Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead District- Harmacy

Lia nods, eyes narrowed shrewdly as if she knows exactly what's going on. She does not. The prices might as well be in a different language as far as she's concerned, and she doesn't even know why they're going to any hotel. But she's getting used to operating without a full understanding of the situation.

"Thanks for the directions, the Happy Hole sounds fine. We'll take the stuff and then be off," she says briskly, holding out her hand for them. It does occur to her that Sandels also doesn't have money, so she braces herself for what he might be planning next.
horses can attack and eat me

Tags:
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Keeper wrote: Mar 27, 2023 12:29 pmMina’s Place

”Okay. Uh, well you have room and board here, for sure. And I’ll pay you on top of that. Send me the grocery bills I guess?”
Mina shakes her head, clearly embarrassed.
”Sorry, I’ve never hired someone before.”
[Mina's Place]

Emily smiles, a ghastly thing given her massive teeth, "Sure, will do. Just gotta take stock of everything first. Never made meals consistently for an obligate vegan before, but hey, I'm sure I can deal with it."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Thunderhead District - Harmacy]

The backdoor seems too well fortified for it to be worth it to try sneaking in that way. The electric floor is inconvenient too. Sandels glances at Lia's feet. His stolen shoes might insulate him well enough to protect him from shock, but the same doesn't apply to her. A change of tactics might be in order. He returns his attention to the shopkeeper and tries to keep the conversation going.

"Oh, I know the place got burned down. I was there." He holds his hands up where she can see them, fingers spread out. He didn't get his injuries from that incident, but they might still pass for those of someone who got burned and healed very badly. "So, do you accept credit? Would Visa do? Or firstborn children?" He reaches under his shirt and hooks his finger around the chain of his pendant, pulling it part way out.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Black Abyss Milk Factory]

Mina breaks down the door leading back to the hallway she came from, the hinges rending with a screech. From there she can easily get to the previously barred holding room that contained the other hostages, but she's too late. They are no more.

Not in the scattered around the room exploded sense, nor in the guts everywhere food for mecha-zombie sense. But rather more in the just are not there at all sense. A small and stymied blood trail left behind by the injured hostage leads out and down the hall towards the front entrance, telling Mina the story. The lack of signs of struggle clarify the tale further.

Those hostages a hundred percent completely ignored Mina's instructions and made a break for it on their own the moment Mina moved on to the warehouse.

[Black Abyss Milk Factory - Control Room]

The door is latched tight, its locks thicker and heavier than most in the factory. As if Raven considered this room to be a fallback bunker option should things swing that way. It didn't today, but having contingencies and back-ups is important when you're a super evil sexy genius as brilliant and as amazing as the Empress of Everything. Staying two steps ahead also means sometimes taking a few steps to the side!

44... 43... 42...
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rose fumbles with the door for a moment, before pulling back and concluding that she was not, in fact, getting out that way. Raven probably hadn't intended to lock her in the room, or rather, that probably hadn't been her plan when she designed it. If anything, that door might be a good sign; if Raven intended to use the room as a superhero-resistant bunker, it could probably survive the factory's self-destruct sequence, too.

So either Rose is safe and has nothing to worry about, or she's screwed and there's nothing she can do. Which means she can focus her attention on other matters.

Rose returns to the controls and looks over the varioud displays, including the gauges and dials that monitored the factory's processes. Since survival is out of her hands now, the best she can do at the moment is damage control. When this place blows up, it's going to scatter its byproducts all over the place, and while Rose is reasonably sure the heat and force of the explosion would cause the chemicals in the milk to break down and they weren't going to have an infatuation epidemic on their hands, there's no reason why she can't help it along.

As she looks over the controls, Rose starts fiddling with the dials, looking to bring up the boiler temperature and ruin the remaining love potion.

"Dammit, Raven, why'd you have to make them all black?" Rose curses as she works.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Thunderhead District Harmacy

"Yeah? Then y'want something stronger. Aspirin's no good for burns. Recommend some of this stuff." The gnome holds up a syringe of clear liquid, the needle capped. Although then she's asked about credit. "I accept goods only. Physical cash, not that useless crypto currency bullshit. You got a firstborn child, take it to the Guild. They'll give you cash for it. I don't want no sprogs getting in the way and dribbling over the sterile medkits." The woman snatches back the aspirin and bandages away from the slot, heading to put them back on the shelves where she found them. "If you can't get cash, I'll take bullets, jewels, tinned pineapple, salt, or baccy. Purer the better for salt an' baccy.."
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia may not know about money, but bartering is more familiar to her. Leaning towards the window, she winks conspiratorially.

"Now I don't have many possessions as such, but I can, say, grow some things for you. Fungi has a lot of uses- drugs, deadly poison, tonics, even cooking. And I can make any of them, takes no time at all. You just tell me what you want, and how much. Any of that spark your interest?"

To demonstrate, she holds out her hand, and from her palm a large black morel swiftly grows, fully maturing in just a couple seconds. For those familiar with such things, morels aren't known for having special properties, but are highly sought after as a delicacy. She plucks it with her other hand and holds it out for inspection.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

"Oh, gods. Yes. We have to help them." As Dorota's fear for her life ebbs, she can once more coherently think about things other than survival. As such, she follows Mina as quickly as she can. "They... escaped?" she asks when they see the scene.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Black Abyss Milk Factory

"I rescued them, but I told them not to leave without me because there were zombies outside. Come on."
Mina charges after the trail. If nothing else if the hostages got out that means they can leave right now. Even if she has to punch more zombies to save them they can do that outside the blast radius.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Well all the doors leading back out are closed and locked, so Mina may have to bust through those as well on her stampede out. It's certainly slower going than expected, but if they push themselves they may find themselves outside of the blast radius. They'll really only find out when it goes off. Outside, there's no sign of anyone, former hostages or mecha-zombies alike. It seems they too are not interested in being within the blast zone.

FWOOOSH! However, just outside the front door a pair of flamethrower turrets have emerged from hiding and are spinning wildly and out of control, flaming anything and everything around them. It as if someone in the control room is fighting to keep the duo inside where they will surely perish. But going out there may be too hot to handle!

Black is just the best color to represent Raven Ebondark. Rose will find a number of buttons and dials labeled heat and raising all those and pressing everything probably accomplishes what she desires. And if it doesn't she'll just have to press even more buttons! Admittedly, it may be hard to tell exactly how much effect this is going to have and half a minute isn't a lot of time to get the temperature up in time to boil giant vats. But every bit helps and if the formula is as sensitive as Dorota made it out to be, the heat of the explosion will go a long way to neutralizing the threat as well. There is, of course, always the option to press the singular button that's blacker than all the rest. The only one Raven saw fit to protect under a sheet of glass. Or she could text Raven one last time. Call her mom. Maybe get on her knees and pray. She has twenty odd seconds to live her best life, however that may turn out.

27... 26... 25...
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rose stops fiddling when she sees the gauge for the production vats' temperature start slowly rising: that's accomplished what it was she meant to do. No point in messing around beyond that; she doesn't want to accidentally trigger something else that might make it harder for Mina and Dorota to escape. How embarrassing would that be?

With a sigh, Rose clicks open the back of her phone and extracts the SD card. It had been too risky to send the data she's been collecting off-site, as she doesn't know how well Raven's been monitoring the signals to and from her lair, but since she's possibly about to die, she needs to take whatever steps she can to make sure that information is still retrievable. Namely, by putting it in a more shock-absorbant case.

ulp!

Rose winces at the metallic taste and looks back up at the timer. Twenty seconds or so, it looks like. She might use this time to get in touch with someone. She still has Raven's number, maybe she could...

No. It should be someone she cares about. And more importantly, someone she would want to find her.

Rose turns over her phone and quickly scrolls through her contacts, before settling on the one she wants.

She just hopes he isn't busy.

Now Dialing - Fayyaad

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

Trailing behind Mina and watching her bust down doors lets Dorota recover somewhat and focus on how she can help them escape instead of just hoping she doesn't die. And when two flamethrower turrets show up, she finds she can do something.

"Hang on-" managing to stop her hands from shaking for a few moments, she throws the vial of rust extract she surreptitiously made earlier at one of the turrets. When the liquid splashes the metal, it will start rapidly rusting as if exposed to water for months.

Fortunately for Rose, Fayyaad seems free enough to pick up quickly.

"Hi Rose," he greets her.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"Hey, Fay." Rose greets in return, a melancholic sag in her voice. "I'm, um... I'm calling to let you know that I'm probably not gonna make lunch tomorrow." She gives a rueful smile to nobody in particular; it's not like Fayyaad can see her. "And, um... because I really don't want to be alone right now. I know that's going to be a lot to ask of you, but... well, you know me."

Selfish to the end, she thinks to herself.

"I'm at the Black Abyss Milk Factory in Skyside. It's at [address]. Make sure somebody finds me, okay?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

...what? Fayyaad's sudden dread is audible even through the telephone. "What's happening? I'm on my way, just hang in there." There are sounds of the tiefling getting up, putting his phone in speaker mode and getting ready to leave.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Heh." Rose smiles a little to herself. "And here I was worried nobody was going to miss me."

After all, why would they? Raven certainly wasn't going to care. Dorota and Tempest only know her as Raven's minion and wouldn't get to know any better until long afterward, if at all. Her old co-workers have moved on to their own lives and her new ones... well, while she's tried to make a good impression on them, she can't claim to be truly close with any of them.

"Present" company notwithstanding.

"That's sweet of you, Fayyaad, but I'm fifteen seconds away from being blown to kingdom come. You'd never get here and out in time." She sniffs, surprised to find her vision misting up. "I'm not calling for a rescue. I'm calling to say goodbye."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Halae wrote: Mar 27, 2023 6:08 pm [Mina's Place]

Emily smiles, a ghastly thing given her massive teeth, "Sure, will do. Just gotta take stock of everything first. Never made meals consistently for an obligate vegan before, but hey, I'm sure I can deal with it."
Mina's Place

"Well, I can have fish sometimes at least. But uh. Yeah." This would be so much easier if Sai had ever taken interest in food, but he hadn't paid that much attention when Tarr was alive and didn't need to eat even while mortal, so he didn't have 100% clear idea of what Mina can and can't have in what quantities.

Black Abyss Milk Factory

Mina calls on Sai one more time (he's really tired) and a gust of wind blows from the side against the non-rusted turret. With one turret rusted out and the other's flames being hampered by the wind, they might be able to slip out the front door towards the rusted turret's side and away from the place.
"Come on!"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

The flamethrower rusts and they can tell it's finished because of the mini-explosion that causes it to collapse. A piece of the shrapnel whirls and catches in Sai's wind gust, being accelerated further into the other flamethrower which also explodes upon impact. The two mini-fireballs providing an excellent backdrop as Mina and Dorota whip on through, clothes and hair billowing dramatically.

The monitors continue to coldly count down without care or remorse.

9... 8... 7...

It's at this time Rose gets another call. It's always awkward getting a call while you're on a call already. She can tell from the unique ringtone she's set up (or just by looking), that it's from Raven. Granted, taking the call does mean she's talking to an Evil Empress Nekomancer instead of hot dancer Fayyaad and maybe that's just not palatable in these last few moments.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

Dorota doesn't need to be told twice; as the turrets blow up she runs like her life depends on it. Because it in fact does.

Fayyad stutters briefly. Saying goodbye like this is very difficult, but he's aware how little time he has.

"Either way I won't leave you there. And I'm glad to have met you," is what he manages to say.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

With the taste of your lips, I'm on a ride~

Rose smiles and sniffles, leaving Raven's call unanswered. If the empress was about to express regret, Rose didn't really want to hear it; it would probably be more productive to let Raven feel the full weight of the consequences of blowing up her girlfriend. And if she wasn't about to express regret... well, even more so, Rose doesn't want to hear that. Especially not if it meant putting Fayyaad on hold.

"...Thank you, Fayyaad." Rose takes up a position under the console and waits for the timer to tick down. "...I'm glad to have met you, too."

...She has five seconds left. If there was anything else she wanted to say to Fayyaad, now would be the time.

Well, there is one thing. But it'd be really selfish to bring it up now. And... he probably already knows. There's no sense in adding to the anguish by making them her last words.

...But then, she doesn't have much use for sense now.

"Fay..." Rose inhales deeply to steady herself. "...I... I lo-"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I'll dig you out of the rubble myself if I have to," are Fayyaad's quite possibly last words to Rose. Spoken with an intensity she's rarely if ever heard from him.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Mina's hurried footfalls echo across a shockingly quiet landscape, as if sound had fallen away. Dorota can feel the acid in her underused legs burning as she pushes her body harder than she has in a long time, the whipping of her labcoat stinging the back of her thighs.

[Black Abyss Milk Factory Control Room]

The phone continues to ring insistently, fighting a pointless battle for Rose's wayward attention.

I'm addicted to you, don't you know that you're toxic~

[Black Abyss Corporate Headquarters]

Raven has perched upon the roof of her business, Brian's jetpack fuel all but spent as he stands there emotionlessly. Raven's eyes are half on the factory in the distance, but mostly on the phone she held in her hand, the catgirl yelling insistently at it despite the fact that it was still ringing and no one on the other side was listening. "What are you DOING?!! You're cutting it too close, press the big black button! Under the glass Rose, press the Button!! ROSE PRESS THE BUTT-"

[Black Abyss]

Everything goes still for a moment, only the last lingering words Rose has to say to Fayyaad coming through the speaker.

KABOOOOOOOOM!!!

The button is not pressed. No control room escape pod closes around Rose and launches her to safety. Instead only fire and force close around her as the explosion rips through the building and shakes the island of Skyside.

It is, at least, mercifully quick.

Mina and Dorota make it to the edge of the blast radius before it goes off, both of them feeling the raw heat licking at the back of their necks as the force of the explosion thrusts them forward dramatically, as if they were jumping. They may end up with scrapes, but they've avoided a great deal worse.

Raven's phone slowly drops from her hand as the reds and oranges of the fireball dance across her irises. The rest of her body follows shortly thereafter, her knees pressing into her chest asking herself why. Why didn't Rose just trust her? Rose didn't trust her to give the heroes a fighting chance, didn't trust her to be able to hold her own in a fight, didn't trust her when she told Rose about the button, didn't trust her when she called. Raven thought they were special. That they meant something, that... it doesn't matter now. This is why mechazombies were superior. Why her lovers had to be upgraded. Before fickle human emotion got in the way. Like trust. And love.

And sadness.

Raven's face buries into her knees as her tail curls around her legs, the Empress missing the sight as the impotent boiled milk begins to rain across the landscape, a rainbow forming in the sky in front of the smoke and ash.
► SHOW SPOILER
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 28, 2023 3:14 pm Thunderhead District Harmacy

"Yeah? Then y'want something stronger. Aspirin's no good for burns. Recommend some of this stuff." The gnome holds up a syringe of clear liquid, the needle capped. Although then she's asked about credit. "I accept goods only. Physical cash, not that useless crypto currency bullshit. You got a firstborn child, take it to the Guild. They'll give you cash for it. I don't want no sprogs getting in the way and dribbling over the sterile medkits." The woman snatches back the aspirin and bandages away from the slot, heading to put them back on the shelves where she found them. "If you can't get cash, I'll take bullets, jewels, tinned pineapple, salt, or baccy. Purer the better for salt an' baccy.."
quillpleasant wrote: Mar 28, 2023 8:09 pm Thunderhead District Harmacy

Lia may not know about money, but bartering is more familiar to her. Leaning towards the window, she winks conspiratorially.

"Now I don't have many possessions as such, but I can, say, grow some things for you. Fungi has a lot of uses- drugs, deadly poison, tonics, even cooking. And I can make any of them, takes no time at all. You just tell me what you want, and how much. Any of that spark your interest?"

To demonstrate, she holds out her hand, and from her palm a large black morel swiftly grows, fully maturing in just a couple seconds. For those familiar with such things, morels aren't known for having special properties, but are highly sought after as a delicacy. She plucks it with her other hand and holds it out for inspection.
[Thunderhead District Harmacy]

"Hey hey, don't put those away just yet", Sandels complains to the gnome, "I have..." He would've said "silver", but then Lia suddenly steps up and displays unexpected level of usefulness. "... mushrooms. We have mushrooms." He lets his pendant fall back under his shirt.

"So, how about it? If it's not enough for the rest, just the bandages will do." He's sure there's some kind of a catch to Lia's ability - maybe the mushrooms will turn to dust once she's away - but this is as good of a ploy as his next two ideas.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Black Abyss Milk Factory Wreck

Mina is-
Not dead!
Always nice.
"Well, I think I'm going to have to see a healer about my ears and possibly my ribs but I think we're good. I didn't see any other blood so I guess Raven's zombies let the hostages go." Raven has been oddly sporting about the whole thing so Mina supposes that killing hostages without her being aware of it wouldn't have any point to Raven.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Black Abyss Milk Factory Wreck]

Dorota seems to have curled up in a fetal position and makes a non-committal noise. She hopes Mina is right and the other hostages didn't die. She'd feel awful if she was the sole survivor. But she can't articulate it at the moment.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Black Abyss Milk Factory Wreck]

(By the exit)

pakle

Is the approximate sound of a charred but otherwise still-recognizable military-style hat landing next to Mina, parts of the fabric burnt away to reveal the hard brimming material underneath.

A small reminder from the universe that she forgot something important in her haste to escape.

(Phone)

Fayyaad might recognize the sound of an explosion playing over the speaker. It is, mercifully, not as loud as it would be in person, thanks to the phone's limited ability to replicate it, but the rapid deterioration into crackling as the audio codec caps out is its own kind of abuse to his ears.

And, unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. By the sound of things, against the odds, Rose's phone survived the explosion, which means the entire ride over, Fayyaad will be treated to three other sounds.

The first is a dull, underlying crackling noise... possibly static from a damaged microphone, but given the context, possibly also the sound of something burning, if it isn't both.

The second is an unsteady creak as the various supports continue to give way, left standing after the initial explosion but slowly deteriorating as heat and systemic structural failure take hold, punctuated by the occasional crash of said support beams finally collapsing into the rubble.

And the third... the third is a clear indication that, despite the hazards associated with the fresh demolition, there is still a purpose to his going:

Ragged, agonized breathing.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Black Abyss Milk Factory

The universe would be assuming several things, like that Mina didn't deliberately leave without Rose because she thought the minion would have her own way out. Or that she was paying enough attention to Rose while fighting a giant robot-zombie to memorize her outfit.

Or in this specific case, that she isn't too busy tending to Dorota.
"Hey. Come on, we have to get going." she tries to gently pick up the scientist and get her out of there.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Five destroying angels, if you can do 'em. That'll get you the aspirin and bandages. Double it and I'll get you a nopioid. So called because they make pain go 'nope, not feelin' it here'." That is not why opioids are called opioids. She'll head back with the stuff she'd gathered, ready to hand it over for the hopefully dangerous mushrooms. She doesn't specify which variety of destroying angel mushroom she wants, so hopefully she either knows how to identify them all or doesn't care and can get what she wants from it no matter what type it is.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Yeah..." Dorota looks like she's valiantly trying not to throw up, but manages to stand. Then her eyes drift to the hat. Something occurs to her. "...is this Rose's hat? I hope she made it out. She's crazy but I don't want anyone to have died."

Elsewhere, Fayyaad is flying his carpet towards the destruction site. The sound of explosion, distorted by his phone's speaker, will haunt him for a while yet. Including in his dreams. But what he hears when the thunder has passed is what fills him in equal parts with hope and dread.

"Rose, if you can hear me, hang in there. I'm on my way." Though the closer he gets to the disaster site, the clearer it becomes just what kind of task lies ahead of him. How is he going to dig her out of that? But he has to try...
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

"Well I don't like pain! Nopioid it is," says Lia cheerfully. She holds out her arm and breathes out slowly. Mushrooms quickly dot the surface of her skin with a faint popping sound, growing to maturity in just a few moments. They're small and white, with conical caps. Those who are familiar with mycology might recognize them as amanita virosa, the European destroying angel.

As the fungi grows, Lia's forearm seems so shrivel slightly, losing its teal luster and taking on a somewhat withered look. Wincing, she plucks the deadly mushrooms, depositing all ten on the counter in a neat stack. She waves her arm as if shaking off a burn.

"How's that for useful?" she says to Sandels, a note of pride in her voice.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Black Abyss Milk Factory

"I mean...she had to have. There's no way there was no villainous back door in the control room. If she needed my help she would have just asked, right? I was right there."
Mina glances over at the wrecked factory.
"You want to go back in there and look?" she asks sincerely.