MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 26, 2023 7:16 pm [Socially-Distanced Encounters of the Goat Kind]

"She's a knight too." Jaahlyn vaguely remembered Siana calling herself when she tried to recall more details. "And do you? Since I was going to ask about your relationship to her."

So Siana seemed pretty old-fashioned when it came to relationships and so did this man. Did that mean they had similar marriage aspirations as her own people back in the day? In that case they were probably cousins...
[Socially-Distanced Encounters of the Goat Kind]

"That would point to Gildgreen." Arne confirms, nodding to himself. "Remarkable woman. A better hand with a blade than most could ever hope to be. To this day, I've never sparred with her and emerged the victor." The knight chuckles fondly and shakes his head. "She had a stubborn streak wide enough to drive a horse and buggy, though. It made it rather difficult for her to take orders. She always seemed to have something to prove, though I never quite understood what. If not for the times we lived in, she likely would have been dismissed. Instead, they made her a captain. I suppose Lord Alun decided that, if she wasn't going to take orders, and they couldn't afford to waste her talents, it would be better that she gave them."

Arne lets out a morose sigh and shakes his head. "...I haven't seen her in a few years." He continues. "The last I heard from her, they were moving on Hallower's Rest to try and reclaim the city from a demon that had taken up residence there. I took the lack of news since then to mean that she and her soldiers were unsuccessful. If she ended up here instead, that would be... quite a relief."

Arne straightens. "...But enough about that. How is it that you know her?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

'Remarkable woman'? The satyr's eyebrows raise.
No, Arne was older than Siana so that couldn't possibly be the same person...
But the next part seemed pretty on point though-

-until he got to the 'captain' part.

She tilts her head.

"...she's about sixteen, sir. Got about as much leadership in her as a goat and just as much stubbornness." Since if she was insulting Siana she'd be insulting herself too, so she considered it a fair thing to compare her to. "Oh, and she uses a staff- er, a-" What was that word again?
As respectfully as possible she mimics the way Siana leans on her cane. Which wasn't that easy when you had hooves. "-she leans on it like this. Very fierce woman." Now that she thought about it, perhaps that's what Arne had meant by 'remarkable'?
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Feb 28, 2023 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...That..." Arne looks down at Jaahlyn's legs, or rather, at the space where the cane would be if she were indeed leaning on one. "I... I didn't dare hope..." He looks back up, making eye contact with Jaahlyn again. "That sounds, maybe, like Ty-Maldwyn. She had a cane, yes, for those days when she felt well enough to walk around. I would not have taken her for a knight, but... she always talked about it..." Arne tilts his head quizzically. "...I am getting ahead of myself. You said she was about sixteen... that would be about right, if we are thinking of the same woman. Did she also have black hair, brown eyes, pale skin, and a twisted left leg?"

A lot will have changed about her in the interim, but some details would stay constant.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Feb 28, 2023 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 27, 2023 6:11 pm A Swarthy Applicant

That last bit makes Dena's eyes widen. There were plenty of fighters coming their way, but an actual accountant?
"That does matter actually." She pauses. "When can you start?"
A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr is about to open his mouth for a moment before it registers and he pauses, raising an eyebrow. "...any time, but dare I ask what is special about me being an accountant? It is worrisome when that elicits joy out of a person." He points out. "Then again, I suppose I'm not some official knocking on the front door to run an audit."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cane, that's it!

The satyr nods eagerly in response as that description matched perfectly. Finally she had gotten through!
"That's her, yes. She used to work here but there was a bit of an incident and they had to let her go." Jaahlyn really didn't like how they had handled that but what could she do? She was the eternal servant, not in charge of anything.
"I'm worried about her since she wasn't in the best mental state after what happened. I... thought you might know more but it seems like you haven't seen her in a while."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Wolfbane wrote: Feb 28, 2023 5:02 am A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr is about to open his mouth for a moment before it registers and he pauses, raising an eyebrow. "...any time, but dare I ask what is special about me being an accountant? It is worrisome when that elicits joy out of a person." He points out. "Then again, I suppose I'm not some official knocking on the front door to run an audit."
A Swarthy Applicant

Dena raises her hand as if to stop him. "We have accounts around here, wouldn't be able to run this place without them. You could even say I'm one even if I haven't had any formal training." Krayger probably being one of the few other prominent members she could say was even close to one. "But among the people coming here seeking jobs? You might be the only one." They had to headhunt the others down. Time-consuming work.

But there was a thought that made her pause.

Since there might be only one thing worse than an architect that might have divided loyalties...

"-one question though. That oath of yours. The one preventing you from sharing secrets or whatnot. I assume that applies to your accountant duties as well? Since I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with an accountant that's a member in every other organization. Might need some more details on that to calm my nerves."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Feb 28, 2023 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 28, 2023 9:37 am [Socially-Distanced Encounters of the Goat Kind]

Cane, that's it!

The satyr nods eagerly in response as that description matched perfectly. Finally she had gotten through!
"That's her, yes. She used to work here but there was a bit of an incident and they had to let her go." Jaahlyn really didn't like how they had handled that but what could she do? She was the eternal servant, not in charge of anything.
"I'm worried about her since she wasn't in the best mental state after what happened. I... thought you might know more but it seems like you haven't seen her in a while."

"I haven't seen her in ten years." Arne confirms with a nod. "I am... sorry, to hear what has happened to her. But far more relieved to learn she is even alive in the first place. We had all thought the house of Maldwyn had been eradicated to the last man."

Arne pauses, before taking an awkward step toward Jaahlyn. "I would be very grateful for anything you could tell me about her whereabouts and condition. But even if you can not... I hope you do not think this forward of me, but words do not seem to express it adequately."

And that's when Jaahlyn will, if she does not move out of the way, find herself wrapped up in a pair of armor-clad arms, pulled into a bear hug by the massive knight.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[No Longer Socially-Distanced Encounters of the Goat Kind]

Ten years? No wonder that he barely seemed to know anything about her then.
And her whole house eradicated? This man wasn't from the future or anything like that, was he? Since she had heard people like that sometimes showed up in the nexus.
Then to be fair she barely knew anything about Siana so maybe she just hadn't mentioned that she was the last of her lineage. Kind of like her in a way.

But her considerations of Arne's words are interrupted when he attempts to pull her into a hug. She didn't like the idea of being squeezed by a fully armored man but pulling away would be rude so she just braces herself for the embrace and takes it. At least his smell wasn't such a big deal to her. She had far worse. Indeed, she had smelled worse than him many times her life.

"Er, thank you, sir." She remarks as she gives him an awkward pat on the back. She had memories of this being a common greeting in at least one culture she had lived in but she could never get used to all the squishing involved. "I could try to help you find her." She hears herself offer.
Of course, here we go again.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Uncomfortably Close Encounters of the Goat Kind]

Thankfully, the hug is almost as uncomfortable for Arne as it is for her, at least after a moment, and he lets her go without any more fuss. "Your kindness knows no bounds." He says, teeth flashing under his helmet in a nightmarish imitation of a smile. "...Not immediately, of course. I would rather approach her with the knowledge that I am gainfully employed, if at all possible. If she has been having trouble finding work, I want to be able to help her."

Behind the helmet, what can be seen of Arne's beady eyes seem to be almost glowing. "And, by the same token... if you ever find yourself needing the services of a knight, miss Hesperos, consider mine at your disposal. I can not say enough how much this means to me."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

He said words she had never expected to hear in another life. Truly she had gone soft.
"Usually I'm the one called in to aid, but I will remember that then, sir. Though I must admit, its strange to get such a promise from a man I don't yet know the full name of. Especially if you're planning to join this organization."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Of course." Arne rumbles, the flaps of his helmet pursing inward slightly as he lets out an embarrassed hiss. "I am called Arne. Arne of Blekdal." The knight takes a few steps back and enters into a steep bow. "...If you do not mind my haste to ask, what were the circumstances when you last saw my fiance? Was she... well, physically speaking?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn responds with a bow of her own. "Jaahlyn of the dead." She replies simply.

"And lady Siana had no injuries besides the one's to her pride. Though I admit, those were pretty severe." She gives him a sad smile. "I suggested that perhaps she should join VIGIL or HALO in order to mend those wounds. Though I cannot tell if she followed that advice."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"'Lady'?" Arne's eyebrow shoots up. Clearly, his fiance's gone up in the world, but he didn't expect it was to that degree. Either that or Jaahlyn is using a different system of nomenclature altogether. Probably the latter, the more he thinks about it. "...I see. No, expect she would not have taken being expelled from your organization well. She was always a bit... sore, that way." The knight stands again and straightens up. "And no further word beyond that? ...No, of course not. You will have been busy, won't you?" Arne shakes his head sadly. "...It hardly matters. Just knowing she's alive is plenty for now. If you would permit me to investigate her quarters, perhaps I could find something that could help me track her."

He would explain how, but he strongly suspects asking Jaahlyn point-blank if he can smell Siana's bedsheets would be met with disgust. Even if he explained how much better his sense of smell has gotten over the past few years and that he legitimately could use it for tracking purposes, as he's already done at least once with MERC.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Just Plain Uncomfortably Encounters of the Goat Kind]

"She's a knight. I don't know what other honorifics to use, sir." She called him sir and he hadn't remarked on that yet. Or should she call Siana sir too?

No matter. "But I'm afraid that she emptied her quarters some time ago. Otherwise I wouldn't even have known where they are as I offered her help to pack up her belongings. Someone else might already have moved in in fact. I'm not sure, haven't been there since then." She pauses. "Is there a reason to be especially concerned for her?" Arne certainly didn't want to waste any time tracking her down.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Just Plain Uncomfortable Encounters of the Goat Kind]

"...I reiterate again that she is my fiance." Arne explains, as patiently as he can muster. "Our parents introduced us when we were children. For such a time as we grew up, we grew up together, and both Lord Maldwyn and Lady Skuld were quite clear on the intent for us to marry when we became adults. There are few people in my life I would hold dearer than her, and it would be shameful for me to do anything less than my absolute best to see to it that she is safe." He inclines his head in a little nod to himself. "...From what I gather of the people around here, that is not a common sentiment. But it is our way and I do not intend to abandon it."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The satyr's eyebrows raise as Arne explains his idea of that word, which was yet another meaning she had to attach to it now. Though probably not one she would recall in her next incarnation as there was a low chance of it ever being relevant again.
"Sir, I should say, it has been ten years and you've both gone through a period of change. While I understand your desire to see her you must realize that she won't be the same. Nor are you." She had already told him about the bug thing, or was he ignoring that in favor of the girl that he knew? Pretty typical.

"That said, let's go to her room." she gestures for him to follow and starts leading the way.
But after just a a few minutes of walk she turns to him. "Weren't you on your way to see one of the directors?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Yes. I suppose I was." Arne gurgles, stopping but a few paces from where he had started to follow Jaahlyn. He takes a few moments to consider his options; if he goes to her room first, he might find that it's been cleaned or that it now belonged to somebody else, and the exercise would be pointless, and in addition, overextending his welcome at MERC could jeopardize his chances at getting a license. On the other hand, if he went to the interview first, there wasn't any real danger the evidence was going to disappear in the time it took him to have a conversation.

As much as his instincts say "go forth, brave knight", the more prudent move for both of them is to stay put for now.

"My apologies. I may have been a bit over-urgent in my request."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"No need to apologize. But we're actually here now." Jaahlyn gestures to a door on the side of the corridor they're in which is just ahead.
"So how long does your investigation take? Otherwise I can wait for you in the common room." Which they just went past so Arne should know where it is now.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Not but a few moments." Arne says, stepping into the room and clicking the light on for just a moment before shielding his eyes and clicking it off again.

The knight moves toward the bed slowly, each footfall landing on the floor with a deliberately slow pace, only taking a step forward as the echoes of the last one die away. When he reaches the bed at last, Arne balls up the sheet in one hand and raises it to his helmet, audibly sniffing...

And letting out a low, gurgling growl as he tosses it back to the bed. "I am too late." He snarls. "The linens have already been changed and laundered. The drawers and cabinets are all empty. There is nothing left of her here."

Arne lets out a sigh and retreats from the room, gingerly closing the door behind him.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 28, 2023 9:58 am A Swarthy Applicant

Dena raises her hand as if to stop him. "We have accounts around here, wouldn't be able to run this place without them. You could even say I'm one even if I haven't had any formal training." Krayger probably being one of the few other prominent members she could say was even close to one. "But among the people coming here seeking jobs? You might be the only one." They had to headhunt the others down. Time-consuming work.

But there was a thought that made her pause.

Since there might be only one thing worse than an architect that might have divided loyalties...

"-one question though. That oath of yours. The one preventing you from sharing secrets or whatnot. I assume that applies to your accountant duties as well? Since I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with an accountant that's a member in every other organization. Might need some more details on that to calm my nerves."
A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr snorts before reaching into a pocket to pull out a card. The membership card is a little larger than a business card and stamped out of bronze.

Urist, Urist, Uristsson & Bonebreaker PC LLC
Member Name: Ivarr Stonecutter-Waywalker
Member ID: 12
Expiration Date: Permanent Status

The back of the card has contact information for the agency.

"My oaths to client information security are binding, but more than that I couldn't bring myself to disparage anyone I work for or the Urists, much less myself. A dwarf that falls out of favor so heavily wouldn't be able to find such work again without a fair bit of atonement. " He explains.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Swarthy Applicant

The gorgon takes a quick look at the card. "Uh-huh. Well, membership does involve you signing a bunch of documents that would make sharing that kind of information against our code of conduct and make us able to take legal action against you, etcetera." Dena waves her hand dismissively, clearly not considering this a strong possibility. "So it's not the legality I'm worried about. You do make a strong case though. Obviously we're going to run a background check first-" She makes a circular motion with her hand. "-but you know all this already. So while your official membership and job won't start until next week, provided that's good for you, I'm going to ask you if you're going to need lodging here."

Jaahlyn peers but does not step inside. Fey had some laws concerning private space which to some degree concerned mortals as well.
"I'm guessing you're trying to catch her scent, sir?" She inquires, already starting to lead him in the direction of Dipsnig's office now that was done.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Indeed." Arne confirms, after a moment of hesitation. "My transformation has left me with some extraordinary senses. If I focused, I could likely give you a reasonably accurate account of everyone in the building from the scent of the lobby. Of course, Absum giveth and Absum taketh away..." He waves a gauntlet in front of his eyes, indicating his vision is... not so good. "But overall, a blessing. And given the circumstances of my arrival, perhaps exactly what I will have needed. Absum be praised."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn gives him a smile. "Sir, I'm partly a goat so don't be ashamed for being unusual. I know many that can brag of similar gifts and they wear them as badges of honor." She distinctively recall not seeing her added animal features as gifts back during her 'ascension' so she could empathize with being ashamed of them though.

"If I may ask, and do feel free to decline this request, but are your gifts based on an animal as well?" She then inquires as they stop.
As it turns out Siana's former room and Dipsnig's office weren't that far apart.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

"Come in," says Dipsnig if they knock on the door or otherwise announce themselves. When they do enter, the wolf sleeping next to the goblin's desk wakes up and snarls in Arne's direction.

"Down. Stay down," Dipsnig commands and the wolf remains in place. He looks up at the two. "Any idea why Teerka is reacting like this?" he asks.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Just Plain Uncomfortable Encounters of the Goblin Kind]

Arne nods. "Back when I was in Lord Alun's company, we were engaged in an extensive campaign in the marshes. I had the job of removing the leeches from the other knights, a duty I suspect I received because I was the youngest. This was during the days of the calamity, so food was scarce and we could not afford to waste several buckets of protein when they willingly attached themselves to us."

"...They're actually not half bad with salt." Arne concludes, stopping just outside Dipsnig's door and standing at attention.

At Teerka's snarling, Arne gives no immediate reply, but does his best to remain stoically standing at attention... a task he is doing a fairly admirable job at, if Dipsnig can't see his eyes in his helmet.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Leeches, sir? I see." She would have guessed a canine or something, but considering Siana...
They really started to remind her of the older psychopomps as they were all bugs or at least bug-like. "I know a few leech related people."

She will knock at the door, introduce herself and Arne before entering. Then she will stand juuust by the door, eyeing the wolves nervously. Especially when they start snarling.
"...it's probably the blood, sir." She will remark but let Arne explain in detail.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

Dipsnig looks between Jaahlyn and Arne with an unimpressed expression. They get a steady supply of weirdos in MERC, so he's not particularly surprised or put off - but he is touchy about his wolves, so irritating Teerka puts him on edge as well. He gives a short, low whistle.

"Go to the pen, Teerka," he says, and the wolf obediently leaves the office, growling at Arne again as she does so. It'll be easier to explain it without her snarling and restraining herself.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Arne remains... somewhat stoic as the wolf passes out of the office. When she gets as close to him she's going to, Dipsnig might notice a nervous twitch in the knight's hand, which disappears as soon as Teerka is out of the room.

Meanwhile, it's a good thing for Arne that he doesn't strictly need to breathe, because for the past forty seconds he hasn't been. The compulsion returns shortly after Teerka leaves, and Dipsnig and Jaahlyn will be able to see the gentle rising-falling rhythm of his chest resume under his chestplate.

"My apologies, sir." Arne begins with a little bow. "I have been traveling for some time and my armor may have picked up something your wolf did not much appreciate. I have not had access to the appropriate scouring tools."

He decides it"s best not to mention that those scents might include blood from wolves, humans, some slavers in Skyside, or most recently, goblin blood.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 03, 2023 6:31 pm A Swarthy Applicant

The gorgon takes a quick look at the card. "Uh-huh. Well, membership does involve you signing a bunch of documents that would make sharing that kind of information against our code of conduct and make us able to take legal action against you, etcetera." Dena waves her hand dismissively, clearly not considering this a strong possibility. "So it's not the legality I'm worried about. You do make a strong case though. Obviously we're going to run a background check first-" She makes a circular motion with her hand. "-but you know all this already. So while your official membership and job won't start until next week, provided that's good for you, I'm going to ask you if you're going to need lodging here."
A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr gives a dismissive wave as he pockets the card once more. "I have no trouble finding the Way home from here. And I can be back at a week. I'll gladly give my contacts and phone information as well whenever I sign. Perhaps surprising to many of my kind, I do have a phone at home." He points out with a wry smile. The dwarf still smiles as he rummages through pockets and pouches, pulling out small royal blue block of wax and a signet stamp with a personal rune on it. "So! How much paperwork is there?" It seems he was planning on signing and sealing his paperwork.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Swarthy Applicant

"I'm still going to sign up a room for you, just in case scenarios come up when you can't afford the travel time." Dena declares as she had no idea who would want such a long way to work. Unless they could teleport or something of course. She knew some people liked the walk but it just wasn't efficient with their business plan.

"Plenty of paperwork, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you. Since we're trying to reduce the spending on paper in this office." And so Dena hands him a electronic reading device and an electronic pen.
"Can still give you a paper to put that seal on if you want."