HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office - Catlamity]

"O-of course," Rein motions to the readily available seat often used by people coming in thinking they need to interview to join HALO. It's comfy enough, though not as comfy as a recliner or a nice heater.

Reinholdt runs his hand through his hair at the odd question. "I remember going to a temple filled with spirits with you and Obraine in search of an axe and a mask I suspected to be enchanted and possibly cursed. But we didn't find either and had to settle for a pouchful of rare gems instead. I also remember thinking you weren't pregnant at the time. I'd have never invited you if I knew!" Kitsuki just looks so far along in her pregnancy, she must have been several months in at the time and disguising it well.

Rein's thoughts flit to the recurring dreams he's been having. But those hot and heavy fantasies were just that. The lustful conjurings of an overly horny and overactive imagination.

They... they were just dreams...
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

"Okay... I need to explain something to you, Rein." Kitsuki sighs. "I don't think I ever explained how I had the triplets. So technically Obriane is their 'father'." She makes finger quotes. "I don't really know how to properly describe it, but there's a sort of other side to Obriane. She's... imposing and irresistible."

The kitsune pauses. "Well she came out one time before. It was a pretty weird situation with some old spirits that claimed to know her. The situation seemed unique. We never dwelled on it even if it left us with three unexpected children."

"And..."Kitsuki sighs again and averts her eyes. "It's fuzzy for me too, but I remember enough, and I recognize what happened. I don't think that day went like you think you remember it did. That other side of Obriane came out again somehow, and well." She claps either side of her belly and looks down at it meaningfully..
~Images by Soushiyo
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 16, 2022 11:20 am [Entrance Hall > Hallways]

"No? Ah, a pity---but no matter, yes. Getting settled in is a good idea."

It doesn't take long to find an unoccupied room; Staphis even takes a few moments to use illusion magic to test out theoretical rearrangements of the furniture!

"I have some books relevant to my studies---I'll probably be moving them into whatever my work space ends up being. Speaking of which, shall we get that nailed down?"
Fel nods.

Absolutely.

That will of course depend on your specific skills and which department you feel you would best contribute to.

What do you think?
Beans
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

Hallways
Felandria wrote: Aug 17, 2022 3:07 am Fel nods.

Absolutely.

That will of course depend on your specific skills and which department you feel you would best contribute to.

What do you think?
Staphis shrugs. "My fields of focus are primarily academic and concerned with information sciences. Space for some sorcerous rites will be necessary, but little in the way of lab space."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

If Kitsuki weren't looking away, she may note Rein's eyes widen in what is probably recognition of some kind. Maybe even wiping his brow as he starts to sweat. Pulling at his clothes a little. Is-is it hot in here? Probably. Rein needs to install a fan.

"W-wow. That's quite a story. You and Obriane must have really gone at it, huh? She sounds pretty, uh, incredible. A shame I missed it. Must have been quite the spectacle."
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki crosses her arms and huffs lightly. "You didn't miss it, Rein. I don't know why she wanted it, but she wanted me to carry your children. So... here we are."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

There's a long, pointedly awkward silence. Reinholdt stares at Kitsuki, eyes searching for any hope, any evidence that this was all one elaborate fey and/or spirit prank. For a time it may even appear that Rein has nothing to say.

Rein's nature gets the better of him in the end and he breaks the pause himself. "Do you want a drink? I could use a drink. I think I'll get a drink," Reinholdt says, standing and stepping over to the liquor cabinet to find the highest proof vodka he has and pour himself a shot, feeling as if he were in some kind of fever dream.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki sighs. "I know." The sentiment is not lost on her, even if she can't have a drink. "Honestly, I'm barely coping. Ultrasounds get tricky when there's multiples, but they're saying it's another three. I feel like it's every other day I get a toddler tantrum spiral, Annie is... still difficult sometimes, and I adopted a girl named Ana because she needed me. Thank the spirits she's sixteen and has been a dear helping out, but she's got her own troubles and I can't put too much on her."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"You..." Reinholdt turns back towards Kitsuki, something particularly nasty dancing at the edge of his tongue no doubt, but his words catch in his throat and a defeated look takes over. Kitty was dealing with this in her own way too. "That's very kind of you," Reinholdt settles on before kicking back the shot and pouring a second before the burning sensation even really has a chance to settle in. "That the girl you mentioned bringing over on the phone?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki nods slowly. "Yes, that's right. She's a kitsune like me, actually. She's having some... private trouble that we're hoping the Fourth Tower can help us solve."
~Images by Soushiyo
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 16, 2022 11:20 am [Entrance Hall > Hallways]

"No? Ah, a pity---but no matter, yes. Getting settled in is a good idea."

It doesn't take long to find an unoccupied room; Staphis even takes a few moments to use illusion magic to test out theoretical rearrangements of the furniture!

"I have some books relevant to my studies---I'll probably be moving them into whatever my work space ends up being. Speaking of which, shall we get that nailed down?"
Yes, of course.

What field of study are you specializing in?
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Hallway]

"Education and curricula for the sorcerous arts. I perceive a deficit in the systems as they stand---trust me, I've let myself be summoned by enough novices to know---and I mean to determine the best ways to correct it." She makes a few insect-like clicks.

It doesn't take long for her to find office space suitable to her needs; she requires no hot lab, no fume hood, etc. A desk for her computer, shelves for her books, and a little ritual space are about all she needs.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"I see," Rein says. How effective the Fourth Tower would be at helping this unknown stranger with their undisclosed problems is probably the furthest thing from his mind right now, but it appears to be an important deal for Kitty. Reinholdt knocks back his second glass and just about starts to pour his third when he stops and just sets the bottle down. He returns to his chair and sinks down into it, barely even looking at Kitsuki.

"... She was... is, rather irresistible, isn't she?" He asks softly, shifting the subject to Kitty's fiancé.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki sighs again. "I can't really explain it. It's like I totally lose myself." She rubs her temples and closes her eyes. "Obriane is mortified. The first time it happened was challenging enough, but you getting caught up in it too... We're going to have to do something."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

It was impossible to forget when Kitsuki first started losing herself in the temple. Reinholdt's had dreams about it for weeks. He can't fully disagree. How much of himself wasn't himself?

Reinholdt rubs his face. How was he going to tell Harley? That was the only pervading question that pressed on his mind again and again. Deny culpability? Accept it all? Both seemed wrong.

"Yeah? What did you have in mind?" Reinholdt asks.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"We... don't really know." Kitsuki admits with a frown. "This is part of Obriane; she's not just something you can totally escape from. It's complicated, but we'll try and figure it out."

"But... that aside. How are you going to, um, handle this? Like, with Carlie?" Kitsuki rubs her eyes. "You know, I hoped she and I could be friends. I guess I majorly fucked that up."
~Images by Soushiyo
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 21, 2022 11:48 am [Hallway]

"Education and curricula for the sorcerous arts. I perceive a deficit in the systems as they stand---trust me, I've let myself be summoned by enough novices to know---and I mean to determine the best ways to correct it." She makes a few insect-like clicks.

It doesn't take long for her to find office space suitable to her needs; she requires no hot lab, no fume hood, etc. A desk for her computer, shelves for her books, and a little ritual space are about all she needs.
Fel is a little excited to hear this.

You know, I’m something of a sorceress myself.

Perhaps I can assist you
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Ah. More a turn of phrase than an actual plan. There goes that hope. Rein had thought maybe Harley would be more forgiving if they were to actually... he doesn't know. Tie Obriane up and exorcise her?

"Carlie? Oh. Right." It was still Carlie to those outside of HALO. Rein had grown used to calling her Harley. Though he may have to grow used to calling an ambulance instead. "I can't say how she'll react. I can't even say if I'll be alive very long after I tell her." Stabbed with the sword that he gave her. What a terrible way to go. Ironic.

"Wait... maybe that's it. I have clones! Why don't you take one and disappear with him for the next forever and we'll just pretend that's me and I'm him cause it's sorta true and never tell anyone anything ever."

Genius.

Reinholdt doesn't sound like he's even actually considering this plan, put he lays it out there anyways.
► SHOW SPOILER
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Hallways]
Felandria wrote: Aug 24, 2022 5:55 am Fel is a little excited to hear this.

You know, I’m something of a sorceress myself.

Perhaps I can assist you
Staphis smiles wryly. "Depending on your interest in curricular schema, it may be frightfully dull---but I'll hardly refuse a third pair of hands on the project. At some point I'll want to do a detailed interview on how you learned the sorcerous arts, but not right away... anything else I need to get settled?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki gives him a flat look. "I won't drill you about it, obviously. I just feel terrible that your relationship might be damaged over this, on top of everything else."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Reinholdt gives a frustrated sigh. Harley and Tobias were the only ones who ever got Rein's antics. "It's not that I won't tell you, it's that I don't know yet. There's... a lot to unpack." He momentarily gives Kitty a sympathetic frown. "I wouldn't start blaming yourself. Though honestly, there's so much to go around, I wouldn't know where to begin."

That is... a good point now that Rein thinks about it. It might be better to discuss things with someone who does know where this began. "Maybe... Well what if Obriane talks to Carlie? I mean, I'd have to talk to Carlie first, see if she's even willing to listen to what Obriane has to say. But it wouldn't hurt to understand it from the source you know? Heck, I have questions of my own for her."
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"You want to talk to Obriane?" Kitsuki grimaces ever so slightly. "She's been struggling a lot with this, I don't know..." She trails off. Kitsuki was admittedly trying shield Obriane for this. In part because she sees it as her own responsibility as Rein's friend, but also just as a protective instinct. "...I guess you have every right to talk to her about it."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Reinholdt starts to considerably frown, but Kitty brings herself around to the reasonable conclusion. "Yes," Reinholdt confirms before Kitty can change her mind.

"Obviously we're all going to have a lot to talk about, regardless of how we got here," Rein says, looking down at Kitty's belly. Would Manja hate having siblings? Love them? Would she even get a chance to get to know them?

He closes his eyes again and takes a long breath, speaking softly. "Has the doctor given a due date? Are they, um... healthy?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki looks down at her gravid belly. "Soon. The doctor says it might be as early as two weeks. As far as she can tell they're healthy. I haven't had any complications at least. We're actually moving to a new apartment in preparation very soon. We're out of space where we are."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Reinholdt pinches his nose and squeezes his eyes shut. That quickly?! He'd have practically no time to find the right moment to tell Harley, not to mention how it's going to look exactly like he covered it up for six, seven, eight months.

"You should have come to about this sooner Kitty," Reinholdt growls.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"I know." Kitsuki stresses, yet struggles to meet his eye. "Things have been... I don't know. I don't want to give you excuses. My life's gotten more crazy over time and I was scared. I didn't know how you'd react. I barely know how to react and I've had months to process it."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

"Well what were you expecting me to-" Reinholdt starts, until he notes Kitty's aversion to his inflamed gaze. Oh. She... expected him to react like last time. She wasn't afraid to tell him. She was afraid of him. It really was all his fault, wasn't it?

He was... just the worst. There was no way around that, no matter how much time passed.

"Sorry... I'm sorry," Reinholdt says, ignoring the shot glass this time and just grabbing the entire bottle of vodka. Maybe he'll get lucky and alcohol poisoning will kill him today. "Is there anything else I should know?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Kitsuki looks up again and Rein can see they've gotten watery. She rubs the palm of her hand into one eye. "No, I don't think so. Not until they're born at least. Right now we're just sort of waiting."
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Rein's not exactly doing much better as the weight of his crimes draws him into a well of guiltsand again. He really is just trying to stall until Kitty's gone, but it gets harder by the second.

"Is there anything I can do? For you that is." Reinholdt asks softly before adding a moment later. "Do they... do they have names yet?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Nothing fully decided yet. It's hard to tell exactly what all the genders are, so we're kind of all over the place. Feel free to give suggestions." She lets out a little laugh, but chokes on it a little bit. Okay, she was doing good until now. "Sorry, sorry. I told myself I wasn't going to do this." She wipes her hands over her cheeks.

She steadies herself with a breath. "Obriane's going to be upset with me for saying this, but I'm not that proud. Financially things were already tight. We were fine, but never had anything extra. Now we have three more mouths to feed, higher rent, and I won't be able to work for at least a while after." She shrugs helplessly.
~Images by Soushiyo