The Scorching Depths

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: The Scorching Depths

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Mary doesn't really get Bella's hangup over her chest size. She feels like her sister should just accept her succubosity and not worry about it.
But that's not the point right now, the point is FLYING!
"On three! One, two, three!" And Mary jumps, the wind of her freefall blowing her mass of curly hair back behind her like a raven-black cloud. She waits until she can feel the heat of the lava rising from beneath her, then spreads her wings wide and slows into a glide. "WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!" it feels so good to fly again after so long of being cooped up.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

Are you kidding?

One of Khannie's defining features is her irritation over her body not matching her perception of herself. That's what her whole Magical Girl wish was over. She's so adamant on this that she's apparently able overcome even the natural predilections of a succubus. She COULD just accept it. She COULD just let her default form balloon out to whatever a succubus with so much infernal magic burning in her bosom is supposed to look like.

But.

BUT!

That would be giving up.

That would be letting it win.

And Bella's not a quitter OR a loser!

Okay enough fuming time to jump.

Suffice to say Bella forgets about her ballast problem pretty quickly.

"YEAH!"

This is definitely pretty cool. It's just like rocketing through the air when she was Olympia! Or flying when she was Phelsie. Honestly it's pretty much exactly like flying as Phelsie. The faewyld dragon's wings were WAY bigger so there wasn't quite as much flight magic involved but yeah! Just like remembering how to ride a bike!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Mary just thinks Bella should change her self-image rather than her body. That's the realistic thing to do.
Mary swoops to the left, then to the right. This is why succubi have wings. Not because they need them, but because it's fun.
"This is great, don't you..."

KRAK-A-THOOM!!!

Was that a lightning bolt? It sailed right past, moving upwards. That's not right, right?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

Probably.

Maybe she'll come to that conclusion on her own eventually? But Bella will definitely have to come to it on her own.

Bella had just pulled into a corkscrew pattern above a pretty strong updraft when suddenly LIGHTNING! She ends up flapping awkwardly to make sure that she doesn't fall out of the sky.

"What the heck was that?" Bella yells, first looking down to see if she can spot where it came from. Is some jerk shooting friggin' lightning bolts at them?

She sure hopes not.

Today was supposed to be pleasant.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
"Lightning?" Mary wonders, unwisely swooping closer in the direction the bolt came from. "There's no one there. Wait..."
KRAK-A-THOOM!!!
A lightning bolt lances upwards and hits Mary squarely in the chest. The demon princess drops from the sky, her clothes smoldering.
Is there someone down there? It's really hard to see. A lot of ash clouds are being kicked up, but by what?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

Well, whether there's someone down there or not is largely immaterial because Mary just got struck by lightning.

"MARY!" Bella shouts before tucking her wings and going into a dive. With Mary flopping around like a ragdoll she should be falling more slowly than Bella is, especially with the powerful updrafts. As she dives Bella cranks up her infernal magic to full force, igniting like descending comet and causing the air to begin sweltering around her. It wavers with heat to the point that the air itself begins to glow around her, leaving a luminous trail of burning air, crackles of lightning, and black ash.

Obviously the heat won't bother Mary or Bella for that matter.

Maybe she's just trying to obscure herself with the ash cloud to make her harder to hit?

As she dives closer, she'll try to grab her sister and then flare her wings, potentially launching herself into the ash cloud and vanishing from view.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Mary falls. Bella catches up to her in a screaming comet of smoke and hellfire.

"No doubt. These are the ones."
"Bring them in. Alive."

As Bella dives to catch Mary, another lightning bolt is hurled at her. But it's a distraction from the real attack, which comes from the nearby cliffs. With a metallic clunk, barely audible compared to the roar of the thunderbolt, something is fired at the demon princess... A wide net of metal fibers. And if it connects, before she can burn or cut her way free, it will pulse with electricity to send her into unconsciousness.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

The lightning bolt comes arcing up toward Bella and Mary, sure to strike true-!
-only to veer off to the side, dispersing through the electrically charged ashes and ionized air surrounding the succubus princess.

Bella beats her wings with all her might, hefting both herself and Mary into the pyroclastic cloud and out of sight. She doesn't even see the net fired at them with her attention elsewhere, but then again those firing it might have trouble figuring out where the pair of succubus are located in the billowing cloud of ash. The cloud isn't some insubstantial thing; it's a mass of super heated pulverized rock. When the net smacks into the ash cloud it loses much of its momentum and falls short of its prize.

Her vision unhampered by the ash, Bella is looking around frantically now to try to figure out where the attacks are coming from. She can hardly fly with Mary in tow and unfortunately she's not really liking her chances of slowly flapping her way back toward the carriage. Her smoke-screen is buying some time but if these jerks are persistent it might give them a minute or two at best.

Without any real clear target, Bella hurls a hellfire ball down toward the general direction the lightning bolt came from. The projectile will explode like a tiny strato-volcano eruption, more a blast of rending force and scorching black ashes than corrupted fire.

"C'mon, Mary, wake up! I dunno if I can do this on my own," Bella pleads.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Mary stirs weakly but doesn't respond to Bella. The heir apparent is evidently pretty badly stunned.

"Targets are using volcanic ash as a shield."
"Then disperse it! What the Hell am I paying you morons for if you can't think for yourselves!"
"You haven't paid us yet, ma'am."
"One more impertinent word out of you, bounty hunter, and when I'm finished with you, you'll wish you were a vapid whore like them."

The unseen attackers (their camouflage spell is top-notch. It has to be, since they specialize in operations within other fiendish domains) change tactics after the failure of their electrical attacks. Instead, one of them located in the base of the valley begins conjuring a whirlwind, a twisting, sucking vortex similar to a whirlpool in water. The winds begin to buffet Bella, and with her unconscious cargo, they have a very good chance of knocking her from the sky.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

Mary you aren't helping.

When the winds begin kicking up Bella finds herself lurching around in the sky, her cover rapidly diminishing. They're easy targets in open air so she begins diving again, this time with her sis in tow. She ALSO begins hurling more volcanic orbs toward the ground, absolutely peppering the area she's planning to land in.

For two reasons!

First she's hoping to get whoever was shooting at them to run for cover.

Second, she's covering the rocks in a layer of ash in the hopes that'll soften the landing a bit since she's likely to come in hard.

Today's fun with flying has NOT turned out as fun as the sisters had hoped.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Diving again is smart. A ballistic object is going to to be harder to throw off course with strong winds than one that's gliding with spread wings.
Smashing into the ground, ash or no, is not that smart. The succubus body can survive a lot, but that doesn't mean it won't hurt.
Which brings us to the real problem. Bella is carrying a dazed Mary. She could let Mary take the brunt of the fall; that would probably give Bella a chance to keep fighting. Or she could take it instead, probably suffer some broken bones, and hope that the jolt of impact wakes Mary up.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

Bella doesn't nosedive straight into the ground. That wouldn't be a particularly great idea. As the earth approaches she'll flare her wings to arrest her velocity but shes still coming in pretty fast. She takes the brunt of the impact, something cracking as her breath woofs from her lungs and Mary gets pitched free from her grasp. She took most of the force to save the unconscious Mary injury. After all, her sister is still recovering.

That really really REALLY hurt.

But she can heal pretty quick, right?

Hopefully quick enough.

One way or the other, Bella cries out in pain as she tumbles to a stop in the ashes, hissing through her teeth as she tries and fails to push herself upright.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Mary stirs. "Uugh. What happened?" She pushes herself up to her hands and knees but she's still disoriented. "Bella, are you all right?"

To make matters worse, shapes are emerging from the ash clouds kicked up by the impact. They look human at first but as they become clearly visible, their true nature is revealed. They resemble humans crossed with maggots in misshapen combinations. Their flesh is dotted with festering wounds, in which more maggots squirm and writhe, a far cry from the attractive, well put together demons of the Depths.
"Found them!" one shouts. Another is dragging a heavy steel net. "I've got them." The net is thrown over the two succubi.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Blistering Mountains]

"Got zapped, been better," Bella hisses through gritted teeth.

She remembers quite well how it felt when she got stung by Mary-possessed-by-Sapphira. She remembers what it felt like getting melted from the inside out. And frankly a few fractured bones that can heal up isn't THAT big a deal compared to getting turned into a succubus.

And then flyguys!

Bella tries to stand up but nope that definitely isn't happening. She gets shoved into the ash by the weight of the net.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Blistering Mountains
Mary too is knocked into the ash by the net. "No, no!" she manages to shout and flings a ball of fire outwards. Two of the surrounding demons ignite. Their inhuman screams as they burn are horrifying. Mary blanches. She's not a killer and she can't stomach what she just did.
"Still got some spirit in you," the apparent leader comments, "Not that it will help." He raises a hand, plump white maggoty fingers pointed, and a bolt of lightning arcs out and into the net.
And after a moment of pain, blissful unconsciousness will follow.

Meanwhile, the intruders are busy. The guard and nightmares are slaughtered, their remains disposed of in the lava. The carriage is left where it stands, and a freak windstorm handily removes any tracks from the ash. The operation was a complete success.

-> ???
Bella will awaken to the sound of thunder. The floor beneath her is cold and smooth. She can hear steady breathing from nearby.
When she opens her eyes, she'll find herself inside a structure like a gigantic glass bottle. Mary is sprawled out next to her, still unconscious.
Apparently, during the time Bella was out her broken bones regenerated.
The sound of thunder continues in the background.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Those poor horses.

Though when Bella finally wakes up she isn't thinking about them.

The pain is a distant memory, all her bones feel like they're properly set. She shoves herself upright, leaning against the inside of their prison. She frowns at it, wrapping on it with her knuckles. A frown that deepens into a scowl.

With a inarticulate yell she hauls back, pyroclastic flames building around her fist, and PUNCHES the wall.

That's absolutely something Bella inherited from Khannie.

Got a problem?

Try punching it!

Those kangaskhan instincts are hard to shake even to this day.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

???
Thunk!
Bella punches the glass to no real effect. Now that she's looking at it, maybe Bella can see that the bottle(?) seems to be positioned at the edge of a huge void. To the left and right, the blurry shapes of identical bottles can be seen.

"You're awake already," A shadow falls over the bottle. A huge gauntleted hand... No, not a hand, a mass of maggots in the shape of a hand (gross!) closes around the prison and easily lifts it. Mary stirs as the chamber rocks back and forth "Huh wha?"
"Go ahead. Keep trying to break free. See where it gets you." The massive voice sounds disgusted with the two young succubi.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[???]

Well.

She tried, right?

But then there appears a disgusting maggot hand thing!

Wow. That sure is something Bella could have gone her whole life without seeing.

She makes a repulsed face when she spots it, flaring her wings to keep her balance as the bottle is lifted. As soon as Mary begins stirring Bella scuttles to her side. "We got zapped again," she informs her sister, ignoring the booming voice that probably belongs to the gross hand.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

???
(I forgot to mention the girls were stripped sometime before they regained consciousness)
"Since you worthless 'princesses' are awake, I need you to record a message for me." A second hand removes the stopper from the bottle and forces a squirming maggot larger than either girl into the prison. The verminous creature descends on a silken thread. "Repeat after me. First the heir apparent to that trash fire of a kingdom, then the other one. Now. Repeat after me then turn around. 'I have not been harmed in any way since my capture.'"
"I have not been harmed in any way since my capture." Thoroughly grossed out by the maggot... Recording device(?), Mary still complies. What else is she going to do? She doesn't see any good options.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[???]

Wait they took Bella's clothes?

Even her regalia?

Okay that's just awful. Especially since it means those gross maggot people touched her. That's all KINDS of ew.

"THERE'S A GROSS AS HECK MAGGOT GUY HERE SEKHMET COME KICK HIS BUTT!" Bella helpfully adds to the recording while Mary is busy making her hostage statement.

What?

He didn't say Bella couldn't say anything while this is going on. And yes Bella is absolutely being contrary. They stole her regalia!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

???
"Ugh. Children. That will have to do." The maggot is yanked back out of the bottle and the stopper is returned. Then the bottle is returned to its original place.
"Ugh, I feel gross. Like a trophy paraded out to show off to everyone. And all those maggots everywhere," Mary finally says, "I'm gonna have nightmares about them." Mary hates bugs of all kinds. She thinks they're gross.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[???]

Honestly? Bella isn't a huge fan either. She definitely inherited Khannie's dislike of creepy crawlies of all kinds. It really doesn't help that the first Cape thing she engaged in involved giant cockroaches that splattered all over her.

Just.

Ugh.

The worst.

"Just try not to think about 'em," Bella says as she moves over to her sister, glaring out into the void beyond. It's obvious this is a hostage thing. Usually that means the hostage takers want something. Exactly what demons might want Bella's got no idea. Souls or something? "You got blasted by that lightning bolt pretty hard. Are you doing okay?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

???
"I'm fine. I'd be better if I had some clothes. It's chilly in here." It is; it's much colder than the Depths or even the tropical island where the manor is.

Thunder rumbles in the distance... Again. It seems to be a pretty constant thing here.
"All the vermin and the thunder... I guess that means we're in the kingdom of Hatred? The Endless Tempest?" Finally a proper location tag!
"I dunno if they'll come back anytime soon. We should try to find a way out of here." Mary looks up at the stoppered top of the bottle. "Do you think we could get enough leverage to push that open?" It seems unlikely, it's bigger than both of them put together and its position way up in the narrow neck will make it hard to reach or get leverage.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Endless Tempest]

Bella thinks for a moment, then focuses on her infernal magic. Her whole thing is those pyroclastic flames. Fire and darkness. 'cuz even like this her magic always leans toward shadow and black volcanic ashes is probably the closest thing. Could she try shaping the burning ashes like she shapes her shadows?

Soot, ash, and flames spread across her. It isn't MUCH but it covers her up a little. Better than nothing, right? The ash sticks to itself sorta like snow. And with her magic helping it hold together it isn't too terribly long before she's fashioned a black 'outfit' for herself, the cracks in the caked ashes glowing an ominous red.

"Do you think you could do something like that with your flames?" Bella asks.

It might be hard. Bella's manifestation of hellfire is quite a bit more physical than Mary's.

Regarding the stopper she looks up and wrinkles her nose.

"We might be able to blast it out? If we heat up the air in the bottle enough it might pop the stopper."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

The Endless Tempest
"I've seen mum do it before let me..." Mary focuses. Flames lick across her chest and hips. "No use, I can't get it to hold a shape." But it gives her a different idea. She concentrates again and black scales with a slight red shimmer cover her body from her neck down to her ankles, resembling a skintight bodysuit. Of course she's still technically naked, but it's better than nothing. Mary gives a bit of a low chuckle. "I guess we have to dress like normal succubi for a while." They both tend to wear more clothes than this.
She considers the idea of heating the air up. "We can try, but I bet these guys are ready to contain powerful succubi and will have warded this... Bottle? Why are we trapped in a bottle? Um, anyway, warded this bottle against heat."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Endless Tempest]

Hypothetically, Bella could make a body suit like Mary just did. But she's MUCH more adept at the fire magic than she is with shape-shifting. She can turn into something else but she hasn't figured out how to express fine control by altering only parts.

Bella's outfit is more or less a body suit as well, maybe an inch thick or so. It needs to be substantial enough for the ash to cling to itself effectively. If she could make something more elegant out of the ash she doesn't know how.

At the mention of dressing like regular succubus she makes a sour face. "I guess," she sighs. Bella really isn't thinking about shape-shifting away changes to herself and she's been using QUITE a bit of magic and it definitely shows. Mary would probably assume Bella is only part way to her true form given how small she is compared to the average succubus.

But!

Escape plans!

"They probably warded the bottle against melting or getting blown up," Bella reasons. "But they might not have thought about warding the air INSIDE it. It's like a steam engine or a car, right? When the air heats up it expands like a hot air balloon. If we heat things up enough in here it might make enough pressure to pop the cork."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"Okay? Let's heat things up." Mary begins conjuring fire. Hers isn't so smoky and ashy as Bella's.
The air gradually begins to heat up. It reaches temperatures that would be sweltering, then painful, then lethal for normal people. Finally the stopper pops loose in a rush of superheated air. But there's a problem.
Mary looks up at the open bottleneck. "How're we going to get out?" The walls are too slick to climb and the neck is too narrow to fly.
"Maybe I could shapeshift into something?" They can't become inanimate objects, (like ladders) so what creatures could reach that?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Yeah!

Turn up the HEAT!

Bella is pretty glad that her plan worked! They popped the top on this thing like a bottle of sparkling beverage not from the Champaign region of France!

But now they're faced with a new problem.

How to actually get OUT.

"Can your gecko toes trick work on glass?" Bella asks. She's pretty sure geckos are able to climb on glass. They can climb on pretty much everything! They're really tricky lizards.

There's still a problem, though.

Bella is still bad at shape shifting. She doesn't know if she can turn into a sticky-toed lizard or not.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Tempest
"Not this glass," Mary says, demonstrating. "It's probably enchanted to be too smooth." Mary considers it some more. "I'm 5'6", right? And that opening's about twice my height, right?" Those statements are roughly accurate. "But if I just made myself taller, I would also get wider and I wouldn't be able to make it through. So I need to be taller without being wider... I think I've got it!" She looks at Bella. "Can you just become the smallest thing you can? Then I can probably carry you out once I've changed." How small has Bella been? Part of shapeshifting practice with Sekhmet is being transformed into different creatures and getting used to their shapes. Were there any small animals in that mix?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Endless Tempest]

Heck. Well, so much for half a good idea.

Bella nods at the question. "Yeah I've done a couple different things. I couldn't get SUPER small though. The smallest thing I managed was-"

And then she shape shifts, growing steadily smaller and smaller and smaller as her ears get longer and her body becomes fuzzy until at last there's a little infernal rabbit sitting at Mary's feet.

While Bella can turn into different animals so far she hasn't figure out how to turn into a NORMAL looking animal as opposed to one that's clearly infernal.

Again.

She isn't great at shape shifting.