Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Playground in the Playground]

Lapis thinks about Asami's answer carefully.

She knows what species means. It's a category people made up for types of living things because people like putting things in categories. Putting things in categories is fun! Also important, because it is a way to order things. And people are good at ordering things; that's one of the nice things that makes them special.

So are humans a species of animal?

Yes.

In the symbolic system humans made up for categorizing living things.

But Lapis wasn't talking about symbols that represent reality. She was talking about reality. Those are different things. And she isn't sure how to describe the difference between those things. Because she is still very small and also because she has access to neither the Sphere of Information nor the Sphere of Quality. Energy, Shape, Motion, and Will are her domains. And while those are all very nice and good and useful for many things expressing an abstraction of big and difficult ideas aren't one of them.

So she's left puzzling over this question when more questions come.

"Umm..."

A strange question.

No one has ever asked Lapis how hot she is before, in those specific words or in any other combination thereof.

"I don't think that's always the same it depends on what I'm doing? I'm not very hot when I'm a little girl. I'm little girl temperature."

Tags:
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"I'm sorry," Fettina says to Cantie as they lean their heads together. She's still in shock, still weeping, but a flash of concern crosses her mind. More quietly, she adds, "Must be hard for you. Everyone here and freaking out."

For Cantie, and really for the kid, Fettina tries to lean against the empath and just calm down.

When the nurse comes, Fettina will nod stiffly. She overthinks how to take the kid properly, but ultimately it's the kind of thing that comes naturally. After some brief, careful adjusting she'll look down into the newborn's face. Her eyes are full of wonder.

Slowly, she turns around to Kirk. She doesn't want to go over and make him feel like she's rushing him with the kid. Instead, she softly invites, "Kirk. Come over here and look at this little man, will you?"
Last edited by Murkus on Feb 22, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

► SHOW SPOILER
The Inside Docks

It might take either some familiarity or time to find the way to do it, but there seems to be headphones and settings on the system to allow it to be listened to without broadcasting as if it is your own private record player. At least a "preview" function. Should Henry handle the records, he'll sense a slight tingle of bio-electricity within them, possibly there due to magic or exposure to something. Most of it seems orchestral in taste as well, and should they play one, it seems...mostly normal as it plays. If they listen for more than a few minutes though, they might feel a little vertigo hit and the sensation of being antsy and uncomfortable.

The Matron reaches out with a hand pat the glass elf gently on her head if she doesn't pull away. "I am worried, but I am not afraid of them." She says confidently. "I've no doubt they'll find or think they will find something that will reinforce whatever opinions they've already made of us, no matter what they might be. I am afraid not for myself or the others here, but of those like you who have only now Heard the call of the Mother and who haven't stepped forward. If this city wishes to cast us out, they will not have the chance to embrace their possible destinies." She offers her hand to the glass elf, beckoning her close with a gentle smile. "Now, do you have name? Curiously, I have not seen yours Written yet."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Lapis' confusion was of no consequence to Asami. She merely sighed as Lapis mulls it over, moving on.

Lapis' description of her temperature elicited a giggle from Asami. "Haha, what a cute answer!"

Suddenly in good spirits again, Asami tilted her head and held her hands behind her back, speaking in a jovial manner, "My own surface gets to be around five thousand and five hundred degrees Celsius, so practically everything feels cold to me. I've never felt warmth in my life!"

She was oddly proud of that fact, and keen on talking exclusively about the properties of stars and star-like beings.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis really isn't sure what makes her answer cute, but she's glad that it made Asami laugh! Asami seems happier now! Is Asami a star? It sure sounds like that's what she's saying, even if those aren't the words she's speaking. Which is neat! But Lapis knows that stars are lots of things in the Nexus. Sometimes stars are GREAT BIG balls of mass undergoing nuclear fusion. Like Lapis' heart, but really big!

But that isn't what ALL stars are. Sometimes stars are holes in the firmament that the light of heaven shines in through. Sometimes stars are burning stones lodged in the dome of the sky. Sometimes stones are heroes of old. Sometimes stars are gods that cast bodies to the Earth. The Nexus is funny like that, that stars can be all those things and all those things are true.

But they aren't all Correct.

Because Lapis knows what stars really are.

They're signs.

They're symbols.

"Are you only a little girl sometimes and a great big star sometimes or maybe both of those things at the same time?" Lapis asks curiously. "I'm a little girl right now because the rest of me is all curled up twistways and twineways and normally people don't see those directions so they don't notice."

Lapis is quite sure that Asami isn't being that hot here and now. Because if she were that hot in this place and time then the playground wouldn't be long for this world. Lapis' little girlness probably wouldn't fare very well, either.

But the playground IS here!

So Lapis continues assembling the third layer of her growing pyramid.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine (closed scene)

A small lot between two large and dilapidated buildings, hardly of any note apart from the well kept gravel path and lovingly cared for wooden fencing. The gate is open, allowing people shelter from the gentle rain inside the small shrine. The sound of a hammer ringing on metal comes from behind the shrine, and the smell of burning and metal may reveal to someone knowledgeable that it was likely a smithy and someone hard at work. It felt like it would be a peaceful respite.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Streetside Shrine]

And a peaceful respite is something that a certain woman needs today. The rain coming down is a bit of a problem when you're comfortable robes are getting soaked, so ducking under a roadside shrine's roof for a bit of shelter is a good choice, the constant tapping of her staff directing her to a space where she can stay for the moment. She leans against one of the support pillars, dripping all over the place, but no longer getting even more wet.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

As soon as the word 'little girl' was used towards her, Asami clenches her fists and waits for Lapis to finish talking. Then, she'd hold one fist in front of her chest as fire sparks from her eyes. "Who're you calling little? I'm not little!" She says, being only 125 cm.

She then takes a deep breath with the fist still on her chest, looking downwards pensively. Lastly, she looks back to Lapis, beaming once again. "What you see before you is the only thing I consider 'me'. I guess there are some invisible parts of me that have existed before I was born, that may have been a part of other things before, so its not impossible a star could've turned into me." She muses for a moment. "Idk... I'm just like stars, in a way. I can communicate with them and draw power from them, but this comes so naturally to me, its hard to tell why I have these properties. We can only make guesses! But I like to say i'm a human, because it cannot be disproved."

She smiles and sits still, taking a wide yawn with her eyes closed. It seemed she was quickly running out of energy.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Halae wrote: Feb 20, 2023 1:12 am [Streetside Shrine]

And a peaceful respite is something that a certain woman needs today. The rain coming down is a bit of a problem when you're comfortable robes are getting soaked, so ducking under a roadside shrine's roof for a bit of shelter is a good choice, the constant tapping of her staff directing her to a space where she can stay for the moment. She leans against one of the support pillars, dripping all over the place, but no longer getting even more wet.
Streetside Shrine

Several minutes after the guest arrives, the hammering stops, and a few moments later the woman will hear the back of the shrine open up. "My apologies. I did not know I had a guest." The caretaker of the shrine apologizes. She sounds well mannered and educated, although slightly monotone. She smells of the forge, hot, and soaked as well. There's a distinct smell of wet fur and silk to her too. She approaches, a bundle in her arms, and offers it towards her guest. "Towels, to dry off with. Then I can guide you to a bench near a fireplace to sit so I can prepare you some tea and food." The touch of the Elements are all over the shrine caretaker, and a Power slumbers within the katana on her hip. "My name is Miyuu, and you can stay here as long as you need. You don't seem like you'd be one of the local ruffians."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Streetside Shrine]

"Oh, it's quite alright," Verity says, taking the towel. Her clothes are something of a problem, but she can at least dry off her face and a bit of her hair, "I appreciate the hospitality; I didn't want to intrude while you were working."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine

"I was simply biding the time in the forge, it wasn't important."
Politeness, but a hint of a lie there? Possibly simply to be courteous. "If you need a change of clothes, I have some extra that might fit. The last thing either of us want is for you to catch a cold." Miyuu says as she turns to head to another room to go rummage through a closet. "What brings you here? Simply the rain?" She asks as she digs out a spare kimono and brings it out.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Streetside Shrine]

"As it turns out, wandering around getting to know the city is a bit of a problem when you're caught out in inclement weather," Verity says, "I don't want to impose. Is it really alright for me to borrow some clothes?" her underthings are largely fine for the moment, but that robe is soaked. Her crystal staff is laid down on the bench next to her, so that it's out of the way.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine

"Please, be my guest."
Miyuu insists, placing the kimono in Verity's arms directly. She'll help the woman get dressed in it if she doesn't know how. Either way, as Verity gets dressed, Miyuu will tend to the fireplace to get it warming up and dry. She handles the coals and wood bare-handed, unbothered by the danger or the heat. "You are welcome to stay as long as you need, even over a night if you must. I am not the owner of this shrine anyway. I merely found it, got it in repair, and have been staying here."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Streetside Shrine]

Miyuu may notice a light blush on Verity's face as she's helped into the kimono, but she doesn't actually complain. She's got some weight to her, a fair amount of it in the curves, so the slimming design of a properly worn kimono actually helps her look less bulky.

"Then it sounds like it's your space regardless," Verity comments. It's her home, after all, "I wouldn't mind staying a night; I think the storm is going to last until at least midnight, and I'd rather not traipse about under the moon. Especially given I doubt my robe will be dry by then."
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine

Miyuu will help put the kimono on without even a glance or blush on her end, as if it were entirely routine to be dressing someone else. Verity will feel that her skin feels weird however, almost...synthetic. "Then please, stay." Miyuu insists, taking the wet robe and hanging it to dry on a chair near the fireplace. "The food is canned, unfortunately, but there is enough fresh fruit and some bread to go with it if that works fine. I am not the best of cooks, but I will make sure that it is at least palatable." She freezes a bit when she hears thunder, hand drifting down to the katana at her side, but when nothing happens, the moment passes and she seems satisfied.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Streetside Shrine]

"Canned food is fine. I'm certainly no expert chef myself, so it'll probably still be better than my cooking," Verity taps the ground with her staff as she follows Miyuu deeper into the home. That storm is already deepening; it'll probably be very bad, "My name is Verity, by the way."
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine

The storm deepening seems to be some cause of unease for Miyuu as she heads into as pantry and pulls out some food and tea. She is silent as she gets water warming and noodles preparing. "...it is pleasant to have some amiable company for once, even if I tend to be quiet." Hot tea is poured and gently placed into Verity's hands. "And there is only one bed, but it is yours as i so not require any sort of sleep to stay functional. " The tea is... serviceable. Old, and Miyuu is only middling at making it, but it was at least warm and drinkable.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Asami seems upset again, kind of, and Lapis really isn't sure why.

Was it because she said little girl?

Does Asami not like being called that? But she isn't much bigger than Lapis and Lapis is a little girl. Though... she knows Lucy doesn't like being called a little girl, either. Sometimes children don't like being called childish. Lapis isn't sure why that is. People are very confusing.

Yes she's saying she isn't little. What a thing to say! Of course she's little! Unless there's more of her somewhere that Lapis hasn't noticed yet. Which would surprise Lapis! She's very good at noticing things.

"Oh, okay," Lapis replies, sounding a little bit puzzled. Asami draws power from stars. Don't most things do that? But she must mean in a way that's different from flowers and trees and lichens and things. She's connected to the star. Like the way Mother's most devout followers are connected to Mother? Maybe? There are just so many things Lapis doesn't know. "What kinds of things do stars say?"

Lapis hasn't ever tried talking to one of the twinkling lights in the sky before.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Inside Docks

Because as Earl starts this post, she still doesn't have a name.

"I see. That makes a lot of sense." The glass elf nods her head. "Yes, I have a name. My parents went to great efforts to keep it hidden, however. It is Ymenelle Hehura." She smiles as she's patted on the head, and goes closer when beckoned.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Feb 17, 2023 2:40 am [Hospital Waiting Room]

Kirk freezes at the door as soon as he sees the babies. It's really hitting him now, like a punch in the gut. How in the world did her get himself into this mess? He spares a glance for Ambrosia, but she's not his focus. Even if it is very strange seeing her hold that child...

No, instead he watches Fettina, and that child that's been thrust into their lives. It's truly unavoidable. He hangs back by the door for the moment, unable to offer her the comfort that Cantata can. That's its own frustration layed on top of this all.

Meanwhile with Ambrosia her new child looks up at her for a moment, but then rubs his face with a little first and closes his eyes.
[Hospital Waiting Room]

Ambrosia gently reaches out to touch the little one's hand. "Ugi. I'm going to call you Ugi." She declares with reverence in her voice as she slowly nods her head towards the newborn.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Asami scratches the back of her head and looks to the side, puffing out her cheeks and furrowing her brow. "Its not that they say things. Its moreso that I just kinda... know things because of them?"

She rested her face in her hands, letting out a deep breath. "Explaining things is exhausting. I want to sleeeep." She shut her eyes and sat with her legs stretched out and her back hunched over, She held her hand together inbetween her legs, supporting herself on her elbows. In short, she entered a light sleep. Her ease of doing so was uncommon for someone of her age, but not improbable.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"When Mother made me she made it so I knew things so I could do my job being her messenger at VIGIL is that maybe how you know things because of stars maybe?" Lapis begins.

She had more to say, but now Asami is saying that she is tired!

Asking lots of questions when someone is tired is a bad plan in Lapis' experience.

"Do you want to go back to Trog's there are lots of beds for sleeping in and they're way more comfy than sleeping on pretend coins in a pretend cave."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"I wasn't sleeping, I was just resting." A distinction without a difference.

Though, after saying this, Asami gets up anyways and starts heading back, the effects of fatigue showing themselves in her gait. She pulled out her phone, mindlessly walking forward while playing on it.
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 14, 2023 5:08 pm Playground in the Playground

Also in the playground, digging in the sandpit, is a young boy. He looks to be human, or mostly so; he's about eight or nine years old, with pale brown skin and curly black hair. He's wearing a pair of jeans and a red woollen jumper with a Thanksmas tree design, and he's using for a shovel a plastic spoon.
It was then that, in her carelessness, that Asami unintentionally took a step towards the hole being dug by the apparent young boy. Failing to notice this, her entire body tumbles forward, sand getting all over her clothes. She winces as she gets up, turning in a random direction and speaking out loud in a reprimanding voice to whoever was nearby. "Who spends all this time just digging a hole!? Literally do anything else!"
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Demonic Errands
"Right." Sekhmet doubts that explanation very much. "Fine. You can keep the money, but I need my makeup back. And I don't want to ever see or hear of you again."

Boiling Point
"That's insane! You should be ashamed of yourself!" There are two groups of people gathered in the streets. Both are clad in black with occult symbols, but otherwise they're easy to tell apart. The first speaker is a woman in an obscuring black robe with a heavy gold pendant with an arcane circle design. "She's the queen of succubi, do you really believe that modest clothes matter for her purity? We literally have photo evidence of her clothing." The second speaker is a beautiful, voluptuous woman, wearing a mostly sheer garment that could be called a dress, if you're feeling charitable, but is more covered by her voluminous hair than her clothing. "That's irrelevant to the point at hand. You really believe she doesn't want blood sacrifices? Every power, demonic or otherwise, needs blood sacrifices!"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 20, 2023 5:52 pm The Inside Docks

Because as Earl starts this post, she still doesn't have a name.

"I see. That makes a lot of sense." The glass elf nods her head. "Yes, I have a name. My parents went to great efforts to keep it hidden, however. It is Ymenelle Hehura." She smiles as she's patted on the head, and goes closer when beckoned.
The Inside Docks

"Is it okay if I call you Nell then? So others do not have to know if you wish."
The Matron offers as she presses something into the glass elf's hand. "For you." Inside, she'll find a small black compact, latched shut, and opening it will reveal an off-white gel. "Royal Jelly, from The Mother. A blessing, should you wish it. No more harmful than the royal jelly of bees here, should you eat it or use it for beauty as some prefer to do."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Wolfbane wrote: Feb 20, 2023 2:29 pm Streetside Shrine

The storm deepening seems to be some cause of unease for Miyuu as she heads into as pantry and pulls out some food and tea. She is silent as she gets water warming and noodles preparing. "...it is pleasant to have some amiable company for once, even if I tend to be quiet." Hot tea is poured and gently placed into Verity's hands. "And there is only one bed, but it is yours as i so not require any sort of sleep to stay functional. " The tea is... serviceable. Old, and Miyuu is only middling at making it, but it was at least warm and drinkable.
[Streetside Shrine]

"It's good, thank you," Verity says after she drinks a bit of it. She's no tea connoisseur, so the difference between middling and great is lost on her, "I did notice that you're a touch unusual. Would you be willing to tell me why that is?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Playground in the Playground

The boy had been working at the side of the surprisingly big hole when Asami falls in, and just peers over the edge of the hole at her. His eyes are closed, though, which is quite odd, and he doesn't react to Asami's blunder in any other way. No words of explanation, no offers to help her out- though she's apparently older than the child, and potentially bigger as well- or apologies.

At the bottom of the hole, under a relatively thin layer of sand, is something firm and rubbery. Probably some kind of liner for the bottom of the sandpit, so it doesn't turn into a pond after heavy rain, but... it's rounded and doesn't feel permeable.

Demonic Errands

"Here. And don't worry, I won't bother you again." Boada reaches up under her shirt- assuming Sekhmet's loosened her grip enough to allow her the movement- and she'll pull out the tube of lipstick. She considered swapping it out for one she stole earlier, but she's not had a chance to compare the colours and given that Sekhmet caught her, she's unwilling to test the succubus-queen's ability to identify a fake. So it's the right lipstick and unused as well. Or as unused as it was when Boada stuffed it up her hoodie, at least.

The Inside Docks

"Of course, Matron. And thank you." Nell smiles at the courtesy, though she's reasonably sure her family's enemies haven't been able to follow her this far. Especially since, without a name, they are unsure if she exists. "Thank you. I do not have much use for makeup, it often hinders my innate ability. I am a glass elf, Matron. I have the gift of translucency." Transparency at best, though never fully visible.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lapis, for her part, hurries along after Asami after she leaves the cave and, subsequently, falls into a hole.

Terrible!

Holes are a great foe.

Asami sure seems to be okay so Lapis focuses her attention on the boy with the spoon. She likes knowing people's names! Her Seer trick provides her with that information, sure. But also a short little bit about the sorts of the things the creature she's looking at does! It's very helpful when meeting new people and/or needing to figure out what kind of weaknesses a monster has that she can exploit.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[The Inside Docks]

"I'm goin' to try somethin'," Michalson tells Henry. "I have a hunch these are what we're lookin' for." He closes his eyes and concentrates, strengthening his magic resistance. If there's a magical component to the feeling, it will fail to work on him now.

"Hmm. Almost gone. It's not all magic, but that's a big part o' it. And they're broadcastin' it."
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

The Inside Docks

Henry blinks at the records, and that strange feeling in his nose. He's gotten that sensation before, but never really in the air. This is strong stuff, somehow.
"Well, do you think that's it, then? It's not going to tell us what they're doing, though." They would have to get it out of the Matron, somehow.