Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Philip Memorial Library]

"Oh, yeah, I'm a big fan of rpgs like Dragon Quest. Sadly, I forgot to bring any consoles with me to the Nexus, so I have to go to the arcade or emulate games on my phone. I find time for it by cutting back on things like sleep or eating." Asami gives a weak smile, a tinge of regret in her voice and eyes.

Tags:
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"Aye. She is somewhere safe." He has no idea where, mind you, but Hoshiki doesn't need to know that. "Bringing her 'ere might have been a mistake. Maybe I overestimated your ability to see reason."

[The Widening Gyre]

A mysterious, potentially occult occurrence above Inside means the Intersection's tired occult detective is on the job. Michalson is looking at the cloud through binoculars. Nothing has happened yet but by the time it does it might be too late to do much about it.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

Hoshiki raises an eyebrow. "And what reason did you expect me to see?"
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"That she's her own person and you ought to leave her alone." Michalson's still on his guard. Hoshiki might decide to skewer him even after all this. "Seemed to me she was stuck in your leather-headed dominance contest."
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[The Widening Gyre]

Asami is on a rooftop, solemnly gazing out as the scene unfolds while kneeling supporting herself on her staff. As Asami's eyes glow golden, A wave of soverign light washes over the city extending all the way to the dark cloud which attempts to pierce through all ocular veils indiscriminately, notably raising the strain Khannie's illusions take for her to maintain by a significant degree. Additionally, the light seeks out the presence of magicks and clings to their source, imposing a faint glow.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

"I don't see what relevance the former has for the latter", Hoshiki says, "a spirit such as her is made for a purpose." He steps closer, standing next to the fallen Reaper's body, looking down at it whime weighing the silver sword in his hand. "Among those is to protect their assigned Reaper. That she refused to do so suggests she thought there was no chance he could fight and still live. For her to be so certain, she must've known me. Perhaps even seen me... seen us fight before."

He glances at the detective. "So, she was his partner in crime and witness to our past lives. What does her being a person have to do with it? Do you leave suspects uncaught and unquestioned because they're people, detective?"
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1930
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Earl of Purple »

Market Street

"Y'know what else there's lots of? Competition for those jobs at a human scale. People that grew up here, or who turned up one day after walking down the wrong alleyway. Difference is, those ones don't need three litres of milkshake to sell burgers for half a day. I've tried getting jobs, it hasn't worked. I grew up here, I've got a tiny apartment. The rent's cheap, which is good, since most of what I get goes on food or to pay the Fairy Godfather's goons to look the other way." The Fairy Godfather is a crime lord, though the only place his goons really make themselves obvious is Toytown- an old warehouse filled with doll's houses and home to many of Inside's fairies, pixies, sprites, borrowers, Narnian mice, Bad Blintz rats, and similar individuals for whom a human-sized house is impractical.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Philip Memorial Library]

"I don't really do rpgs much. My uncle really likes Kingdom Hearts but I dunno, I lose track of the story and get bored," Khannie admits.

But then!

A new shelf to examine!

"Hmm... this is all about elements and stuff. I dunno if that's really what we're looking for."
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Philip Memorial Library]

Asami's face scrunches up just a smidge as she facepalms. "The story isn't even that important to the game! You can just ignore it!" It was clear Asami felt very strong about this subject and spoke with a disrespectful tone.

Regardless, the shelf is gotten to. "Hmm, maybe I could learn some more practical applications for my flames? D'you think?"
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Philip Memorial Library]

Khannie just shrugs at the outburst. "I guess I just like stuff I can play with other people more."

That's definitely a preference. Khannie seems to be a pretty social sort of person.

At the comment on flames she nods absently, having just pulled out a book on fire elementals. "Probably? They got magic classes at PREP but they would be pretty rough if you can't read the textbook. How's your fire work, anyway? Like, is it a wizard sorta thing you had to learn? Just something you were born with?"
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Philip Memorial Library]

"Eto," Asami says, putting one hand in her pocket and gesticulating with the other, "I created the laws of physics behind fire. So, you know, I can kinda just control it now." Another partial truth, Asami's tone being completely serious and not betraying a hint of deception or uncertainty.
User avatar
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1322
Joined: Feb 27, 2023 7:23 am
Location: Somewhere cold
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

Rebonack wrote: Oct 30, 2023 2:46 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller wrote: Oct 30, 2023 3:25 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
Last Known Address via Nightmare Night - Widening Gyre

Harley winces at the mention of gods being responsible. That was one thing that he very much lacked during his deification, but he's since come to appreciate just how important it is.

"Yes, buying some would be good- but also, if the bakers freely offer buns knowing it's for a sacrifice, then that choice and the work they put into making them count for something. This offering isn't just from us, after all- it's on behalf of the community." It seems like an important distinction to make- and also he has no money.

He's about to suggest where to go next, but then the sky darkens. Turning slowly around, Harley looks up, and under his mask his fur stands on end. There's something deeply wrong here- he could tell by everyone's reactions even if he couldn't feel it himself.

"Of course we'll help," he says without hesitation. Their current missions, while important, pale in comparison to something that seems this calamitous. Checking to make sure his knife is at hand, Harley breaks into a light sprint, aiming to keep just ahead of his companions as they head closer to the strange event in the sky.

~
[brackets lover] wrote: Oct 30, 2023 5:37 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
"I am, but..." On the screen, the pink people are coming in greater numbers, and Darko's defense is starting to fail, "Maybe not for much longer?" It's a self fulfilling prophecy, as his hesitation swiftly leads to being surrounded by the personal space invaders, with a Game Over flashing onscreen.

"Yeah, that one is fun! Um... what's up?" asks Darko, noticing Asami's concern. He doesn't have to wait long for an answer.

Moving between the aisles of games is another strange entity. It looks very much like a gorilla, but with hot pink fur. Its face entirely lacks any features, just being a fuzzy orb. If you squint, it might bear a striking resemblance to the invaders in the game- or at least, a very abstract interpretation of one.

Regardless of accuracy, the creature seems to sense the kids despite its lack of eyes, and begins to awkwardly run towards them, arms reaching out to grab them into a hug. Darko stumbles backwards in shock.
horses can attack and eat me
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

Khannie finds herself watching the growing portal with a sense of trepidation, levitating her phone out to snap a picture. Then she starts poking at the screen with her nose to type out a message to send off her dad. Something probably dangerous is going on.

With a growing crowd gazing anxiously into the sky the growing sense of pressure finally breaks. What follows isn't a sudden downpour or a bolt of lightning.

No, it's a object.

At first it appears as nothing more than a glint of metal slowly descending. And from its seemingly lazy approach and widening shadow it becomes horrifyingly clear just how immense the object is.

Like an anchor or harpoon of impossible size, it lances down from the sky and transfixes the street, barbs extending explosively from the spike's flanks to lock it in place. Earth is hurled and the ground shakes violently.

For a few seconds the chain remains slack, but then a clanking of metal against metal from amidst the churning storm is heard as the chain is pulled taut.

High above the surface of the chain seems to begin to crawl as things begin slithering down its length.

The whole city shakes with the force of the impact, potentially enough to throw someone off their feet! Of course, Khannie has four feet so she's a bit more stable than your average humanoid is. But what about everyone else? Will they be thrown to asphalt by the force of the anchor striking true? That's definitely some sort of portal up there but it sure doesn't look like one of those DEMON portals that cropped up in Riverside.

It's like the eye of a storm, flashes of metal whirling through it and lightning crackling.

From the base of the anchor five metal struts lance out, smashing into the ground nearby as an equal number of... platforms? Maybe? Begin growing. The surface isn't smooth, but rather looks more like metallic scales, wind rustling across them and lighting dancing from their surface. Above each platform a delicate latticework of metal wires forms to encase orbs of living electricity that look suspiciously like eggs.

There's definitely SOMETHING going on here.

One of those somethings is that CLANK!ing sound growing louder as the portal high above begins to creep steadily closer-
-or maybe the whole world is being pulled closer to the portal like a speared fish being drawn in.

Asami's glow causes a slight nimbus of light to appear around the whole colossal structure, though particularly around the 'eggs' at the base. They positively crackle with raw, wild magic. Khannie isn't running any illusions at the moment, so she really hasn't noticed the effect. The unicorn's horn already feels overstimulated from how much magic's in the air, like a person's nose being overwhelmed by powerful scents.
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[A Real Arcade]

Seeing the creation approach, Asami quickly pulls out her bō that she leaves hanging off her back via creative liberties. Normally, she makes it invisible so no one bothers her about bringing it around everywhere. But for Darko's sake, this transperancy quickly fades away so he can see what she's doing with it. She moves to get directly in front of Darko, pointing the staff at the construct's center of mass to keep it at bay.
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Philip Memorial Library]

Okay THAT gets an eyebrow rise outta Khannie.

"You created the laws of chemistry," she repeats back.

To say that she sounds skeptical would be a bit of an understatement.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"No. But we're in my jurisdiction and she's under my custody. If you wished to speak with her, you should have gone through me." Being an accomplice in Sandels' crimes also doesn't seem to hold much weight here. What choice did she really have? "Not that I'm very sympathetic to anyone wishin' to take someone back to slavery."
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2620
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Inside

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Widening Gyre]

Raheeda falls right over as the earth shakes. Though she's pretty fortunate in that she doesn't land with her head on something hard.

Of course, this also means that she missed everything after the anchor made impact with the ground.
So by the time she gets up she's left wondering who turned up the glow to max.

Shielding her eyes with her hand she attempts to catch up with Khannie and will help Harley up should he have any need. "Uh, so what's going on?" Since she certainly had no clue and she didn't want to just start to poke the glowing things with her spear no matter how tempting it might be.
Image
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Philip Memorial Library]

Khannie's reaction disconcerts Asami, whose posture slackens as a result. Unsure of how to respond, Asami crosses her arms and looks off to the side. She takes a deep breath out, tapping her fingers on her right hand in a wave. Her eyebrows tense up nervously.
User avatar
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1322
Joined: Feb 27, 2023 7:23 am
Location: Somewhere cold
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

The Widening Gyre

As Harley runs, he keeps his gaze locked on the rift in the sky, eyes widening as the anchor crashes through. Whatever this is, it's on a scale like nothing he's seen before. It's like an invasion- and likely one from an entirely different dimension. The sheer immensity of it, the crackling energy, the swarm of something heading towards the city- this is all a bit much. How can a lone man without any magical power or training do anything to help stop such a display of power?

His hesitation slows him, and Harley is caught off guard as the city shakes, tripping and falling face first into a curb with a metallic ringing sound. Wincing, he begins to push himself up, accepting Raheeda's help as he's hauled to his feet. Of course, that's the answer. He's not alone.

"I don't know what this is, but it's not good. It's already causing structural damage, and I'm guessing whatever's coming down that chain means to do a lot worse. All I know is..." he makes a split decision, drawing his knife, "We need to try to stop it. I say we get closer, try to see what exactly we're dealing with. Maybe those 'eggs' are weak points. At the least, I can buy some time for people to evacuate." He waits to see if Raheeda and Khannie are on board with this plan, and whether the latter has any insight. She knows this world better than he does, after all.

In the unearthly glow of the wild magic emanating from the structure, the jaw of Harley's mask crackles with white sparks for just a moment. He doesn't seem to notice.

~

A Real Arcade

The pink monster luckily seems to be just as dumb as its onscreen counterpart. Rather than trying to go around Asami's staff, it runs directly into it, stopping in its tracks. It reaches out its long pink arms, flailing at the air, but it doesn't quite have the needed reach.

"Okay, this is way worse than the zombie," squeaks Darko, looking down at the console with a horrified expression, "Why does this keep happening?"

However, it's not the best time to be speculating on why, since the personal space invader isn't done. It pushes forward in an attempt to get at the two kids. It's about as strong as a gorilla, so most people wouldn't be able to hold it at bay easily- but Asami isn't most people.
horses can attack and eat me
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

"Reaper affairs are a matter of Reaper jurisdiction", Hoshiki says plainly, "and I did ask if you're here as a matter of law. You said no. But you seem confused."

He rests the sword against his shoulder and turns to face Michalson fully. "I couldn't take her back to whatever you imagine her position was, even if I wanted. Neither her nor me nor him can go back. She is the only one who can explain why. That is the crux of the matter. I'm not interested in her servitude. Her compact is over, just like this one's." There's a hollow sound as he kicks the empty shell of the metal warhorse.
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[A Real Arcade]

Asami does indeed have the strength required to hold off a gorilla, so it was a question of whether her staff would give out and break from the strain. Granted, I do not know the answer to this so i'm creative liberty-ing it.

With the monster held at bay and Asami's feet dragged backwards a few ilms, she addresses Darko, "Yeah, you're gonna have to think of some way to handle this."
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[Philip Memorial Library]

Well that's a reaction for sure.

Was Asami just yanking her chain?

Or does she seriously believe that she wrote the laws of physics? That seems like a pretty big ask, as far as claims to believe go.

"Gunna be honest here I've got no idea if you're joking or not," Khannie eventually adds.

Given that this is the Nexus and there's all sortsa weird stuff here maybe it isn't totally impossible? But it sure sounds unlikely to Khannie. Wrote the laws of chemistry but doesn't know how to read is one heck of a combo.
Last edited by Rebonack on Nov 06, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

Michalson stares Hoshiki down, his gaze or his expression not softening.

"Once I find her, we can arrange for a safe exchange of information. I'll ask her to tell you what you need, either through me or remotely. That will, I hope, be the end of it."

[The Widening Gyre]

The quake almost knocks Michalson off his feet. His right leg isn't reliable on a good day, withstanding this is just beyond it. He manages to right himself relatively quickly, being used to it. Needless to say, the situation isn't looking great. By all appearances, this is an otherworldly invasion.

As quickly as he can manage, he approaches the anchor. Maybe up close he can find a way to disable it somehow. The magic crackles around him but fizzles away before touching him. Like a small pocket of calm he carries around him.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 585
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: Inside

Post by Hraithre »

[Day of the Duel]

Hoshiki meets Michalson's stare, stone-faced. Michalson can see his injured eye has recovered, but not as it was, glimmering like a blue star in its socket. "I suppose that is fair", he responds after a heavy moment of silence. He moves his gaze and gestures at the destruction surrounding them. "We both know how it would go if I tried looking for her against your will."

He looks down at the corpse again. "Will you help carry him, if I carry his horse? We can't just leave them here, amidst everything."
User avatar
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Feb 07, 2023 4:56 am

Re: Inside

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Philip Memorial Library]

"Ah," replies Asami flatly, complete and utter silence save for her shallow breathes. She uncrosses her arms and interlaces her fingers, taking a deep breath while surveying her surroundings just to distract herself. Her right index finger continued to tap and she was constantly shifting her weight.

[The Widening Gyre]

While Asami can maintain good balance on the battlefield, in her everyday movements it doesn't come so naturally to her. Consequently, as the ground shakes, she tumbles off the side of the building and the effect of her power ends, though she does manage to make out the potency of the magic in the metal eggs.

Now plummeting to the ground, she crashes on top of a car parked on the sidewalk and crushes it to smithereens, landing flat on her face amidst the wreckage with a myriad of scratches of scuff marks.

"Owww... that hurt," she says as she gets up, brushing the sleeves of her coat instinctively. With the anchor finally revealed, she makes her staff visible as she rushes towards it at athletic speed, tensing up for any oncoming attacks.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Inside

Post by Morty »

[Day of the Duel]

"Aye. It would end poorly." He doesn't add that it would likely end poorly for him, not Hoshiki. "And no, we can't. But carryin' him will be difficult with my leg. What do you plan on doin' with him? He deserves a proper send-off. In... whatever way you people do it."
User avatar
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster
Posts: 3686
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Inside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

Oh no.

Raheeda didn't immediately poke a strange, unknown object with her spear.

This clearly lends credence to just how dangerous the anchor is, surely.

"Some kinda invasion thing," Khannie says, approaching the object cautiously. "There's been these portal zombie things reported on Paragon, but I dunno if this is the same thing or a different thing. But all the portals had ways to close 'em that heroes had to figure out on the fly. But this thing is WAY bigger than what I read about. Let's see what this dumb thing does."

Tentatively, she plants her hooves firmly and lowers her head as a nimbus of darkness ignites around her horn moments before a thumb-width beam of shadow lances out of her horn and transfixes the nearest egg, the beam scattering and splaying against some unseen barrier just beyond the metal cage it sits inside.

Michelson would be well aware that there have been reports of otherworldly portal incursions over the part two years or so, but they've been sporadic and scattered. Nothing has been on this sort of scale, certainly. But so far all the portals have been shut. Sadly the methodology for accomplishing that hasn't ever been consistent. Even if the portals aren't sealed, a ring of salt mixed with a small amount of powdered silver apparently prevents the creatures from the portals from using them.

The only problem is that this portal appears to be up in the sky.

As he approaches the magic crackling around the 'eggs' begins sputtering, his presence apparently disruptive to whatever magical process is going on here.

And apparently that disruption is enough for the nearby unicorn's horn-beam to cut through the barrier and transfix one of the eggs. The egg immediately turns jet black and melts out of its mooring, oozing down the pedestal like spilled oil. This gets a reaction from the whole edifice.

A great trumpet blast splits the sky, loud as thunder, as bolts of lightning come whizzing down from the portal. Where they strike the earth monsters are left behind standing in puddles of glassed asphalt. Imagine, if you will, a skeleton made of iron. An iron skeleton surrounded by insubstantial 'flesh' of crackling lightning and rushing wind. They definitely have that shriveled, zombie-like look to them. Six of the things. Three remain near the anchor, raising their hands above their heads as balls of wild, crackling power begins to collect above them. The other three take off in a sprint toward our heroes to-

Try to slap them?

Turns out getting slapped by them carries the force of a thundercap and isn't something that you want to experience.
User avatar
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1322
Joined: Feb 27, 2023 7:23 am
Location: Somewhere cold
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

A Real Arcade

The personal space invader waves its arms wildly. It really just wants a hug. Too bad it's a mindless horror.

Darko looks wildly between Asami and the creature. Clearly this is a problem of his own making, and he can't keep relying on other people to clean up his messes. Especially not with a new and delicate friendship hanging in the balance. But his usual tricks won't have any effect on such a single minded menace. That just leaves one option, and it's not a pleasant one.

But as the staff creaks, he decides that it's okay just this once. Screwing up his face, he points a finger at the invader.

"Go away." His voice hasn't changed exactly, but it carries a weight that can't be ignored. And just like that the creature simply vanishes, leaving no trace behind. Back at the first arcade game, the bread zombie similarly disappears, dropping the stolen hoodie to the ground. Darko sighs heavily.

"Sorry about that. Sometimes the magic goads me into using it. I try to find other ways of dealing, but you shouldn't have to deal with my issues." He shrugs, halfway between sheepish and disappointed in himself.
horses can attack and eat me
User avatar
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2667
Joined: Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Inside

Post by bc56 »

The Widening Gyre
At the barrage of lightning bolts disgorging forth angry skeletons, two newcomers leap into the fray in a flash. The first is large and muscular, raising an axe above his head to strike with ferocious and inhuman strength at the nearest skeleton.
The smaller shape is lithe and slippery and quickly climbs up a drainpipe to a nearby balcony, then begins rummaging through a large bag.
Oh and they're both lizardmen. Did I mention that? Well, the smaller one is more of a lizardteen but the point stands.

Market Street
Let's see... "Tiny" "shoebox" apartment, "Fairy Godfather," "human scale." These offhand remarks keep building up into a pretty clear picture of this pickpocket. She's some sort of fairy or similar creature who can grow to human size. She lives in Toytown, and she has a fast metabolism or an incredible sweet tooth. At this point, Jason could probably reliably track her down.
"There is so much wrong with that statement. Where do I even start? Do I lecture you on economics? Nutrition? It doesn't matter. I know you wouldn't listen. You've made up your mind. You've given up on getting real work; you steal because it's easier." Given Boada's earlier comments about "that bloody jackdaw" (Jason knows exactly who she's talking about), Jason is hoping to get under her skin.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2620
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Inside

Post by Shadowcaller »

Rebonack wrote: Nov 05, 2023 2:14 am [The Widening Gyre]

Oh no.

Raheeda didn't immediately poke a strange, unknown object with her spear.

This clearly lends credence to just how dangerous the anchor is, surely.

"Some kinda invasion thing," Khannie says, approaching the object cautiously. "There's been these portal zombie things reported on Paragon, but I dunno if this is the same thing or a different thing. But all the portals had ways to close 'em that heroes had to figure out on the fly. But this thing is WAY bigger than what I read about. Let's see what this dumb thing does."

Tentatively, she plants her hooves firmly and lowers her head as a nimbus of darkness ignites around her horn moments before a thumb-width beam of shadow lances out of her horn and transfixes the nearest egg, the beam scattering and splaying against some unseen barrier just beyond the metal cage it sits inside.

Michelson would be well aware that there have been reports of otherworldly portal incursions over the part two years or so, but they've been sporadic and scattered. Nothing has been on this sort of scale, certainly. But so far all the portals have been shut. Sadly the methodology for accomplishing that hasn't ever been consistent. Even if the portals aren't sealed, a ring of salt mixed with a small amount of powdered silver apparently prevents the creatures from the portals from using them.

The only problem is that this portal appears to be up in the sky.

As he approaches the magic crackling around the 'eggs' begins sputtering, his presence apparently disruptive to whatever magical process is going on here.

And apparently that disruption is enough for the nearby unicorn's horn-beam to cut through the barrier and transfix one of the eggs. The egg immediately turns jet black and melts out of its mooring, oozing down the pedestal like spilled oil. This gets a reaction from the whole edifice.

A great trumpet blast splits the sky, loud as thunder, as bolts of lightning come whizzing down from the portal. Where they strike the earth monsters are left behind standing in puddles of glassed asphalt. Imagine, if you will, a skeleton made of iron. An iron skeleton surrounded by insubstantial 'flesh' of crackling lightning and rushing wind. They definitely have that shriveled, zombie-like look to them. Six of the things. Three remain near the anchor, raising their hands above their heads as balls of wild, crackling power begins to collect above them. The other three take off in a sprint toward our heroes to-

Try to slap them?

Turns out getting slapped by them carries the force of a thundercap and isn't something that you want to experience.
[The Widening Gyre]

"Oh." Of all those words she did know 'invasion' and 'zombies', which was bad. 'Portal' she could guess by context as she knew it was some kind of door. But why would anyone want to enter through an egg? Sounded like pain.

She then watches Khannie attempting to magic the egg but it looked like it was protected by the same kind of field that her technology-thingy had. "Wow!"
That was pretty cool.

Though it did seem to mean that they had to hit it reeeeaaaaly hard to destroy it? "Maybe try hitting it from above instead? I'm gonna try poking it." Raheeda inquires as she cautiously moves towards the egg. Wanting to poke it with her spear.
Image
Post Reply