Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

"Just two that I know of," Hiep replies brightly. Seems she didn't take it for a rhetorical question. "I leave worrying about jurisdiction to people who aren't me. I got a job, I'll do the job. I don't know what being reincarnated wrong would mean, but I do want to test you. You need to be ready for anything and I can provide surprises and ambushes of all kinds."

Tags:
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

"Oh don't worry, Sai spent a few hours in a garbage bag for saying that to me. We've worked it out. Mostly."
She turns to Hiep. "If you just want to jump out and see if I can block a punch, well. That's annoying but I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't also sound kind of exciting. But be warned. If you jump out and I send you through a wall that's your responsibility. And also-" Mina reaches down and removes Sai from his sheathe. A silver gi shimmers into place around her, a blindfold appearing over her eyes.
"Do not wreck my kimono. That one is my favorite."
TeChameleon
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

"It's a good thing you warned her, Hiep." Eddie said. "If you had simply attacked, well..."

He picked up a piece of scrap rebar and calmly tied it in a knot without the slightest trace of effort. Then he smushed it into a near-perfect sphere with the same lack of effort and tossed it aside to land with a *crunch*.

Then he tucked his hands into the pocket of his hoodie and waited. "By the way, Mina, that's a good look on you." he added, nodding with approval. Fierce, functional and memorable- exactly what you wanted as your signature look as an adventurer.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

Hiep raises an eyebrow at Eddie's feat of strength. She seems more curious than intimidated or surprised.

"Getting punched through walls is a professional risk for me. So if you want to show me what you've got... well, bring it."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 05, 2024 3:33 pm [Grave Matters]

"No need for apologies I, uh, get that sometimes. Since honestly? There's not nearly enough people visiting it since it's, ah, remote. So if a scholar of your caliber would grace it with your presence I'd be thrilled." She smiles graciously but then mentally takes a step back.
"Though, yes. I do need to deal with this situation first."

Which reminded her.

"Speaking of, I actually had a final question for you regarding that before I go, how effective do you believe cold temperatures would be?" Since they had tried several types of heat already.
[Grave Matters]

Utayo pauses for a moment to consider that question. "It could be detrimental. Under ideal conditions, computational devices operate well in the cold. Machinery can suffer at extreme temperatures. Many batteries will perform poorly or even be damaged. Condensation from temperature differences can cause electrical faults. Overall I'd say it could have desired results." She adds a mental note to her list of potential longer term testing.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Grave Matters]

"Could be useful then. I'll have to see what I can do with that information." Ambrosia concludes after a moment of thought. "Should the battle happen, do you want me to return to you and give you whatever data I manage to collect?" She seems confident in winning at the very least.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

Mina smiles as she tucks Sai into her belt, raising her hands.
"When I'm in costume I go by Tempest." she tells the two quietly.

She starts this test with a simple move to test how this is going. A kick, straight forward and not at full power. More to use her significantly greater reach and test how Hiep is as a combatant.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Eddie watched with interest. Some part of him wanted to do combat commentary, a job he'd gotten a few times at demonstration matches when his guildmates realized that he could tear them in half with less effort than they expended blinking. He decided it probably wasn't an appropriate venue, unfortunately.

Instead, he simply analyzed. Probing attack, possibly a feint. he thought, watching the two combatants.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

Mina's kick hits Hiep square in the chest... but the woman barely flinches. It's not quite like hitting a wall or some other immobile obstacle... it's as if the force of the blow was absorbed by something. Hiep nods with some approval, her eyes glowing golden as she breathes out. A sense of acceptance passes through her face.

"Not bad. There's room for improvement, though."

With that, she leaps into the air, aiming a spinning kick at Mina's own chest. She'll need to be on her guard to avoid it or deflect it.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

Well that clearly proves that Mina can't rely on basic force to solve this problem even if that was a pretty fast and low-power kick. Luckily, despite her size that isn't really what she specializes in. Mina immediately lowers herself, twisting as Hiep's kick approaches her and reaching as she does, trying to catch the blow and use Hiep's momentum to help her spin and throw her attacker aside. Predictably, towards a nearby wall. Because they're in a city, all directions have nearby walls.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

Mina's maneuver succeeds and Hiep is successfully flung at the nearest wall. She connects with a *thump*, but catches her balance mid-air and lands gracefully.

"Good, good. You've got quick reactions."

Then she picks up a nearby discarded can and flings it at Mina. It's not going to do any real damage if it connects, but it might hurt a bit - and she threw it with uncanny precision.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

Mina turns her head, and the can pings off of her left horn instead of her nose. She shakes her head with a snort.
"Okay that one looked cooler in my head before I remembered these things are attached to my skull."
It seemed that Mina has managed to at least pass THE TEST OF HER REFLEXES.
What else does the Sidereal have for her?
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 10, 2024 4:04 pm [Grave Matters]

"Could be useful then. I'll have to see what I can do with that information." Ambrosia concludes after a moment of thought. "Should the battle happen, do you want me to return to you and give you whatever data I manage to collect?" She seems confident in winning at the very least.
[Grave Matters]

"It would help me discover more, certainly." Utayo replies, making no remark toward Ambrosia's confidence. It's not her place to question. "Though perhaps you won't have any need for it afterward."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Grave Matters]

"Well, I'm still not sure why he wanted the orb in the first place. For all I know he could have taken it back to his creator who very well might have made more machines just like him." She gestures to Utayo.
"Since if there's anything I learned from you is that if there's one machine there's usually more as a creator usually don't stop at one. So anything I learn could be applicable to a lot more."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

"Very true. Most machines are constructed to at least be a repeatable design, if not in mass." Utayo agrees. "Wishful thinking on my part then." She smiles faintly.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Grave Matters]

"I'd try to see this as less of a problem and more of an opportunity to learn more about his design. Since as much as I've come to despise this creature it's never the less an impressive construct, right? You could in theory make a copy of this thing if you had the right resources." Or at least that was her impression. But she really wanted to bring Utayo something impressive.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

Hiep's next test seems very straightforward. She charges Mina, tries to grapple her around the waist and bodily throw her overhead. Despite being far smaller than the minotaur, it's clear Hiep possesses superhuman strength, so Mina will have to give it her all to stand her ground.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

"Potentially. There's some oddities that I'm uncertain are replicable, however. There's certainly some large gaps in my understanding that I'm not sure I can close with what I have now." Utayo gives the mass of tiny machines a searching look. "Understanding some of the context of their creation would go a long way."
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

Hiep will probably quickly see that grappling is one of Mina's specialty skills. The second Hiep attempts to grab her she drives her hands down and out to separate Hiep's arms with practiced speed. She immediately presses, attempting to reverse the maneuver on Hiep.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Mar 18, 2024 1:52 am [Grave Matters]

"Potentially. There's some oddities that I'm uncertain are replicable, however. There's certainly some large gaps in my understanding that I'm not sure I can close with what I have now." Utayo gives the mass of tiny machines a searching look. "Understanding some of the context of their creation would go a long way."
[Grave Matters]

"Perhaps I could look into a potential creator too if I get the chance. We'll see. I'm not sure yet when or where the confrontation will take place but optimally I'd be able to do some more analyzing then." While she was confident that she could beat the thief she was less confident that she could interrogate him.
Still, she would try, if this was even remotely related to Utayo's research then it was important.

"But again, I do apologize for just showing up unannounced like this but it's an, ah, unprecedented situation and you were the only one I could think of that might be able to help with this." Besides possibly her ex but asking her for help would be even more awkward.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

Hiep grunts approvingly when Mina reverses her maneuver. Good, good. Mina might get a brief impression that Hiep's arms hold enough strength to overpower her, but she's not using all of it. She does lean back, try to pull Mina along and fall on her back, trying to flip the minotaur above her and behind her.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

Utayo inclines her head. "Apology accepted. I wish you luck in dealing with your thief problem. With fortune, you'll recover your loss quickly." Utayo has many questions as to the motivation behind the crime, but those will certainly have to come after that confrontation.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Grave Matters]

"I'm certain I won't need much in the way of luck, but I will accept it nonetheless." Ambrosia declares, smiling confidently.
"But I'm going to get out of your hair now. But I won't be long though so don't go anywhere now."

Then she's going to start putting her armor on and eventually leave.
Though she will be back in less than a day.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Triumphant Return

A couple of days after the last meeting Utayo's doorbell rings again.

She isn't sure how but Ambrosia is right outside as a dragon small enough to just fit through her door.
But what's more is that her tail is wrapped around the missing orb and there's small marks across a lot of her scales. Her mane is also still wet but that doesn't seem as concerning.

Of particular note is that her tail wags back and forth as it holds the orb. "I did it."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

Hiep manages to break Mina’s grip, but throwing her doesn’t send her too far. Mina aims herself so she springs off the ground with her hands as she hits it and lands mostly gracefully back on her hooves.
”You know, my last life was named She Who Grapples the Sky. I don’t think I’m quite there yet. But still a choice to go for grappling on me.” she says, clearly not winded.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

"I'll be sure not to range too far." Utayo replies. Thankfully she was in the middle of a small Nexus visit, so she didn't need to change any plans.

In the meantime, though, she considers what to do with this machine mass. Leaving it in a heap on her workbench is absolutely not an option.

[Triumphant Return]

Utayo answers the door, a bit taken aback by Ambrosia's dragon form in the first moment, but she moves back to allow her to enter. "So you did." Her eyes flit toward some of the marks over her body. "You're not hurt, are you?"

The room looks about as it did the day prior, except the 'sample' Ambrosia brought her is out of sight. There's a metal container next to her workbench that's the likely candidate for its location.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Triumphant Return]

"Mere scratches." The dragon replies dismissively as she ducks under the door frame, first with her head, then with her wings and finally her tail which she's still holding high as it sways behind her.

"While your concern is appreciated that thing didn't manage to as much as lay a hand on me, it just fired at me from afar which wasn't nearly enough to break through my scales. Not that things went according to plan. I was drawn out into combat completely unprepared yet I still managed to melt down most of its body."

As her tail nearly bumps into Utayo's furniture as she talks she starts to coil it around her body like a giant serpent, its sheer length being somewhat incontinent indoors even at this size.
"My only regret is that I didn't kill it."

A beat.

Then the orb is nearly shoved into Utayo's face while the dragon grins enthusiastically. "But I got what he had stolen from me! It's such a thrill. It's the first time I met anything... well, let me ask you this, do you want anything, Mrs Iwatsuki? Anything at all? Since I feel like celebrating and you have helped me out so much and it doesn't feel like I've really returned the favor yet. While I choose to travel around as a human scholar I am a dragon of no small means. Besides the countless* of books in my possession I'm capable of giving you research materials, access to any person you might want to talk to..."

She pauses, perhaps realizing she was being a bit too intense.
"...just give it some thought. Consider it an open offer for helping me out with all this.

*There was exactly ten million, sixhundredthousand fourhundred and nintyfive books, paintings and scrolls in her library. Or at least there was since the last daily update she had from her spiritual custodians. She would have to wait for her monthly count to be sure. But the point was that they were hardly countless, it was just that saying the exact number was a bit of a mouthful.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Apr 06, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Incognito Golem]

"Damn, it was? That wasn't in the briefing." Hiep's sigh indicates disappointment, but not surprise. That's just how it goes. "But I've seen enough for now. You're not bad, so I can up on some pressure to keep you sharp. You'll see me... hopefully when you don't expect it."
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Both combatants would become aware of an odd sort of 'squish-click... squish-click...' noise that was as close as Eddie could come to applause after they had broken apart.

The little golem nodded at Hiep. "Y'know, if you can spawn clones or anything like that, maybe you could spar with me when you show up. You look like you're good enough that I wouldn't have to worry quite as much about killing you accidentally." Which might not sound like much, but was actually one of the highest compliments Eddie could give an organic combatant.

Then he turned back to Mina. "So, that was fun. Is your life usually this exciting?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

"Well, you're clearly a magical badass or something so thanks for keeping things reasonable the first time." Mina isn't too proud to admit that Hiep could probably win pretty easily if she was going all-out. Of course Mina wasn't either, but using Sai would kind of go against the spirit of the challenge. And probably wouldn't bridge the gap either.
"From time to time, Eddie. But mostly it's training and college."