Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Gullara »

Murkus wrote: May 03, 2023 4:12 pm [Hot Spring Aftermath]

Adir thinks for a minute, and he smiles slow. He puts an arm around Sakura, hand on her belly, and leans his head into the side of hers. "Listen. I wasn't so drunk that I couldn't think for myself. And it wasn't your responsibility to reason us out of anything. Anything I did last night... I did because I wanted to. Not because of booze." Adir glances down at Calanthe. Then at Sakura again, peering into her eyes. He whispers, "I'm sure Calanthe feels the same."

He thinks a little more on that last that Sakura says, and then adds, "Is this... I mean... Is this what you wanted?" He swallows. "What you want?"
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

"Um, I'm not sure? I guess?" It's not as though Sakura really thought her impulsive feelings would ever end up here. It's hard to say that this was something she specifically wanted. "I mean... As long as no one has any hurt feelings, it was, um, nice?" She can't help but be a little uncertain. This was all very sudden.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Where has she SEEN someone like that before?

Khannie is dead certain she's seen that exact outfit recently. But when?

Anway.

Urns.

Jace looks inside one of them! It's full of some sort of fragrant oil that smells really nice. Khannie, meanwhile, looks UNDER one of the turns and finds-!

"Hey! There's a note or something!"
she announces, holding up a small slip of paper displaying something akin to a tic tac toe grid. Except the grid is a four by four square instead of three by three. There's a 1 written in the top right square and another 1 written in the top left square. Maybe it's a hint for an upcoming puzzles?

Khannie glances around the room at the layout of the urns. There are WAY more than sixteen of them in here, so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the pots. Probably.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Maybe it's a hint about the starting position of the next room's puzzle? Come on, let's look."
Off they go to the next room.
Hopefully that guy doesn't break all the pots.
Or maybe they're there specifically to be broken? Who knows with this place.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Maybe..."

Oh yeah!

It's time to look at the next room alright!

Our heroes find themselves in ANOTHER room with a doorway to the south and a sealed door to the east. There's also some kind of puzzle built into the floor, but it looks all sealed up. There's a conduit leading from the compass rose in the main room to the puzzle and from the puzzle to the door, but the conduits aren't lit up at the moment. Maybe they have to get power to the puzzle to keep it going? While it's possible to poke at the floor tiles themselves, they don't respond to any fiddling.

Though the southern doorway is a circular platform flanked by sphinx statues and flight of stairs leading up to a sealed door to the west. Each statue has an inscription at its base.

"Do you think we should mess with the statues or try sticking the keystone in the thingy back in the main room to see if it turns the puzzle on?" Khannie asks the designated grownups of the group.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Wow. With this many branching doors we could be here for a while."

"That's the beauty of groups, Khannie. You can do multiple things at once!" Zebes says, who fishes through Jace's pocket for the keystone and takes off to go put it in the slot back in the main room. Jace goes to read the inscriptions on the statues.
"For the record, splitting the party is a terrible idea most of the time. This is a safe place, though. The azatas would probably at worst throw us into a pool to escape from, so we don't have to worry about being ambushed while we're separated."
It's a pretty terrible idea anywhere you don't have that guarantee.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 06, 2023 4:19 pm Fetchquest
Greed

"Sorry, miss. Can't help you there. This was a gift, in exchange for forgiving a debt of a thousand gold. From my understanding, it's some kind'a family heirloom anyway. Whoever made it is long dead." The goblin grins toothily at Tahara. "I'd be willing to part with it, but it's worth a thousand gold t'me. And worth more to the idiot what named it collateral. So I'll sell it t' you for two thousand, or something worth as much, since I could probably get that guy to gimme three to get it back... if he ever drags himself out of his hole." Which does at least confirm the acorn-pommelled sword with the 'M' on it is likely Mat's, though buying it does seem unlikely.
[Fetchquest]

"Wait, really? You're offering to sell?" Tahara puts a finger to her chin and takes a moment to contemplate the idea. "...Hm. I don't think you'd get two thousand for it. I mean, if the guy's pawning off a piece like that to make ends meet, he's probably really deep into it...how about twelve hundred? That's more than it's worth to you, and still by a pretty fair margin." She rocks back and forth on her heels, playing up the "naive child" look as much as she can. "How about it, mister?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"We had to split the party during that dumb Jellymoon Witch thing,"
Khannie muses. "But that was because we had to hit lotsa stuff at the same time and there was a timer."

She doesn't mention the part where 'if you don't get out of the Labyrinth in time you get eaten'.

That doesn't need to be reiterated. She doesn't need to think about lost friends right now.

But... a place like this? That's kind of inevitable, isn't it? This is, technically, a land of the dead. It leads Khannie to wonder what happened to Ester. Or... what happened to the rest of her? Her soul. Is it like this place where the souls get jumbled up and used to create these beings? If that's true then her friend is just gone forever.

All that's left is for people who cared about her to remember her.

Right.

Focus.

Khannie takes a deep breath.

Anywho! Zebes heads off to test the keystone! He'll find that placing it in the bracing causes a flicker of light to illuminate the central pillar, but it pretty obviously isn't fully powered. Chances are our heroes need four stones to continue.

Meanwhile, Khannie and Jace examine the statues!

Khannie wrinkles her nose at the writing. "'Who are you?' That's it? That's a kinda dumb question to ask."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace stands dramatically at the center of the platform and announces their names.
This probably doesn’t do anything.

”Well, we know there has to be something here. This powers the puzzle which powers the other doors which presumably have keys for the main room. It’s a fairly linear set of requirements.”

Zebes is busy fluttering back to the party. Singing of course.
”Whooooo are you? Who-who, who-who?”
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Reception
bc56 wrote: May 06, 2023 9:14 pm Mary steps out of the Vanity door and greets the twilek again. "Hi. I'd like to go to to the Greed room now." This is the first person she's encountered since her "changes," not counting Mat who didn't seem to notice. She's a little worried about the reaction. She's also worried because she's not sure she can sneak Mat by.
"Of course, it's just through there. Do you want to change some money before you go inside, or are you prepared for gambling?" The twi'lek pulls out a card machine, ready to take some money from a bank account and provide some physical coinage that is so much easier to gamble away.
Mat's hiding on the stairs behind, trying to line up a shot with her catapult without getting spotted first.

Greed
Ironsmith wrote: May 08, 2023 1:45 pm "Wait, really? You're offering to sell?" Tahara puts a finger to her chin and takes a moment to contemplate the idea. "...Hm. I don't think you'd get two thousand for it. I mean, if the guy's pawning off a piece like that to make ends meet, he's probably really deep into it...how about twelve hundred? That's more than it's worth to you, and still by a pretty fair margin." She rocks back and forth on her heels, playing up the "naive child" look as much as she can. "How about it, mister?"
"Twelve hundred? Here an' now? You even got so much, missy? Cos' you don't look the sort to be wading in lucre, catch me drift?" The goblin's tempted, but he's not going to hand it over until he's seen the money.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Really? I don't look like the kind of gal who lives frugally, eats dirt cheap, pays as little rent as possible, uses no utilities and squirrels away every penny she gets?" Tahara asks, still rocking back and forth. "I have twelve hundred, yeah, but not exactly on hand in a little baggie that I can just pass over now. I'd be willing to make the exchange at... we'll say Mallside, in a few hours. Whenever your shift ends. And since I know convenience is an issue, I'll throw in a free fortune telling for your trouble. How does that sound?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Dramatic name announcement!

Yeah that doesn't do anything.

Zebes decides to try answering the puzzle by identifying himself as a dork.

That doesn't do anything, either.

Khannie is, meanwhile, thinking.

Who are you?

"Obviously it doesn't just want our names. There's gotta be more to it than that," she reasons. Especially since their names didn't get any reaction from the statues and door and whatever. "Who am I? I guess I'm a lotta things, right? I'm your daughter. And Zebes' niece. And a student at PREP. And a cape! And Arthfael's boyfriend. And an amateur archeologist. I'm a digidestined and a friend to lotsa people and a pokemon too I guess."

Then there comes a flash of insight.

Eudaemonia. She's read about that before. Good spirit. What makes a good life? A life worth living? That's what the riddle is, isn't it? And if that's what the riddle is then 'who are you?' needs to be thought of in those terms.

"I think it might be asking what makes your life worth living. Like... what's the meaning of life? Or, I guess, what gives your life meaning?"

There's a soft musical hum from the statues. Khannie's on the right path!

What gives Jace's life meaning?

Who is he?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace smiles and bends down, drawing a finger across the statue’s plaque under the inscription. It leaves letters in its wake.
Father, husband, craftsman. Hero (retired, sometimes)
Because the most important things in life are who you share it with and what you accomplish together.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Retired sometimes.

Hah.

As far as adventures go, this one has been pretty innocuous thus far.

Interesting! And exciting!

But innocuous.

Also that appears to have been the right answer. Seek the good spirit and you will find it in what you create for those that come after. Or, at the very least, an answer. IS there a a right answer to the Riddle of Eudaemonia? Or are there many? That's part of the riddle, as it happens.

The doors slide open, revealing the next chamber, filling the air with the heavy heady scent of flowers. In the center of the room is a huge cobra head statue that, every six seconds, rotates ninety degrees and blasts a CONE OF VERY COLORFUL FLOWER PETALS everywhere! There's a good chance that when this realm belonged to a demon lord the statue blasted a cone of something far less pleasant. On the north end of the room is another doorway leading out. However, there are also FIVE objects that look like they might contain treasure!

-A large treasure chest at the foot of the snake statue.
-A cabinet of dark, polished wood and bronze against the east wall.
-An urn plated with silver and set with emeralds on a shelf to the west.
-A hollow statuette of a kneeling set-animal made of onyx and gold.
-A colorful paper wrapped cardboard box with a ribbon that looks WILDLY out of place.

Khannie laughs at the snake statue. "Okay this is kinda doofy."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, those petals don't look particularly threatening, but we don't want to fail the challenge. We should split up and search these containers for keystones."
"Hey Khannie, could you do ghost nonsense to pass through the floor and check without getting blasted?" Zebes suggests.

From a distance, Jace can use his basic Opening spell to open the chest and cabinet. Which doesn't really help them but it does mean that Zebes can fly up to the ceiling and look from above on them to see if they're empty or not. But the urn and statue will need to be inspected up close. And someone will have to get around the statue and snatch the box from under it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"We just gotta be careful to not get blasted by the statue," Khannie reasons as she watches it rotate before spewing forth another spray of fragrant floral confetti.

...now she's wondering if someone cleans this stuff up or something.

Wouldn't the floor just be totally covered in flower petals or something?

Maybe it only starts doing its thing when someone opens up the door?

"Neh... not really,"
Khannie admits to Zebes. "I can't touch stuff when I go insubstantial. And gravity kinda... ignores me. So whatever direction I'm going in I keep going in. If I jumped through the floor I'd keep falling until I went mostly solid in. And then I would hafta dig outta the floor when I'm half-solid."

Which she has done before.

It's like slogging through really thick mud and one hundred percent exhausting and not a fun time. Khannie can phase through thin barriers or use the trick to dodge attacks but otherwise she's a bit limited. If she could just fly around like a haunter or whatever then it would be WAY easier.

But either way! She heads toward the snake statue! Mostly she just runs over to the thing when it's pointing in the opposite direction and moves with it so she's always behind the petal spray. Once she's on the correct side she grabs the set animal statue and scurries back when the way is clear!

"Got it!"

Zebes will have a good view of the inside of the fancy chest. It's full of jade bees. Like little figurines. Not actual bees.

Khannie, meanwhile, kneels down and pops the back off the little statue. Inside are some magic scrolls and a piece of citrine with arcane runes carved into it. Fancy.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Well, old fashioned way it is.”
Jace employs a very similar strategy to Khannie, skirting around the statue as he goes to grab the urn. Zebes meanwhile flutters to the back of the statue and attempts to snatch the box and fly off with it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Lobby
"I have money," Mary answers, taking a half-step to the right to give Mat a clear shot. This should hopefully be over quickly and they can get on with the rescue.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Lobby

The twi'lek nods and puts the card machine away, before an acorn bounces off her forehead and she topples over, completely rigid. "Sorry, didn't want to risk it with you so close. Might've put you to sleep as well, and then I'd not have been able to wake you up without waking her up. How the magic works." The twi'lek's eyes move frantically from side-to-side, the only part of her body she's actually able to move, even as Mat comes the rest of the way down and picks up the acorn again.

Greed

"Nope, you look the sort who don't use or need cash much, perennially unemployed an' homeless, and who has never touched real gold afore. You better not be payin' for it in a wheelbarrow of copper. I won't be accepting a wheelbarrow of copper. More mass than it's worth, a wheelbarrow of copper." Unless it's copper ingots or something, anyway. A wheelbarrow filled with copper coins is just... a nightmare to deal with, the goblin thinks. "See you there, at [time]." The goblin turns and walks off, to scam someone else perhaps.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Yes, the old fashioned way! Khannie is likewise scurrying about to make sure she doesn't get caught in a petal blast while collecting the various containers. It isn't hard, honestly. The statue rotates slowly enough that you would only be in danger of getting blasted if you were really careless. Or if, say, this room were full of evil mummies trying to murder you. That would make navigating it while avoiding the statue breath much harder.

But there aren't any mummies in here.

Thankfully.

Before too long our heroes have gathered all the containers! There aren't any keystones to be found. But there IS a big fancy old fashioned brass key in the gaudily wrapped gift-box. It looks like it would fit into the big novelty lock and chain holding the exit to the room lashed shut. It should just be a matter of dancing around the statue and unlocking the door to continue.

Khannie smiles, having a lot of fun in spite of how doofy this is. "This place is cool. It's like one of those escape room things where you have to solve the puzzles to get to the next part."

She's pretty glad they decided to check it out.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

What a terrible and entirely hypothetical situation it would be for this room to be full of mummies.
"Well, I'm glad you're having fun, since at this rate we still have at least twenty rooms to go!" Jace says cheerily. The number of chained puzzles so far indicates that this 'dungeon' is pretty long.

With some effort they should be able to skirt around the statue blasts and get the door unlocked and opened before they get blasted.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Message recieved!" Tahara grins, popping up her hand in an almost-salute. Okay, good. That's that dealt with, at least for the moment. All she has to do is remember to visit a bank, find Boorab's boytoy, and get them both the hell out of here without doing anything that might make the goblin call the deal off.

Right. Where was she?

Oh, yes. The bookies.

Tahara turns and starts toward the dwarf with the earpiece. She isn't sure what to say to him yet, but maybe being near him will give her some ideas.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
"Thanks for that," Mary would rather not spend the rest of the adventure unconscious. "It's right through here." She pulls back the curtain and opens the Greed door.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

The dwarf with the earpiece nods slightly and alters the rates for the coming match. Tahara would probably need to sneak a bug onto him in order to listen to whatever the person on the other end is saying, or just go to Wrath and find the person with the microphone. That might also work. For now, he's ignoring Tahara, and taking money from people and handing out slips of paper to record the bet on.

Mary and Mat enter! They're approached by a waiter wearing a black polo shirt and combat trousers, holding a plate of snacks. "Welcome! We've got many sorts of gambling available, if you have coin. Cage fights, cards, dice, roulette... What interests you lovely ladies today?" The human waiter smiles wide, though Mat frowns at him. She's already noted to be uninterested in humans, and thinks anyone interested in her is odd, if they aren't also a fluffy individual.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Our heroes unlock the door and move on to the next chamber to discover!

A flight of stairs! Going down into a little cellar sort of thing? And a second flight of stairs leading to an open doorway. On one wall of the cellar is a pedestal with a keystone sitting on it. Score! One the opposite wall is a sphinx statue in a reclining position with a framed symbol above it that looks like a circle with a horizontal slash through it.
I am the first joy.
Khannie eyes the symbol, pulling out her notepad and making a quick sketch of it along with the inscription.

"I bet that's gunna be part of a puzzle later."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes will take the keystone. If there's no traps or anything he'll go to fly it back to the central chamber to see if more of the puzzles activate.
"So do you think our host asked for the entire realm to be covered in statues of herself or did it just happen on its own?"
It does seem a little arrogant. But who knows.
"Well we still have that puzzle two rooms back. We should see if we can do that one now."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"The guy Uncle Zebes was talking to said that all the stuff here are things that got offered to Eudaemonia, so maybe these are like spiritual echos of statues people made of her somewhere else? Sort of like the other offerings?" Khannie reasons as she finishes up her sketch. "Or maybe they just came with the place? It sounds like the demon that used to own this place was a sphinx, too. Just a mean one. So maybe she had all the statues that were already here redone?"

Just need to do a little bit of work on the statues! Like giving them a better tail and a nose.

And then comes a suggestion! To which Khannie nods. "Yeah lets see if it's working yet."

Perhaps to Zebes' disappointment putting keystones into two of the four settings doesn't activate the pedestal, either. No magical power is flowing from it through the conduits. Skirting around the petal spitting cobra statue back to the floor puzzle will find it still dark and deactivated. Khannie frowns at the tiles, poking them a bit to see if they'll react.

"I think we probably need all four of the keystones to turn this thing on."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Hrm." Jace scratches his chin.
The door to the west is sealed. The doors in the other room are sealed. And the other door in the central chamber are sealed.
So! Only one path left. "

Jace points to the stairs up. It seems like that is in fact the only path currently available.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

One path available! But really, that just means they aren't dealing with a MAZE in addition to dealing with puzzles.

Which makes sense.

Sphinxes are all about riddles and puzzles.

Not about mazes.

Eudaemonia took the former domain of the Faceless Sphinx, not Baphomet.

"Let's see what's in here," Khannie says as she tromps up the stairs and! Another room! With another puzzle! And a sealed door to the east. The puzzle this time is a familiar one, though. A four by four grid of tiles, magic flowing through a conduit from a small glowing pillar sticking out of the wall. Khannie immediately pulls out the note they found!

"Hey, I bet this is what the paper was about. Let's see..."

Then she pokes to two corners at the top of the grid they flip over, revealing matching symbols. But now their clues are gone. She picks another at random, revealing another different symbol. Then a fourth and yet another symbol, causing ALL the tiles to flip back over.

"Oh! It's one of those match two memory games!"

Khannie sketches out a quick grid to begin filling in. "I hope we don't lose if we make too many guesses."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Presumably Eudaemonia thought that being a big flying catlady would be better than being a cowperson.
It probably depends largely on how much you value wings over thumbs.
"Well, the clue in the last room was a circle with a line through it. We can start on the edges?"

Zebes pokes at the two ones they know work, and then two more mirrored tiles on either side. Maybe if they go around it will form a circle (or a box, close enough) like the 'first joy?'
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Well being a flying catlady was going on BEFORE everything got really crazy so that really wasn't even a question. Also Eudaemonia might have utterly destroyed Baphomet's demonic domain and released all the tormented souls imprisoned there. Just a little bit. Devouring the old goat's power really wasn't on the menu. But devouring Areshkagal's power and taking her realm as Eudaemonia's own? That one worked out just fine.

It was changed from a place of nihilism and death to a place of joy and life!

A pretty great flip, right?

So. Tiles are flipped. The second two don't match, though. But Khannie DOES note down the symbols in her book. It takes some trial and error, but once she's got them all figured out it's a matter of matching them up and! Once all the images have been matched there comes a little musical tone and the far wall sides open to revealing a flight of stairs descending into the basement of the pyramid.

It looks...

Ominous!

And a little exciting.

"Well that wasn't too hard! It just took a little persistence."

The stairs descend downward into a chamber full of deep blue black sand flecked with shining motes of silver. It looks like gazing at the night sky.