MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: MERC

Post by Arkhosia »

[JaahlynQuest]

"Oh! I see!" Dulcie moves to get up, jotting the number into her phone. "Thank you so much for your help, Mr. Razortooth. You have been wonderful to work with!" Flashing one last bright smile, she heads to leave.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

With the mask situated on Sophie's head, a pulsing echo can be heard in the back of her mind. An invitation to the parlor, to chat. Should Sophie accept, she'll be brought into a mindscape.

It's quiet here, under a starry night sky, though even at night this place is warm, and the sands beneath Sophie's feet match the hot air. It's savannah as far as the eye can see in every direction, not that that's particularly far given the darkness of the night, and Sophie stands on the bank of a river, unable to see the one who invited her within.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

Without any conscious effort on her part, Sophie appears in the mindscape in a different outfit than the one she came to MERC in. Her physical body wears a sweatshirt, jeans and t-shirt, but the Sophie that appears here is wearing a long, white robe that exposes her shoulders and is barefoot.

"Here I am," she says. The Eclipse Caste mark shines on her forehead.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

"So you are, Crowned Sun," a deep voice says, echoing throughout the mindscape, coming from no source in particular, "You seek my blessing. A child, born of you and your partner, despite your incompatible sexes. This is within my power, but you are a negotiator. You know nothing desired is free."

That's already an opening gambit to the negotiation; setting an expectation of Sophie taking the first initiative. How very appropriate for a creature that prefers to lie in wait to ambush its prey.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

Sophie's eyes glow gold briefly as she sweeps the area around her, seeking anything hidden with the Unconquered Sun's own sight. This looks like the country her grandparents had come from. Ironic.

"That is certainly true, but I know you have your own desires from this situation. Tell me what you want."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

Sophie's eyes will lock onto the crocodile spirit, hiding in perhaps the most obvious place it could have - in the water, masked by the dark waters and the night, but the eyes of the Sol Invictus are not so weak as to be defeated by mere murk and darkness. The spirit, recognizing it's been spotted, floats to the surface, back and face breaching the surface of the water, a show of accepting Sophie's gaze.

"Perhaps I wish for your child. The Sun-Kissed have delicious souls, after all."

It's playing games. Skirting around the answer to Sophie's demand. It doesn't want to be put on the backfoot here.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

Sophie's bright eyes settle on the spirit and she smiles slightly, as if amused by the exchange.

"But you're too old and wise a spirit to risk the ire of a Solar Exalt and a warlock. Not when you can bargain with them in earnest."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

"You speak true," the spirit says, lazily swimming along the bank of the river. It stares up at Sophie with yellow eyes that seem to glow in the night, though the crocodilian form its taken isn't remarkable in any way. It's not even particularly large. Though it does seem to appreciate the flattery, "What I want in truth is for the child to bear my mark. Something... simple. A sign that they carry my blessing. One that will be clear to outsiders. Perhaps the eyes? Your wife's eyes are so drab, so empty; it would be a shame for the children to inherit them."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

"I think Trick's eyes are beautiful, but there's no accounting for taste," Sophie shoots back. It looks like she takes offence to an unflattering description of her spouse... which it is, to a degree, but she's also doing it to control the pace of the negotiation. "Tieflings with crocodile eyes won't turn anyone's head in the Nexus. They will blend in. It's the same with other outward traits. To really carry your influence, the gift should be something that gives them strength and good fortune."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

"You ask for much, Crowned Sun," the spirit says, eyeing Sophie as it slows to a stop on the bank, "Do not think I don't see what you wish for. Hidden. Shut away from the world, hidden. If I am to give my blessing, it must be visible."

It clearly has more to say, but waits, watching Sophie. Baiting her.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

"I would be a poor negotiator if I didn't take a strong position," Sophie replies with a pleasant smile. "We can both get what we want here. Your blessing with an accompanying visible sign. As a tiefling, our child will have a tail. It can look like a crocodile's tail, to carry your mark. And it will give them an affinity for water and strong swimming skills."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

"Hnnnnnnnn," The spirit seems pleased as it rumbles, and upon short legs it crawls up onto the bank, "A deal. A child of the water, one of the greatest tools I can provide, and a visible sign of my favor. Yes. Give me your hand, Solar. We shall make your child agile."

And it opens its jaws wide, inviting Sophie to stick her hand within.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

Sophie sticks her hand in the crocodile's maw. A brief, irrational thought tells her that Tobias would likely have a field day if he saw her doing this.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

The spirit clamps down, fast enough that only those with superhuman reaction times would be able to escape.

Despite this, there is no pain. Simply a flow of energy from one being to another, as the spirit slowly moves into Sophie, granting her its progenitive power without taking away the solar's control. Yes, this will be everything she needs...
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

Sophie retracts her hands once the power transfer is complete, smiling. She's pleased that the deal was made but she also feels a... need to carry out the next phase of the process.

"Thank you, spirit. I hope our child does you proud."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

And with that, Sophie opens her eyes, Trick waiting patiently as she sits against the wall.

"So, how'd it go?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Ritual]

Sophie takes a deep breath and turns back towards Trick, smiling. She steps forward, hips swaying and eyes locked with her wife's. She shrugs off her sweatshirt.

"I made the deal. The spirit insisted on a physical mark and suggested eyes. I met it in the middle, asking to give our child an affinity for water with a crocodile tail to go with it. Now all we need to do is... conceive."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[The Ritual]

Trick blinks. Sophie had been awkward before the ritual, worried about the erotic parts of this particular plan. But despite that, she seems so eager, confident now. It's a rather attractive look.

The tiefling doffs her jacket and moves to take Sophie's hand in her own, a smile spreading across her lips, "Well. We'd best get to it before the blessing fades, then."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Entryway]

tnk... tnk... tnk...

The sounds and smells of the black-armored knight reach the desk before he does. The deep, measured, repetitive sound of heavy armored boots falling against the floor echo through the lobby, much as they had done not so long ago. The scent of rot, decaying bodies and old blood, creeps out just ahead of the towering figure.

The massive knight stops just short of the counter, standing stock-straight and, if there is nobody present to deal with it immediately, reaches out and taps the bell, before resuming its standing still, waiting with its arms folded over its chest.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Entryway]

The newcomer will find himself in the lobby of the main office. However, it looks like the help desk is currently unoccupied.
Instead there's a sign reading "WILL BE RIGHT BACK" on the desk.

Oh and there's also a black goat next to the sign, lazily chewing on what seems to be documents it must have gotten from one of the trays.

As Arne enters the room it turns to stare him in the eyes yet never stops chewing.
There's a bauble tied to its tail which seems to contain a hourglass filled with black sand which keeps shifting around as if it had been a lava lamp if Arne is any familiar with them.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Entryway]

...A goat.

It's difficult to see under the helmet, but one of Arne's eye...brows(?) lifts slightly as he regards the inexplicably-placed farm life in front of him. What... exactly is that?

Well, obviously it's a goat. He can see that very plainly. But it's probably no ordinary goat, since ordinary goats typically don't have obvious magical relics tied to their tails. Nor are they typically left in office lobbies unattended... but then again, the reasons why don't seem to be a bother to this organization.

Arne's gaze flicks across the room, looking back and forth to see if anybody else is in the lobby. Seeing nobody, his attention turns back to the goat, which he watches impassively for a moment before finally making a move, taking a few steps back before moving around in an arc to approach it at about a forty-five degree angle, kneeling about a meter away and reaching into a hip-mounted bag to produce a handful of dried apple chunks.

"Ho, girl." He calls in a low tone, holding the apple chunks in his hand and waiting for her to come to him, if she's going to.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Entryway]

The goat calmly continues chewing on its documents until Arne displays the apple chunks. Then she suddenly spits out the document and quickly approaches to claim those apple chunks with its mouth. Intending to greedily devour them all.
The scent of rot and decay coming from Arne probably keeps most animals, and people, at bay but not this goat which doesn't seem to mind it at all.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Entryway]

"Easy." Arne admonishes quietly, closing his fist around the apple so the goat doesn't immediately swallow the lot of them. Well, at least he has her attention, in a somewhat-positive way. Now he just needs to be careful about how he goes about using it.

After a moment of holding back on the treats, Arne relents and slides one chunk up where the goat can get at it, letting her take it one bit at a time. So long as she remains calm and friendly, Arne has food for her.

If she takes the first chunk, Arne will wait a moment before un-palming the second, giving her ample time to chew and generally enjoy the treat before offering another. At the same time, he'll gently reach out and present another offer of gentle, affectionate scratches on her shoulder, trusting the gesture to carry through his gauntlet much better than a pat on the head or anything comparable.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Entryway

There is the muffled sound of a toilet flushing and a door opens revealing a large brown minotaur in a button-down shirt and khaki pants.
He looks at the pair in front of him and sighs as his eyes meet the goat.
"Come on, Jaahlyn. The front desk? Really?" he asks, easing down into the desk chair. He's never had a conversation with Jaahlyn. He just has seen her and is aware that she can be a goat.
"What can I help you with?" he asks the knight.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Entryway]

The goat gives him a suspicious look as he suddenly withholds the seemingly promised treats. She had given up on the documents for this!
It meets his eyes with its queer black eyes and wait for him to relent.
As he opens his fist once more its gaze lingers even as she cautiously nibs an apple out of his palm and starts chewing.
This continues even as he starts scratching the goat.

However, even as greedily the goat is devouring those apples her hunger seems to come to an sudden halt as she looks up at him.

"I'm not sure if my boyfriend would be comfortable with this." The goat remarks just as Krayger enters the room.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr Stonecutter pays little heed to the snow he walks upon to reach the Org. He makes the trip in the early pre-dawn darkness, guided by experience, stars, and a small pinhole lantern on his hip. The snow was several inches deep, but he walks on top with nary a trace as a fey being would, but for all the caution of his footsteps, the dwarf sings.

He bellows a jaunty tune in ancient dwarfish, a song about the beautiful golden hair of a maiden and a king who sought to steal her away for his treasure. The descriptions of her turn more and more lurid as the song goes on, and Ivarr happily sings her praises until he gets to the main door and gives it a heavy knock.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Entryway]

Her what now?

Arne hastily withdraws his hand from the goat's shoulder and returns it to his side, sitting up a little straighter and clearing his throat with a wet, phlegmy sort of sound. "Apologies." He rumbles, just as he realizes Krayger's entered into the room.

The knight jumps up to his feet, standing ramrod-straight with his hands at his sides, still clutching the final apple chunk in his fist. "Sir." Arne greets stiffly, staring straight ahead. "I was told you were employing soldiers for hire, sir. I have come with the intent of seeking your patronage, sir."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Entryway]

The goat just barely catches his apology as she abruptly turns around when Krayger speaks up. "Uhh..." The doe just spends a few moments staring at the minotaur and her immediate surroundings for a few moments.

"Sorry, I- don't know what happened." The goat declares as she bows her head in respect. Normally she'd add an explanation here but the man was already addressing Krayger.

Oh, the man.

"No, I should be the one apologizing, sir." She declares.
As the knight let his attention be drawn to Krayger he might be surprised to find that in the goats place there's a horned woman in a black coat and some really furry legs. "But I've taken up enough of your time. I shall be showing myself out." She makes a bow before the knight and will do just that unless the two has anything more to say to her.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Entryway

Krayger lets Jaahlyn leave on her own terms instead of saying anything. He's not sure what's going on with that so better to just let it go.
The minotaur reaches into the desk and pulls out a form to hand the knight.
"Going to have to get your name, skillset, that sort of thing." His eyes flick up to the armored man's visor.
"And if you want to speak to the boss or the lieutenants for an interview I would really recommend you shower first."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Entryway]

Arne inhales sharply, and for a moment, it sounds as though he's going to reply... but instead he simply stands there, still a stiff, immobile suit of armor, continuing to stare almost straight ahead.

Until Jaahlyn makes herself known and starts to walk away. At which point Arne's gaze follows her, visibly tilting his helmet the steeper an angle she stand relative to him.

It takes a moment before he replies again, snapping his attention back to Krayger. Or rather, the wall behind Krayger.

"Sir Arne of Blekdal, sir! I served three years under Lord Alun's division of Her Majesty's Royal Army, sir! Lunamancer third class, battleschool graduate, with hon-"

Arne falls silent for a conspicuously long time.

"...with honors. Sir." He continues, his voice dropping in volume and momentarily wavering. "...Will that be sufficient, sir?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,