MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: MERC

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 05, 2023 11:48 pm [Just Plain Uncomfortable Encounters of the Goblin Kind]

Arne remains... somewhat stoic as the wolf passes out of the office. When she gets as close to him she's going to, Dipsnig might notice a nervous twitch in the knight's hand, which disappears as soon as Teerka is out of the room.

Meanwhile, it's a good thing for Arne that he doesn't strictly need to breathe, because for the past forty seconds he hasn't been. The compulsion returns shortly after Teerka leaves, and Dipsnig and Jaahlyn will be able to see the gentle rising-falling rhythm of his chest resume under his chestplate.

"My apologies, sir." Arne begins with a little bow. "I have been traveling for some time and my armor may have picked up something your wolf did not much appreciate. I have not had access to the appropriate scouring tools."

He decides it"s best not to mention that those scents might include blood from wolves, humans, some slavers in Skyside, or most recently, goblin blood.
[Just Plain Uncomfortable Encounters of the Goblin Kind]

Jaahlyn almost brings up that he and Siana knew one another.
But one, that probably wouldn't look great for Arne and two, it wasn't really true as it had been more than ten years since they saw one another. Arne even believing Siana to be dead.
So she stays silent and let's the two talk for now.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 07, 2023 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

Dipsnig gives a small sigh. Right, let's be professional about this.

"Let's put that aside for now. If Jaahlyn brought you here, I assume you're interested in joining us, Mr..."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Blekdal. Arne Blekdal. Sir." Arne says with a nod. "And you assume correctly, sir. I have been trained for martial conflict, and I believe I could be of service to the community, by means of your organization... if you will permit it, sir."

This will go most smoothly if he keeps things simple, Arne thinks. The arrangement isn't really that complicated in the first place, apart from that one incident with Olvisin... which doesn't immediately disqualify him, ideally. Not unless these goblins take martial conflict more personally than Maesdans do.

...This is going to be a gamble.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arne Blekdal? Sounded like he was from up north as Jaahlyn had a vague memory of them having names like that. Of course, she couldn't recall anything about them turning into the things they ate so it was probably just a coincidence. There was more than just the leech aspects to him though, she could feel it.
Dipsnig might notice that Jaahlyn has risen her tail to about eye level and is staring at her bauble. The reason he would even take note of this is that the orb has turned completely black and it's usually glowing with white light. This is a bit peculiar.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Ah, yes. You spoke with Krayger at the front door." Dipsnig eyes Krayger's report. The words "child soldier" and "psychiatric evaluation" particularly stand out to him. He then glances up at Jaahlyn. Why is she staring at the orb? "According to his report, you're quite young for someone who saw combat."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Sir?"

The confusion in Arne's voice is palpable, to the point that if the atmosphere were more cartoony, Dipsnig could expect to see a large question mark manifest over the massive knight's head. As it is, what he gets is a quizzical tilt and a wet, clicking sound under Arne's helmet as he composes a reply.

"I recognize that I do not have much practical experience, sir." Arne begins. "But what I have learned, I have learned from the best. It is my belief that you would be remiss to dismiss my appeal based solely on that criterion. Sir."

This is potentially concerning. That's twice now that they've homed in on his age, and not in the "accomplished prodigy" sense. Were they hiring only experienced soldiers? That would make sense, but would be quite an unfortunate circumstance for him...

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn ponders her orb as the two are talking.
Yes, he was undead alright. Or at least something similar to it. So he was the same as Siana, probably.
But that wasn't really her concern, right?
Right.
Something that was for whatever being that was responsible for death in their world, not hers.

Just... focusing on helping him.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 06, 2023 7:01 am A Swarthy Applicant

"I'm still going to sign up a room for you, just in case scenarios come up when you can't afford the travel time." Dena declares as she had no idea who would want such a long way to work. Unless they could teleport or something of course. She knew some people liked the walk but it just wasn't efficient with their business plan.

"Plenty of paperwork, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you. Since we're trying to reduce the spending on paper in this office." And so Dena hands him a electronic reading device and an electronic pen.
"Can still give you a paper to put that seal on if you want."
A Swarthy Applicant

"Thank you. " Ivarr says to the offer of the room. When he's passed the electronic device though, he just stares at it for a moment before letting it a little defeated sigh. "I understand, but it just ain't the same. Could I at least get a copy emailed to me for my own records?" He asks, reading carefully through the agreement as he puts his seal and wax away with one hand.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Swarthy Applicant

"Sure, provided you got an email of course." Dena remarks with a smile. "And I get what you mean. Everything feels so temporal, doesn't it? Back where I'm from we carved words into metal and stone since we knew it would stand the test of time. But that's just the nature of business these days, yeah?"
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr gives a nod as he continues picking through the application. "I don't object to it myself, but I understand why other Longbeards and those who live a long time don't like it. It is a difficult thing to watch the world around you change, even for the better. It can be scary to see so much you work for replaced with a machine or magic. Stone and metal are the records and currency of my home as well, particularly for records meant to last for centuries. Millenia with proper care." He gives another sigh as he finishes reading through it, and as he doesn't seem to find any issues he starts filing it all out.

"Though I will say the changes are easier to deal with when you go through it with someone you cherish over the years."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dipsnig looks at Arne above his hands. Ancestors give him strength, another one.

"Your lack of experience isn't the problem here, exactly. Rather, we do not habitually employ adolescents. I understand that your culture has no such rules, but we do."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Swarthy Applicant

"I do cherish myself, does that count?" Dena inquires with a grin. "I find it easier to just try to stay updated though. The temporal nature of all this makes it easier and easier to keep up to date. My people even has a saying I can relate to that, there are only two kind of people that stop moving through life." She holds up a pair of fingers. "The dead and the ignorant.

A beat.
"Also, about five sayings like that by comparing life to a horse or the sea but I think you get the point."

Here Jaahlyn sees her chance to add something to the conversation. "Yes, where I'm from people also started working at a much younger age than here but in these parts of the world you're not really considered mature enough to partake in violence until you're at least-"

A beat.

"-my age." She was sure that was true in at least some sense.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

A Swarthy Applicant

The dwarf laughs as he turns the pad and stylus back over to Dena, done filling out his information. Perhaps differently than many, he added a note that he was willing to work for minimal pay or reward. He did say he was in it for the adventure after all, and that was its own reward. "Quite right, and it is always important to cherish yourself." His rabbit fur cloak is wrapped around his shoulders once more, and he takes a moment to make sure his beard wasn't in the way as he ties it. "Is there anything else I should fill out, or a test I need to take now?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Swarthy Applicant

"No more applications, no more tests." Dena replies with a dismissive gesture. "The tests are just for people that need to prove themselves and your documents show that you don't. In addition, your talents make you a bit more unique than the usual person that applies here. Since we get dozens of fighters every week the ones we do recruit have to stand out in some way or the other."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...I see." Arne says quietly. "...If I may, sir. It is... far too late, to save me from a life of violence. Whether it is right or not, I have partaken." He straightens and folds his arms behind his back. "...I could stop. Stop hurting people. Crawl into a corner somewhere and languish in the memory of it, until I wasted away. But that is not our way." He inclines his head, looking down at Dipsnig and Jaahlyn. "I can still be of service. And I would very much like to. If I cannot do that here, I will do it on my own." He pauses, before adding, a little belatedly, "Sir."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 09, 2023 8:29 pm A Swarthy Applicant

"No more applications, no more tests." Dena replies with a dismissive gesture. "The tests are just for people that need to prove themselves and your documents show that you don't. In addition, your talents make you a bit more unique than the usual person that applies here. Since we get dozens of fighters every week the ones we do recruit have to stand out in some way or the other."
A Swarthy Applicant

Ivarr raises his eyebrow a little. "That many fighters, truly?" He wonders, half bewildered by it, and he shakes his head. "I suppose they'll at least have people to spar with, but if you ever need someone to help take a greenbeard under a wing for education or help, I am willing. I've seen far too many adventurers head out and never come back. It would be a shame for any here to suffer the same fate. I may be no true warrior, but I like to think I know my salt's worth on how to survive."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Swarthy Applicant

"Yeah, there's nearly always someone in the training room if that's your interest. And by the way, there's no such thing as a 'true' warrior. As little as there's no such thing as a true Scotsman." Perhaps Ivarr knows that reference. "Or dwarf, since you might have run into that one at least."
Morty

Post by Morty »

By the One Below and all the eyes in the depths. First Siana, now him? What is it about MERC that attracts child soldiers with nowhere to go?

...actually, now that he thinks about it, there's a lot about MERC that makes it a logical place for them. That doesn't really help him right now. In other circumstances, he might try to find some way of navigating this, but they gave Siana a chance and where did that get them?

"Then I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. I'm not willing to budge on this as of now."
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 12, 2023 12:18 am A Swarthy Applicant

"Yeah, there's nearly always someone in the training room if that's your interest. And by the way, there's no such thing as a 'true' warrior. As little as there's no such thing as a true Scotsman." Perhaps Ivarr knows that reference. "Or dwarf, since you might have run into that one at least."
A Swarthy Applicant

"I would know many who would argue the point, but I understand such very well."
Ivarr laughs as he heads towards the door to go into the dawn light and back onto the snow. "Fair well, Ms. Dena. I hope to hear from you and anyone else here later." He says sincerely before heading out. Should anyone check later, his footsteps on the snow are very light and vanish within the trees, as if he entirely went into thin air.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Mar 12, 2023 12:35 am [Just Plain Uncomfortable Encounters of the Goblin Kind]

By the One Below and all the eyes in the depths. First Siana, now him? What is it about MERC that attracts child soldiers with nowhere to go?

...actually, now that he thinks about it, there's a lot about MERC that makes it a logical place for them. That doesn't really help him right now. In other circumstances, he might try to find some way of navigating this, but they gave Siana a chance and where did that get them?

"Then I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. I'm not willing to budge on this as of now."

Jaahlyn winces when she hears Arne's reply to Dipsnig. Making himself appear unfit for any other activity than violence would not make him seem more stable in the goblin's mind she guessed. It read quite plainly on his face.
But there was something here Dipsnig might not be considering. Only one way to find out...

"Sir, may I have a word with you in private regarding Arne before any final decisions are made? I'm not questioning your decision, it's simply information that you may not be aware of."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

At Dipsnig's declaration, Arne... simply nods. There was a fair chance that would be how this conversation would end anyway. And even with relatively little hindsight, Arne can see this interview hadn't gone well... he's never had to make an appeal over such a short period of time before. Clearly he gave the wrong impression, and that's assuming his thinking and that of the goblin were even comparable.

But it looks as though Jaahlyn is about to intercede on his behalf. Maybe that would turn things around?

"I will be right outside when you are finished, sir." Arne says simply, giving him and Jaahlyn a little bow each. "Miss." He adds, briefly addressing Jaahlyn before turning and leaving the room.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

There's a part of Dipsnig that wants to tell Jaahlyn that the matter is settled. It would certainly get Arne out of his ever-diminishing hair quicker. Thankfully, his professionalism quashes this impulse.

"Very well, let's hear it," he says once the knight is gone.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn eyes Arne as he leaves before turning to address the goblin.
"Sir, you've no doubt made the connection between him and Siana. Indeed, he's in fact looking for her as they're, ah, betrothed." A concept she found
confusing. "I have no doubt that he will find her eventually and when he does, well, I can't help but to wonder if Siana will share her reason for getting kicked out. He will no doubt be curious about that and he knows that she's been staying here. I did tell him after all." She admits in a sheepish tone. "I figured you should know since if he learns of what happened I'm not sure what he would do with the information."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dipsnig's face falls... slightly. He's keeping good control of his emotions but an unpleasant situation just turned outright bad.

"That explains why he's a strikingly similar honor-fixated child soldier with a death wish and no skills beyond combat," he remarks drily, masking his feelings with sarcasm as is his wont. "But this is bad. If he finds her, that's another person who knows what happened there. And I trust his discretion about as much as a ten Nexbuck gold watch."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn nods.

"That's- yes, I figured you should know, sir. But I also suspect his 'death-wish' might have to do with the fact he's very hard to kill. Neither he or Siana are strictly mortal. I can tell since... it's my job to know that sort of things." She wiggles her tail, the hourglass in the bauble swirls around within it. Now glowing faintly white once more.

The fact that she knew exactly when Dipsnig would die she won't share. People did not like that sort of information.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dipsnig shakes his head.

"Keeping him here is liable to become a comedy of errors as we try to prevent him from doing something equally stupid or finding out too much. We need to let him go and if he finds Siana... he's no more credible than she is. We'll just need to counter anything they come up with then."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[News???]

Valerie is hard at work rifling through some filing cabinets, putting some documents away, retrieving others. She's quite focused trying to keep track of everything. Wouldn't want to misplace anything for later.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[News???]

Focused as she is, Valerie might not even notice Leis approaching her. She stands there awkwardly for a couple of seconds before speaking up. "Um- H-hey, Valerie? Can I... can I talk to you for a minute?" She looks nervous.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[News???]

Val turns around with a big smile. "Hey bestie." Her expression falters a bit when she notices Leis's demeanor. "Oh, is something wrong? Of course you can talk to me."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Mar 27, 2023 8:47 pm [Just Plain Uncomfortable Encounters of the Goblin Kind]

Dipsnig shakes his head.

"Keeping him here is liable to become a comedy of errors as we try to prevent him from doing something equally stupid or finding out too much. We need to let him go and if he finds Siana... he's no more credible than she is. We'll just need to counter anything they come up with then."

"I could..." The satyr hesitates. "I mean, perhaps I could tell him what happened before he met up with Siana? That way it would make us appear more honest and I could just have him promise not to tell anyone else first. That way we could control it much better."