MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: MERC

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

"Oh come on, that's impossible." Valerie giggles. "Actually they're super curious to meet another tiefling. They only know each other and their mom after all."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sparring Area]

Violet starts projecting letters in the air.

THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH, YEAH.
RETURN TO MY OFFICE NOW.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Interruption

"Huh, really? I didn't realize that - none of their classmates are tieflings either? I figured we were sorta common in the Nexus, even if, well, the specific type of tiefling Astrana and I are isn't." The comment about her being incapable of overhyping flatters Leis a little, but she doesn't comment on it. Instead, she asks, "Oh, anything I should know about them beforehand? I feel like I know a lot already, but..."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sparring Area]

Septimus stares at the letters with an almost obsessive level of fascination, but when Violet inevitably stops projecting them ("Aw."), the elf retrieves his robe and puts it back on, tying the belt with a quick, practiced motion to bring himself back up to socially acceptable levels of clothing. He then, of course, does as instructed and starts walking back to Dena's office, still wincing at the rib injury.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

Valerie considers. "Well I guess there might be, but none that are quite the same as they are either, you know?" She shrugs. "Oh there's probably too much for you to keep track of. They've got such different interests considering how close they are to each other. Like Rosabel came home asking about video games recently. I've never heard anything about that from them bef-"

Val's bab talk is interrupted by a voice coming around the corner ahead of them. "I don't want to hear it, and if I turn my back, I don't have to."

"Huh? Is that-"

Kirk comes rounding the corner, a baleful look on his face. He seems intent on marching right down the hall past them. Val startles and presses herself against the wall as he approaches.
~Images by Soushiyo
WarKitty
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by WarKitty »

[The Lab]

Among other things, yes, yes it has. Now, could someone please move one of the warded test dummies into the arena?
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Interruption

"Oh, I see," Leis responds, nodding. There's a pretty wide range of varieties of tielfing and the ways their heritage may originate or manifest, and it only makes sense that it might mean any classmates they have are still distinctly different in appearance. She's all too happy to listen to Valerie share more bab details, only to startle when Kirk shows up. Her tail goes entirely straight for a moment as she breaks away to the opposite wall and looks at him nervously.

Behind Kirk, Cantata breaks off mid-sign and lowers her hands with a loud, perhaps overly-dramatic huff. She stalks down after him with righteous intent, her shoulders tense - and once she's close enough, she reaches out and grabs for Kirk's arm, attempting to stop him mid-stride and pull him back to face her none-too-gently.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Gold wrote: Aug 13, 2022 6:18 pm [Briefing Room]

Frigate is soon followed by Solenoid. The effeminate robot is shaped just like an average human woman, but with silver metal plating for skin. She's wearing her signature red backless/sleeveless sweater, and has her sniper rifle and rail cannon on her back. In a divot between her shoulder blades rests a small point of light, while on her head she wears a white sun hat and on her feet some short, flat black heels.

Solenoid can't help but notice that Frigate seems to be a robot, just like her. What a pleasant surprise!
Murkus wrote: Aug 15, 2022 7:57 pm Fettina pops in here as well. She sees the others and lets her chrome shell flow over her skin, leaving her looking like a steely angel. Look, now they all match! Sort of... "We're color coded!" She declares, smiling and waving at the other people. She looks to Dipsnig and salutes. "Reporting, boss!"
Morty wrote: Aug 16, 2022 8:12 pm "Good, you're all here," Dipsnig says, acknowledging each of the three mercenaries with a nod. "This will be the first mission for two of you, but Frigate will keep an eye on you. Our job is to get rid of demons inhabiting a neighborhood called Hell's Bend in Riverside. They ended up there after an... incident Frigate is familiar with. The city doesn't appreciate them being there. Ideally, we'll resolve the situation without having to use force."
Quite an unusual robot; Frigate ticks as though he's clockwork, and his fingers- whilst articulated- don't seem to have any associated mechanisms to allow them to move. His own firearms are much cruder- though finely made- than Solenoid's, too.

"Aye, I do be knowin' some o' the background. Not be knowin' you lubbers, though. I be Frigate. How much o' the background should I be sharin', cap'n?" His head swivels around to look at Dipsnig at the last, and the bulky warforged leans over slightly since what passes for his neck is clearly incapable of bending. "I note one o' me new shipmates be packin' a jezzail; should I be packin' more firepower'n me standard, too?" Frigate has a deck gun, a blunderbuss and a volleygun in his quarters, as well as quite a lot of nautical memoribilia.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

Kirk spins around and flicks his arm to get her hand off him. "Fine. If you want to continue this you can do it in my office." Kirk makes a harsh gesture for her to start walking that way.

Val gives Leis a wide eyed look but keeps quiet. She does not want to get involved.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Interruption

Cantata draws her hand away like its been stung and crosses her arms, affixing the taller man with an irritated glare. She finally responds with a quick, abrupt sign and moves to start heading towards the office, looking back over her shoulder to Kirk as she does so.

Leis returns a look of mild shock - and though she doesn't even need to speak to explain what she's thinking, she does so anyways once the two are gone, returning to Valerie's side. "Holy fuck, what was that about?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

Kirk makes a sharp gesture back at Cantata when she look back then follows with the same temperament he arrived with.

Valerie watches after them as the move out of site. "I don't know... It's not the first time I've seen them bickering, but that was more intense than usual I think." She turns back to Leis. "Do you think we should tell someone? That's gotta be, like, an HR incident, right?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Interruption

Um, yeah, they definitely both seemed really angry with each other." Leis looks hesitant as she thinks for a moment. "I mean, if they've been at it for a while and things just keep getting worse, we definitely should at least mention it to someone. Do you think it's worth like, a full incident report or something though?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

"I don't know... Maybe just something anonymous. I mean, he's one of the lieutenants. I don't want to get too caught up in it. Too messy." She shrugs helplessly.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Interruption

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right," Leis responds, nodding. "I don't want to spark anything either, but we need to say something. We can go write something together, leave it at Dena or Dipsnig's office."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

"Yeah, let's do that. We can get it right that way." Valerie nods. "But let's get lunch first. We're starving." Valerie pats her belly and winks, her mood lighter now that they have a plan.
~Images by Soushiyo
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

"So, clear area of demons. Well, sir, you picked the right lady for the job." Solenoid quips.

"It's great to be meeting both of you for the first time." she says. "Name's Solenoid."
A voice pipes up from the point of light on her back. "And I am Cookiebite, Solenoid's guardian angel."

"Say, I haven't seen a jezzail in a few years. If you mean my rifle and railgun, though, I always carry these things."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Briefing Room]

"So... demons," Fettina puts her hands on her hips. "But we're hoping not to have to use force? We're, like, evicting them? What do we do if they don't wanna leave?" In Tina's mind, when you think of a 'demon' you think of a living incarnation of evil, and that sounds mostly bad.

"Oh, it's nice to meet you both too. I'm Fettina," she gives a very slight bow and spreads her wings. She raises her eyebrows and points at Frigate. "He's a pirate! A robot pirate! I love it!"

She glances at Frigate's weapons. He's thinking about bringing more? She feels underarmed!

[Cantie Banties]

"Boy, do you," says Tina. "And thanks. It'll be a weight off my mind."

Fettina arches one slim brow at Cantie's other jest. "If Kirk was smug with me about you getting hurt I'd knock his block off. And that goes for you too!" She wags a finger. "I hear you two have been really going at it lately."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Cantie Banties]

Cantata titters silently at her wife's response, though her expression turns somewhat guilty as Tina continues. "That is one way to describe it. I don't know why - we just can't stop going after each other lately. I don't know what his problem is." The empath caps off her signing with an exasperated shrug.

"I'll try and convince him to cool off next time I see him, I'm sure I can hold things together long enough for that." After a moment, she smiles. "Until then, I should start looking into this Helios job. Is there anyone I should go and talk to about it?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[Briefing Room]

"If they won't leave, impress on them that we're ready to escalate," Dipsnig says. "But don't take forceful action without my go-ahead. Get the lay of the land first, see what we're dealing with. This will need a measured approach. Defend yourself if necessary, of course. Once we have a clear situation, we'll decide how to proceed."

[Sparring Area]

Fayyaad follows Septimus back, curious what Dena has to say about all this.
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

After someone brought in a training dummy and everyone was safely behind the observing glass, Jerick took out 3 of the vials of silvery fluid. He shook the first vial, and it turned a cloudy gray. He then threw it at the dummy. On impact, it created a thunderous crash that shook the entire room and knocked over any loose items that happened to be there.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sparring Area==> Dena's Office]

Dena leans back in her chair as they enter the room. "So what did you two think that went? I'd like to hear your opinions first before I give mine." She inquires, Violet floating up to her side and goes into observation mode.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Dena's Office]

"I was fooled by a simple trick and got hurt." Septimus replies. "Clearly, I need more practice before I am ready to work as a soldier. If you do not wish to hire me, I understand entirely."

Apparently, the corresponding injury on his sparring partner means absolutely nothing to him.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Dena's Office]

"I wouldn't characterize it this way," Fayyaad interjects. "He had me on the back foot for most of the fight. It was only by using the trick with a plume of smoke that I was able to land a blow at all."

[The Lab]

Olvisin winces at the noise that stings her sensitive goblin ears.

"That was a pretty straightforward result, I'd say."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Morty wrote: Aug 18, 2022 7:05 pm [Briefing Room]

"If they won't leave, impress on them that we're ready to escalate," Dipsnig says. "But don't take forceful action without my go-ahead. Get the lay of the land first, see what we're dealing with. This will need a measured approach. Defend yourself if necessary, of course. Once we have a clear situation, we'll decide how to proceed."
Gold wrote: Aug 17, 2022 6:15 am "So, clear area of demons. Well, sir, you picked the right lady for the job." Solenoid quips.

"It's great to be meeting both of you for the first time." she says. "Name's Solenoid."
A voice pipes up from the point of light on her back. "And I am Cookiebite, Solenoid's guardian angel."

"Say, I haven't seen a jezzail in a few years. If you mean my rifle and railgun, though, I always carry these things."
Murkus wrote: Aug 17, 2022 10:21 pm"So... demons," Fettina puts her hands on her hips. "But we're hoping not to have to use force? We're, like, evicting them? What do we do if they don't wanna leave?" In Tina's mind, when you think of a 'demon' you think of a living incarnation of evil, and that sounds mostly bad.

"Oh, it's nice to meet you both too. I'm Fettina," she gives a very slight bow and spreads her wings. She raises her eyebrows and points at Frigate. "He's a pirate! A robot pirate! I love it!"

She glances at Frigate's weapons. He's thinking about bringing more? She feels underarmed!
"Aye, cap'n." Frigate turns his head to look over the other two, especially Fettina when she comments on him being a robot pirate. "I dunno th' word 'robot'. I be warforged, crafted by a warsmith t' be their bodyguard. I have done a bit o' piratin', though not since they hung me for it." It didn't work, obviously, except possibly as a deterrent to stop Frigate doing it again.

"I dunno railgun either. Not a gun mounted on rails like th' ones I've seen afore, though if it be rifled it be a fine piece o' work, I'm sure." Frigate's mostly encountered guns that have been hand-made, with rifling being very expensive. Frigate's own pistols are rifled, but many are not.

Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

Slight misconception there: only they're hoping not to have to use force.

Solenoid looks at Fettina. "Hey... you're an angel, aren't you? If you are, that's pretty cool."

When Frigate mentions the railgun, Solenoid says "Well, railguns aren't exactly rifled. Not this one, anyways. Doesn't make it any less worthy to rest on my back, though."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Cantie Banties]

"He can be a real pain in the ass. He's... also a sweetheart somewhere deep down. I promise." Fettina says. She signs the word for 'deep' with emphasis, a couple of times. "Deep, deep down." Tina didn't want to be too hard on Kirk - she really didn't get what the beef was between them. She had to think it was mostly Kirk sparking things off, but she wasn't going to judge what he was feeling too harshly. It isn't as though he's ever been very good at grappling with his emotions.

"I'd check with Dena. And be careful," she tells Cantie, leaning in to peck her in the cheek.

[Briefing Room]

"Take the lay of the land, got it," Fettina says, knocking off another silly little salute to Dipsnig. She was tempted to make some kind of joke about laying, but what kind of impression would that make? "I hope I can get some of them to talk to me. I don't know if I'll have any big fans down there." Her wings and angelic... everything, after all.

"Well, a robot is sort of like an... an artificial person. A person that was built, instead of born. Not that there's anything wrong with that," Fettina nods.

"And yeah, I'm an angel, that's right! Well. I'm a human, too. I think." Can she be both at once? She hopes so.

She comes back around to Dipsnig. "Anything else we should know?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"Mm..." Dena turns to look at Septimus. "So then let me ask you this, Septimus. What kind of role would you like to have within MERC? Since the way I see it, you seem to have a hard time understanding directions due to a language barrier. Do you agree with that assessment?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Briefing Room]

"Don't start anything without a plan," Dipsnig emphasises. "Defend yourself if you have to, of course. But the situation there is precarious enough, so we need to be careful."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Briefing Room

"Mayhaps, after this, ye can come to me room, an' look at me own collection o' firearms." They're all pretty antique, and some aren't in the best of conditions as Frigate has salvaged them from shipwrecks and the sea floor.

"So pack what ye're comfortable with, be me guess, but don't expect t' use it. Our first weapon be parlay, aye?" Frigate kinda hopes Solenoid or Tina are good at that, since he can be quite intimidating and his accent might make it harder for him to be understood.

Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

"Well, it's a little more specific than that, but that's probably the best way to explain it without delving into semantics." Solenoid says in response to Fettina's definition of a robot.

She replies to Frigate with "Really? I'd love to!"

Well, that's a little disappointing to hear, but not too much. After all, she knows her talk is a little better than cheap. "That's alright by me. Though, I'm also a little worried the demons might find me hard to talk to." Or she might find it hard to talk to them. One did kill her, after all.