The Scorching Depths

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Re: The Scorching Depths

Post by Recaiden »

[Sekhmet's Summer Party]
Earl of Purple wrote: Sep 29, 2022 5:11 pm"I am cute like this, aren't I?" Jack looks down, before turning to see her new shape in profile. Her breasts have grown, not much but... elves at least have boobs; jackdaws, being birds, might have a breast but don't have mammary glands to give them shape. She's still slim and androgynous, but not as totally flat as she was, and her dress has changed shape to fit. It did that itself; much like a succubi's garment, it's enchanted to change shape to suit its wearer. She doesn't have as much control over it as Sekhmet does over her dresses, but it's guaranteed to fit her whatever she looks like. "I like your wings, too." Jack's going to reach out and touch one, if Anchor doesn't stop her, trying to feel it. She knows its fake; the eyes in her wings can see through it as though it weren't there, but it's still interesting to feel it.
"I mean, you usually are cute. But now you're got those ears, those new curves - and you've kept the wings. Didn't think that was normal for elves."
Anchor doesn't try to stop her, in fact she lightly steps a bit closer to Jack, while cautiously stretching out the wings. That feels strange, to have another pair of limbs there, to be feeling something, however faint from what used to be nowhere.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory

Tags:
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Sekhmet's Summer Party

"Some elves have wings. And maybe it can't cover things that are really there as easily as it creates the appearance of new ones." And perhaps Jack's wings resist being changed by magical forces. "I do have curves, I like them." Jack grins and goes up to hold her new boobs, after feeling Anchor's wings.

She also turns to face the mirror and unfastens the top of her dress, pulling it low to look at her boobs without anything in the way.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Sekhmet's Summer Party]

Anchor's shadow, bored of the previous task, has come over to the vanity table, and borrows a bit of magic to flick open the jewelry box there. 3D makeup hardly ever shows in one's shadow, so it's of little interest, but everyone likes jewelry, right?

Anchor, still testing the movement of those wings by now folding them in close to her back, is herself quite distracted by a sight she catches, and turns to look at Jack's reflection as well, her face starting to color with a blush. Jack really just did that to get a better look at the mirror's changes.
"Thinking of any further changes? Or do you need to get a better look at what the mirror's already done?"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"I don't really think about it too hard when I use magic. Miranda replies, holding out her hand for Sekhmet to see. "It's... sort of just like flexing muscles I didn't know I had before. If I tug with this one, I get this result;" The skin on her hand shimmers from its usual red to a cooler violet, and just as quickly, back to red. "...And I suppose that's sort of literal as well, considering." She adds, her tail wrapping around one leg of her desk idly. "...In fact, if I do think about it too hard, I get a bit of a migraine. I don't think that's the venom talking, but there's a lot about this that's... sort of confusing, from a material standpoint. Where does all this extra tissue come from? How is it connecting to my brain so seamlessly? What exactly am I doing when I get mad and my hands get a bit hot?" She gives Sekhmet a sad little smile. "I know I sound a bit like Doctor Bu, but... that's sort of where we come from."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Sekhmet's Summer Party

"I just wanted a better look, really. These are quite enough for me, really. More'n the ears, anyway." Jack turns to look at Anchor before looking a little puzzled at Anchor's blush. "You've seen them before why... no, you haven't, I didn't have them." Jack's not the most bashful person, although if she didn't have history with Anchor she might not have been quite so quick to show them off.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Sekhmet's Summer Party
The jewelry box is locked, but springs open with magical intervention. Inside are several golden pieces inset with precious gems, all artfully crafted. Some of the pieces are mundane, others resonate with magic.
The question is, what is the shadow looking for?

Classroom
"There are a lot of theories about how magic interacts with matter in the way it does," Sekhmet answers, "But no concrete answers." She nods approvingly to the display. "Like with any skill, practicing will make it easier. And doing without thinking as a, uh, common way of wielding magic. It's less controlled, but more versatile. It's the way I, uh, do most of my magic. But in order to do that effectively, you need to practice using those instincts. The, uh, little bit of succubus in you can only bring you so far with it's, uh, limited power." She takes a quick breath, then continues, "The purpose of this exercise is to, uh, stretch out that reservoir of power. The more you practice drawing from it, the more it will be able to contain. Does that make sense?"

She turns to Mary for a moment. "While I help Miranda, you practice your shapeshifting. I know you can turn into a dragon easily, so be something else instead. Got it?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"...So very much like an actual muscle, then." Miranda confirms, giving a little nod. "I might be able to work something along those lines into my regular workout routine. Provided it's safe to do so." She looks down at her hands, which are both slowly oscillating from red to violet to blue and back again, then back up at Sekhmet. "...It occurs to me." She says, a sudden weight in her voice. "I'm specifically drawing on succubus essence. And from what I gather, most succubi around here replenish themselves through... certain means, which I won't go into detail about in present company. I know it's not everyone- you and your daughter seem to be pointed exceptions, as do those two Lethean ladies down the hall- but I don't think the venom that was injected into me came from any of you. So what I'm asking is, would that reservoir be replenishable by any other method? And if so, what?"

The basic option, apparently, is unacceptable to her. Or at least not feasible; Miranda's never mentioned having a boy/girlfriend, and while she's been willing to engage with some aspects of succubus culture, hyper-casual affairs were not among them.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"Not exactly," Sekhmet corrects. "While you did, uh, gain access to magic through exposure to succubus venom, you aren't a succubus and, uh, aren't beholden to... That. Every person, maybe every living thing has their own magical reservoir which fills on its own. The venom just opened it up to you, and gave you a, uh, a sort of affinity for the magic that succubi use. You could learn to do... That... to fill it faster, but that's not necessary and I don't want to teach it." She continues, "The reason succubi must do it that way is that they aren't alive. Their magic no longer, uh, recharges on its own." That will hopefully assuage Miranda's concerns.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"Oh, good." Miranda pats her sternum, in a "my heart can beat again" sort of gesture. "That would've been unfortunate." She cups her hands together, watching intently as a warm haze builds around the palms of her hands. "...Although that sort of begs its own question. If there's other ways to build up magic, including just being 'alive', would it be at all feasible to introduce them to the Scorching Depths? I'm sure there are at least a few succubi who aren't particularly comfortable with the status quo. And it'd go a long way toward getting them to see things the way you do if that particular point of contention wasn't so thoroughly ingrained."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Sekhmet's Summer Party]

All gold and jewels. Almost over the top, but, actually that's a style that they like. The shadow is looking preferentially at more magical things, bracelets and earrings preferred, things that to them would really stand out.

Anchor turns spins to face the real, non-reflected Jack, directing her eyes back up. "That's right. I mean, you didn't have as much to show last time. But really, it's that you were so- didn't hesitate at all." she says, with a sort of admiring tone.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Sekhmet's Summer Party

"Well, it's just us here, and we've both seen me naked already, and we'll do it again. So why bother trying to hide them?" Jack's not quite sure what they did that's so impressive, but... well, she spends a long time as a bird, wearing basically nothing. That's probably had an impact.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"I don't know." Sekhmet ponders the question. "There are other ways of doing it, of course, but all of them that I know of involve draining magic from someone else to replenish yourself. And I can't just make them alive again. That's, uh, well beyond my power. Draining life from people isn't very nice, regardless of how it's done. "Do you have any other questions, or should we get back to the lesson?"

Summer Party
Bracelets? Maybe the one shaped like two serpents coiled together, with emeralds for eyes, every scale picked out in minute detail? Or the one carved from a single large piece of ruby, with golden filigree wrapped around it like veins?

Earrings? Here's a pair of delicate teardrops, that seem, when examined closely, to be made from actual teardrops held into their glittering shape by magic. Or maybe the pair of tiny golden birds in flight that seem almost alive?
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"Loads. But you're right, we should focus." That was starting to sound like a dead end anyway. Put that way, boning each other to replenish magic was the decent way to go about doing it. What's the alternative, import captive mortals and slowly bleed them dry to supply magic to chunks of hell?

Miranda wouldn't be surprised to learn that Seraphina or one of her predecessors had done exactly that. The Scorching Depths didn't get their reputation through appearance alone, she's sure.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Sekhmet's Summer Party]

Wearing someone's (magically preserved) tears is very 'demon queen chic', the shadow thinks. But it wouldn't suit her.
So the shadow picks up the bird earrings and the ruby bracelet and pulls them into the shadow realm to try on.

"Well- I mean- that makes perfect sense, but I would still feel to shy to do it."
To distract herself from the partially-undressed bird-elf, Anchor rushes over to the wardrobe and opens it, saying, "Here, let's see what this can do!"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"Right. There will, uh, be time for more questions later. Back to the, uh, breathing exercise." Sekhmet glances over at Mary. "Very good, but, uh, it's rude to mimic someone without permission." The other Miranda that's been standing off to the side while they talk looks embarrassed. "It's clever to use someone as a, uh, reference, but you should ask first." "Sorry ma'am."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"It's no big deal. That's an impressive likeness." Miranda smiles at... herself and gives her a little nod. "You even got my eyes right. Sort of. Wrong color." She points at her own eyes, then at Mary's, highlighting the differences. "Working from memory, right? Can you try someone who isn't here?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Summer Party
The wardrobe opens to show a full rack of opulent dresses, all perfectly fitted to Anchor (although that's not obvious at first).
The clothes are mundane.

The bracelet is tuned to the hellish flames of this realm. It enhances the pyromancy of its wearer and protects against fire. More interestingly, it allows one to sense the presence of fire nearby.
The earrings are more subtle. They improve one's ability of flight - they'll be able to fly faster, further, and with more agility regardless of what form of flight is used - wings will be stronger, jetpacks more efficient, flight spells more potent.

Classroom
Sekhmet nods. "It would be good practice." "But who?" "Miranda" replies.
It might occur to Miranda that the possibility for abuse of this power is pretty great. Mary's only 14, but right now she looks like Miranda, that is, a full grown adult.
Mary decides, and shrinks down, becoming a girl about her own age, with brown hair with glittery streaks in it. "How's this?" Sekhmet recognizes Khannie whether or not Miranda does. "It's a good likeness, but you, uh, forgot the tail." Sure enough Mary-as-Khannie still has a spade-tipped demon tail like she did when she was Miranda.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

That would hardly be a revelation to Miranda; part of the appeal of the succubus essence is her own ability to potentially pull off an impersonation if the need arises. That Mary could also do it, innately, and with greater ease, has been something of a weight on her mind as well. Until she remembered she was Sekhmet's daughter, and was likely being taught how to use that power responsibly, as well as the importance of doing so. She can't imagine Sekhmet would be encouraging her like this if she didn't trust Mary to not make bad decisions with her magic.

...That, and Mary's still consistently making errors. Some of them are small, sure, but there's still a strong possibility Sekhmet's guards will pick up on it and not let her be anywhere a fourteen-year-old shouldn't be.

Although...

"Now might be a good time to go over reversion." Miranda adds, resting her chin on her hand. "There's the obvious method of just sort of shape-shifting into yourself, but suppose that's not an option for some reason. Maybe I'm dazed and can't quite remember my own face or something. Is there any other method that would get me the desired results?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"Oh, right! So, uh, by its nature, magic is, uh, impermanent. Anything that is done by magic can, uh, necessarily be undone. There's always some, uh, counterspell one can use to end it. That means you can always revert properly to your real self. There's, uh, no real trick to it. Usually someone who creates a, uh, magic effect can end it on their own without trouble. You, uh, just have to will yourself to be yourself again, and things will, uh, snap back." It's always worked that way for Sekhmet, at least.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Summer Party

Jack smiles as Anchor leaves and pulls the dress back up and follows to look at the dresses. "Huh, that's interesting. They all look to be about your size, Anchor. Want to try one on?" Jack apparently does notice that they're sized for her companion, though isn't too worried about that- perhaps Sekhmet is, too. Or can shapeshift into whatever size she wants. She can see there's no magic hanging around the dresses, though, so she's not worried on that front.

Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Summer Party]

"Fits whoever is looking, maybe? I- sure."
Anchor looks through the dresses, picking out - if she can - something that's mostly black-and-white.
And then she hurries off to the bathroom to change into it.

The shadow puts on the bird earrings and turns her head back and forth. The bracelet, she just holds onto. Shadows and fire don't mix directly, but they have a lot of indirect overlap. This could be really neat. Then she places in the jewelry box a little note, reading "!ʞɔɒd mɘʜɈ Ɉnɒw υoγ nɘʜw ʞƨɒ Ɉƨυį ;γɿlɘwɘį ɘʜɈ woɿɿod ɘm ϱniɈɈɘl ɿoʇ ƨʞnɒʜT" and shuts the lid again.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"Makes perfect sense to me." Miranda replies with a nod. It sounds a lot like Sekhmet just gave her the "shapeshift into herself" advice again, so she decides to try a different tack... one that might be more useful regardless. "And suppose I need someone else to do it. Maybe, with the knowledge that they're dealing with a shapeshifter, they want to be certain they're actually talking to me. Or maybe I've been drugged and can't focus well enough to invoke the magic on my own. Is there any way a third party could reliably make me revert?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"Uh. The straightforward way would be a, uh, contest of wills. If they know what you'd done, they can force it to break. But, uh, since not everyone can do that, there's a relatively simple ritual I can, uh, write down. It'll need a drop of your blood, uh, every time though." A drop isn't too bad, right? "Unless you, uh, want me to demonstrate now, I can do that after the, uh, lesson."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"It seems relevant to the lesson, actually." Miranda replies with a little nod. "Especially if the ritual works without my consent. Got to know what to watch for." And also how to do it herself if the need arises.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"I'll need to, uh, get some materials together. I'll be back in a minute." Sekhmet exits the room, leaving Miranda and Mary alone together.
Mary has returned to her normal self, for now.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

Miranda nods and lets the demon queen leave without comment, simply waiting at her desk for her to return.

In complete, awkward silence.

...For about a minute and a half, before she decides to try to break the ice with Mary again.

"...So, how's school going for you?" She asks, temporarily dropping the husky succubus voice. "Apart from grades, I mean. Making a lot of friends?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
"It's fine," Mary replies. "I have a few friends. I'm living with the dragons now." She's not really sure what to say right now. Miranda's one of her mom's friends and her tutor, not really someone she knows how to be friendly with.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

"Dragons?" Miranda raises an eyebrow at that, quickly replacing the momentary incredulity with a proud smile. Of course there are dragons in the Nexus. Why wouldn't there be? "That sounds like an interesting class to be in." Then, as casually as she can manage, she adds, "Any of them cute?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Classroom
Mary says nothing. She just blushes furiously then covers her face with her hands on embarrassment.
Which really says it all.

The door opens.
"I'm back!" Sekhmet is carrying a small bag of oddities which she sets on the table. "Let's see... Glass eye, check. Blue ink, check. Knife, check." She takes each item out of the bag as she mentions it, along with a quill pen.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Classroom]

That's definitely a yes.

That's also an "oh my god why would you ask I can't talk with you about something like that".

Which is... fair. They don't really have that kind of relationship. Miranda's only established as a teacher, not a confidant.

"Right!" Miranda clears her throat and sits up, returning her attention to the lesson at hand. "Eye, ink, knife, with you so far."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,