Inside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Inside

Post by bc56 »

Demonic Errands
"You'd better not. And I'd better not catch you robbing anyone else." Sekhmet releases Boada. "I definitely don't want to see you in my kingdom."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Streetside Shrine

"The tea is terrible, but thank you.
" Miyuu says plainly, trying to be somewhat humorous despite her monotone. She's silent for a few moments when Verity poses her question, taking a small sip of tea herself but not touching any of the food. "I am a synthetic being. Magitek. Android. Automata if you prefer. A one time pleasure model given a will of its own and a chance to break free of dominion."

The Inside Docks

"It is a pity I cannot see it in action then, for it sounds like a marvelous gift."
The Matron says, sounding sincere as she smiles and cups the glass elf's cheek tenderly. "We will be back to this city in time, but would you like to come with us when this ship leaves for home in a few hours? I do not know if you have much, or people who care about you here, but there is space for you at our refuge too if you like."

As many records as there are, it is entirely likely the pair could steal one without it being noticed for a time should they want to take it for examination in detail.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Demonic Errands

"I have no intention of going there, miss. And... thank you." Boada smiles once released, and zips off.

The Inside Docks

"I would, yes. I do not have much to gather, and no family. I shall return." Nelly smiles and bows her head, before taking that as a dismissal and leaving to gather her belongings. She truly doesn't have much; enough clothes for a suitcase, a potted nirnroot, and a few other odds and ends. When she returns, she'll have changed into jeans and a navy coat with a tricorn hat on her head, a pair of elvish slippers on her feet, with a hunting-sword at her waist and carrying several bags and a potted nirnroot. This is unlikely to be before the two investigators leave, however.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[The Inside Docks]

"It might be it." Michalson strokes his beard briefly. "Not much we can find out without sending it to the cutters at forensics. An' we don't have a warrant, so we can't just take it. Maybe I can convince the matron to let us borrow one. If she refuses, well, that might tell us somethin'."

[Hospital Waiting Room]

"I remember you picking it. It's a good name." Thariza leans in a bit closer. "Hi, Ugi."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Inside Docks

Henry makes a mental note that Michalson follows the rules of his job.
"Well, that makes sense." Henry remarks. "I'm not sure how to convince her, though."
Henry is only here to observe and assist really, so it's not too bad that he hasn't really added much to the investigation. But he wishes that he could help Michalson more.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Murkus wrote: Feb 19, 2023 9:28 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

"I'm sorry," Fettina says to Cantie as they lean their heads together. She's still in shock, still weeping, but a flash of concern crosses her mind. More quietly, she adds, "Must be hard for you. Everyone here and freaking out."

For Cantie, and really for the kid, Fettina tries to lean against the empath and just calm down.

When the nurse comes, Fettina will nod stiffly. She overthinks how to take the kid properly, but ultimately it's the kind of thing that comes naturally. After some brief, careful adjusting she'll look down into the newborn's face. Her eyes are full of wonder.

Slowly, she turns around to Kirk. She doesn't want to go over and make him feel like she's rushing him with the kid. Instead, she softly invites, "Kirk. Come over here and look at this little man, will you?"
[Hospital Waiting Room]

Cantata offers Fettina a soft smile in an attempt to assuage her spouse's worries, accentuating the intent with a gentle squeeze. She's fine, really - and besides, Fettina's feelings matter more to her right now.

The nurse's question hits her entirely unprepared. She stares for a second as if the actual possibility had never once crossed her mind before Fettina thankfully steps in. Watching her cradle the baby in her arms, the nerves in Cantie's pretty face soften and she slowly leans in as wonder overtakes her too

Inviting Kirk breaks the reverie somewhat. Her eyes seem a little nervous as she looks from Fettina to Kirk, a little worried about how he'd take it.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Inside Docks]

"I'll rely on another skill form my misspent youth." Michalson picks up the record. "Instead of resistin' dazzle I'll tell an outrageous bob without technically lyin'. Come, let's find the reverend matron."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Wolfbane wrote: Feb 22, 2023 1:04 pm Streetside Shrine

"The tea is terrible, but thank you.
" Miyuu says plainly, trying to be somewhat humorous despite her monotone. She's silent for a few moments when Verity poses her question, taking a small sip of tea herself but not touching any of the food. "I am a synthetic being. Magitek. Android. Automata if you prefer. A one time pleasure model given a will of its own and a chance to break free of dominion."
[Streetside Shrine]

"Ah, that explains it," Verity says with a nod, and a smile in response to the deadpan, "Is that why all the little elemental spirits are so drawn to you? I can feel them there, floating about and in your sword."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Murkus wrote: Feb 19, 2023 9:28 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

"I'm sorry," Fettina says to Cantie as they lean their heads together. She's still in shock, still weeping, but a flash of concern crosses her mind. More quietly, she adds, "Must be hard for you. Everyone here and freaking out."

For Cantie, and really for the kid, Fettina tries to lean against the empath and just calm down.

When the nurse comes, Fettina will nod stiffly. She overthinks how to take the kid properly, but ultimately it's the kind of thing that comes naturally. After some brief, careful adjusting she'll look down into the newborn's face. Her eyes are full of wonder.

Slowly, she turns around to Kirk. She doesn't want to go over and make him feel like she's rushing him with the kid. Instead, she softly invites, "Kirk. Come over here and look at this little man, will you?"
Arkhosia wrote: Feb 23, 2023 7:23 pm [Hospital Waiting Room]

Cantata offers Fettina a soft smile in an attempt to assuage her spouse's worries, accentuating the intent with a gentle squeeze. She's fine, really - and besides, Fettina's feelings matter more to her right now.

The nurse's question hits her entirely unprepared. She stares for a second as if the actual possibility had never once crossed her mind before Fettina thankfully steps in. Watching her cradle the baby in her arms, the nerves in Cantie's pretty face soften and she slowly leans in as wonder overtakes her too

Inviting Kirk breaks the reverie somewhat. Her eyes seem a little nervous as she looks from Fettina to Kirk, a little worried about how he'd take it.
[Hospital Waiting Room]

Hopefully the wonder isn't being disrupted by the babies squalls, because he's still quite vocal. Being born is a lot of hard work.

Kirk's eyes widen subtly, but Tina will get a read on his alarm with ease. He's being dragged directly into this, eh? After some hesitation, Kirk closes the distance. He looks at Fettina, then the crying baby. He seems to struggle to muster words. "Interesting eyes." He notes. even that benign observation a challenge.

Meanwhile Ugi doesn't seem to register that he's been named. That'll ome further down the line. He's quite content putting part of his fist in his mouth and dozing, though.
~Images by Soushiyo
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Inside Docks

"Then we will see you when you return. I look forward to it."
The Matron says sincerely, smiling and giving a little wave when the glass elf leaves. When Michalson and Henry return to her, they'll find her playing her instrument again, the amplifier chord in her mouth so she acts as an amplifier. The air pulses around her as she strums, but it stops when they arrive and she lets the end fall out of her mouth. "Did you find everything in ship shape?" Oh no, the puns again.

Streetside Shrine

"I do not know." Miyuu admits with a small shrug. "I do know they usually flock to the weapons I create, staying inside and resting in their new homes. I can only sense them though, I cannot really see them or interact except through my blades." She pulls her sheathed blade off her waist and holds it in her lap, running her fingers over it gently. "Sometimes I fear I trap them, but at the same time I can feel their joy? Particularly when I sacrifice my blade and release them. They seem...happy then."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Inside Docks]

"Everything is in order. However..." Michalson lifts up the record. "We found these on the ship. They seem to have an odd effect when played. I'd like to take them back to my precinct, so they can be examined in a lab. Just so we know what they are. A routine inspection."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Inside Docks

What a strange way of playing an instrument.
Henry nods along with Michalson as he talks. If the Matron allows them to leave with the record then that’s fine. They just need to keep a few things hidden like Michalson’s lack of a warrant. And in theory the fact that he’s just an assistant here. Maybe he should get a little HALO DEPUTY badge.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Inside Docks

"And the likelihood I'll get that back in one piece, whole and unmarred? It is a vinyl record, regardless of whatever else it is." She points out. The Matron is smiling though, as if she isn't entirely surprised, and she makes a little shooing motion. "Do not fret, do what you must to it. Destroy it if you need to, I understand. I would prefer if you didn't, but I do understand that sometimes a thorough examination will damage something fragile beyond repair."

She smiles gently, shaking her head as she sets the instrument aside. "Or...if you would prefer, I could simply tell you what you're holding. Apart from a vinyl record, I mean."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Inside Docks]

"I can write you a note guaranteein' its safe return or reimbursement." Michalson smoothly moves on from requests to reassurances. "We still need to examine it, if only so I can give a proper report to my superiors. But please tell me." If nothing else, this will be something they can cross-examine.

[Boiling Point]

By pure coincidence, a green-haired woman wearing a poncho of sorts and leading a large deer by its reins tries to cross through the two crowds of cultists. Or is it coincidence? The deer is saddled up and by all accounts this woman's mount.

"'Scuse me, folks, but your religious dispute is obstructing traffic."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Boiling Point
The back ranks of cultists shuffle awkwardly out of the newcomer's way. The leaders aren't really in her way, but they're still busy arguing. "She's a pacifist, you can't appease her by killing in her name! Even animals!" "We're not going to take that from a priestess who dresses like a whore! Show some self-respect!" People are staring now. Well, staring even more.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Inside Docks

Henry nods as the Matron continues to be very cooperative.
Honestly, at this point they might as well just tell her what they're after if she's going to just tell them everything. She's not going to be actually telling them everything (she'll put it through the cult filter first) but still.
"I know that there's something on it besides the plastic material. I can feel it in my nose." Not that he can explain it in a way that makes sense. Henry doesn't know how his bioelectric sense works. Or that it's bioelectric. Henry hasn't done a lot of research on sharks.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Inside Docks

"What you're holding is a part of The Planets Suite by Gustav Holtz. And an infrasonic-to-psionic dimensional resonator." She offers her hand to ask for the record for a moment, and if it is passed over, she'll run her fingers over the grooved surface before offering it back. "What you're feeling Henry is a spark of life. Bio-electricity. Not anything actually living mind you, but the building blocks. To keep it somewhat simplified, that tingling you feel in your nose and that I sense much of my world through now, is the byproduct of natural biological processes. It's the neurons and synapses firing. Think of it like waste heat of the body, but electricity. Static filling the air and objects and leaving impressions for those who can sense it, to see." For a simple explanation, it feels like it is going to get lengthy...

"When you sharpen a knife, you can run magnets along it to magnetize it, gifting a little bit of that electro-magnetic charge to the blade even if before it was never able to lift up even a small tack. This is created in much the same way, imparting part of The Mother's bio-electrical signal on the vinyl as it is recorded. Crude, admittedly, but effective enough in its way. The hard part is transmitting the signal where we want it to go." She gestures at her foot and proceeds to make a few incredibly quiet taps, but it can still be felt through the surface of the ship such a short way away. "That's where infrasonics come in. Noise at such a low frequency that must beings can't hear it consciously, but it is certainly felt through instinct and the subconscious. Find the right frequency and you can impart fear, panic, an itchy uncomfortable sensation, or even the feeling of being paranoid...or in this case, the right frequency recorded on the record, can carry the bio-electrical signal we wish to broadcast to those who are susceptible to it. Add in just a touch of guidance from my own powers imparted on the disc, and while it can cause some degree of discomfort, there is no real harm and it helps look for those who can properly resonate on the psionic and dimensional frequencies we need and ask them to come talk to us."

At the end, she gives a small shrug and smile. "I do have a degree in this sort of thing. I'm not just a wacky demagogue."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hospital Waiting Room]

There'll be time for Fettina to be annoyed by the squalling later. The little man is allowed! He's had a tough day, indeed!

"Pretty, huh?" Fettina says, her own voice amazed, "Got one of each. What are the odds of that?" Fettina bounces the kid gently, shushing him. Not from any instinctual knowledge. This is just what they do on TV.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Inside Docks]

"Seems like you exposed multiple people in this city to such sensations without their knowledge or consent." Michalson focuses on the non-scientific part of the matter. "We haven't received reports of any seriously adverse reactions... yet."

[Boiling Point]

The newcomer's gaze lingers on the sparsely-dressed priestess longer than it should. She can't help it.

"Shaming someone for the way they dress isn't very classy, you know," she points out. "But couldn't you just ask your deity if she wants blood sacrifices? Never trusted those that do, mind you."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Boiling Point
That gets a smile from the one priestess and a glare from the other. "We are our goddess' representatives on this world. And our goddess is not a whore!" The other rolls her eyes. Clearly she's heard this speech before. "She's not," she agrees, "But surely she wouldn't mind if I attracted new followers to her cause?" "That's just selling them a false promise." The actual question takes a bit longer to answer. "I'd love to but we can't just call her up for a chat," the robed priestess mimes talking on a phone.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Inside Docks

Henry opens his mouth but Michalson goes straight for the throat on this one.
"Yeah, that does seem to be the case of what happened. Uh, have you considered just a website? Flyers?"
This does seem like a bit of a...well it's direct but it might be a too direct way of recruiting.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Inside Docks

The Matron leans back a bit on her perch, raising a brow behind her veil, either impressed or surprised at the forwardness. "Do you have a phone, Michalson? You, Henry? How many others around here do? Phones, radios, televisions, IR detection, flashing neon lights, projected displays, satellite signals beamed directly down upon us from orbit like a kid with a magnifying glass. How many people do you expose to your projected and received data on a daily basis without a second thought given to their safety let alone your own? Stray microwaves flutter through the air all around us all the time, cooking us on passing. Waves and particles beaming through you mind, body, and soul every single moment of every single day, and you imply mine is the problem?" She states. The Matron sounds somewhat livid by the unsaid implications Michalson has made. "Oh, I know you didn't say it, but I don't need the Sight to read the intentions behind what you do say. You may play the direct and simple minded investigator, but I can appreciate the canniness there."

"Mine is no more dangerous than a song on the radio, a commercial on the TV, or a flier on the wall. Such things can certainly make you feel unease and discomfort already. Worse, really, if you believe some of the rumors about the things that invaded Riverside once." She points out before turning to look towards Henry, seeming to see into him for a moment. "Wanted: IT Personnel. 4-6 Years Experience Required. Minimum Wage Entry Level Position. Degree Preferred." She says with a monotone before shaking her head. "We are above something so banal and despairing. This is a Wanted Ad, not for a skill but rather an innate ability that the person themselves likely do not know they possess. Instead of using soul-sucking florescent lighting to look for people, I have instead tapped into the Noosphere." She gestures towards the record. "Ten minutes of short range broadcast, a broadcast most aren't even aware of, few will ever recognize, and even fewer will be able to decipher. Do you know how many people out of all those who heard it came today?" She asks before holding up a single finger. "Just one. And that's on not a good day, but a great one. What we are looking for is a very particular ability, and doing it this way, the search is controlled, measured, and safe."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Boiling Point]

Hiep does her best to remain impartial even though one of the priestesses has more persuasive arguments. Two very persuasive... okay, Hiep, focus.

"Has your goddess given you any directives about worshiping her? Since it seems you've got two really opposite directions here."

[Inside Docks]

Michalson watches the Matron carefully during her tirade. Her reaction tells him more than her words do. She really doesn't believe what they're doing could be harmful and is offended by any implication to the contrary.

"I apologize if my tone was accusatory. Magic or technology of such nature really isn't my specialty. All I know is that we don't know of any harm being done so far and if what you say is true it should remain this way."

Henry might be surprised by the way he backs down, but he's got a plan of sorts here.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: Feb 17, 2023 4:06 am Cult Clash

G'nichi groans, visible rubbing his face with a hand.
"Just go home!" he booms at the crowd, done with their nonsense.
[Cult Clash]

At G'nichi's insistence, most of the people scatter. A large number of them even leave!
The gal with the weird right hand keeps on staring at G'nichi, expectantly.
C'mon, punish this guy! she hopes. She's helping the dragon-guy out, so why isn't he doing the obvious and beating up the guy who tried attacking him? Obviously the 'just go home' was directed at everyone else, right?
The guy in her grip finally manages to squirm out and scamper away. The gal with the weird hand stares at G'nichi a little more, then pouts, grumbles, and turns to leave.

Thanks to the combination of G'nichi's efforts and the breaking out of violence elsewhere, most of the less-violent cultists have dispersed. Most of the bystanders, too! With the exception of the expanding brawl taking place on one side of the square, violence has been averted.

Over on the violent end of the square,
the Paladin Zophiel is kneeling down next to someone got stabbed. His hand is over the stab wound, as he uses his Paladinly magic to stop the bleeding. "I told you to get out of here, not to stand around filming it!" he says, chastising the victim.

The knife-wielding stabber is not caught, however, and appears to be in a (thankfully still only verbal) fight with someone else.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Inside Docks

Henry shudders like someone just stepped on his grave.
”Please don’t remind me of working retail.”
As much as Henry isn’t sure about his cursed self, it beats that hellscape.
He doesn’t answer the obviously rhetorical question about his phone, which is a secure communicator he got from the HALO science department. He had to get a special one since he’s so likely to get it wet.
His skin is starting to feel pretty dry. Might be that time again…

He also knows it was more than one person this week, though. Or else Michalson would never have gotten the report in the first place.
”What ability are you looking for, exactly?” he asks.

Cult Clash

Sadly for the lady with the strange hand, the Paladin isn’t giving her a second thought.
G’nichi looks over the remaining crowd and sighs. Looks like he has succeeded, but not completely. He steels himself and walks to the remaining crowd of cultists to see if he has to yell at these people too.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Playground in the Playground]

Asami dusts herself off, just now noticing the liner-like material. "Huh."

She then gets up, getting goosebumps as she notices the eerie silence. She got up, taking stock of the situation. The boy steering with his eyes closed caused her to be taken aback, almost stumbling over in the process. Lapis' presence didn't seem to calm her nerves, either. When the boy shows to ultimately have no response, however, Asami relaxes a bit. She takes a deep breath and mutters to herself, "I know I probably shouldn't, but... I can't just ignore this if they need help."

Steeling her nerves, she climbs up the sand and places an index and middle finger on the side of the younger child's neck, taking his pulse. Should no pulse be detected, she'd try to get a sense for the child's physiology using her powers. Finally, she'd gulp and speak up worriedly. "Hey, are you okay?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Boiling Point
"No?" Are they supposed to? "She's not one of those gods who's easy to talk to," She's not a god at all, but that's merely semantics and also not something either cultist is about to bring up in public.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Wolfbane wrote: Feb 26, 2023 5:01 pm Streetside Shrine

"I do not know." Miyuu admits with a small shrug. "I do know they usually flock to the weapons I create, staying inside and resting in their new homes. I can only sense them though, I cannot really see them or interact except through my blades." She pulls her sheathed blade off her waist and holds it in her lap, running her fingers over it gently. "Sometimes I fear I trap them, but at the same time I can feel their joy? Particularly when I sacrifice my blade and release them. They seem...happy then."
Streetside Shrine

"Perhaps you're giving them a home" Verity responds, smiling, "spirits often need proper anchors to keep themselves coherent. If your blades are doing that for them..."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Playground in the Playground

A few things are discovered, by both the girls examining the apparently younger child.

Lapis gets the following:
► SHOW SPOILER
Asami, meanwhile, discovers this:
► SHOW SPOILER
The liner-like material is bulging upwards, which might be odd. Or it might not, so close to the edge of the sandpit. The child, in response to the question and the hand on its shoulder, tilts its head to one side and gestures at the bottom of the pit with its spoon.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Boiling Point]

Hiep frowns. Something doesn't add up here.

"So why do you worship her? And how did you learn about her?"