HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

"Sure. Makes sense to me," Reinholdt says, not terribly bothered by it, though his explanation of Seraphina's behavior has just evaporated.

"Here though, we just use the word people for that. It's the same concept really. It's really just a language thing. So you don't get in trouble though, humans in the Nexus are all 5'5" with rounded ears, uninteresting hair, no tails, and boring eyes. If you see someone and think 'that's bland', it's probably a human." It's important to understand the difference between a human and someone exciting. "That's why so many Nexus people are offended by it."

Reinholdt shakes his head. People undervalue a boring life.

Hopefully Seraphina doesn't get too used to the floor as Maria returns shortly, carrying three books, reading one of them. She also appears to have gathered an open purse full of ritual implements that's being carried alongside her. She... doesn't even notice or acknowledge the people outside the room, walking back inside and starting to speak as if Seraphina were already in there. "The first step will be determining exactly what the spell was trying to extract to ensure the proper counter ritual."
► SHOW SPOILER
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Library]

It's clearly not just 'humans are bland' since Seraphina, just a month or two ago, met a girl who really really wanted to be a human to the point of using illusions to appear human. Actually, since her mind's on that topic, Seraphina wonders how Khannie's doing now.

"Yeah, I know. I figured it out over time. It's just..." Seraphina taps her head against the wall. "...there's a million different things about the Nexus that feel eldritch and weird, that I find so beyond comprehension that I can't even think of the words to describe what's wrong, like...reality just feels things are just a little off, while so many people think it's perfectly normal."
She's slightly exaggerating: It's not quite a million things.
Seraphina sighs.
"And this is just one that I was recently able to put into words, so I really wanted to vent ab-"

She feels Maria coming back, so she stops talking, expecting Maria to stop in front of her and explain what she found.
And waits.
And notices that Maria just walked past and didn't notice her.

Once Maria starts speaking, Seraphina wonders if it would be better to clear her throat and let Maria know she's out here, or to just walk in and pretend she's been in the room the whole time, or if there's some other thing to do instead.

She stands up and steps into the room, then steps to the side.
"So...well," she says to let Maria know where in the room she is, "Assuming the stuff it's extracting is just pooling up where the injury is with nowhere to go, that should be easy to tell, right? Just whatever there's too much of, that's what it was trying to extract."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

Reinholdt looks at Maria go by and turns his attention to Seraphina with an apologetic shrug and a mouthed 'sorry'. He'd offer more platitudes like how she'll get used to the Nexus with time, but she has to go so he'll just return to awkwardly standing around outside the room.

Maria doesn't look up at Seraphina when she speaks, too busy setting down the book and retrieving various tools. Candles, herbs, chalk, etc. "That's presuming the rest of your body is compensating for the half-extracted components, which may be true for blood, but we can't be sure. And if it is an excess that has been pooled, then instead of reversing the spell, we'll need to drain it instead. The easiest way to be sure of what we're working with would be just to take a sample directly, but I'm afraid any puncture wound may create a rapid excavation flow we couldn't cease. Fortunately, this ancient humors diagnosis ritual should suffice. Even if the purpose was flawed, the foundation behind the principles are solid. It should discover the location and nature of imbalances."

The human Maria finally looks up, adjusting the glasses protecting her vibrant blue eyes. "Please sit over there and expose the wound in question." Maria motions to the area in front of where she's gathering all those materials.
► SHOW SPOILER
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[LIbrary]

"...Ah. Yeah, you're right, I hadn't considered that," Seraphina says. "Would be bad to burst a dam, or something." The dam in this scenario is whatever is keeping it pooled there. Possibly her skin.

She closes the door.

"Ancient humors, as in, like....blood, phlegm, and...um....melancholy? or something? That sort of stuff? Where things are supposed to be in balance or whatever?" Sure, sounds weird, but at least it sounds like something she's heard of before.

She bites her lip, then takes time to expose the magical wound.

And she sits down.

Seraphina looks at the gathered materials very intently as if it's the most important distraction to look at, and she asks, "So, um, anything specific I need to do?"

Of course, as previously stated, since the curse was intended to drain magic power and energy, there is quite an overabundance of both magic power and...whatever energy is supposed to be located in the affected area. Magic power seems to be pretty well balanced across her body - notably, even higher than one ought to expect! Especially for someone who claimed to be a human. The nebulous 'energy', however, is more consistent with someone who is exhausted after several days of nearly non-stop walking. And, notably, perhaps due to her now-treated injuries, blood is uniformly low. And, Maria would also be able to note with proper diagnosis that - although it's not 'pooling' in the wound - that some kind of life-power that's parallel and similar to magic-power is quite depleted in specific areas across her body, possibly suggesting that either either her body's using it up to replace the missing magic power, or alternatively that it's being used up in another unnatural and undiagnosed reason unrelated to the draining curse.

Oh.
And, speaking of the four humors specifically, in addition to low blood, there's also there's a massively unbalanced amount of a more metaphorical and magical version of melancholy. But, whatever. It's not that serious, and at least she doesn't have to worry about an overproductive spleen. Likely something that can be completely ignored.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

"Yes exactly. Melancholy, Choler, Phlegm, and Sanguine. Medical nonsense, but the ritual's ability to detect imbalances is fortunately not limited to those due to some foresight by the creators." Foresight or forgetfulness, one can never be sure.

"Leave it exposed and try not to fidget too much," Maria tells Seraphina. Which is much easier said than done. The ritual actually takes awhile to complete. A full forty or so minutes, though it may feel much longer for someone who just has to sit there. At least Seraphina can watch Maria move things around and chant in an unknown language.

There's nothing fancy that occurs, no special glow or compressed text in the air or anything like that to indicate the ritual is complete. Just a conclusive finish by Maria who lightly remarks, "Interesting..." She makes a few marks in her notebook, pulling it out as the diagnostics ritual appears to have concluded.

Fortunately, she doesn't ignore Seraphina either and lets her in on what she believes she's found. "Well your blood is distressingly low, but it isn't pooled at the wound so that is likely something unrelated. Do you suffer from anemia?" Maria asks. "It's much more likely that it's your stamina and magic... but not your life-force. That's... something else." Maria finds those results most curious, but the life-power is likely unrelated to the wound itself.

"You don't seem to be lacking in any... melancholy though." Maria makes some furious notes in her notebook. Emo powers? Strength from Sadness? A curious case, but again, the draining wound is why they're here.

"I see no indication as to why the magical energy shouldn't have escaped your body though." Maria chews the tip of her pen a little. "Well either way, we're looking at a threefold solution here. Cutting off the draining spell is the easy part, but we also need to make sure that the magic gets properly drained when we do. You'll recover with time, but shoving all that magic back into you with a simple reversal could have drastic unforeseen effects, up to and including legitimate damage. But while emptying the pooled magic, we have to strain out the stamina and prevent it from escaping so that you don't suffer cascade exhaustion." Cascade exhaustion can lead to death!
► SHOW SPOILER
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Library]

Forty minutes is a long time.
Seraphina wouldn't be surprised if Rein gave up on just sitting outside the door and left to go do something else. After all, that's probably what she would've done if she didn't need to sit still. And she can't even bounce or tap a foot because that would break the 'try not to fidget too much' rule!

Needless to say, it's difficult. Simply watching Maria move things around and chant isn't enough to make up for just sitting in place for forty minutes.
She does swallow a lot, though.

"Before visiting you, I had a pretty long wound on my back stitched together. It had been bleeding for a couple days," she gives as explanation for the low blood count. The other things, however, she doesn't have an excuse for. It's just there.
She comments, "If you can't find out why it didn't escape, then it's likely we'll never know." Maria is, after all, the expert.
"...it sounds difficult," she adds. Drain magic without draining stamina? There'd need to be some sort of...magic filtering system, or something like that." She glances away and runs her tongue along her teeth again. Spending this long stuck in a room with almost nothing to look at but Maria has gotten her a little thirsty. "Do you think, if I got something to eat first, that would help with the stamina and cascade exhaustion?" she says, pointedly not looking at Maria because she definitely doesn't want to drink Maria.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

"Pretty much, yes," Maria says in regards to the filter system. That was her intention. "I believe this can be done by simultaneously integrating a ritual designed to boost your stamina. This will trick your body into wanting it more than it wants to let it go and it should naturally reabsorb the stamina since the drain spell will no longer be pulling on it. Then a simple incision to release the magic... it'll need a receptacle. A crystal should suffice..." Maria seems to mostly be talking to herself but maybe Seraphina will learn something in the process.

Only when asked about eating does she does have to stop and think about the question. It never occurred to her. Which isn't surprising if you've learned the sheer number of meals Maria has skipped while in the library. "It won't really affect the ritual if things go right, but I suppose it would buy us time to rectify the situation if something goes wrong. Very well."

Maria pokes her head out the door. Reinholdt is still out there! Well, he's turned into a cat and completely fallen asleep, his belly turned up as he presses into the edge where the wall and floor meet. Maria rudely wakes him up. "Wha-huh? It over?"

"No. Now go retrieve towels, gauze, a scalpel, a large Black Tourmaline, a large iron weight, and a sandwich with good protein." Reinholdt opens his mouth to say something but Maria ducks back inside and closes the door on him. He sighs and wanders off, trying to repeat to himself the list several times so he doesn't forget it.

Maria, meanwhile, switches books to one of the others she brought with her, flipping through it to a new ritual she begins reading over.
► SHOW SPOILER
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Library]

If there's anything Seraphina is learning, it's that it's dangerous for her to keep on being in this enclosed space with Maria for much longer. She's just way too enticing. And Seraphina's worried that if she doesn't get fresh air or a splash of cold water or something soon, she'll end up trying to drain Maria which will probably make any upcoming ritual harder.
Also, crystals.
And stamina reabsorption seems to work similarly to osmosis, which is pretty cool.

She blankly watches what's going on. Looks out at the door. Looks back at Maria. Looks at the book.

Oh! That's an idea. Just step out.
Seraphina tells herself that Maria is probably absorbed in this new book again, too much to notice what's going on or what Seraphina is saying. Which is why she feels perfectly comfortable in standing, and saying, "Hey, so remember when I said I was human? I mean, I didn't lie, but...well, ever since a couple years ago I've been sometimes needing to suck out life force and other things from people..." She twists her ring. "And you're just way too enticing and the sandwich isn't going to really help so I think I'm going to just step out for a bit and see if I can cool off, or something." There, she said it so she won't feel guilty about anything but also she's pretty sure Maria was probably too busy with the book so she must've been not listening. Best of both worlds.

The woman steps out of the room.
And lies down on the ground, next to the door where she was sitting before, placing her head on the floor and closing her eyes. Slow breaths...she needs water to dump on her face. . .oh. She forgot to fill up her water. Well, at least she can think about how stupid she was for not filling up her water when she had the chance, instead of the intrusive thoughts about Maria's smell and lips and the way life and magic flows throughout her body.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

"Hmm? Yeah, sure. Suck enticing sandwich, whatever," Maria waves her hand to give Seraphina permission to suck whatever she wants. Maria's busy reading important life altering rituals! She doesn't have the time or focus to deal with the patient at the same time!

So much water all around Seraphina, yet within this corner of the library, it's just very scarce. Seraphina, if she stays there will be relatively alone with her thoughts about Maria's smell and lips and skin. For almost nineteen minutes. Either she wanders off in search of water (which can be found in the kitchen or one of those water fountains by a bathroom but who uses those?) or she waits long enough for Reinholdt to return with the various goods and sundries in his arms.

Carefully balanced. And by carefully, I mean he's moving exceptionally carefully because it looks like it will all fall over at any minute. It doesn't help that one hand is holding a heavy weight so the rest is being carried by his other hand and he's doing his best to balance it. Especially that chicken sandwich on top of a plate on top of the scalpel on top of gauze on top of a crystal on top of the towels that aren't perfectly folded and starting to come loose. He really doesn't want that to fall and his steps are laborious as he fights gravity and momentum at the same time.
► SHOW SPOILER
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Library]

Seraphina can't help but laugh.
She really wasn't listening, was she? At least she was pretending to listen, though. That's good enough.

Just as well this library isn't full of water. Books can get pretty bad with water damage. There's got to be some kind of waterproofing magic. Or...keep-things-in-good-condition magic.

Good, thinking about waterproofing magic. That's a good tangent for Seraphina to concentrate on.

Since she's not sure how long it will take for when she's needed again, and because she could easily get lost in the hallways of HALO, and because...well, there's lots of reasons why she's not wandering around. And Seraphina would rather lie right here and get distracted by thinking about waterproofing magic and the fact that Maria might not even notice if she just touches her lips a little and waterproofing magic and books.

She senses someone coming and deduces it's probably Reinholdt. It's a pretty easy deduction, too, since all she has to do is open her eyes and look at him.

He looks like things are going to fall at any moment. Since lying on the ground barely helped, she gets up and goes over to him. She tries to grab the heavy weight - not suddenly lifting it up, but rather slowly putting more and more strength into holding it up to make it easier and easier until she can take it.

She doesn't say anything, though.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

If you don't take the time to dwell on waterproofing magic, how will you be ready to utilize it when the time comes? It's always better to be prepared for those times when you really need to waterproof something. Like yourself.

Looking at the answer does make finding the answer easier. "Ahh, oh thank you," Reinholdt says as his burden is lifted enough that he can stabilize everything. "You ok? Did Maria take over the room again?" Rein still heads in because these were all requested items.

Inside Maria has managed to occupy the full table, two books open and various notes of her own design already spiraling outwards from there. "I see... Maria. Hey. We got your things." Reinholdt puts them down carefully.

Maria neither looks up nor acknowledges him, simply continuing on her scholastic marathon. Reinholdt rolls his eyes and looks to Seraphina. "Sorry about her. Fortunately I've found there's always one way to get her attention." Reinholdt steps up behind Maria and bends over her, until he's level with her head. He tilts his own head and then... lightly blows into her ear.

Needless to say, this startles the librarian who sits up quickly, her face blushing as Maria looks around in a panic. Reinholdt has quickly stepped back and is trying to hold back his laughter, but the amusement still spills over in his looks.
► SHOW SPOILER
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Library]

Speaking of waterproofing yourself - if Seraphina somehow waterproofed herself, would that make it harder to swim? If she repels the water, would she just sink as the water moves out of the way for her?

That's an answer she hopes she'll never need. It would be terrifying to sink to the bottom of the ocean just because the water develops a phobia of her.

She opens her mouth.
Her canines are just a bit noticeably sharper than before.
She doesn't say anything, so she just closes her mouth again and shakes her head, and doesn't elaborate.

And...she re-enters the room.
She looks around for a place to put the weight, and eventually finds a decent enough place. Right there, by the door, keeping it open.

She also wants to laugh, but, sadly~ Maria looks to be in enough of a panic that it's probably best to wait before laughing. So, she waves, and when Maria manages to look in Seraphina's direction, she says, "Hi. We have the stuff," basically echoing what Reinholdt said earlier.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Library]

Well if she waterproofs herself and sinks to the bottom of the ocean, she won't have to worry about drowning. And since the water isn't touching Seraphina, there probably isn't any pressure crushing her. Suffocation would still be problem. Depends on if humans with unusually sharp fangs need to breathe or not.

Reinholdt, alas, doesn't notice the just sharper canines because he is focused on keeping things together. He would be impressed with her teeth care though. Did she just sharpen them while waiting? That's pretty impressive.

Maria continues to blush and stammers a bit, "Y-yes, well-well just... set them over there. I believe we're about ready to begin," Maria says, gathering her notes that were threatening to overflow. She knows what she needs to do and what to interlace with what so now it's just a matter of implementation. Maria looks towards the patient... who isn't where she was earlier. With a blink, Maria looks around over to where Seraphina spoke. Teleportation too? What a fascinating subject.

"Right. Grab a bite to eat and resume your position. You," Maria says, harshly looking at Reinholdt who is still giggling under his breath just a little. He straightens up suddenly, the picture of professionalism. "May evacuate the premises and give us some space."

Reinholdt gives a defeated shrug. "Alright, alright," He says, going to step out and leave them be for the final treatment.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[An appointment a long time coming]

Kitsuki leads the way out of the shuttle, with Ana and Obriane close behind her. Kitsuki pauses to gives Ana a look over. The events of the night before are still weighing on all of them, but especially Ana. She puts a hand across Ana's back to give her a little support before continuing to the Fourth Tower section.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Overdue Appointment]

If there's anything Ana needs right now, it's support. The poor girl looks terrible right now. She still has a far-off look in her eyes, and she clearly hasn't slept at all since the incident. Her hair isn't even tied up in a braid today. At the touch she leans against her mother for support, an arm snaking around hers.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Overdue Appointment]

Obriane is quiet and acting as awkwardly as she usually does when she's nervous. Which is just about any time that she meets new people. Now, Vax and Zhareen weren't new per say but to her they might as well be considering the context of this trip.

They move through the corridors at HALO until they arrive at the portal which takes them to the fourth tower island. Since this time Zhareen hadn't been there to greet them.
At least until they reach the portal room that is. Since just a few seconds after they do she comes through the portal dripping wet. Seemingly having been in the water not long ago. She's drying herself off with a towel as she moves and at the very least her scales are a bit easier to dry than naked skin by the looks of it.

"Thousand apologies, we had an little scare with... it doesn't matter. I shouldn't be late and I shouldn't be wet. Not on a day like this." The merfolk let's out a small sigh as she's drying off her head fins.
She then looks to Ana. "Ana, how are you feeling?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Overdue Appointment]

Anastasia stares blankly towards Zhareen before realizing she's being addressed. She swallows and tries on a weak, ineffectual smile. "I'm, um. Here."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Overdue Appointment]

"We've had a difficult morning." Kitsuki adds, apparently not too intent on getting into details. "The quicker we can get this problem solved the better." At least it'd be one weight off their shoulders.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Overdue Appointment]

Zhareen gestures for them to come on in through the portal. "Let's get this over then. I'd hand you it right here but I've been uh, preoccupied." She lets the towel hang over her shoulders. "So let's go and see Vax, she'll set you right up."

Once they've gone through the portal she adds. "She's the responsible one of us two you know?" She smiles and taps her fingers against one another as she heads through the corridor that leads to the stairs going up to Vax's office. "So whose the responsible one in your family?" Zhareen inquires, their tense reactions so far apparently not discouraging her from making small-talk.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Overdue Appointment]

"Um - Kitty, I guess?" Ana answers, a little hesitantly. She shrugs. "I'm... not very good at it."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Overdue Appointment]

"Depends on the day." Kitsuki's terse response barely fits as a polite reply, but it'll have to do. "You're sure that everything's ready today? She'll be fully protected?" She questions. They don't need additional disappointment.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Overdue Appointment]

"Uh-" Obriane wasn't sure if she completely agreed that Kitty was all that responsible, but it didn't feel like a question she should put much thought into either.
"-yeah, Kitty probably."

"Oh, everything is ready for her. We've taken care of everything." Zhareen assures them with another smile as she starts heading up the stairs. Something which always had been difficult for her. But at least she didn't have any knees to strain like the rest.
Once they reach the office, keeping silent as they ascend, she knocks on the door to the diim's office. "Oh Vaxy~! They're here!~"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Overdue Appointment]

"Come in." Vax calls, and the group enters. The diim stands from her writing desk to greet them. "You'll be happy to know we believe we have a solution." She says, getting right to business.

"You believe?" Kitsuki asks, not sounding all that impressed. She's got no filter today.

"I'm confident, but you never know for sure without putting it into practice. In any case, let's not waste any time." She turns back to the desk and picks up a bracelet mode of bone and with a purple stone set in the center. She turns to Ana, looking her up and down.

"Listen carefully. You should wear this at all times. If you must take it off, only do so for no more than twenty four hours, and no more than once a week. Hold out your wrist." She waits for Ana to comply and then circles the bracelet around her wrist. She closes it and makes sure it can't slip over her hand. Then she takes a small tool, with which she fixes the pin in place. "You can't remove it by hand, or accidentally. This tool is required if you need to remove it. That all said, I would recommend you only ever remove it if absolutely necessary. Understand?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Overdue Appointment]

Oh no, Kitty has committed the crime of disrespecting her wife right in front of Zhareen. That earns her a finger wag as Zhareen puts her other hand on her hip.
"Vax doesn't say such things lightly, young lady. We're speaking in scientific terms here."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Overdue Appointment]

Ana comes back into focus as Vax directly addresses her. She nods quietly and raises her wrist for the bracelet to be applied, testing the fit and studying it idly. Dimly, she feels something dulled within her. Calmed, soothed. ”…I, um - I understand.” She looks up. ”Does… this mean you know what’s wrong with me then?”
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Overdue Appointment]

Kitsuki frowns at Zhareen and folds her arms, but she makes no additional comment.

"I haven't found a reason to question my initial observations. Unfortunately information remains scarce on the vaiety of fey both you and your mother are, but we have found a few sources that seem to suggest you are not a unique being. The problem still appears to be that your aetheric self is some manner of asith, and the common trait of all asith is the hunger."

"Our solution is two part. The bracelet is just the first step. It should weaken the connection to the aether, and thus the part of you that hungers. I dared not pursue a full severing, as this might have had severe negative effects. You ae still fey, after all. You may find that certain capabilities that your mother has will come more difficult to you, or be entirely inaccessible. Your aetheric nature came with benefits as well as the notable downsides, and both are intrinsically tied together."

"There is the second aspect, however." Vax pauses for a moment to make sure all three are paying attention. "The hunger won't be fully stopped by the bracelet alone, but sating it is far less dire. Based on some of the accounts I found, I'll suggest you need to consume the liver of an animal once every lunar cycle, ideally when the moon is new. You must kill the animal yourself."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Overdue Appointment]

Zhareen shakes her head at Kitty when she shows her even more attitude, no respect these days.
Not even the adults have been raised properly!

However, Vax's explanation of how they're going to deal with Ana's problem now raises concern in the other of her two mom's. "Uh, weaken her connection to the aether?" Obriane inquires. "Won't that... still hurt her?" Since yes, everything she had learned from her uncle had learned her about these things suggested that getting completely severed from the aether could lead to death.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Overdue Appointment]

"Right, I - I guess that makes sense," Ana agrees. "And I should be, um - fine, mom. Really." Though a morose part of her can't see the point on worrying so much about the consequences on Vax or Obriane's part. What does it matter if it hurts her when it keeps her in check?

The second half of information gets her a bit more at attention, though. It takes a moment for Anastasia to digest the concept, face growing a little pale. Her shoulders sag. "I'll still have to hurt something, then." Of course. It was all she was good for anymore. Though... something about that description seems to snag within her brain. "W-wait. The, uh, liver? W-why is it that?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Overdue Appointment]

Vax glances at Obriane. "If I believed the side effects would be especially severe I would have pursued other avenues." She explains simply before looking back to Ana.

"This is speculation on my part, and we'll need to assess it, but it appears to align with some accounts that share similarity with your description. It's possible it could be any organ meat, but there's merit to the liver. In different cultures the liver is seen as the seat of the soul or the source of emotion. Beliefs like this have conceptual weight that can shape aether."

Not to ignore Ana's negative reaction, though, Vax adds. "Many people need to hunt to sustain themselves. You've grown in a culture that's distanced yourself from that reality, but it's a core part of living. What you need to do now is no more aberrant than hunting for any other meal." She poses.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Overdue Appointment]

"Eh, o-of course." Obriane nods, only giving Ana a hesitant glance once she's sure Vax's gaze isn't on her anymore.

She didn't have anything to say regarding the consumption. However, it sounded like it would cost a lot to buy so many live animals. Would they need to start to breed them to save money? Where would they keep them in that case?
She would do it for Ana of course but it sounded like yet expenditure that they didn't need right now.

Then Vax mentions 'hunting' which makes grants her a light-bulb moment. Of course, that would be the way to do it!

Zhareen meanwhile, slithers up to Ana to gently touch the bracelet. "Now the gem here is really cool, Ana. It's a precious metal which has been close to a dragon at some point. Can you imagine that? We think they excreted whatever was left of the spirits they consumed into a substance which is highly toxic to not only spirits but people as well if it's in high enough concentration. This is of course not nearly high enough to hurt a mortal, but your mother-"
The warlock glances at Kitsuki. "-might feel uncomfortable if you let the gem touch her skin, so be careful with it. It took a lot of effort to find just the right concentration for it to do what you want it to do without causing any discomfort or pain."