Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Inside

Post by bc56 »

Boiling Point
"We saw her on TV!" one of the other cultists helpfully replies. He's shushed by both priestesses. "After we'd already started worshipping her. Most of us served her mother first, but once she died, well..." The new goddess inherited the throne.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Boiling Point]

"Right. That makes more sense." Hiep tosses half of her cape back, revealing a muscular right arm with fern tattoos. "And how did her mother expect to be worshiped?"
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Playground in the Playground]

Oh.

That isn't a new friend, is it? Lapis' scan is telling her that's a creep, not a critter. The important distinction being that critters are naturally passive and creeps are hostile.

But!

Mother is very clear.

Lapis is only to use lethal force only if she doesn't have better options. Are usually just running away is a better option unless someone else is in danger.

Case in point?

"Asami that isn't another kid I think it might be dangerous maybe."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Playground in the playground]

Asami gently lifts her hand from the Kylder, getting out of the sand pit and taking a few steps back from it. She then bows at the waist apologetically to the human-esque being.

Subsequently, she nonchalantly addresses Lapis. "You sensed that, too, huh?"

She rubbed her eyes, staring at the being. "Seems like some type of insect hive. I'd like to learn more about it. Lemme jot down some notes real quick."

Asami pulls out her phone once again, turning it on and moving her fingers rapidly across the screen. She'd seem engrossed in this, paying little heed to anything else, save for the Kylder which she would occassionally shoot glances at.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Boiling Point
"You don't want to know." "You really don't." "Ritual murder, to start." "That's where the TV thing comes in. The old goddess got herself killed and then a while later there's a TV interview with her daughter (we knew she existed but not much about her) talking about how she was going to turn things around."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Boiling Point]

Right, should have expected that. Wouldn't be out here suggesting blood sacrifices otherwise. Hopefully there were also some orgies in the mix...actually, mixing ritual murder with orgies is really bad. Scratch that thought.

"Oh, I get it now. The old goddess expected ritual murder of you, now her daughter took over and has other plans. Sounds like you probably shouldn't sacrifice anyone to her. You know, on top of other problems with doing that."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Playground in the Playground

The child tilts its head at Asami's odd behaviour, but gets back to work at digging with its spoon, clearing away sand from the 'liner' that Asami felt when she fell into the hole earlier. It's working around the object, which seems less like a liner and more like something buried in the sand, for some reason.

The larvae within the kylder seem like insects, but aren't, and it's not truly a hive- it has a brain, and organs, and the larvae within are in a state of biological stasis until the kylder dies, at which point they wake up and start to work their way free. Kylder don't fear dying, as that is how they reproduce.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Feb 25, 2023 4:30 am [Hospital Waiting Room]

Hopefully the wonder isn't being disrupted by the babies squalls, because he's still quite vocal. Being born is a lot of hard work.

Kirk's eyes widen subtly, but Tina will get a read on his alarm with ease. He's being dragged directly into this, eh? After some hesitation, Kirk closes the distance. He looks at Fettina, then the crying baby. He seems to struggle to muster words. "Interesting eyes." He notes. even that benign observation a challenge.

Meanwhile Ugi doesn't seem to register that he's been named. That'll ome further down the line. He's quite content putting part of his fist in his mouth and dozing, though.
[Hospital Waiting Room]

"It's a fine name." Ambrosia agrees rather redundantly.
"Poor thing, must have exhausted himself crying already. Being born is hard work, or so I heard." She smiles. "He should be glad he's not like his mother in that sense." It isn't really clear who she's talking to at this point.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"It's a lot of effort giving birth too, let me tell you," Thariza jokes, her tail swishing behind her. "It's funny. I gave birth twice but I don't have a lot more experience with raising a kid than you do."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Cult Clash]

Oh, he definitely has to yell at these people too.
There's a guy with a knife about to stab someone who has no intention on running.
There's someone trying to break into a nearby building.
There's people scratching and grabbing at each other on the ground.
There's someone getting kicked for being a member of the wrong cult.
There's people standing around and watching.
There's people doing just regular property damage.
There's a punch-out going on.
There's a paladin trying to heal a stab victim.
There's a handful of people having a shouting match.
And there's some random person trying to pickpocket one of the bystanders.
While yelling at them won't make all of them to stop and get out of there, at least it would calm down some of the chaos going on.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

The tension in Cantata's expression fades as things with Kirk seem to go without incident, and she can't help but smile watching Fettina sway their - er, her baby like that. So sweet.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Murkus wrote: Feb 28, 2023 5:34 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

There'll be time for Fettina to be annoyed by the squalling later. The little man is allowed! He's had a tough day, indeed!

"Pretty, huh?" Fettina says, her own voice amazed, "Got one of each. What are the odds of that?" Fettina bounces the kid gently, shushing him. Not from any instinctual knowledge. This is just what they do on TV.
Arkhosia wrote: Mar 07, 2023 2:35 am [Hospital Waiting Room]

The tension in Cantata's expression fades as things with Kirk seem to go without incident, and she can't help but smile watching Fettina sway their - er, her baby like that. So sweet.
[Hospital Waiting Room]

"Rare I imagine." The drow remarks. He glances a few times, with small motions of his eyes, between Fettina and the baby. The rocking motions do seem to have a positive effect. The boy starts to quiet a bit, only making the occasional fretful noise now.

A relief as far as Kirk is concerned. "So what do you do now?" He almost says we, but something stops him from committing to the wording that attaches himself to this... yet. It's a bit much at the moment.
~Images by Soushiyo
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Sounds of heavy hooves against the pavement precedes the appearance of a large horse with two riders on it. None of them look quite right - the horse, more machine than beast, the first rider, barely more than a desiccated corpse with a hole through his chest, the second rider, a girl, apparantly half-mushroom. Or maybe just wholly a mushroom? Hard to say at a glance.

But, to the fishy residents of Arkham Street, none of this is so unusual as to raise a fuss about. So they simply cast suspescting glances their way, before hurrying along on their own businesses.

The horse, eventually, stops before a large manor. Its garden is somewhat overrun, the fences are in disrepair, heavy blankets have been draped on all the windows, and it would be easy to think the whole place abandoned, if someone had not clearly replaced the street-facing front door recently.

"Hot damn. How did that lucky bastard land a place like this? I've been sleeping on the saddle all this time!", the first rider exclaims in astonishment. "Welp. Time to get down. Let's see if anyone's home."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

[Arkham Street Manor]

The ride has been none too pleasant for the mushroom girl. She feels more at home with her feet on the ground, not bouncing along atop some ungainly metallic animal. So despite the gloominess of the street, she practically leaps off in eagerness to be done, staggering as she regains her balance on the cobblestone.

"I wanted new experiences," she mutters, "But that one became old very quickly."

Catching her breath, she looks around, taking in the dilapidated house, overgrown and enshrouded. It's dark, old, possibly damp with mildew and mold- an ideal environment for someone like her. She perks up a little at the sight.

"Who are we here to see again?" she wonders aloud as she waited for Sandels to lead the way towards the house.
horses can attack and eat me
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

"Star of Hope", the man answers. "Don't laugh. That's his actual name. Well, the beginning of it. I have an appointment with him in two weeks. Figured he can look after my stuff while he waits."

He nods towards the door. "Do knock. If he's not home, we'll just leave this", he slaps the package of armor, "on his doorstep and be done with it."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Considering how little she knows of other cultures, the name doesn't strike her as particularly odd. It does seem out of place for someone who lives in such a crumbling abode, however.

"Why am I knocking? Don't tell me you're using me to spring a trap or something," she warns. Still, she goes up and raps sharply on the door three times, then steps back to wait.

"Speaking of names, mine's Hyphaelia. You never asked." It's not an accusation, but its close to one.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

"You knock on the door so the person inside knows you're coming, hopefully disarming all the traps for you", Sandels replies matter-of-factly. He's not sure if Hyphaelia is kidding him, and is making it impossble for her to tell if he is. When she mentions her name, he makes mental note to call her "Lia" for now. But, before he says anything more, a gruff voice from deep within the manor replies to her knocking:

"Who is there?"

She might need to shout to be heard.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[Arkham Street Manor]

There's no reason not to believe that whoever owns the mansion is paranoid enough to put up traps. Hyphaelia steps smartly away from the door, hopefully out of range of...pendulums or arrows or whatever people guard their houses with in these parts.

When the voice calls out, she gives a start, then looks a little embarrassed about being caught off guard. Somehow she hadn't actually expected anyone to answer. She glances at Sandels, clearly perturbed at being put on the spot, then cups her hands to her mouth and yells back.

"We mean you no harm, you can disarm your traps! I'm with Colonel Sandels! We're dropping off his exoskeleton!" Nailed it.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

A moment of silence ensues. Then, heavy footsteps can be heard from inside, approaching the door. Soon after, it is unlocked and the girl finds herself facing a white-clad man, at least two meters tall, more if you consider his wild black hair. Dark eyes peer at the girl, trying to figure out what they're looking at. She might notice two sheathed swords at his hip and the hand he didn't use to open the door is already resting on handle of one.

"I understood exactly one part of that", he says, "and he has a lot of nerve coming to me for... whatever this is."

The girl might notice the man's eyes sharpen as he looks past her shoulder. At about the same time, there's a snort from behind her, accompanied by hot sulphurous air. Somehow, the horse sneaked close behind, almost close enough to rest its muzzle on her shoudler. What do you know, it can move silently if it wants to.

Sandels is nowhere in sight.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Boiling Point
There were, which is where the other priestess gets her ideas of "appropriate" ritual "garb." But that's not the point right now.
"We don't. But a little blood, willingly given, doesn't hurt, right?" "I don't think she wants any blood." "But you also think..." Oh they're back on that argument again.
If only there was some way to ask the goddess what she actually wants...
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Hyphaelia stares up at the wild haired man, noting his weaponry. She's very familiar with how dangerous swords can be, and begins to back up warily- bumping right into the horse. She nearly yelps in surprise, but manages to compose herself.

"Sandels is- he'll explain-" he's not here. What the hell. She scans the area desperately, to no avail. A horrible suspicion begins to go through her head. Had he set all this up? Was this some scheme to lure innocent victims to their death? Or was he just a coward who fled at the first sight of danger? Whatever the case, she can't help but feel betrayed. Cursing herself for being too trusting, she holds her hands up in a placating gesture.

"I don't know where he went, but his shiny stuff is on the side of this...horrible creature," she says, stepping gingerly to one side and pointing at the horse. "He wanted you to take it for him. I barely know him, so whatever he did rest assured I had no part in it." She gives a winning smile, all while tensing to run if this turns further south.
Last edited by quillpleasant on Mar 08, 2023 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: Mar 06, 2023 10:18 pm [Cult Clash]

Oh, he definitely has to yell at these people too.
There's a guy with a knife about to stab someone who has no intention on running.
There's someone trying to break into a nearby building.
There's people scratching and grabbing at each other on the ground.
There's someone getting kicked for being a member of the wrong cult.
There's people standing around and watching.
There's people doing just regular property damage.
There's a punch-out going on.
There's a paladin trying to heal a stab victim.
There's a handful of people having a shouting match.
And there's some random person trying to pickpocket one of the bystanders.
While yelling at them won't make all of them to stop and get out of there, at least it would calm down some of the chaos going on.
Cult Clash

G'nichi sighs and draws the exceptionally pink rod from the back of his belt. He waves it, and an exceptionally pink and frilly outfit materializes onto him.
He does not look happy about this turn of events, but raising the staff causes a wave of pink ribbons to explode out from a ball in the air and seek out the people committing violent acts and tie up their hands.
G'nichi really hates using this weapon. Why does the most embarrassing one have to be the most effective?
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street Manor]

The horse huffs and turns around so that the swordsman can see the package of armor tied to it. It's not all that shiny, having been battered and covered in soot and dirt. The swordsman steps over the threshold and picks it off the beast. "What on Earth am I supposed to do with this?", he mutters to himself.

The horse, happy to be relieved of its burden, goes jogging down the street. The man hoists the armor on his shoulder and turns to look at the girl. "That man is no good. You know I have duel coming up with him in two weeks? You should find better company. But, you're not at any fault for being tricked to run his errands. Run along now."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[Arkham Street Manor]

Well, it's a relief the man isn't going to attack her at least. But still, Hyphaelia feels a little saddened at this turn of events, and more than a little angry at herself. Getting embroiled in some charlatan's dispute was not what she had intended to happen.

"Best of luck in your duel. It seems I was mistaken about our mutual acquaintance," she mutters over her shoulder, backing away down the path. Turning, she hurries off away from the manner, trying to see where the horse had gone. If it leads her to a hiding Sandels, then she's more than ready to give him a piece of her mind. Otherwise, anywhere but here is a good enough destination.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine

Miyuu smiles at the idea, a conclusion she has come to on her own, and gives a small nod before sipping from her small cup of tea and cradling her blade with one arm. The spirits settle down upon the android, though she doesn't seem to feel or know it herself. "I have chosen to believe that as well." She admits, setting her cup aside delicately. "If that is my Purpose, then I will accept it without remorse. But what of you? There seems to be a story there too."

Inside Docks

The Matron lets out a breath, deflating slightly and looking like she feels rather embarrassed and ashamed of her outburst. As passionate as she spoke however, she certainly believed what she had said. "No, no need to apologize, Inspector. Times are hard and it seems things have weighed upon me more heavily than I thought. You do not need someone berating you for doing your job." She inclines her head slightly in apology before turning towards Henry. "We call it Dreaming. Others would call it Astral Projection. It's more complicated than either though. To put it very simply, is the ability to traverse the dimensions through soul and mind, with the more able being able to manipulate their surroundings through it. Entirely ineffective in this reality, but we seek those who can help unchain The Mother within her prison. It's something that will take generations to do, in all honesty. But such things need a firm foundation to even begin and I plan to set it."

She gets up from her seat, stretching her arms high above her as she works out the kinks. "Would you two like to see? The ship leaves in about an hour and a half. If you wish, go turn the record in to the lab, grab an overnight bag, and travel with us. I will show you the fruits of our labors and I will swear an oath upon The Mother herself that you will both be returned unharmed and whole of body, soul, and mind either tomorrow or the day after, currents willing."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Streetside Shrine]

Verity explains, "I'm a necromancer. Only got into the Nexus a short while ago; back home, my business was generally contacting the dead to settle their affairs in the material world, so they could pass on without issue, though sometimes I'd contact ghosts to help with police investigations; those paths are often linked, you see. I consider myself fairly competent at soulcraft and otherwise working with the dead."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Arkham Street]

"I wouldn't know. What did you think of him?", the tall man wonders as he tosses the pile of armor inside. It's clear he doesn't expect an answer, though. "Best of luck to you as well." In her hurry to leave, Hyphaelia might miss that he gives her a slight bow before closing the door.

The horse has not gone far. It's visible just a dozen meters down the yard. Its body faces away from her, but it has its head turned to look past its own shoulder at her. It seems to be waiting for her.

Or maybe it is waiting for Sandels who is suddenly walking an arm's reach behind her. "I am not that far", he comments out of the blue, "never was. It's just better he doesn't see me like this." Hyphaelia might pick up that it's more that he doesn't want to be seen like this. "I am going to engage in some gruesome activities next. I have no money, but need pants. If the thought bothers you, I suggest you turn around and head back to the manor."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Boiling Point]

Hiep raises her hands in a "hold up" gesture, slipping her arms out from under her poncho.

"Alright, folks, wait one. Seems to me you really need to ask your goddess for actual directions. If she appeared on TV, there has to be some way to reach her. I don't know how gods around here work but I've spoken to a fair few back home."

[Inside Docks]

Sailing out with a psychic cult of Ivories know what. Not something a respectable detective ought to be doing. It's... an adventure. And he left those behind. But deep down, the younger and more optimistic man he thought he'd buried stirs. And wants to go on just such an adventure.

"An interesting proposal. I will need to notify my superiors, but I can go with you."

Of course, what the matron just said rings some mighty alarm bells in his head. Trying to free their "mother" from her prison? With psychic powers? That is never, ever, a good sign.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Inside Docks

Well, it's not like Henry has anything better to do. He's kind of dead. He doesn't theoretically need to eat or sleep. Though he does anyway. And he's here assigned to Michalson, so he'll keep following The Boss.
That description does sound very Culty but so has everything else.
"I'm certainly available. And do let me know if your Dreamers have any experience dislodging bonds from souls."
Or in his cases, horrifying giant claws dug into souls that somehow bind victims in undeath and makes them look weird and can only be seen by very specific people. He's still got no clue how it works.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[Arkham Street]

Lia is far too freaked out to notice any social niceties as she skitters away from the manor. She's just glad to get away with her life, regardless of the actual level of danger (or lack thereof).

When Sandels appears behind her she nearly jumps out of her skin, whirling around and giving him a light smack on the arm. "You! I thought you had left me to get killed!" She relaxes somewhat upon realizing that he disappeared more for his own sake, but still seems somewhat wary. Maybe she's been a little too quick to assume, but that's always been a flaw of hers.

"I don't know what money or pants are," she admits, "But what kind of gruesome activities? Are you going to kill someone?" She's not actually too squeamish about this, surprisingly. Death is just a part of existence, albeit one she'd prefer to avoid for as long as possible.