The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Re: The Glittering Garnet Cafe

Post by Felandria »

Ironsmith wrote: Sep 16, 2023 11:40 am "I'm not sure we would." Exsracy replies. "Not everyone who dies ends up down there. And the ones who do aren't usually long for that world, unless they happen to be both good with people and absolutely ruthless."

"Euphoria made it longer than either of us. If any of us would have met your mother..." Melody starts.

"...I wouldn't know if I had." Euphoria mutters. She decides not to mention the likely activities that would have occurred between them if they had met; no matter how bad their relationship was, Felandria likely didn't want to hear about that.

"...You know, it sounded an awful lot like there was a story there." Exstacy prompts. "And come on, we just told you about murder in our background, a little childhood trauma seems like a fair exchange."
Alright, well, easiest way to put it.

I was the product of a one night stand and my mother never stopped resenting me for it.

I was a burden to her, something to blame her problems on.

She never failed to try and make me feel worthless and lesser.

I ran away from home when I was 15, not that I expect she ever bothered looking.

But before I left, I looked down at her….

I should note, I wasn’t giant yet, but I’ve always been tall.

I looked down at her and realized there was nothing keeping me there, she had no use for me and I had even less for her.

So I left to become an adventurer, raiding dungeons and the like.

Never went back, never even used a spell slot to scry on her.

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

A green-haired woman in a poncho and a straw hat walks into the Garnet. Her eyes are bloodshot and she's squinting most of the time. There's a heaviness around her that suggests difficult trials - or rather, to the discerning eye, a hangover resulting from heavy drinking. She slowly makes her way to the bar, peering at the menu without much familiarity. She knows of coffee, but this way of serving it is new to her.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Felandria wrote: Oct 16, 2023 1:58 am Alright, well, easiest way to put it.

I was the product of a one night stand and my mother never stopped resenting me for it.

I was a burden to her, something to blame her problems on.

She never failed to try and make me feel worthless and lesser.

I ran away from home when I was 15, not that I expect she ever bothered looking.

But before I left, I looked down at her….

I should note, I wasn’t giant yet, but I’ve always been tall.

I looked down at her and realized there was nothing keeping me there, she had no use for me and I had even less for her.

So I left to become an adventurer, raiding dungeons and the like.

Never went back, never even used a spell slot to scry on her.
By the time she ends the story, Felandria will find Melody's shuffled a little closer to her, her hand placed comfortingly as high on Fel'd body as she can manage; given both are sitting, that will likely be somewhere in the center of her side. Her touch seems to radiate a soothing warmth, washing away any numbers of aches and pains Fel might not have even been aware she had before they're magically gone.

"...That's rough." The angel offers. "My own parents were the same way, only there was a shotgun wedding involved. And they thought of me and my little brother as a kind of trophy, I guess."

"...That's starting to sound like it's not the same thing at all, Mel." Exstacy mutters.

"...Okay, well, maybe not, but you can't tell me you're not at least a little sympathetic to the plight of having shit parents?"

"...Yeah, all right." Exstacy scoots up next to Felandria and mirrors Melody's gesture, putting her hand up on the giantess's other side. "Sucks, don't it?"

Euphoria hides a little smile as she takes a sip of her drink.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

A touching moment to be sure. Marred only slightly when Exstacy's phone dings with a text with simple instructions from an unknown number.
??? wrote:Pick up.
Unusual text to be sure. But it is quickly clarified when Exstacy's phone starts to ring from the same unknown number just a moment later with whatever default ringtone she prefers.
► SHOW SPOILER
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Shadowcaller wrote: Oct 13, 2023 3:50 pm [Double Dragons]

Ambrosia had certainly not heard that sort of compliment about her handwriting before.

She was getting the impression that Sally was easily excitable.

"I've heard of that yes. So that part makes sense if its common among your kin. However, something more unusual must have happened during your sleep then." Though she had as much of an idea as Sally of what it could be. "But... erm, moving on. What kind of dragon would you describe yourself as, Sally? Is your kin normally as small as you are or are you just young?" As much as Sally could be described as 'small' in any sense.
[Double Dragons]

That's a good impression to have about Sally! Because it is extremely true!
"Oh it probably did! But I was asleep. So afraid I do not remember!" She admits with another grin. It's like trying to remember if you snore while you're asleep! Or . . . or something like.
"Pink!" Came Sally's immediate answer to the next question, of what type of dragon. "Though ummmmmm. I don't thiiiiiiink everybody's as small as I am. I used to be Silver! If that helps at all! And if I try really hard to exhale a lot I can make some kinda cold breaths!" Either the most underwhelming description of a breath attack, or she . . . can only really manage a cold puff.
"I- . . . dunno how old I am though."
* author's note, Sally is an adult, Sally was an adult before she went honk shoo, she just genuinely doesn't remember exact numbers, because I've never decided them. But 'young adult' is accurate.
"Sorry! But whatever it was, it's all that plus about two years since I woke up for realzies and started to muck about again!"
Meowmai wrote: Oct 14, 2023 10:01 am Meepy Borb

Roxanne, blinks, not expecting that level of excitement or interest to grow so suddenly. But then she leans in. Not everyday you hear someone actually interested to hear about your work. "Well, it's maybe not the most respected field of biology, but, I'm a cryptozoologist! Which... well, it's sorta complicated here, cus what even is a cryptid when basically everything can be real? But it's fascinating, right? The line between biology, myth and folklore. When does an creature become normal? What even defines that!?" The harpy leans in closer. "I've got whole lines of theories about what defines them, y'know, sometimes I start to think we create them through belief. And the biology is all over the place. Just think what we could do if we learned how they worked! The scientific advancement!"

The harpy, so tired and dour before, launches full force into this ramble, completely unaware that she might even be rambling.
Honk Shoo Fwend Orb

"Oh my gosh you study those funny computer coins with animals on them?" Sally that . . . cryptozoologist is not just the word 'crypto' and 'zoologist' together. "But yeah that sounds amazing! Like, since I got here, I've seen things I'd only ever heard about in stories, right? That's gotta be fun!!" She listens a bit more, nodding several times. "It's like, like, like gods right? They exist because we believe in them. Same logic right?"

It's okay Roxanne! Sally doesn't realize you're rambling either! She's having fun!
Morty wrote: Oct 22, 2023 10:10 am A green-haired woman in a poncho and a straw hat walks into the Garnet. Her eyes are bloodshot and she's squinting most of the time. There's a heaviness around her that suggests difficult trials - or rather, to the discerning eye, a hangover resulting from heavy drinking. She slowly makes her way to the bar, peering at the menu without much familiarity. She knows of coffee, but this way of serving it is new to her.
Sally has enough scenes at the moment, it can be the cute cowgirl's turn to greet somebody!
Ber'ri is about 5'3", and is a quite curvy cowgirl -- though compared to *Sally* . . . -- she has cute horns that are weirdly gemlike and purple, with smooth flat surfaces, polished, see through, they look like perfectly carved cow horn shaped amethysts. Sharing space atop her head is her mint green hair with flecks and strands of gold running throughout, her eyes are purple, and share the same tones a hues as her horns. And she is, all in all, pretty hemkin' adorably pretty.
"Oh he-" Ber'ri notices very quickly how quite . . . absolutely hungover this poor newcomer is, and she tones back the amount of energy in her voice, to avoid being overwhelming and possibly hurting someone with a sensitive head.
"Hey there." She says, still quite friendly, but . . . quieter. "Welcome to the Garnet. Can I get you some coffee? You like you could use it." As she talks, she can't stop her hands fidgeting slightly, and her nails are also cutely purple, to match her horns and eyes.
And . . .
. . .
And still gemlike, the way the light refracts off of them.
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Ironsmith wrote: Oct 24, 2023 2:33 pm By the time she ends the story, Felandria will find Melody's shuffled a little closer to her, her hand placed comfortingly as high on Fel'd body as she can manage; given both are sitting, that will likely be somewhere in the center of her side. Her touch seems to radiate a soothing warmth, washing away any numbers of aches and pains Fel might not have even been aware she had before they're magically gone.

"...That's rough." The angel offers. "My own parents were the same way, only there was a shotgun wedding involved. And they thought of me and my little brother as a kind of trophy, I guess."

"...That's starting to sound like it's not the same thing at all, Mel." Exstacy mutters.

"...Okay, well, maybe not, but you can't tell me you're not at least a little sympathetic to the plight of having shit parents?"

"...Yeah, all right." Exstacy scoots up next to Felandria and mirrors Melody's gesture, putting her hand up on the giantess's other side. "Sucks, don't it?"

Euphoria hides a little smile as she takes a sip of her drink.
Felandria noms some more bacon and drinks some chocolate milk before she casually puts her arms around Melody and Exstacy, a hand on each of their shoulders.

Then the phone rings.

Fel looks to Euphoria.

Is it……..time?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

So raise your glass if you are wrong, in all the right ways, all my underdogs~

"...Stacy? Why are your boobs playing music?"

Exstacy reaches into her shirt and pulls up a smart phone on a chain, the other end of which disappears back under the illusion she's wearing. "...No pockets. It was this or get used to walking funny." She mutters, pressing it up to her ear. "You've reached Stacy. What's up?"

Euphoria, meanwhile, gives Felandria a little head shake. That phone call could be anyone, and if Ilpholin were in a place where their contingency plan would work, she certainly wouldn't bother with calling ahead. This... is almost certainly something else.

...Unless that's not the "time" Fel was referring to, Euphoria mentally appends, seeing the giantess with an arm wrapped around each of her bandmates. But she imagines it will be a lot more obvious when that milestone somes around.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Nov 04, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Hello Stacy," Ilpholin says quietly from the other side of the phone. "Are you alone right now? Well if you're not, please just act like this is no one important. I think is the first time we've really talked. I'm Ilpholin Xar'cha and I want to discuss a deal with you."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

Mee wrote: Nov 02, 2023 3:54 am Sally has enough scenes at the moment, it can be the cute cowgirl's turn to greet somebody!
Ber'ri is about 5'3", and is a quite curvy cowgirl -- though compared to *Sally* . . . -- she has cute horns that are weirdly gemlike and purple, with smooth flat surfaces, polished, see through, they look like perfectly carved cow horn shaped amethysts. Sharing space atop her head is her mint green hair with flecks and strands of gold running throughout, her eyes are purple, and share the same tones a hues as her horns. And she is, all in all, pretty hemkin' adorably pretty.
"Oh he-" Ber'ri notices very quickly how quite . . . absolutely hungover this poor newcomer is, and she tones back the amount of energy in her voice, to avoid being overwhelming and possibly hurting someone with a sensitive head.
"Hey there." She says, still quite friendly, but . . . quieter. "Welcome to the Garnet. Can I get you some coffee? You like you could use it." As she talks, she can't stop her hands fidgeting slightly, and her nails are also cutely purple, to match her horns and eyes.
And . . .
. . .
And still gemlike, the way the light refracts off of them.
Ber'ri isn't really unusual, given Hiep's experience, but she certainly is pretty. A sight for sore eyes. Very sore in her current state.

"Yeah. Think I'll need something strong. But I've only ever drunk plain black coffee. And it looks like you've got a whole other world of it here."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Double Dragons]

Ambrosia pauses in her note taking. "So if I understand it correctly, you were a silver-scaled dragon with a breath weapon of cold but after your long slumber you woke up with pink-scales, as in a 'pink dragon'. Is that correct? Or are there more differences than just the scales and the shapeshifting powers that you've noticed?"
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Morty wrote: Nov 03, 2023 8:52 pm Ber'ri isn't really unusual, given Hiep's experience, but she certainly is pretty. A sight for sore eyes. Very sore in her current state.

"Yeah. Think I'll need something strong. But I've only ever drunk plain black coffee. And it looks like you've got a whole other world of it here."
"Oh no, don't you worry." Ber'ri grins, almost . . . evilly? Not at Hiep, but at the thought of the coffee she's been keeping secret. "I am a college student. I can and will make you some *potent* coffee. If you'd like to find a seat, I'll be right out with it." Ber'ri gestures towards the drinking area, full of chairs, tables, and a couch by a warmly crackling fireplace.

And then she makes her personal recipe of coffee. Banned in 47 different countries. A crime against good tasting coffee, if not legally.
And she starts brewing espresso shots.
Five of them straight into the mug, and then she tops it off with brewed coffee to the top.
She affectionately calls this concoction of a sleep deprived college student a 'Sludge Cup', and it's best taken fast, straight, and without lingering on the flavor for too long.

She brings out this steaming mix as soon as it's ready, and after Hiep finds a seat, and places it on the table with a warning of "This is . . . *incredibly* strong. If you want something strong and for flavor, I will gladly get something else going, but this is . . . this is the strongest I can do for you."
Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 04, 2023 4:54 pm [Double Dragons]

Ambrosia pauses in her note taking. "So if I understand it correctly, you were a silver-scaled dragon with a breath weapon of cold but after your long slumber you woke up with pink-scales, as in a 'pink dragon'. Is that correct? Or are there more differences than just the scales and the shapeshifting powers that you've noticed?"
[Double Dragons]

Sally listens. Her eyes looking up to the top right, not at anything, but just up in that thinking sort of face she tends to lean on when trying to do hard arithmetic. Her lips purse cutely as she thinks, but she nods pretty quickly.
"Yup! That's spot on! Silver and cold, went to sleep, woke up pink and still cold stuff, and . . . no honestly that's about the only changes I've noticed. Me being a li'l dragon is still pretty much the exact same it used to be -- maybe a tiny bit bigger, but I think dragons just kinda do that as they get older? --, though I can't . . ." She looks down at her hand, turning it over to look at the front and back of those digits she knows so well. "C-can't exactly compare *this* to how it 'used' to be, you know?" She asks with a bit of a giggle. "But no otherwise . . . I think that's it? Or it's . . . it's not something I knew of then to *watch* for changes now, I'm afraid." So there probably *were* further changes, she just may not recognize them, consciously, as things that had changed, and haven't always been like this.
But she's trying her best!
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Alva stood back after adjusting the signage. It had taken a little time but now the cafe felt complete, somehow. Though, never one to totally leave something alone, she pondered for a second before a little 'aha!' came to her eyes and she flicked a tail at the Garnet's new logo. Just a few subtle enchantments aaaaaand.. There it was! The 'coffee drip' of the garnet in the sign now glowed gently even when the light wasn't on it and she added just a cheeky bit of sparkle so that it would draw the eye towards the counter.

And who could blame her for wanting to flourish just a bit with a bit of illusion magic? It was small in the grand scheme of things, yes, but happiness was in the small things. She took a moment to only briefly catch her wife's eye and wave at her so she too could see how it looked before turning back to the counter; all while wearing a grin that was almost as big as the one she had when looking at Sally.
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 02, 2023 8:05 am "Hello Stacy," Ilpholin says quietly from the other side of the phone. "Are you alone right now? Well if you're not, please just act like this is no one important. I think is the first time we've really talked. I'm Ilpholin Xar'cha and I want to discuss a deal with you."
Felandria waits for the phone call to end, she does not want to be rude.

She will give a friendly little squeeze to the shoulders of the new friends on each side of her.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Mee wrote: Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm "Oh no, don't you worry." Ber'ri grins, almost . . . evilly? Not at Hiep, but at the thought of the coffee she's been keeping secret. "I am a college student. I can and will make you some *potent* coffee. If you'd like to find a seat, I'll be right out with it." Ber'ri gestures towards the drinking area, full of chairs, tables, and a couch by a warmly crackling fireplace.

And then she makes her personal recipe of coffee. Banned in 47 different countries. A crime against good tasting coffee, if not legally.
And she starts brewing espresso shots.
Five of them straight into the mug, and then she tops it off with brewed coffee to the top.
She affectionately calls this concoction of a sleep deprived college student a 'Sludge Cup', and it's best taken fast, straight, and without lingering on the flavor for too long.

She brings out this steaming mix as soon as it's ready, and after Hiep finds a seat, and places it on the table with a warning of "This is . . . *incredibly* strong. If you want something strong and for flavor, I will gladly get something else going, but this is . . . this is the strongest I can do for you."
Hiep finds a seat, uncharacteristically for her an out of the way one. She takes off her hat and rests her head against the seat of the chair as she tries to will the ringing in her head to stop. When Ber'ri arrives with the coffee, she takes it and drinks it without a moment's hesitation. Thankfully she doesn't try to gulp it down all at once. She blinks, shakes her head and smiles weakly.

"I didn't know I needed that, but I did need that. Feels like it could wake the dead."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Mee wrote: Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm [Double Dragons]

Sally listens. Her eyes looking up to the top right, not at anything, but just up in that thinking sort of face she tends to lean on when trying to do hard arithmetic. Her lips purse cutely as she thinks, but she nods pretty quickly.
"Yup! That's spot on! Silver and cold, went to sleep, woke up pink and still cold stuff, and . . . no honestly that's about the only changes I've noticed. Me being a li'l dragon is still pretty much the exact same it used to be -- maybe a tiny bit bigger, but I think dragons just kinda do that as they get older? --, though I can't . . ." She looks down at her hand, turning it over to look at the front and back of those digits she knows so well. "C-can't exactly compare *this* to how it 'used' to be, you know?" She asks with a bit of a giggle. "But no otherwise . . . I think that's it? Or it's . . . it's not something I knew of then to *watch* for changes now, I'm afraid." So there probably *were* further changes, she just may not recognize them, consciously, as things that had changed, and haven't always been like this.
But she's trying her best!
[Double Dragons]

The scholar nods as she takes a few notes. Scrawling barely illegible words in shorthand as Sally talks.
"And how do you feel about your new form? I imagine it must have opened up a lot of doors for you." She gestures to Sally. "Oh, but speaking of, when you shape-shift, do your clothes come with you?"
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Terumitsu wrote: Nov 05, 2023 1:11 am ((a beautiful image! Almost as beautiful as Sally's wife!))

Alva stood back after adjusting the signage. It had taken a little time but now the cafe felt complete, somehow. Though, never one to totally leave something alone, she pondered for a second before a little 'aha!' came to her eyes and she flicked a tail at the Garnet's new logo. Just a few subtle enchantments aaaaaand.. There it was! The 'coffee drip' of the garnet in the sign now glowed gently even when the light wasn't on it and she added just a cheeky bit of sparkle so that it would draw the eye towards the counter.

And who could blame her for wanting to flourish just a bit with a bit of illusion magic? It was small in the grand scheme of things, yes, but happiness was in the small things. She took a moment to only briefly catch her wife's eye and wave at her so she too could see how it looked before turning back to the counter; all while wearing a grin that was almost as big as the one she had when looking at Sally.
"Oh my gosh that is *amazing*!!" Sally beams at Alva, "That's so good!!" She exclaims, dashing over to get a closer look. "Oh my gosh you said you had a surprise today for the cafe but I didn't expect this!! This is . . . aaaaaa!" She darts over to hug her wife tightly. "It's beautiful!! It's just like you!"

Morty wrote: Nov 05, 2023 12:43 pm Hiep finds a seat, uncharacteristically for her an out of the way one. She takes off her hat and rests her head against the seat of the chair as she tries to will the ringing in her head to stop. When Ber'ri arrives with the coffee, she takes it and drinks it without a moment's hesitation. Thankfully she doesn't try to gulp it down all at once. She blinks, shakes her head and smiles weakly.

"I didn't know I needed that, but I did need that. Feels like it could wake the dead."
Ber'ri just *grins* at the reaction from that drink. It was, she had to admit every time she makes it, terrifyingly strong.
"Heck yeah~ I'm glad I could get that for you then! You're lookin' better already!" Ber'ri also takes a second to put out just some nice, room temperature water on the table as well. As well as several napkins. And a couple over the counter pain meds that had occasionally helped her before. Just . . . just in case maybe Hiep wanted or needed any of them.

She knelt down, getting a bit closer to Hiep, since she's resting her head against the chair, and asks, quietly, "Would you also like somethin' that tastes better'n that? I can get you something light started. Please please don't feel obligated to finish the Sludge if you aren't up for it; it's a heck of a drink, and I will not be offended."
Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 05, 2023 9:45 pm [Double Dragons]

The scholar nods as she takes a few notes. Scrawling barely illegible words in shorthand as Sally talks.
"And how do you feel about your new form? I imagine it must have opened up a lot of doors for you." She gestures to Sally. "Oh, but speaking of, when you shape-shift, do your clothes come with you?"
[Double Dragons]

Wow! Ambrosia knows cryptic runes too!! How is she so cool!?
"Oh I love it! It opened a lot of doors, but I do occasionally get stuck in them now?" Sally frowns a bit at the memories. Doors were . . . not designed for someone of her size. Then a pause, several blinks, and a bit of a blush spreads across her cheeks. "Y-y-y-yeah yeah yeah! T-they seem to! Or . . . I mean. They kinda disappear when am smoll dragon. Then reappear when I change back."
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

[Sparkling Signage]

"Beautiful like me? And here I had you in mind when I was describing the design!" Alva responded, catching Sally in that tight hug and picking her up to turn that momentum into a little twirl. The regulars of this café were probably by now quite used to just how saccharine these two could be on a near daily basis. "Glad that you like it!" she hummed, holding on for just a little longer before she would let Sally get back to things. Sure, she could hug Sally any time but somehow that didn't dilute the joy of it. And besides, moments like this were always best shared!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Hungover Sidereal]

Hiep does seem to show remarkable resilience to the drink, for a woman her size. Maybe it's just experience.

"No, I'm going to finish it. In the hope it makes my head feel less like it's filled with warm wool. But I won't mind something sweeter to wash it down with."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Double Dragons]

Ambrosia tilts her head. Stuck in doorways? She could see that. Though she could scarcely imagine moving around with such enormous weights on her chest. At least not while handling a sword at the same time. Sally didn't seem to have any trouble though. "That's convenient at least. But I suspect many dragons would at least relate to you regarding getting stuck in things clearly not meant for their size." Though usually they were in dragon form for that, not the other way around. "But otherwise I take it you enjoy this new form? Perhaps you could describe what you like about it the most."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 02, 2023 8:05 am "Hello Stacy," Ilpholin says quietly from the other side of the phone. "Are you alone right now? Well if you're not, please just act like this is no one important. I think is the first time we've really talked. I'm Ilpholin Xar'cha and I want to discuss a deal with you."
Felandria wrote: Nov 05, 2023 7:38 am

Felandria waits for the phone call to end, she does not want to be rude.

She will give a friendly little squeeze to the shoulders of the new friends on each side of her.
"...A deal? What sort of deal?" Stacy asks, mouthing "be quiet" to the others while putting the phone on speaker. The babble of people in the cafe around them might come through a little more clearly, but hopefully, with any luck, she won't be giving away that she's sharing this conversation.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"... Yeah, expecting a demon in a rebellious band group to follow instructions well. That one. That one's on me." The nymph appears to have noticed the difference. Her ears are well trained.

Regardless, Ilpholin continues after a short sigh. "The kind of deal whose details are important enough that even if you hadn't done that, I couldn't share them fully over the phone. There's more than whomever you're sitting with watching and listening. I've prepared a site on neutral ground I believe to be safe from outside observers. There I wish to discuss an end to the hostility. And an end to the fear of being mulched." Ilpholin pauses for a moment to let that sink in.

"I'd discuss it with Marianne, but she's been locked away for insanity. Melody would be unlikely to be responsive given our extremely poor interaction last we met. And everything I've heard about Euphoria suggests she would kill first, not ask questions, and then kill again. Leaving you as my only option. If you would be willing just to come and talk, I can offer this as a gesture of goodwill for you to take with you, no strings attached."

Exstacy will get a ping suggesting she got another text. When she looks, she'll see a picture of letters. Several letters, tied up carefully in a bundle after being painstakingly cleaned of any grave dirt they landed on. All of the fanmail Deathkiss has gotten over the years and Melody's most prized possession. Stacy could get them back.
► SHOW SPOILER
Mee
Just A Fox

Post by Mee »

Terumitsu wrote: Nov 06, 2023 2:05 am [Sparkling Signage]

"Beautiful like me? And here I had you in mind when I was describing the design!" Alva responded, catching Sally in that tight hug and picking her up to turn that momentum into a little twirl. The regulars of this café were probably by now quite used to just how saccharine these two could be on a near daily basis. "Glad that you like it!" she hummed, holding on for just a little longer before she would let Sally get back to things. Sure, she could hug Sally any time but somehow that didn't dilute the joy of it. And besides, moments like this were always best shared!
[Loving Logos]

Sally is picked up, and giggles happily, hugging her wife tightly as her hair spun and flew freely behind her in that little spin. "I love iiiiit~ So so much! It came out so well!!" She continued to hold that hug for a bit, before, with a happy little hum, did eventually let Alva go.
"Thank you~"
Morty wrote: Nov 06, 2023 11:53 pm [A Hungover Sidereal]

Hiep does seem to show remarkable resilience to the drink, for a woman her size. Maybe it's just experience.

"No, I'm going to finish it. In the hope it makes my head feel less like it's filled with warm wool. But I won't mind something sweeter to wash it down with."
[A Hungover Sidereal]

"Sounds great. Good luck finishing it." It sounds like she means that genuinely. That drink is rough. "I will hope for you that it removes the wool, and that that's *all* it does.
I'll get you some cocoa make. Is regular milk all right?"
Ber'ri asks, holding the tray she had brought the drink out on against herself, smiling slightly down at Hiep. She's been in . . . similar feelings herself, and was happy she could at least *try* to help her out.
Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 07, 2023 12:34 am [Double Dragons]

Ambrosia tilts her head. Stuck in doorways? She could see that. Though she could scarcely imagine moving around with such enormous weights on her chest. At least not while handling a sword at the same time. Sally didn't seem to have any trouble though. "That's convenient at least. But I suspect many dragons would at least relate to you regarding getting stuck in things clearly not meant for their size." Though usually they were in dragon form for that, not the other way around. "But otherwise I take it you enjoy this new form? Perhaps you could describe what you like about it the most."
[Double Dragons]

Sally seems quite skilled at just . . . ignoring the enormous weights that she carries around with her. Somehow. "Yeah! I could see that! Dragons are usually kinda big huh? And a lot of buildings'n stuff are usually like . . . human size.
I know I've bonked my head *several* times."
Sally admits with a deep, deep blush. "o-o-on like door frames and things!" She feels the need to clarify, her blush *not* going away.

"But y-yeah! I enjoy it a lot!
. . . Though hmmm. What do I like *most*?"
She has to pause to think. To put her chin in her hand. To nibble and roll at her lower lip. To frown in thought, before saying- "Thumbs. So much *stuff* is so hard to use as a little dragon! And thumbs helps fix that so so much!
Also I love having arms. It's . . . It's harder to hug somebody without arms.
And I love giving hugs"
She admits, a little shy. "It . . . it makes me happy. It makes the person that gets hugged happy! So I actually think that *that* . .. *that* is what I like the most.
Being able to give hugs.
And making coffee for people is nice too! But . . . but hugs are *great*~!"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Hungover Sidereal]

Hiep... keeps drinking Ber'ri's heavy-duty mixture. She does grimace, but it's still clear she has remarkable constitution and an iron-cast stomach.

"I don't handle milk very well. We didn't drink it where I came from. But... is there any other kind?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Double Dragons]

Dragons were well-known for their ability to ignore gravity and other laws of physics so Ambrosia wasn't going to question how Sally got around so easily. Not counting doorways or even tighter gaps of course.

"Door frames tend to be made for smaller people, even in the nexus." Ambrosia agrees, in contrast the only doorways she'd have trouble fit into would be ones made for small vanara.
"But I don't think you'll be surprised to hear that a lot of dragons agree with you on hands. However, some dragons actually do have hands better suited for manipulation of finer things." Not her though, or Sally apparently. "Hugs though? Not as common an answer." The scholar smiles faintly.

"But what made you work here then? I know that a lot of other dragons has an arrogant attitude that makes them believe that its beneath them to serve others."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 09, 2023 6:38 am "... Yeah, expecting a demon in a rebellious band group to follow instructions well. That one. That one's on me." The nymph appears to have noticed the difference. Her ears are well trained.

Regardless, Ilpholin continues after a short sigh. "The kind of deal whose details are important enough that even if you hadn't done that, I couldn't share them fully over the phone. There's more than whomever you're sitting with watching and listening. I've prepared a site on neutral ground I believe to be safe from outside observers. There I wish to discuss an end to the hostility. And an end to the fear of being mulched." Ilpholin pauses for a moment to let that sink in.

"I'd discuss it with Marianne, but she's been locked away for insanity. Melody would be unlikely to be responsive given our extremely poor interaction last we met. And everything I've heard about Euphoria suggests she would kill first, not ask questions, and then kill again. Leaving you as my only option. If you would be willing just to come and talk, I can offer this as a gesture of goodwill for you to take with you, no strings attached."

Exstacy will get a ping suggesting she got another text. When she looks, she'll see a picture of letters. Several letters, tied up carefully in a bundle after being painstakingly cleaned of any grave dirt they landed on. All of the fanmail Deathkiss has gotten over the years and Melody's most prized possession. Stacy could get them back.
"...And why should we believe you?"

Exstacy glances over toward Melody as the angel decides to drop the pretense and get right to the heart of the matter. "You took those letters off my corpse. After you said all those awful things to me and stabbed me to death. You killed Manny the same way, pretending to be someone you weren't and shiving her as soon as her guard was down. Oh, yeah, while she was protecting you." Melody glares at the phone, as though expecting Ilpholin to be able to feel her gaze through it. "You're a lying bitch and I don't buy this idea that you grew a conscience and just want to return my personal effects to the girl who's most likely next on your hit list. Those letters are not worth my best friend's life; fuck off!"

Exstacy stares wide-eyed at her companion for a moment. "Holy shit... where did that come from?"

"I've been taking some anger management classes."

"That's managed?!"

"Compared to shoving it deep down where it can fester as anxiety and an eating disorder, yeah."

"Girls." Euphoria chides curtly, glancing at the phone, to bring them back to the matter at hand.

"...Right." Exstacy clears her throat. "...The, um... long and short of that is, um... there's... not a lot of good faith here, lady. How do I know you're not going to be trying to kill me?"

"What the hell? There's no way this is legit, Stacy! Don't be stupid!"

"Bit late for that, Mel. Besides... it didn't sound like the letters were really the point..."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Hamburger Helper]

A black fox comes running into the Garnet, slipping through the door and scampering behind whatever happens to be both close and large enough for a fox to hide behind. It's important to note that this is definitely not the USUAL black fox that is in the Garnet. The difference should be quite clear, given that the end of THIS fox' tail is like a blot of liquid darkness shot through with shadowy purple and midnight indigo rather than an icy shade of blue. Definitely totally and without question a completely different and wholly unrelated fox.

Also?

This fox is carrying a burger in her mouth.

Just catching a glimpse of this burg' might bring tears to the onlooker's eyes, as it is likely the most immaculately delicious looking burger they have ever seen. As if it were the Platonic Ideal of the perfect burger.

Should anyone make eye contact with the fox, she'll hold a single digit of her uncannily human-like front paws up to her nose in a 'sshh' gesture.

And then, precisely seven seconds after the fox has hidden, an unnerving figure follows. A man dressed in a black cloak with a yellow interior, a domino mask somehow rendering the features of his face utterly unrecognizable. He moves with a terrible purpose, his every step heralding fury and ruination. "WHERE IS SHE?! That FOX stole my burger! I know she's in here. WHERE!?"

The fox hides.

Still and silent.
Terumitsu
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Terumitsu »

Mee wrote: Nov 14, 2023 4:28 am [Loving Logos]

Sally is picked up, and giggles happily, hugging her wife tightly as her hair spun and flew freely behind her in that little spin. "I love iiiiit~ So so much! It came out so well!!" She continued to hold that hug for a bit, before, with a happy little hum, did eventually let Alva go.
"Thank you~"
The hug might go on a little long to onlookers but Alva hardly cared. Sally did love hugs and goodness was Alva more than happy to provide! But more than that, she lived for these little moments where Sally's silly little grin became brighter than the sun for her. And so she shared in that happy hum with a gentle sway for just a bit more... "And thank you~!" she replied, mirroring that grin right back. And just as she was finally letting Sally go (she had that interview still!) a little commotion about a fox was starting.

[Hamburger Helper]

Alva just had to take a single look at the little black fox and immediately grin and give a wink before grabbing a tray and moving to intercept this newcomer. "Oh? Well I don't think I've been in the thieving business for a while but one could call me quite the Fox, in however many entendres you want to use there." she said in a soft, more calming tone than the rather irate staccato of accusations. "Though this fox prefers to serve at the moment, could I curry a cuppa for you? Bring a brew? Perhaps avail you of an affogato?" she said, gently gesturing to a booth with the rather sparkly, pink-rimmed tray.

Behind, though, one of her tails was gently flicking back and forth, weaving a subtle spell while another more directly tried to get the attention of the other fox to point towards the corner where a decorative pile of bags meant to bring to mind sacks of coffee beans, perfect to hide behind! There was quite a lot of Alva to block the view, after all... And that was even beyond the part of her that drew the most eyes being at eye-level for most! Given her own eye-level was just about par with most doorframes, it was perhaps most surprising that she managed to move around with a grace that belied her stature. Also, seven floofy tails were very good at just being hard to look through.

"We would love to ensure you enjoy your time here so why not take a seat and tell me what I can get you!" she said, trying to misdirect this domino-faced figure and just break the flow of their ire with softly spoken words. She didn't need to know what the fox was up to at all, either. It was an unspoken solidarity for vulpine mischief! ...That burger did look tasty, though.. But not like there weren't a dozen treats and pastries very close by, after all!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Hamburger Helper]

Taking the hint, the fox nimbly scampers behind the stacked sacks. An ideal place for a little burger swiper to lay low until the heat is off.

And speaking of heat...

Have you ever tasted the air right before a storm?

That heavy sense of damp and warmth? The pressure building in the wind? The raw power thrumming above?

That pressing sensation that, at any moment, it could burst and the sky itself would come tumbling down?

Then maybe, just maybe, you might be able to imagine what it feels like standing in the presence of this masked being. There is an impression of narrowed eyes, but one would be unable to place what those eyes look like. Their color, their shape, even whether they were the eyes of a man or beast. The only thing to remember is the fuming rage of a thief that has been out-foxed.

"YOU-" the man, if one ought to call such a being a man, begins. But he cuts himself off. "You aren't the creature who stole from me; you have a Name of your own."

The figure snorts. "I want nothing of your trifles. Now I'll need to begin my work again thanks to that wretched skulking vermin. This must have been another misdirection; she seemed to turn in here but a kumiho wields seeming like a sword."

He straightens himself, still failing to order coffee of any kind. The worst sort of guest.

"If you DID hide the creature then pray that what you hold precious never falls into the hands of another," he rasps before gripping the edge of his cloak and turning to stalk away dramatically.

...a minute passes.

Two.

Then a black-haired fox-girl who rather notably lacks fox ears of any kind pokes her head up from behind the sacks of beans. "Heckin' beans that was close."

An apropos oath, considering where she was hidden.

Standing up to peer out the window, she seems suitably certain her pursuer is gone. She's a teenager by all accounts. Fifteen or so. She's wearing a pair of jean shorts not at all suitable for the weather, a white tank top with 'WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY (hwwaaaaaai!)' emblazoned upon it, and a jean jacket over that. A white cap is keeping her almost humorously voluminous ponytail in a vague semblance of check. A single black fox-tail is clipping through her shorts as if it weren't actually a physical object. If a fox-girl's figure could be the opposite of Alva's, it would be this one. She somehow manages to be plain and unassuming, causing the eye to slide right off her in favor of more interesting things.

Like, say, the paragon of all burgers she's holding. There isn't a bite out of it. Not even a bit of fox slobber seems to have managed to sully it's pristine glory.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 15, 2023 6:37 pm "...And why should we believe you?"

Exstacy glances over toward Melody as the angel decides to drop the pretense and get right to the heart of the matter. "You took those letters off my corpse. After you said all those awful things to me and stabbed me to death. You killed Manny the same way, pretending to be someone you weren't and shiving her as soon as her guard was down. Oh, yeah, while she was protecting you." Melody glares at the phone, as though expecting Ilpholin to be able to feel her gaze through it. "You're a lying bitch and I don't buy this idea that you grew a conscience and just want to return my personal effects to the girl who's most likely next on your hit list. Those letters are not worth my best friend's life; fuck off!"

Exstacy stares wide-eyed at her companion for a moment. "Holy shit... where did that come from?"

"I've been taking some anger management classes."

"That's managed?!"

"Compared to shoving it deep down where it can fester as anxiety and an eating disorder, yeah."

"Girls." Euphoria chides curtly, glancing at the phone, to bring them back to the matter at hand.

"...Right." Exstacy clears her throat. "...The, um... long and short of that is, um... there's... not a lot of good faith here, lady. How do I know you're not going to be trying to kill me?"

"What the hell? There's no way this is legit, Stacy! Don't be stupid!"

"Bit late for that, Mel. Besides... it didn't sound like the letters were really the point..."
"You sound exceptionally lively for a corpse. How's Heaven been treating you? Surely paradise compared to the frigid sea of the Abyss." Ilpholin reveals a little too much. Or perhaps not enough.

"The question is fair at least. The simple fact is, if I were to be trying to kill you, I wouldn't have called. You met Sandy and Old Mrs. Witherspoon. I have a hundred more like it and could create a hundred more in a day. I don't need to contact you to get close enough to do the job. In fact, it would run contrary to such an endeavor, heightening your awareness and making an assassination all the more difficult. Paranoid targets are the most difficult targets. And it's not like you've gone to ground, so deep in hiding that you can't be found and need to be lured out. If I were trying to kill you, this whole song and dance would be worse than a waste of time, it'd be counter-productive." And Ilpholin already hates wasting time.
► SHOW SPOILER
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Mee wrote: Nov 02, 2023 3:54 am Honk Shoo Fwend Orb

"Oh my gosh you study those funny computer coins with animals on them?" Sally that . . . cryptozoologist is not just the word 'crypto' and 'zoologist' together. "But yeah that sounds amazing! Like, since I got here, I've seen things I'd only ever heard about in stories, right? That's gotta be fun!!" She listens a bit more, nodding several times. "It's like, like, like gods right? They exist because we believe in them. Same logic right?"

It's okay Roxanne! Sally doesn't realize you're rambling either! She's having fun!
Honk Shoo Fwend Orb

"No, no, not those." Roxanne protests, briefly holding her head in her wings. How dare her definitely very real and noble profession of studying bigfoot and mothman be compared to such a useless and fraudulent field! Her frustration does not last long though, as it's clear desite her mistake that Sally is enthusiastically interested.

"It's more like... I study magical or mythological creatures," she simplifies it, sure, but that's close enough. "And mhm! It is fun, and- yes! Exactly like that. I mean I'm still not sure, but- some things don't make sense to me otherwise. And this whole line of work has got me wondering about, how this even works because... some of these things shouldn't exist! But they do! And that got me thinking, like, how do all these weird creatures and all us weird people even come together and work in the same universe!? Like, I don't understand the physics of it at all! But I will! One day! But like, a cryptid's whole thing is being hard to find, let alone study, so it's not easy!" Roxanne continues to ramble, unaware if anything she's saying is at all understandable or not.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.