The Temple of Inari

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Fenric
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: The Temple of Inari

Post by Fenric »

[Shadows]

Caroline nods her agreement

Yes, let's get going! We can formalize this all later, it doesn't matter right this moment.

And so, off they go. True to Keiko's directions, a hill looms out of the darkness as they get closer, and the inky blackness of a jagged cavern can clearly be seen at the base. Nothing else of any particular note occurs and it isn't long before they are in the bitter cold of the material plane again. The two draconians promptly complain about the change from the even "warmth" of the shadows.

Ah! It's so COLD here!
How is it possible for it to be colder here than in my cave?!

---

[School Cafeteria]

Changing to her more recognizable form gets Khannie much better results (and hugs, and gushing over, and smalltalk...). After not too much of a delay, she finds herself at a table with a Delphox in navy-trimmed sky blue robes, a Lucario who does't look particularly dressed at all, a Braxien dressed as any little girl might be, and a pair of Fennekin. Delphie introduces her family

Nice to meet you! I'm Delphie. This is my husband Ralf, my daughters Marigold and Chrysanthemum who prefer to be called Mari and Chrys, and my son Stephan.

one of the fennekin groans

Mom, please.... Steve! Nobody calls me "Stephan"

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[School Cafeteria]

It's still pretty cool getting to see her old teachers again. Khannie definitely doesn't mind. Though the 'look how big you've gotten!'s ARE a little irritating. But she's pretty sure she'll survive the ordeal. Anyway! That gets Khannie to her objective and SEVERAL hugs so it all works out pretty okay. She does her best to remain cool and aloof and complain about the attention to a socially acceptable degree.

Anywho!

More foxes.

"Hey," Khannie retorts, giving a little wave by way of reply. "I'm Khannie Vallarm, I just ended my last year of school here in summer. Keiko said I should talk to you since you know more about pokemon stuff that she does, especially casting wizard spells with your ears and tail and stuff. Oh, uh, that probably doesn't make a lotta sense why that would be important one sec-"

Then she dismisses her disguise, allowing the illusion to unravel around her revealing the ghostly zoroark under it. The clothing she was wearing is, however, real. Her mess of phantom tails clip right through her outfit as if it weren't there at all. She opens and closes her mouth a few times, bobbing her head in beat to the get the cadence right. As usual, it'll be pretty clear that she's casting ghost sounds to speak rather than just talking.

"I had made this wish to be a REAL human like my dad, right? But that was a dumb plan and a buncha stuff happened so now I'm a pokemon again."

She sounds pretty annoyed regarding her current being a pokemon state.

"But I've gotta make do, right?"
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Shadows

"That's probably just the wind chill. Come now, let's hurry up. Keiko said we should only be a short distance from the city again."
Steven produces a flame that will actually produce heat for them. Especially since he has to get out of his cold-adapted form and into his fox shape before they arrive at the city. But still it shouldn't be a terribly long walk. And then they just need to find the dwarf stronghold.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth Road]

As Keiko said, they're pretty close to a mile off: the city is clearly visible in the distance. The cold wind proving Steven's explanation quite correct.

Caroline shifts back to her Vulpan form and holds Steven's robes and equipment out to him: shielding him from the view of the two draconians, not that they're actually looking at him.

Here you are, darling.

----

[Cafeteria]

Delphie and her family blink in surprise

You're a ... Zoroark? Sort of? Well... that explains why you'd want to talk to me especially.

She looks at her husband

Why don't you take the children home, dear? This might take a little while.

The lucario nods and ushers the rest of small family away. Delphie turns

Well, as you have hinted at, there are variations of spells that use ears and tails in many cases in place of speaking. The ones that I use were derived from the Vulpan's spells as they also use them. Now given you have multiple tails, you will be best served by Kitsune magic, but obviously you can learn single-tail versions easily enough.

Then she tilts her head

But... you seem familiar enough with magic: why are you using this illusion basis for speaking?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth Road

Steven has mastered quick costume changes at this point.
"Thank you. Let's get a move on before we all freeze." He'll have to make sure his flame is extra big. Still, they're all somewhat athletic so if they're willing to hustle they should be able to run a mile in under half an hour. He would suggest they run at least a little. It's cold.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

"Sort of. Regional variants are confusing," Khannie admits.

It's true.

They ARE kind of odd.

Then she offers a wave to the departing foxes because that just seems like a polite thing to do before turning her attention to Delphie. Alright! Down to business.

"Yeah, there's a whole mess of them back there," Khannie admits, looking over her shoulder to glare at said mess of tails. "They're such a pain. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with them all."

She definitely doesn't envy the Ninetails. Not even a little bit.

"But yeah! I do a bit of wizardry and casting while I'm ALSO concentrating on my illusions is tricky. I think I can figure it out eventually BUT I wanna learn how to use my spells when I'm NOT disguised, too. That seems like a good idea," Khannie explains. At the question Khannie's ears droop slightly. "Oh, that's pretty easy to explain. My mouth and throat and stuff are the wrong shape I can only make (zoroark noises)."
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

The road is well travelled and well patrolled, so there is nothing more of interest that happens on the way back to the city. The guards at the gate nod respectfully to clerics: even though they may not know the meanings of the color and trim Steven and Caroline are dressed in, they recognize the holy symbols well enough.

And so after a bit over an hour they are back once again in the temple, in front of a magic circle that leads to the Temple of Malukhar in the Dwarven fortress. Zareck hasn't seemed very impressed by the whole thing but possibly-Vesprea has been gawking like a tourist the whole time.

The priest on duty smiles as they entered. It's not the same person, though he bears close resemblance.

Ah, welcome! My colleague's shift ended a short time back, but I was informed that you would be arriving. I trust all went well?

---

[Cafeteria]

The delphox shakes her head

No... I mean...

Delphie concentrates a bit, willing the Nexus' automatic translation to leave her alone for a time. When next she speaks, it doesn't sound like any human language Khannie has ever heard. Some of the sounds are well above the range of human hearing, and others would be very challenging without a muzzle: the language of the red-fox vulpans without the assistance of magical translation.

Squeak-whine yip. Yrr squeaaak whine whinee yip-rr. Rrr-yi yip whine rrr squeak sqeak-rr whine yip.

A brief pause while she lets things return to "normal"

You should surely be able to speak the fox language? Though I suppose it is possible you might have to learn it the "hard" way, as it were, in order to cast spells.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

Oh hey those are some fox noises.

"Huh... I've heard Mrs Richards try talking in a language called 'English' before. Her accent is really bad. I don't really think about the Nexus translating thing... I wonder why it doesn't work with all pokemon-talk?"

That's a mystery for another day, maybe.

But for now it is time to focus on fox noises.

Some of them sound kind of like the zoroark sounds Khannie can make. Others she isn't so sure of. Honestly she hasn't experimented much with it since most of the sounds in her range consist of horrible screaming. And she really doesn't want to subject people to that sort of thing if she can avoid it. The noises are just so utterly inhuman that she really hasn't bothered with trying to figure them out at all.

"I think I can do the magic words with ghost sounds okay," Khannie replies. "They're so easy I don't have to really even think about doing it. But it's the hand-motions I really need help with. Or tail motions I guess."

She holds up her paws with their gigantic claws by way of visual aid. She actually HAS thumbs thanks to a gene-mod her dad got for her years ago. But those stupidly big claws really get in the way. Khannie is honestly considering just getting them filed down until they're more manageable. She LIKES being able to pick up small objects.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

"Ah, yes. Everything went quite well. Though we did pick up a few people as well as the ice we were looking for. Anyway, I suppose there's nothing more to do than finally go and parley with the dwarves."
Unless he's forgetting something.
He's wondering if they should just drop the act and go as dragons. They're asking for a dragon lair after all.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth]

Cricle's not big enough for dragons. In fact, the four of them with the cargo is going to need some careful packing as it is.

Caroline nods and moves over to the circle inlaid in the floor.

Yes, let's get started! We all need to be completely inside the circle - mind your tails, you two.

---

[Cafeteria]

The delphox cleric shrugs

I'm not sure how well fox spells will work with human words, to be honest, but I guess that's the sort of thing you'll need to figure out on your own.

Then claws! Delphie chuckles

Indeed, those could use some filing! Allright... so... if you stand back up and turn around: move your tails as well as you can - I've been assuming you're like me and have the range of motion of a dog or fox rather than say, a cat. But lets' see what you can actually do.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Winterhearth

Steven crams himself into the circle with the other passengers.
"You have used these more than I have. So given that this is our friends' first time I say you should work it this time."
An inexperienced circle-caster might give the passengers some upset stomachs and that's the last thing they need right before a negotiation.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

Khannie nods before turning and peering over her shoulder to get a look at what her tails are up to. They definitely have more range of motion than a dog's tail, given the way they twist and writhe. The ruddy fur at the ends flows more like fog or mist than a physical thing. Very ghostly.

Which...

Makes sense.

Honestly.

Thanks for making Khannie all weird, ghost-type.

"I can do more than just wagging them," Khannie admits. "It feels like moving fingers around, kind of. But I'm no sure great at controlling them all yet? I've gotten better, though."

A beat.

"Oh, yeah. I was a little kangaskhan before I made my wish. Then some fox stuff happened after the wish broke. It's a long, dumb story."

That involves fox tails.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Winterhearth -> Temple of Malukhar]

Applying a Lesser Miracle to provide the necessary input to the circle is all it takes, which Caroline does without further ado.

And suddenly, it is rather wamer, considerably darker, and decidedly underground. A rather surprised looking dwarf in cleric's robes with a small smith's hammer around his neck by way of a holy symbol.

'eere now! Has been sommat time since last any of ye foxes be visitin' us. Can I be helpin' ye?

Caroline seems to be feeling the effects of the spell a little more than usual for some reason and is a little wobbly, so she doesn't immediately answer.

---

[Cafeteria

Delphie nods

Well, no worry about range of motion there! I dodn't see any reason you shouldn't be able to learn to cast spells like I do. I would expect you can pick up Kitsune magic well enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could even learn Neko spells, but there's no one here to teach you - you'd need to find one somewhere.

She listens

Oh my... but that's the sort of thing that happens here in the Nexus, isn't it? Could have been worse, though: at least you didn't turn into an Eevee!

Then she grins

Ha! Khannie the kangaskhan! Sometimes it's nice to meet someone else.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Temple of Malukhar

Well, that was a warmer welcome than he had dared hope for.
"Greetings, my friend. My wife and I come to you to seek the work of your famous artisans for a project. Do you know if your stonemasons are available for contracting?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

"They're weirdly wiggly," Khannie comments, still eyeing the mess of tails suspiciously. It's the sort of look you usually see a cat giving their tail shortly before attacking it and then running through the house at high speed.

"I always sorta hoped that the Nexus weird would work in my favor and make me human and I guess it sorta did cuz of the wish but that turned out to be a dumb idea," Khannie huffs. "So I just gotta get use to pokemon stuff again. This is probably better than getting stuck as a kangaskhan hitting puberty so I guess I've got something to be thankful for this Thanksmas."

Sounds like 'Khannie the kangaskhan' isn't too enthusiastic about that identity. "Yeah my uncle named me. Everyone at the village just called me Kangaskhan which always felt gross to me. I'm glad I got rescued from that awful place."
Last edited by Rebonack on Nov 01, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Temple of Malukhar]

The cleric looks to Steven and appears about to say something but abruptly pauses and seems to listen intently. Then he breaks into a huge grin.

Of all tha strange tales I ever did be hearin', ye have tha strangest. But be knowin tha yer wife thar be high in m'Laird's favor on several counts now. Wha manner of pay ha' brought?

Caroline seems to have mostly recovered now

Blue heart-ice from where the glacier meets the living rock.

The cleric looks impressed now

Well-earned be yer reputation thar, says I! Very well. I be givin ye a token, by which tha guild'll be knowin' ye fer having ta Laird's favor. Enter ye into tha city and be askin' fer tha stoneworker's guild hall, ye'll have na troulbe ta be findin it.

He holds out a small golden hammer on a chain to Steven. It tingles with unfamiliar magic.

----

[Cafeteria]

Delphie looks sympathetic

I understand... my daughter was less than pleased to learn that having a stick in her tail was not a fashion statement that she could just ignore. Granted, that's rather less of an inconvenience that you would have endured, but everyone's troubles are trouble for them.

Then she smiles

But I think we have settled on your options: if you wish to re-enroll here for part-time classes in continuing education in the Kitsune magic department, they can help you with casting using your tails. But if you wish to truly employ them to their fullest, then I think that you will need to find a cat to teach you.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

That has always seemed weird to Khannie. Pokemon with props specifically. They just always have one. Or find them. Or whatever. Honestly very little about pokemon makes even a little bit of sense. She's mostly learned to roll with it but every now and again something catches her off guard. Why CAN'T Delphie's daughter just pull the stick out and toss it on the ground if she doesn't want it stuffed in her giant poofy tail?

Truly the world is full of mysteries.

"I can come by for night classes," Khannie suggests with a nod. "I know Keiko would be glad to see me more often. I don't know any cats with a ton of tails that cast magic, though."

Does such a thing even exist?

...probably a dumb question.

This IS the Nexus after all.

It has several famous cats but none with a ton of magical tails in so far as Khannie is aware.

Khannie almost leaves the conversation there, but there's another question bugging her. "Do you... know much about ghost-types? Like, am I actually alive or not?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Temple of Malukhar

Steven glances at Caroline. She'd mentioned Malukhar had appeared once or twice in the Temple's history but didn't realize she'd been there to meet him. And often enough to gain favor with him.
Well, not going to question it. Steven takes the trinket.
"I thank you, my friend."
Off to the city! Presumably they just need to look for a set of grand and fancy doors as that should be the main entrance.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Dwarven City]

The temple is hardly remote: the moment they go through the doors they are out in the bustle and sound of an underground dwarven city that is very much alive and well. It's probably a little unsettling for the relatively short Vulpans to suddenly be more than a head taller than basically everyone else.

Caroline remains quiet until they are well out on the street.

I have no idea what that man was talking about.

She begins to look around for a guard or someone official-looking to ask directions from.

---

[Cafeteria]

Delphie smiles

Let me ask you a question in turn, then: is Lady Keiko alive or not? I would call all of the Shadows "ghost type" personally - it's the only thing that describes them. "ghost" doesn't literally mean the sprirts of dead humans, it is an attempt to describe some of the sailent points of your abilities and nature without spending half an hour describing it all.

Or another example: Everyone calls the Vulpans "foxes" - even their name means "fox people" in the language of the Grey Elves of their world. My type - Delphox - ends with a whimsical spelling of that animal's name, and yours begins with the Spanish word for fox. And yet none of us is really a smelly little creature that plagues chicken farmers. All of these are "fox" type, and everyone understands some basic features without needing additional explanation.

And that brings us to your teachers. If you were to try to categorize the Kitsune more the way we do and yet keep their best description... we could well call them fox/ghost type! And yet each and every one of them is just as alive as we are.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

Hmm.

Khannie considers all of that thoughtfully.

She didn't know the part about 'zoro'. That's probably a fun little bit of information to file away. Wasn't there a masked hero named Zoro who had a fancy hat? She seems to recall a TV or movie or something? And from one of her uncle's weird cartoons, too. Apparently 'fox' is a popular name for swordsman.

But to the question.

Is Keiko alive?

What about the shadows she makes?

They definitely seem pretty ghosty. But does ghosty always mean dead?

Delphie doesn't seem to think so. Are they all foxes? Well... kind of? They're definitely recognizable as the same sorta thing. Vaguely. Kind of. It says 'baneful fox pokemon' right in her pokedex entry, though she really isn't sure how accurate that actually is. Pokedex entries say some really weird stuff sometimes.

"I sill eat stuff. And I don't feel like I HAVE to sleep but I still do sometimes," Khannie says, touching a paw to her chest. "I feel really still on the inside, though. Like there's no blood gooshing through me all the time and things. When I get whacked really hard I just kinda... pop. Like I'm made of mist that can come back together again. That's a pretty ghosty thing, right?"

Definitely seems ghosty to her.

"But I don't feel like scaring people. Or being all angry and vengeful. I've run into some real ghosts before and it's like they're aren't all there? Like you're not really talking to much of a person."

A beat.

"Maybe I should find some other smart Ghost-type pokemon and ask what they think?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dwarven City

Steven finds it quite refreshing. He hasn't been humanoid and tall since before he met Caroline.
"Do you mean in general, or the part about his god favoring you?"
Malukhar is certainly powerful enough that he is rather surprised that he took notice of anyone here he hasn't personally appeared before.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Dwarven City]

Caroline shakes her head

Why Malukhar would think anything in particular of me, and "on several counts"?!? I know Frederick helped out at one point, but as a relative he is an exceedingly distant one to say the least. I truly don't understand... but at least it's not understanding why I have his favor and not the other way around...

A guard is not so difficult to find, and the group is soon standing in front of the massive doors of the stonemason's guild. Even in this remote outpost, the craftsmanship is astounding. Zareck blinks

That's ... something else ... I can feel the work that went into this just looking at it. And it's proper Enchantment, too: not just a bunch of permanent spells slapped together.

----

[Cafeteria]

Delphie nods

The undead monsters colloquially called "ghosts" are not actually people at all - they are beings of the Plane of Negative Energy who took the imprint of a deceased mortal and are using it with the ultimate goal of feeding on the energy of the living.

Unfortunately, some of that does sometimes apply to ghost-type pokemon as well... consider the Chandelure, for instance.

Then she nods

That may very well be your best option. Of course, you first have to find one, and I must admit I do not know of any who would be conversational.

The chandelure in the mirror temple was sadly not "intelligent" and so not particularly useful for this discussion even ignoring how bad of an idea going there is.
Last edited by Fenric on Nov 17, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dwarven City

Steven shrugs. "Perhaps he simply keeps track of this place more than other worlds, as Inari does."
He considers the doors at Zareck's comment. So the dwarves augment their work with enchantment? He wasn't sure if they would rely on magic in addition to doing things the old fashion way.

Steven looks for a way to knock. He's not sure it would be proper for him to open the doors himself even if he could.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

Okay now Khannie looks REALLY puzzled.

A confused zoroark is truly a sight to behold.

"Wait, really?" Khannie says, her expression one of bewilderment. "There must be different sorts because the ones at Glog has never tried to eat anyone."

That Khannie is aware of, anyway.

But then again maybe the wards on Glog prevent them from being harmful? Khannie is pretty sure if she went off the spooky feral deep end and tried eating one of the kids at Glog she would just straight up be totally incapable of doing so. Not that she thinks anything like that would ever happen EVER. She loves the kids at Glog! Even the annoying ones.

"I read a bunch of pokedex entries on ghost-types and even though I'm pretty sure those are just made up by dumb kids lots of 'em still talk about ghost-types needing to eat life energy or whatever,"
Khannie muses. "Maybe... that's what I'm hungry for? I can tell I'm hungry for something besides regular food but I dunno what it is."

If they have any live mice in the cafeteria that's something that could be tested.
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Stonemason Guild]

Caroline also shrugs - things here are always at least a little weird, it's best to just roll with it.

A segment of the heavily-enchanted door to the right opens as Steven approaches to knock: the door apparently knowing their intent to be "customers". Once inside, the lobby is just as magnificent as the doors. From the intricately inlaid polished floor to the heavily-carved columns up to the soaring vaulted ceiling - it's a breathtaking tapestry of stone, gold, and precious gems.

This cathedral to craft is a minor outpost ?!?!

Zareck's outburst draws chuckles from around the room

Thank'ee kindly, lad!

So then, here be a sight make nae mistake:. two of ye dragonfolk in ta company o' two elfy-foxes. What be bringin' ye to us today, then?

----

[Cafeteria]

Delphie shrugs

This is the Nexus, so the are without any doubt more than one sort of "ghost". But mortal souls are in rather ... high demand ... and I find it very unlikely that they can escape their "owners" just because they had left something nebulous "undone" during their life. That would be quite the loophole to escape the consequences of selling your soul to the devils, wouldn't it? Powerful magic or other effects could doubtess trap someone, but I would expect that any freeing of them from that would instantly send them... wherever they are meant to go.

then she nods

It certainly is a possibility that you require or could at least consume life energy. And given your newness to this whole process it would be better if you expiremented on somethig minor. And for that, I would think that one the many chickens on their way to the kitchen each day would provide an easy opportunity to test that theory.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

Khannie tries to avoid letting her eyes glaze over as talk of souls and contracts and things begin flying around. She had made a soul contract thing with Kyubie, right? And they managed to break THAT. So it must be possible.

...right?

She just chalks it up to the Nexus being very strange.

"Okay so... you're saying now that I'm a fox I should go raid the hen-house?" Khannie replies, doing her best to keep the amusement out of her tone.

She...

Mostly succeeds.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Stonemason's Guild

Steven steps forward, presenting the favor he was given.
"My wife and I wish to commission your artisanal services. For a project big enough for a dragon." he grins. "Or two, in this case."
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

[Cafeteria]

Delphie laughs

In a way, yes. Though you wont find it much of a raid - the shadowfolk here often use the morning delivery to sate their hunger or practice their abilities: you'll have to get in line.

---

[Stonemason's Guild]

The dwarf takes the small hammer

Na here be sommat I'd nae be belevin' ifn I had been told rather than seen wi' me own eyes. Well, ye be having me undivided attention, make na mistake! Come now to ta consultin' room, and we can be discussin' ta details!

With that, he leads the group to a small but still impressive conference room.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Stonemason's Guild

Steven follows the dwarf to the conference room.
"Thank you. My name is Steven Primerra, and this is Caroline, my wife." His attendants can introduce themselves if they want to.
"Not to continue the charade much longer, but I am a dragon. And we'd like a place big enough for a dragon but still with our smaller servants in mind, in a location suitable for our needs. There are natural formations of course, but I felt that your people's work far surpasses what we could find even with years of looking."
He will allow Caroline to choose if she wishes to make it clear she is also a dragon. Especially since he isn't actually sure if she is or it's simply another form added to her repertoire to her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cafeteria]

Okay!

Well, this is pretty straight forward.

If silly.

Khannie definitely feels weird about the idea of eating a live chicken. Or... sucking its life out. Or whatever weird thing she does.

Ugh.

Why do pokemon have to be so creepy? ESPECIALLY ghost types.

"So... where's this loading spot for the chickens at? Should I just walk over there by myself or...?" she asks hesitantly. Khannie has no idea what she's doing and having someone else there to explain why this apparently unknown fox wants to gnaw on some chickens might be nice.