The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: [Inside] The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by bc56 »

Morty wrote: Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm Askeladd gives Jason the kind of firm handshake one would expect from a man his stature.

"I shall try not to rest safe in my assumptions, then. Of course, I have seen many odd things before ever coming here. Five years... much can happen in five years, in a place like this. And your words make it seem like something indeed has."
"Lot of things. Most of which I'd rather not talk about." Jason replies.
There's clearly a story here. But it would take some work to convince Jason to tell it.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

"I can imagine." Askeladd notices it quite clearly that Jason would rather not share the details. "Believe it or not, I came to this place on purpose, unlike many others. I needed to put some distance between my former home and myself. The Nexus is quite a handy place for that. So far I have not encountered anything spectacular, but I imagine it will change."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

A dragon flies in. It's a rather small dragon, about the size of a cat. It has glossy purple scales, leathery wings and a crown of horns. Its body is mostly tail and neck, and it prefers to hover and glide over landing anywhere. There's also a slight... distortion to it, things behind it seeming to look much further away than they should be.

It flaps near the counter and roars to generate some attention, the sound arriving after a brief delay of the dragon opening its mouth and echoing oddly in the cafe's space.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

Evie turns to the little purple dragon. "Hey, welcome---and, uh, how can I help you today?" She's not quite sure how to handle this sort of janky dragon-thing, but she hopes its order isn't hard to take.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Morty wrote: Aug 11, 2022 4:45 pm "I can imagine." Askeladd notices it quite clearly that Jason would rather not share the details. "Believe it or not, I came to this place on purpose, unlike many others. I needed to put some distance between my former home and myself. The Nexus is quite a handy place for that. So far I have not encountered anything spectacular, but I imagine it will change."
"The city's not spectacular enough for you?" Gleaming skyscrapers nestled against medieval fortifications and buildings with impossible geometries, while people and vehicles of every imaginable shape and size (and several unimaginable ones) traverse the streets and skies. "There's tons of tourist destinations all over the place. A quick internet search can turn them up."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I haven't explored the city much yet. Nor do I know what the Internet is," Askeladd admits. "In truth, I am interested in people and stories more than places. I am a storyteller by trade. Have been for quite a while."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Beans wrote: Aug 11, 2022 7:34 pm Evie turns to the little purple dragon. "Hey, welcome---and, uh, how can I help you today?" She's not quite sure how to handle this sort of janky dragon-thing, but she hopes its order isn't hard to take.
The little dragon roars again, and jabs its tail at the white chocolate chip muffins, and opens its mouth again and exhales and two gold coins suddenly appear on the counter, landing with a clattering jangle as though they've been thrown onto it with some force. They're dry, and also warm; not too hot to handle, though they are both slightly distorted and warped from being kept at high temperatures.

Beans

Post by Beans »

"... I mean, can't argue with that." Evie shrugs, taking the payment and rendering the muffin to the small dragon in return. "Uh, you want your receipt?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The dragon roars again, the sound delayed and echoing oddly, and shakes its head from side to side. It doesn't take the muffin, instead waiting for it to be placed down before swooping in and the muffin disappears.

Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 10, 2022 2:16 pm Evie leans against the counter, keeping one eye on the cafe lest she miss incoming customers. "Like I said, name's Evie---there's a full name, but it don't matter. I'm, uh... technically I'm the Devil-Queen of the 9985th Hell, but I told 'em I was goin' out on smoke break. Ain't been back since. For what counts, what I am is... I dunno." She shrugs, waggling a hand. "Gal who wants to just do normal stuff. Work a regular job, live in a little apartment. Doesn't exactly hurt that bein' away from the 10,000 Hells puts some distance 'tween me 'n the ex-missus." She smiles ruefully.
"Evie is good! No need for the full name if Evie is more comfy!" Sally nods a few times, keeping a practiced eye across the cafe while she does. "Oh! Wow! Wow I just hired a queen? I. Um. Um. Are you sure you wanna work here? I mean. I'm. I'm happy to have you! I really really am! But you're a queen I should be like. Serving you coffee!" Buuuut then Sally listens more. And while she may not be the fastest on the uptake, something about that resonates with her.
"Ooooooohhhhh. Okay. Okay! I must have misheard?" Sally offers as a question, a light smile starting to play across her face. "You're just a perfectly normal girl, working a perfectly normal job. But I am still just as delighted to have you here helping out! Thank you!"

Especially since then that little dragon swoops in and . . . goodness. That's a fun one!
Beans

Post by Beans »

Evie is glad that Sally does get it eventually. "You got what I'm puttin' down, boss, yeah---the devil-queen thing, it ain't relevant, nobody's gotta worry 'bout it. All that matters is I'm a cashier an' stuff at a real cute cafe." She beams, glancing as the little dragon does its weird, glitchy thing.

"Seriously, though, if anybody ever comes by askin' bout the Vicereine of the Wicked City or whatever, ain't nobody's heard or saw nothin'. They can't make me come back or whatever, but like, I'd rather avoid the whole fuss."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Morty wrote: Aug 12, 2022 5:51 pm "I haven't explored the city much yet. Nor do I know what the Internet is," Askeladd admits. "In truth, I am interested in people and stories more than places. I am a storyteller by trade. Have been for quite a while."
"Lots of stories here. The adventurers' bars are probably a better place to look than this. You can find Trog's on any street corner." He does mean any corner. It's weird like that. "If you're angling for my story specifically, you'd have to buy me some beers tonight, or save my life."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Unfortunately, we are in the wrong place to buy beer," Askeladd says, sipping his coffee. "I gather such stories as I encounter. My main interest is in stories that wouldn't be told otherwise. It is quite alright if you'd rather not share yours. But if you'd like I can tell you one instead. My one request is that you pass it on if you can."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Morty wrote: Aug 15, 2022 9:30 pm "Unfortunately, we are in the wrong place to buy beer," Askeladd says, sipping his coffee. "I gather such stories as I encounter. My main interest is in stories that wouldn't be told otherwise. It is quite alright if you'd rather not share yours. But if you'd like I can tell you one instead. My one request is that you pass it on if you can."
"Sure, I'm listening," Jason replies.
He's not especially one for spreading stories around, but if it's interesting, maybe he'll tell a friend or two.
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 15, 2022 12:43 am Evie is glad that Sally does get it eventually. "You got what I'm puttin' down, boss, yeah---the devil-queen thing, it ain't relevant, nobody's gotta worry 'bout it. All that matters is I'm a cashier an' stuff at a real cute cafe." She beams, glancing as the little dragon does its weird, glitchy thing.

"Seriously, though, if anybody ever comes by askin' bout the Vicereine of the Wicked City or whatever, ain't nobody's heard or saw nothin'. They can't make me come back or whatever, but like, I'd rather avoid the whole fuss."
"Already forgotten!" Sally replied with a joyous -- and Utterly Head Empty -- little beam of a smile and may not have literally lit up the room a few shades. And those shades were definitely pink. "Hemk yeah! You're a really cute cashier and stuff at a real cafe!" Wait Sally you got the words a bit jumbled ther- "If anybody comes to ask, I'll be honest with 'em! I've never heard the name! No idea who they're talkin' about." Sally shakes her head a few times, her rich blue curls of hair bouncing against her shoulders.
"Sooooooooooo, I guess I should ask more questions! What. Um. Favorite snack? TV show?"
Beans

Re: The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by Beans »

Evie winks, glad they have an understanding. "Hmmm... snack, uh---All-Dressed chips, they're like, barbecue an' salt-'n-vinegar at the same time? Could blow through a bag of those in no time at all if I didn't watch myself." She thinks on the latter query, though. "TV... haven't watched a whole lot of it lately, but sometimes they'll put on ol' cooking show reruns when I'm up late. That's some real content."
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 18, 2022 7:40 pm Evie winks, glad they have an understanding. "Hmmm... snack, uh---All-Dressed chips, they're like, barbecue an' salt-'n-vinegar at the same time? Could blow through a bag of those in no time at all if I didn't watch myself." She thinks on the latter query, though. "TV... haven't watched a whole lot of it lately, but sometimes they'll put on ol' cooking show reruns when I'm up late. That's some real content."
"Ooooooooooo those sound great! I don't think I've had them! N-next time you find some . . . would- . . . would you get a second bag? I'd love to try some too!" Sally looks up with the biggest, roundest, bweep-est eyes at her new friend.
"And that's okay! I don't actually have a TV but someday when I do I'm trying to collect a list of things to watch!! Thank you!"
Beans

Post by Beans »

Evie nods, beaming. "Can't think of a better way to spend an evening than demolishin' a couple bags of All-Dressed with my cute boss 'n watchin' some Italian grandma ladies cookin' stuff. You should come over some time, I'm not too far from here." Sally's looking terribly cute right now, jeez!
Morty

Post by Morty »

bc56 wrote: Aug 16, 2022 2:18 am "Sure, I'm listening," Jason replies.
He's not especially one for spreading stories around, but if it's interesting, maybe he'll tell a friend or two.
"Listen, then. I will tell you the dale of Tarsha, who pierced with laughter.

Askeladd leans back in his chair, assuming the tone and pose of a storyteller. It's a subtle change, but one that unmistakably identifies him as such. It says: listen and learn, all who wish.

"In an age long past, when the world was bigger and brighter, Tarsha lived in the cold land where I was also born. She was a free-willed girl, full of joy and laughter. She did as she would, not settling for duty or obligation. She wouldn't take a husband, wouldn't mind the hearth, wouldn't listen to the elders. She learned to fight, to build, to break and to sing"

"Might be she would have had to finally leave songs and fancies behind sooner or later, but the end to her reverie came more brutally than anyone could imagine. The Fair Folk, beings of gossamer and dreams from outside the world's borders, came pouring out of the chaos, bent on consuming all creation. They hunted mortals for sport and game, laid waste to kingdom and tore the land apart with their monsters."

"Tasha was among those who fled their advance, fighting to protect others when she could. She put her skills to good use, not for her own fancy now, but in the defence of others now. She saw in the Fair Folk the same whimsy she had, but twisted into cruelty. These fey saw all living things as sport for themselves. They cared only for their whims and naught else."

"And she knew, on that day, she wouldn't be like that. No, she would fight and die to ensure these simple folk had the freedom to choose their own dreams and desires. And it's said that in that moment, Heaven smiled on her resolve and granted her great power. With this newfound might she slew the Fair Folk far and wide... even if the killing blow would be dealt to them by a weapon more fearsome than Tarsha could dream of. But that is another tale."

"None know what became of Tarsha after the fey invasion. Maybe she died battling them. Or went her own way once they were gone. But she did return, one day. When the lands of her birth were threatened by the rapacious Realm, an empire led by traitorous elemental demigods, she came back and took to battle against them, sending them back to whence they came. Then, as suddenly as she had arrived, she left. Maybe one day she will return again, when her people are in need."

What Askeladd doesn't add is that when Tarsha fought against the Realm, it was actually him, wearing a young woman's shape. He believed his people would be more heartened to see a hero of their legend come to life on their behalf than if he did it under his own name.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"That's a nice story, I suppose." It doesn't have much of a lesson to it, so it must be historical rather than rhetorical. Jason doubts it's a work of pure fiction.
"Believe me, I know, secondhand, how terrible the fae can be. But there's something interesting about that second part of the story." His eyes flash with calculating intellect. He thinks he's found something. "The first part of the story is an old legend, clearly. The second is different. Assuming a separation of hundreds of years at least, there's no way it could be the same person, discounting ideas like immortality and so on, and if she was immortal, someone would have heard something of her in that time. Some other girl picks up the sword and claims to be the hero returned? No one alive could tell the difference, except her family. There could be an interesting story there." It's clear he's not a person satisfied by just what things appear to be on the surface.
Morty

Post by Morty »

A smile plays under Askeladd's beard and his eyes gleam. He's glad Jason noticed it.

"A good observation. Demigod heroes of my homeworld can live for centuries or more, but you're right someone would have heard of her in the meantime. She could have been elsewhere or actively obscured her activities. But another hero could have taken her name as well. Maybe she thought her people would draw strength from the return of their old, storied heroine."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Yeah. Being a hero like that is about more than just being a good person. You have to be a symbol." He wasn't exactly good at that, but since he's not talking about his private life, Askeladd doesn't need to know that. "A cultural figure like that is a good choice."
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 19, 2022 2:03 pm Evie nods, beaming. "Can't think of a better way to spend an evening than demolishin' a couple bags of All-Dressed with my cute boss 'n watchin' some Italian grandma ladies cookin' stuff. You should come over some time, I'm not too far from here." Sally's looking terribly cute right now, jeez!
"Oooooh, really?" Sally looks out the window, as if she could see a house clearly labeled Evie's Place!
She, of course, doesn't.
"Well that's awesome! I'm a bit away from here but still definitely within flying distance. We'll definitely have to visit your place! So ummm. ummmmmmm." Sally looks around, searching for another topic. "Do you play any gaaaaames?"
Beans

Post by Beans »

Evie keeps one eye on the cafe; the huge dude and this pal seem to be having a good time, the... uh, the animals are fine, everything seems chill. "Not a whole lot, but I've got the time now. Any you'd recommend?" Vaguely, she wonders how Sally flies. Is she hiding a pair of wings? She's not the most aerodynamic lady, as things go.

... Perhaps she bounces?
Morty

Post by Morty »

bc56 wrote: Aug 21, 2022 3:12 am "Yeah. Being a hero like that is about more than just being a good person. You have to be a symbol." He wasn't exactly good at that, but since he's not talking about his private life, Askeladd doesn't need to know that. "A cultural figure like that is a good choice."
"The best heroes, in my estimation, make others look on and think 'this could be me'. Within reason, of course... no use encouraging people to throw themselves at fiends they can't defeat. Besides, heroism need not be about martial valor. I just told one such story but my interest is in finding stories that others wouldn't tell or hear. Ones that would be forgotten."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Morty wrote: Aug 22, 2022 8:22 pm "The best heroes, in my estimation, make others look on and think 'this could be me'. Within reason, of course... no use encouraging people to throw themselves at fiends they can't defeat. Besides, heroism need not be about martial valor. I just told one such story but my interest is in finding stories that others wouldn't tell or hear. Ones that would be forgotten."
"I see..." Jason doesn't entirely understand, but at least it seems harmless and even helpful, in a way. "That's a noble goal, but you could be at it for centuries and hardly make a dent." It's not very practical in his mind.
Morty

Post by Morty »

bc56 wrote: Aug 23, 2022 4:35 am "I see..." Jason doesn't entirely understand, but at least it seems harmless and even helpful, in a way. "That's a noble goal, but you could be at it for centuries and hardly make a dent." It's not very practical in his mind.

"Perhaps that's true. But it's a goal of personal importance to me. And I've only been at it for... about a century or so," he adds, as if what he said was perfectly normal.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Morty wrote: Aug 23, 2022 9:42 pm "Perhaps that's true. But it's a goal of personal importance to me. And I've only been at it for... about a century or so," he adds, as if what he said was perfectly normal.
"Most immortals I know keep it on the down low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually they don't want tons of people begging them for the secret of eternal life."
Jason comments, "You almost make me think you're the girl in the legend, trying to spread your own fame." The comment is clearly meant in jest, he doesn't seriously believe that.
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Beans wrote: Aug 22, 2022 12:47 pm Evie keeps one eye on the cafe; the huge dude and this pal seem to be having a good time, the... uh, the animals are fine, everything seems chill. "Not a whole lot, but I've got the time now. Any you'd recommend?" Vaguely, she wonders how Sally flies. Is she hiding a pair of wings? She's not the most aerodynamic lady, as things go.

... Perhaps she bounces?
Yeah! Sally agrees; everybody seems to be having a lovely time so far! And the fire was still pleasantly crackling, a few nameless folks had gotten up and their table would need bussing in a minute or two, but there's definitely time to mull over the question.
"Wellllllllll." What games has she been playing? She tries to remember. There was that on- no no no not that one. She doesn't want to admit to whaling quiet so hard on a game with cute girls in it.
But they are very cute.
There was- nooooo.
Hm.
"Been playing a good bit of that MMO! The uh. With the free trial. Up to level 60 with no restrictions on play time. It's fun!"
Beans

Post by Beans »

Evie nods. "Oh yeah, I keep getting ads for it. Guess I do have the time, after all, I'll have to look into it..."

She looks out over the cafe. "Why'd you start a cafe, by the way?"