MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: MERC

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Scholarly Visit]

Ah, and here was what she had been hoping for.

"I'm not sure if that's true actually. Since tell me, if this gentry is so great then why haven't you mentioned them by name yet? We've been talking in titles and classifications this entire time as not even I know what they're called despite researching the subject. Almost as if the name has been completely erased by time. Leaving only an empty role which could be filled by just anyone."

Ambrosia's eyebrow raise as if challenging the goblin to speak the name out loud. Yet then she continues. "I think you're actually underselling the accomplishments of the three brothers here. Since while according to your story they might not have killed him in the mortal sense of the word the ruler of gol-kin is no more. His very name buried along with everything he was. So I think the story would actually reflect reality better if they actually did kill him, as that's effectively what they did. Even if there are more stories about him that takes place after their escape they're no longer about the ruler of gol-kin. They're about a failure of a king that couldn't hold on to power despite his supposed greatness."

She uses her free hand to gesture to the goblin. "But tell me, are there any other stories about this fey king? Does he actually have a name?"
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Scholarly Visit]

Dipsnig's ears flick up an down in what looks like amusement.

"I think you're expecting the name I'll give you. It was the King in Rags. That's just one of his names, of course."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Scholarly Visit]

"Honestly, I was hoping you would give me the name he had before yet that's the one that always used when I've asked around. Not the name of a great ruler, is it? Rather, it's the role and name he was forced into when his last one died. But if you do know other names he's known by do share."

At this point Ugi has started making distressed sounds, causing Ambrosia to pause. "Hold on." Carefully untangling her arm from the baby she reaches into the small bag she was carrying with her and produces a baby bottle. One that Ugi soon will be sucking on.
"My apologies, I was asking you about names?"
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

[New Recruit]

"Still, looks like quite the gun. Then again, on Eberron, guns aren't very common and the ones that do exist, they only have one barrel. Now, me, I like my crossbows. Silent, precise, and light depending on what you make it from and how you make it. However, maybe in your world, the guns are silent, precise, and light. I wouldn't really know."

Jerick takes another look at the cannon and especially the multi-elemental extension. "Looks like everything held together well. No cracks appeared and none of the mechanisms have come lose. Well, I told Olvisin, Kuvesh, Luuvat, and Zaalmin this, but I think I should tell you, too. The synthetic elemental capsules that contain the elementals that bind the energy to the ammunition last around 50 years to century before they begin to crack, so when they do start cracking, feel free to give me a call."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Scholarly Visit]

There's a fate Dipsnig ducked by choosing not to have children. Except in his case there would be more of them. Or would there? According to Rilla, Asura tend to have single kids, just like humans or other big folk. Thankfully it remains a pure hypothetical.

"The legend my grandfather told us just called him the King. Or the Dread King. Other titles I was able to dig up include the Duke of Moonless Nights and the Sovereign of All That is Forgotten. I believe he has reclaimed his title of the Eye of the Bird here. The Gentry are... layers upon layers of titles and stories."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

New Recruit

"Crossbows be obsolete two centuries gone. Still get used f'r huntin', though. Guns don't be light, nor silent, but riflin' makes 'em precise. But still slow. That'n not be rifled, it be f'r takin' out groups. More spread's good there." Frigate gestures to the Nock gun and Olvisin and Sian. "Aye? Well I'll be sure t' pass it on. Me battery's got decades o' power in it, but mayhaps not five. Me creator weren't plannin' on needin' a bodyguard that far ahead." He was in some respects correct, as Frigate's warsmith does in fact not need a bodyguard already... Because he drowned. "Ye know riflin'? It be very clever. Swirls inside th' barrel t' make the bullet spin, makin' it more accurate somehow." Frigate knows how it works, but doesn't understand what he knows. He'll offer one of his pistols to Jerrick to take a look; it is indeed rifled, a single-shot breech-loaded pistol, finely decorated and crafted by a master of the trade. Not enchanted, however; entirely mundane, though Frigate cares for it greatly and it's well-cared for.

"Don't gentlemen goblins like tusks? More fool them, I think. Or are your inclinations elsewhere?" Sian smiles and shakes her head. "It could, but then it wouldn't work as well at what it's supposed to do. Don't picture it as being a gun to put down an ogryn or something else big and tough, think of it as an anti-personnel gun, designed to kill as many people as possible so you can board their ship without resistance. Sail-ship, not space-ship." Possibly an airship instead, but probably pre-industrial to just about industrial technology.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

"Goblin gentlemen do, but many prefer them smaller." Olvisin grins, showing her big teeth. "I go both ways, but I've been trying to expand my dating pool beyond goblins. Why go elsewhere if I'm just going to stick to the familiar, eh?" She taps the weapon in her hands. "I can see that. And I understand the appeal of just blasting everything in front of you until it stops being a problem."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Gullara wrote: Nov 17, 2023 3:27 am [Familiar Feathered Faces]

"Oh really?" Valerie puts and elbow on the deck and lightly rests her chin on her hand. "Mild mannered babysitter one day, daring adventurer the next are you?" She observes, eyes alight. "Lucky for you, Merc is just the right place. There's all kind of job postings, including just the sort of thing you're looking for, I think."

"Oh, and I do work here. So I can help you with everything you need." She smiles broadly.
[Familiar Feathered Faces]

"Yeah, that's the idea!" Kestrel nodded, basically bouncing on the spot. Being called her favourite babysitter and then daring by a woman who was frankly extremely pretty was not keeping her ego at a healthy size. She leans in with a wide smile of her own. "That sounds perfect! So uh, how do I sign up?"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

"That's the easy part!" Valerie leans over to retrieve a form from a filing cabinet below her desk. She places it on the desk along with a pen. "Just fill this out and you'll be applied for a license. There's a short verification window, but I don't think there'd be any trouble for you. Once that's processed you'll have access to Merc job postings and a pool of resources to help you on your way. How's that sound, hun?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

There's a slight pause, and Kestrel begins to blush ever so faintly, although she's not entirely sure why. That "hun" was just slipped in there, right at the end. "R-Right. Yeah1 Th-that sounds great!" She stammers for a bit, before taking in a breath and making a recovery. "Um, thanks!" She takes the pen and form, and begins to pore over it, unconsciously sticking her tongue out ever-so-slightly in concentration as she started to fill it out.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

The Merc license form is pretty straightforward. A lot of standard personal information and questions about capabilities. Conveniently for Kes, the requirements for a license holder are less stringent than for full members. Valerie evidently isn't too concerned about giving her time to think it through, though. "So adventurer huh? What kind of things have you gotten up to doing that?" She watches the other woman with keen interest.
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Kestrel doesn't exactly move the fastest through the form. She's literate, but didn't exactly go through a full modern education system. And forms are boring. So she's only too happy to let herself be distracted. The birdgirl looks up at Val, thinking for a moment. There's a slight awkward shuffle as she thinks about how poorly most of her adventures go. Surely it wouldn't hurt to gloss over that, and embellish a little?.

"Well, y'know... fighting monsters, exploring old ruins and hunting for treasure... and I try to help people when I can!" She gives what she hopes is a convincing and winning smile. She has done all of those things to be fair! "And sometimes along the way, real cool things happen. Like I met this ranger who sorta kinda taught me how to speak wolf once, and then well- you've met Silver! Rescuing him was a small adventure of sorts."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Nov 19, 2023 11:20 pm [Scholarly Visit]

There's a fate Dipsnig ducked by choosing not to have children. Except in his case there would be more of them. Or would there? According to Rilla, Asura tend to have single kids, just like humans or other big folk. Thankfully it remains a pure hypothetical.

"The legend my grandfather told us just called him the King. Or the Dread King. Other titles I was able to dig up include the Duke of Moonless Nights and the Sovereign of All That is Forgotten. I believe he has reclaimed his title of the Eye of the Bird here. The Gentry are... layers upon layers of titles and stories."
[Scholarly Visit]

"Interesting. That does give me some ideas of their make-up. Rather than one story it's several and if one mask dies or is forgotten there's always another one. Would you say that's an accurate summary, Mr Razortooth?" It might mean they would have to change their approach...
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Scholarly Visit]

"It is, but destroying or forgetting a mask does seem to affect one of the Gentry. Especially the King in Rags. He's... diminished, I don't know how much exactly. But he does rely on this one title. And if he was more like the Gentry of old, we'd have a much bigger problem on our hands." His ears flick. "Supposedly, there's a true core or identity hiding behind a Gentry's titles and names. But I haven't been able to find reliable information."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Speak wolf, huh? You know if you told Eshe about that she might die of excitement. But then you'd be forced to teach her." Valerie giggles, imagining the scene.

"But you're a fighter, too huh?" There's a light bit of surprise in her tone, but she's not going to mention it explicitly. "I took you for more of a lover." She winks. "But tell me how you do that."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

"Well, sorta, yeah! It's more... sharing basic ideas than actually speaking, but it helps Silver and I understand each other a lot more." She giggles. "Maybe I should someday. I wouldn't mind! And I'm sure Eshe would love it."

Her face reddens a bit as Val continues onto a slightly different topic with a wink. To be fair, Valerie wasn't wrong exactly. The amount of "loving" she had gotten up to on her travels was more than she liked to admit. "Ah, well," Kestrel started, trying to hide her minor fluster and not doing a very good job, "I-I'm an archer! Learned it, um, when growing up. I try to be light on my feet, always on the move, y'know, keeping good distance while firing. Though, um, well, you're not r-really wrong. I'm far more excited for the travel than the fighting."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Dec 05, 2023 6:56 pm [Scholarly Visit]

"It is, but destroying or forgetting a mask does seem to affect one of the Gentry. Especially the King in Rags. He's... diminished, I don't know how much exactly. But he does rely on this one title. And if he was more like the Gentry of old, we'd have a much bigger problem on our hands." His ears flick. "Supposedly, there's a true core or identity hiding behind a Gentry's titles and names. But I haven't been able to find reliable information."
[Scholarly Visit]

"But you've been researching the topic a lot it seems. You knew of his return or at least suspected it." The scholar says, just verbally confirming what they both known for a while now. It was practically out in the open now.
"So is it possible you have any leads that I could investigate regarding that? Regarding his 'core'?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Oh! That's cool. Maybe I could see you do some target practice sometime. I know Glog sometimes does archery activities with the older kids. Though I guess it's not the season for that." She puts her finger over her lips. "But I imagine there's a lot you can accomplish without having to actually fight. Good to be able to defend yourself when you need it, though."
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Scholarly Visit]

"Tracking down anything on this subject has proven frustratingly difficult," Dipsnig admits. "Nothing I could find in any remotely publicly-available record. All I have is a list of sites that might contain something... but all of them are remote, dangerous or uncertain in some measure. I can give you this list if it helps."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Scholarly Visit]

"That would be helpful, part of my job is to find information at dangerous and remote locations so that's hardly an issue." She was a scholar after all.
Even if people mostly associated her job with reading through old scrolls and books that was just a part of it. Finding said scrolls and books was usually a much larger part of it. Not to mention understanding it once it had been found.

In fact, when she gave what he said a moment of consideration it seemed strange that Dipsnig hadn't sent someone like her to said locations already. But then she remembered that this was a company and that he probably couldn't spend too much money and resources on finding things that only might be there.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Kestrel only seems to brighten up more the moment Val calls her archery cool. She's cool! Val thinks she's cool! "I didn't realize that! Next time it rolls around I'll have to help out, and show off a bit!" She flashes what she hopes is a cheeky, confident grin. One that makes her look cooler. "Mhm. You never know what you're going to run into! Better be ready than not." Not that Kestrel ever adhered too that idea with particular frequency, but she wasn't so reckless as to go ruin-diving without having some kind of weapon with her!
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Oh definitely. Actually I know Orlane and Rosabel got really into it last time they did it. You have to watch out for Rosabel, though; she can get frustrated when she has a hard time. She just needs the right encouragement is all."

Valerie flushes ever so slightly and rubs the side of her neck. "I was about to start nattering. Get me going on my kids and I might never stop." She laughs, a nervous little titter.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Creatures]

Some time after the successful monster-hunt by the goblin siblings and Sian, Olvisin comes to MERC with a strange new critter. It appears to be a smaller and white version of the ones they killed.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[New Creatures]

Right now the creature is much smaler as it is only a kid. It appears like a small panther with white fur and is currently at a size between a cat and a dog. What makes it different is the roots on his back with small transpatent tentacles. those appear like a tail just swinging around.

The curiousity of the creature is big and Olvisin might have a hard time as Quuips runs to everything new, trying to take a bite or just sniff at it.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

The birdgirl just nods along as Valerie chats to her, by now completely forgetting that she had come here for a reason. "I'll keep that in mind for teaching her if it ever comes up, no worries." Her pen lay abandoned upon the sign-up papers.

"Oh no, it's fine, really!" Kestrel responds with an earnest and genuine smile. "I don't mind, I'd be happy to listen to you ramble all day if you wanted." Her face similarly flushes just a little when she admits that.
Morty

Post by Morty »

As Val and Kes get distracted from what they're supposed to be doing, a certain dashing tiefling wanders into the entry hall. He takes note of Valerie and... wait, he can recognize flirting when he sees it. Is this feathered gal a new arrival? If so, Valerie wasted no time...

"Hello there, Valerie. Onboarding a new arrival?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Valerie is caught mid thought, an additional flirty reply just forming on her lips. She's frozen for a moment, then she turns. "Oh, hi Fayyaad." She greets. There's a touch of colour to her cheeks, but it's subtle. "That's right. We were just going through the paperwork for a license. This is Kes." She introduces, almost forgetting that part.
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Much like with Valerie, a faint blush rises to Kestrel's face, a touch more visible on hers than on Val's. She hadn't even realized she had been flirting really. That being said, she wasn't so blind to what had been happening that she wasn't at least a little bit self-conscious at having been interrupted like this. It didn't help that this person was quite attractive himself too. "U-Um, hi! Nice to meet you, um, Fayyaad, was it? Yea, we were-" She paused, looking down and finally realizing how much work she hadn't been doing. "... What Valerie said."
Morty

Post by Morty »

My, my. Fayyaad didn't expect Valerie to be so flustered. His own experiences with her painted her as more confident than that. He gives Kes a disarming smile.

"Indeed. I am Fayyaad ibn-Haashid al-Zafar. But just Fayyaad is fine. Welcome among us, Kes."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Valerie looks at Kes's form as well, realizing that very little was filled out. Oh they really did get distracted. "She probably just needs a few more minutes to fill it out. But since you're here, Fayyaad is actually a license holder himself. He might be able to give you some pointers." She suggests.
~Images by Soushiyo