HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Thursday Violist »

((copied over to make things easier to continue if wanted))
Felandria wrote:She certainly sounds familiar.

Felandria peeks down the hallway.

Let me message her.

Fel reaches towards her computer and types in a messenger for the PA system, a vaguely robotic voice will play.

Would Venus please report to Felandria’s office as soon as they can.
Morty wrote:[Definitely not a cultistfriend thing]

"Hello, Felandria. This is Dorota. We have a guest here inquiring by someone named Venus. She says she's got long red hair, flowers and deer legs." Dorota looks to said guest, just to see if she's relaying that right. "Do we have anyone like that among us?"
[Definitely not a cultistfriend thing]
Hallway
The person in the cloak is very interested in the phone call, as it turns out.
She listens closely, but then realizes she's being rude and pretends to not be paying attention. Mostly by pushing buttons on her phone. Man, is this phone interesting.

Well, it would be more interesting if she had a signal down here. Her phone plan doesn't cover undersea, though. It's cheap like that.

She almost asks Dorota if there's a public wifi password, but decides against it because the phone call is more important.

Felandria's Office

After hearing the intercom message, Venus comes to the office. Takes a few moments, but she comes from one of the emptier hallways that has recently started to get overgrown with small plants.

As described, she's got a centaurlike deer body, is pretty short with those deer legs, and has long red hair with sweet-scented flowers growing in it, among other things.
She also looks a little exhausted.

Venus knocks on the door as she enters Felandria's office. "Hi, you needed me?" she asks. "Did something come up?"
She pauses, and gets a better look at Felandria: wow, she's tall. That's kinda cool. "Also, hi, I don't think we've really talked much before."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Ironsmith wrote: Oct 28, 2022 3:12 am [Airbase]

"...So you are a golem." Septimus reiterates, staring at the tiny stuffed animal. "But, yes, I do speak Elvish."

"Is that why your mouth is so..." Vlad makes a vague gesture with his hand, imitating lips flapping with his fingers.

"...So... what?" The elf looks at Vlad skeptically. "...You are the one who stops speaking long before your words are finished."

"...Well. That's confusing."
[Airbase]

Mr. C is on his back again since none dared to poke him back again, poor little guy.

"I would be happy if you DON'T call me Golem. First I am much fluffier and my capabilities to think is far above that of what you imagine when thinking about golems." He says.

"And I think your missunderstanding. Mr. Vlad just stopped speaking because he seems to be unsure if he can find the right words to describe what he wants and rather attempts to mimic it. On the other hand. Mr Ancient Elf (which I call him since none of you dared to introduce him) speaks a language that is complicated to translate. The same sentence can just mean a few words or a whole section. Still the writing of that language was much easier to read then the speech itself."

After a short break and maybe some mad looks from the others he adds.

"Oh and could you be so kind to turn me again. And not turn me on my back again, Please?"
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Thursday Violist wrote: Oct 28, 2022 11:31 pm Felandria's Office

After hearing the intercom message, Venus comes to the office. Takes a few moments, but she comes from one of the emptier hallways that has recently started to get overgrown with small plants.

As described, she's got a centaurlike deer body, is pretty short with those deer legs, and has long red hair with sweet-scented flowers growing in it, among other things.
She also looks a little exhausted.

Venus knocks on the door as she enters Felandria's office. "Hi, you needed me?" she asks. "Did something come up?"
She pauses, and gets a better look at Felandria: wow, she's tall. That's kinda cool. "Also, hi, I don't think we've really talked much before."
Felandria offers a hand to Venus.

Sorry about that, I do have a lot on my plate these days.

I just got a call from Dorota, she says someone just arrived at the base asking for you by name.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Airbase]

"Right. Sorry." Vlad reaches out and uses his hand to roll Mr. C onto his side, thinking he can probably figure out how to stand up from there. "...So, wait, you know this guy's native language?"

"...Do you not?" Septimus eyes Vlad confusedly.

"Well, no. The Nexus automatically translates most of what we're saying." Vlad explains. "So what you're hearing isn't what I'm saying, it's what the things I'm saying mean in your language. And, presumably, vice versa."

"...Hm." The elf kneels down next to Mr. C. "You know what I am saying, then?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Felandria wrote: Oct 30, 2022 1:04 am Felandria offers a hand to Venus.

Sorry about that, I do have a lot on my plate these days.

I just got a call from Dorota, she says someone just arrived at the base asking for you by name.

Felandria's Office

Venus shakes Felandria's hand.

Hearing about the call, Venus appears at once hopeful, surprised, and like this is the first good news she's heard in a while. "Really? Is it -"
Then, she remembers something.
She shakes her head. Her mood looks like a balloon when it deflates, and pretty quickly she's instead downcast and crestfallen. "Oh. Um..."

She takes a deep breath, in then out.

"Did they say what it was about? Was it about June? Or, um...." She tries to think what it's about. "It probably wasn't from those Fourth Tower folks, was it? 'cause they wouldn't need to do such a roundabout way. Um...do you know who the person is? Was it some salamander demon lady? Someone from the Black Dragon Den? Or..." Or, gosh, she hopes it's not this last one, she's still not confident in her ability to breath underwater, "or did it look like some weird cultist?"

IIRC, the guest who met with Dorota is a woman with a cloak and a phone.
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Thursday Violist wrote: Oct 30, 2022 10:29 pm Felandria's Office

Venus shakes Felandria's hand.

Hearing about the call, Venus appears at once hopeful, surprised, and like this is the first good news she's heard in a while. "Really? Is it -"
Then, she remembers something.
She shakes her head. Her mood looks like a balloon when it deflates, and pretty quickly she's instead downcast and crestfallen. "Oh. Um..."

She takes a deep breath, in then out.

"Did they say what it was about? Was it about June? Or, um...." She tries to think what it's about. "It probably wasn't from those Fourth Tower folks, was it? 'cause they wouldn't need to do such a roundabout way. Um...do you know who the person is? Was it some salamander demon lady? Someone from the Black Dragon Den? Or..." Or, gosh, she hopes it's not this last one, she's still not confident in her ability to breath underwater, "or did it look like some weird cultist?"

IIRC, the guest who met with Dorota is a woman with a cloak and a phone.
Well, we can look on the security feed and see who it is.

Fel pulls out a tablet and taps it a few times, then studies what she sees briefly.

Yeah, they got a cloak, so cultist is on the table.

Fel shows Venus the feed on the tablet.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Airbase]

Now Mr. C is on his side and remains perfectly balanced for the moment. Either he is extremly athletic to keep that pose or just not able to use his little paws in this state. Or he just doesn't recognize it while he is busy talking.

"Hmm I was under the impression that most common languages are the same and thats why we all understand each other. Especially since I met people talking a foreign language which I had to translate. Good to know. I have to be carefull then."

He turns to Vlad or amybe he can assume that.

"I was a librarian for millenias and had to read everything. I can read write and speak 200+ lnguages not including variouse dialacts. In Mr Ancient Elfs case it is a bit more trouble to translate, but i can manage it."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Airbase]

"...Really?" Vlad smiles. "Well, that's just great, because this guy can be a bit confusing sometimes."

"Do not blame me for your low intelligence." Septimus snarks.

"See what I mean? That just sounds insulting, but I know he can't mean that." Vlad shrugs and helps Mr. C the rest of the way up. "So, if you could maybe pick up a little extra context, that'd be great."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Airbase]

"I am not sure what you mean by confusing. That was an insult." Mr. C clears.
"Thought he does confuse the lack of knowledge of a language with intelligence. From my point it is more the time needed to learn a speech that shows off how smart someone is. Otherwise you could backfire his missing knowledge as the same 'low intelligence'"

Yeah Mr.C the typical nerd. He doesn't seem to take not if that could offend any of the two. unless they put him on his back again. He seems to slowly walk, but as you might guess a 2 inch creature with tiny little paws to walk has a very slow maximum speed.

"I'm sure I can do that. We just might get to my room to gab 'The Switch'" A device to switch anything on and off that doesn't cause a problem. In this case mayb the auto translation of the nexus. And no it can't switch on the TV were you lost the remote years ago.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Airbase]

"Knock yourself out." Vlad shrugs. "I-"

wham!

Vlad groans and holds his busted lip, swearing to himself. "What the hell was that for?"

"You suggested the gentleman hurt himself. That is an insult where I come from."

"Ugh... it's a figure of speech, dude!" Vlad taps his finger to his lips and sighs. "...Note to self. The elf doesn't understand idioms."

"Hm." Septimus frowns, but will follow Mr. C to this switch, while Vlad starts trying to apply some first aid to his lip.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Airbase]

Mr. see raises an eyebrow at that event, which should have an even stronger effect as he didn't had eyebrows a second ago and won't have them after that.

By the way, following Mr. C is like following an ant . Just saying if the elf doesn't have the patience.

"Well, you sure have to work on the rules around here. Mr Ancient Elf. Thought I should have seen that comming. The place were your language comes from is rather.. stiff a side effect of there high intellect and lost of social skills or was it more empahi that went missing in there world? Hard to tell with only books and a few visitors who focused on study then small talk."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Airbase]

Septimus takes dutifully small paces, following after Mr. C at a reasonably slow pace. "Father says most mortals are not as smart as we are and can not even learn our language. It is too difficult for them."

Vlad gives an irritated little grunt but says nothing, not too eager to get punched in the face again.

"I do not think I can tell you much more than that. I am sorry."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Airbase]

"Your father seems to fall for a common flaw 'smart' people have. The flaw of arogance.
A language is a tool for communication. Assuming that as it's primary goal people should be able to learn it. Making a language as complex as yours only means it is not meant to be spread. Like a secret language."
Mr. C replies.

"What else can you tell us about your father?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Airbase]

"It is not meant to be spread." Septimus elaborates. "Father says other beings can not understand it. He says trying would break their brains because they're so stupid compared to us."

"Sounds like a real piece of work, your father." Vlad mutters.

"He is, yes. He is very proud of the fact." Septimus manages a little smile. "And so am I. He said I am one of his better works."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Felandria wrote: Nov 03, 2022 4:32 am Well, we can look on the security feed and see who it is.

Fel pulls out a tablet and taps it a few times, then studies what she sees briefly.

Yeah, they got a cloak, so cultist is on the table.

Fel shows Venus the feed on the tablet.

Felandria's Office

Wow! Security feeds are really handy, Venus thinks.

She looks at the tablet.

"...yeah. Um. Okay. Yeah, that looks like she's part of the same group that ended up chasing me here." She sighs, and looks closer at the tablet, trying to see the cultist better. "Does she have a gun? The ones I saw last had a gun and a bunch of weird mutations..." If there's any weapons or mutations on the cloaked woman, though, it's not apparent. Could potentially be under the cloak, maybe.

She rubs her eyes out of tiredness, and starts pacing around.
Venus puts her thumbs on her temples and her fingers on her brow.
"I...I don't know. I don't know what... I don't...I don't...I don't....."
She rubs her eyes again.

Venus stops pacing, closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath. "I just..."
She looks at Felandria. "I...what do you think I should do? I don't want them to hurt anyone, but if one's here they probably already know I'm here, right? But they took over my home and they keep on praying at me and I just feel so alone, and ...."
She puts her face in her hands. "I just don't know what I should do."
FireFox
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

Reinholdt wrote: Aug 05, 2022 8:33 am [Reinholdt's Office]

Oh ok, good. Phew. Callie was just... being Callie Rein supposes. She always did do exceptionally extreme things because of anxiety for as long as he's known her. Rein hopes Callie talks to Sophie about her deep seated anxiety issues.

"Apply? Uhh... there's no application process here Callie. If you want to join HALO, well, we'll be happy to have you," Reinholdt assures the foxgirl with a welcome smile.

"So... a magical scientist." It's a step up from domestic and international terrorist. But it's also a little vague. "So, like the study of magic in general? What sort of things will you need for your lab?"
[Reinholdt's Office]

"No application process...? But Dr. Druid said I had to interview with you personally and pitch my research project. He said you only take 25 percent of applicants, to weed out the mad scientists. ... ... Tobias said." Callie covers her face in her hands and calculates the exact thaumaturgic force she would need to crack HALO's walls and let the ocean cover the evidence of her gullibility. When she peeks through her fingers at Rein, it's with a scarlet face.

"Um... it means I both use the scientific method to study magic and use spells and rituals to study things. I'll need the usual arcane equipment and supplies: chalk, candles, bells, certain plants. The druidic paraphernalia I can supply myself, but a big lab with a high ceiling would be preferable?" The young foxgirl makes a noticeable effort to regain her professional mask and confidently ask for what she needs, but she's still flustered over being tricked.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

"Sounds like you've been talking to a quack, a fraud. There's a high frequency of them around here, generally localized wherever Tobias is standing." Reinholdt doubts anything can alleviate Callie's embarrassment, but he tries.

"The chalk may or may not be stolen from a young child, but I think we can arrange this for you, no problem." Manja probably doesn't need that much chalk anyways, right? "I'll expect you to start work immediately, if you're going to get that big promotion!"
"That was a joke, there are no promotions."
► SHOW SPOILER
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 15, 2022 7:11 pm [Airbase]

"It is not meant to be spread." Septimus elaborates. "Father says other beings can not understand it. He says trying would break their brains because they're so stupid compared to us."

"Sounds like a real piece of work, your father." Vlad mutters.

"He is, yes. He is very proud of the fact." Septimus manages a little smile. "And so am I. He said I am one of his better works."
[Airbase]

"Your father sounds extremly arogant." Mr. C says. "Especially such quotes. He is missing empahy which I tell you now, you should learn. I don't know your capabilities, but a lack of empahi will cause trouble."

They might leave the room they are in by now, just to remember the speed limit. But sure can be skipped if none else has anything to add.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Airbase]

"He is not wrong." Septimus smiles fondly at that. "Many people are stupid compared to him. I do not think you could build someone. I do not think you could even come close to it."

"...Huh?"

"Exactly."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

Reinholdt wrote: Nov 17, 2022 4:09 am [Reinholdt's Office]

"Sounds like you've been talking to a quack, a fraud. There's a high frequency of them around here, generally localized wherever Tobias is standing." Reinholdt doubts anything can alleviate Callie's embarrassment, but he tries.

"The chalk may or may not be stolen from a young child, but I think we can arrange this for you, no problem." Manja probably doesn't need that much chalk anyways, right? "I'll expect you to start work immediately, if you're going to get that big promotion!"
"That was a joke, there are no promotions."

[Reinholdt's Office]

Callie doesn't dare give her new boss the glare his joke deserves. So she just smiles thinly at him instead, putting both hands flat on his desk and subtly pushing the whorls and grain of the wood into slow movement so that in a few minutes they will form an image of a dumb cat drinking from a bottle. "Thank you... I think. What can I start with?"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Thursday Violist wrote: Nov 15, 2022 10:14 pm Felandria's Office

Wow! Security feeds are really handy, Venus thinks.

She looks at the tablet.

"...yeah. Um. Okay. Yeah, that looks like she's part of the same group that ended up chasing me here." She sighs, and looks closer at the tablet, trying to see the cultist better. "Does she have a gun? The ones I saw last had a gun and a bunch of weird mutations..." If there's any weapons or mutations on the cloaked woman, though, it's not apparent. Could potentially be under the cloak, maybe.

She rubs her eyes out of tiredness, and starts pacing around.
Venus puts her thumbs on her temples and her fingers on her brow.
"I...I don't know. I don't know what... I don't...I don't...I don't....."
She rubs her eyes again.

Venus stops pacing, closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath. "I just..."
She looks at Felandria. "I...what do you think I should do? I don't want them to hurt anyone, but if one's here they probably already know I'm here, right? But they took over my home and they keep on praying at me and I just feel so alone, and ...."
She puts her face in her hands. "I just don't know what I should do."
Felandria immediately offers Venus a hug.

Hey, breathe, don’t you worry.

If this lady is a problem or a threat to you, just say the word and she will be taken care of.

I won’t have any stupid cult come in here and bother any of my friends.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 21, 2022 8:32 am [Airbase]

"He is not wrong." Septimus smiles fondly at that. "Many people are stupid compared to him. I do not think you could build someone. I do not think you could even come close to it."

"...Huh?"

"Exactly."
[Airbase]

Mr. C sights. This type person is one of the worst. A fanatic fan of an arogant sientist. He did read many books from those people which were rather hard to read. Not because of the language, but mostly because the arogance they have was writen down.

"As I said. Empathy is one of the things you need to know if you want to be part of the community. Or are you as smart as your father?
I myself can say I have the knowledge to build someone like you. I just lack the physical abilities to do so.
" With that he waves with his little paws to show what he means.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

Rein frowns a little, but considers the question. "Oh, uh, I presumed had research you wanted accomplished in mind. Umm... well, there's this woman who may be suffering from Deity syndrome. In that people are worshipping her and the land and her are changing in response to that. Name's Venus. Maybe you could talk to her. I think she's working with the Fourth Tower about it as well. So another option would be for you to go to the Fourth Tower and introduce yourself. Both are decent options if you want."

But neither of them are mandatory tasks for Callie.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Zefir wrote: Nov 28, 2022 8:02 am [Airbase]

Mr. C sights. This type person is one of the worst. A fanatic fan of an arogant sientist. He did read many books from those people which were rather hard to read. Not because of the language, but mostly because the arogance they have was writen down.

"As I said. Empathy is one of the things you need to know if you want to be part of the community. Or are you as smart as your father?
I myself can say I have the knowledge to build someone like you. I just lack the physical abilities to do so.
" With that he waves with his little paws to show what he means.
[Airbase]

"No one is as smart as father." Septimus replies, tilting up his chin for a brief moment, before letting out a little sigh. "...Especially not me. I am too young. Still stupid, for an elf." He gives Mr. C a little pat on the head. "I doubt you are as smart as he is, either. I do not think you are as stupid as I am, or as this man is."

"Hey."

"But still not as smart as father. He is just too smart."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[Reinholdt's Office]

"I mean, I do have research on magical intelligences I'd like to continue, but to start out with I just want to be useful."
There's more honesty in that than Callie would say to anyone other than Reinholdt and perhaps more than anyone other than him would pick up on. Their history is too bright for her to hide in the shadows of self-deprecation or sarcasm.

"The Fourth Tower..." She tilts her foxy head to the side. "I've heard about them. A bit. I used to avoid the bigger groups for, well, good reasons."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

"I more than understand," Reinholdt says with a soft smile. Being useful to people is the only way the bottom cat knows how to live.

"Anyways, this is actually a splinter from the main Fourth Tower group you're probably thinking of. A disagreement in how things should be run and research conducted. I vetted them and they've been rather helpful so far. They're... diverse enough that you should be able to find someone there you'd like and be able to work with." Truly a menagerie of colorful personalities.
► SHOW SPOILER
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[Reinholdt's Office]

The cat is much more useful than the foxgirl. For instance, if you pet him you feel much better.

Callie nods along as he speaks. It sounds good, but she's getting a bit hung up on practicalities. "So I just... walk up, identify myself with HALO and... introduce myself?" 'Like a normal person?' her face says. Why would Rein make her first assignment literally impossible? She'll never get that promotion now!
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Felandria's Office]

A hug.
Something Venus hasn't had in quite a long time.
Also something she hasn't really been looking for. But, at the same time, after the hug she realizes it's something she's really needed.

About half of her stress melts away as she follows Felandria's advice and breathes. Still really tired, still half-stressed, but breathing.

After several moments, Venus looks back at the security tape. "I just...I just don't want anyone to get hurt. Not anybody here, and not even them. Only a handful of them are actually dangerous." She takes another breath. "..."

She breathes out.

"Thanks," Venus tells Felandria.

Venus closes her eyes and thinks aloud.
"If we do nothing, then it'll escalate, right? Then, regardless of what happens, somebody will get hurt. Or...maybe I could leave and run. Then nobody'll be hurt, right?" She wipes at her cheeks. "Or may-maybe I guess I could just go with her, yeah? No one else will be hurt, and then, um, I could talk with them a-and see if I could convince them to stop...."
Her head's telling her that talking things over always works and always solves everything and that that's the obvious solution, but her heart's telling her to just run away.

Venus looks up at Felandria. "What would you do if you were in this situation?" she asks quietly.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

Callie would get more pets if she went around as an arctic fox half the time.

"Yeah, that sounds about right. Good luck." Reinholdt nods sagely as he dismisses Callie for her first mission. Of course, she could have picked the other option, but since this is the one she focused on, this must be the one she really wanted to do deep down inside. Reinholdt just understands Callie that well.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Strategy Room]

Dorota calls for a meeting in the strategy room. According to her message, information brought from Inside about the King in Rags' attempts to travel though time and his interest in human gods coincided with her own research. She believes useful information can be found in a temple to a forgotten human god.

The alchemist is waiting for HALO members in the strategy room, books and stacks of paper meticulously laid out on a table. She's visibly nervous and dreading having to address multiple people like this.