The Temple of Inari

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: [Inside] The Temple of Inari

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

"Oh, you mean you want to go to this other place and make a few cuts? Sure. Eclipse hasn't been out for an exercise like that in quite a while." Really he hasn't used Eclipse for much in a long time. But the sword was forged as a weapon to protect, and so in theory the longer it remains sheathed the more its purpose is already being fulfilled.
"How big a chunk did you have in mind?" Because as they are now they aren't particularly adept at heavy lifting. They'd need a wagon for any large piece of ice.
Or just let Steven carry it in his dragon form but that wouldn't necessarily have a good look.

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Fond Farewell]

Khannie looks at least vaguely offended at being described as a kangaroo-thing. She doesn't argue against it. Mostly because she knows that, yes, a kangaskhan is at least sort of like a kangaroo. It's right there in the name. But being compared to an animal still isn't something she's fond of.

"He said he could change the past, too," she says, looking somewhere between thoughtful and horrified. "Change continuity. Make it so I was ALWAYS a human girl. But then I started thinking about what changing the past might do and... that sounded like it could be bad. So I just wished to be made human."

She looks down at her hands, flexing her fingers a little.

"I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the magical girl thing. There's this lady at Glog, Sekhmet? She figured out how to put a girl's soul back into a body after they turn into a Witch. So... I was thinking... Maybe I should do the Witch thing on purpose somewhere that's safe. And keep my body somewhere nearby that's safe. And then get my soul repaired and put back where it's supposed to be? That way I don't have to worry about hurting someone when I go crazy since it'll be contained."
Fenric
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth Sanctuary]

Caroline looks thoughtful

I don't know that we need any one piece to be particularly huge, just a reasonable quantity... I'm sure it would be by weight.

The priest helpfully chimes in

It weighs the same amount as normal ice.

Caroline nods

So I would say two standard bags of ice, 80 pounds total, one for each of us to carry. In as big of chunks as are reasonable for two sacks.

----

[Fond Farewell]

Keiko shrugs

Where I'm from, your past isn't something that can be changed... so even if he had done that for you I bet it wouldn't matter for me 'cause the Nexus "everything is true" does tend to be personal. But I'm glad you didn't 'cause I've seen enough movies and stuff where they mess with the past and it just never ends well.

Then she winces

That doesn't sound safe... but the whole thing doesn't sound safe so I guess it's not really a change. There's only one guy I know who's messed with that sort of thing at all and he's not here and that's not a bad thing if you ask me even if he is supposed to be on our side. I kinda remember Sekhmet - she came here and visisted Dad a while back. She seemed nice enough.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth Sanctuary

"A forty pound sack is a decently heavy sack, but fair enough." That's probably somewhere between 25 and 30 percent of Steven's body weight.
Being actually a dragon makes his strength while shapeshifted a little wonky. And if necessary he can carry the sacks himself and drop them in the circle before making himself presentable.

Though really it sounds like the dwarves aren't very fond of vulpans anyway unless they consider calling them elfy-foxes a term of endearment.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth Sanctuary]

Caroline, as usual, doesn't really have a tremendous concept of how heavy things really are given the wide variety of people who will come and take heavy things so she doesn't have to carry them.

Um... well... as heavy as we can reasonably manage anyway. It's not like we're bringing a scale with us. Now, let's see where we should go!

With that, she starts casting another quick divination spell seeking guidance. The priest tilts his head in confusion but doesn't question her choice of methods.

And no... the dwarves don't particularly care for the Vulpans and being called "elfy" is solidly an insult.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fond Farewell]

"I've watched Back to the Future before so if that's what happens when you try to change the past I would have been in trouble. And what about all the stuff that happened to me? Pokemon are WAY more tough than humans are. I got smacked around a few times when I was a pokemon that probably would have killed me if I was human. What if those things still happened and I was just dead instead?"

That wouldn't have been great for anyone.

Thankfully a pointy dog reminded her of those adventures and she changed her wish.

Then the girl frowns. "No, it doesn't seem safe. Nothing about being a magical girl is safe. This would just be a little less NOT safe? If my Witch is in the circle than she wouldn't be able to get out, right? She wouldn't be able to hurt anyone until I get fixed."

Khannie gives a little huff.

"I was trying to find a way to stop being a magical girl WITHOUT bewitching happening, but Kyubie was going to screw up whatever I tried. He gets his payout when we turn into witches. So I figured if there's a way to get us back from that then he still gets his due and leaves us alone."
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Fond Farewell]

Keiko's eyes glow more brightly while narrowing and anger, her ears fold back and her nose goes all wrinkly and her fangs show. He tail swishes in clear agitation.

Somebody did this to you and thinks they're going to get paid for it?!?! The only pay they deserve is a painful and messy end! Who is this "Kyubie" and why shouldn't I go eat them?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fond Farewell]

"He's this creepy looking white cat fox thing about yay high," Khannie replies, gesturing with one hand to show how big the evil little butt-gremlin is. "I don't think anyone's figure out what he is exactly. Me and the other magical girls have tried to figure it out. I think the best guess so far is that he's some kind of expendable part of something WAY bigger. There are lots of them. I don't think the one Inside is the same as the one at Skyside or Riverside."

As far as eating goes...

"Some of the girls have killed him before. It doesn't do anything. A new one just pops up and eats whatever's left of the old one and picks up like nothing happened. It isn't even an inconvenience."

A few moments pass as Khannie ponders what to say next.

"According to him he's saving the universe. You know how it is. To make an omelette you have to break a few bright-eyed girls."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth Sanctuary

The question of where to find the ice could probably have been settled with a phone call, but Steven supposes asking via magic is more or less the same thing. "I'll take care of the heavy lifting if the need comes. Just get our compass pointed in the right direction." Steven assures her with a smile.
He glances at the snow priest. Asking to borrow a wheelbarrow would make the most sense, but perhaps the future lesson for Caroline is worth the extra effort.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth Sanctuary]

Phone call... ask the local guy standing right there... but maybe they'll find somewhere interesting? Wheelbarrow... cart... kiddie wagon? All sorts of things would make it easier that she is very used to leaving up to other peope to worry about.

Aha, yes! Of course! We just need to make a nice trip down to the docks.

The priest nods: that is (or at least seems to be) the advice he would have given.

Do you require anything else, your holinesses?

----

[Fond Farewell]

Keiko grumbles grumpily, still looking kinda angry and scary.

Universe doesn't need saving. Stupid stinky jerkface. I really hate people like that. I wonder how many times I could kill them before they stopped being casual about it? Probably not, they'd just be all smarmy about it and eventually stop bothering while I'm standing there.

She is clearly not enjoying the variation on what she's usually told in this sort of situation. She's used to "no, you can't (or shouldn't) do that" occasionally sprkinled with "and here's why." But "You could... It just wouldn't do any good..." is another thing entirely.

Maybe Hoshiko and Michaud are right, though: I'm too quick to try to dispose of opponents. Maybe catching one of these would be better! Sit him halfway through a portal to Negative Energy and see if that gets their attention. Or... wait... what good does turning little girls into witches do anyone? You're not saving anything that way, that's just dumb! If anything, you're making things worse that way not better. I should tip him into Positive Energy! Grr... Stupid "everything is true" place, why can't we just ...

This isn't likely to go anywhere productive anytime soon.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fond Farewell]

Pff.

Scary canid face doesn't scare Khannie.

She was a pokemon AND she's been dealing with crazy witch stuff. Her bar for being intimidated is pretty darn high.

"I don't think he would be smarmy because he doesn't feel smug. He doesn't FEEL anything. I don't think he thinks of people as people. We're just objects to him."

And everyone knows that the rules for objects and the rules for creatures are way different.

But yeah.

Hopelessness and inevitability are big themes when it comes to the evil white fuzzy butt-gremlin.

"When a girl turns into a witch it releases some kind of magic that Kyubei collects. I don't know what sorta magic it is. Like... it isn't the sort of magic I use for my sorcery. They aren't even kind of similar. Using my magical girl magic feels more like I'm just... making things. I imagine something and I can make it real, so long as it has something to do with my magical girl weapon and element. I think the magic Kyubie is getting is that sort of magic, creative sort of magic."
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Fond Farewell]

Keiko closes her eyes and takes a deep breath and gets her face and ears back to normal, then stretches and gives herself a good shake which looks somewhat ridiculous.

The fun with with being able to be in multiple places at the same time is that you can get a magic lecture while being angry at someone who abused your friend all the while cleaning your room because you forgot last week. I don't understand patterning or planar combinations or cross-system interactions or anything else Michaud just said, but it's hard to stay angry when you get all fuddled up and confused.

She sighs and shrugs

I'm always here if you need me, Khannie. I might not understand exactly what is going on when I use my magic, but I'm pretty good at what I do...
Nick Byron
Fresh Baby Poster

Re: The Temple of Inari

Post by Nick Byron »

Fenric wrote: Aug 03, 2022 8:30 pm [Sanctuary]

Caroline looks thoughtful.

I think I would like a nicer home, not just a cave, yes... and I do not know any off the top of my head, no... but surely they would be online and we can search for them? Verise keeps insisting that I get better about such things.

She takes a smartphone out of her pocket and waves it around as she says that.

[Night Sanctuary]

Mei gestures toward the southern exit.

The hospital is out that way and then slightly to the left. It's the only five-story building in the compound so it is rather hard to miss. I must admit that I do not know the night-shift healing staff... being a priestess, I never had a need to visit. There should be a reception desk just inside, and they can direct you further.
Great! I have potential employment.
The jackal-headed man struts out of sight, towards the hospital area.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fenric wrote: Aug 12, 2022 4:52 pm [Winterhearth Sanctuary]

Phone call... ask the local guy standing right there... but maybe they'll find somewhere interesting? Wheelbarrow... cart... kiddie wagon? All sorts of things would make it easier that she is very used to leaving up to other peope to worry about.

Aha, yes! Of course! We just need to make a nice trip down to the docks.

The priest nods: that is (or at least seems to be) the advice he would have given.

Do you require anything else, your holinesses?
Winterhearth Sanctuary

Steven grins but decides to give Caroline a little hint just this once.
"Well I should think we may need to request a sack or two from your storehouse so that we might carry our prospective bounty in time." Or had Caroline been planning on doing that step later?
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth Sanctuary]

Caroline blinks at what should have been an obvious thing to request. The priest nods

Of course, your holiness: right away.

An acolyte is dispatched and soon returns with a pair of heavy canvas bags of the appropriate size. Caroline looks sheepish and her tail droops a little

Thank you darling.

---

[Night Sanctuary -> Night Hospital]

As Mei said, just inside the glass entrance doors is a reception desk where a bored looking, black-furred kitsune with bright green eyes is idly scrolling through Insidegram on her computer. She is not paying attention and does not notice the newcomer arrive.
Last edited by Fenric on Aug 15, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

"No problem, Caroline. One must always consider both the plan and its execution." Steven has a particular way of saying these things in the least judgmental way possible but still like he's giving out advice. But of course, that's a skill one develops when your job is giving people advice.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Caroline chuckles, still clearly embarrassed

Quite right. Let's get started, then. Oh... um...

She looks to the priest

How does one get to the docks from here?

The priest gives the directions, which are really quite simple: this WinterHearth is MUCH smaller than Caroline's home. Caroline bows and thanks him and they are ready to be off.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

Steven gives the priest a friendly wave as they depart.

"No need to look like that, Caroline. You're doing fine. It's just been a very eventful day. Though if you want me to step in when we talk to the dwarves that's fine too." he offers, still clearly in good spirits.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Caroline's ears perk back up and her tail wags slightly

Thanks, Steven

Off they go. Straight down the road leading from the temple which turns out to be the main street through the small but closely built fishing and trading outpost straight to the coast. As the pair walks, they will notice swift figures flying low overhead from time to time that are very difficult to get a good look at.

At the decidedly chilly waterfront, the buildings come to an end and the figures overhead can be seen: winged draconians in very policelike uniforms are patrolling the city in a complex pattern. Caroline chuckles

Well... dragons might not have surprised them after all... Though we might have got the old barb "what kind of dragon are you, that can't fly?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

Steven considers this. He would have assumed draconians would want a warmer climate. Maybe they’re silvers?
”Are they native to your world? I hadn’t heard of them being there before. Not that it matters either way. I’m sure we’ll make a good case for the dwarves.”
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Caroline shakes her head.

My home town is basically nothing like this at all. This place is a LOT smaller, the sea is on the wrong side, and the temple is in the wrong place. The dragons back home are only about as intelligent as dogs, and they don't ever look vaguely like people. I think we should just find somewhere to slip quietly into the water...

She looks around at the busy docks and frowns slightly... because they're BUSY docks. She heads south along the seaside, hoping to find somewhere quieter.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

Steven blinks in surprise.
”Wait, we’re swimming? I thought you said that we were going to use a portal.”
If they’re changing to their aquatic shapes Steven might have to find a way to swap outfits again. He REALLY needs to figure out how to shapeshift clothing.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Caroline's ears tip down again

Oh, no... we'll use the portal to get to the dwarves. We need to swim to a cave that opens underwater to get to the very best ice.

She considers

I can hold your things: the magic Myobi gave me hides everything I'm holding away quite nicely.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

”There’s one so close? Perhaps we should tell the locals afterwards. But ah. That does seem like a decent plan. I’ll just…hand your my robe when we get to the water.”
He’s not exactly going to walk around naked until then.
He can respect Keiko and her choice to do that sometimes but…no. Not unless he’s a dragon.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Caroline tilts her head and looks thoughtful, her tail waving slowly

I don't know how close... I saw how to get to it, and that we could get there easily enough. I don't know how someone who couldn't hold their breath would manage...

Then she nods

That's what I was thinking, too: we find a secluded... or at least sheltered spot, you give me your robe and dive in while shifting, and I'll follow right after.

All this while, they are still walking past the bustling docks. The ships are getting a little smaller and less expensive-looking now that they're a bit away from the prestigious piers near the main street, though. And looking down the line they'll soon be at the fishing boats.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

"Well, that'll have to do. If someone gets a good look at me for a few seconds they're just going to have to deal with it." Steven shrugs as they head into the smaller, less fancy piers. He's not really worried about where they're going. One rarely worries about going into a bad part of town when you're as armed and magical as they are.
He also decides not to question the fact that he sort of has a sense of modesty as a vulpan but has no such thing as a dragon, being a dragon and all.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Walking, walking... random encounter chart says "wildlife" so the seagulls cry overhead which is hardly susprising at all as the Vulpan pair's sensitive noses smell the odors of the fishing boats. Now a "bad smell" to them is like an ugly color to us, but that doesn't make it nice and Caroline wrinkles up her nose and picks up the pace.

Fishing boats, ugh! These smell worse than the pond on a hot day!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

"Honestly it makes me hungry in an odd sort of way." Steven remarks, tail swishing. Probably because he's a marine dragon contained in another form, fish smells don't really bother him.
"If you want we could pick up the pace." he tells her with a grin.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Caroline chuckles, and speeds her steps

I won't argue that there are some nice fresh fishy scents in there... but I won't turn your suggestion down!

Walking past the more ramshackle parts of the docks, the pair gets the occasional glance from unsavory looking people. These, however, promptly turn back to whatever it was they were pretending to do - assaulting a pair of priests is not something any of them are going to be doing. At length, the docks give way to boats merely pulled up on the beach and from one of these a person comes running.

Priests?! Priests! Please, do help! Please please!

A whitish-grey kobold of all things, waving his arms frantically.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

Somehow, Steven is not surprised at all. Something was bound to happen on the way there.
He isn't sure if this culture of kobold would be offended by him bending down or kneeling so he errs on the side of caution and does not.
"What's the trouble, friend?"

Sanctuary

With a rogue gust of wind a lone centaur wanders in to the temple, looking awkward. He's wearing a black scarf and a white dress shirt that looks a bit silly given that he doesn't have pants to tuck it into. The only thing he's wearing below the belt is a satchel from which a flute case hangs. His black hair, black-and-silver coat, and white tail is oddly reminiscent of a black fox. The shadow that trots in place of where his should be is certainly a fox's. And a hawk's. And a buffalo's? They sort of just wander around him.

Mist wonders if they'll recognize him. He almost never wore his human face here for obvious reasons. Though he's been told Inari usually appears as a Japanese lady so really he would have fit in either way. But given his hair used to be brown even that's different for anyone ignoring the whole...horse thing.
Now he just needs to figure out who can set up an appointment...