Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: Inside

Post by quillpleasant »

Intersection Precinct

Lia follows Michalson into the station, looking around with great curiosity. She's never been in such a place before, and anywhere new is worth studying. As they pass through into the office she subtly dusts some spores here and there.

"Bunny? Like the animal?" she echoes. Strange.
horses can attack and eat me

Tags:
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Intersection Precinct, Michalson's office]

"Where would I have gone?", a girly voice answers to the detective. Lia might notice something that looks like an ugly umbrella hanging from a coat rack. Then the "umbrella" unfolds and turns out to be a pair of wings belonging to a small, imp-like thing.

Bunny drops down and turns in midair, landing feet first on the floor. Discounting her wings and horns, she comes to roughly to Lia's knee. She looks up at the mushroom girl. "No, not like the animal. Who and what are you supposed to be?"
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Jun 04, 2023 7:20 pm [Touring Inside]

"Have you tried biting the ghosts? That's what I've done and it's always worked out except when it doesn't!" Aivu helpfully suggests.

"Aaww, you're friending up already? That's great! Really it's been a while since I've gotten to tour around and I had nearly forgotten just how quickly people want to be buddies with me,"
Eu laughs.

It's true, though.

There's just SOMETHING about Eu that draws people to her. To want to get to know her. To be part of her story or at least let her be part of their own story.

"So it sounds like you'll be joining us at the cookie statue garden? Who knows, we might even meet and ghost-"

"And get to bite it!"
"-along the way."
Touring Inside

Henry's mood seems to visibly improve as if on a lightswitch.
"Okay! Well. I've never had a ghost in biting range before but people have said that. You know. Shark. But anyway. I'd be happy to show you around on the way. Though I think the place itself is new as I haven't heard of it.
Still!"
Henry gives an elaborate bow, including doffing a hat he isn't wearing.
"Henry Smallfoot Vadnova at your service; it would be my pleasure to assist you today."
Oh. That might explain some things. Clan Smallfoot is a fictional clan halflings often put down on paperwork if they adopt a child and need to write something in. It's basically a giant "I was raised by halflings" sign.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Mecha-Flu Investigation]

Now that the civilians are out of her mane and the elves are stuffed in handy containment tubes Red Velvet will climb off the golem and stoop down for a better look.

"Your enthusiasm and concern is appreciated, darling, but you needn't worry about me. I'm simply too gorgeous for any magical machine plague to mar my exceptional beauty," Red Velvet confides in the golem.

While she's being obnoxious and the kirin is prepping the pods for containment back at Intersection HQ the arion moves along side the golem and begins helping to prop them back up. Red is, of course, still keeping up her divination on any other sources of phyrexia infection in a pretty wide area. The golem doesn't look like it's in any shape to lead them anywhere right now.

[Touring Inside]

"According to this-" Eu begins, squinting at her list. "The edible cookie sculpture garden was established in the summer of the Year of Steamed Hams."

A beat.

"I have absolutely no idea what that means and how recently that would have been."

It's a mystery.

"What are steamed hams? They sound tasty," Aivu inquires.
"Apparently it's a region name for hamburgers?"
"What are those?"
"A type of sandwich."
"Oooooh."

"Well, I'm still Eu and that's Aivu-"
"Hi!"
"-and we're both happy to have you along even if your feet aren't as small as your name would suggest."

Time to set off again! But not before leaving a few coins at the shrine to the jade aardvark. They need to get donations for upkeep after all.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

"Well, they used to be small in comparison to my dad's and his neighbors'. But you know. Being cursed with big-shark-itude means everything you get to keep is well. Bigger."
But now that he is a shark he finally fulfilled his dream of never needing shoes again just like his dad! So there's that.

"So you're like, adventuring types?" Henry asks as they set out, walking sideways to keep eye contact and watch where he's going.
"Going around, doing quests and stuff? That sounds cool."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

"Oh right! You got turned into a shark person because of things and reason! What were you like before?" Aivu muses aloud.
"How did you manage to get into that situation to begin with, anyway?" Eu asks.

Because if there's anything she's going to do with any new companion it's bugging them until she has exhausted every single dialog option.

"Sorta! Not really. Before I got involved in the crusade against the world wound I just helped guard caravans. But I guess I did some adventurey things with some of the more eccentric folks I guarded? But those were their stories. I decided to set out and write my own," Eu recounts. "But then there were lots of adventures once I was out on the road."
"I was in all of them!"
"Not all of them."
"Okay maybe more like half of them BUT I was still very brave and daring. Any adventure is easier when you have a dragon on your side."

It's at about this time that a sword elemental walks past.

As in...

An elemental made of swords.

"Huh," Eu grunts. She glances back at her very prickly manticore tail. "I was wondering if maybe my real tail was too sharp for public but apparently not."
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
Nathair climbs up to reach for the drawer. It opens easily enough, but the keys drop out of it, apparently still aligned with normal gravity. And the sound effects seem to be wrong. Instead of jingling, the keys make a sound like an onrushing train... A noise certainly loud enough to wake the creature under the bed. It crawls out into the light, extending its clawed limbs and hissing.

Nathair expects to fight. Asami thinks it might be able to be reasoned with. Only one of them can be right.

Making Trouble
Both guards are blinded by the bright light of the shining shield but they continue onward. They're not sure where Blank went, but they can at least use their polearms to dispatch this knight who's in their way.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

"This is Lia. I met her while investigatin' Sandels and Hoshiki. We talked to both of 'em." Michalson waves his hand in Lia's general direction. "Seems we both stepped into a long story."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: Jun 03, 2023 5:28 pm
Cult Clash

”I was at one, yes. Sure there’s plenty of things over there.”
Off they go! Something exciting may or may not happen!

[Cult Clash]

Zophiel goes with him to the cafe.

Something interesting would happen, but sadly Zophiel's player is unable to think of anything and has gotten pretty busy irl, so the scene will probably end there.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Jun 05, 2023 8:55 pm Making Trouble
Both guards are blinded by the bright light of the shining shield but they continue onward. They're not sure where Blank went, but they can at least use their polearms to dispatch this knight who's in their way.
[Making Trouble]

Which might make it a bit awkward when she unsummons herself before the weapons can make contact. One last insult to injury, it seems.

Meanwhile, Blank hurries down the street toward the address his phoenix gave him earlier. With any luck, he might still catch up to the scary lady before she has a chance to do anything nasty to the girl he kinda-sorta saved.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[brackets lover] wrote: Jun 03, 2023 11:56 pm Asami frowns at Nathair, crossing her arms. "Running makes us look like thieves," she said in disapproval, "If they wake up, we should try to explain the situation to them. That's the best way to avoid conflict. So, i'm staying with you, in case I know their language and you don't."

With that, Asami would once again follow Nathair into the bedroom, raising her arm up to keep the bookshelf steady as she eyes the bed.
bc56 wrote: Jun 05, 2023 8:55 pm April Foolery
Nathair climbs up to reach for the drawer. It opens easily enough, but the keys drop out of it, apparently still aligned with normal gravity. And the sound effects seem to be wrong. Instead of jingling, the keys make a sound like an onrushing train... A noise certainly loud enough to wake the creature under the bed. It crawls out into the light, extending its clawed limbs and hissing.

Nathair expects to fight. Asami thinks it might be able to be reasoned with. Only one of them can be right.
Nathair opens his mouth to argue the point, then closes it. For all his knows, Asami could be completely right. Plus, she seems to have some powerful tricks up her sleeve. So, he heads up the bookshelf as planned.

And as the keys fall out with a deafening rush, he drops back down to the floor, crouching. The monster definitely doesn't seem like the talkative sort- but it's got to be worth a shot, right?

"Hello, we come in peace!" he calls out, not expecting a response. With his gold hand, he makes a precise gesture in the air, levitating the keys up to him without dropping his guard.

-
Hraithre wrote: Jun 05, 2023 12:50 pm [Intersection Precinct, Michalson's office]

"Where would I have gone?", a girly voice answers to the detective. Lia might notice something that looks like an ugly umbrella hanging from a coat rack. Then the "umbrella" unfolds and turns out to be a pair of wings belonging to a small, imp-like thing.

Bunny drops down and turns in midair, landing feet first on the floor. Discounting her wings and horns, she comes to roughly to Lia's knee. She looks up at the mushroom girl. "No, not like the animal. Who and what are you supposed to be?"
Morty wrote: Jun 05, 2023 9:03 pm [Intersection Precinct]

"This is Lia. I met her while investigatin' Sandels and Hoshiki. We talked to both of 'em." Michalson waves his hand in Lia's general direction. "Seems we both stepped into a long story."
Lia raises her eyebrows as Bunny approaches. Of anything she was expecting, a miniature gargoyle had never crossed her mind.

"As the detective says, I'm Hyphaelia, or Lia for short. Sandels is... my friend. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this stupid duel so we can prevent it. But that outcome seems less likely the more I learn about the whole sordid affair." She crosses her arms. "And to answer your question, I'm a mycoid. What are you, some lesser demon?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Intersection Precinct]

"Great!", Bunny squeaks almost before Michalson finishes. "Wait... both? You found where he... where Sandels is?" She didn't expect that.

At Lia's reply, the gargoyle's ugly face turns into an uglier frown. She looks up, putting her tiny hands on her tiny hips. "This is just a temporary solution, ask him later why he had a tiny demon in his closet", she says and nods towards Michalson. "Now back up a little. You said something about being someone's friend? When did that happen?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Jun 05, 2023 7:26 pm [Touring Inside]

"Oh right! You got turned into a shark person because of things and reason! What were you like before?" Aivu muses aloud.
"How did you manage to get into that situation to begin with, anyway?" Eu asks.

Because if there's anything she's going to do with any new companion it's bugging them until she has exhausted every single dialog option.

"Sorta! Not really. Before I got involved in the crusade against the world wound I just helped guard caravans. But I guess I did some adventurey things with some of the more eccentric folks I guarded? But those were their stories. I decided to set out and write my own," Eu recounts. "But then there were lots of adventures once I was out on the road."
"I was in all of them!"
"Not all of them."
"Okay maybe more like half of them BUT I was still very brave and daring. Any adventure is easier when you have a dragon on your side."

It's at about this time that a sword elemental walks past.

As in...

An elemental made of swords.

"Huh," Eu grunts. She glances back at her very prickly manticore tail. "I was wondering if maybe my real tail was too sharp for public but apparently not."
Touring Inside

"WELL!" Henry continues, swinging his arms as he walks.
"I was mostly just a really short human. My dad was a halfling. Apparently like, four generations ago my great-great grandparents in the Vadnova family did some super screwed up stuff so some paladins called on their god and cursed the ever-loving hell out of them and their entire bloodline, specifically binding the curse to their manor.
No one has been able or willing to tell me what was so bad, but sometime in your teens the house decides to do horrible things to your body, like making you a spider with a person's face or a large slime or a were-dragon or a large cold sharkperson.

For reasons I still don't understand, they stayed in the cursed house. Except my mother, who didn't, and her second husband (that's my dad), who didn't and then stole me as a baby to keep me from getting cursed. Nice of him but really would have helped if he told me that. And didn't leave my twin sister behind. So eventually the family tracked me down, insisted I stay the night and bam,"
he slaps his gut. "fat shark. Well I was a slimmer, weirder shark but then I died and got brought back only mostly the same. I have NO clue why I came back as a different, rounder shark."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

quillpleasant wrote: Jun 06, 2023 4:33 am Nathair opens his mouth to argue the point, then closes it. For all his knows, Asami could be completely right. Plus, she seems to have some powerful tricks up her sleeve. So, he heads up the bookshelf as planned.

And as the keys fall out with a deafening rush, he drops back down to the floor, crouching. The monster definitely doesn't seem like the talkative sort- but it's got to be worth a shot, right?

"Hello, we come in peace!" he calls out, not expecting a response. With his gold hand, he makes a precise gesture in the air, levitating the keys up to him without dropping his guard.
Seeing the keys fall out, Asami instinctively holds her hand out in an attempt to catch them. However, the train rush sound effect caught her off-guard, causing her to shout, "Ah!"

She then immediately hunched forward and covered her ears with her hands as her corona flashed a bright white light very briefly. Her temperature also spiked, heating and distorting the surrounding air.

She was grimacing and a few tears formed around her lower eyelids, but she still managed to keep one eye on the creature to check for any signs of aggressive or predatory behavior.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

Eu frowns a bit as the story progresses. "Cursing a whole bloodline is wrong. At most people who be punished for their own evils. It's like deciding to put a whole city to the sword just because one guy living there is a complete dirtbag."

Given the fact that Eu is A VERY NORMAL MORTAL devoted to liberty and very specifically the liberty to pursue a good life she's pretty not okay with punishments that she considers oppressive. And punishing children way off down the line for the sins of their father is REALLY oppressive.

"Are you sure these guys were paladins? This really doesn't sound like a paladin thing. Not just that it's a curse, but it's a really weird curse."

"Yeah! It's a silly curse! Like cursing someone to only be able to eat cucumbers!" Aivu adds.

A curse that turns people into random monsters? Maybe a werebeast curse. Or a vampire curse. Or something. But completely unrelated monsters? Not much sense there.

"This curse really seems dumb. And your family? Also dumb for dragging you back into the mess."

Maybe making bad choices runs in their blood?

If Eu knew about the wish she would be even more certain of that.

At about this point our heroes pass someone laying in the grass along the sidewalk, moaning painfully. Eu and Aivu quickly hurry to their side!

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I... I..." wheezes the man. "I ate too much cookie sculpture..."

Aivu narrows her eyes dramatically. "We're getting close..."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

Hey, Henry got exactly what he asked for. He's significantly more happy now that he doesn't have to work retail IT. He's just ALSO a shark.
"Apparently they were. We have a whole mural of knights fighting a dragon and everything. Not that anyone in the family was a dragon when it was made. I think.
But yes, I have told them that. They're convinced it was the only way to be sure I was their long-lost half-brother because blood tests wouldn't work but there were definitely other ways. Oh, well. I do alright, even if I'm still looking for ghost-proof clothes."

He walks up to the guy with the other two and is relieved that he hasn't been actually poisoned or anything.

"See? That's why you have to be careful about eating giant cookies." Unless you're a shark with a bottomless void for a gut.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

Michalson sits down heavily on a chair, eager to take the weight off his injured leg.

"It's a relic of my misspent youth as an adventurer," he says by way of explanation. "I went to Trog's, found Sandels and her there. She knew where to find Hoshiki."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Intersection Precinct
Hraithre wrote: Jun 06, 2023 7:52 am "Great!", Bunny squeaks almost before Michalson finishes. "Wait... both? You found where he... where Sandels is?" She didn't expect that.

At Lia's reply, the gargoyle's ugly face turns into an uglier frown. She looks up, putting her tiny hands on her tiny hips. "This is just a temporary solution, ask him later why he had a tiny demon in his closet", she says and nods towards Michalson. "Now back up a little. You said something about being someone's friend? When did that happen?"
"Yeah, Sandels and I had just got back from some horrible place in the sky when Michalson found us," Lia nods at the detective's explanation. At Bunny's comment, her eye twitches.

"We met pretty recently. I helped Sandels with some stuff, he helped me with some stuff, we've been traveling together" she says evasively, "Why does everyone have such a hard time believing that?" She's not sure whether to be annoyed or amused by the little creature, but she's leaning towards the former.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Intersection Precinct]

Bunny follows Michalson with her gaze and nods at his words. "Well that was fortunate. It went fine, right?" Then her attention snaps back at Lia. Her tiny eyes narrow. "Stuff. Stuff, stuff, stuff. What was this mysterious... stuff you needed helping with?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Touring Inside]

'What I asked for' and 'also a different species now' seems like kind of a skewed wish. That's what happened to Violet Wishes too, after all. Want to be strong and have magic and can fly? Bam. Now you're a pegasus pony.

Anyway!

"You mean ghost touch clothing? Like stuff that ghosts can't pass through?" Eu replies, puzzled. "Because every ghost I've ever met was wearing ghost pants. Clothing usually comes with the ghost."

So. Eu pats the guy with a stomach ache. "Don't worry, the suffering will pass."

Our heroes don't have to go much further before they reach an expansive gazebo sheltering a wide selection of classical style statues.

All made out of chocolate chip cookie.

Some people are admiring them thoughtfully.

Others are nibbling.

Aivu is tearing up. "They're so beautiful..."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Touring Inside

No Violet Wishes got pone'd because she asked for things that were directly related to being a pegasus. Whereas Henry just asked to not need to work, which has nothing to do with being a shark.

Anyway!

"Well, I didn't get any ghost pants. If I try to pass through something all my clothes fall off." Henry responds a little testily. "It's really awkward. No one wants a naked fishperson running around." This is a recurring problem for him. Somehow.

Henry can't help but glance at the statues. Just because he's a big guy doesn't mean he's the type to get excited about food.
...he's part halfling though, which means he is.
"So...are we not supposed to eat them?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

"'Bout as well as it could've." Michalson shrugs. "But they're both pretty dead-set on fightin'. Or just resigned to it. It seems we stepped into a longer story and we don't know the whole dark."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Intersection Precinct

"Yes, they're stubbornly determined to go through with this. I'm going to try to convince Sandels again now that I know a little more, but I doubt I'll have any luck," sighs Lia. She tilts her head at Bunny. The little gargoyle reminds her of nothing so much as an annoying, buzzing little insect.

"Well if you must know, Sandels helped me by killing me, and then keeping watch while I rejuvenated. He's also shown me around and helped me get acquainted with this land. In return, I've been a go between with him and Hoshiki, and I helped him destroy a monster named Phineas Trust. We've endured dangers and hardships together. What's your connection to him?" A slight smile tugs at her lips.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Intersection Precinct]

Bunny's frown deepens in disappointment. "So you're saying it didn't go fine. At all." She grabs her horns and starts pacing back and forth. Lia's words don't help her mood. "It's not really your business", she says sourly, "the detective can tell you what he knows if he deems it necessary."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Intersection Precinct]

"I'm not entirely clear on how much I do know." Frustration creeps into Michalson's voice. "I know somethin' bad happened to your homeworld. Hoshiki doesn't remember because his brain-box got wiped clean. He knew Sandels before and they weren't best chums. And you've also got some dark Hoshiki wants to know."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

April Foolery
They come in peace? The creature hisses, its claws reach for the intruders, and will soon grab them. Just how committed to coming in peace are they?

Making Trouble
It takes several minutes for Blank to arrive, and it looks like he might be too late. "You'll be such a beautiful bargaining chip," The succubus is saying to her victim, stroking the apparently comatose girl's cheek. "As long as I have you, she won't dare stop me. I could wring your pretty little neck if she tried" A pair of perfectly manicured fingers press gently on the younger demon's throat for emphasis. "I'm going to have so much fun with you in the meantime." That doesn't sound good.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Intersection Precinct

The detective isn't the only one getting frustrated. Lia's foot taps with impatience. "Not my business? How is it not my-" she stops herself, pausing for a deep breath. Squabbling would only make things worse.

"Listen, Bunny, I think we got off on the wrong foot. We want the same thing, right? We're all trying to stop this fight from happening. Regardless of your jealousy, shouldn't we be pooling our knowledge to figure out if there's any way out of it?"

-

April Foolery

Nathair glances over his shoulder at the strangely glowing Asami, caught off guard by the sudden flare. "Are you alright?" he calls out, before his attention is dragged back to the amorphous monster that's rapidly approaching.

Peace was a good idea, but this has gone far enough. Nathair's hand shoots out, glowing with a gold light. The air ripples slightly as he telekinetically grabs the bookshelf and attempts to wrench it off the wall and use it to block the creature's approach.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Jun 10, 2023 10:22 pm Making Trouble
It takes several minutes for Blank to arrive, and it looks like he might be too late. "You'll be such a beautiful bargaining chip," The succubus is saying to her victim, stroking the apparently comatose girl's cheek. "As long as I have you, she won't dare stop me. I could wring your pretty little neck if she tried" A pair of perfectly manicured fingers press gently on the younger demon's throat for emphasis. "I'm going to have so much fun with you in the meantime." That doesn't sound good.
[Making Trouble]

"About that."

The words slip out of Blank's mouth before he has a chance to consider what a tactical blunder it is to give away his presence with a not-so-witty rejoinder. Dammit! If he'd kept his mouth shut, he could have gotten the drop on her and captured her without a fight!

...Well, you know. Optimistically.

In any case, that's not going to be an option now.

"...Yeah, look. I don't know what your deal is, lady, but I'm pretty sure using a teenage girl as a 'bargaining chip' makes you unambiguously the bad guy here." Blank continues, trying to keep his voice level. "So... step away from her, please."

Please? Please?! This lady's probably a psychotic demon, and he's really bothering with asking nicely?

Ugh. You have so much work to do, Arthfael.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Making Trouble
"Is that supposed to scare me?" The succubus turns to face Blank, making a gesture that emphasizes how little she's wearing and how perfectly formed her body is. Her tongue runs briefly over perfect white teeth. "Foolish boy. You don't even know what you're dealing with. Run along now and forget what you saw, unless you want to join my servants."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Making Trouble]

Uh....

Ah...

Um...

Blank shakes his head, pointedly averting his gaze so that he's looking up at the woman's horns, over any of her more distracting features. "I know enough." He says, closing his sleeves together and feeling for his cards. "I'm not running."

...Of course, what he's actually going to do is less than clear. But he's not leaving.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,