MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: MERC

Post by Gullara »

[News???]

"Aww, of course you can count on us." Valerie leans in to give her friend a big hug. "You let me know first thing if you're feeling down or having a hard time. I'll do what I can." She promises.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Finding Krayger

"Thanks. Yeah, I'll keep an eye out for anything."
Krayger gets up to go, leaving Dena and the unseen Reina alone again...
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

Reina crawls out from under the desk, her body flexibly stretching and pushing around Dena's legs. "Who the hell's sassy? I'm not sassy. Hmph!" Reina flicks her tail dramatically to emphasize just how not sassy she is.

The cat hops up onto Dena's desk in order to be the center of attention. "Well I think it's pretty clear he's not afraid of your snakes."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Reinholdt wrote: Jul 10, 2023 4:31 am [Judgemental Co-workers]

Reina crawls out from under the desk, her body flexibly stretching and pushing around Dena's legs. "Who the hell's sassy? I'm not sassy. Hmph!" Reina flicks her tail dramatically to emphasize just how not sassy she is.

The cat hops up onto Dena's desk in order to be the center of attention. "Well I think it's pretty clear he's not afraid of your snakes."
[Judgemental Co-workers]

Deba shrugs. “Yeah, but it wasn’t his thing either. Showed no signs of being into me at all. I got a lot of experience with this and the dude wasn’t even looking at my butt while I was moving ahead of him.” She makes a dismissive gesture. “He was completely disinterested in me on that level. I’m sure if it. We are different species after all. While we both have similar form he probably at least want someone his own size or with fur. I’m like one of those naked rats to him.”
Surely a car would know about every rat there is.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Entrance

Someone walks into the organisation, having arrived by Riftline from Riverside. They're a woman, human, in her early thirties, with pale skin and brown hair. She's wearing a pair of jeans and a very large cloth coat with a hood, that she'd kept up for the entire journey. She's also been wearing a face mask, but has since taken that off. She's not dressed up or disguised, exactly, but it's pretty clear anyway that she'd picked her garb to avoid recognition.

She's going to approach the counter and whoever is on reception and offer a job.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

"Don't underestimate the allure of the exotic~" Reina purrs. "Why do you think so many people want to get in bed with aliens?" Reina knows those creatures from the next planet over probably don't have tits, yet they keep getting drawn that way anyways!

"He could have just been staying professional. But I admit I didn't really hear any evidence for or against it either way. We'll probably just have to call this a draw..." Reina says, her head tilted up slightly.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

Dena let's out a small sigh. "Afraid you're right. Too difficult to test without shit like mind reading and I don't condone that crap." At least when it came to other MERC members and lives weren't on the line. "Still pretty sure I'm right but it's not like I can prove it so I guess we just need to go with something we both agree with." A beat. "You got any ideas right now? Since together we might be the most experienced dungeon divers in the nexus actually."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

Reina side eyes Dena for a moment and lowers the tilt of her chin. "Well, all things being entirely equal, the absence of evidence really does shift the win in your direction I suppose." Reina was just being bratty.

"Besides I didn't actually get a dungeon in mind before hand, unfortunately. I'll have to pull out some of my old maps and go looking. Did you have one you were thinking of?" Reina lets Dena get a few more pets in if she wants before hopping off the desk and returning to the humanoid form she had before. "You have a lot of experience then? I don't think I've heard your tales of adventure and woe. What was your favorite dungeon dive?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

Isn't Reina a bit too old to be bratty?

Either way, Dena is going to get a few more pets in before Reina goes all catgirl on her.
"Tough question." She remarks while leaning back in her chair as soundlessly tapping her finger against the desk. "I suppose there's the temple city and the fey forest based on earnings alone. I don't really do dungeons for the fun of it anymore so that would be what I'd base it on these days." She decides after a moment of thought.

"Anyhow, proper dungeons that haven't already been looted are pretty rare these days. But there is this tower called the vault of stars which I think is worth checking out. Mind you, it will be with an emphasis on the 'checking' part as little is known about it. For all I know, people are instantly disintegrate or turned into frogs once they enter it as none seems to have stepped inside and told the tale. But that might just be the usual dungeon rumors." Dena shrugs, assuming Reina was all too familiar with how the hype around these sort of dungeons went.

"Either way, the rumors also include massive amounts of magical items which is what I'm interested in."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

Never grow up and you never get old.

"Well both of those sound exciting at least." Earning treasure is fun in its right.

Reina listens intently to Dena's suggestion. "I'm always amazed at how no one who has gone in comes out, but everyone always seems to know what's inside. Someone's always fibbing when it comes to these dungeons." Either about the danger, the contents, or just about having gone in in the first place. Perhaps even the person who made the tower spread these rumors for their own nefarious purposes.

The catgirl brushes a hair behind her ear. "It's certainly worth investigating at least, to find out what's going on in there."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

"Oh they were for sure, the first one even involved me stabbing one of ol'Kirky's siblings or cousins. We're not sure which one as he's got a pretty big family." Dena smiles to herself. "Didn't even realize it until years after I came to merc when I told him the story."

She nods in agreement with Rein's comment regarding rumors. "Yep, that's usually how it is. Which was why I didn't really have any interest in checking it out until now. Since there definitely is a dungeon at that location, I've confirmed that much." Dena usually scouted out locations for dungeons just to confirm if the rumors were true or not. She had seen the 'vault of the stars' through her binoculars and that had been all the confirmation she needed. The place had looked dungeon-y enough to her eyes.

"But we can head out this weekend then. Say, meeting in my office Saturday at noon?" Dena proposes. "I dunno how dungeon diving gear works with your, eh, condition but just try to get the most practical attire you can manage and I'll take us there."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgemental Co-workers]

"Drow have strange family trees," Reina says, oblivious to the irony.

She stretches real quick as she talks. "Sounds like a plan then. I'll let you get back to work. See ya." The catgirl will gather up the clothes she came for and head for the exit.
► SHOW SPOILER
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Morty wrote: Jun 25, 2023 8:44 pm [Reporting]

Tina will be directed to Dipsnig's office. As is often the case, a wolf is here. This time, it seems, hardly older than a cub.

"Fettina. How did things go in Hell Bend?"
[Reporting]

Fettina forces herself not to be distracted by the puppy. It's a danger-puppy anyways. Cute as it is.

She centers herself up. Her wings fold like a sheaf of knives behind her back. "Uh. Coulda gone better. Listen, I... don't think we're going to be able to get them out of there. Not the three of us. Maybe not even the whole force of MERC and Riverside. There are these... gates. We need to be able to control them. And the really big demons, they can open more. So we need to corral, negotiate with, or drive them off. And..."

"Well. Boss. I hate to say it, and I know it's not the job, and I know, like, I'm pretty new at this... But these people seem to be just people trying to get out of some weird metaphysical shithole. Like, I don't know how their whole afterlife works yet or anything, but I don't think a lot of them deserve to be down there."

"I was able to talk to one of the people on top, one of these more powerful creatures, but they don't really run anything. There's no easy way to chase these people out or even get them organized except... by force. And that's... I mean... I understand we're for-hire, even thugs for hire, but I mean... violent relocation? I don't know if I can sign on with that."

"Uh. Sir," Fettina finishes, bouncing back and forth on her heels.
Last edited by Murkus on Jul 26, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reporting]

Dipsnig listens to Tina's report without much surprise. Actually kicking the demons out of there would take a military intervention. Malechenar shouldn't have given them the job and they shouldn't have accepted it. But how are they going to get out of it now?

"Yes, this is problematic. I don't- hang on." Dipsnig looks at his computer's monitor, which is flashing with notifications "...looks like somebody doesn't share our concerns. I'm getting reports about an attack on Hell Bend. They're killing the inhabitants."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Reporting]

"What? When? Why?" Fettina's hands pop out to her sides, and her wings unsheathe with a cutlery rasp.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reporting]

"It seems to have only just begun..." Dipsnig stares at the screen. "As for why, it's not hard to guess. With the tensions rising, someone decided to get the demons out the hard way. But from what you've told me, some conventional violence on the streets won't be enough. What a mess."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Reporting]

"Jesus, no, it's just- It's just going to make things worse," Fettina looks grim. "Those poor people."

"Listen, Mr. Razortooth, sir. Do you need anything else from me?" She forks her thumb over her shoulder. "Because I'd like to get back over there, unless it's going to be a problem."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Reporting]

"Making things worse is probably just what they want. If they're the usual type." It doesn't take a mind-reader to know that keeping Tina away from Hell Bend would do little good. "Your assignment is done and you're free to go. Including to Hell Bend. Just be careful once you're there."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Reporting]

"Alright. Thanks, uh, boss. And just gimme a ring if you need anything," she says. The angel will head back out and mostly fly the rest of the way to the door. She's got a longer one back. Best to waste no time.
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jun 28, 2023 9:51 pm [New Recruit]

The goblins participate in gathering materials with enthusiasm, then observe Jerick's technique. They cheer when the cannon is finished.

"Now we just need to present it to Frigate," Olvisin says. "He should be here in the HQ somewhere."
[New Recruit]

"Alright then. Just lemme get my stuff together." Jerick began to pick up all of his tools and gizmos that he used to create the multi-element cannon extension, which were now scattered all around it. When had almost finished, he asked, "So, where is Frigate right now?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

The goblins look at each other and after a brief deliberation it turns out none of them know that.

"We'll just go looking for him. It's not like he's hard to miss."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Sep 07, 2023 10:41 pm [New Recruit]

The goblins look at each other and after a brief deliberation it turns out none of them know that.

"We'll just go looking for him. It's not like he's hard to miss."
[New Recruit]

"Alright then." Jerick packs up the rest of his tools and straps on his pouches, belts, and bags. "Let's head off."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

The goblins set out to search for Frigate, the cannon in tow.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

New Recruit

Theoretically, since they picked it up from his room, the goblins know where Frigate stays when he's here. But he's not in his rooms at the moment, and has somewhat excessive amounts of locks on his door. He can be found at the gun range, however, showing off his Nock gun to a somewhat-impressed-looking Sian Farkas. Frigate is a large figure, tall and wide. He appears, on first glance, to be wearing a complete set of bronze full plate with a helmet that resembles a diving bell, but closer examination will reveal the full plate is bolted onto a stone frame and carefully articulated with delicate cogwork visible from certain angles inside the moving parts. A purple glow is visible through the visor; the goblins might remember the source is a shard of amethyst, serving as Frigate's 'eyes' and 'mouth'. Two wheellock pistols and a brass cutlass hang from his waist, alongside a powder horn.

Sian, meanwhile, is another familiar face for the goblins. She's a human woman in her early thirties, with pale skin dotted with freckles and red hair dyed purple. She's wearing a brown leather greatcoat over a pair of jeans and a yellow shirt. She's also holding the aforementioned Nock gun, a seven-barrelled hand-held flintlock volleygun. "It be temptin' fer ye t' hold it up t' yon shoulder, aye? That be a bad idea. She kicks like a mule. Fire from yer waist, so ye don't dislocate a shoulder."
"You just fired it from your shoulder." Sian does keep the weapon quite low, though, bracing herself as she prepares to fire it.
"Aye, but I be made o' bronze an' granite. Not flesh an' blood."

Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

As the goblins set out, they're joined by their sister Zaalmin. She's much thinner than Olvisin and sports a short pixie-cut, but shares her siblings' grey skin. They all roll into the gun range.

"Frigate! We've got a new gun for you."

"Since the other one was blown up by that maniac."

"And he helped." Zaalmin points at Jerick. "He's a new recruit."

"Yeah. I brought him to talk to one of the bosses earlier. Oh, and hi Sian."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

[New Recruit]

Jerick follows Olvisin and the other goblins into the firing range. At the first sight of Frigate, Jerick couldn't help but feel excited. He looks almost just like a warforged from back on Eberron, although of a much more dwarven make, and with some key differences. He had to remind himself that everyone here is probably from a separate world, except people who might have come together, like Olvisin.

"Hello! I'm Jerick Copperhand. Nice to meet you!" Jerick holds out his hand. Frigate would notice that Jerick's last name is meant quite literally, as his right hand is made almost entirely of copper, with black hard rubber-like material in-between the joints like cartilage. A gem is inlaid at the base of the hand, where it is joined with a heavily bandaged arm.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

New Recruit

There's a boom and Sian falls over after pulling the trigger. She was expecting it to have serious recoil; it still surprised her. "Wow, that's... I'm gonna bruise." Sian stands up and hands the weapon back to Frigate, who gets quickly to work reloading it. "Oh, hi guys. Frigate and I got talking about guns." She also takes out some ear plugs, which she wore to try and prevent hearing loss.

"Ahoy, mateys! It be good t' see ye again. An' a replacement cannon? Arrr, that be good, I do be a fan o' me cannonry." Frigate doesn't smile, as he doesn't really have a face, but he does bend slightly to look at the goblins and gnome better. Frigate will also shake Jerick's hand, his four-fingered gauntlet having rather stubby fingers which are very strong- though Frigate's got quite a limp handshake to avoid breaking fingers. "Jerick, aye? Ye be a warsmith. That's good, t'were tricky tryin' to replace me bonce when it got cut off. Ye familiar wi' th' workin's o' a warforged? I were built as a bodyguard for a warsmith who took up a job as ship carpenter, though I weren't able t' save 'im from drownin'." Frigatae is, in fact, a warforged, though not one that has been mass-produced, and one intended for a life at sea and so built from materials that don't corrode easily in contact with marine air or salt water- hence no wood or iron.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[New Recruit]

"That cannon saved my bacon when that guy came after me. And it sacrificed itself for said bacon. We had to honor it."

The goblins put the cannon down near Frigate and Zaalmin turns to Jerick to explain something.

"Sian went on a job with us recently. A monster hunt. It went pretty well, though Luuvat got a bit clobbered over the head."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

[New Recruit]

"Not so much of a warsmith as an all-around tinkerer. A dabbler in various subjects like alchemy, transmutation, energy manipulation, that sort of thing. I don't know much about a warforged's insides, but I do know enough to be able to repair one fairly well."

Up until this point, Jerick hadn't even noticed Sian. "And your Sian, right? Nice to meet you, too." Jerick turns back to Frigate. "I suppose I should explain what the extension on the end of your cannon is. That would be a multi-element cannon extension, the design of which is based on my multi-element crossbow." He gestures the crossbow on his back. It is mostly made out of what looks to be a steel-copper alloy.

"It utilizes bound elementals in synthetic elemental capsules of my own design to infuse cannonballs fired with elemental energies as they exit the cannon. You can infuse the cannonballs with fire, frost, lightning, acid, poison, positive or negative energy, or gravity, which acts as a force amplifier. To change the element used or disable the extension entirely, just press the corresponding button. As for the synthetic elemental capsules, they should last for about fifty years to a century. When it comes time for replacing, come find me and I'll take care of it."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

New Recruit

"I be glad she were helpful." Frigate responds in regards to the comment on the cannon saving Olvisin(?)'s bacon.

"That sounds like a warsmith t' me. They be wizards an' weapon smiths. I be unusual even amongst th' creations o' a warsmith. Me cutlass be more standard." Frigate draws the weapon, and will offer it to Jerrick to have a look at. It's brass, which is unusual, but enchanted so that it's as strong and hard as steel; probably harder than enchanting iron or steel to resist rust. It doesn't have any moving parts, being pretty much just a piece of brass sharpened and fitted to a basket hilt shaped for Frigate's dumpy fingers.

"That be soundin' real good. Can we give her a trial now?" Since they're already at a gunrange, and it's a reasonably small cannon. Either Frigate's swivel gun, which he can heft with both hands (and most can't life alone) or a demiculverin, which is a bit bigger, designed to hurl an eight-pound/three-and-a-half-kilo orb at someone else's ship to make a big hole.

"Yeah, it did go well. Speaking of firing, do you think you could hold this steady Olvisin? It... might be a bit long." She'll jab her thumb at the Nock gun as she speaks- the same weapon whose recoil knocked her over.