The Scorching Depths

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: The Scorching Depths

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"Aww, you're so fuzzy." Mary scoops up her sister in her arms. "Okay. Here I go." Mary's legs twist and flow together and grow and grow and grow until her lower body is that of a gigantic snake, taking up most of the space on the floor of the bottle. "Now I can reach." Mary rises on her coils up to the opening. She stuffs Bella under one arm so that she can grab the rim with the other. Then she lifts her upper body out and starts sliding down the side of the bottle, pulling more and more of her very long body out until she starts sliding uncontrollably.
And then there's a rush of wind and a strange feeling of expansion and the girls land awkwardly onto a hard floor. They're in a very normal sized room made from grey stone. Behind them, on a shelf, sit a number of normal-sized bottles, many containing miniature monsters or storms or even tiny buildings. There's no sign of any giant bottle big enough to hold them.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

It's true.

Bellabun is very fuzzy.

Have you ever seen a rabbit with a spade shaped rabbit tail?

Now you have.

Bella does her best not to panic at all when her sister starts getting snake-y. She doesn't a pretty good job of not wriggling too much. But then suddenly they're out and on the floor and apparently they had been shrunk? Bella is now a normal sized infernal bunny instead!

In so far as anything about an infernal bunny is normal.

She'll wait for her sis to put her down first before changing back since she's still clutched under Mary's arm.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
Mary sets her lapine sister down. "Wow, look at all these! You think they're all shrinking bottles?" She doesn't bother to shapeshift her legs back. She's told Bella before that she kinda likes the snake tail. It's powerful and graceful... If a bit overly large for many spaces meant for human inhabitants.
"Hey, we've gotta steal this one," Mary points out one bottle in which a galleon in full trim is sealed. "It'd be so cool to have our own pirate ship." It might be more prudent to find a way out of here. There is a door, a heavy steel barrier with a narrow slit at eye level. It's barred from the other side.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

And thus Bella is put down, whereupon she changes back into her succubus form with absolutely zero issues.

...if you ignore the rabbit ears.

Just don't pay any attention to those. Surely she knows that she forgot about them, right?

Haha who are we kidding of course she doesn't know. She's bad at shape shifting, remember?

"Yeah, probably? Where are you gunna keep it?" Bella reasons as she forms her ash outfit again. No way she's gunna be going on this adventure with nothing on. "Do you see our regalia anywhere? We should probably try to find that if it's in here."

Is there anything else aside from the bottles?

If not, she'll try peeking through the slot in the door. Obviously the dumb thing is locked. An extra precaution, probably.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"I dunno, I'd just hang onto it," Mary says, proving she isn't thinking things through at all. "Psst. Your ears." Although maybe sensitive rabbit ears will come in handy? The constant thunder might make them a little awkward though.

"No they must've moved them somewhere else."

Through the slot in the door, Bella can see a narrow hallway with metal plates spaced intermittently along the floor.
At the next peal of thunder, the plates begin sparking with electricity, then it dies down again a couple moments later.
It's a trap, but not a concealed one.
"What do you see?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

To be fair, having your very own stolen pirate ship would be wicked sick.

"Oh! Right," Bella says, flushing slightly with embarrassment as she grabs her ears and yanks them down to her chin. She closes her eyes and focuses aaaaaaand-!

Nope.

They aren't going away. She gives an exasperated groan. "I'm no good at just changing parts," she huffs, releasing her ears and allowing them to sproing upright again. "I'm gunna have to turn into a rabbit and back again but fighting with that right now's probably dumb."

They have more important things to do.

As for the door?

"Buncha zappy plates all over the floor. But it's got a bar across it. I think I might be able to pull it loose," Bella says as she sends black ash streaming from her hand. She tries looping it around the bar and pulling the thing. "This is so much easier with shadow magic," she grumbles.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"You should really talk to mum about that, I'm sure she can help." Mary learned her shapeshifting from Sekhmet... Well partly. A lot of it was learned by watching what Sapphira did when she was possessing Mary, but Mary doesn't like to admit that.
The ash trick probably won't work here. A heavy steel bar isn't easy to lift without good leverage. If Bella could manage a more solid appendage, she could do it. Or Mary could probably shapeshift something to get it open but is Bella going to just let Mary solve her problems?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

...this is something Bella has been trying to get better about.

See, she's adamant and stubborn. She doesn't like to feel like she's giving up.

But...

She's also got lotsa friends with different sortsa talents that she hasn't go. So instead of beating her head against a door maybe it would be better to work together? Mary's shape shifting had gotten them out of the bottle. But it was Bella's idea and, quite frankly, much more intense fire magic that had blown the lid off the bottle in the first place.

"I can't get the lock; I can't grab it very well with the ash," Bella admits. "Do you think you can get it?"

There.

That wasn't so hard, was it?

Yes.

Yes it was.

But it's still important that she did it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
If Sekhmet was here, she'd smile knowingly. She's aware Bella is trying to work through this issue.
Mary is not so perceptive. "Sure, I got it." She reaches out a hand which becomes a flexible octopus arm, stretches it through the slit in the door, and pulls the bar up, then steps back from the door and turns it back into a normal bony arm.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Personal progress is definitely important.

"Let's get outta here,"
Bella says as she shoves the heavy door open. "Just be careful of the floor panels. There's lightning zapping through this dumb fortress constantly."

Not that she knows much about the subject.

Just that it seems like an ever present hazard.

No doubt the maggot demons are just as immune to lightning as the sisters are to heat.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"Lightning? Like they were shooting at us?" Yes, Mary. Exactly like that. "All right, let's see if we can find our regalia," hopefully the maggot demons haven't done gross maggot stuff to their clothes.
Mary slithers out into the hallway and looks at the size of the metal segments. "You could probably jump that far, I think. You go first and I'll follow." She seems to have a plan to get her entire massive snake-body across without touching the metal sections of floor.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

A massive snake body really doesn't seem like it would be useful when you're playing 'The Floor is Lightning (because it is)'.

Either way, Bella gives a nod, gets a running start, and then LEAPS with a flap of her wings!

Just sail right over that lightning plate!

She's in pretty good shape so that shouldn't be TOO hard. Especially with her wings assisting.

Once she's on the other side she'll turn back to her sister. How the heck is Mary going to get across?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
Mary watches Bella glide past the traps. That's a lot easier than what she's about to do.
She presses one section of her coils against the left wall, and another against the right, and repeats the process all the way down her length. She's supernaturally strong as it is; and snake coils like these, optimized for constricting, can exert a lot of force. She slithers forward and slightly upwards, using the force of her coils pressing against the walls to hold herself off the ground. It's a lot slower than Bella's method but Mary doesn't feel like getting rid of her snakeyness.
She slides down to the ground at the end of the hallway and quickly coils herself up to prevent any straggling part of herself from getting onto the electrified plates. There's another steel door, unlocked and unbarred, and Mary pushes it open quietly. "Guards in the next room. Three of them."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Huh.

Bella wouldn't have thought of that.

But whatever works, right? She scoots over to the door along with her sis, giving a quick nod to the mention of the guards. This problem she can definitely take care of. Without much in the way of hesitation Bella conjures a hellfire ball in her palm and hurls into into the room, resulting in a pyroclastic explosion. The flame and force of the blast is bad, but now the room is filled with pitch black super-heated ash as well. Bella immediately darts into the room, her senses unhampered by the swirling ash, with the intent of finishing off the demons while they're blinded in burning darkness.

Khannie has very strong compunctions against taking life.

But Bella? Well... demons are already dead, right? So that doesn't actually count. It's like dealing with smarter zombies or robots or whatever. Also she's really mad right now.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
Mary flinches. She's a lot less willing to just kill demons than Bella is. The smell of ash assaults her nose, but it's actually not an unpleasant smell to her. The heir apparent slithers into the room behind her sister.
As for Bella, her trick works, allowing her to burn down two of the demons, but the last realizes where she is and lunges at her with a sword crackling with lightning. "Bella!" Mary cries out.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

It's definitely a weird place for Bella. Demons feel like they fall into the undead category for her. They had their chance already and they blew it. They're nearly all irredeemable monsters, just monsters that are more clever than your average skeleton.

Khannie wouldn't do this.

That's not even a question.

She would be trying to incapacitate.

But Bella has neither the ability nor the predilection to use non-lethal force against demons.

And she's doing pretty well! Until the sword comes out. Bella gets straight up impaled by the sword and- Huh. That didn't feel quite right. Almost like shoving a sword through really compact ash instead of-

Oh there's Bella, swooping in from the side to cold-clock the demon with her full strength.

Bella can't do illusions.

But she CAN do mental stuff, another subject she's been learning about! And with the right suggestion it isn't that hard to convince someone that the Bella-sized mass of ashes is the real deal. If it were out in the open only the dullest would probably fall for it, but inside an ash cloud where it's already hard to see? Just takes a nudge or two.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
Yeah that's clever. Bella punches the demon in the side of the head. But it doesn't feel right. It feels even more wrong than stabbing the ash duplicate.
Heads don't squelch when you punch them. They definitely don't cave in like a rotting fruit around your fist to form a warm, wet cavity full of writhing maggots. The demon blindly slashes at Bella based on where her fist caved in its head.
Meanwhile, Mary is trying not to retch because that looks gross.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Okay yeah that is SUPER gross.

The sword pierces through Bella's ash 'armor' and there is an immediate pyroclastic explosion at the point it's breached with enough force to toss Bella away with some violence. The effect is probably worse for the maggot-demon, though, thanks to the intense heat. Bella thumps against the far wall and struggles up, her arm numb from where the lightning sword got her.

Mary is clearly having a bad time. Bella can't quite bring herself to call for her sister's help. If she doesn't wanna roast the demons Bella totally gets it. But that means all the disgusting hard work is gunna fall to herself.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
Another maggot-demon dies. Mary tries not to look sick and fails.
"Let's get out of here." There are two doors, both identical steel. From one, the sounds of wind and thunder are louder. From the other comes the smell of blood and rot. "We've got to find where they put our stuff."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Bella approaches Mary, rubbing her arm. "Try to hang back, okay? You're still recovering and I can take whatever these jerks throw at me," Bella says, trying her best to sound brave. She's scared, of course. This is a bad situation. But being scared in no excuse to shirk her duty. She might not Mary's minion, but Mary is the heir apparent and Bella needs to keep her sister safe.

Glancing briefly between the pair of doors, she looks back to Mary. "Are you gunna be alright?"

Clearly Mary is distressed by the violence.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"I don't like killing people..." Mary's fought witches and familiars and a couple types of monsters before but to her, the demons, even these hideous maggot-ridden ones are still people. "Let's just get our things and get out of here." Two doors. Thunder and wind of blood and rot? Which is the less horrible option?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

"I don't like it, either," Bella admits.

But her duty first and foremost is to keep Mary safe. And these demons aren't exactly gunna be all friendship and flowers about it.

Now then.

Doors.

Thunder and wind sounds like it probably leads outside. They'll need to head outside eventually but not yet.

That just means...

The gross smelling door.

Ugh.

Gross smelling door it is. Bella will pull it open a crack to look inside.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
The next room is horrific.
Blood and rot drip down the walls, and swarms of maggots infest every crevice. Mary takes one look inside and backs away. "Nope. I can't do it. I can't go in there." She hates bugs. She's absolutely terrified of them and doesn't want to be around them.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Yeah nah.

That's not gunna happen.

Bella shuts the door again.

"Okay stormy door it is," she mutters as she opens the OTHER door and hopefully doesn't get shocked for her trouble.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
The door opens and lets in a blast of wind. Beyond is a narrow stone catwalk over a seemingly bottomless abyss over which a storm rages. At the other end, a tower hovers in midair. Mary looks over the edge. "Whoo, that's a long way down. Too stormy to fly safely too." They'd be at risk of being blown off the catwalk walking. Flying is probably out of the question.
"I think I can wrap my tail around it and hold on, but how are you going to get across?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Well now Bella is frowning at the blasting winds scouring the catwalk.

Whoever designed this place DEFINITELY didn't have safety in mind.

Not even a little bit.

"Maybe I can just try hanging onto you?" Bella suggests.

She's bad at shape shifting.

She has no idea how to turn into a snake, let alone grow a huge snake tail or sticky finger pads.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"We can try it..." Mary thinks Bella really needs to practice shapeshifting more. It's a useful tool (and a lot of fun) and she needs to get over feeling gross about it. "It'd be so much better if you could cross on your own."
Once Bella has grabbed hold of Mary, the serpentine succubus will wrap her tail around the walkway tightly, and then slither forward. It's slower than running but considerably safer.
Hopefully Bella can keep hold over the long passage.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Frankly the deadly windy bridge probably isn't the best place to be practicing.

At least not in Bella's estimation.

Thus!

She does her best to hang on!

Hopefully nothing really surprising, unexpected, or weird happens while they're slinking their way across the stormy expanse.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
Nothing weird happens as they cross.
Well.
Except that somewhere along the line, Bella goes from clinging to the back of her serpentine sister to clinging to the back of her gigantic dragon sister.
This is normal. Mary's been a dragon since Thanksmas (well, not all the time, she's in succubus shape mostly). She changed to the shape instead of the half-snake one because it's good at climbing and heavy enough the wind can't blow her away.
Anyone familiar with the telltale signs of continuity snap will recognize that two timelines have just merged together. Mary, unaware of continuity snap entirely, freezes up. "What just happened? I could swear something just changed."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Nope.

Nothing weird going on here at all.

Just Bella hanging onto her sister's absolutely gigantic dragon back. Thankfully she has that furry mane and ridge for Bella to really grab onto it. That works way better than trying to cling to scales. Bella's jostled a bit, but otherwise she's fine.

"What do you mean?!" Bella shouts over the sound of the storm. "The wind picked up a little I think? Maybe that means they noticed we got out, we should probably hurry up!"

They don't want to dawdle after all.