The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Mee
Just A Fox

The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by Mee »

The Glittering Garnet Cafe is a quaint, quiet, cheerful little place! It's often just called "Sally's" by her regulars, and is owned by a unique enough dragon that everyone knows exactly where they're referring to.

The Cafe has an entrance door on the right -- after a brief entryway to avoid gusts of cold air from a single open door --, leading to a large, J shaped countertop with a few registers. Blackboards on the walls behind the registers, and glass viewing cabinets allowing you to see the delicious snacks within, display hand-written signs of what the specials of the day are. The place always just smells wonderful, in part because the coffee beans are roasted in-house in a side room, with a plexiglass window on an internal wall where you can see the roaster -- not that you can see much, it's an enclosed metal tube, but you can look! -- and then plenty of chairs and small tables for people to gather. The small glass covered counter displays the snacks that are offered; from pastries to salads to wood fire oven cooked small flat bread pizzas, which happily crackles and roars away behind the main counter.

The main room is fairly sizeable, though not huge by any means, and features a small standalone counter with various extra little pitchers of milk, sugar packets, simple syrup, and the mug return.

The proprietress of the place is, of course, Sally! She is a near 8 foot tall towering clutz of a pink dragongirl. She has dark blue hair that falls to the lower parts of her back, and is wearing a cute apron that does nothing to hide the absolute enormity of her- . . . heart. That's right she loves everybody, and just truly wants to help make people happy and bring them joy in their lives.

It also always always seems to be snowing just outside, making this place all the more inviting, warm, and comfortable.
► Reference Images
Last edited by Mee on Nov 06, 2023 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by Morty »

Someone has arrived at the cafe. Not the first visitor, perhaps, but an early one anyway. A tall, towering man draped in a green cloak held by a bright steel clasp, with a hood covering his face. His face is weather-worn, with dark grey hair streaked with silver, green eyes and a silvery tattoo that encircles his left eye in a concentrated pattern. He has a long beard, tied into a neat braid.

Though it may not be apparent, he's clearly not used to this sort of place. The establishments he usually frequents are... louder. And dimmer. This is far more subdued than he's used to. Not one to dwell too much on the unfamiliar, however, he approaches the counter. Which appears to be handled by the rare person bigger than he is.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Someone enters the cafe. A man in his mid 20s, short brown hair, wearing jeans and a grey t-shirt. A little on the tall side for a human (at 5'11") but short compared to Sally.
He likes to explore new places, and since this cafe seems to have popped up along one of his walks, he's more than willing to take a look inside.
Jason steps up a little bit away from the counter so he can peruse the menus without appearing to be in line.
Eventually, though, he waves for the dragon-girl behind the counter. "Can you tell me about the specials today? Any recommendations?" It's always a good idea to ask someone who works there what they think is good, especially if you're not sure what you want.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Morty wrote: Aug 01, 2022 10:14 pm Someone has arrived at the cafe. Not the first visitor, perhaps, but an early one anyway. A tall, towering man draped in a green cloak held by a bright steel clasp, with a hood covering his face. His face is weather-worn, with dark grey hair streaked with silver, green eyes and a silvery tattoo that encircles his left eye in a concentrated pattern. He has a long beard, tied into a neat braid.

Though it may not be apparent, he's clearly not used to this sort of place. The establishments he usually frequents are... louder. And dimmer. This is far more subdued than he's used to. Not one to dwell too much on the unfamiliar, however, he approaches the counter. Which appears to be handled by the rare person bigger than he is.
"Oh! Hello!" Sally looks up from whatever she had just been doing -- probably playing some gatcha game on her phone -- "Welcome welcome to the Glittering Garnet Cafe!" The tall dragoness smiles warmly at him, her smile one of cheerful innocent exuberance.
Oh no.
She's a Mee character.
"What- um- what can I get you?" Her hesitation is brought about only because she wants to comment on how cool his tattoo is, how his cloak is neat, how "That cloak clasp is really shiny," how- oh no that one did slip out. She manages to blush slightly, a little bit ashamed. She likes shinies . . .
"You are my first customer of the day, so your drink is on the house, and comes with a complementary cookie or other small snack if you would like!"
bc56 wrote: Aug 01, 2022 10:19 pm Someone enters the cafe. A man in his mid 20s, short brown hair, wearing jeans and a grey t-shirt. A little on the tall side for a human (at 5'11") but short compared to Sally.
He likes to explore new places, and since this cafe seems to have popped up along one of his walks, he's more than willing to take a look inside.
Jason steps up a little bit away from the counter so he can peruse the menus without appearing to be in line.
Eventually, though, he waves for the dragon-girl behind the counter. "Can you tell me about the specials today? Any recommendations?" It's always a good idea to ask someone who works there what they think is good, especially if you're not sure what you want.
And then another customer! And immediately, literally only one post in to the thread, does a fun little time split paradox happen! "Oh, yes, of course!" Sally turns about, one hand raising to her head to brush her errant hair out of her face, so she can frown over at the blackboards. She just finished writing the days' specials, why does she always have to check, her memory is so darn bad- "The White Zombies are pretty good, if you want a hefty wake up jolt, it's brewed strong and has a lot of sugar in it, I'm partial to the Sally Slam if you want a cold drink, orrrrrr the GLoG GLuG is just a good relaxing chai tea mix. I will personally recommend any or all of them, depending on what you may be feeling!" Her tail swishes cutely behind her as she looks over at the chart, slicing through the air this way and that, never hitting anything, but making these adorable little 'swoosh sweesh shwush' noises as it moves.

The rest of the menu seems to be mostly usual coffee shop fare; your brewed coffees, your special chocolates, flavored ones, beans from around various places in the world, snacks ranging from salads to flatbread pizzas and so many little treats in between.
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

A quiet padding as a sneaky something slid almost silently inside behind the last cafe comer. Or, technically a 'someone' but there wasn't any reason to be technical right now, was there?

No, perhaps more focus might just be this midnight-furred fox seems to have less wandered in and more followed their way inside with mischievous intent! Clearly it was up to no good! ...Or maybe just hoping to score some free snacks?

At any rate, it would give others a wide berth unless they appeared friendly enough as it took nimble steps around and under the tables and chairs until it found what appeared to be a preferred spot: Not quite out of the way but not blocking any paths near the barista counter as it hopped up on the bags of coffee bean decorations, made a few twirls, and then half-curled up into a circle of dark floof as two little sapphire glimmers peaked out like stars in this mass of fluffy night-time. Perhaps oddly, the very tips of it's ears and tail also glittered as if covered in a thin rime and it's breath seemed to have just the gentlest mist upon it as if it were a cold day outside.. Yet no great shift in temperature seemed to follow at least.

And there it would stay for a bit, just watching the counter as people came and gone though perhaps also the proprietress as she went about things.

At the least, it did seem friendly enough if someone wished to wander up to it although one might feel they would want to have an 'offering' in hand for some reason... Just something about the air about this frosty fox seemed to imply that.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Mee wrote: Aug 02, 2022 3:43 am "Oh! Hello!" Sally looks up from whatever she had just been doing -- probably playing some gatcha game on her phone -- "Welcome welcome to the Glittering Garnet Cafe!" The tall dragoness smiles warmly at him, her smile one of cheerful innocent exuberance.
Oh no.
She's a Mee character.
"What- um- what can I get you?" Her hesitation is brought about only because she wants to comment on how cool his tattoo is, how his cloak is neat, how "That cloak clasp is really shiny," how- oh no that one did slip out. She manages to blush slightly, a little bit ashamed. She likes shinies . . .
"You are my first customer of the day, so your drink is on the house, and comes with a complementary cookie or other small snack if you would like!"
The visitor smiles, seemingly not at all put off.

"Thank you. It has sentimental value," he says in a deep, rumbling voice. "I appreciate your gift, but I must admit the drinks on offer here are largely unfamiliar to me. They never reached my homeland, save in stories."

He turns to look at Jason, who seems to have a similar question. Perhaps the hostess can explain it to both of them.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mee wrote: Aug 02, 2022 3:43 amAnd then another customer! And immediately, literally only one post in to the thread, does a fun little time split paradox happen! "Oh, yes, of course!" Sally turns about, one hand raising to her head to brush her errant hair out of her face, so she can frown over at the blackboards. She just finished writing the days' specials, why does she always have to check, her memory is so darn bad- "The White Zombies are pretty good, if you want a hefty wake up jolt, it's brewed strong and has a lot of sugar in it, I'm partial to the Sally Slam if you want a cold drink, orrrrrr the GLoG GLuG is just a good relaxing chai tea mix. I will personally recommend any or all of them, depending on what you may be feeling!" Her tail swishes cutely behind her as she looks over at the chart, slicing through the air this way and that, never hitting anything, but making these adorable little 'swoosh sweesh shwush' noises as it moves.

The rest of the menu seems to be mostly usual coffee shop fare; your brewed coffees, your special chocolates, flavored ones, beans from around various places in the world, snacks ranging from salads to flatbread pizzas and so many little treats in between.
Jason considers the options. "A white zombie, and one of those raspberry scones please." He seems more interested in the menus than Sally's antics. She may be cute, but she's not his type.
The big guy here seems to be looking to him for guidance. There's something about him that feels off to Jason, but he's not sure what. Maybe he'll find out sooner or later. Jason himself is more than he appears anyway.
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

Another person enters, a scrawny little blonde with dark-circled eyes. She'd put out a cigarette before she entered, but she smells like ritual incense rather than secondhand tobacco smoke. Her scraped-up jeans, tank top, and hoodie do rather little to hide her bony little frame. She glances from the tall human, then to the tall cloaked man, and finally to the towering dragon-girl. She doesn't so much look Sally up-and-down as up-and-further-up.

"Not to jump the line or nothin', but---uh, think I heard this place was hiring?" She has a charmingly hoarse, scratchy sort of voice; whatever those incense-smelling cigs are, she probably goes through them with some regularity.
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

It was reinforced and even more clearly a Preferred Spot, due to a small blanket that had been put out, as well as a clearly re-purposed Cat Bed of slightly too large size. Also also a small sign on the wall above the bed, with a hand written note of 'Ask Sally for Snackos if needed!'.

~~~~
Morty wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:42 pm
The visitor smiles, seemingly not at all put off.

"Thank you. It has sentimental value," he says in a deep, rumbling voice. "I appreciate your gift, but I must admit the drinks on offer here are largely unfamiliar to me. They never reached my homeland, save in stories."

He turns to look at Jason, who seems to have a similar question. Perhaps the hostess can explain it to both of them.
~~
"Oh! Of course! Then I could get you maybe just a mild coffee, a bit of milk, a bit of sugar, just . . . baseline and mild enough?" There are a lot of different kinds, but I can get you started trying these, and if anyone tries pushing too many different kinds at you, just . . . don't worry about them please. They're not important right now." Honestly just good life advice.
~~~~

~~~~
bc56 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:00 pm
Jason considers the options. "A white zombie, and one of those raspberry scones please." He seems more interested in the menus than Sally's antics. She may be cute, but she's not his type.
The big guy here seems to be looking to him for guidance. There's something about him that feels off to Jason, but he's not sure what. Maybe he'll find out sooner or later. Jason himself is more than he appears anyway.
~~
"White Zomble and a raspberry scone sure thing." Sally putters off to the side slightly, breaking the seal of the coffee machine next to her, before thwacking the espresso handle maker on a a metal bar behind a cut out hole for the grinds, cleaning out the used coffee grinds, and then rinsing out any remainings. While she does this, her tail flicks behind her, finding and then sliding through a clearly hand made little set of tail-guide-rails to brush her tailtip against the sensor on the front of her coffee grinder, to multi-task and get coffee grinding while she prepares the machine. She tamps the grinds down, and lets the machine start to work, while she pulls a still-fresh scone out and offers it, on a cute little plate, over across the way to Jason! "Coffee'll be just a moment, I'll drop it off right there soon as it's done."

There's a raised little bit of countertop, just all the way at the end of the little row of a few cash registers, clearly designed for coffees to be placed to fascilitate moving them from the baristas to the customers.
~~~~

~~~~
Beans wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 pm
Another person enters, a scrawny little blonde with dark-circled eyes. She'd put out a cigarette before she entered, but she smells like ritual incense rather than secondhand tobacco smoke. Her scraped-up jeans, tank top, and hoodie do rather little to hide her bony little frame. She glances from the tall human, then to the tall cloaked man, and finally to the towering dragon-girl. She doesn't so much look Sally up-and-down as up-and-further-up.
"Not to jump the line or nothin', but---uh, think I heard this place was hiring?" She has a charmingly hoarse, scratchy sort of voice; whatever those incense-smelling cigs are, she probably goes through them with some regularity.
~~
"Oh hey hello!" Sally says, looking up, her green eyes glinting, from the coffee she's working on. "Am I hiring? That sounds like something I'd do." A normal person may sound sarcastic saying that, but in Sally's case . . . she doesn't remember. But she could probably use help! "Sure you're hired have you ever worked a job like this before?"
~~~~
Last edited by Mee on Aug 05, 2022 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beans

Post by Beans »

Mee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:27 am"Oh hey hello!" Sally says, looking up, her green eyes glinting, from the coffee she's working on. "Am I hiring? That sounds like something I'd do." A normal person may sound sarcastic saying that, but in Sally's case . . . she doesn't remember. But she could probably use help! "Sure you're hired have you ever worked a job like this before?"
The woman waggles a hand and shrugs. "... Ish? Done, like, waitress-shaped stuff. Anyway, I'm Evie." She smiles. "Figure you're Sally?" She again gazes up the slopes of Mount Sally with her tired-looking but still very alert pale eyes. "Hope you have aprons in size, uh, somethin' way smaller'n yours."
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Terumitsu wrote: Aug 02, 2022 6:38 pm A quiet padding as a sneaky something slid almost silently inside behind the last cafe comer. Or, technically a 'someone' but there wasn't any reason to be technical right now, was there?

No, perhaps more focus might just be this midnight-furred fox seems to have less wandered in and more followed their way inside with mischievous intent! Clearly it was up to no good! ...Or maybe just hoping to score some free snacks?

At any rate, it would give others a wide berth unless they appeared friendly enough as it took nimble steps around and under the tables and chairs until it found what appeared to be a preferred spot: Not quite out of the way but not blocking any paths near the barista counter as it hopped up on the bags of coffee bean decorations, made a few twirls, and then half-curled up into a circle of dark floof as two little sapphire glimmers peaked out like stars in this mass of fluffy night-time. Perhaps oddly, the very tips of it's ears and tail also glittered as if covered in a thin rime and it's breath seemed to have just the gentlest mist upon it as if it were a cold day outside.. Yet no great shift in temperature seemed to follow at least.

And there it would stay for a bit, just watching the counter as people came and gone though perhaps also the proprietress as she went about things.

At the least, it did seem friendly enough if someone wished to wander up to it although one might feel they would want to have an 'offering' in hand for some reason... Just something about the air about this frosty fox seemed to imply that.
Mee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:27 am It was reinforced and even more clearly a Preferred Spot, due to a small blanket that had been put out, as well as a clearly re-purposed Cat Bed of slightly too large size. Also also a small sign on the wall above the bed, with a hand written note of 'Ask Sally for Snackos if needed!'.

Sliding in under the door, belatedly following the fox like the long fingers of late evening stretching across a lonely highway, a shadow slips in to darken the cheery cafe's floor. It extends up the side of the counter and gently disgorges a large raven, fluttering its wings for balance as it reaches for something to grab hold of on the slippery granite. He winds up snagging the edge of the blanket, tugging it gently before settling and lightly preening under a wing.

His colouration is definitely unique, with a thin white band around his neck that fades quickly into a dark, purplish-grey head with piercing yellow eyes. As his beak comes away from under his wing, it's holding a small, clear marble with a single snowflake suspended in the glass. It's held in a knotted twist of copper wire dangling from his lower beak, and he attempts to press it into the relaxing fox's forehead.
I'm only here for the cabaret
Avatar by Soushiyo (Artist does NSFW material)
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Mee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:27 am It was reinforced and even more clearly a Preferred Spot, due to a small blanket that had been put out, as well as a clearly re-purposed Cat Bed of slightly too large size. Also also a small sign on the wall above the bed, with a hand written note of 'Ask Sally for Snackos if needed!'.
Sliibee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 3:10 pm Sliding in under the door, belatedly following the fox like the long fingers of late evening stretching across a lonely highway, a shadow slips in to darken the cheery cafe's floor. It extends up the side of the counter and gently disgorges a large raven, fluttering its wings for balance as it reaches for something to grab hold of on the slippery granite. He winds up snagging the edge of the blanket, tugging it gently before settling and lightly preening under a wing.

His colouration is definitely unique, with a thin white band around his neck that fades quickly into a dark, purplish-grey head with piercing yellow eyes. As his beak comes away from under his wing, it's holding a small, clear marble with a single snowflake suspended in the glass. It's held in a knotted twist of copper wire dangling from his lower beak, and he attempts to press it into the relaxing fox's forehead.
Yes, a quick twirl in that cat bed was all it took to imply that this frosty fox belonged here. Not exactly a mascot but... At least morale support?

The fox, however, was feeling the press of that bundle of cupric twine and gave the avian holder a... Surprisingly readable expression of confusion as one ear simply flicked to bat away a passing itch. Rather than react as perhaps a more wild beast would, it gently moved away as it apparently tried to parse just what the intent was here. Was this an offering or maybe was it something else? It tried to 'read' into this more but at least it didn't try to bat away at the bird in annoyance like one might assume.

....Also did that tail always look a little.. Hand-ish? No? Maybe a trick of the light. Clearly it was just a floofy tail that, while definitely soft and voluminous, was simply entirely mundane. Clearly.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Thanks." Jason slides with his plate over to the register. The tail guides are a clever idea, he thinks. Maybe Jade would use something like that? He'll bring it up later.
In the meantime, he can just wait for his coffee.
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Terumitsu wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:17 pm Yes, a quick twirl in that cat bed was all it took to imply that this frosty fox belonged here. Not exactly a mascot but... At least morale support?

The fox, however, was feeling the press of that bundle of cupric twine and gave the avian holder a... Surprisingly readable expression of confusion as one ear simply flicked to bat away a passing itch. Rather than react as perhaps a more wild beast would, it gently moved away as it apparently tried to parse just what the intent was here. Was this an offering or maybe was it something else? It tried to 'read' into this more but at least it didn't try to bat away at the bird in annoyance like one might assume.

....Also did that tail always look a little.. Hand-ish? No? Maybe a trick of the light. Clearly it was just a floofy tail that, while definitely soft and voluminous, was simply entirely mundane. Clearly.
Ah, excellent. Bobbing his head in confirmation, the bird drops the bauble into the fur of the possibly-awaiting tail, where the fox may find the little curls of wire snag like burrs, causing it to cling. It can still be removed, but can be hung on any hair or fabric it's placed on to accessorize. It glints eye-catchingly whenever moved, and he eyes it with appreciation and perhaps a fleeting bit of regret.

Then he turns to the large, glass jar of cookies nearby and pecks it twice, making a slightly loud Clong noise each time as he puzzles out this impenetrable forcefield separating him from the sweets.

"Grawk?"
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Sliibee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:31 pm Ah, excellent. Bobbing his head in confirmation, the bird drops the bauble into the fur of the possibly-awaiting tail, where the fox may find the little curls of wire snag like burrs, causing it to cling. It can still be removed, but can be hung on any hair or fabric it's placed on to accessorize. It glints eye-catchingly whenever moved, and he eyes it with appreciation and perhaps a fleeting bit of regret.

Then he turns to the large, glass jar of cookies nearby and pecks it twice, making a slightly loud Clong noise each time as he puzzles out this impenetrable forcefield separating him from the sweets.

"Grawk?"
"Aa!" came the succinct response! Not very loud but not that chitter-chuckling that one might also otherwise attribute to other vulpine sorts. The snag was momentarily distressing as the fur seemed to just.. Move by itself? Weird... But the curls of copper were soon found to be placed in a more comfortable spot where it would rest without further worry of catching uncomfortably... Somehow. In fact, didn't it just- Oh there it goes. The fur of that tail shifted more obviously to shape like fingers as the fox got up from reclining; the tips of each being nails of ice and though seemed pointed, were hardly sharp enough to be any danger. With curiosity it stood up from it's reclining space and did a little stretch before watching the Raven battle fruitlessly at this most dastardly of inventions, that unwholesome creation that let one see food as easy as day yet hide it from those that would need it most.

And so, the fox just.. Hopped up to the counter and with that tail-fur-hand now making itself into braids as it became more defined, waved briefly at Sally to catch her attention and briefly gesture at both Raven and the Cookie Containment Chamber. And then hold up a single 'finger'... Which then changed to two fingers with a bit of that chitter-chuckling before it turned back around with that odd yet magnificently fluffy tail and just.. Daintily pluck up the top of the cookie jar juuust enough for the Raven to similarly dart in and pluck it's prize. Or a pair, even!
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Terumitsu wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:57 pm "Aa!" came the succinct response! Not very loud but not that chitter-chuckling that one might also otherwise attribute to other vulpine sorts. The snag was momentarily distressing as the fur seemed to just.. Move by itself? Weird... But the curls of copper were soon found to be placed in a more comfortable spot where it would rest without further worry of catching uncomfortably... Somehow. In fact, didn't it just- Oh there it goes. The fur of that tail shifted more obviously to shape like fingers as the fox got up from reclining; the tips of each being nails of ice and though seemed pointed, were hardly sharp enough to be any danger. With curiosity it stood up from it's reclining space and did a little stretch before watching the Raven battle fruitlessly at this most dastardly of inventions, that unwholesome creation that let one see food as easy as day yet hide it from those that would need it most.

And so, the fox just.. Hopped up to the counter and with that tail-fur-hand now making itself into braids as it became more defined, waved briefly at Sally to catch her attention and briefly gesture at both Raven and the Cookie Containment Chamber. And then hold up a single 'finger'... Which then changed to two fingers with a bit of that chitter-chuckling before it turned back around with that odd yet magnificently fluffy tail and just.. Daintily pluck up the top of the cookie jar juuust enough for the Raven to similarly dart in and pluck it's prize. Or a pair, even!
The pact is sealed. With the offering of shiny bauble accepted, cookies can now be acquired. Darting his beak into the jar, the raven grabs two snickerdoodles and pulls back before the accursed lid can be closed. And then, conscientiously, he breaks one of the cookies in half and leaves it the rest in front of the fox, hopping off towards a sunny table nearby with the rest of his spoils.

"Grrk!"
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Sliibee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 5:09 pm The pact is sealed. With the offering of shiny bauble accepted, cookies can now be acquired. Darting his beak into the jar, the raven grabs two snickerdoodles and pulls back before the accursed lid can be closed. And then, conscientiously, he breaks one of the cookies in half and leaves it the rest in front of the fox, hopping off towards a sunny table nearby with the rest of his spoils.

"Grrk!"
Almost sealed! A glittering thing for a temporal treat is hardly a fair trade and especially not when even the prize of two treats became one and a half! Clearly the scales needed to be righted and the fox was going to make sure of that! So, striking out to follow the raven, the fox took a brief moment to stow it's 'payment' before sitting patiently until it garnered a last kernel of attention at the table. And with a slow wave of that tail-hand, it would gently reach out and hover just a little away to show there was no ill intent first. And wait there as long as would be needed! And then, if allowed, would just... Reach in and give a very gentle scritch or two as it 'balanced out' things.

Those ice-fingernails would, at least, not be so chilling as to be off-putting at least but there would be a moment of warmth as, well... It was hard to say if it was a blessing or not when it came to things such as Luck. Some minds might liken it more to, say, a causal sort of gravity wherein a well formed and things just.. Naturally fell in. Others would say that things would just fall as they should and that whatever people called 'fortune' was just clearing the path of life of unfortunate things. And still others would boggle at how, when viewed at an ever greater frame of reference, this sort of 'push' would seemingly either co-inside with things already in motion to generate a result yet to be seen and wonder if perhaps there really was something betwixt the relations of Luck and Fate or if, perhaps, it was an almost anti-causal force to set things up as it did. A flap of butterfly wings to bend the wheels of the ever-patterns of Chaos just so to allow for weal and blot out the woe. It was a debate yet held by scholars, magicians, scientists, and philosophers as they struggled to truly describe this exotic twist that such luck-granting beings could perform. And perhaps it was this very volatility of those forces being tampered with, of trading one Pattern for another in the ever-following yet never repeating forms of Chaos, the trickery of serendipity, the gentle nudge so that the path was ever 'just so' to where it was easy and clear to walk that gave this esoteric causal gravity it's imprecise half-life.

The Raven, though, likely wouldn't care about any of this. The raven might just assume it was given the choice to get a few pats and a tasty snack. But for the next while, it would have Luck. How it would manifest or how long it would last was, well, up to Luck itself. But perhaps, at least, it might find an equitable bauble to the one it gave in trade if not something even better. T'was the whim of fortune on how that would turn out, after all.

And, similarly, the fox was not thinking about all of this either. It just wanted to give something back. Balance the scales. And then go have a snack!
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Terumitsu wrote: Aug 03, 2022 6:03 pm Almost sealed! A glittering thing for a temporal treat is hardly a fair trade and especially not when even the prize of two treats became one and a half! Clearly the scales needed to be righted and the fox was going to make sure of that! So, striking out to follow the raven, the fox took a brief moment to stow it's 'payment' before sitting patiently until it garnered a last kernel of attention at the table. And with a slow wave of that tail-hand, it would gently reach out and hover just a little away to show there was no ill intent first. And wait there as long as would be needed! And then, if allowed, would just... Reach in and give a very gentle scritch or two as it 'balanced out' things.

Those ice-fingernails would, at least, not be so chilling as to be off-putting at least but there would be a moment of warmth as, well... It was hard to say if it was a blessing or not when it came to things such as Luck. Some minds might liken it more to, say, a causal sort of gravity wherein a well formed and things just.. Naturally fell in. Others would say that things would just fall as they should and that whatever people called 'fortune' was just clearing the path of life of unfortunate things. And still others would boggle at how, when viewed at an ever greater frame of reference, this sort of 'push' would seemingly either co-inside with things already in motion to generate a result yet to be seen and wonder if perhaps there really was something betwixt the relations of Luck and Fate or if, perhaps, it was an almost anti-causal force to set things up as it did. A flap of butterfly wings to bend the wheels of the ever-patterns of Chaos just so to allow for weal and blot out the woe. It was a debate yet held by scholars, magicians, scientists, and philosophers as they struggled to truly describe this exotic twist that such luck-granting beings could perform. And perhaps it was this very volatility of those forces being tampered with, of trading one Pattern for another in the ever-following yet never repeating forms of Chaos, the trickery of serendipity, the gentle nudge so that the path was ever 'just so' to where it was easy and clear to walk that gave this esoteric causal gravity it's imprecise half-life.

The Raven, though, likely wouldn't care about any of this. The raven might just assume it was given the choice to get a few pats and a tasty snack. But for the next while, it would have Luck. How it would manifest or how long it would last was, well, up to Luck itself. But perhaps, at least, it might find an equitable bauble to the one it gave in trade if not something even better. T'was the whim of fortune on how that would turn out, after all.

And, similarly, the fox was not thinking about all of this either. It just wanted to give something back. Balance the scales. And then go have a snack!
Slightly hesitant at first, the raven allows the contact and tilts his head sideways into the touch, ruffling his feathers briefly to allow those cooling fingers to run between them. Perhaps unaware of the multifarious whims of fate being rewritten over his head, perhaps just unconcerned, he pries off a bite of cinnamon sweet and begins to indulge.

But the tail's braided fingers do not come away unscathed either, bits of purple-black shadow clinging to them as they are dislodged from the raven's feathery cloak. They quickly freeze to the icy fur, forming crystalline shards of glimmering black snow that shatters at the slightest touch and floats harmlessly in the air around the two. As the air darkens and chills with their presence, the bauble the fox received shines brighter than before, glowing fiercer the colder it becomes. Perhaps not equivalent to a smattering of favorable fortune, but a comfort in dark times all the same. And very shiny, as the raven has a hard time not turning his head to capture the trinket with one gimlet eye every time it twinkles.

The sparkling, black splinters of gemlike shadow drift slowly back onto the raven and the table around, sublimating into nothing as they fall. "Rrk," the raven utters in thanks, muffled by a beakful of goodness.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Mee wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:27 am "Oh! Of course! Then I could get you maybe just a mild coffee, a bit of milk, a bit of sugar, just . . . baseline and mild enough?" There are a lot of different kinds, but I can get you started trying these, and if anyone tries pushing too many different kinds at you, just . . . don't worry about them please. They're not important right now." Honestly just good life advice.
"Very well. I shall heed your advice." The enormous man nods. "This place is different than other establishments I've visited. Newer and more peaceful." That's an odd way of phrasing it.
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 03, 2022 11:52 am The woman waggles a hand and shrugs. "... Ish? Done, like, waitress-shaped stuff. Anyway, I'm Evie." She smiles. "Figure you're Sally?" She again gazes up the slopes of Mount Sally with her tired-looking but still very alert pale eyes. "Hope you have aprons in size, uh, somethin' way smaller'n yours."
"Yeah I'm sure I-" She definitely does not. ". . . . I don't think I do actually. Um. Um. They're behind the counter -- the little door is right there come on behind! -- and then kinda hanging up in the back and we can just. Um. Cut some cloth off the bottom so it doesn't trip you! That should work!
. . .
Or maybe we have some safety pins and we can just pin it up a bit. That would be less permanently damaging I think."

bc56 wrote: Aug 03, 2022 4:27 pm "Thanks." Jason slides with his plate over to the register. The tail guides are a clever idea, he thinks. Maybe Jade would use something like that? He'll bring it up later.
In the meantime, he can just wait for his coffee.
A few moments pass, and Sally places a cute, and quite large mug on a saucer on the bit of raised countertop.
"White Zombie?"

Morty wrote: Aug 03, 2022 7:02 pm "Very well. I shall heed your advice." The enormous man nods. "This place is different than other establishments I've visited. Newer and more peaceful." That's an odd way of phrasing it.
"Well, thank you! I like being a peaceful place to offer, amidst the chaos of everything else!" She pulls up another mug, this one a bit smaller than the last she just slid across the countertop, got some more coffee grinds, well, grinding, and made more conversation while it finished up. "I've gotten a few comments of that! And yeah this place is pretty new! I think I've actually been open maybe only a week or so, but a lot of set up and work went into it beforehand! I do hope you enjoy!" As she talks, she pours water into her coffee grinds filled pour-over coffee maker. It works, drips, and she finishes it with a bit of cool milk, placing it also on a saucer, and placing this newly filled cup onto the raised countertop as well!
"So right in the back there," She gestures towards the back side of the seating area, "Is the collection of milk, sweeteners, and so on. If you want to add things into the drink to change it, you are of course welcome to, but it should be fairly mild, not bitter, and it shouldn't be tooooo caffienated."
Beans

Post by Beans »

"... We'll figure it out, yeah." She slips behind the counter, grabbing an apron and jury-rigging it with some safety pins. "Alright, boss, how we lookin'?" She's lookin'... honestly cute as hell.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Askeladd takes a sip of his coffee, opting not to add anything to it just yet.

"Hmm. A curious taste. Not like anything I've ever tried before. I do believe a whole wide world has just opened for me," he jokes. "Thank you." With that, he pays for the coffee and goes to take a seat, coincidentally at the same time Jason might want to do so. The young man will find himself towered over once more, this time by an enormous bearded Viking of a fellow. Not quite as large as Sally, bur large nonetheless.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Seat's open, if you want it." Jason gestures to the empty seat across from him.
If he's intimidated by Askeladd's size, he doesn't show it. He takes a sip of his espresso. His eyes widen a little "Phew, that's strong."
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 05, 2022 3:53 am "... We'll figure it out, yeah." She slips behind the counter, grabbing an apron and jury-rigging it with some safety pins. "Alright, boss, how we lookin'?" She's lookin'... honestly cute as hell.
"Yeah sounds good- Oh my gosh that looks so cute on you??" Sally takes a moment to just stand up at her full -- and on anyone else, truly imposing -- height, and look at her new assistant in her adorable apron. "My gosh. Adorable~
Um. Um. But yeah! If you want to take the next customer, I'll take a second soon as I can to show you where stuff is at least!"

Morty wrote: Aug 05, 2022 10:50 pm Askeladd takes a sip of his coffee, opting not to add anything to it just yet.

"Hmm. A curious taste. Not like anything I've ever tried before. I do believe a whole wide world has just opened for me," he jokes. "Thank you." With that, he pays for the coffee and goes to take a seat, coincidentally at the same time Jason might want to do so. The young man will find himself towered over once more, this time by an enormous bearded Viking of a fellow. Not quite as large as Sally, bur large nonetheless.
Sally grins right back, picking up on the joke. "Just be careful, the new world is wide and open and there are people that will try to push you into it or down their paths. Vehemently.
You are welcome, please enjoy~"

bc56 wrote: Aug 08, 2022 4:19 am "Seat's open, if you want it." Jason gestures to the empty seat across from him.
If he's intimidated by Askeladd's size, he doesn't show it. He takes a sip of his espresso. His eyes widen a little "Phew, that's strong."
"Dang right we don't brew weak coffee here unless requested." Came a quiet quiet quiet reply from behind the counter.
Beans

Post by Beans »

Mee wrote: Aug 08, 2022 5:15 am"Yeah sounds good- Oh my gosh that looks so cute on you??" Sally takes a moment to just stand up at her full -- and on anyone else, truly imposing -- height, and look at her new assistant in her adorable apron. "My gosh. Adorable~
Um. Um. But yeah! If you want to take the next customer, I'll take a second soon as I can to show you where stuff is at least!"
Evie grins. "Thanks, boss, but y'ain't exactly hard on the eyes yourself." She winks shamelessly. "Alright, let's sling some bean juice."

She drags over a sturdy-enough box to stand on and steps up behind the counter. "Alrighty, I can help whoever's next right up here."
Morty

Post by Morty »

bc56 wrote: Aug 08, 2022 4:19 am "Seat's open, if you want it." Jason gestures to the empty seat across from him.

"Mine appears milder. But I did tell the proprietress that I am unfamiliar with the drink. The enormous man takes a seat. "My name is Askeladd, by the way, A newcomer to these lands. And to coffee."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Jason Fisher." Jason extends a hand for a handshake. "Not a local either, but I've been here... 5 years? Yeah, that's right." He laughs. "Let me tell you, just when you think you're used to the weirdness, it throws something new at you."
Morty

Re: [Inside] The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by Morty »

Askeladd gives Jason the kind of firm handshake one would expect from a man his stature.

"I shall try not to rest safe in my assumptions, then. Of course, I have seen many odd things before ever coming here. Five years... much can happen in five years, in a place like this. And your words make it seem like something indeed has."
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 08, 2022 12:37 pm Evie grins. "Thanks, boss, but y'ain't exactly hard on the eyes yourself." She winks shamelessly. "Alright, let's sling some bean juice."

She drags over a sturdy-enough box to stand on and steps up behind the counter. "Alrighty, I can help whoever's next right up here."
"Well! We appear to have no more customers!" Sally says with a grin, before nodding a few times, and flopping down into a chair behind the counter. What this does to the dragon girl's enormous bosom is best described as Delightful and Eyecatching edit oh no white text messages don't work oh no oh heck edit edit it's okay I made them blue, for anyone else, the code is e1ebf2
"Soooooo~!" Sally continues, utterly missing the shameless and lightly flirty tone that had been thrown at her. Water over a duck's bridge! "So tell me about yourself! Who did I just hire?" She asks, pulling a half-eaten flatbread pizza out of the tiny employee refrigerator behind the counter, gently tearing off a li'l piece, and nibble nibbling away at it.
She also leans up just a bit to catch the eye of that adorable little fox and her next avian friend, and . . . waves? Excitedly? Before sitting back down to let her newest employee actually reply.
Beans

Re: [Inside] The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by Beans »

Evie leans against the counter, keeping one eye on the cafe lest she miss incoming customers. "Like I said, name's Evie---there's a full name, but it don't matter. I'm, uh... technically I'm the Devil-Queen of the 9985th Hell, but I told 'em I was goin' out on smoke break. Ain't been back since. For what counts, what I am is... I dunno." She shrugs, waggling a hand. "Gal who wants to just do normal stuff. Work a regular job, live in a little apartment. Doesn't exactly hurt that bein' away from the 10,000 Hells puts some distance 'tween me 'n the ex-missus." She smiles ruefully.