MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Post Reply
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"I... I do not know." Septimus replies, gaze dropping to the floor. "Last time I fell asleep, he was in the room upstairs. When I woke up again, I was in the street. I do not know where I am. I do not know these people. I do not know..." The elf sniffles slightly as a light crackling sound starts to fill the air, little sparks dropping from the corners of his eyes. "...I am sorry. That does not matter right now. My answer is just that I do not know."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

Olvisin and Fayyaad look at each other with some uncertainty. This... sounds way too much like a lost kid who can't find his father. But what do they do? MERC isn't a charity and Septimus is dangerous to those around him.

"This is awkward."

"Indeed. I don't think he'll know what to do if we turn him out, but keeping him seems risky."

[Dipsnig's Office]

Kirk and Cantata will receive a call to report to Dipsnig's office. It seems important.
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical WIng]

"...onger than I expected, but I'm still on it. At this point, I'm thinking I'll just throw subtlety out the window and just drive through her wall with Omega Briar. I'll see you when I've got the job done, okay? Love you!"

The door opens to admit a familiar-looking part-time minion, holding a phone that she's trying to fit into a too-small pocket in her coat. "Hey, Olvisin. How's it going?" Rose offers the goblin a smile and turns her attention to Fayyaad. "Just wanted to swing by to let you know I'm probably not going to be able to make it to dinner this week. Work's going to be keeping me very busy and..." She stops and looks over at a bewildered Septimus. "...Sorry, this is a bad time, isn't it? Looks like you've got a problem of your own to handle." She smirks and hugs the tiefling's arm. "Bit of a cutie, though. Anything I should be worried about?" She teases.

"...You are strange." Septimus finally comments, staring at the newcomer blankly.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Murkus
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 304
Joined: Aug 04, 2022 12:37 am

Re: MERC

Post by Murkus »

[Briefing Room]

Fettina looks around at her two companions. "Shall we, then?" She asks.
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 781
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: MERC

Post by Gullara »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Kirk gives the door a short knock the door and then opens it since he knows Dipsnig is expecting him. He steps inside and greets Dipsnig immediately with an arched eyebrow. "You need something?"
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: MERC

Post by Arkhosia »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Cantata arrives rather swiftly, dressed in practical black pants and a low-cut blue blouse. She steps in and offers Dipsnig a polite if slightly inquisitive look, before glancing to the side and spotting Kirk. Him again. Her brow furrows in annoyance before she moves to take a seat.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

Fayyaad's tail brushes against Rose's leg as she gets close to him. Olvisin looks between them and it takes her approximately half a second to realize that the two are banging. Well, she'd be surprised if Rose hadn't gone for a hot guy, really. She can neither be surprised nor question her good taste.

"He is quite easy on the eyes, isn't he? But unfortunately, it'd be... problematic."

"He's radioactive," Olvisin states bluntly.
"But maybe you should explain from the beginning."

"Very well. This is Septimus, he came to us seeking to Join. Dena asked me to test his combat abilities. Long story short, it turned out he was constructed by someone, who is now missing, and is 'incomplete'. And he emits harmful radiation. He's not safe to keep around, but if we turn him away, he'll be lost."

"I'm getting some real deja vu here," Olvisin adds grouchily.

[Dipsnig's Office]

There are two chairs in front of Dipsnig's desk for the two. The boss goblin is seated behind him, the office not containing any of his wolves this time. He regards Kirk and Cantata coolly.

"I have received reports of the two of you having arguments in public. Heated ones. Could either or both of you tell me why?"
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"Radioactive? Is that all?" Rose shrugs and steps between Olvisin and Fayyaad, offering them each a radaway pill she has left over from her last trip to Raven's office. "In all seriousness, yeah, I'm with you on that one, Olvisin. Kind of hard not to look at this guy and see a teenage vampire standing there."

"...I am not a vampire." Septimus chips in helpfully.

"Figure of speech, sweetheart." Rose gives Septimus a little smile and turns back to the others, letting out a little sigh. "Okay. The way I see it, we've got two potential resolutions here. One, we keep him around and restrict him to jobs where radioactivity isn't going to be a problem. Given how Redmont turned out, that might be a hard sell to the boss. Or, option two, we send him ahead to GLoG or maybe VIGIL or HALO, and give them advance warning that he's a radiation hazard. We don't have to keep him here to keep him from getting lost. And since all we're doing is putting in a recommendation, we might not even have to go to Dipsnig for that one."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

Fayyaad nods slowly.

"I have been to GLoG recently to visit a friend. They seem to do good work there, but I doubt they're equipped to deal with radiation. HALO may be a better option."

"I agree. They're a research group. They're bound to have some way to deal with radiation. They can keep him safe, examine him and maybe even find his father."

"I would need to speak with Dena, as she's the one who asked me to evaluate him. But if I tell her that we deemed him too dangerous to accept into MERC and sent him off to HALO, I don't think she will question our judgement."
User avatar
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 238
Joined: Jul 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Location: Somewhere in Fort Knox
Pronouns: He/him
Contact:

Re: MERC

Post by Gold »

[Briefing Room]

"Ready when you are," Solenoid nods.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"Ay, you, it's Gold and I'm noble!" -Gold, Red vs. Gold - Pokémon Rap Battle
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"What a coincidence." Rose grins. "So have I. Congratulations, by the way." She gives Fayyaad a little bap on the shoulder and smiles up at Septimus. "Of course, we're not going to do anything without your consent. What do you think, big guy? Want to go to a flying base?"

"...I do want to see a flying base." Septimus replies with a little smile. "That sounds like fun."

"It does, though, doesn't it?" Rose smiles and pulls her coat around her, giving Olvisin a little nod. "I'll go ahead and bring up the possibility to Vlad. You've met Vlad, right? You should if you haven't. Great guy. Lots of common ground between you two." She smiles. "Anyway, he'll be able to help with the whole 'radioactive guest' thing if HALO isn't already equipped for it. Would be good to get him a bit of advance notice."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

Fayyaad sputters, his usual cool confidence disrupted.

"That's not- I'm not the father. Braon and I are just friends."

Olvisin grins.

"I saw him when all of you wound up in Trog's, but we didn't really talk. If you say he can help, though, that's good enough for me. And to be precise, HALO doesn't have a flying base, that's Vigil. HALO's base is underwater."
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"I believe you. Or that you believe it, at any rate. If you were really the father, I'm sure you would've told us by now." Rose grins. "It's not like you to be secretive about who you're seeing. I think."

"...He is a creator?" Septimus asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Nah. Not for want of opportunity, though." Rose smiles. "Anyway, I know HALO has some part of its base in the sky. Vlad wouldn't shut up about it when he first joined. But, yeah, bonus, underwater parts, too. That sound like fun, Septimus?"

"...I do not like water." The elf replies, crossing his arms.

"That's too bad. Why not?"

"It is loud and bright and scary. I do not want to be near it."

"...Well. That could be a problem."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

"Hmm. That it could." Fayyaad seizes on a topic that lets him avoid having to further deny being the father of Braon's child. Or the father of anyone's child for that matter.

"If they do have a base in the sky, maybe Vlad can see him there. And then see if maybe he can be made comfortable underwater. But even just in the sky base, they're better equipped to help him than we are."
User avatar
Zefir
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 6:59 am

Re: MERC

Post by Zefir »

[Contract Board]

Job Description: A salker like creature assembbling a panther in some sort has been spottet near Skyside Groundtown. Those creatures are known to feed on humanoids, but haven't been hunting yet. Hunt them befor they do it.
Contract Type: MERC Member Contract and MERC Licensed Contract.
Hired by: Mysteriouse Man (Zefir).
Target: Stalker creature (Zefir).
Payment: Money or Services (Like crafters service)
Notes: There are many sightings who say it's only one. Bring back a sample to analyze.

Job Description: A beast that seems to controll water and fire has been spoted near Riverside. It seems to shape the landscape around his nest by burning its surrounding and cooling it up not to create a forest fire.
Contract Type: MERC Member Contract and MERC Licensed Contract.
Hired by: Mysteriouse Man (Zefir).
Target: Fire/Water creature (Zefir).
Payment: Money or Services (Like crafters service)
Notes: Bring back a sample to analyze. Or better catch it alive.

Job Description: Zombilike people with features like jelly have taken over some streets in inside. They seem harmless if you can walk normaly, but occasionaly they ambushe ppeople and killed them. They also seem to spread rapidly. The sooner they got reduced in number the better.
Contract Type: MERC Member Contract and MERC Licensed Contract.
Hired by: Mysteriouse Man (Zefir).
Target:Sime/Human creatures (Zefir).
Payment: Money or Services (Like crafters service)
Notes: Kill all of them
WarKitty
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 24, 2022 12:42 am

Re: MERC

Post by WarKitty »

The Lab

There might be a way to find them, or to recreate them. Jerick, do you have anything from your home that you can spare? Xun starts gathering equipment, vanishing most of them into her interdimensional pocket but tossing a few larger pieces at Olvsin. Nexus is a strange place, full of a wild and shapable energy. It allows many disparate powers and abilities to exist here, and makes it so people can call places up from the ether. With the right tuning we could likely recreate some of your plants.
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 53
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 5:39 pm

Re: MERC

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Jerick's face brightens up, perhaps even brighter than it was when he was testing his Chaos-Amplification-Substance. "So, you can tune the planar energies here to produce and replicate different energies from other universes. Incredible!" He pulls out his notebook yet again, cataloging this new-found information for later reference and perhaps research. He then packs up all of his things (which isn't much) and turns back to Xun. "So, when do we start?"
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[The Lab]

Olvisin catches the pieces of equipment, a feat aided by her cybernetic arms.

"You can? I guess it's theoretically possible... but I've never let 'theoretically' stop me before."
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 781
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: MERC

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: Sep 15, 2022 2:55 am [Dipsnig's Office]

Cantata arrives rather swiftly, dressed in practical black pants and a low-cut blue blouse. She steps in and offers Dipsnig a polite if slightly inquisitive look, before glancing to the side and spotting Kirk. Him again. Her brow furrows in annoyance before she moves to take a seat.
Morty wrote: Sep 15, 2022 6:15 pm [Dipsnig's Office]

There are two chairs in front of Dipsnig's desk for the two. The boss goblin is seated behind him, the office not containing any of his wolves this time. He regards Kirk and Cantata coolly.

"I have received reports of the two of you having arguments in public. Heated ones. Could either or both of you tell me why?"
[Dipsnig's Office]

Kirk frowns and takes a seat. "Who's been reporting that?" That's not answering the question, Kirk. It's also some sort of HR violation.
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: MERC

Post by Arkhosia »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Cantata slips into the chair, unable to help but slightly indulge by sinking into the plush cushioning. Her neutral look flickers with faint worry, then sours, and she crosses her arms. "...Personal," she signs with one hand, more uncomfortable than anything else.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Sep 17, 2022 3:09 pm [Medical Wing]

"Hmm. That it could." Fayyaad seizes on a topic that lets him avoid having to further deny being the father of Braon's child. Or the father of anyone's child for that matter.

"If they do have a base in the sky, maybe Vlad can see him there. And then see if maybe he can be made comfortable underwater. But even just in the sky base, they're better equipped to help him than we are."
[Medical Wing]

"Well, that settles that, then." Rose smiles up at the elf. "Looks like you've got a plane ride in your future, big guy. Best of luck." She gives him a little pat on the shoulder for reassurance.

And immediately regrets it.

"MOTHERF-" Rose buries her hand under her arm, face contorted in pain. "What the hell?! Why are you that hot?!"

"...I do not understand the question." Septimus blinks, looking back down at her.

Rose winces and steps away, visibily struggling to avoid bursting out into a stream of swears, before calmly lowering her hand and letting out a little sigh. "...Right. Gonna learn from that one. Never touch the alien dude unless you know it's safe. Got it."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig gives Kirk a particularly unimpressed look. He should know better than to ask about this. What makes him so on edge? What did Dipsnig just step into? Ancestors give him strength. Looking between Kirk and Cantata, his eyes flicking down to the woman's signing, he says:

"Enough people have reported it that I need to step in. And yes, Cantata, I have assumed that it's a personal issue. Something I wouldn't normally get involved with, but I must do it when it starts bleeding over into the workplace. So what is the matter between you?"

[Medical Wing]

Fayyaad and Olvisin both wince. Right, maybe they ought to have warned Rose.

"Let me take a look at this hand, first, see how badly it's burnt. Then I can take him to HALO. I'm probably better-equipped to explain what's up with him."
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"Oh, I'm fine." Rose waves her burnt hand dismissively. "Just surprising is all. I've been burnt worse before."

All over, by hot asphalt, for instance.

"I'll let you handle it from here. And you." She gives Fayyaad a little poke with her uninjured hand. "I'll let you know when things calm down again. I'm still expecting wine." She grins and sashays her way out of the medical wing, her hips disappearing around the corner about half a second after she does.

"...She is strange." Septimus observes again.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Medical Wing]

"Oh, I wouldn't say so. She's very good company." Fayyaad's eyes follow Rose's hips pretty unabashedly.

"She is fun to have around. Not into women or goblins, but you can't have everything. Anyway, you go report to Ms. Xifhara about our decision about him. I'll get him safely to HALO."

"I'm on it. Good luck, Septimus," Fayyaad says before taking his leave as well.
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 781
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: MERC

Post by Gullara »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Kirk's expression is stonily neutral, and without much time to consider he says, "I'll better manage the situation and not rise to the hostility. Is that all?"
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: MERC

Post by Arkhosia »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Cqntata, meanwhile, sighs, concluding that they cannot in fact get out of this. "Look, Kirk's been on my case since Fettina and I got married. It's gotten... mutual since last month." The woman shifts in her seat awkwardly, biting her lip. "We'll try to be less disruptive."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"...He was also strange." Septimus notes as Fayyaad leaves. Apparently, everyone around here is strange to him.

While he won't have any objections to any of the preparations Olvisin might make to transport him to HALO, if they're left alone for more than a few minutes, he'll break the silence between them with a question.

"...Miss Olvisin? May I ask you something?"

...Nobody said it wasn't a slightly redundant question.

"I have noticed that the people around here are..." He fumbles for a moment, trying to find the words to describe the phenomenon he wants to ask about. "...different. Not only from me, from each other. Like that woman who was just here and that tiefling. They are... very different. The tiefling was more like me, but everyone else I have seen looks more like her." He makes a vague gesture around his chest, as though that's supposed to clarify what he's talking about. "...Do you know why?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: MERC

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Of course it's related to their... unusual matrimonial situation. Is this a time for a "monogamy has its perks" speech? Probably not.

"Normally, I'd be content to leave it at that, but normally I'd also trust you not to let things get this bad to begin with. Clearly, my expectations haven't been met. What exactly is the problem and what steps do you plan to resolve it?"

[Medical Wing]

Olvisin blinks in that long, cat-like way goblins have.

"What exactly are you referring to? The shape of our chests?"
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: MERC

Post by Ironsmith »

[Medical Wing]

"...Yes?" Septimus replies after a moment. "It is not just that. You have different words for the tiefling than you do for each other. And you use those same words for me. In fact, the tiefling looks more like me than either of us do like the rest of you." He runs his hands over each other as he tries to explain what he's asking about. "We are also both a bit taller than everyone else here. And... more firm, I think. Except maybe you." He glances over at Olvisin's robotic arms, quietly highlighting why he believed her to be the exception. "...I have not seen bodies like this before today. What is it, exactly? What is the purpose of..." He makes a vague gesture at her chest.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: MERC

Post by Arkhosia »

[Dipsnig's Office]

"It's difficult to explain," Cantata admits, glancing to the side. "Petty slights, gripes over petty slights... just... finding excuses to go at each other." There the woman gets rather awkward, a slight hue creeping into her cheeks.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Post Reply