Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Gullara »

This is a meta thread for plots of all kinds. If you want to have some separation from the location threads, but don't want to go so far as to make a separate thread, this is a good place for your plot to go.

Rules
  1. Use [Location Tags] or [Plot Tags] on your posts.
  2. Each location or plot is under the control of its creator.
  3. Play nice.
This thread is managed by Gullara. Please contact me for updates to the OP.
Image Image Image
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Morty »

[A Curious Canine Conundrum]

Vulp's tail thumps against the ground when Kestrel pets him. He leans into her hand happily, calming down.

"This little guy has certainly taken a shine to you," Krivka remarks. "And this went quite well. You're a good shot, Kestrel. Though I still don't know what got into those scavengers..."

"Maybe some disease?" The other goblins untangle the pups from the nets and put them on harnesses, then work on calming them down. With the danger gone and familiar people around, it's not too hard.

"If that's the case, we should avoid touching them and have someone else bring them inside quickly. If it spreads, it could get messy."

"I'm a rider, not a zoologist." Krivka shrugs. "There's one more cub to find. Hopefully she hasn't got far."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deathkeeper;25536789 wrote:G'nichi's Home

This humble narrator does not know what Ambrosia was expecting the qaglin to respond with, but it probably wasn't the most casual shrug possible followed by, "Yeah, I know. It's this thing. Binds me forever to have an Interesting Life of a Hero. It'll kill me one of these days. But getting it off is impossible, so I'm just doing the most good I can with my time."
This is...not the tone most people use when discussing their impending demise.
G'nichi's Home

"'Thing'? Elaborate. How did you get 'it'?" She inquires. There seemed to be a lot more about this interloper than she had first thought.
Had she been drawn here but this 'thing' too? Curious, curious.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

How demanding! Still, he doesn't see the point in refusing the questions. Still, does this dragon expect to have an hour-long conversation just floating above his house?
"The Bracelet of Celestial arms provides me with weaponry to protect me on my endeavors. It was created by the dragon Feia, presumably to create a useful pawn in her schemes. Heroes are very predictable." G'nichi is piecing together several small hints that Syncope and Xeni have provided him about Syncope's mother. Though the purpose of the bracelet is something Syncope explained in no uncertain terms.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

G'nichi's Home

Has any part of this 'interview' not been demanding?
"I think since you've now taken a look at my things we would be even if you let me take a look at yours. So if you show me this bracelet of yours then I will forgive your trespassing."

It does seem like the dragon intends to fly closer rather than expecting him to fly out to her.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

G'nichi raises his arm. The bracelet is a delicate work of gold, and yet has withstood all the punishment thrown at G'nichi.
"You may look all you like. Just don't try to mess with it, please. As said, trying to remove it would kill me." Well, trying to remove it magically. Just tugging at it yields no results at all.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist's Centaurs]
”That’s probably true. Things might be kind of wonky because of how I got all of this. Maybe because I technically got the seed before my Cup?” Hard to tell, but it’s very likely. The Cup helps Mist be Mist. Maybe he wasn’t changed at all. He was already this when he earned it. He just hadn’t pieced together his own destiny. Or maybe it’s just really weird.
”Yeah I think I’m getting some reinforcement from the identity all this came with.” He ponders, looking over at Leah and the direction he knows the herd is. He pulls at his Mask again and his coat and hair darken to a black and silver color save for the white lower half of his tail.
”There. I think I’m a little more color coordinated with you and them now.”
He’s still fox colored. Just a different kind.
"That must be it. More rushing into things." Leah says this second part with a joking tone. Huh. Does her voice sound different suddenly?

She shakes her head slightly at the sudden change in his appearance. "That's even stranger, Mist! You still stand out in how the colors are spread out." Truly the silliest centaur around.

Soon enough Leah will head off to discuss the theological implications of things and the new organizational work they'll probably have to do at the temple. Mist, in turn, has a party to prepare for. And lots of centaurs who will want to see him in the meantime.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist's Centaurs

"But I stick out either way!" Mist grumps, though he lets her go with a simple,
"We'll talk tonight."

And then he does have a party to prepare for. He has to get the new common room properly set up for thirty centaurs sitting around in it at the same time, he has to get thirty centaurs' worth of food prepared (and he suddenly has a good idea of just how much one of them can eat) and he has to get it all done in under twelve hours.
He has a lot to set up. He doesn't actually know what kind of food they like. Right now he has an odd craving for spicy food so he's going to make some of that in case that's coming from his new stomachs (which it very well could be) as well as practicing his routine and talking to everyone dropping by to confirm whether or not he's actually a god.

Of course, some part of him hopes that they won't and they will just fall into the Spectra herd's faith for Message, leaving him with just a few followers to keep his Grist from running out without giving him the responsibility. Naturally, this does not happen, and anyone even slightly receptive to the idea that he is replacing their old storm god will find every sign they possibly could want, from Mist's new appearance as one of them to the even more intense signs like the perpetual breeze and the shadow creatures around him (which seem to have exponentially increased in variety). And that's without the general divine feeling they might get around him even though he's still a minor god. By the time the party starts Mist already can feel true belief.
Which doesn't shake much even when he tells them that following him means following Message, that the Dancing Fox accepts all kinds and staying here and being with him means doing the same. He even makes sure he doesn't consciously use his Ring when he plays his flute for them, but by the end of the night he finds himself with a genuine following all the same.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist's Centaurs]

Don't underdo it now, Mist. You'll also have a lot of the existing thirty-three centaurs showing up.

Meanwhile, Leah meets with Cloud and Kestrel and Alex and the highest angels to figure out the implications of this. Space will need to be cleared at the temple, near the shrines to W and Twilight and the fox goddesses, but that's just the beginning. They'll need to address the pursuit of divinity and what it means, and what it doesn't mean.

And Leah will show up at the party at least to clear up one bit of history: displaying a certain spear and cracking the clear sky with black lightning. And there are a few who decide not to bother with Mist, or not to bother with gods at all, as they had declared back at the cave, but there are far too many for Mist to get out of all responsibility.

There's also a matter of other followers, who don't have four legs. The brass man makes his way in to listen to the flute performance. The angular flying machine he arrived in seems to have positioned itself yet closer to the Inn by the time of the celebration.

A success, all in all, even if not the success he was entirely hoping for.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist's Centaurs

If Leah is lucky perhaps her full self already planned for this possibility. She did offer the seed to Mist in the first place, after all. And she had wanted to speak to him when he had told her he'd have joined her pantheon if it would have helped her. Perhaps Message knew all of this would happen? As far as the stories are concerned, perhaps Mist will go down in the stories as having been made a god both by the will of his predecessor's ghost and Message's permission. He isn't going to elaborate more than he already has, at least.

Mist was expecting the brass man and the sapient vehicle to stick around for a while, but he was not expecting them to become followers in that way. Are they sure? They know even less about him than the centaurs.
He is pleasantly surprised to find the room big enough for all seventy guests. But then, he did use an awful lot of Grist to make sure it does that, didn't he? Still, surely the other centaurs of Message's herd wouldn't be so convinced to join his faith. They're hers after all. Though he did just inform them that they are not mutually exclusive, which might clear up that trouble.

And the last order of business for the night is that Mist asks if any would follow him as more than just believers. He will need an assistant, an envoy, a Messenger to help him speak to the herd (though they are not fools, and they will likely discern his actual meaning that he needs someone to explain their culture to them so he doesn't look ignorant). He will also need workers to work the Inn if they expect to be staying long-term. With that settled, he should be able to retire. Unless of course, any of them wish to speak to him about things.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist's Centaurs]

If Message knew all along how this would unfold, luck didn't really have anything to do with it, did it? It's not like Leah is acting comp0letely on her own.

As for the mechanical guests, they're sure enough. Their long sojourns in the dreamworld have given them a sense for where they need to be, and after coming all this way, what are they going to do? Not join the congregation? Preposterous.

The old mare who led everyone through the portal canters up to be an advisor and messenger to the herd. Who knows them better, after all? (Who has more to lose in the herd's eyes if this goes badly?). Anyone else might prove harder to find at the moment - this is all still pretty new.
People to help at the Inn are in greater supply.

As for where they want to reside, they're torn between building a second longhouse or expanding the existing longhouse. Staying in the Inn long-term is floated as a possibility, but it's not the most popular one at all. For Mist, there's a tradeoff between working more closely with his followers, and letting them do more of the work. :silly:

When Mist finally does retire from all his work and performance, Leah will be waiting for him.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist's Centaurs

Being absolutely fair here, Mist is a god of the wind and travelers. Building long-term living spaces is so far outside his portfolio it's almost the opposite. He can certainly offer to support them in the endeavor but it's not his wheelhouse. Personally, his suggestion is that building a second longhouse next to the first one would be the most practical, since if they expand the existing one that would require that half of the herd to be without a home until the renovations were complete. Making a single building big enough for them all would take a lot of space anyway. Or magic.

Still, once the administrative decisions are made (or at least pushed back for later) and any ceremony the centaurs would like to make are completed he can retire to his own room.
The moment the door is closed he sinks down against it, letting out a deep breath.
"Well, that uh. Well it went better than I was expecting. I think." at least he thinks so. No one argued with him about him being a vassal-god of Message, Leah got to assert herself by displaying that spear, and some of the centaurs even told him that he looked very good (and not ridiculous) as one of them! Well, literally all of them said he looked better like this but he wasn't sure if all of them thought he looked good. But that's what happens when you're fox-colored and in a group known as the Dark Fox herd. You're a little bit of a joke. But Mist can accept being mostly patron and a little bit mascot.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist's Centaurs]

Mist making a suggestion helps them settle it. Even if he doesn't have any idea how and when to raise buildings, it gives them something to focus on and persuade people of. A new longhouse it'll be. And in the meantime, there's plenty of space in the inn.

Leah steps up and puts a hand on Mist's shoulder. "It did! You did great with them there." There is a sort of levity to it all, but that's to be expected when Mist can't take things entirely seriously. And it's probably good to keep that lightheartedness with him as he takes on such a big responsibility.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist’s Centaurs

Mist does his best to straighten up when Leah puts her hand on him. He smiles weakly, going over to change into his-
Oh right. He doesn’t really need his pajama pants now does he? Well. At least the blessing of the Inn changed all the furniture designed for him into furniture designed for the new him. It’s not much of a change; half the room was already designed for Leah’s convenient.
”Well, I’m glad you agree. I…I know that you don’t think I’m serious enough. But um. Do you think I’ll be okay with the responsibility?” he asks her.
Mist has many, many things he wants to ask Leah. Some of them he’s been wanting to ask for longer than just since his seed stabilized into his new identity. But if he asks her now will she think he’s just rushing into more things? How does he know what time is a good time to bring things up? That’s something he can’t rely on anyone else to just tell him.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist's Centaurs]

Nope. Pajama shirt will do for all, now.

Leah hops over to some giant-cat-friendly furnishing. The place is a bit more spacious now, isn't it? The other half of the room lifted out and opened up. That's nice. "I think you'll do fine. You have us to help you, and people in the herd who want to make this work." Leah affirms. It's like Mist said - he'll screw it up on his own, but he doesn't have to do it on his own. With the right support, he can handle this responsibility. He's approaching it with a good heart.

As for Leah, this is probably a fine time to ask her things. She's over the initial shock, and happy with what he's done on several counts. Or, you know, he could just ask if it's a good time to talk.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist's Centaurs

Mist unbuckles his little bag. He wanders over to one of his new giant cushion-chairs and sits down. Frowns. Gets up, sits down again.
Leah might pick up on the fact that he hasn't actually sat down since this morning and doesn't actually know how he's supposed to get comfortable in this body.
"Well. I think in the next few days I'm going to also need your help learning about my Charities and what having them means for me. I think I've been using them today but I need to work on control, clearly."
Mist leans back, looking up at the ceiling.
"And um. Maybe ask about some uh. Other things that I'm going to need help with. And other stuff that isn't about me um. Is now a bad time for any of this?"
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist & Non-Centaur]

"Oh, I remember you want to sit down slightly on your side, usually. Like this-" Leah sort of demonstrates, shifting posture on this lounge with her fairly differently-sized legs.

"Mhm. You don't want to overuse them, that can really exhaust you. And sometimes it can be bad to use them, depending on the situation." Leah gives a nod, slightly nervous about where Mist is going with all that.
"No, now is fine. You know you can just talk to me in general, right? I'll make time for you." Sure, maybe the way Leah reacts to what Mist says will be another disappointment, but she will at least listen.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist and Leah

"Yeah. My charities could be misused so I don't want to do that. Probably also why Message told me not to get a Blade." Blades are dangerous. He's still not entirely clear on what the Cup does for him. It's still clearly very important.
Mist twiddles his thumbs a bit. Any sense of the bold, confident leader that the herd wants of him is not in this room right now.
"Um. You remember the thing you wanted to do? That I kept saying no about? Um. I might have changed my mind. I was planning on talking about it for a while but today really told me that I can handle more than I thought so um. Well.
Did you still want a kid? I thought I would ask in case, well, you didn't like the idea of them being half Very Ridiculous Centaur."
he tries to smile at that but he's clearly very serious. He doesn't care how their genes work but what if Leah does?
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist and Leah]

"That's exactly right. We knew you would be responsible in that sense, but it still bears caution."
The Ring may be morally hazardous, but the Blade is definitely morally and literally hazardous.

Leah smiles at him. Aww, how cute he is playing with his thumbs shyly trying to say something. Is this how she seemed to Mist all those times?
"Mhm, I remember." It's kind of a moderate ongoing concern with her. And then her ears prick up and her tails wave and she has to hold herself back from leaping up off the lounge and running over to Mist. "Yes of course I do! Do you mean it?" She's still smiling, but now in a most excited way and not to be encouraging. "And don't worry over this new transformation. I had kinda...prepared some things just in case you said yes but were also worried about your aspects or about me being this ridiculous creature. We just have to decide what'll be best for them, that is, if they don't decide for themselves by getting a Mask someday, barring other magic of course, but-" Maybe he should stop Leah from rambling too much.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist and Leah

Mist blinks but relaxes. He should have known Leah would be excited.
"Yeah, I mean it. I mean, I don't think I want us to have quintuplets or anything, but I think we can start trying to make a family happen. Uh. I guess if we have options we can start them off without too many 'extras' and they can get them if they want them."
Maybe the herd would object to their god choosing to have a human child instead of one of them, but they don't have to know he did it on purpose. And if they find out and judge him, well, too bad. After all, they probably can't be a human, a deer, a tiger, a horse, and a fox all at the same time, so it's probably the safest if any hypothetical child start off as simple aspect-wise as a child of a minor god and a living Charity can.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Morty wrote: Aug 01, 2022 5:52 pm [A Curious Canine Conundrum]

Vulp's tail thumps against the ground when Kestrel pets him. He leans into her hand happily, calming down.

"This little guy has certainly taken a shine to you," Krivka remarks. "And this went quite well. You're a good shot, Kestrel. Though I still don't know what got into those scavengers..."

"Maybe some disease?" The other goblins untangle the pups from the nets and put them on harnesses, then work on calming them down. With the danger gone and familiar people around, it's not too hard.

"If that's the case, we should avoid touching them and have someone else bring them inside quickly. If it spreads, it could get messy."

"I'm a rider, not a zoologist." Krivka shrugs. "There's one more cub to find. Hopefully she hasn't got far."

"Aww... who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? Yes you're a good boy, aren't you?" Kestrel couldn't resist fussing over Vulp some more after that adorable little tail thump. She reached into her bag again, retrieving another piece of dried meat which the cub quickly snatched up. It seems that Kestrel had taken just as quickly to Vulp as he had to her.

Kestrel swelled a little with pride at Krivka's compliment. "Thanks! I'm really glad I made that shot... don't wanna think about what coulda happened to the cubs if I didn't.... and it's a good thing you're as great with that crossbow as you are too!" She set about untying Vulp from the tree as well. She had to reign him in so he didn't sniff around at the dead birds- the goblins wondering about some possible disease had her worried. Instead, she pulled him closer to the other pups, who he started to sniff at.

"Let's just hope there aren't any more of these birds around," the bird-kin said, as she moved to assist in finding whatever trail might exist of the last lost cub.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist and Leah]

Oh, that combination is easy. Tiger-striped centaur with antlers and fox ears.
Be that as it may, human will be just fine. No need for extra legs past their original bodies, or weird ears, or statements about their favorite animals, or going back many centuries and being completely non-humanoid.
"Oh, thank you, Mist! That's wonderful news." He really did come into that responsibility when he was ready. There had been some faint worries that a few years would turn into a few more ears would turn into never.
"No quintuplets, that's good; five at once would be a lot to handle~

"And there was some other other stuff you wanted to talk about?" Leah asks, practically bouncing with joy.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

Krivka surveys the area.

"The two of you take the pups home and send someone to drag the carcasses in," she says. "We can't risk them staying in the open. Kestrel and I will find the last cub."

"I'm not sure if Vulp will agree to go without her," one of the goblins remarks after an unsuccessful attempt at leading him away.

"Then the two of us and Vulp will find his brother." Krivka's mouth curves in a knowing smile.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist and Leah

"I mean, do the preparations you made actually let you decide on a number? I had only been thinking of starting with one like most people do." Mist feels the need to clear the air with that one just in case Leah has expectations he doesn't know about.
"But yeah. You're welcome. We can start trying once you're prepared." Mist assumes that will be Very Soon but not now. His first instinct is to wait a little bit until he's settled into his new duties at least a few days but well...once that process is started all he has to do is wait anyway. Leah is the one who would be doing the work carrying children.
Mist doesn't mention that he continues to find funny ears adorable. If their kids are to have them, they'll get them.
"Um. there were some other things but they don't have to be now. This is a pretty big thing." He's kind of curious about how the theological discussion went but if it went poorly he doesn't want to kill the mood.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist and Leah]

"No, not exactly. I think my body would normally tend to a few? But one is just fine with me."
Well, Mist might have the easier job, but he'll have plenty of supporting and preparing to do.
"Okay, if they can wait they can wait for tomorrow. I'll be right back!"
And now she does spring up and zip out of the room. Just needs to run up to the fort and back...
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mist and Leah

Between her excited energy and the eternal favor of the Nexus’ newest god of travel, Leah will surely get to the fort and back in record time.

Mist takes this opportunity to tidy up the place and undress. He feels odd without his Charities on but there’s no need to sleep with them. They’ll be just fine five feet away. He tries not to think about if he suddenly feels better without all that. The new half of the herd didn’t seem as keen to run around naked as the half that was already here so at least that’s probably not influencing him. Probably. Hopefully.
Either way without his shirt on when Leah comes back she’ll be able to tell that Mist’s new self is only a little bigger than his old one, though his muscles are more defined and he’s lost the few pounds he had been starting to gain over the last few years mostly sitting around running the Inn.

He’ll just sitting around reading when she comes back in. After all, he theoretically doesn’t have to sleep anymore.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Mist and Leah]

Mist is rushing things again - in this case his judgement of the herd. Unless he does something to stop them, they'll be back to nothing but scarves and pouches within the month. Probably within the week.

After a sprint to-and-from her fort, Leah bursts back into their room in, as predicted, record time. She would be out of breath if getting out of breath were a thing that could happen to her. A long-standing divine magic she's had on her is gone, and a couple more spin invisibly in its place.

Her excited energy falters for a moment when she sees Mist- he really does look different now. Not at all the person she's gotten used to all these years. And all the times she's imagined this moment, it never went much like this. But she can feel that he's still him - more him than ever in fact - so it doesn't slow her down for long at all.
► SHOW SPOILER
"Alright. Preparations done!"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Keeper wrote: Aug 02, 2022 4:42 pm G'nichi's Home

G'nichi raises his arm. The bracelet is a delicate work of gold, and yet has withstood all the punishment thrown at G'nichi.
"You may look all you like. Just don't try to mess with it, please. As said, trying to remove it would kill me." Well, trying to remove it magically. Just tugging at it yields no results at all.
G'nichi's Home

The dragon descends to the point where she almost lands on G'nichi's balcony before she goes back to hoovering not far away from him.
At this point he can feel her warm breath and just how much air is being moved by those gigantic wings of hers.
She's flapping them far too slowly to actually hoover however which implies that there's magic involved if that wasn't obvious already.

Her eyes seems to be studying not only the bracelet but him as well as she maintains her flight.

"Die? How?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

G'nichi shakes his head.
"I was spared the details. What I have been told is that it is tightly entwined with my soul, and all previous bearers who tried to remove it suffered greatly for the attempt. I have decided not to test my luck. It's bad enough as it is."
He does have a habit of always succeeding but in the most painful manner possible. Kara has had to fix him up more times than she'd like. Though being fair one healing session is probably more than she'd have liked. She's a very caring person.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

G'nichi's Home

'Spared'? But the details were the spicy part!

"And who told you this? Someone you trust? Perhaps one of the people that were in my sanctuary?"