HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: HALO CLXXXV: The Titles End Here

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fairy Tales]

Under the gaze of her wife and a cat Zhareen have brought up a handkerchief with picture of a colorful crab sewn into to dab her forehead with nervously as she suddenly seems to be sweating. Or at least her forehead is.
So when Rein changes the topic she looks quite relived. "Uh... El?" She suggests with a nod. "Short yet powerful. Easy to remember and write down."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 10, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Fairy Tales]

"I'm not sure that many will think a pet skeleton is 'cute'. After all a walking skeleton is in most cultures unholy or abnormal. Better go with a dog or cat or so." Mr. C says looking confused at the group as nea none seems to mind that. Is Halo a cult of necromancer or something like that?

"EL? Seems a bit to short and might be spoken L, depending on people.
I don't feel that 'power' you mention. Maybe it's bound to your culture which makes it different for people not from it?
I suggest Jane or something that is already common for the people. Making some young people feel connected to her.
Still I wouldn't make it an everywoman and more a everyperson."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Morbid Adventures in Medical Science]

There are only a few personal effects Dulcinea might spot. A photo of Dorota with... a clay golem, it seems. Alchemical journals and papers. Notes. A romance novel. The alchemist herself seems to intensely focus on her work.

When the experiment has run its course, it stops smoking or steaming and a hissing sound escapes from it. Dorota covers the pot with a heavy lid and turns back to Dulcinea. It's hard to say if the experiment went well or not.

"Now, what can I help you with?"

[Fairy Tales]

"I like Jane. It's plain and suits our purposes," Dorota agrees. "But yes, given what we know this story is unlikely to manifest physically. It might manifest itself in people's memories, but it's hard to predict."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Hm, things are kept pretty meticulous here. She's very orderly, probably doesn't appreciate nonsense either from how stern she's been at the get-go. And not a lot of personal touches around here either - it's possible she's just so strict that she refuses to let it leak in, but her gut says it's because this woman doesn't really have much of a life outside her work. The golem is interesting though. It must be important if a lady like this would go through the trouble of framing it.

"Ah! Well, it's quite simple, really," Dulcinea responds, feigning as if she'd just snapped out of idly staring into space these past couple minutes. "I understand your organization is about helping people, and I'm rather interested in trying to help the public good. Because - well, you see, I'm dying." She rests a hand on her chest and offers the scientist a wan, friendly smile.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dorota frowns. Well, this is awkward. How does she respond to someone who opened up with that?

"I'm... sorry to hear that. Are you looking for our help?"

No, wait she said she wants to help HALO, not the other way around. But that doesn't make any sense.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Dulcinea doesn't get to answer the question before she's interrupted by another knock on the door. "Anyone home?" Comes a to Dorota familiar voice on the other side.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"Oh no, it's -" Dulcinea begins, the very air of catlike nonchalance when a new voice cuts her off. "Erm- hello?" She cranes her neck to try and get a glimpse of the new visitor, suppressing a flicker of disappointment. it was a little perverse, but seeing people get caught off-guard and flounder at that was the one bitter silver lining of fun to her whole miserable situation!
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

By the gods she no longer strictly believes in...

"I'm here, Zhareen. And I have a guest. Come in."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Aha!" Zhareen gently opens the door and slithers inside. She's wearing a teal poncho with the forth tower logo of a monolithic black tower on it.
As she enters her gaze is immediately drawn to Dulcie. "Oh gosh, a girl! Has she come to join, uh, your alchemy club, Dorota?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dorota isn't sure what to make of Zhareen. Giant snake-women with a bubbly personality aren't something she's well-equipped to handle. She doesn't take well to sociable and extroverted people in general... her ex-wife being an exception.

"I don't believe so. She claims she can help us."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"Oh! Yes!" Dulcinea recovers well, affixing Zhareen with a dazzling smile. Cheery, positive - she'll probably be a more receptive audience. "In a way, at least. As I was telling your compatriot, I think I may have an offer that your organization could find of interest."

"I am dying, you see - bone cancer, rather terminal. We've tried everything we can think of; chemotherapy, radiotherapy, brachytherapy - that one was fun by the way, had to social distance." The teenager leans against the counter, rattling each one off her fingers. "We even tried magical means. Healing magic, generally - none of which quite managed to take. Which seems to suggest we may be dealing with something cursed or anti-magical in nature."

"Now-" the girl looks from one figure to the other. "I'm not coming here in some desperate attempt to beg you into trying to save me in my most dire hour. As far as I understand, things have progressed to the point that I am clearly finished, and I am hoping to make my last months as pleasant as possible. I also understand, however, that HALO is a venerable institute of learning and research. The kind of place that would want to work out a mystery like this and spare others from experiencing it."

"In short..." At this point, Dulcinea can't help a sly grin from spreading. "I suppose you could say that I'm offering to donate my body to science!"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Fairy Tales]

"Women are people too," Maria quietly informs Mr C.

"Skeletons can be cute. Have you never celebrated Día de los Muertos, Halloween, or Spooktober before?" Reinholdt asks as he writes down El with one tally mark and Jane with two tally marks under potential names.

"Besides if we make her too generic, the story's just going end up being boring and an uninteresting story won't take hold in the consciousness of the people." The Everywoman needs some character traits of her own if she's to truly resonate with the audience. "Maybe we can make it so that the skeleton is that of a pet who just loved her so much, it came back to play with her after it died? So a little loyal skelly dog. Plenty of people have lost pets and would understand the kind of love present there."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Help HALO?" Zhareen inquires as to differentiate them from the tower when she turns to look at the visitor again.

The words that come out of the girls name causes her eyebrows to raise though.
Dying with cancer?
It was words she thought she'd never hear together. Since cancer was a word she herself had used many times but in a FAR different context.
A very peculiar name for a disease it was. Far too fun for something that apparently was so lethal.

"Oh you poor darling dear." Zhareen remarks and will slither over to attempt to pat Dulcinea on the head. But as she does, she glances at Dorota. "Is there anything you can do to honor her request, Al. Glińska?" The 'Al' apparently being a shorthand for 'alchemist' wherever Zhareen is from. Normally the warlock just called her Dorota when they interacted but it seems she has some sense of professionalism and this girl could be considered her patient.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fairy Tales]

"Oh gosh, a skelly dog is just a brilliant idea, Reinholdt." Zhareen remarks, looking as if she's about to squee with delight the way she's grinning and folds her hands together.
If Zhareen could jump she might have been doing that now out of excitment... if she wasn't a professional.
Who was doing very professional things.

"I'm- ahem motioning support for that." She adds with a glance at Vax. "And... I don't feel too strongly about the name. Jane is fine if it's commonly considered 'plain' in other, uh, places. Never even really heard that name before actually which is funny." She had but she just couldn't remember it.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I- what?" Dorota asks after a moment of heavy silence. "I don't use dead bodies in my research. And I'm not sure about the legal aspects of it."

[Fairy Tales]

"I can see a skeleton pet working," Dorota concedes.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Felandria wrote: Mar 09, 2023 3:53 am Oh god, Venus, I’m so sorry.

As I said, if you want me to go down there and help you take it back, you just say the word.

In the meantime, all HALO members get their own bedroom here, so I would hope you’ve been able to get some rest there.
[Hall]

Venus bites her lip.
And she thinks.
"Yeah, yeah, I was offered a bedroom, so don't worry about it: Reinholdt said he'd look into getting a greenhouse for me to rest in," she says. Apparently, a bedroom hasn't been enough, as shown by how tired she looks.

Back to thinking, though. She thinks some more. Should she ask Felandria to help out with the cultists? Would that be the right thing to do? Being tired isn't helping her think through it completely, so she instead decides to think aloud.
"I do want it back," she says. "I probably want to be left alone, but also I get lonely really really easily, so I don't...I don't know." Venus sighs. "Most importantly, though, I really don't want them to get hurt. I've been trying to come up with a plan to take my place back without anyone getting hurt, but I just...I just can't think of anything. And, I mean, I really don't want to threaten anyone again, either, and..." She looks up at Felandria. "Well, if you already have an idea to take it back without anybody getting hurt, then I'd love to have you do it. If not, that's fine, I'll just keep on trying to come up with a plan, and if I can think of one I'll ask you for help."

[Fairy Tales]

Venus is a little uncomfortable with how similar 'Jane' is to 'June' but figures it's probably okay. Yeah, 'Jane' is a lot more plain, so there's no way it'll cause any problems. But it's just close enough that she spends a little too long thinking about it and forgets to give any input.

After some time to collect her thoughts, Venus asks another question: "Do you already have someone to write this story?" she asks. Or, is someone here going to do it? She asks this because it was just mentioned that it needs to not be boring or uninteresting, and so it probably needs a good writer.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Dulcinea puts on a very practiced expression, the kind you wear when you enjoy the attention but want to appear humble about it. There is, however, a brief flash of alarm when Zhareen’s hand gets close, and she lifts her own to politely stop it just an inch above her lilac hair. ”Sorry, I- the gesture’s appreciated.” The smile that follows seems genuinely awkward and apologetic.

Really? Darker eyebrows hike up an inch when she turns to Dorota, as does the pitch of her emotive voice. “I wouldn’t have thought that to be an issue for a place such as this - I mean, plenty of the various Riverside governments have legal processes for it, and organizations like yourselves already have tenuously-established legal autonomy anyways. Have my parents and I sign a couple of informed consent forms, make sure I update my will - it should be simple, really!”

“And as for the material focus in the first place - well,” the girl puts on that dazzling smile once more. “It might be a bit more… biological than the usual materials you seem to prefer, but it’s all just matter in the end. I certainly won’t be able to walk about and pester you once I’m dead and buried.” A beat. “Sorry, not buried. Symbolic gravestone nonwithstanding, I suppose.” A real shame, too. Don’t they understand what a sacrifice it is to willingly refuse the earth such a beautiful corpse?
~Welcome to Night Vale
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Fairy Tales]

"We're writing the story right now," Reinholdt tells Venus. That's what this meeting has been all about! They'll worry about exact words and such later. Sentences are just metaphorical shackles in the sea that is creativity.

"Alright. Our heroine's name is Jane and she has pet skelly dog named... something. We'd better nail down the primary start point then," Rein says, returning towards the middle of the board. "Does she recognize there's something wrong with the Banished King story or is she displaced from her home by a power mad king?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Zhareen doesn't seem offended by the way Dulcinea reacts to her petting attempt. Quite the opposite as at the first sign of alarm her hand stops. "No, no, no, I used to have hair too. I know what it can be like when people try to touch it."

Then she listens to the girls argument, seemingly nodding in agreement to it. "Oh yes, the skeleton in my office was in fact donated to me by an elderly man. It's completely legal where I'm from so I assumed it was here as well." Her expression becomes thoughtful for a moment.

"Not that the situation has come up until now."

The merfolk turns to Dorota. "Though... what would you do with a dead body? Are you also practicing necromancy, Dor- uh, Al. Glińska?"
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 19, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I do not practice necromancy." Dorota seems to answer Zhareen first. She glares at Dulcinea with mixed incredulity and indignation. "And I don't know what I'd do with a dead body. I can't keep it in a freezer until I think of something."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"Erm- yes," Dulcinea agrees, "it can be a little uncomfortable." There's a brief flicker in her eyes as if something else had occurred to her at the moment before the topic shifts.

The girl's eyebrows shoot up as Dorota turns her focus on her, and she raises her hands. "Apologies, but I don't think it would be such a big ordeal - I mean, as far as I understand there isn't much of a reason why you can't just huck me into a freezer, long as you have a unit big enough that you're not forced to mangle anything." Again, another shockingly unaffected take on her own mortality. "Besides, I don't think any of it would require knowledge on necromancy whatsoever, excepting perhaps an arcane preservation of the corpse. Just medical, alchemical and arcane, probably."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Ah, that's a real shame." Zhareen remarks as Dorota proposes her lack of necromantic knowledge. "Since I've heard that some tower necromancers are able to extend a life well beyond the expiration of the body." She rubs her chin thoughtfully while then casually waving at Dulcinea.

"And she's right, Al. Glińska. Preserving a body is actually fairly easy." The warlock nods sagely.
"But speaking of necromancers, would you be donating your soul as well, Dulcinea?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Fairy Tales]

"My point was that I'm still not sure to keep it JUST a Woman."

"I would still go for the story point." Mr C says.
"Just to clarify we need this story to 'wake' people up and lower the influence of the king in Rags? In that case the story should give people a hint or better said a connection to themself. I admit the idea of a everyperson as a protagonist might damage the story as it should still entertain people, but the whole plot should make people think that They could be in that position."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Fairy Tales]

"That's... not the goal at all," Reinholdt clarifies. "The goal is to weave a weakness into the King in Rags' story or make him not as scary. If we wanted to tell people about the Banished King, we wouldn't need to make a story about it, we'd just tell them. In fact..." Reinholdt rubs his chin in thought, pondering it more deeply. "Presenting the idea that the King in Rags can mess with people's minds and history on such a large scale would probably invoke fear not lessen it, giving him more strength. Now that I'm thinking about it, I suspect the only reason he hasn't made the fact known himself is a lack of credibility such assertion would have and a desire to keep to the shadows. But I don't think he'd shy away from being terrifying in the open if cornered that way. This meta idea is going to backfire on us." Reinholdt ends up crossing it off as it clashes with the objective.

"So we'll stick with Jane and her skelly dog getting kicked out of their home by the King upon his return to power. It's got a nice parallel to how the Banished King was kicked out and also wanted to return home so we can weave that nod in to the previous story." Tie ins help keep things consistent. "We want Jane to overcome her fear of the King, so we're looking at getting her face to face with him at the end. So I'm guessing the next part of the story is having her travel to the creepy castle to confront him. Should she encounter one of his minions along the way? What do we know about them?"
Last edited by Reinholdt on Mar 22, 2023 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fairy Tales]

Zhareen raises her index finger. "Uh, that a dragon serves him?" She looks between the gathered. "...right? Since I actually saw a vision connected to that. How it attacked vigil and as far as I can tell it came true even if we don't know the details of it. Dragon slaying is a fairly traditional aspect of a hero's story that would fit in neatly."

There's a silence as Zhareen waits for a reply from someone when she suddenly seems to remember something. "Wait, didn't a dragon expert join you guys?"

Once again her words seems to hang in the air until Ambrosia raises her hand. "That would be me." She pauses, considering. "And well... dragons are powerful beings and we wouldn't want to give the reader the impression that the king is the ruler of them. So perhaps in this story the dragon isn't actually serving him at all? In fact, it might just be a rumor that it does and once Jane finds out it doesn't the dragon ends up helping her in some way."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Fairy Tales]

"I don't think she should go straight for his castle. Maybe the dragon is controlled by the king to serve him, but Jane frees the dragon who then helps her get into the castel. Controlling a powerfull creature either by mind or other ways allways gives peopel an 'vil guy' vibe."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Fairy Tales]

"... Where else would she go if not to his castle?" Reinholdt asks Mr. C. Alternatives have to be offered.

"Dragon it is. Maybe mind controlled, but maybe not. It has to be evil, but the power the King holds also has to be blatantly superficial once Jane peels back the layers. So maybe Jane talks to the dragon and finds out it isn't mind control at all, but just suffering from some old fashioned blackmail and convinces the dragon to turn on the king and help her? It was planning to anyways?" Reinholdt mulls. "Maybe it flies her over the swamp moat at the front of the castle."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dorota waves her arms in a futile, frustrated gesture.

"I'm a materials and transmutation alchemist, not a medical one. I'm not going to keep a dead body for a rainy day."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Dulcinea raises an eyebrow. "Undeath? I mean, I've considered it, but - well, a lot of the corporeal methods are far too rot-prone for my liking, and I don't think I could bear vampirism. People would have to give me permission to enter, and even beyond that it would - aheh - probably preserve my current situation. I'd be dying of cancer literally forever, I'd imagine." Unless doctors find some esoteric means of curing cancer in an artificially preserved being, which is always possible considering the state of the Nexus. The girl raises a delicate hand to cover her mouth when she coughs.

The mention of her soul seems to catch Dulcinea off-guard, pausing in the process of retrieving a handkerchief and wiping her hand dry of a rather unpleasant streak of phlegmy red and yellow. "Erm- what? No, I- I don't imagine I would. Body's the one I'm actually leaving behind, y'know?" As casual as the dismissal might sound, there's a light in her ice-blue eyes - the possibility had never been considered before, and now she seems to be actually mulling it over.

Dorota's objections go unremarked for now, as absorbed in Zhareen's own remarks as she is - which may be unfortunate or a needed reprieve, depending on how she looks at it.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Depends on your definition of undead, dear girl. Most of its uh, not attached to any body any more. Or at least not anything rotting." Zhareen remarks absentmindedly as if she just forgot what she asked Dulcinea.

Until she actually answers that question of course. "Oh, of course. You know where your soul goes when you die then?" A beat.
"Hmm... I really should ask miss satyr about that..." She turns to Dorota. "Al. Glińska, would you be a dear and make a note for me? I know I will forget otherwise. I can be so scatterbrained. The truth that is."

[Fairy Tales]

"It has to be evil?" Ambrosia inquires, unsure if she had heard that right.

"Dragons are like rulers, right? Rulers are usually evil." Zhareen reasons.

"I suppose there's some truth to that." The scholar reluctantly admits. "But it would be misrepresenting a lot of dragons in the nexus and some dragons aren't too keen about that sort of thing. Speaking from experience of interviewing a lot of them."