Reborn Elder Poster

HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Reinholdt »

HALO

Helpful
Aquatic
Laboratory
Organization

HALO, an organization of science, light, fun, and roleplay! HALO is the longest continuously running faction that focuses on fighting plagues, protecting the facts, and bringing interesting people together socially in this FreeForm RolePlay. The people in HALO have banded together under the common cause of research and development, utilizing their various skills to advance into a better tomorrow.

The base itself is a physically undefined complex deep under the ocean and it takes exactly as long to get from one part to another as you’d like, whether out of convenience or for the sake of Narrative. That said, over the years we’ve ended up defining several rooms, creating new ones as needed, and even utilizing locations that aren’t in the main base but are still considered part of the organization. We’ve tried to list as many of the frequently used or otherwise important areas in the spoiler below.
► Locations
► Previous Threads

Visiting HALO
HALO is located Under the Sea! However that doesn't mean you can't visit...
  1. There are Shuttlepods providing arrivals and departures on a regular schedule. The docking bay is located on a beach right next to a Riftline station, so just about anyone in Inside or Riverside can come.
  2. There are no active anti-teleport wards!
  3. If you can't teleport yourself, there are Ring Transporters, which link to (among other places) Mallside, Nexus's premiere shopping center.
Joining HALO
Joining is simple! All you have to do is...
  1. Walk into the base (see our “Visiting HALO” section above).
  2. Tell a Senior Member you want to join (Currently Felandria or Reinholdt, but we’re looking for more people willing to take on the grave responsibility of accepting new members. PM Felandria if interested).
  3. That’s it! Welcome, new member! Please help the Organization out as much as you’re comfortable with and listen to the Senior Members.
Helping HALO
Now that you’re a member, you may be interested in contributing to the Organization’s mission. A few good ways to pitch in are…
  1. Plots! Whether you’re joining a plot or running one for other members. Felandria keeps a whiteboard that lists all of the current plothooks with room underneath for members to sign up. Go ahead and find a problem somewhere in the multiverse that looks like your particular flavor of cool can solve.
  2. Interaction! While there is nothing stopping a member of HALO from ignoring all other members of HALO, it’s a lot of fun to make two wildly different characters hang out and learn more about each other. Civvy had a poster-board hung up with the names of all current members and the rooms she’d usually seen them in. Go ahead and ambush someone just to ask for their life story and favorite things.
  3. Represent! When you’re looking for something to do outside the base, think about what sort of plots and events are happening in the Nexus as a whole. There are all sorts of opportunities for community service and Org promotion to be found if you ask around. Go ahead and pop into public threads so you can work on HALO’s relations with other groups and the common person.

Fighting HALO

Villains, please read this...
  1. Conflict is great! It's the heart of any story, and there isn't much to roleplay without it. However, there is an important distinction between “In Character” conflict and “Out Of Character” conflict. In communal roleplay, it is considered polite to check in with the players who are active at any given time before launching an attack.
  2. Not everyone wants to roleplay combat scenes, and sometimes there are other things going on that players don't want to interrupt for a random fight. Come over to the Discord and talk it out amongst potential players.
  3. Also bear in mind that HALO is home to a considerable number of high powered PCs. Just because they are used to more social RP doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t put up a stiff resistance to any attackers. You may find Nexus players more willing to scale their characters’ power levels if you raise the subject ahead of time!
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote:Foxes on the Run

"Yes, that feels right. It - um, when we conversed with her, it was the first time I was ever aware of her, and - well, she felt very... different than me, I guess. Maybe a bit more single-minded, but... she seemed to know a lot more than I did." There's a flash of realization in Anastasia's eyes when Jaahlyn mentions the thought of there being a "day" and "night" side to the mind, and she seems to want to voice it before glancing towards the satyr and suddenly remembering herself. She couldn't betray the secrecy of what she'd done that fateful night, but... well, if this was a creature of dreams, she had been asleep before it happened.

"And, well - I'm willing to give it a shot, at least, see if it works. If I start to feel any... different afterwards, well, um - we can figure out how we want to deal with it if that happens." It's admittedly rather unnerving, the thought of potentially suppressing some aspect of her personality - but, Ana supposes, it's not too different than taking anxiety medication. See if the prescription changes what they want, and continue with it if the side effects aren't too rough.
Shadowcaller wrote:Foxes on the Run

Jaahlyn audibly clears her throat. "Well, if I shall speak from my experience as fey then I should point out that if there's a clash of interest between two different minds, or masks as we call them-" She clarifies for the sake of Ana and Kitty. "-then that will manifest in some way. And the greater the conflict the more likely Ana is to notice the chaffing. Which in this case likely will manifest as nightmares and such." She gestures at Ana. "Imagine them as lov-"

A beat.

"Ah, close friends, since who could be closer than those who share a mind? Sometimes it might be necessary to end a relationship even with the closest of friends but it will always be painful and the pain only grows the further apart you are."

Zhareen strokes her chin thoughtfully. "It might have its downsides, but there's always remedies for that. In fact, we do have sleep aids that should help with the nightmares in the compound." She nods and grins encouragingly to Ana, which might be somewhat undercut by the sharpness of her teeth.
[Foxes on the Run]

Vax nods. "Yes there's undoubtedly the concern of complications and nuance to how we'll approach this. We'll have to play it by ear, however." She remarks. "We'll need some time to research. We have your contact information, so you'll hear from us soon."
~Images by Soushiyo
FireFox
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

[Entrance Hall]

A gorgeous arctic foxgirl with slicked back black hair steps out of pod airlock and nervously smooths her black pencil skirt and fluffy white tail. She starts walking towards the offices, heels clicking and purse clinking. When she gets to Reinholdt's door she'll knock twice and focus her magical senses inside to detect heart beats.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Foxes on the Run

Anastasia raises her eyebrows. "Nightmares? Um, I think I can deal with that - I mean, it's not like I don't get them already, honestly," the fox admits with an awkward smile. "Still - um, I appreciate you letting me know. I have trouble with the ones I already get on rare occasions, so if these do start intensifying things for me... well, it really means a lot that you're willing to offer me ways to help deal with any of the side effects I might get." She can't slip out to Eliseo's every time she has some serious night terrors, after all.

The foxgirl nods in understanding as Vax closes things out, though there's a note of disappointment in her expression. That probably isn't much of a surprise - she had, after all, expressed hopes to learn what was wrong and be given some form of treatment plan "today" rather than "soon". "Of course, um- thank you so much for your help, both of you. I look forward to hearing from you soon."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

The arctic foxgirl will hear five heartbeats! Oh no, wait, that's just one heartbeat going five times as fast as he starts out of his nap. Goddesses above, he'll never get used to people knocking on his door. Doors were absolutely the worst invention ever. Reinholdt should just have his removed.

Until then, Rein gets off the paper stack he was sleeping on and stretches, climbing off the desk and into his chair before turning into his humanoid fey form. He runs a hand through his hair and grabs a mostly empty glass of whiskey, going to hide it in a desk drawer before thinking twice, downing the last of the whiskey, then hiding the glass... and that mostly empty bottle too. That doesn't need to be there.

Finally, he clears his throat and loudly replies, "Come in!" The office itself is cozy. Nice rug, nice chairs, fancy desk, liquor cabinet, bookshelf, and even an antique looking record player, though it's actually one of those faux new ones that just look antique. A glowing purple crystal sitting on the desk stands out as does a red hood hanging on the wall for decoration, which is odd because it looks old and tattered with holes. You usually want something nicer looking than that. Finally, there's Reinholdt, looking out of place in his overly fancy office chair.
► SHOW SPOILER
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[Reinholdt's Office]

The foxgirl opens the door and walks over to the desk swiftly, before her nerve deserts her. She offers Reinholdt her hand and a smile. "Hi, I'm Callie Pyrsol. I heard you were hiring researchers?"

This is such a dumb approach, what was she thinking acting like this was a fresh start. Of course he remembers her. Knowing what she's done, why would he let her anywhere near his girlfriend, his kid. She half expects he'll pull a gun from his hammerspace, which would definitely make this enter her top three worst job interviews.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Aug 02, 2022 1:59 am [Foxes on the Run]

Vax nods. "Yes there's undoubtedly the concern of complications and nuance to how we'll approach this. We'll have to play it by ear, however." She remarks. "We'll need some time to research. We have your contact information, so you'll hear from us soon."
[Foxes on the Run]

“Of course, Ana. I’m just glad we’ve given you some hope.” Zhareen remarks as she slithers up to the teenager.
Then there’s a moment of silence as she gives her an empathetic look. “…would it be okay if I gave you a hug? I know it’s uh, awkward for a girl your age but- well, it’s what I do. Even to my own students.” Her hugs were legendary in the compound.

The way Jaahlyn awkwardly rubs the back of her head suggests that now even she has been spared from the hugs.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Foxes on the Run]

Vax simply nods. She makes no remarks on hugs. She knows her wife's ways.

"Yes, thank you." Kitsuki agrees, despite the tension in her voice. Though now that this is done, for now, the real trial begins. She's absolutely not ready.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Foxes on the Run

"Oh! Um-" Anastasia blinks. "Sure, of course." And with that, the two presumably exchange a hug, and the two foxes will set off back to the entrance of HALO with Jaahlyn in tow.

Once Zhareen and Vax are both out of earshot though, she may feel a hand on her shoulder as Anastasia leans in. "Hey, uh, are you okay? You seemed like, really tense back there."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

Reinholdt's eyes widen in recognition, though he does take her hand and shake it, his expression becoming more quizzical than anything. "Uhh... yeah. I know who you are Callie."

They've shared many... things together in the past. Good to see she's gotten over her fear of getting Kyne murdered at least. Rein throwing himself onto that blade wasn't completely wasted.

"Do you... know who I am?" Rein asks. He needs to figure out if Callie's being weird or if it's a memory wipe/alternate universe Callie/Doppelganger or other shapeshifter/Time travel Callie from a previous point in the timeline than the time travel Callie he met (wouldn't she look younger?)/a twin raised in secret by Angela to also be Callie for some overly complex Vulpanian special ops. Or if he just drank too much.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Foxes on the Run

There will big a big, tight, hug which Zhareen is sure Ana has always needed.

But then they're off again (on the run apparently?) with Jaahlyn in tow. Or more accurately in the lead as she knows her way around here.
As they're starting to talk among each other she starts to walk slightly further ahead so she doesn't accidentally listen in. This was clearly not her business.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[Reinholdt's Office]

Despite being embarrassed to the point of pain, Callie doesn't run away. Her ears twitch backwards, but she sits down and tries to smile through it. "Y-yeah, haha. I couldn't forget you even if I lived a thousand years, Rein. I was just... hoping to apply on my own merits. Without baggage." It's not clear if she's talking about her personal issues or their shared past. Either way, she starts to blush and has to focus before starting her pitch.

"I've been working at GLoG's MedLab. Learning from Doctor Druid and METIS, practicing my magic, studying illnesses... He's closing the lab to do, um, different things and suggested I come here if I was serious about growing as a magical scientist. Which I am."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Foxes on the Run]

"Um, it's kind of complicated. She just reminded me of something..." Kitsuki shakes her head. "It doesn't really matter, honestly."

Not that her agitation has let up, it's just from another source. "I need to talk with someone before we go. Can you two wait by the shuttles? I'll try to make it quick."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Foxes on the Run

"Oh." Anastasia blinks. Well, it didn't seem like it was really fine, and she wanted to know more about what it was that was going on - after all, if they're going to be interacting with these people often, it seemed important to ease things over.

But there didn't seem to be a moment for her to insist further here, and there was clearly something else on her mother's mind. So instead, she nods. "Um, sure. We can wait, if you need."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Reinholdt's Office]

Oh ok, good. Phew. Callie was just... being Callie Rein supposes. She always did do exceptionally extreme things because of anxiety for as long as he's known her. Rein hopes Callie talks to Sophie about her deep seated anxiety issues.

"Apply? Uhh... there's no application process here Callie. If you want to join HALO, well, we'll be happy to have you," Reinholdt assures the foxgirl with a welcome smile.

"So... a magical scientist." It's a step up from domestic and international terrorist. But it's also a little vague. "So, like the study of magic in general? What sort of things will you need for your lab?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Reinholdt's Office - At Another Time Hopefully]

"Okay, see you in a bit." Kitsuki turns and walks off. She's looking for Rein, of course, and the first place she knows to check is his office. If she doesn't find him there she's going to have to ask after him.
~Images by Soushiyo
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Felandria’s Office

Felandria hangs a sign on her door that reads: Available for any member needs.

Just in case!
Beans
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[Entrance Hall]
The shuttlepod door slides open with a hiss. Out steps an indigo-haired woman with horns, hooves, four arms, and a tail. She adjusts her glasses as she looks about. "Certainly a change of scenery, at least..."
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 08, 2022 6:55 pm [Entrance Hall]
The shuttlepod door slides open with a hiss. Out steps an indigo-haired woman with horns, hooves, four arms, and a tail. She adjusts her glasses as she looks about. "Certainly a change of scenery, at least..."
Felandria arrives to greet the newest arrival.

Greetings, welcome to HALO.

I’m Felandria, the co-leader of HALO, how may I be of assistance?
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Entrance Hall]

The execuloth woman looks up, up, and up at Felandria. "Ah, just what I needed---my name is Staphis, and I am interested in joining this organization. I understand research is a focus at HALO, and I have a particular interest in magical education, though I'm well-equipped to contribute to a host of other efforts." The scars across her face don't detract from her handsome looks---at least, to most they don't. She offers one of four hands, reaching out and up to the tall redhead. "How involved is the process of joining?"
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm [Entrance Hall]

The execuloth woman looks up, up, and up at Felandria. "Ah, just what I needed---my name is Staphis, and I am interested in joining this organization. I understand research is a focus at HALO, and I have a particular interest in magical education, though I'm well-equipped to contribute to a host of other efforts." The scars across her face don't detract from her handsome looks---at least, to most they don't. She offers one of four hands, reaching out and up to the tall redhead. "How involved is the process of joining?"
Felandria accepts the handshake.

Not especially difficult, mainly you just need to answer a few questions.

Like……..are you evil?
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Gullara wrote: Aug 05, 2022 6:10 pm [Reinholdt's Office - At Another Time Hopefully]

"Okay, see you in a bit." Kitsuki turns and walks off. She's looking for Rein, of course, and the first place she knows to check is his office. If she doesn't find him there she's going to have to ask after him.
[Reinholdt's Office - Catlamity]

Reinholdt was just getting settled back in, when yet another knock makes him reconsider the bottle of scotch he had half open. He sighs and taps the cork, as if to nudge it back into place, before slipping the bottle back into his cabinet and returning to his chair.

"Come in!"

The office itself is cozy. Nice rug, nice chairs, fancy desk, liquor cabinet, bookshelf, and even an antique looking record player, though it's actually one of those faux new ones that just look antique. A glowing purple crystal sitting on the desk stands out as does a red hood hanging on the wall for decoration, which is odd because it looks old and tattered with holes. You usually want something nicer looking than that. Finally, there's Reinholdt, looking out of place in his overly fancy office chair.
► SHOW SPOILER
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Entrance Hall]
Felandria wrote: Aug 12, 2022 6:05 am Felandria accepts the handshake.

Not especially difficult, mainly you just need to answer a few questions.

Like……..are you evil?
Staphis shrugs. "Do you want the philosophical musing, or the practical answer? The latter is a no, though I'll admit I've probably been rather unpleasant in past centuries. But once you turn the corner of your 3800s, you start to see things differently. Anyway, no, I'm pretty sure I'm not evil."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

And so Kitsuki does. The first thing Rein is likely to note is that the fox is very pregnant. Her belly juts far out from her body, quite clearly holding more than a single child, and two would be a modest estimation. She's pulled some of her old maternity clothing out of storage, a blue dress with a green ribbon tied under her belly to give her some kind of shape, even if that shape is 'round'. She may be especially tired these days, but she spent extra time on makeup this morning to present herself immaculately. Unfortunately she can't help but waddle as she enters the room. Pregnancy is a pain.

"Hello Rein." She greets. Her face is full of uncertainty right from the get go. She really shouldn't have to be here in this situation. It's an absolute mess, and she expects it to be a disaster soon enough.
~Images by Soushiyo
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 12, 2022 11:15 am [Entrance Hall]

Staphis shrugs. "Do you want the philosophical musing, or the practical answer? The latter is a no, though I'll admit I've probably been rather unpleasant in past centuries. But once you turn the corner of your 3800s, you start to see things differently. Anyway, no, I'm pretty sure I'm not evil."
Well, good enough for me.

Let’s see about finding you a room, welcome aboard.
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Entrance Hall]
Felandria wrote: Aug 13, 2022 5:57 am Well, good enough for me.

Let’s see about finding you a room, welcome aboard.
"Splendid---I believe I'm only the second of my kind seriously involved with HALO, if my research is correct. Were you here at the same time as someone named Tsiln? Blonde, four arms, wings, horns, et cetera?" She adjusts her glasses. "It was quite a ways back, I'm told."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Reinholdt's eyes alight upon Kitsuki's pregnant belly and a wave of dread washes over him amidst a sea of confusion. His gaze darts up to Kitty's face, which holds no comfort in its timorous expression. His eyes continue to dance along her body, always returning to lingering upon that portentous bulge.

"..... Hello Kitty," Reinholdt replies in a cautious daze, all thoughts he initially had about offering her a drink long since evaporated.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Can I have a seat? I've been standing since I got here and it's killing me." Assuming the answer is yes, Kitsuki goes and sits down, sighing with relief. "So how much do you remember about the last time we saw each other?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Felandria

Post by Felandria »

Beans wrote: Aug 15, 2022 1:18 am [Entrance Hall]

"Splendid---I believe I'm only the second of my kind seriously involved with HALO, if my research is correct. Were you here at the same time as someone named Tsiln? Blonde, four arms, wings, horns, et cetera?" She adjusts her glasses. "It was quite a ways back, I'm told."
I think that might be before my time, sadly.

In any event, allow me to show you around, let’s find your quarters first.
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Entrance Hall > Hallways]
Felandria wrote: Aug 16, 2022 6:43 am I think that might be before my time, sadly.

In any event, allow me to show you around, let’s find your quarters first.
"No? Ah, a pity---but no matter, yes. Getting settled in is a good idea."

It doesn't take long to find an unoccupied room; Staphis even takes a few moments to use illusion magic to test out theoretical rearrangements of the furniture!

"I have some books relevant to my studies---I'll probably be moving them into whatever my work space ends up being. Speaking of which, shall we get that nailed down?"