MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Re: MERC

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"Oh I see." Reina had only gotten one right! How embarrassing. The catgirl was probably too busy thinking about Dena's ass, watching her get the clothes in the first place. It was very distracting!

Reina rolls her eyes a little. "Humanoids are so ridiculous when it comes to clothes and decency in the first place. Well it's probably your fault for being in heat for literally half the time so I guess you have some sort of excuse." Clothes are a necessary deterrent to a continual stream of babies. Granted, they really only taper the stream to half-strength.

A blush overtakes Reina's cheeks now. The catgirl busies herself making sure the clothes are folded, each one disappearing into thin air as she does so. "Yeah, it was Toby... he's just... so damn infuriatingly attractive when he wants to be. I went over to talk about our relationship and forgot to keep my legs shut." Whoops. "But I did manage to put at least one foot down, even if he holding the other around his waist. He has until these kids are born to commit. Really commit. I can't keep waiting and pining for more."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"We don't have any fur and our private parts are pretty sensitive. Gotta protect those somehow y'know?" Dena points out but apparently feel like giving this a more lengthy explanation. "But more importantly, most of us don't have changing bodies so we gotta change things up in other ways or we'd look the same all the time." She gestures to herself with both hands. "Getting nude wouldn't be nearly as exciting if we streaked through life."

She used this explanation to give the Toby commitment problem some more thought. "So he keeps giving you babies but no oaths? Tsk, what a Kirk-move." She shakes her head and moves to take a seat in a nearby armchair, gesturing for Reina to take her own. She had a whole little living room set up in here.

"Honestly though, I thought you two were already committed. Since it must have been more than just hotness and children that kept you close for this long."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]
Keeper wrote: May 07, 2023 10:17 pm "Oh."
"Uh.
Thank you."

Krayger says, blinking.
"Any particular reason? I haven't really been able to put my new magic to use for the company."
Actually, he isn't even sure if he's mentioned it. So he isn't sure if he's done anything in particular recently. The big fey nonsense was a while ago...
"It's nothing recent or particular. More like a recognition of consistent performance." Dipsnig's left ear quirks a little. "You've proven adept at wrangling the... original kind of people we get here. Most recently Arne, if you remember him. The big teenage knight looking for a job."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dipsnig's Office

"Oh, that? A matter of public-facing job experience."
He wonders if Dipsnig and Dena have had to do that sort of thing as much as he has. Probably, but perhaps MERC just has a lot of soldier types who have never had to work a front desk.
"Still, I am honored. What ah, exactly is my promotion to?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[New Recruit]

It appears Dipsnig is in another meeting, and Dena is off at the Riverside office right now. That leaves Kirk. Thankfully they aren't zero for three, because the drow is spending today in his office. The door is even open.

The well dressed drow looks up from his laptop when Olvisin presumably first pokes her head in. His eyes move to Jerick for a moment, but he focuses on the goblin. "Olvisin, can I help you?" He closes his laptop and folds his hands over it.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig can find people with big weapons, powerful magic and hyper-lethal martial skills anywhere. Being able to manage all of them is a rarer skill.

"Your new title will be Chief of Personnel. That means you'll have authority to decide on new members and licensees. And resolve disputes."

[New Recruit]

Olvisin isn't sorry to run into Kirk. She considers him quite attractive. But she doesn't think goblins are his type.

"I brought a recruit, Mr. Locke. He wants to be a full member. I and Xun can vouch for him."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

Reina just raises an eyebrow. "Uh... huh..." What was wrong with looking the same all the time? She'd gladly trade this curse away for that one. But she also doesn't continue trying to explain the animal life to Dena. Humanoids would never understand the value of real consistency. It's behaviour, not clothes that should be erratic!

Reina takes a seat when directed, her tail curling around to rest in her lap. "Sure. History and personality too. But there comes a point when a girl wants more and asks for more again and again and a guy just keeps putting it off and putting it off that you have to stop. I'm worth more than a vague hope and endless procrastination."

A frown takes her face for a moment, but she turns it around. "What about you and Kirk? Are you satisfied with just co-workers? I heard there was a lot of tension when Tina got married. That must be way more complicated than what I have going on."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"Sometimes you have to put your foot down." Dena agrees.
She would continue down that line of discussion but that's when Reina had a question for her. One she could answer without any hesitation. "I would argue that we are more than just co-workers already and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I don't think either of us are the type to marry at all if I'm going to be honest. Kirk is, well, Kirk and I like my privacy." She makes a vague gesture at the room they're in. "Committing to sharing everything with the same person for the rest of your life is just not for me. Which is also why I don't want children." Dena shrugs.

"Tina on the other hand... I mean, the tension was between her and Kirk since he got-" She makes a circular gesture with her hand as she pauses for a moment."-a complicated relationship with Cantata. For my part I just thought the wedding could have been a bit smaller. But I was also pregnant at the time too which probably didn't help with my attitude." There was also the tension around the twins but that was unrelated to the wedding.

She gestures to Reina. "What about you? You got a big wedding planned if Toby finally gets his act together?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dipsnig's Office

"And Father said I'd never be chief." Krayger smiles to himself.
"Well, management isn't what I expected when I started here, but I'll take the position gladly. Thank you, sir."
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: May 09, 2023 8:10 pm [Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig can find people with big weapons, powerful magic and hyper-lethal martial skills anywhere. Being able to manage all of them is a rarer skill.

"Your new title will be Chief of Personnel. That means you'll have authority to decide on new members and licensees. And resolve disputes."

[New Recruit]

Olvisin isn't sorry to run into Kirk. She considers him quite attractive. But she doesn't think goblins are his type.

"I brought a recruit, Mr. Locke. He wants to be a full member. I and Xun can vouch for him."
[New Recruit]

Jerick stays quiet and lets Olvisin do the talking. After all, this is a wonderful opportunity and he doesn't want to spoil it by saying something too out of place.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[New Recruit]

Kirk's attention shifts back to Jerick for a moment, his eyes scrutinizing. "Then come in, take a seat." There's a couple chairs arrayed in front of his desk.

Once they've seated themselves, Kirk leans back and folds his hands together. "So you and Xun vouch for him, but can he vouch for himself?" The drow turns his eyes back fully onto Jerick, waiting expectantly.
~Images by Soushiyo
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Gullara wrote: May 11, 2023 2:19 am [New Recruit]

Kirk's attention shifts back to Jerick for a moment, his eyes scrutinizing. "Then come in, take a seat." There's a couple chairs arrayed in front of his desk.

Once they've seated themselves, Kirk leans back and folds his hands together. "So you and Xun vouch for him, but can he vouch for himself?" The drow turns his eyes back fully onto Jerick, waiting expectantly.
Jerick walks through the doorway and takes a seat in one of the chairs. "I do believe so, yes. With five centuries of experience, I think I will be of some use to MERC." Jerick adjusts his bandolier. "Of course, there is still a lot to learn, but that will come with time. In the meantime, I'm good at making stuff. Carpentry, smithing, alchemy, artifice, and elemental-binding among other things."
Last edited by ForTheGnomes on May 14, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]

"You're telling me. When I came here years ago I had no idea I'd be running this place eventually." Dipsnig chuckles. "But here we are. I'm sure you'll do fine."

[New Recruit]

Olvisin keeps quiet, which isn't an easy feat for her. This is Jerick's time to make an account of himself.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

"I cannot imagine Tina accepting a small wedding. You have met her right?" Reina teases. "She loves the larger than life approach. At least she did when she went on that treasure hunt with Rein." They may have freed a succubus by killing a succubus and letting it hitch a ride in Tina's brain.

"You know what we should do?" Reina suggests conspiratorially. "We should go on an adventure of our own today. There's plenty of dungeons unexplored still. I need to get out there while I still can and you need to get back out there now that you can! It'll be invigorating." Nothing gets the heart pumping like a good dungeon dive.

Reina brushes some hair over her ear. "I don't really think that far ahead. I really don't want to get my hopes up and all," Reina says in response to Dena's question. Somehow trying to falsely imply that she hasn't thought about it a thousand different times in a hundred different ways.
► SHOW SPOILER
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dipsnig's Office

"Well, thank you."
He seems to realize something, and asks another question.
"...does it come with an office?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig smiles, his ears perking up, and nods.

"It does. The staff should have one cleared out and ready for your use before the end of the day."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[New Recruit]

Kirk doesn't betray any sort of exceptional reaction as he listens to this explanation. He just nods a couple times as he listens. "A useful enough set of skills. A variety of talents is a good asset in our organization. You never know what our clients will request of us." He explains. "But that seems reasonable enough. I'm glad to take the word of our existing employees. We start everyone out on a probationary period, mind. Nothing to worry about. We just need to make sure you're a good fit." He waves his hand in a vague gesture.
~Images by Soushiyo
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Gullara wrote: May 15, 2023 4:34 am [New Recruit]

Kirk doesn't betray any sort of exceptional reaction as he listens to this explanation. He just nods a couple times as he listens. "A useful enough set of skills. A variety of talents is a good asset in our organization. You never know what our clients will request of us." He explains. "But that seems reasonable enough. I'm glad to take the word of our existing employees. We start everyone out on a probationary period, mind. Nothing to worry about. We just need to make sure you're a good fit." He waves his hand in a vague gesture.
[New Recruit]

"Thank you, Mr. Locke, was it?" Jerick bows his head slightly. "So, how does the probationary period work? What benefits of MERC do I or do I not get in the period? And finally, when does the period start?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[New Recruit]

"It's nothing that major. We just need to make sure you're an asset and trustworthy before committing to a full position. All you need to do is prove yourself useful. There's only one real restriction, and that's that you'd be excluded from highly sensitive jobs. There's plenty of work besides those, however." Kirk explains rather nonchalantly. It's a little wrote at this point.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dipsnig's Office

"I suppose I'll have to make sure I look the part for the new recruits."
Krayger honestly isn't sure if MERC is the kind of company where being an executive means he has to start dressing more formally or he can now do whatever he wants.
"Well, I guess just give me a list of what you'd like for me to start doing. I'm not used to doing a full-time office job."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Dipsnig's Office]

"Right, of course." Dipsnig takes a file from his desk. "I have a list here..."

Going over it will probably take some time.

[New Recruit]

"Yeah, it'll be done in no time," Olvisin assures him. "Maybe you can snag a job along with me and my siblings. And others in our crew, if it's a big one."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Reinholdt wrote: May 12, 2023 6:33 am [Dena's Office]

"I cannot imagine Tina accepting a small wedding. You have met her right?" Reina teases. "She loves the larger than life approach. At least she did when she went on that treasure hunt with Rein." They may have freed a succubus by killing a succubus and letting it hitch a ride in Tina's brain.

"You know what we should do?" Reina suggests conspiratorially. "We should go on an adventure of our own today. There's plenty of dungeons unexplored still. I need to get out there while I still can and you need to get back out there now that you can! It'll be invigorating." Nothing gets the heart pumping like a good dungeon dive.

Reina brushes some hair over her ear. "I don't really think that far ahead. I really don't want to get my hopes up and all," Reina says in response to Dena's question. Somehow trying to falsely imply that she hasn't thought about it a thousand different times in a hundred different ways.
[Dena's Office]

"Suppose you're right. There was no way that wedding could have been anything but that." Dena muses with a smile and strokes her chin as Reina comes with her daring suggestion. "A dungeon, eh? Now that's something I haven't heard for a while." She pauses for a moment.

"Sounds like plans we wouldn't be able to put on ice though. Unless we wait longer than nine months."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

[New Recruit]

"That's good to know. Thank you again, Mr. Locke." Jerick turned to Olvisin. "That would be a good place to start, yeah. Thanks. Jerick turned back to Kirk. "Is that all?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[New Recruit]

"That's the long and short of it. There's some paperwork to do. You can see the secretary about that at your leisure. Just make sure it's done before taking any work." Kirk replies. "Welcome to Merc."

((Paperwork can certainly be suggested to be done off screen.))
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Dena's Office]

Reina immediately shakes her head. "If we wait longer than nine months, I most certainly will be even less available. Even if I get a babysitter or something, I'll probably spend the whole day sleeping." Dungeon diving would just be too exciting then!

"For a few months at least." More like a year or two. "Especially if I try to juggle MERC jobs in there. Which I will, cause I'm dedicated like that."

So this was definitely more of a now or never proposition.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dena's Office]

"I hear you. It's a date then. I'll try to look around for a dungeon we can explore together on short notice. Shouldn't be too hard to find." A beat. "You know there was this one time I was in a dungeon and encountered Wenomir of all people. Remember him? The grumpy guy in charge of VIGIL?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[After the Explosion]

A day or two after he rescued her from the rubble of the milk factory, Fayyaad goes to look for Rose. He's having concerns about her plans.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[After The Explosion]

"...count is normal, so it looks like the nanites aren't having any adverse reactions with your bloodstream. We can up the dosage and have your fingers back by the end of the month."

Rose nods, looking down at her injured hand, idly flipping her hand back and forth to get a better look at the pink plastic caps where her pinky and ring finger would be. She looks like she just got back from a workout; she's still wearing sweat pants and a sports bra, and is still visibly sweaty around her arms, neck, and face. "Are there any side effects I should know about? Especially if I need to-"

"You don't need to finish that sentence." Eun grimaces on the other end of the video phone. "You'll get cravings, and you're going to have difficulty eliminating. But as long as you're taking care of yourself, that should be it."

"Assume for a moment that I'm not."

"Then mood swings, bouts of nervous energy and fatigue. All three will get worse in the immediate aftermath of coitus, so I would suggest you avoid-"

"Yeah. Okay. Anything we can do about that?"

"Eat your vegetables and avoid excessive sugar."

"So no." Rose smirks. "All right. Is that it for now?"

"I suppose so. Keep me updated. And good luck."

Click!

Rose sighs and leans back against the barracks bed, running her good hand through her hair. Okay. That's not ideal, but as far as fallout from near-fatal explosions go, it's not the worst possible consequence.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[After The Explosion]

Fayyaad will peek in or knock, depending on whether the door is closed.

"Rose? I see you're recovering well," he says by way of opening the conversation.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[After The Explosion]

"Hey, Fay." Rose greets the tiefling in a surprisingly chipper tone, fidgeting with her new eyepatch a bit in some last-second adjustments. "Yeah. Doctor Bu's doing wonders for me. If not for some recent sensitivity to the term, I'd call her a miracle worker." She smiles and gently guides Fayyaad's hand to her cheek. "Feel that? Flawless. You can't even tell I was a burn victim. If anything, I just got back from the spa."

She lets him go and hops down onto the bed. "So. What brings you to my place today?" She asks cheerfully. "And before you answer, I should let you know the usual routine's off the table for now. Doctor's orders."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.