Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche watches him fall, waits a second, and sighs. "Fuck." Lowering her pistol, she approaches the body, checks for a pulse - and after confirming the hole in his head was in fact fatal, she turns his head to the side with a grimace and retrieves the man's earpiece.

"Right, lets see if this works," she mutters, slipping it into her other ear and turning the radio on before checking the room for possible routes inwards. Then the sound of echoing boots seizes her focus. Eyes narrowing, she draws her rifle and watches the nearest hallway, ready to engage whoever emerges.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

Definitely not in the same building.

But it IS in the same campus.

The industrial complex of Roseluck AgriCorp is pretty large. The TALL building is mostly just there to serve as the offices for the bureaucratic side of the corporation. Jade will be taken to a series low buildings with several prominent smoke stacks sticking out the top. A sugar refinery! She's probably about to learn more about sugar refining than she ever wanted to know. She'll be met by a unicorn mare and a hobbet wearing a yellow hard-hat (Jade will be offered one as well) who will begin giving her the tour!

"Hello! You must be the representative from Phalanx Industries. I'm Frinny Nobbins and this is Lucky Charms, we'll be showing you around the factory today," the hobbet says in a gregarious and 100% fair-use sort of way. See, you can tell he isn't a hobbit because his feet are covered in fur instead of curly hair.

Totally biologically and legally distinct.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
"Thanks for helping me on such short notice," Jade answers. "Let's get started as quickly as possible."
Jade knows nothing about sugar refining. Odds are good she won't even recognize if anything's wrong unless it's either really blatant or someone else points it out. But she needs to see, just to be sure.
But there must be something here, right? Chestnut said so.
She also said it would unstick Jade's story, whatever that means. Maybe she's not that trustworthy.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Recaiden wrote: Oct 17, 2022 5:16 pm [The Demons' Lair]

Sophia nods. "Yes. Lots of us still need light to see, so these sprout all over down here."
She skips ahead - her kind of demon mostly walk on their toes, as it happens - further into the tunnel, silently warning the others to expect Mia and be nice.
"As for making vehicles to fit us, it's hard, because, well, we have lots of different physiology." For example, the demonic guardian beast in the room ahead, which they're walking past. Over a dozen feet long, looking like a cross between an anteater, a crab, and a bunker.
[The Demons' Lair]

"Well that explain the use of portals your kind has." Mia replies. "It is kinda impossible to mass product anything if there are so many major differences. You could go for individual vehicle but that would require time and resources."

Mia doesn't really react to the silent communication, mainly because she doesn't notice it.

"But I assume thats not the issue you asked me to come here for, right?"
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[A Curious Canine Conundrum]

"Heh. I guess you relate from the other side. You look a bit young to have kids." Krivka flashes Kes a brief smile. It seems that, like some animals, goblins don't usually show their teeth while smiling, unless the smile is wide.

As the two speak, they climb a spiral stairway around a stalactite and ascend onto a catwalk. From there, it's a straight way to a house, half-jutting out of the rock face. Ruboda flings the door open with gusto.

"Mooom! We're hooooome!"

A flurry of activity answers her. Instead of her mother, she's for now greeted by four other goblins, two of whom are even smaller than she is and evidently younger. All of them share Ruboda's dark skin and have very large ears compared to the rest of their bodies.

"Who's that? And is that a wolf?" one of the tiny goblins is staring straight at Kestrel with big, dark red cat-like eyes.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[The Demons' Lair]

"I suppose it does. We need some way to get around quickly, after all."
They pass through the tunnel into the main cavern, where the living castle, the heart of the demons' lair, stands with its claws digging into the stone. Then they quickly turn to the right and leave through another side tunnel.

"Right. I can't ask you to revamp our who transportation infrastructure. Specifically, you're familiar with radar, right?"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Feline Family Friction]

The earpiece did indeed work, and immediately proved to be quite valuable. "Argon and Cobalt, keep her attention. Dyspro, flank her and take her out. Snikt, keep an eye out for any more of those VIGIL bastards." Elizabeth's gaze flicked with frightened eyes back and forth between her work and... well, she wasn't sure what Zarra was anymore. Her captor? That wasn't quite right, but it was damn close.

A smoke grenade bounced off the wall into Blanche's sight, filling the corridor ahead of her with smoke. She could hear movement from somewhere behind it, and then a sudden burst of shots, fired blind through the smoke vaguely towards her. And, just as she had heard, someone was approaching from a different room to the side. It might be hard to hear them though, over the intermittent sounds of gunfire.

"Hah, yeah. That's not something I want to think about... ever, probably. But definitely not now." Kestrel found it hard to imagine that even older she ever would want kids of her own. The idea was rather terrifying.

Which, speaking of, oh dear. That was a lot more kids than she had been expecting. "Oh. Um, hi!" The birdgirl blinked, taking in the four young goblins before her. "I'm Kestrel, and uh, yeah! This is Silver. Go on boy, don't be shy." She gave her cub a little nudge towards the goblins, who approached and started to sniff at them. "I uh, helped your mom with a thing, and I guess I've been invited to dinner while we sort some stuff out?" Kestrel offered a smile.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

What DOES a stuck story mean, anyway?

It's something of a mystery!

Anyway!

As Jade begins making her way through the factory she be shown where the beets and cane are pressed out into syrup, where that syrup is refined, where additives are placed into the vats, where everything is boiled. Normal sugar refining stuff. While passing by the syrup boiling vats Jade will notice something... weird.

Someone? is going from vat to vat doing something? with them.

But trying to focus on the figure causes the eyes to slide away and the attention to fixate on something else.

There's a good chance the only reason Jade noticed is because of her foxy disposition toward illusions. Something is definitely up.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
Well, that's spooky. Jade points down where the figure was moving. "Is all this automated? I thought I saw someone down there working, but everywhere else is empty." She just wants to get them looking in the right direction. She doubts her guides will be able to see the elusive figure.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

"Totally automated!" the gregarious hobbet replies. " It's a hug boon to worker safety since it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE that someone would fall into a vat of chemicals and become a super villain."

"Roseluck takes preventative villain saftey measures very seriously," the pony adds.

In spite of them both looking in the direction Jade was pointing neither seems to notice anything out of the ordinary.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

Blanche raises her eyebrow. Only four combatants? She might only be dealing with a fireteam or two down here if she's lucky. Not that it's much information to go on. And there was a fifth figure on the lookout... she quickly scans the room for security cameras. They must have visual and audio input somewhere, so she'll have to watch her words.

"Squad five, this is Blanche," the woman broadcasts, activating her original earpiece. "I've been engaged by hostile combatants in Starlight Industries, not sure how many - could use some backup asap." There, that'll at least send them scrambling to jam comms or otherwise intercept and delay the other members on patrol.

She flinches as bullets whiz past and strike the wall behind her, then grits her teeth and pulls the trigger. The room resounds with a high-caliber Krakoom! and then another, twin shots streaking through the smoke towards a hazy flash of muzzle flare even as Blanche pivots and drops a hand to draw her pistol, snap-firing through the oculus of a security camera and sprinting across the hall.

Crossing the gap and spinning towards the closed door of the other room, Blanche fires four shots blindly through the wood and wall at about chest height, hoping to hit the third man or at least send them jolting for cover when she ducks her head down and bursts through shoulder-first, dropping into a roll.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
"That's good. We don't need more of those running around," Wouldn't someone who fell into these bars get sugar powers or something? Maybe super speed? Jade peers more closely. "You're sure there's no one there? I swear I saw someone moving down there." While the guides' attention is on the machinery, Jade quietly slips her shoes off and leans over the railing. She's getting ready to vault it and run for the unseen intruder.
DeBunny
Maliciously Tyrannical Admin

Post by DeBunny »

Keeper wrote: Oct 18, 2022 10:54 pm G'nichi's Home

"IGNORANCE?!" G'nichi's nostrils ignite into tiny pilot-lights. The final illusion around him shatters, and the butt of the axe smacks into G'nichi's armored cuirass. It staggers him but not as much as he expected from what he thought was an unarmored target.
The inquisitor may not expect G'nichi's form to ignite with a shining aura, the platinum symbol on his armor glowing.
"You, who strike down the just in ignorance do Evil's work for it. You, who would cut down a friend from paranoia have no place in Bahamut's light. I abjure you and your hate."

The light may be surprising.

What's also possibly surprising is G'nichi dropping both his artifact and his sword and stepping in to close with the inquisitor, where his axe's range will work against him and G'nichi's brute strength will be his advantage.

It is not advised to let a dragon the size of G'nichi grapple you.
The purifier is not, evidently, smart enough to see this as a problem.
His opponent shining the light of his god doesn't seem to be as much of a point of hesitance as perhaps it should be for a sane individual.

G'nichi's probably just faking it, after all.

Now, while he may not be able to get a proper swing in with his axe, the weapon isn't completely useless.
So with a snarl, he slides one of his hands up right to the base of the axe's head and snaps it up towards G'nichi's face like a (more than slightly) awkward punch.

It lacks most of the punch the weapon should have...but it's still sharp. And on fire.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

The guids look-
-and Jade leaps over the railing.

She'll notice several things at once.

First?

There's a strong smell of formic acid she didn't notice before.

Second?

There are MANY people moving around down here.

Third?

ANTS!

There are giant ant people everywhere! They're unloading barrels of some kind of chemical and pouring it into the syrup vats!

Most are working, a few are overseeing, and three are standing near the middle with arms upraised, psionic power wafting from them like a cloud of pheromones.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

G'nichi ducks surprisingly low, which is something he can do easily thanks to months of SQUATS! and also because Xeni built him like that.
He then springs forward and up, aiming to throw his arms wide around the purifier and wrestle him hard to the ground. Which will likely result in the dragonborn having the back of his head smashed against the pavement and G'nichi's body weight sitting on top of him which is not pleasant.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
Well, crap. Jade just waltzed unarmed into a whole horde of saboteurs. Also it reeks, although Jade can't quite identify the vinegary smell - she doesn't have a ton of experience with this stuff. She figures it's whatever the ants are putting in the sugar.
I'm outnumbered at least 20 to 1 here. Some backup would really be helpful, she thinks to no one in particular. She has accumulated several supernatural patrons, so it pays to at least make requests on the off chance one of them is listening. She tries to duck behind some equipment and hide, tapping her watch to ready its built-in shield projector. Hopefully she won't need it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

What the ants are putting in the sugar?

Or maybe they just smell like ants.

Sort of like how Jade just smells like fox.

But then! Jade calls out for help without actually mentioning a single one of her patrons by name!

...but nobody came.

Jade begins sneaking around, ready for trouble if it crops up. Trouble like several ants nearby pausing their work and waving their antenna around. Which might be a problem since they may very well be smelling her. Considering they have ZERO EYES they probably aren't very good at looking for things. One of the over-seer (even though they don't see) formians begins skittering back and forth, gradually moving toward Jade's location.

Hmm...

She could squash the bug, probably.

Or try to avoid it via SNEAKING!

Or use that bottle of really strong smelling PUMPKIN SPICE SPIRITS that's sitting in her pocket and dump it on herself. That would probably cover up the fox smell. Wonder where that spooktober juice came from?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
Huh. That wasn't there before. "So you are listening?" Oops. She shouldn't have said that aloud. These ants may not be able to see, but Jade would be shocked if they also couldn't hear. She dashes for a different machine to take cover behind. She doesn't technically need to hide behind things, but it makes her feel better. Crouching low, she looks at the bottle. Essential Oil of Pumpkin Spice? She could probably use this to mess with the ants' sense of smell, somehow. Maybe lay false trails or negate their sense of smell with overwhelming pumpkin spiciness? She pops the stopper out and takes a whiff.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

There's a little warning label on the bottle.

WARNING! Contains essential essence of pumpkin spice. Use only in extreme pumpkin spice emergencies.

Jade opens the stopper and takes a sniff and oh wow that was probably a bad idea.

The smell is extremely strong just upon opening the bottle and actually sniffing might send her into a coughing fit.

If it has this kind of impact on her just imagine the olfactory blinding it could cause in creatures that rely mostly on touch and smell to navigate the world around them.

Meanwhile! That lone ant monster is moving closer-
-but when it detects the pumpkin spice aroma in the air it seems repulsed by the scent. As if it were something deeply offensive to it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
Ooof!
That's strong. Jade's sense of smell is stronger than a normal human's. So she desperately tries to clean out her nose of the stench of pumpkin spice.
It looks like it's even worse for the ant who navigates the world entirely through scent though. So now she has options.
She could save the stuff and use it as a grenade in an emergency. It could easily completely incapacitate a small group of the ants, she thinks. Or she could use it on herself. If she was completely surrounded by a cloud of pumpkin spice scent, they would know where she is, roughly, but not where she actually is. And if they get close to her, they'd be weakened by the stench.
She plugs her nose and pours the oils over herself. If she stinks so bad, she could maybe defeat them all unarmed (although it would still be risky).
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Recaiden wrote: Oct 21, 2022 4:37 am [The Demons' Lair]

"I suppose it does. We need some way to get around quickly, after all."
They pass through the tunnel into the main cavern, where the living castle, the heart of the demons' lair, stands with its claws digging into the stone. Then they quickly turn to the right and leave through another side tunnel.

"Right. I can't ask you to revamp our who transportation infrastructure. Specifically, you're familiar with radar, right?"
[The Demons' Lair]

"Well, we could make out some blueprints for the most common forms, but anything special needs to wait." Mia says.

"I wouldn't say i am a professional with radar, but I have a basic knowledge. Do you need something like that for underground movement?"
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

The four little goblins scurry over to gawk at Silver and pet him. They also bombard their mother with questions.

"Yes, he's one of the reasons I was topside this morning. Kestrel helped us catch him. And he took such a shine to her, she'll get to keep him."

"That's so cool! I wish we could have a pet wolf!"

"Is a slink not good enough for you now?"

"Mooom, that's not what I meant!"

As they speak, two more figures emerge from further into the house. Another goblin woman, somewhat taller than Krivka and with a different figure. Where Krivka is a lean and wiry wolf-rider, this one seems to have once had a muscular build, but one that has since been softened by maternity. Her skin is dark brown and her eyes are bright red, crossing into orange. Her hair is cut short, but left longer on the right side of her face, almost covering her eye.

"We have a guest, I see. And she adopted adopted a wolf? I've never heard of a topsider doing that before."

"Firs time for everything. Kestrel, this is my wife, Grevike. And our darling kids, of course."

From behind Grevike's legs emerges a strange creature. Quadrupedal, the size of a large cat or small dog, but covered with shiny, smooth skin like an amphibian. It has large, bulbous eyes and a pair of mustache-like tendrils around its face. It scurries over to stare at Silver.

"And that would be Rusk, our slink. You probably haven't seen one before."
DeBunny
Maliciously Tyrannical Admin

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

Fwump!
The purifier is a bit more used to generic weapon slug fests and (moreso) executions.
Straight up wrestling is a bit outside of his usual scope.

There's an unpleasant cracking and scraping noise, from skull and horns hitting the ground, followed by a rather enormously disoriented waving of a gauntleted fist in G'nichi's general direction.

The guy is dazed, not much of a threat.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

G'nichi is slapped by a gauntlet!
It doesn't slow him down much but is rather annoying.
He gives the purifier a slap of his own for good measure and then begins trying to pin him. He didn't think to bring any rope so he'll have to reach for the wand and try to tie him up with Totally Real Ropes.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[The Demons' Lair]
Zefir wrote: Oct 23, 2022 4:25 pm"Well, we could make out some blueprints for the most common forms, but anything special needs to wait." Mia says.

"I wouldn't say i am a professional with radar, but I have a basic knowledge. Do you need something like that for underground movement?"
"Let's do that then. Like, a top three blueprints." Sophia says. Mia may not think much of Sophia personally, but if they're solving real problems, that's good too.

The next cavern is smaller, but still contains two demon-buildings. The 'garden' looks something like a giant mouth made of meat and the wingcases of a giant beetle. Within its walls are rubbery trees, the haze of heat, and plenty of voices - the angels need practice talking like anyone else.
The 'lab' looks like a huge beast's skeleton wrapped up in tentacles, with glassy green membranes bridging eye sockets and rib gaps. And of course, that's where research into forbidden machinery typically takes place.

"Can you do something like that? Underground radar navigation? Because we wanted it for finding things, actually. Aircraft that are hidden to normal sight. But your idea could also be very good, especially in the Nexus."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[The Demons' Lair]

Mia nods to the first statement.
Thought as they pass on she can't hide that the base still looks creepy. It's just that these days such things are more common due to haloween that she can bear it more then usually. She dislikes this time of the year.

"Well yes." she says. "We mostly used it to search for resources back at home, thought it does need a lot of work. For example the difference between iron and stone took a lot of time. So it might need a lot of testing and such."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[The Demons' Lair]

"Sorry about the, uh, decoration." Sophia would also prefer someplace dryer and more rectangular, but alas, that's not how things are done here.
"Some of us are basically human, so we can use humanlike vehicles if we have to - I'll bring the others along so you can look at them."

"As for the radar, it's fine if it has to be tested a lot. That's true with anything new, right?"
Sophia heads into the lab through a gap in the tentacles , and goes to take a little radar dish out of its shelf-alcove.
Last edited by Recaiden on Oct 26, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 22, 2022 8:51 pm [Feline Family Friction]

Blanche raises her eyebrow. Only four combatants? She might only be dealing with a fireteam or two down here if she's lucky. Not that it's much information to go on. And there was a fifth figure on the lookout... she quickly scans the room for security cameras. They must have visual and audio input somewhere, so she'll have to watch her words.

"Squad five, this is Blanche," the woman broadcasts, activating her original earpiece. "I've been engaged by hostile combatants in Starlight Industries, not sure how many - could use some backup asap." There, that'll at least send them scrambling to jam comms or otherwise intercept and delay the other members on patrol.

She flinches as bullets whiz past and strike the wall behind her, then grits her teeth and pulls the trigger. The room resounds with a high-caliber Krakoom! and then another, twin shots streaking through the smoke towards a hazy flash of muzzle flare even as Blanche pivots and drops a hand to draw her pistol, snap-firing through the oculus of a security camera and sprinting across the hall.

Crossing the gap and spinning towards the closed door of the other room, Blanche fires four shots blindly through the wood and wall at about chest height, hoping to hit the third man or at least send them jolting for cover when she ducks her head down and bursts through shoulder-first, dropping into a roll.
[Feline Family Friction]

A quick scan of the room would indeed reveal a security camera watching her- just one in the room, but it's lens was clearly focused on her, and it looked like it could indeed have a microphone. There were likely other cameras throughout the building as well.

"Think she's calling for backup."

"Then move quick. Means she's probably alone, but we don't know for how long. Team Two, spread out and sweep the perimeter. Keep an eye out. Eclipse, you better get me that data now."

"I'm... I'm working on it..." Elizabeth winced with every gunshot she heard ringing through the building. Blanche would probably notice that compared to all the other voices she had heard over the comms, this one was a lot shakier.

"Work faster."

There's a yell as the rifle shots disappear into the smoke. If they found their mark or not, it's hard to say. Either way though, it had seemed to discourage whoever was firing at her. Getting shot at could do that.

Blanche's shot through the camera was rewarded with confirmation of her success, "Lost visual. Team One, you're going in blind." Her action would bear fruit almost immediately. Without the ratfolk watching her through the camera, and her other two opponents behind the smoke, nobody was there to warn the one trying to flank her of Blanche's pivot.

So when her bullets splintered through the door they were met with a cry of pain. As she throws open the door and comes up from her roll, she'd see her target stumbling back, clutching at their abdomen. On seeing her, he swore, firing a panicked hail of gunfire in her direction before half-leaping half-dragging himself behind a desk and into cover with another pained yell.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[The Demons' Lair]

"Sure, just send them to riverside, my people should be prepared, You should tell me when they go there so I can escort them. Riverside is after all not demon friendly, they will fear you on sight."
Not to mention the succubus concert that went futher down that road.

"Partly yes. Most new things need to be testet, but such a radar would be even more complex. Imagine that the radar can't see the difference between hard rocks and mud. It needs to learn everything." Do you know The core?
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

"Eclipse", huh? They didn't sound quite as hardened as the rest of the group, whoever they are. Could be a weak link - maybe a new member? Not that it matters much right now as she rolls into a crouch, pistol in one hand and rifle stock in the other.

"Agh!" Blanche jerks to the right and grits her teeth as she springs to her feet, two rounds catching her in the side and striking cerise plating with a twhip-thwink. That's going to bruise. "Stay the fuck down!" she shouts, firing another three shots and running towards the desk. Weapon empty, she holsters her pistol, plants a hand and vaults over, swinging her rifle to strike the man across the head in a disabling blow.
~Welcome to Night Vale