Reinholdt's Repository IV

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Reinholdt's Repository IV

Post by Ironsmith »

[Warehouse]

Exstacy continues to stare at the letters with a frown. She doesn't like this. Not one bit. If she can't spot a trap, that probably just means Ilpholin hid it too well for her to see it. Even if there's not something up with the letters themselves, she's still locked in a runic circle she can't hope to escape without some outside intervention; really, the "trap" could easily be that nobody's due to come into this warehouse for a week, after which point she would have long since died of thirst.

...Actually, come to think of it, that's probably a pretty sound reason to assume the letters aren't booby-trapped somehow. No sense on wasting the resources if killing Exstacy is as simple as just not letting her out.

Still, she doesn't move in for the letters just yet. She's actually starting to get a little invested in the conversation.

"Marianne's clearly out of her gourd." Exstacy calls back, crossing her arms. "If it weren't for you and your nonsense I'd be leading a pretty good life right now. A nice house, two successful careers, more money than I actually know what to do with, no personal enemies, and a pair of the hottest girlfriends any world can provide. You ever been fucked by an angel, Ilpholin?" She gives the speaker a harder glare. "I don't think so. You wouldn't be the bitter bitch you are if you were."

The succubus puts her hands on her hips and keeps going, her confidence starting to flare the more she talks. "This is my afterlife. I don't care whether you think it's a particularly good one or not; it's my life and I'll be damned if I'm going to let anybody else decide how I'm going to live it. Especially not some knife-wielding lunatic who just copped to wasting her limited time on this earth killing people she hates, without even putting forward something that might justify it." The succubus raises her fist toward the speaker and gives it a thumbs-down. "Even demons kill for survival. You don't even have that excuse." Her tail swishes behind her irritably. "...Honestly? I feel kinda bad for you. The judge I ran into the first time around said I wasted my life being selfish. Maybe they were right; fuck if I know. But at least that only made me miserable for the most part."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

"I'm sure being bombed at your own concert and hunted by your former employers speaks volumes to your successful careers and lack of enemies," Ilpholin replies dryly to Exstacy's lifestyle boasts.

"Oh. Oh, I'm being judged by the demon who just admitted they refuse to accept judgement. I'm sorry I didn't share my incredibly shallow and selfish motivating factors with you. I don't divulge that sort of thing before the third date you see." The speaker has no eyes to roll, but Exstacy can probably visualize it from the tone. "So demons kill people to survive. But then when people kill demons it's... not survival? They should really stop and just take it, huh? Let the demons kill people without them fighting back, it's only fair."

"Hmm. Well I don't agree with that. Or you. But as I said, I've found a better way and I'm going to break the entire system with your help. Those letters are all yours by the way." They just sit there, being Melody's precious fan letters. Unmoving. Unblinking. An inevitable constant of the universe. You could call them...

Stationary.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Warehouse]

"You lost the right to claim self-defense when you went after Melody." Exstacy fumes. "...Actually, you lost it when you went after Marianne."

Exstacy wants to say more, get out some additional catharsis by screaming at Ilpholin, but the relative calmness of her reply seems to suggest Exstacy is really only working herself up, if anything. Better not to push it any further; she's had more productive therapy sessions with masonry.

That also means she can't really put off addressing the letters any longer. Ilpholin clearly wants her to take them. Exstacy clearly wants to take them. And she probably isn't saving herself if she doesn't take them. So she probably just should.

As her fingers brush against the first envelope, though, Ilpholin's words seem to finally get to get enough for her to hesitate. Something still isn't right.

"...What do you mean, 'with your help'?" Exstacy frowns. "I offered my help a minute ago and you blew me off. What exactly is it you want if-"

...Oh no.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

Oh yes. The second that Exstacy's fingers brush the envelope, it tilts ever so slightly, imperceptibly, moving exactly the way a package of envelopes naturally would if lightly brushed. And no more.

"I didn't blow you off. You've given me everything I wanted. Or could expect at any rate. Thank you for your assistance." There's a quiet click that resonates through the speakers. Back where Exstacy first entered the warehouse the door opens once more, cutting off the runic circle and releasing the demon barrier. "You're free to go."

If Exstacy fully picks up the bundle of fan letters, she'll find no ill effect occurs. A thorough search of them now or later will turn up no tracer, technology, magic, biological weapon, nor any other means of malevolent intent contained within or without.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Warehouse]

She already- what? What?!

Exstacy does take the time to thoroughly examine the letters, her paranoia creeping up into overdrive. What could she have possibly given Ilpholin that would help her "take down the system"? For that matter, what could she possibly have given her, period? She's not going to be leaving behind anything more than maybe a few stray hairs and dead skin cells. All she's really done so far is just say some things. Which, granted, might not be the best look to their audience if they got out after some heavy editing, but they weren't exactly cosmology-destroying, and Ilpholin had picked a terrible environment for recording anyway.

No, no, there's definitely something going on here she still isn't seeing.

Maybe that's because it still hasn't happened.

Ilpholin's lied to them before. It wouldn't be surprising if this whole encounter was designed to get her hackles up somehow. Or if she was just waiting for Exstacy to turn around and go home, back to Euphoria, and-

...Ugh. This whole thing is just giving her the worst feeling in her stomach.

...Maybe there's still one way she can turn this around. Figure out something before she goes.

"...For the record." Exstacy begins, brushing her bangs out of her face. "If you're really after the Devils... we would totally have helped you. On purpose."

Not that the offer would mean much. But maybe making it would still reveal something.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

For a moment, the silence suggests Ilpholin wouldn't reply or isn't even listening anymore, but the awkward tension passes when the speaker crackles to life once more.

"Oh?" The door shuts again, bringing that demonic barrier back online. Perhaps it will hold against the Devil's scrying techniques. There's no reason not to try. "And how would you have done that? Marianne seems convinced that the Devils are untouchable. I would have thought you of like mind." Ilpholin is listening to what Exstacy can bring to the table to fight the Devils.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Warehouse]

"I am, yeah..." Exstacy begins nervously as the circle closes around her again, her hair standing on edge as the runes re-energize. "...But clearly you aren't. And though I can't say I'm a fan of the hows and whys, you're much more experienced with this kind of thing than I am. Maybe you've thought of something I haven't."

Buttering up her ego in among all of this wouldn't be a bad move, right?

"...And I do kind of have an audience of a million or so demons who might be willing to listen if one of their favorite artists had something to say." She adds. "Provided it's in their best interests- which getting rid of the Devils would be- and I can sincerely endorse the message. Whatever your plan is, that wouldn't exactly be unhelpful, right?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

"I don't know if I'd say that." A plan relying on a demon to act a specific demonic way is risky, but certainly feasible. A plan relying on a million and one demons acting a certain way? It certainly can't be a lynchpin to a plan. If any of those demons decided they had a better chance of getting in good with a Devil and prolonging their life that way, well... people turn to their abusers often enough, even if it hurts them in the long run.

That's not to say there's no potential there. At the moment though, Ilpholin can't honestly imagine a good way to leverage it. A distraction? Force the Devils to clean up their house as it were? To what ends? Perhaps something will come to her. "But I'll certainly keep that in mind going forward and get in touch with you again if your connections end up being relevant."
► SHOW SPOILER
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Reinholdt wrote: Dec 08, 2023 6:38 am [Around the World in Eighty Posts]

"Why, do you want to see the armory with the laser rifles?" Reinholdt asks with a smile. "Honestly, I doubt I could find it again even if I did want to." There was a lot of running and screaming at the time.

"This though," Reinholdt says as he rounds the corner just ahead of Sylvia. "I wanted you to see." As Sylvia rounds the corner as well she can discover not more corridors but a sudden expanse. A wide field that looks more like a planet than a spaceship. There's even soil and upon it is just a stretch of flowers upon flowers. Alien in nature, but not in colors, as vibrant purples, yellows, blacks, reds, and pinks dot the landscape. Despite the unusual petals and stems and sways of many of them, they are ethereally beautiful.
[Around the World in Eighty Posts]

"Y-Yeah, good p-point, haha." Sylvia chuckles awkwardly. Definitely not a laser rifles girl.

And good thing she followed Reinholdt! Because as the lapin rounded the corner behind him, the sight that greeted her took her breath away. "O-Oh. Wow. It's... it's beautiful." A bit of understatment, but if you looked at the rabbits grey eyes you'd see that for once they look alight and bright as she takes the view in. Sylvia stands there, just gazing across the fields for a long while.

Eventually, if Reinholdt doesn't try drag her off to see other sights, she begins to sketch the gardens furiously out in the papers she grabbed. "I d-didn't even know s-such a p-place could exist... it goes o-on for s-so long, and, i-it's so pretty!"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Around the World in Eighty Posts]

Reinholdt isn't eager to drag Sylvia off to see other things. Sometimes you have to bask in what you've found! Besides, she likes it here. It may be the first time he's seen her quiver with excitement instead of fear.
... He thinks. It's a difficult quiver to parse.

"I thought you'd like it. Worth a galaxy trip at least." Reinholdt steps forward and flumphs down upon the field, causing an unusually thick, sweet scent to rise up. Impossible to place, being alien in origin, but nice. Too nice. Regardless, he seems happy to just lay there for a bit while she sketches, his eyes watching her more than the garden.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Dec 16, 2023 2:08 pm [Warehouse]

"I don't know if I'd say that." A plan relying on a demon to act a specific demonic way is risky, but certainly feasible. A plan relying on a million and one demons acting a certain way? It certainly can't be a lynchpin to a plan. If any of those demons decided they had a better chance of getting in good with a Devil and prolonging their life that way, well... people turn to their abusers often enough, even if it hurts them in the long run.

That's not to say there's no potential there. At the moment though, Ilpholin can't honestly imagine a good way to leverage it. A distraction? Force the Devils to clean up their house as it were? To what ends? Perhaps something will come to her. "But I'll certainly keep that in mind going forward and get in touch with you again if your connections end up being relevant."
[Warehouse]

Exstacy inhales in preparation to say more, but quickly finds herself at a loss for actual words. Ilpholin's ambivalence toward the idea tells her absolutely nothing... except maybe that Ilpholin didn't think much of her audience, but she already knew that. And she's not at all certain how to sell the idea any further, or if she really wants to; offering a demon hunter the means to get some subset of a million demons to do exactly what she wants, absent any transparency, is starting to sound like a very, very bad idea.

"...You know what? Forget I said anything." Exstacy finally huffs, sitting quietly and waiting for the circle to re-open.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

"... Sure." That right there. That Demonic fickleness. That's why any plan relying on a million demons to do something is doomed to fail from the start. It's just so completely untenable. It's dangerous even to humor the idea really.

"If that's all," Exstacy will sense the door reopening and can pursue the exit at her discretion.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Warehouse]

"It is." Exstacy confirms as the door opens. She still hesitates a moment, turning around in place until she can actually see somewhere a camera could feasibly be, before turning fully around from there and flaring out her wings, briefly flashing the camera before disappearing from view entirely. A demon hunter of Ilpholin's caliber probably has infrared sensors or something that would give away her less-than-dignified exit under the cover of invisibility, but every assurance Exstacy has that Ilpholin is no longer tracking her is one step further away from a panic attack.

Thank god that's over. Now she just needs to get home without-

...Who is she kidding? Ilpholin almost certainly is still tracking her. Going straight back home is probably just going to get them both killed.

Turning as she exits the warehouse, she makes her way toward the nearest crowd of people with whom she could plausibly blend in. With any luck, she can lose the tail she's certain she has.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

The door uncannily shuts behind Exstacy as she exits, probably only confirming the demon's paranoia that she's being tracked. The demon protection circle flaring up for a third time. Disappearing into a crowd certainly makes the demon harder to track, but once she's out of sight of the warehouse, Ilpholin stops caring.

Thick, ominous steps can be heard through the empty warehouse before the door to Jaahlyn's crate is reached. Clear sounds of it being unlocked and unlatched before the Phyrexian Nymph pushes the door open, standing in the entry way. "We need to talk," she says, meeting the goat face to face for the first time without disguises or screens.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

Ilpholin will actually find Jaahlyn on her way out of the crate as she reaches it. The nymphs appearance seems to startle her and she tumbles out of it onto the floor.
But the very next moment she's up on her hooves with her hands crossed over her chest and leaning against the crate. "Then talk. I'm all ears."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

Jaahlyn appears to be more all thumbs at the moment, her attempt at smoothing over her undignified exit not lost on the nymph. "You despise me," Ilpholin states, the issue simply a matter of fact. She tilts her head a little. "Why?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

Of all questions Ilpholin could have asked, Jaahlyn doesn't seem to have expected this one.
She takes a moment to muster up the mental fortitude for wherever this conversation were going and then narrows her eyes. "...because you go out of your way to kill people? Or 'demons' I guess. Whatever makes the silver glow, isn't that right?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

Jaahlyn sounds less sure than Ilpholin would have imagined. Though that does confirm a few things.

"No, no. Not why do you despise me. I mean, why are you helping me? To do this? To target Deathkiss and kill them anew so that they become angels, especially after fighting so hard to protect them in the first place? It's the only part of all of this that I don't get. Every step you've taken seems reluctant." There have been cues here and there.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

"Oh."

And here Jaahlyn had been trying to line up an argument only for Ilpholin to have asked about something completely different. She couldn't help to wonder if the vague question had been intentional, if only to put her off balance. One never knew with this woman.

But this gave her an opportunity.

"...so she never told you? I'm not sure how much you know about fey but the way our Laws work we can be made to perform tasks even against our own will. Which is what Marianne did, she bound me to serve you in this 'project' of hers." She can't help but to sound bitter about it. After saving her from the abyss she had gone and stabbed her in the back.
But now the task was almost complete though...
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

"I'm familiar with fey." Intimately familiar. With at least one. Blackmail was high on Ilpholin's list of guesses and she supposes this qualifies as such. But does that make this easier or harder?

Ilpholin motions around at the general warehouse. "Well, as you've probably already figured out, all of this was not for Deathkiss' sake. It was for yours. You were the one I was really addressing here. I want your help killing the Devils of the Abyss."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

"'The Devils of the Abyss'?" Jaahlyn echoes, having to take a moment to comprehend the gall of this woman. One moment she points out that the satyr despises her and the next she's asking her to help her to kill what seems to be the most terrifying beings in the plane Deathkiss was inhabiting.

Yet...

"You have a plan for that?" As much as she would have liked to tell Ilpholin to piss off the idea intrigued her more than she liked to admit.

Since much as she considered herself to just be a guide of the dead dealing it to some otherworldly prick was appealing to her for many reasons. Death, wherever she tried to deny it or not, was a part of her being and she couldn't help but to wonder if Ilpholin was using that to manipulate her here.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

Well it wasn't a hard no. That's something.

"Parts of one," Ilpholin admits, one of her arms holding the other. "Nothing as cohesive as I'd like. Not yet. I need to learn more. To study them like they're studying me. Either I need to meet with the founding angels of Elysium or I need to borrow one of Elysium's perfect scrying mirrors and use it to review the Devils' very existence from conception."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

"And what would my role be in that?" Did Ilpholin know about the fact she had gained fame in Elysium or was she making some assumptions here?
"Since I assume you had something in mind by asking me specifically." Since as Ilpholin herself had pointed out, they weren't exactly friends so there had to be a good reason for this.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

"You've been up there before haven't you? You have the ability to traverse between realms do you not?" Ilpholin says, tilting her head a little. Was Jaahlyn just playing coy now? It's not like there are a lot of psychopomps that can walk into heaven around to choose from. "Exactly how to approach this depends on which of those two things you feel most comfortable pursuing."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

Here she was wishing Ilpholin would be more specific but she guessed not. "I can but going up is harder than going down." People tended to be far more willing to enter the good place than the bad place. For this reason they were more focused on keeping people out than in.

"I can probably manage though. But let me ask you this in turn then, were you or were you not expecting me to just go along with this plan free of charge?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

"I see." Ilpholin would love for a much more specific plan, but her knowledge of the place and people up there is too shallow to formulate a cohesive one. Part of the reason she needs Jaahlyn's help.

"I must admit, payment didn't really cross my mind. I figured aligning our goals to be a much more important motivator than goods and services. So then let me ask you. Do you want the Devils dead?" The nymph watches Jaahlyn's face closely. If they're not in agreement on this point, then there isn't much purpose in pursuing a partnership.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

Well, that gave her a better idea of Ilpholin's mindset at least.
"Promise me that you won't harm anyone I care about, unless they happen to be a demon. As determined by the silver. Does that sound reasonable?" She proposes rather than to answer Ilpholin's question. Since she felt it was enough of one.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

Ilpholin narrows her eyes a little. One does not idly offer fey promises. "You do realize that doesn't include the remaining members of Deathkiss, don't you?" They cause silver to glow, like all of the Abyss demons and Elysium angels. "And I would need some way of knowing who you care about in order to properly fulfill such a promise. Do you have their names?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Warehouse]

"Yes, I'm aware. But would you actually promise not to hurt them instead?" Jaahlyn counters as she just realized that she didn't want to hand Ilpholin a list of her loved ones. And it would be a long one too if those outside the nexus were included.

But she also wasn't sure if Ilpholin would actually promise not to hurt anyone she identified as a demon.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Warehouse]

Ilpholin eyes Jaahlyn for a moment longer before replying. "I promise that so long as you and I are working to kill the Devils of the Abyss, or have succeeded, that I will not harm the current members of the Deathkiss band: Exstacy, Euphoria, Mania, and Malady, except out of immediate self-defense." This whole show of giving Exstacy the fan letters back was to prove Ilpholin was serious about this after all. She can ignore two demons in the long run, even if it makes her physically sick to her stomach to do so.
► SHOW SPOILER