MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

knk-tnk!

Is the sound of the front door being awkwardly jostled in its frame. To the trained ear, it might be recognizable as the exact series of movements that tend to ensue when someone who doesn't have proper thumbs is stuck trying to work their way through the task of opening the latch. Some awkward fumbling for the device, pushing down on it in a way that isn't quite right, attempting to move the door in the wrong direction, slipping off the latch and being forced to try again from the start, repeat as many tries as it takes.

But they get it eventually.

The lobby door slowly swings open as a pale, equine head pokes through, topped with a curled, two-pronged horn. It stays there for a moment, recuperating from the ordeal, before the rest of the body slowly trots in behind; that of a small mare, covered in tiny, bone-white scales, with a contrasting black mane and tail. She has a long-handled wicker basket around her neck, which jostles a little as she proceeds up toward the front desk at a pace that seems to simultaneously be unhurried and quite anxious, and made slightly awkward by the fact that her back right leg never touches the ground, being too bent out of shape to manage it.

Once there, the pony awkwardly clears her throat and gives her best attempt at a smile (which does not flatter her).

"Excuse me." She begins politely. "I'd like to speak with mister Razortooth, if he's available."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Familiar Feathered Faces]

Kestrel finds herself smiling back at Fayyaad. Hard not to. She turns back to Valerie as she speaks, smiling at her too. "Uhh, yeah, that sounds good. I'd appreciate that."

The birdgirl was not particularly familiar with the bureaucracy of filling out forms and such, after all. She'd done a little at GLoG, sure, but while she knew how to read and write it had never been a priority of her parents, so formal paperwork always seemed a bit daunting. Chatting with Valerie had helped put her at ease at least!
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Olvisin is once again handling the front desk today, for her sins. And now she has to deal with... a horse? Whoever it is, they're asking to see the boss.

"What's your name and what is your... business with Mr. Razortooth?"

Fayyaad wonders if it's his duty to help Kes fill out the paperwork quickly so she can get back to her close and friendly conversation with Valerie. It most likely is.

"Well, there's really not that much to it. It needs your full name and contact information. It's important to know how to reach you, just in case. Especially if you ever get repeat customers."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

The pony glances off to one side, lips pursed in thought. On the one hand, she's supposed to be using her new name, and she really shouldn't omit that information no mattet how she answers. On the other hand, leaving out her old name feels like a lie of omission, and things would likely proceed much smoother with the added transparency. Or at least, if she did run into a roadblock, it'd be a legitimate one.

"...It's, um..." The pony drones for a moment, before reaching a decision. "It's me. Siana. I go by Salt now." She gives the goblin an awkward little smile. "And I wanted to consult with him on a little bit of a personal matter. I'd rather not go too far into detail here, if it's all the same to you."

...That might not be too compelling. Things were bad for her when she left MERC. She can put forward a better foot than that.

The kirin lowers her head, letting the basket slide forward down her neck. "Would you like a cookie?" She offers. "They're mostly for Dipsnig, but I've got two dozen of them in there, I'm sure he isn't going to miss one."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Olvisin reaches out for the cookie, more or less automatically as her brain processes what Siana just said.

"...is the reason you're some kind of magic horse also personal? Either way I can call him and see what he says."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"Personal and privileged information besides." Salt gives Olvisin an apologetic smile. "...I think I can safely tell you it's a disciplinary thing, outside of MERC's jurisdiction, and you'd probably be better off not counting on my changing back. And that I'm technically a kirin, which apparently sits somewhere between horse and dragon. But I don't think I could tell you much beyond that without breaking any confidentiality agreements."

Salt awkwardly shuffles in place, allowing Olvisin to take one of many cookies from the basket. At first glance, they might appear to be your standard chocolate chip affair, if a bit overdone, but a closer look reveals the various "chips" are actually subterranean fauna, particularly large insects, and the cookie itself smells faintly earthy.

"...Mushroom flour." Salt elaborates after a moment. "I've been working with it more since my time here. Dipsnig seemed to like them last time, so I thought I'd bring him some with more authentic ingredients."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

"Right. We all understand confidentiality here in MERC. And I have a fuzzy idea how horses or dragons work, so it's all the same to me. And the boss always did appreciate your effort into goblin cuisine. Olvisin picks up a phone and has a brief exchange with Dipsnig. "He sounds pretty bewildered, but he says you should come down to his office."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"Thanks. Same place as before, right? Down the hall and...?" Salt trails off, giving Olvisin a chance to confirm the directions, before trotting in that direction herself, basket in tow.

She seems about as nice as Salt remembered her. That's a bit reassuring.

The kirin comes to a stop in front of Dipsnig's office door, once again faced with the challenge of trying to figure out how to work a latch. That promised to be a rather awkward start to their meeting, if setting it up wasn't already a... weird experience.

But, fortunately, there are some customs she can readily employ to subvert the worst of it.

Salt raises a hoof and taps rhythmically on the door, doing the best knock she can without fists.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

There's a lengthy pause on the other side of the door as Dipsnig puts things together. Olvisin said Siana is, for some reason, a horse now. So she can't open his door. Sighing, he comes up to it and opens it.

"Siana. This is a surprise, in more ways than one. Come in."

The kirin will be free to enter the office, which is much as she remembers it, complete with Teerka napping near the desk.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"Thank you." Salt gives a gracious nod (well, as gracious as she can manage, at any rate) and trots into the office, quickly occupying herself with a second challenge; finding a place to sit. It's not like any of the chairs in the room were designed for a pair of kirin haunches. And plopping down in the floor seems... rude, and potentially unsanitary.

Standing it is, then.

"...So, I, um... take it you're probably wondering why I'm here." Salt begins, awkardly shuffling to one side in an attempt to get a little more comfortable. "I actually wanted to consult with you. Personally. On a matter I don't think anybody else can handle reliably."

...Okay, that was a good start. But seems likely to put him straight into business mode. She should probably tone it down a bit.

"I'm willing to pay for it, of course." She continues. "I brought [going rate for a small job] with me, along with these." She sets the basket on the desk in front of him. "...I seem to remember you telling me they're hard to come by here on the surface. They're really more of a complimentary thing, though. You know. Generally a good idea to bring food if you're trying to make a good impression."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Dipsnig's eyebrow rises as he sits behind his desk.

"I admit, you've got me curious." And this probably isn't as disastrous as Siana's tenure in MERC tended to be. "Something only I can handle? Tell me what you need."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"...Advice, basically." Salt says after a moment. The way she'd been talking, she realized, she could have been giving the impression she had an oddly specific heist in mind or something, and as awkward as this conversation was going to be, she can at least dispell that notion right away. "Which, um... again, sits outside MERC's professional wheelhouse and more in yours."

Salt shuffles again, not quite certain how to segue into her question, and finding the segue to be entirely necessary; dropping it in his lap without giving him time to properly psychologically prepare himself likely wasn't going to get the result she wanted.

"...You see, I've, um... gotten just a bit older since I've worked here." She begins, holding up her hoof to make the "little bit" gesture before seeming to realize she can't do that very well without a thumb and finger. "And that's led to some important life choices that I'm going to need to weigh, very carefully, before proceeding. I, um... don't think I need to tell you how badly it can go if I don't."

Ilpholin could probably explain that point if she were present.

"And this one in particular, I, um... well, I don't really know that many people who've been through it." She gives a nervous laugh. "I mean, normally I'd just ask my parents, but they've been missing and presumed dead the entire time you've known me. The rest of my family doesn't have much experience in that regard, either. And most of my peers my age don't really seem to be thinking about it... or if they are, they're not telling me, and they're probably not any better off information-wise than I am."

Okay, at this point she's beating around the bush too much. That's enough immediate context, hopefully Dipsnig is in the right headspace for this.

"So, I, um... wanted to ask you how you knew. When, um... when it was the right time and person to get married."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Siana's question, once she gets around to it, manages to stun Dipsnig into silence. He expected quite a few possibilities, but this wasn't one of them.

"That's... hmm." It takes him a moment to realign his train of thought. "I can't say this is a question I've been asked before. It took me a while to get married. I thought I wouldn't, until I met Rilla. Even then, we'd been together for a while before we decided to do it." He taps his fingers together. "It was unorthodox in many ways. By the time we tied the knot, I was what you'd call an old bachelor. And since she's not a goblin, we had to somehow reconcile our cultures."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

Salt lets out a shaky breath she didn't realize she was holding in. She had half expected Dipsnig to stand up, coldly tell her she was being horribly inappropriate, and then tell her in no uncertain terms to get out of his office and not waste his time like this again. An actual answer seemed like an optimistic expectation.

"At least Arne and I aren't that far removed from each other in that regard." She thinks aloud. "We were close to each other as children. My parents knew his personally."

That was, after all, half the point.

"...How did you know Rilla was the one?" She asks. "As opposed to... I don't know, her sister? Or any number of goblins you must've met before or since then?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Dipsnig is surprised himself. He's a rather private person, most of the time. Maybe it was Siana's obvious desperation in coming to him of all people that won him over.

"It's... hmm. That's a very personal question. At a certain moment I felt that my life was tied to hers in a way that we should make official. And that, as they say, was that. If you can look at someone and imagine spending your life with them, that's when you'll know..." He waves his hand. "That sounded like something from an Angela's Day card, but you know what I mean, I hope."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"...Ah."

Salt's gaze lowers to the floor. After a moment of awkward, agonized shuffling, she speaks up again, her words measured and weighted.

"...I appreciate the sentiment." She grimaces. "It's certainly a romantic image. But, um..."

How to put this?

"...I was sort of hoping to hear something a little more... you know, practical." She frowns. "The, um... the past few years have not been great, with regards to decisions made with my heart more than my head." Her hoof comes up and gives her chest and forehead a little tap as she speaks. "Taking on my uncle's debt in the most ridiculous way I could. The incident with Reina during tryouts. The... incidents that followed." She frowns. "I'm... not sure I can really trust myself, in that regard. Even in the long-term sort of sense, since we're talking about something years away, probably."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Dipsnig breathes out. He was sort of hoping this answer would satisfy her. What else is he going to say? He's hardly a relationship counselor.

"Let me turn this around on you with a question. Why do you want to marry Arne and what are you worried might happen if you do?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

That seems to give Salt some pause. There's a little chk as she sucks on her teeth, contemplating her answer.

"...I... kind of feel like I'm meant to." She explains, wincing at the words as she hears herself say them. "It's been the plan for the longest time. I mean, it's not like anybody is forcing me, but it's... it's right, you know?" She taps her hoof to the floor irritably. "There's not really anything specific I'm worried about. Arne's a... a good match. A little overbearing at times, but he's growing out of it and he's been there for me ever since we met up again." She her ears flick as she shakes her mane, letting out an agitated nicker. "...It's more that I'm trying to make certain I am considering this thoroughly. That there isn't something- that I'm foreseeing any problems and that I can handle them. Does that make sense?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Jan 25, 2024 9:29 pm [Familiar Feathered Faces]

Kestrel finds herself smiling back at Fayyaad. Hard not to. She turns back to Valerie as she speaks, smiling at her too. "Uhh, yeah, that sounds good. I'd appreciate that."

The birdgirl was not particularly familiar with the bureaucracy of filling out forms and such, after all. She'd done a little at GLoG, sure, but while she knew how to read and write it had never been a priority of her parents, so formal paperwork always seemed a bit daunting. Chatting with Valerie had helped put her at ease at least!
Morty wrote: Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm [Familiar Feathered Faces]

Fayyaad wonders if it's his duty to help Kes fill out the paperwork quickly so she can get back to her close and friendly conversation with Valerie. It most likely is.

"Well, there's really not that much to it. It needs your full name and contact information. It's important to know how to reach you, just in case. Especially if you ever get repeat customers."

"I'm sure you'll get plenty of those. Bring them in with the pretty face and keep them coming back with a job well done." Valerie winks playfully at the other woman. Bold, but playful.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

"Considering different angles is a good sign." Especially given her previous impulse-driven decisions. "But let me ask you another question. Do you think anything bad will happen if you don't get married? I understand it's a custom for your people... but you're not there anymore."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"...No, not really." Salt says after a moment. "Not beyond missing out, I suppose. But I don't see how that's... I mean, that isn't really the point, is it? You didn't marry your wife for fear something would happen if you didn't... right?"

She doesn't actually know, but she'd like to think that's the case.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

"Of course not." Time to try a different approach. "But I'm trying to work out your motivation for getting married. You said that you think it's the right thing to do."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"You know. It's, um..." Salt pauses a moment. "...It's one of those things you just kinda end up doing when you grow up. You get taller, you get a job, you learn some things about the world around you and yourself, and when the time is right, you get married. Maybe have kids if you can." She grimaces. "...That... might or might not be a Maesdan thing, too, though. We were pretty big on, you know, lineage."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

"I can understand. There's considerable societal pressure to do the same among my people." It's best not to mention that Siana and Arne are unlikely to have kids. It's not as if she doesn't know. "For what it's worth, I don't think your reasoning here is bad. But I do encourage you to think about what you want, as opposed to what's expected of you."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"But that is what I want." Salt continues, pacing back and forth anxiously. "...It has to be. There's nobody left of my people but Arne himself, my little brother who could not care less, my big sister who would give me the exact same advice, and my uncle who has no stake in the matter and I don't even see for the most part. Who else could I possibly be trying to please?"

The kirin sighs and gives her mane a little shake. "...I just... don't know when to make it a reality." She says quietly. "Not today. There's still too much up in the air for that. But it's going to be someday and I would really like to have some indication of when that would be."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

Dipsnig taps his fingers on his desk. That is a very tangled situation alright. What can he say here, really?

"Now would be too soon, that's certain. Maybe on this day in a year's time you can ask yourself this question again and see if you feel any more confident."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"...Yeah. Okay." Salt shuffles again, staring at the floor. It seems like practical advice wasn't really forthcoming, which wasn't entirely unexpected but still disappointing. "...I suppose that's still more of a plan than 'wait until it feels right'." She says after a moment.

"Check again in a year" isn't really bad advice, she thinks. Just more nebulous than she would have hoped.

That seems like it's about it. Unless Dipsnig is going to say something else now.

Or now.

Maybe now?

...Should Salt say something now? Probably not. If he was planning on saying something she'd end up interrupting him.

Same with now.

...And... also now.

Maybe she should just... kind of imply the conversation's over?

There's a little glow from the tips of her horn as she produces a little bag of coins, which she gently sets on the desk. She did say she was paying him for the consultation, after all. And if he doesn't have anything else to say, then the consultation is over, right?
Last edited by Ironsmith on Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reconnection]

"I do wish I had better advice for you," Dipsnig admits, as if picking up on Siana's disappointment. "But I might be too much of an eccentric in my own culture. I do think you have the right approach, though. Or as right as any approach can be."

Should he say that he can't take Siana's money because his advice wasn't very useful? Probably not. She'd see it as pity or charity.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Reconnection]

"...Honestly, just hearing that helps." Salt says after a moment. "Maybe you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, or at least suspect. But you still told me. Knowing there's not something I'm missing that I could have avoided by asking for advice is still an assurance I didn't have when I walked into the office today." She gives him a little smile. "...So... thank you. Really, I mean it."

She takes a step forward, but then stops and looks down at her hooves. "...Normally, this is the part where I'd say it's good to see you and offer a hug or something before I left, but, um..." She gives an embarrassed little shrug. "...I guess I'll just have to make do without that second part. It's good to see you, mister Razortooth."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Morty wrote: Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm [Familiar Feathered Faces]

Gullara wrote: Feb 02, 2024 2:37 am [Familiar Feathered Faces]

"I'm sure you'll get plenty of those. Bring them in with the pretty face and keep them coming back with a job well done." Valerie winks playfully at the other woman. Bold, but playful.

"Uh, right." Kestrel squints at the form, scribbling in her name and address before immediately running into some trouble. "I don't like... have a phone or anything. Is that going to be a problem?"

It is at this moment that Kestrel is struck with Val's most direct flirt yet (or at least, the most obvious to Kes), in the company of others no less! "Aha, w-well, th-thanks... I'm sure that strategy works better for you than me though." She manages to respond, while staring pointedly down at the forms in a vague attempt to hide the deepening of her blush from Fayyaad besides her.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.