MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Re: MERC

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"Haha... yes... I'm very familiar with Wenomir. He once witnessed me and Magtok's 'Death do us part' vows." Reina's eyes glance aside for a time, perhaps ashamed at the amount of murder that didn't stick.

"Though I can't claim to have seen him in some time. Didn't really know much about him before honestly, though he definitely didn't strike me as the dungeon diving type. What was he doing in there?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

The question makes Dena pause for a moment. "You know... I can't even remember. Might have been some sort of quest. We all get those from time to time, don't we? Either way, it worked out pretty well. Since that boy can move like nothing else. Like watching an arrow in motion except it's going in all directions and is never where his enemies wants him to be. Imagine that must be pretty nice for all the girlfriends that he now has." Dena gives Reina a sly look. "Can you imagine? Elves the whole lot of them yet I don't think he ever even looked at me." She shakes her head.
"Gotta be the snakes, right?"
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[After The Explosion]
Ironsmith wrote: May 23, 2023 10:18 pm "Hey, Fay." Rose greets the tiefling in a surprisingly chipper tone, fidgeting with her new eyepatch a bit in some last-second adjustments. "Yeah. Doctor Bu's doing wonders for me. If not for some recent sensitivity to the term, I'd call her a miracle worker." She smiles and gently guides Fayyaad's hand to her cheek. "Feel that? Flawless. You can't even tell I was a burn victim. If anything, I just got back from the spa."

She lets him go and hops down onto the bed. "So. What brings you to my place today?" She asks cheerfully. "And before you answer, I should let you know the usual routine's off the table for now. Doctor's orders."
"She does seem to have access to some healing science that's a marvel even here," Fayyaad admits. He wasn't sure if Rose would walk again after what happened. "Unfortunate, but understandable. I'll look forward to that changing. I wanted to ask how you're doing and... about your plans."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[After The Explosion]

"Yeah. It says something that she's doing things that stack up favorably compared to actual magic." Rose giggles, running her injured hand through her hair. "(...Yup. Shouldn't have done that. Ooooh that's a weird feeling.)"

Her smile fades a bit as the conversation takes a turn. "Ah, well... I'm doing okay for someone who was maybe five minutes away from death, I suppose." She says with a little shrug. "On my way to a full recovery and not really any more mentally or emotionally fucked up than I was before. That's a better prognosis than most, right?" She gives a little shrug. "So you don't have to worry about me. I'm fine. Or I'll be fine, at any rate."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[After The Explosion]

"Well, you better. I didn't pull you out of there for nothing." Fayyaad smiles slightly, trying to inject some humor into the situation. "What about your plans with Raven? Still want to keep working on her?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[After the Explosion]

"Well, yeah. She still needs work, doesn't she?" Rose replies, nervously fidgeting with her hands. "I know that sounds like tenuous reasoning, but... exactly who do you suppose MERC was going to send in my place if I left now? Even if attempting to push Raven toward less destructive activities doesn't work out, somebody still needs to keep tabs on her, and the list of people who are qualified to do that is dangerously short. There's me, and..." She pauses, letting that sit in the air for a moment, before giving a little shrug. "...Yup."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[After the Explosion]

"I don't know who MERC would send instead. But I do know you almost died once. And I don't want to be scared for you like that again." Fayyaad speaks slowly, trying to put his thoughts in order. "Which means that if you do follow through with it, I'm going to stay close and protect you, one way or another. But... I want to make sure you've thought this through first. You spent a long time with Raven, right? What is she actually like?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"Ohh? You're interested? Looking for a quick hookup with a hard and fast man?" Reina responds with a smirk. The catgirl reaches up and rubs her own ears ponderously. Not elf enough. Good to know. Huh.

"I think a lot of people already consider Drow pretty different from Elves. Maybe they shouldn't, but given how the two are physically distant and culturally seperated..." Reina shrugs a little. "And I had always thought Gorgons to be their own race on top of that rather than something like vampire or werewolf. I can't imagine I'm alone in that."

Reina giggles with a sudden thought. "Or it really is the snakes. Maybe Wenomir is afraid of being compared size-wise. How embarrassing it must be to lose to someone's hair."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

Dena throws one hand up in the air as Reina inquires about her wanting to hook up with Wenomir. "Eh, I think it's mostly me being self-conscious about my heritage. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't want to be called an elf. The word means something else back home so I'm happy of being thought of as 'drow'." The gorgon leans back in her chair. "Besides, Wenomir knew me before I got these-" She gestures at the snakes again. "-so he knows that I wasn't born with them."

Her face then lit up with a smirk as she begins addressing Wenomir's potential self-consciousness. "Now that's a theory I haven't heard before. Wenomir is rather obsessed with swords, that's true. Maybe he was afraid that one of them would mistake it for a mutated snake and bite it if he was especially well-hung." Dena nods as she's all too willing to descend into silly theories. "They are called one-eyed snakes after all." She points out, her index finger raised.
"However, they gained a horseworth of size during the pregnancy so there's no risk for that now. He can rest easy knowing he won't get bit in the dick." The gorgon let's out a laugh.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: May 25, 2023 9:59 pm [After the Explosion]

"I don't know who MERC would send instead. But I do know you almost died once. And I don't want to be scared for you like that again." Fayyaad speaks slowly, trying to put his thoughts in order. "Which means that if you do follow through with it, I'm going to stay close and protect you, one way or another. But... I want to make sure you've thought this through first. You spent a long time with Raven, right? What is she actually like?"
[After the Explosion]

"Ah. Well." Rose clears her throat. "The thing to remember is that Raven's... kinda like dealing with two people at once. On the one side, you have a despotic empress that is head-over-heels in love with thr fact that she's a despotic empress. She wants people to fear and probably even hate her. She wants to be all big and powerful and if that provokes a response from the local league of superheroes, good." Rose weighs her hands briefly. "But on the other side of that, you have an adorably insecure young woman who blushes every time you kiss her and overheats every time she recieves positive attention. Very girl-next-door, in a way." She claps her hands together. "I'm being metaphorical when I say she's two different people, of course. From what I can gather, it's all one complex syndrome of reinforcement learning, social anxiety, and poor upbringing. She's confident as a villainess because that's what she knows and was taught to be, but try approaching her as an ordinary person and she loses all functionality."

"...Or so it appears." Rose shrugs. "People are complicated. I could be wildly off the mark about what's going on under the proverbial hood. But so far, what I've seen fits that model."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"It's for the best really. Being in a harem is quite tiring honestly." Reina pauses for a moment before adding. "Uh, so I've heard." Reina hears a lot of things with those cat ears of hers!

"I'm sure they'll slim down again," Reina suggests to Dena. Just gotta put in the hard work of constant exercise and unhealthy diets.

The catgirl shakes her head. "An unhealthy obsession with swords, surely. That's always compensating for something. He's even named his right? Retort or something like that? You ever notice how only guys name their weapons? I'll bet fifty gold you haven't named any of yours."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"My weapons actually do have names but I sure didn't name 'em. It's, eh, written in their soul by whoever did. Which I know sounds esoteric as fuck but you know how it's said you put a bit of yourself into your creations? Well, our artifacts got parts of their creators souls in 'em. I'm not sure if Wenomir's sword is anything like that but it seems attuned to him somehow. Meaning that I'm pretty sure not just anyone can swing it around like he can." Dena makes a vague circular gesture.

"It's like when you take on a particularly willful horse, it won't let just anyone ride it. Weapons, or tools in general, can be like that too if they got a bit of that 'ol magic." She shrugs. "So I'm actually not sure if he's compensating for something. Sure ain't the largest sword I've seen." Dena gives Reina conspiratorial look. "And sometimes, it is exactly what it appears to be. I mean, look at Kirk. He got that knife thing going on, yeah? Been around here for ancestors knows how long and he still always carry like a dozen knives with him. Those are also pretty representative of the kind of downstairs power he got going if you catch my drift. Small but clever."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

"Alright!" Olvisin gives Jerick an energetic clap on the back when the paperwork is done. "Let's start out with meeting my siblings. They're also small folk who like to tinker so you'll fit right in."

[After the Explosion]

Fayyaad rubs his forehead. That's... a lot to unpack but Rose is undeniably good at peering behind a person's eyes.

"I think I see what you mean. I've met such people. Their nature clashes with what they think they need to be. It's clear you do know her well. So I trust that you know what you're doing. But I want to keep you safe all the same."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[After The Explosion]

"I appreciate it." Rose smiles and gives Fayyaad a little peck on the cheek. "We'll have to be careful about how we go about doing that, of course. I'm not entirely sure how she'd react if she saw you. Especially if it's clear she's not supposed to see you." She puts a finger to her chin. "While simultaneously, it wouldn't do to have you too far away to help if something did happen. And that aside... MERC has other assignments for you, as well. We'd need to talk with Dippy about either putting those on hold or coordinating them so we can both do our jobs effectively."

Rose's smile turns a bit weary. "...Lots to think about, in that department."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: May 29, 2023 3:26 pm [New Recruit]

"Alright!" Olvisin gives Jerick an energetic clap on the back when the paperwork is done. "Let's start out with meeting my siblings. They're also small folk who like to tinker so you'll fit right in."

[After the Explosion]

Fayyaad rubs his forehead. That's... a lot to unpack but Rose is undeniably good at peering behind a person's eyes.

"I think I see what you mean. I've met such people. Their nature clashes with what they think they need to be. It's clear you do know her well. So I trust that you know what you're doing. But I want to keep you safe all the same."
Jerick reads over the paperwork one last time, making sure he fully understands what he has signed up for. "Yes, that sounds fun! Maybe they can teach me about electricity, in exchange for some of my secrets perhaps." He folds the paperwork, and puts it in one of his bags along with his new ID.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[After The Explosion]

Fayyaad sighs and deflates. His gallant desire for protecting Rose does come with logistical troubles.

"Yes... I am just a license holder so it gives me more leeway... but I can't really abandon my usual jobs. But there's got to be something we can do."

[New Recruit]

Olvisin departs with Jerick, leading him through the corridors to one of the rooms in the back. It seems to be one of the workshops, where two male goblins are working on what looks like a cannon. One of them is lanky and generally small, while the other is tall and broad-shouldered (for a goblin).

"Olvisin? Who's this with you?" asks the smaller goblin.

"This is Jerick, a fresh recruit. I brought in another one. They ought to give me a raise. Jerick, these are Kuvesh and Luuvat." She points to the larger goblin and then the smaller one. "Where's Zaalmin?"

"She's getting some supplies. We're low on machine oil. This project got away from us."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: May 30, 2023 9:58 pm [After The Explosion]

Fayyaad sighs and deflates. His gallant desire for protecting Rose does come with logistical troubles.

"Yes... I am just a license holder so it gives me more leeway... but I can't really abandon my usual jobs. But there's got to be something we can do."

[New Recruit]

Olvisin departs with Jerick, leading him through the corridors to one of the rooms in the back. It seems to be one of the workshops, where two male goblins are working on what looks like a cannon. One of them is lanky and generally small, while the other is tall and broad-shouldered (for a goblin).

"Olvisin? Who's this with you?" asks the smaller goblin.

"This is Jerick, a fresh recruit. I brought in another one. They ought to give me a raise. Jerick, these are Kuvesh and Luuvat." She points to the larger goblin and then the smaller one. "Where's Zaalmin?"

"She's getting some supplies. We're low on machine oil. This project got away from us."
Jerick takes a look at the two goblins. They seemed to Jerick to be much less people-y than Olvisin, but first impressions aren't everything after all. "If you're low on oil, I think I could whip up something similar while Zaalmin is gone. Won't be as flammable though. If you're using oil for its flammability, I have that, too.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: May 30, 2023 9:58 pm [After The Explosion]

[After The Explosion]

"If the issue's money, I could set some aside to keep your pocket full while we're doing this." Rose points out. "That shouldn't even be a hard sell to Dippy, since the long and short of it would be me hiring you as a personal bodyguard until further notice. If you're worried about your obligation to these other clients... admittedly, I don't have as ready an answer for that. I can't exactly just magic you up a doctor's note or something." She grins and shakes her head. "If nothing else, we could probably still arrange a panic button setup of some kind. Keep your carpet on hand and be ready to come to my location if there's an emergency. Sort of what you did after the explosion, but with more planning and prep work."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"Well you're allowed to name something you literally pour your soul into. That's a blacksmith's right. And quite a bit different than what I'm talking about." Reina's heard of the process before. She's hunted many a treasure! The shades and varieties of magical items are quite well known to the wealth redistribution expert.

Reina does raise an eyebrow as Dena begins discussing Kirk's physical equipment. "Clever is certainly a... unique take on a package. I guess power and endurance would be more Krayger's forte than Kirk's. But if you want clever you need to get them to use their tongue first and foremost. Find the talkers and silence them. Granted, I concede your experience is probably greater than mine." Dena knows what she's talking about while Reina has been a female human-like creature for a much shorter time and admittedly still stumbles along.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"Eh, people put too much importance in size." Dena remarks, shrugging. "I know that the visuals are important but when it comes to the performance itself it's pretty much the same. Even easier in some ways." She nods and gestures to Reina. "But yeah, you got a point there. Tongue trumps dick a lot of the time since it's more flexible."

A beat.

"Isn't Krayger mostly into guys? I know that he's bi but I always figured he heavily leaned towards the dude side of things. All I know for sure is that isn't interested in me." The gorgon smirks.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[After The Explosion]

"That will do, for a start." Knowing he's doing something will go a long way towards easing Fayyaad's mind. "In the long term, I'll see how many of my obligations can be finessed. And you'll rest easier knowing a dashing adventurer is ready to swoop in to your rescue." He leans over to give Rose a kiss on the forehead.

[New Recruit]

"Flammability isn't what we're after."

"Not yet, anyway."

"Yes, we've got ambitious plans and who wouldn't want a cannon that shoots fire? But at this stage we just need to grease some parts."

"But if you want to help, feel free. We're making a cannon for another MERC member."

"We borrowed his cannon to take out a guy who wanted to kill Olvisin. But he blew it up."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: May 31, 2023 9:26 pm [After The Explosion]

"That will do, for a start." Knowing he's doing something will go a long way towards easing Fayyaad's mind. "In the long term, I'll see how many of my obligations can be finessed. And you'll rest easier knowing a dashing adventurer is ready to swoop in to your rescue." He leans over to give Rose a kiss on the forehead.

[New Recruit]

"Flammability isn't what we're after."

"Not yet, anyway."

"Yes, we've got ambitious plans and who wouldn't want a cannon that shoots fire? But at this stage we just need to grease some parts."

"But if you want to help, feel free. We're making a cannon for another MERC member."

"We borrowed his cannon to take out a guy who wanted to kill Olvisin. But he blew it up."
"In that case, yes. I am able to help with that. It is more of a temporary solution as oil is still better long-term, but it will do in the meantime." Jerick takes out a vial of a runny brick-colored fluid and a larger vial of a viscous clear substance. He pours the runny liquid into the larger vial, replaces the cork, and starts shaking. After a moment, a dark green, odorless liquid remained. " Just apply it like you would normal oil. After about an hour and a half, it will have completely evaporated. Jerick holds out the substance.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: May 31, 2023 9:26 pm [After The Explosion]

[After The Explosion]

Rose giggles and gives Fayyaad a little boop on the nose. "Careful there. You're going to mess around and make me do something I shouldn't tell Doctor Bu about." She quips. "...Is that all you wanted to talk about, then?" She asks, producing a small squarish container, popping it open, and dumping the contained capsules out into her palm. "Not, ah... not anything else on your mind?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"Don't underestimate big and rough. The most memorable nights are the ones you can barely walk away from in the morning," Reina asserts. Reina likes it rough. Absolutely no one is surprised.

The oracle tilts her head. "Don't be so sure. I know I've seen Krayger checking me and a few other women out, even if he hides it well and remains respectful. He probably is interested in you," Reina says, her hand sweeping towards Dena to indicate the full package. "But you're also our boss. Of a group of more or less professionals. You're surrounded by people who would consider it uncivil and a dangerously bad idea to make a move on you purely because of office-place drama. Well... I'm sure you'll find exceptions, but that's going to be the overall sentiment."

Dating your boss is all well and good until something goes wrong and the break up is accompanied by getting fired. Or worse, things go perfect and your co-workers start accusing you of getting favored treatment for promotions and end of year bonuses.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"Now you're sounding like Tina." Dena let's out a chuckle.
"But you think so, huh? I mean, what you say is true. Usually wise to not go after the boss. Which is why I or Kirk haven't tried seducing Dippy yet." This claim is made absolutely straight faced.
"But I'm not so vain as to think every guy in the office has the hots for me. To some the snakes are a deal breaker and I think Krayger is one of them, or whatever other reason he might have. Can I definitively prove this? No. But I think I've been around the dude long enough to catch on to stuff like that." She strokes her chin.
"You know what? We should make it a bet. Winner gets to pick the dungeon we're going to."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

The three goblins watch the process with clear interest.

"How did you do that?" Luuvat asks as he takes the bottle.

"However it happened, it lets us work before Zaalmin gets here with the oil."

"And in honor of your contribution, you can suggest a feature to add to the cannon."

[After The Explosion]

"It's a curse, being so irresistible," Fayyaad quips back. Then he seems unsure what else to say. "...I think that's it. I care about you and I don't want you to get hurt like that again."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[After The Explosion]

"...Ah."

Somehow Rose manages to make the little declaration sound disappointed.

"...Well, yeah. That's... that's the appropriate response, isn't it?" Rose continues, weighing the capsules in her hands. "We're coworkers, for the most part. With a side helping of benefits. But mostly coworkers."

She upends the capsules into her mouth and swallows.

"...If that's everything, then... I'm sure you've got other things to do today. And I really should be resting." Rose offers, at least trying to give Fayyaad the courtesy of an easy out.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jun 02, 2023 6:02 pm [New Recruit]

The three goblins watch the process with clear interest.

"How did you do that?" Luuvat asks as he takes the bottle.

"However it happened, it lets us work before Zaalmin gets here with the oil."

"And in honor of your contribution, you can suggest a feature to add to the cannon."

[After The Explosion]

"It's a curse, being so irresistible," Fayyaad quips back. Then he seems unsure what else to say. "...I think that's it. I care about you and I don't want you to get hurt like that again."
"Oh, it's just equal parts ebberberry juice and heavily diluted gray ooze shaken vigorously. Anyway, about the modification..." Jerick took off all of his pouches and set them on the ground next to the cannon. He began examining the cannon, seeing what it already had. "So, what all does the cannon do currently and how does it do it?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"Deal," Reina says without hesitation. "So what're we gonna do? Flank Krayger on both sides and see if he pays more attention to me or to you as we flirt with him? You'll have to dress in something a little skimpier to make this an even match. Or skip straight to the point and have you ask him out on a date? We can't just ask if he's interested, he could lie to save his face and job."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"I was just going to have a meeting with him where I ask if my snakes make him uncomfortable. As his boss I'm supposed to consider his needs after all so that'd be a way to frame it." And honestly that would be good information to have anyway. "Then I suppose I could either tape his reaction or you could be there to determine if he's attracted to me or not. That or you could simply ask him in private. Can't be too hard to spin, right? But if we're assuming that he will lie if asked I dunno how we'd determine the winner. Since both of us will be biased. We'd need a neutral judge of sort and this is already getting pretty complex."

Dena was already starting to regret making this bet since it was turning into a Big Deal. A big deal which would make them look pretty childish if it came out.