Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Inside

Post by Rebonack »

The title is a misnomer, of course. No doubt the moniker of this place was settled on after a brief conversation that started with, 'Wouldn't it be funny if...?'. But now the name has stuck.

But what is this place, you ask?

Inside is everything within the City Walls. As opposed to Outside, which is everything without. Except Seaside. And Riverside. And Skyside. And all the other Sides that have cropped up in recent years. This strange, whimsical city is the center of a planar Nexus, a crossing point between all possible (and some impossible) worlds. One can find just about anything in this wondrous place, dreams that defy imagination and terrors that freeze the soul. People and whole places are regularly drawn into the Nexus, added to the chaotic melting pot of all realities.

The city is surrounded by defensive walls, with an artificially and accidentally created moat outside the walls, a moat that has been diverted into a river-channel for one many bodies of water flowing through Inside. A gap in the walls and a bridge allow for entrance into the city proper, the main gate opening up to welcome newcomers Inside. Just try not to cause too much trouble, otherwise you may run afoul of Intersection and the various disparate police forces they coordinate around the City.

Themes and motifs shift and blend, though Inside can be relied upon to have some degree of stability; it's unlikely that one's home is just going to cease to exist. Inside is largely subdivided into Streets that all share common architectural genres, Parks that all share common dangers, and sundry locations that share very little aside from their stubborn insistence upon being. All of these things blend together into a chaotic whole with a few constants.

Welcome, traveler, to the City of Inside. The only boundaries you find within are the bounds of your own imagination.

Tags:
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

The warmest time of summer is quickly approaching its end.

Soon the days will begin to cool.

Soon thoughts will turn toward the new year of school.

Soon the star Sirius will begin its decent, for which the dog days are named.

But for now?

For now the time of fun and adventures continues.

And it is for this reason that Khannie is out and about. Not out patrolling (though it could potentially turn into that, but she's hoping it doesn't). Just out seeing the City. Because there is always something new to see. On a whim, Khannie decided it would be cool to go check out various fountains and other water features spread around the City.

Considering how hot it is right now?

Not a terrible idea.

As the moment? She's standing in the middle of a stretch of street decorated with red brick squares separated by silvery drains. Every few moments little spurts of water spray out of the squares in glittering orbs. Trying to swat them out of the air is difficult, entertaining, and a pretty great way to cool off.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

Today is a rare day indeed. Sirius has left his cape at home. Khannie told him that when people go swimming you're supposed to not wear all of your clothes because then they get wet. Still, he has absolutely refused to take his armor off. He's not going to go around naked!
"So why do people make things like this?" he asks, his tongue hanging out of his jaws.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

What?

As if Khannie would jump into a regular pool style fountain with or without her clothes on!

...granted she DID splash a bit in the last one they checked out, which was a huge ostentatious marble fountain complete with nude statues and leaping dolphins and things. Dolphin statues. Not actual leaping dolphins. That's probably an important distinction. It was huge and fancy and she's pretty sure parts of the thing were gilded.

This fountain is WAY less fancy.

But you don't get frowned at for playing in it, which is a pretty huge plus.

Especially considering how hot it is.

"Make what?" Khannie asks after swatting a large water drop. "You mean the fountains?"
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

Sirius opens his mouth and lets a water ball fly directly into his maw. He’s been alternating between doing that and dramatically cutting the water balls with his claws.
”Yeah. Humans and such seem to be always building stuff. And it’s all big and confusing.” And maybe he exists because of all that stuff but that doesn’t mean he knows all the words and what everything means and why it exists.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

Okay so Sirius is dramatically cutting water balls.

But is he striking heroic poses after cutting them?

The sort where his cape is flapping behind him and-

Oh wait, no, he left that at home didn't he?

Very sad.

Khannie considers Sirius' question. It seems like a pretty serious question to her!

"I think it's because-"


She pauses to sputter for a few seconds largely due to a water ball blapping her straight in the nose. Nothing like getting water up your sinus when you're trying to talk! After a few moments of snorting she wisely scoots to the side a bit to avoid any more sneak attacks.

"People like making cool things. And it's fun, right? Humans just... they create things. This fountain, it was just an idea in someone's head and they worked with other people to make it real. People can build just about anything if they really want to."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

Sirius makes a humming noise of consideration.
He's not sure if he makes things. He thinks he does? He can't recall where exactly he got his armor and cape. He can't remember not having them. And obviously they're cool, so they were made at some point. It doesn't really matter too much for him. Building things would require hands, and he doesn't have those.
"Okay. I think."
He doesn't sound entirely sure...
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

Not being totally sure is a common symptom of life.

"Not everyone creates stuff," Khannie points out. "I mean, I guess MOST things don't. Unless you count creating babies. Everything alive does that."

Do digimon make babies?

Those eggs have to come from somewhere, right?

Do they just sort of materialize out of nowhere?

Khannie's got no idea. She isn't a digimon expert.

She steps out of splashing range of the fountain and pulls out her (new!) phone, checking to see where the next nearest fountain is. Looks like four blocks that way! Ooh, and it's a fancy one, too. With a new destination in mind, Khannie sets off!

"So what do trainers usually do, anyway? I bugged my uncle about it a bit and he didn't know much which is weird since usually he knows lots of stuff about things like this," Khannie muses aloud as she walks along the sidewalk, passing a shop that sells clothing and accessories made of hard light and run by some sort of weird squiddish people who talk via flashing colors. "He talked about kids riding a bus straight into the digimon world or something? But that sounds pretty different from us."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

They absolutely just appear places.

Zebes would have given her a large amount of incredibly conflicting information while deliberately withholding other pieces of information. Like, Gallantmon's armor is made of CHROME DIGIZOID which is an incredible super-metal made from a special alloy of an ultra-rare ore...but any guilmon that evolves to Gallantmon just kinda has that armor, so did it appear or was it forged? He calls this The Pokedex Problem which Khannie may or may not understand.
The lore is different every single universe (much like elves) so the most important thing is that Sirius is her friend and he will grow strong with training and FRIENDSHIP. And also that emotionally abusing him will actually hurt him but he wouldn't expect Khannie to ever be so horrible. This is oddly reminiscent of her magical girl/witch situation.

"Pretty sure tamers mostly go around gathering teams and helping them be strong so they can accomplish super big important goals. And the important ones save the world and stuff instead of just going around spray-painting walls or something." Because there are always mook tamers that the protagonist ones have to beat up for being ne'er-do-wells. Though usually that's by defeating them by proxy via monster fight and just really embarrassing them into reforming.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

Khannie had no intentions of emotionally abusing Sirius, so he's probably safe on that front.

She's imagining it must work like the pokemon who evolve differently based on the sorts of emotions they feel toward their trainer. Which... is kind of a weird thing to think of when it comes to pokemon from the Mystery Dungeon world. They don't HAVE trainers so how exactly...?

No idea.

But yeah, the basics seem pretty solid.

Be a good friend to Sirius and he'll get stronger.

Also maybe fight evil digimon?

They haven't even encountered any other digimon to Khannie's knowledge. She isn't even totally sure what she would be looking for. Honestly they seem a lot like pokemon just... mostly bigger? And with busier designs. It's actually kind of strange, comparing both to regular animals.

Anywho!

Khannie frowns a bit.

"That sounds a lot like being a pokemon trainer. Except digimon can talk. Or... most digimon can talk? The pokemon people usually have as pets here can't talk or anything. They're just like animals with powers and moves and stuff."

The ones that CAN talk are unusual or got possessed by a doggod.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

"I did a little bit of research on folks like me and apparently tamers aren't really a common thing? Sometimes they're not really a thing at all and humans only pop up to help with things get dire."
It's really weird, researching something you should know about because it's you but what you knew doesn't actually apply a lot of the time.
What is he supposed to do? Protecting Khannie is the only thing that seems to be the universally agreed upon course for him which is thankfully what he was already planning on doing.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

"Yeah it sounds like most digimon don't have trainers or partners or whatever they just sorta... do their own thing I guess? But a digimon with a trainer can get a lot stronger."

Potentially.

Some digimon just seem to be WAY more powerful than others. But they've got stages just like pokemon do. And Sirius is, well. Not the FIRST stage. But basically the equivalent of the first stage in pokemon terms. Not a BABY. But not super strong, either. Like a pikachu or a charmander. It doesn't help that digimon have way more stages than pokemon, usually. It makes things more complicated.

"I guess digimon fight other digimon a lot? Usually? That's how it works with pokemon."

Our heroes round a corner, passing an apartment building made completely out of stacked up shipping containers as if some giant child had decided to play blocks.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

"Not always. A lot just kind of do their own thing, like you said. But training often requires fighting, and sometimes people just can't get along."
That is to say, they try to become tyrannical despots and have to be cast down by your local fire-spitting dinosaur, errant angel, or overdesigned knight.
"Having a partner can be very special though. Better than just training."
Of course, their relationship is very odd. As long as Khannie keeps her magical girl powers, she is unequivocally stronger than most of the forms Sirius will ever achieve. It's hard for him to really muster the desperate protective urges he needs to evolve when Khannie is not actually in danger from threats he can handle.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Steele Street]
~Background music~
Rebonack wrote:[Steele Street]

Nothing quite like a nice song to magnetize all the iron nearby.

Or maybe just pulling it to himself?

Depending on the reach of the song the reaction is going to be very different.

If the reach is just a block or so the storm serpent wrapped around the base of the spire won't pay it any heed.

But if it pulls on iron all the way to the spire?

There will come a distant rumbling. A storm building. A sound of metal sliding against stone.

If the storm serpent is coming to devour them both they have a few minutes. It isn't in nay hurry.

All the world can be devoured in time.
Geopol4r wrote: Hyeonbin will stand and attempt to retrieve his lighter. He is stumbling, and likely fails to even get to his lighter.
Hey, any way you have to patch me up? I'd leave, but I'm not keen on the idea of letting you handle this. I need to... Really, I could use the glory. I have a couple projects in the works that would benefit from me helping out.
Hyeonbin will steady himself and pull out a cigarette.
Hraithre wrote:The bandaged man's voice is still feeble from having his breath stolen. It can only rattle iron within a block or so, his words lost in the wind before they reach the spire.

But, the longer the song goes on, the louder it gets. The man keeps repeating the verses, loose fragments of metal gathering in a pile before him. "Through words of your origin / by song of your birth / in name of the Reaper / I call thee, brother of fire!"

"I wield the hammer / I strike the spark / I stoke the furnace / to give you shape / to bend you to my will / cast you in sweetest nectar / to make a shield / to craft a weapon / so you would not strike your kin / nor betray your brother! Path of Binding: Armaments of the Reaper!"


Hyeonbin can see the pieces, some of them already glowing with heat in the pyre left behind by the destroyed bike, grow even hotter until they glow like gold, melting into droplets, flowing into a pool, the man lifting shapes from it, spinning the molten metal into chains as fine as thread. The threads surround and wrap around him, burning away his clothes, cooling down into segmented armor and a horned, skull-like helmet. The smoke from his clothes turns into a heavy black shroud that settles on him like a tabard. The silver pendant melts too, but then grows and reforms into a real warhammer that the man rests against his armored leg.

"Black worm from earth / steed of evil's dominion / hunter of the Devil's lot / I tell you to grow / I call and command you! Path of Binding: Horse of Hell!"

The ruins of the Harley Davidson twist and turn, the molten-hot frame tearing itself off from the burning tires, the skull ornament coming to life and cackling madly before being stretched and reforged into a horse's head. What iron the man didn't spend to craft armor for himself is used to remake his ride into a mechanical stallion, crimson flame burning in its eyes.

As the newborn metal beast prances around to cool itself down for its rider, the armored apparation finally stops singing and turns to look at the professor. "What? You're still here?", a voice echoes through closed teeth of the helmet. Eyes of the man inside are now burning with the same fire as the horse's. "I'm no healer. But if you wish to fight, I can provide you with weapons." He lifts his left hand up and snaps his fingers, Hyeonbin's lighter appearing in his hand like magic. "Reverse Path of Destruction: Crimson Flame Bullet!" He clicks the lighter several times, but instead of striking flame, it instead draws the flames that still linger around into the lighter. Soon, the street is as dark and flameless as it used to be before the two men brought destruction to it.

The armored man hands the lighter to Hyeonbin, then looks at the spire. "Aim well. You only have six shots or so." He hefts his hammer on his shoulder and whistles to his steed. It trots obediently to the two men. "Get ready. The serpent has only let us be because my voice doesn't carry all the way. But it isn't blind. By now, even if we don't go to it... it will come to us."

Indeed, it might already be on its way. Their few minutes might be up any second now. The armored man hoists himself on his steel saddle and braces for impact.
Rebonack wrote: Wow.

Mister Reaper is really going full on Ghost Rider now, isn't he?

Which is probably just as well.

The spawn of Typhon that's approaching our heroes now is neither subtle nor kind.

There comes a sound of metal grinding against stone, a sound of rumbling thunder and brittle crunch of bones. Of death and terror. Of fury and destruction. A howling wind picks up, growing in intensity and power, whipping up dust and stones. Gas lamps flicker and bricks shudder. The ground quakes and the stones are split. And then, just as the strength of the storm is at its greatest-

Stillness.

A shock, perhaps, to those who aren't familiar with storms.

But to those that do know what the eye of a storm means, what comes next should come as little shock.

The storm serpent, a bus-sized abomination of metal scales and destructive wind and scouring lightning, appears in the middle of the street with a thunderclap. Several bolts of lightning licking out from the agonized faces that adorn its scales to strike down these foolish creatures that have interrupted its ongoing meal.
Geopol4r wrote: The good professor takes a puff of his cigarette and blows a small cloud of plasma smoke at the snakey boi. Whether it not it dies anything, it should blind the snake to the raised lighter one at his eye.
Click.
Click.
Boom.
Hyeonbin shoots a flame bullet at the eye of the snake, hoping for some damage. Maybe even enough damage to catch the attention of Phil Swift.
The armored rider on his steed can only hope the professor's aim is true. He does not believe even a flawless shot would deliver a mortal blow to this monster, but they do need to start from somewhere. "Onward! Let me hold the hammer! Let me strike a spark!", he shouts, directing his steel horse into a charge. Arcs of lightning strike his hammer and armor, but they are conducted to the ground, leaving his body under the metal unharmed. Excess heat, he will have to deal in some way, but as long as his spirit burns bright, even molten metal cannot burn him.

Just before impact, the rider changes course slightly, his steed racing along the side of the beast, his right arm swinging his warhammer and striking the iron scales. He does not believe he has the strength to cause any serious injury to the bulk of the beast, but for a while now, this contest has been in the realm of metaphysical rather than physical. Like before, his actual plan is to steal the lightning, the beast's animating force, and its control over iron - and, if he is correct, sever its dominion over the souls of the deceased, who's faces now adorn its scales. Even if it means he will have to chip those souls away one scale at a time.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

Dinosaur, angel, knight, or THING THAT IS ALL THREE OF THOSE!

Are there any dinosaur angel knights?

Khannie would bet there are.

"I dunno if there has ever been much digimon stuff going around town before,"
Khannie admits. "Though maybe I just didn't notice because I wasn't looking for it?"

That's actually a pretty common thing.

As soon as someone gets involved in a particular type of nonsense then all of a sudden that sort of nonsense is just popping up all over the place. It isn't like it gets more common or anything it's just that now you're looking for it all of a sudden you seen it everywhere. Was there lots of magical girl stuff going on before Khannie got involved in it? She would assume so, she just didn't know what to look for before hand.

Our heroes come up over a little hill, revealing a pretty impressive fountain! It's a huge marble block that has been sculpted into a scene of perfectly chiseled people reclining and alcoves surrounding by half horse half fish critters. The latter are pouring water out of their mouths into a huge fountain slash swimming pool that absolutely has people bathing in it.

Like a public pool!

Except really fancy.

What sort of people are hanging out at the pool today?


[Steele Street]


The eye of the snake?

Ah, folly, that.

The snake doesn't have an eye.

Every single one of its metallic scales is a unique human face twisted into a mask of agony, points of crackling lightning blazing in their eye sockets.

The snake doesn't have an eye.

It has many.

The plasma burns at the monster and the fire bullet blasts a smoking crater ringed in slag into its hide, but it seems mostly unmoved. The rider makes his harrowing charge, hammer striking the anvil of the beast and smashing away a scale in the process. It spins through the air and clatters to the ground with the sound of a deep breath being released, the lightning in its eye going dark. The reaper's assessment appears to be true. Hundreds of souls are bound up in this vile spirit's will, their breath lending to the rage of its storm and the destructive power of its wind.

With all the speed of a serpent, now, it strikes. The monster's tail lashes out, aiming to crash into the rider even as an unearthly confluence of a great multitude screaming mingled with the crushing power of a thunderclap explodes toward the professor, threatening to blast him head over heels.

This creature is a dreadful thing.

It can't be allowed to continue glutting itself on lost souls.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

What, no. That would just be silly. If that existed it would probably be from a terrible movie series that butchered the characterization of existing characters. Good thing that isn't a thing.

"Well there's always been heroes. And computers. So that's good enough for me, really." Sirius doesn't even really need the computers now that he has a permanent home in the seemingly infinite storage space of Khannie's smartwatch. That said they are probably the only realm that Sirius can absolutely eclipse Khannie's ability in.

Lots of people are at the pool today! Like Officer Melvin, who is trying really hard to not get surprised and hippo out in this public pool. There's a variety of human shaped folks so he blends in pretty well unless you know it's him. There's not any fish people because the chemicals cleaning the water would hurt their gills. Though there is some sort of weird amphibious landshark monster thing? His size is kinda hard to pin down. Probably some poor plotclone whose introduction hasn't been finished yet.
There are, notably, no sapient computer programs around. Not that you could tell. Obvious computer programs usually don't hang out in water.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

It sounds like that is pretty explicitly a thing.

Would Khannie's nonsense even work in the digital world?

Like... would she still be able to use her sorcery?

Or would that break things?

"There haven't ALWAYS been computers,"
Khannie retorts. "I think those were invented less than a hundred years ago."

She doesn't know exactly, though. Just that computers are a relatively modern invention. And the Internet is even newer than that! Of course, those things have ALWAYS been around from her limited child perspective. They've always been a part of the human world, even if they didn't have them in the mystery dungeon village.

Of course, she had lots of other things to worry about there.

Anyway!

The pool looks pretty crowded and Khannie hasn't got any bathing suit with her. Mostly she was just wanting to check out the city's fountains because why not, right? That could be fun. And the fountains are (mostly) located in very specifically not parks so that makes them safe, too. Khannie jogs to the water's edge, looking over the variety of people splashing about and having fun. It looks pretty relaxing and generally non-surprising!

There comes a sudden and tremendous BOOM! as a huge expanding rainbow shock-wave begins spreading across the sky, the strength of the blast rattling nearby windows.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

The explosion immediately causes poor Melvin to hippo out, sending a burst of displaced water everywhere and at least one child flying several feet (bouncing harmlessly off the rubbery belly of the shark-monster-person). Melvin sighs and goes to haul himself out of the pool before the heat makes him start producing his natural hippo sun screen, which would stain the pool water unpleasantly.

Sirius has pressed himself protectively against Khannie's side.
"What was that? Was it one of those witch things you told me about?" he growls to her.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Detective Michalson's Office]
Hraithre wrote: The gargoyle sits on the table and tries to find a comfortable position. "Okay. Sooo... how are you tracking this person down, since we're not going anywhere? Call a friend of a friend?" It looks around for a phone. "What kind of a person are we talking about?"
Morty wrote: "I don't have anyone specific in mind yet." Michalson sighs. "I've put out feelers with my contacts. Someone's bound to turn up eventually. Or we'll go to MERC and ask them for information. For now, try to get comfortable with this body. I should have somethin' 'ere to let you actually fly. The people who made these gargoyles managed it somehow."
"I have flown before. But that was as a bird", the gargoyly muses, folding its left wing in front of itself so it can pinch it. "This isn't the same body plan. I'm not sure it was made to fly under its own power. Feels too stiff, heavy and fragile. I could test it, but I might break... hmmm." It turn its little clay head and looks around. "Do you have pillows here somewhere?"
User avatar
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: May 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Location: 🚮
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Inside

Post by Beans »

[Empty Storefront PentacleNow]

Well, huh. There'd been an empty storefront, but over the past few weeks it's had a bit of activity, and now it appears to have a tenant. A slick sign reading PentacleNow has filled the empty space above the glass. The interior appears to have a desk and several touchscreen kiosks. Employees in bright red polo shirts and nametags bustle about.

Ads for this PentacleNow thing have been popping up all over---before or during online videos, on billboards, and even plain old papers stuck on things! Though the latter tend to have a QR code directing you to the PentacleNow site. The ads crow about bringing the utility of fiendish service without the danger and hassle of summoning the darn things yourself. There are pictures of imps with GoPro cameras, pit fiends looking satisfied atop piles of vanquished deathbots, a smiling execuloth at a sleek computer. The website gives lists of the various sorts of fiends that can be contracted, short- or long-term, and the different levels and types of contracts available. Don't mind the forest of asterisks leading to tiny, tiny print at the very bottom of the page with picky, tricky little disclaimers about risks that probably aren't even really relevant at all.

Customers are starting to trickle in, some just out of curiosity.

A passing erinyes crosses to the other side of the street and walks past quickly, trying not to look at the storefront.
User avatar
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 343
Joined: Jul 18, 2022 10:05 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Recaiden »

[Inside Streets]

There's so much going on now. Demons planning to steal a whole planet. Angels coming to destroy everyone. Sekhmet has a pair of kids. The power of gods is within their reach. Another world behind mirrors. The Thinker coming back to them. The warp.

It's all too much for Kiun. Even dealing with her own little part of the Hive's endeavors feels overwhelming.
Instead, the part-demon wanders this faraway city, dressed in ill-fitting castoff clothes, hoping that a solution or answer will reveal itself somehow. If she looks at it a certain way, this counts as working on her original mission, right?
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Dog Days of Summer]

A bunch of nonsense happens.

Kids bouncing off some sort of weird... shark pufferfish thing?

Khannie has got no idea what that is but the Nexus is full of weird stuff so whatever. It isn't like anyone could possibly know about all the things that live here. More concerning is the colorful explosion(?) in the sky. The young teen leans back, shielding her eyes with one hand to try to get a better look at what's going on up there.

"I don't think it's a witch thing," Khannie admits. "Usually regular people don't notice witch things and everyone is looking at it."

Sure enough there are plenty of people looking up and pointing. A few cheers, too! Just because it looks neat. There's also a colorful streak moving AWAY from the shockwave at a pretty terrific speed, leaving a glittering magical trail behind it.

"I think it's a pony thing?" Khannie eventually concludes. Equestrians can do some weird stuff.

"It's a sonic RAINboom!" squeaks a little pegasus colt from the fountain his voice cracking, rearing up on his hind legs and giving a whinny of unbridled awe. "So cool!"
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Inside

Post by Keeper »

The Dog Days of Summer

"Hmm. It's really pretty. But it seems kinda rude to do that over people's houses." Sirius observes. He's not entirely sure on what's going on with the colorful quadruped people. Khannie just told him that everything that they do is very colorful. But the noise clearly scared a few people and had all the windows rattling.

Of course Nick and Geneva have possibly both broken the sound barrier but that's not the same thing as what's happened here. Mostly because Nick is a griffin and Geneva is part griffin so neither are full blood colorful pegasi.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Marketplace]

Dorota is out shopping today. Shopping for herself again takes some getting used to. Especially since she doesn't have Sizewell to help her out today. Still, she manages. Eventually. After writing out a detailed plan of action.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2888
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Ironsmith »

[Marketplace]

"Excuse me. Pardon me. Coming through, thank you."

Dorota will find herself passed on the street by a young, dark-skinned woman wearing what looks to be the cover of Dictator magazine's swimsuit edition. Heavy leather boots, a quasi-official looking hat, a long coat, and not much else. She has a little basket under her arm, which so far has a myriad of fresh fruit inside of it... apples, oranges, some bizarre kind of kiwi with tentacles, the like of that.

The woman stops in her tracks and turns back to face Dorota, her face lighting up with a grin. "...Sorry, I just can't not comment on this." She begins, settling back into Dorota's current pace. "That top is just too cute! You look really nice today, miss."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2667
Joined: Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Inside

Post by bc56 »

Recaiden wrote: Aug 09, 2022 3:42 pm [Inside Streets]

There's so much going on now. Demons planning to steal a whole planet. Angels coming to destroy everyone. Sekhmet has a pair of kids. The power of gods is within their reach. Another world behind mirrors. The Thinker coming back to them. The warp.

It's all too much for Kiun. Even dealing with her own little part of the Hive's endeavors feels overwhelming.
Instead, the part-demon wanders this faraway city, dressed in ill-fitting castoff clothes, hoping that a solution or answer will reveal itself somehow. If she looks at it a certain way, this counts as working on her original mission, right?
CRASH!

A man in blue armor is smashed outward through a brick wall,. scattering rubble throughout the street. He slowly starts to push himself to his feet. Vicious purple tendrils of energy wrap their way around the gaps in the wall.

"Even in this place of great power, you're still a weakling." The speaker emerges from the opening. It is... Difficult to describe. Like someone spilled red and purple paint on the fabric of reality, and then that spill grew claws and teeth. Every so often, it jitters like the image of a damaged VCR tape. "Who... The hell... Are you?" "You don't recognize me? Pitiful."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
User avatar
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 343
Joined: Jul 18, 2022 10:05 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Recaiden »

[Inside Streets]

Kiun hops up over a few incoming bricks, and takes in the unfolding spectacle.

That thing doesn't really look alive, but it's still talking. While the other man is...just a man. And what place of great power does it mean? She is supposed to be looking for those, eventually. That building looked perfectly ordinary from out here.

She stirs her four wings and lands between the armored figure and the ... spill.
"Um, who are you two though?"
She's fairly certain she hasn't met them, whatever forgotten history they might have together.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
User avatar
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2667
Joined: Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Inside

Post by bc56 »

Streets
"Get away from it! It's dangerous! Don't worry about me!" "He is Jason Fisher, founder and head of the Phalanx Labs corporation, acting under the alias of Hoplite." "What the? How..." "His powers come from his advanced technology, but he has a sister named Jade who uses fey magic." "You seem to know a lot for a pink blob. Let's cut you down to size!" A blade made of light projects from his hand and slices through the entity, which doesn't even react. "A shame you don't recognize me. Your friend Grant named me Eidolon." "Who? You must be mistaking me for someone else." "There is no mistake."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 1479
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: Inside

Post by Gullara »

Rebonack wrote:[Normal Escort Mission]

Ah.

How fortuitous.

It would appear as though the one they were following has come to them. No doubt so that the owner of this hovel might retrieve the rare items spoken of. Likely in the closet they now occupy. Neshi's voice falls to a bare whisper. "Be silent and still. I will render us unworthy of notice."

A simple enough thing.

The mind processes a deluge of information at all times and most of it is ignored as irrelevant. Typically two people standing in a locked closet would warrant notice but and invocation of Perception will reduce them to little more than unnoticeable background details unworthy of even being mentioned in the unfolding story.
Gullara wrote:[Normal Escort Mission]

Onyeka would nod, but she takes the instruction to heart. Instead she waits. She also silently instructs the spirit to remain in place, including holding the picks in place. Hopefully Neshi's trick will cover that as well...
Morty wrote:[Normal Escort Mission]

"Very well, then. Let us be quick. Where are the items I need?"

"Let us see. I believe they are..." The other voice moves closer to the door where the two spies lie in wait. However, after a moment its owner moves away and a rattle of keys signifies he's actually opening the other door.

"You need a better filing system, old man," the low voice says, his irritation clear.
[Normal Escort Mission]

Onyeka breathes a sigh of relief. Spirits, this was so stupid. Why was she taking risks? In any case, she simply holds the position for now. Let these voices fade and then they can continue abruptly.
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 343
Joined: Jul 18, 2022 10:05 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Recaiden »

[Streets]

Obviously it's dangerous. It just threw an armored man through a wall and ignored being cut with a beam of light. Hearing Jason say it again doesn't make it seem any more dangerous than it already did. However, Kiun does step to the side.

"Maybe you have the wrong Hoplite from Phalanx Labs. Can't you two talk about this?"
Maybe it's not simple mistaken identity, but it could still be an evil clone, a parallel universe, time travel, false memories.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Post Reply