MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Familiar Feathered Faces]

Fayyaad's smile only widens as she barely holds back a laugh. Valerie isn't beating around the bush anymore, is she?

"Valerie has the right idea. As for the phone, it's not a problem, but I'd encourage you to get one sooner or later. You can always come back to update your file when you do."
TeChameleon
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by TeChameleon »

[Stone Boy]

A small figure came up the street towards the front of the MERC offices, features invisible in the depths of a red hoodie, a tall, dark-haired young human in robes accompanying him.

As he approached, his demeanour changed completely. Up until the block where the MERC offices sat, he had been moving cautiously, his movements tight and unobtrusive. Like a child anticipating punishment. Once he had turned onto the street where MERC was, though... abruptly, his body language opened up. He slammed his feet down hard enough to crack the pavement, taking wider strides than you would think his small frame could manage. As he stomped down the street, he reached inside his hood and fiddled with something on the side of his own head, and suddenly his eyes were visible in the shadows of the hood, flaring with brilliant orange light.

The little red-hooded being approached the front door of MERC and put out a hand, applying enough force to make the door bow inwards for a moment, before slacking the pressure a little and twisting the latch with a strained creak.

The door sprung open so fast that it slammed against the wall and would have bounced shut again had he not taken a step forwards and caught it with a casually outstretched hand and a thunderous crash.

Then he walked towards the desk, a little more normally, and reached into the metallic backpack he wore to produce a slate and a piece of chalk. With a short flurry of motion and squeaking noises, he wrote something and held it out to the receptionist, where it was revealed to say 'I would like to work for MERC, please.' in beautiful calligraphic script.

The whole production, of course, was a carefully developed not-quite-charade based on decades of experience working with adventurer's guilds on his home plane. He had learned early that small boys, even ones made of stone, did not gain ready acceptance in adventurer's guilds and mercenary halls, and he usually had to put up with a lot of tiresome questions and even more tiresome proving himself if he simply showed up as himself.

So he had developed his routine, one that said very clearly 'something huge and with immense strength is approaching', and the subsequent cognitive dissonance when it was revealed that only one of these things was true saved him both time and hassle. The chalk-and-slate was a more recent addition, when he had realised that his voice gave him away also, so he simply didn't talk, leaning into the stereotype that many constructs could not do so. That, combined with the glowing eyes, usually carried him through the first impressions well enough to get in the door with far less annoyance.

He'd tried carrying around a sword the size of a sharpened surfboard for a while, achieving much the same effect, but the thing had been nearly useless in combat, a pain to store, and he'd snapped it in half anyways using it to try to lever open a stone sarcophagus in some forgotten tomb or other. So he'd gone back to relying on a touch of theatricality.

Eddie had warned Sylas, his companion, about what was coming, at least a little, so hopefully the young human would at least not blurt out any questions about him suddenly not talking.

Once he had shown his slate to whatever being was the greeter that day, he simply stood there, patient as a stone, his burning orange gaze fixed on them.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Stone Boy and another boy]

As mentioned the stone boy isn't alone. He is followed up by a young man in robes. He doesn't have the cap over his head so you can see the short black hair and a rather normal human face. Only the robe seems to lay heavy on his shoulders.

Without a word he let's Eddi do his act. Sylas himself closes the doors behind him as silent as he can befor stepping up to the same desk without a care in the world.

"Same as him." he just says to the clerk and point s at Eddie.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Feb 08, 2024 3:51 am [Familiar Feathered Faces]

"Uh, right." Kestrel squints at the form, scribbling in her name and address before immediately running into some trouble. "I don't like... have a phone or anything. Is that going to be a problem?"

It is at this moment that Kestrel is struck with Val's most direct flirt yet (or at least, the most obvious to Kes), in the company of others no less! "Aha, w-well, th-thanks... I'm sure that strategy works better for you than me though." She manages to respond, while staring pointedly down at the forms in a vague attempt to hide the deepening of her blush from Fayyaad besides her.
Morty wrote: Feb 08, 2024 10:50 pm [Familiar Feathered Faces]

Fayyaad's smile only widens as she barely holds back a laugh. Valerie isn't beating around the bush anymore, is she?

"Valerie has the right idea. As for the phone, it's not a problem, but I'd encourage you to get one sooner or later. You can always come back to update your file when you do."

Valerie giggles. Kes is cute. She's not totally distracted from business, though. "It'd just make it easy for people to contact you directly, especially as more customers become familiar with you. Merc will actually print you business cards too that you can put your info on to give to people. It's okay that you don't, though. You can always check the job boards at the office and use the phones there to contact people."
~Images by Soushiyo
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals- Stone Boy And Flesh Boy

The door opens, and inside there is a desk with... an unusual secretary. For one, he's using an anvil as a chair. He's also either clad entirely in heavy bronze plates, or he's made of bronze. Probably the latter, given the four stubby fingers on his hands seem to be made of granite, and the purple light emitting from the holes in the bronze helmet serving as a head. It's bolted straight to the construct's shoulders, limiting its flexibility. On the desk next to the paperwork the warforged is struggling to fill out is a collection of weapons; a brass cutlass, a pair of flintlock pistols, and a powder horn. He turns towards the entrance as Eddie enters, raising off the anvil slightly and reaching for the pistols.

The Warforged, his sword, and the powderhorn are all enchanted, though in several distinct ways. "Ahoy, me hearties! What be I t'do fer you this day? Ah, a job, eh? Well, mayhaps. Yon cabinboy be not guaranteed, th' cap'n dislikes employin' children. Prior bad experiences, aye? Do ye speak? It'd make communication easier, I be strugglin' to adjust me sight lines." The voice is loud and boisterous, echoing around the helmet that serves as a head.
Last edited by Earl of Purple on Feb 10, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Stone Boy and Another Boy]

When he saw another construct at the desk, Eddie's heart leapt. A rare chance to talk to someone who wouldn't...
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 09, 2024 12:23 pm Arrivals- Stone Boy And Flesh Boy"Ahoy, me hearties! What be I t'do fer you this day? Ah, a job, eh? Well, mayhaps. Yon cabinboy be not guaranteed, th' cap'n dislikes employin' children. Prior bad experiences, aye? Do ye speak? It'd make communication easier, I be strugglin' to adjust me sight lines." The voice is loud and boisterous, echoing around the helmet that serves as a head.
... prejudge him because of his size.

The little golem's shoulder's slumped and he heaved a sigh. He didn't actually breathe, the only thing he used air for was talking, but sometimes you just had to sigh.

Sometimes you also had to tamp down a spike of temper, as well. In one of his earliest applications to an adventurer's guild, more than fifty years ago now, they had laughed in his face and slammed the door. He had gotten angry, and yanked the door back open with enough force that he'd ripped most of the front wall of their guildhall off. That had been the time he'd been caught in a stasis spell and tossed into a volcano. Since then, he'd done his best to moderate his temper.

From the outside, all that was likely to be noticed was a bit of stiffness in his body language as he tugged his hood off, revealing his startlingly lifelike, annoyingly childlike stone features.

Deliberately, he swiped his slate clean with the end of one slightly outsized sleeve, and tucked it and the chalk back into the metal shell of his pack.

Then he stepped back so that he could meet the warforged's glowing purple gaze with his own blazing orange one.

"I would think that you, of all people, would know better than to judge a golem's apparent age by their looks." he said in a level, somewhat offended tone. "I'd be willing to wager that I'm older than you by a fair margin, even if you only count the time that I've been conscious."

A pause. "And yes, I can speak, and I still want a job. A job that I've been doing quite capably for five decades now, just in the wrong dimension."
Last edited by TeChameleon on Feb 11, 2024 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Stone Boy and Another Boy]

The other boy is more in his late teens which you might guess by his apperance if you got to do with them. Otherwise he might appear a bit young either way. While he listens his confusion rises up.

"Cabinboy?" he asks confused. "I'm sorry, but I haven't understood anything you said. Could you maybe drop the accent for me?"

It's mostly an issue of the player who has a guess that he meant no kids due to bad experience, but might have missed something.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Stone Boy, Another Boy And A Buoy

"T'weren't you I be judgin', sir. I know ye be old, ye be one piece o' stone by the looks. That be impractical against cannonfire, stone shatters. Most constructs o' me home be mixed materials, like I be, to aid repairs. (It wasn't you I was judging, sir. I know you're old, you look to be a single piece of stone. That's impractical against cannon, stone shatters. Most constructs of my home are of mixed materials, like I am, to aid repairs.)" Frigate turns to the other chap, whom Earl had seen the tag describe as a 'boy' and so missed the 'young man' thing. Earl's reading comprehension yesterday was absolutely dreadful, it seems. "How old d'ye be, laddie? I'm... tryin' t'be clear.(How old are you, lad? I'm trying to be clear.)"

TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Stone Boy, Another Boy and a Buoy]
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 11, 2024 12:53 pm "T'weren't you I be judgin', sir. I know ye be old, ye be one piece o' stone by the looks. That be impractical against cannonfire, stone shatters. Most constructs o' me home be mixed materials, like I be, to aid repairs."
"Ah." Eddie said, a bit relieved. He waved away the 'stone shattering' comment. "If you pump enough magic into anything, it can become ludicrously durable. I remember seeing a magus deflect a bullet with a sheet of paper once. Of course, the idiot forgot to allow for the impact and ended up slicing his own arm off with the hardened paper. That was a 'fun' live bounty to retrieve..." He shook his head, dislodging the memory.

Then something else Frigate had said struck him. "Wait, repairs? You mean manual repairs..?" he said, trailing off.

Brilliant orange eyes scanned the big construct more carefully, an orange gleam reflecting from the points that the little golem was studying. Human, and in fact organic in general, nature was often a frustrating mystery to Eddie, but the creation of constructs was something he'd studied for more than a century at the feet of an acknowledged master of the craft.

"I had been admiring the joining work on your limbs, but... wait... no mana etchings? No magical reinforcement at all?! How..? What? Mana batteries? No charge ports?!? You're just going to drop dead when the charge expires? What kind of barbarian designed you!?" Eddie said, his voice rising in indignation, almost yelling at the end.

He shook himself, visibly grabbing ahold of his self-control. "Sorry. I do NOT like planned obsolescence in thinking beings. There's a chance I might be able to help with redesigning your batteries so that they are able to take a charge, if you would like me to."

Once he had calmed down some more, he added "I haven't faced cannonfire, specifically, but the list of things I have survived include high-calibre gunfire, magical attacks of every element imaginable, getting swatted through three stone walls by a dragon, punching a steel golem at mach 1.3, re-entry after being teleported into low orbit, magic swords... so many magic swords, being dumped into a volcano, being thrown off a cliff into the sea... twice... I'm sure you get the idea. The worst I can recall suffering was getting my finish ruined by high-level acid attacks, and that grew back after a month or so. So I'm not overly worried about shattering."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

The human boy does take amoment to answer. While he is a bit shocked at Eddis outburst. He was still a bit suprised when Eddi had dropped his act, maybe he never assumed another construct to greet him, or just be unimressed by the show. Sylas himself also wasn't that impressed to be honest. His world got a lot of people you can't judge by the cover, himself included. But back to the task at hand.

"I wasn't able to identify how you measure time here, but at home I just reached 16 winter." Which results in a bit more then 14 Years, but he doesn't know that his world has a shorter year then a normal one. "I know that might not worth anything here, but in my homeworld kids start to work for an adventuring guild with 12 doing minor task. With 16 they usualy go out and are able to travel the world." He pauses as this will likly be just taken as a sidenote. "On that I can handle myself in a fight or in case I have to camp ouside."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Stone Boy, Another Boy and a Buoy

"Aye, but if'n ye're hit by a cannonball wi' runes o' force on it, ye still be stone. (Yes, but if you're hit by a cannonball with runes of force on it, you're still stone.)" Frigate leans forward and back to mimic a nod when Eddie mentions repairs, and his hand on the desk twitches as Eddie begins to rant about his creator. "I be able t' repair meself wi' no special facilities 'r tools. I do be reinforced, th' runework be on th' inside. Me battery be replaceable, an' me maker were expectin' t' be able to replace it when th' time came. He were desperate, an' didn't foresee much chance t' get a fully equipped workshop in th' near future. Mayhaps he could've made I better, but at th' cost o' makin' it harder t' fix I should I be damaged- an' he build I t'be his bodyguard. (I'm able to repair myself with no special facilities or tools. I am reinforced; the runes are internal. My battery's replaceable, and my maker was expecting to be able to repair it when he had to. He was desperate, and didn't foresee the ability to use a fully equipped workshop in the near future. Perhaps he could've made me better, but at the cost of making me harder to repair should I get damaged- and I was built as his bodyguard.)"

Frigate mimics a nod again at the list of things Eddie's survived. "Th' secret o' true mortality be one unknown t' the warsmiths an' mystic architects o' me homeworld. Never afore met a golem what could heal like what squishies do. (The secret of true life is one unknown to the artificers of my homeworld. I've not met a golem that could heal like a humanoid does before.)" Turning back to the human lad, Frigate reaches up to stroke his face, in a thinking gesture. "We be needin' t' talk t' an officer, I be reckonin'. Sixteen be mighty young, for them that grow. (We need to talk to an officer, I think. Sixteen's very young for those that grow.)"

TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

"... that brings new meaning to the term 'self-repairing'." Eddie said after a moment.

"And I apologize if I was insensitive to your crafter. If you were panic-built, it does not show, save for some decisions I would consider... questionable. Whoever built you had a careful hand. And my offer to experiment with ways to charge your batteries stands; if they can be re-used, they should be. Illegal arcane dumping was actually something of a problem on my world; went in to stop an instance of it once, discovered that the dungeon that had grown was already seventy floors deep and the idiots that thought they could just bury thaumaturgical waste had been murdered and replaced by dopplegangers who kept the dumping going." Eddie shook his head.

"One last point on my fragility or lack thereof..." he added, rolling up a sleeve and showing that he didn't actually have any joints, but rather the stone itself was... flexible, in an odd fashion that mimicked the human range of motion pretty much exactly. "I'm built a little different. So my ductile strength is far, far higher than the average stone golem, since I am flexible."

"In any case," he finished, rolling down his sleeve, "while I would actually prefer to stay here and compare notes with you on our respective constructions, since it is a topic I find fascinating, I suspect I should probably allow you to move on before poor Sylas ages into the role naturally."
Last edited by TeChameleon on Feb 12, 2024 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

"Well, your the expert here." he says. Obviously Frigate knows what to do. It's just that he wonders who the officer is. His guess is that it's either another golem or some high magic beeing, which happened to be the people he talked to latly. makes him wonder if there are any humans or humanoids around.

Sylas doesn't say anything to Eddie, not that he had to add something anyway. Thought the showcase of his physiology made him wonder how anyone did that. must have been some kind of high end magic.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Do one o' your questionable decisions be to make I of metal an' stone, so I be sinkin'? Were I able t' float, mayhaps I be able t' save me crafter's life. (Is one of the decisions you find questionable to make me of stone and metal, so I sink? If I could float, perhaps I could have saved my creator's life.)" Frigate obviously survived, walking ashore after that unfortunate shipwreck, and promptly joining the crew of another vessel. "Nay, he weren't panickin', but he be desperate. Owed a lot o' money t' a lot o' bilge rats an' scum. Wanted I t' be impressive t' get a berth aboard a ship as shipmage, but also t' finish I fast so he be able t' flee. (No, he wasn't panicking, but he was desperate. Owed a lot of money to nasty people. He wanted me to be impressive to get a job as a shipmage, but also to finish me as quickly as he could so he could get out of there.)" Frigate stands up, grabbing his weapons on the way, and heads towards a corridor to find an officer.

TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

Eddie shook his head. "No, questionable as in 'no charge ports' and not equipping you properly for non-combat duties." he said. "And you are finely crafted in any case, some of what I am seeing may simply be my own preferences."

The little golem ambled after the big warforged as he left the room, figuring that he'd get some way to sign up eventually.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

*sight* "Maybe I should have taken the "Basiscs of creating a golem" class. It seems to be really handy with so many around." the boy says. He does remain in front of the desk. Frigate didn't say anything to him as far as he understood it and is not sure where he goes. Likly he gets an officer as he said befor but should he come with him? Also he neiter asked them their names or did he tell them his.
"You know we should have asked him about his name." he says to Eddi.
Morty

Post by Morty »

The three will be directed to one of the larger meeting rooms, where it seems the big boss himself decided to receive them. His office isn't really big enough for Frigate and two other people.

Inside, they'll find a middle-aged goblin with brown skin, brown receding hair and pale red eyes. He's fiddling with a pen and there's a wolf on the floor next to him. He regards Frigate and the newcomers for a moment.

"I've been told you have recruits who need an officer's judgement, Frigate. I happen to be available," he says.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Stone Boy, Another Boy And a Buoy

"Aye, cap'n. This be... uh, I fergot t' ask names. The human claimed t'be sixteen winters, an' that he be trainin' fer such a crew as this since he were twelve. Th' other be older'n I, despite his appearance. I didn't ask why his sculptor chose such a shape t' animate. (Yes, captain. This is... uh, I forgot to ask for names. The human claimed to be sixteen winters, and that he's been training for a group like this since he was twelve. The other is older than I am, despite his appearance. I didn't ask why he was created in this form.)" Frigate gestures first at the human (Silas?), and then at Eddie.

TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

Eddie gave the big boss a precise bow, falling back into the courtly mannerisms of an earlier era. On the off-chance that Dipsnig was familiar with high-society rules of fourteenth century England, he'd recognize the bow as being millimetric-perfect for the son of a noble house meeting a military commander under whom he wished to enlist.

"Dag Wenick Filias Edmond Lapis, hopefully at your service, although please call me Eddie. I have a little over five decades of adventuring experience, am virtually indestructible and widely read." he said.

"And Pater Edmond didn't choose this form for me, exactly- he was attempting to create a golem with more flexible thought patterns by giving it a childhood, but something went wrong and he created a golem who was a mirror of his childhood self- me. Magic. Feh." Eddie added with a resigned shrug.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Boss and Boys

"Sylas Skyfire." the boy says. As he adds a slight bow of his head. He doesn't know the proper greeting here, but as Eddie bows down in an extremly formal way he can't just stand there and wave like friend who see each other on the way. On the other hand Sylas can't hide the slightly irritated look. In his world Goblins aren't in any high positions. At best they run a shop. Otherwise they aren't civilzed enougth to earn more respect.

"And I think he mostly got it. 16 Winters of Age and I worked as a mercanary since i was twelve. Thought it was restricted to local jobs. With my current age I would be a normal member there. Thats why i didn't even thought this might be a problem here."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Morty wrote: Feb 08, 2024 10:50 pm [Familiar Feathered Faces]

Gullara wrote: Feb 09, 2024 2:33 am [Familiar Feathered Faces]

Valerie giggles. Kes is cute. She's not totally distracted from business, though. "It'd just make it easy for people to contact you directly, especially as more customers become familiar with you. Merc will actually print you business cards too that you can put your info on to give to people. It's okay that you don't, though. You can always check the job boards at the office and use the phones there to contact people."

"Ahh, right then. I'll keep that in mind, it I ever have the money for it." Kestrel never had much of a budget for things like that, although that was less of a problem now she was at GLoG. Perhaps with MERC too now on top of that such things would be less of a worry. "And oh, um, in that case, I might need one of you to show me how to use them." She scratches her head a little bashfully.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Stone Boy, Another Boy And a Buoy]

It's been a very long time since Dipsnig was treated as a member of the military. Eddie's bow does give him the impression of someone trying to impress a superior - he's not familiar with these specific customs, but he's got a lot of experience reading people. When the situation is explained, he sighs.

"My name is Dipsnig Razortooth, the leader here. And your age, or apparent age... can be problematic." He looks at Sylas first. "We've had problems caused by teenage members before. Which were doubled when the public opinion caught wind of them. As for you..." He looks over to Eddie. "I understand your predicament. But as old as you might be, from the outside it looks like a child is working for us."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I'm sure Valerie will be glad to help." Fayyaad gives Val a little wink. He can't blame her, really. Kes is quite fetching. "And so will I. It's easier than it looks, really."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Stone Boy, Another Boy & A Buoy- Dipsnig's Office

Frigate refers to anyone who happens to be in charge as 'cap'n', it being less a military title for the warforged and more one of ultimate responsibility, as the captain of a ship is responsible for all that goes on aboard.

"Mayhaps I be takin' Eddie on as a 'prentice lad, 'least t' the outside? Get him aboard an' workin', but supervised by one who looks t' be bosun? (Perhaps I could take Eddie on as an apprentice, at least to the outside? Get him in and working but supervised by somebody that looks to have a position of responsibility?)" Eddie might not like that, however, especially since Frigate tends to prefer nautical jobs. And it's still apparently employing children, even if it looks less like 'child soldiers' and more like 'bring your son to work day'.

TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

Dipsnig's Office

Eddie made a groaning noise like overstressed stone when Dipsnig explained the situation. He understood, but it didn't mean he liked it. And he had long since learned that despite his feeling that stone skin and glowing eyes should be enough to make it clear that he wasn't a small boy, the general public could be remarkably dense about that sort of thing.

Glancing at Frigate, he said "While I do appreciate the offer, it's a temporary solution at best, and not tenable in the longer term."

Turning back to Dipsnig, he said "Master Razortooth, while I understand your position, I do believe that there are ways to work around my appearance. In one previous job, I simply wore full plate through the dungeon's first room, leading people to assume I was one of the smallfolk. If you have any to spare, it would be a simple solution- it doesn't even matter if it is ill-fitting, as it wouldn't cause me any discomfort, could not restrict my movement, and I wouldn't actually be wearing it on the job proper anyways. Any outfit that completely covers me would more or less do, of course, but if it is armour of some kind, I have found that people are less apt to question it, I suppose because of the perception that a child could not carry such weight."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Feb 16, 2024 1:16 am [Familiar Feathered Faces]

"Ahh, right then. I'll keep that in mind, it I ever have the money for it." Kestrel never had much of a budget for things like that, although that was less of a problem now she was at GLoG. Perhaps with MERC too now on top of that such things would be less of a worry. "And oh, um, in that case, I might need one of you to show me how to use them." She scratches her head a little bashfully.
Morty wrote: Feb 17, 2024 12:11 am [Familiar Feathered Faces]

"I'm sure Valerie will be glad to help." Fayyaad gives Val a little wink. He can't blame her, really. Kes is quite fetching. "And so will I. It's easier than it looks, really."

"Oh of course, I was lucky enough to learn growing up, but Astrana had to learn from scratch as well. I helped her out, so I'm a bit of a teacher already." Valerie giggles.
~Images by Soushiyo
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Morty wrote: Feb 16, 2024 8:18 pm [Stone Boy, Another Boy And a Buoy]

It's been a very long time since Dipsnig was treated as a member of the military. Eddie's bow does give him the impression of someone trying to impress a superior - he's not familiar with these specific customs, but he's got a lot of experience reading people. When the situation is explained, he sighs.

"My name is Dipsnig Razortooth, the leader here. And your age, or apparent age... can be problematic." He looks at Sylas first. "We've had problems caused by teenage members before. Which were doubled when the public opinion caught wind of them. As for you..." He looks over to Eddie. "I understand your predicament. But as old as you might be, from the outside it looks like a child is working for us."
[Stone Boy, Another Boy And a Buoy]

Sylas listen and also waits for the golems to give their deciving plans, which confuses Sylas obviously. He doesn't know about the events as a recent arriver and none in Trogs mentioned that.

"Would you be so kind as to explain that? I'm confused why a problem caused by young people has such an impact, especialy to other young people." he says.
"In my world it is rather commen to work for an organisation like yours in young age. With our heritage it's mostly the only way to earn coin. So befor our two golems here go all out with deciving plans it would be worth to know the source, right." he turns to Eddi to see if he approves, but he guesses the stone golem is not ammused by the current events, after all his strength showcase hasn't worked and now his apperance takes a toll to his chances to join. Sylas is not sure Eddi ever had those problems.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"This could work," Dipsnig admits to Eddie. "After all, there are people of all sizes around here. Present company included." He himself is about the size of a human child. He then glances over at Sylas again. "The details are confidential. But not very long ago, we took a chance on hiring a teenager. They caused a lot of damage and problems with their actions."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Stone Boy, Another Boy, A Buoy

"Aye, I know not th' details- weren't there, an' nobody who were be talkin'. I think people died what shouldn't have, though. Can't imagine much else would be so bad. (Yes, I don't know the details- I wasn't there, and nobody who was there talks about it. I think people died that shouldn't have died, though. I can't imagine anything else that would be so bad.)" Frigate only knows rumour and hearsay, which may not be entirely accurate. Salt and Jaahlyn have, to Earl's knowledge, not spoken about it openly, and really they're the ones who would know.

TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

Eddie nodded, satisfied that they at least had a starting point for dealing with his problem.

Then he sighed. He didn't really know Sylas, so he wasn't sure how to approach things. He was definitely at least a bit sympathetic- his own apparent youth had caused him problems so many times in the past that he'd developed a whole routine around it, after all- but in his case it was only apparent youth, not actual youth like it was in Sylas' case.

Or at least Eddie assumed that Sylas was young- he tended to divide organic life-forms into 'child, adult, elder' without entirely understanding the categories, at least beyond the fact that organics tended to consider them highly significant. 'Teenager' was an age-grouping he'd heard tell of often, but he hadn't really figured out how to identify them reliably outside of being told. Sure, he'd heard all about how they were irrational and had no respect and talked strangely and so on and so on, but from what he'd seen, that was pretty much true of all organic beings to one degree or another.

After a moment, he said "Do you not have an apprenticeship program or similar? Surely, if Sylas has enough ability in combat that he considers it a vocation, it would be better to have that ability supervised and channelled, rather than simply turned loose on the streets?"