Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by Morty »

[Tempest Row Clinic]

"That's what I'm here for. To enrich everyone with my presence." Fayyaad flashes a bright smile. Olvisin smirks, one of her ears pointing up.

"Alright, lovebirds. Time to get Rose home. More slowly than I came here."

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Ruins of Trust-Worthy Hotel

Lia's thinking this is another dead end, but she's willing to try at least a little harder. "Okay but like Sandels said- this 'weapon' would be for warding off evil spirits. That's a form of protection, right? Maybe there's something we can do for you in exchange?"

Not that a suit of armor would likely want much.
horses can attack and eat me
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: May 01, 2023 4:31 am [Raindrop Apartment]

"The stair entrance to the roof is more complicated, I'm afraid, so this will have to do." Utayo explains apologetically. "But it will take us directly there." Thankfully there appears to be no cameras around.

"I hope you won't do that now. It'll be hard to keep a low profile if we need to be rescued." Utayo says with a very slight smile. She neglects to mention that this concern would have been best brought up before they were already sealed inside. She imagines this isn't some grave warning.
[Raindrop Apartment]

"Does everyone that live here get special roof access?" Ambrosia inquires before raising one of her claws as to object. "Oh, no, no... I can control it." She lies. "Wouldn't put my own son in danger. Not to mention yours." Well, that part was true at least. "Actually, do you know the gender yet?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Ruins of the Trust-Worthy Hotel]
Earl of Purple wrote: May 01, 2023 5:02 pm "I won't kill. I've seen too much killing for one lifetime, and one deathtime as well. I use my sword to threaten, and to keep it out of the hands of others. I keep these guys out of trouble. That one's grandfather buried my bones. I thought that might help me rest easier." Obviously, it didn't work. The person they indicate is the twitchy half-elf.

Even if the ghost weren't a pacifist- or at least uninclined towards killing- the armour itself is a protective thing, and might not appreciate being a weapon.
quillpleasant wrote: May 01, 2023 9:05 pm Lia's thinking this is another dead end, but she's willing to try at least a little harder. "Okay but like Sandels said- this 'weapon' would be for warding off evil spirits. That's a form of protection, right? Maybe there's something we can do for you in exchange?"

Not that a suit of armor would likely want much.
Sandels is a bit more optimistic than Lia. Nobody's trying to kill him and they're still talking, that means the negotiations are still on track.

"If you don't wish to kill, then don't", he says with a shrug to the ghostly armor, "but please consider who your likely opponent would be. When I go around fighting evil spirits, I don't think of it as killing them. That would be absurd, since they're already dead. Instead, I think of it as setting them free."

He glances over his shoulder back into the hotel, before resuming looking at the armor. "Most evil spirits aren't much different from you, at the start. They might not have been bad people in life, even. They just slowly go crazy and turn into something twisted as time goes on. Destroying those twisted forms is like... sanding off some rust or tarnish to reveal what once was underneath." He gestures at the rusty spots on the armor.

"I can make it so that for any spirit you fight, their fate will be the same as if they'd fought me. I can teach you to release any other spirit you find in a situation such as yours. Come on. You've had a good run. Serving a family for, what, two or three generations? More than a fair payment for a good burial. I'd say they owe more to you than you owe to them at this point." He glances at the half-elf.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruins of the Trust-Worthy Hotel

"I think... I think I might like that." The armour turns towards the other goons, helmet facing the half-elf. "I am sorry, Stiorra. But my debt was paid when I buried your grandfather. And paid further when I buried your mother. I do not wish to have to bury you as well. Have a life, and live it, Stiorra. You'll never know when it might end." The twitchy half-elf smiles at this, and nods slowly, taking her cut-throat razor and flicking it open to one side.
"You creeped mum out, y'know? I been grateful you've looked me after, and grateful you've looked mum after. You been a help, but I stopped deserving your help when I started listening to this one." She gestures at the cephalid. "You go. Don't want you to see what happens next." She grins, and tilts her head to one side, eyes going wide.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

As she watches the reaper and the spirit talk through their deal, a smile blossoms over Lia's face. It's nice for something to go right for once, and it seems like this might genuinely be a good fate for the armored spirit.

She shuffles a little uncomfortably as the half elf takes out her razor. From the moment Lia first saw her, she's felt more than a little on edge, and the wide eyed grin doesn't help. Remaining quiet as the spirit's negotiations continue, Lia tenses herself for the possibility of things to go wrong afterwards.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Tempest Row Clinic]

"Heh. All right. I suppose you two have gotten enough adrenaline for one night." Rose chuckles.

---

[Black Abyss Headquarters]

"...Ah, hell."

"What?"

"We're delivering to this girl again."

"...Wait, you mean the chick that threw you out a window? I thought she was up on [Body Shop street]"

"Apparently not. I should have known from the bouquet.

...Okay, you know what? Why don't we just leave it with reception."

"...Yeah, okay. Works for me."

There's a delivery here for Raven Ebondark; flowers and a card. The flowers are a familiar arrangement; two dozen roses, eight black, eight yellow, eight orange. The card is a plain white affair with the words "Get Well Soon!" written caligraphically on the front in golden ink. Inside the card is a sound chip that plays soothing music when opened, along with a hand-written note containing a passably familiar 10-digit phone number, followed by a short string of xs, os, and a little heart at the end.

There's no name attached, but it shouldn't be hard for Raven to guess who it's from.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Sandels's head stays still but his eyes move rapidly from side to side as he looks back and forth between Stiorra and Mr. Squidface. "Oooookay. Well, it's nice if it's all fine with you", he says warily to the half-elf. He's not sure he likes where this is going, regardless of whether he'll be personally involved. He turns his attention back to the armored ghost. "We'll be leaving this city, me and this girl", he gestures at Lia, "sooner rather than later would be nice, but if you have things to pack, I can wait a day or two. Or you can catch up with us on the road if you don't want to come with us right away. I can tell you where we're heading. So. Is it a deal?" He holds out his right hand for shaking. "If it's a deal, swear by your name to be there, and I'll swear on the Sign of the Reaper to do all I promised."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Raindrop Apartment]

"Oh no, the rooftop is employee access only." There's that little smile again. "I'm not yet aware. It's a bit early to check, actually. My husband is advocating that we leave it a surprise, but I think I'd like to be able to prepare accordingly."

The elevator stops a moment alter, and opens up to the roof. As she mentioned, it's really not a space meant for people to be spending time. Most of the surface is occupied by various machinery.
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

It's a small miracle the package manages to make it up from reception to Raven's desk. No one's manning reception when the florists drop off the delivery. The entire front lobby abandoned and ghost like, lights flickering ominously and a smear of blood running to the elevator. The hint of fingernails on the floor and grooves suggest someone got fully dragged on. Fortunately, at least, the florists equally can get out of that haunted corporate stain before anything terrible happens to them!

Yet, make it up to Raven's desk it does. Which leaves the Empress of Everything trembling with rage. "HOW. DARE?!?!"

Someone has the gall, THE GALL, to impersonate Rose? To send this to Raven to rub that incident into her face?! To bait her! What is this, a corporate sabotage attempt? MERC calling card saying they're coming to get her out of vengeance? A jealous mecha-zombie too clingy to let go, but too shy to express their true feelings face to face?! Whoever it was has made a huge mistake and Raven's going to make sure they know it. With a hiss, she tosses the full two dozen in the waste bin along with pointless paper and lights it on fire.

Stepping around in front of her desk, a pair of mecha-zombies kneel for Raven as she steps up on their upstretched hands, rising up as she looks to her giant villainous screen. With a gleam of her red cyber eye, it flicks to life, sending forth a video call to the number that was on the card. The gothic nekomancer scowls horrendously at the screen as she waits for the other side to pick up, looking displeased with the world from her gloomy den, lit more than usual by the flaming trash can and giving her face an almost demonic sheen.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Bup-bew buh-duh-dup~
Bup-bew duh-buh-dup~
Bup-bew buh-duh-

On the other side of the phone, Rose takes a deep, calming breath and brushes her hair out of her good eye, making some last-mimute adjustments to the medical patch over the other one. She's not sure what she's in for on the other end of the video call, so she's going to havw to prepare herself for a wide array of emotional responses. If Raven's overjoyed to see her alive, she'll have to match that energy. If she's angry, Rose will need to stay calm, maybe even meek. If she's relieved, Rose will need to be a comfort and a support. If she breaks down in tears... all bets are off, really.

So for now, Rose is keeping it simple. Sitting up straight im her hospital bed, shoulders squared. Keeping a small smile on her face; enough to imply in the first split second that she's happy to be hearing from Raven again, but not enough to imply amusement, or god forbid, schadenfreude.

Keep it simple, Verdoyant. Smile and wave. Work it out from there.

As the screen flickers to life, Raven will find herself staring at Rose from arm's length, the camera positioned slightly over her head, selfie-style. The henchwoman flashes Raven a little peace sign with her damaged hand, showing off the pink plastic caps that were sealing off the parts of her fingers that were blown off in the explosion.

What Rose sees is a bit more concerning. Raven looks pissed. Rose's card and flowers are sitting in the garbage, not only trashed but very visibly on fire. She can even hear the hauntingly discordant sounds of the chip in the card still stalwartly attempting to hum out the glitched chords of "Still Alive" even as the fire consumes it. And of course, she's making her usual attempts at impressing her monumental importance on Rose, standing on her zombies like they're little more than a convenient stepstool.

Whew boy. This was going to be a fun conversation.

"...Hey, Raven." Rose opens, her voice heavy and husky from her recovery. "I... see you got my flowers. And card."

(I'm NoT eVeN aNgRy
I'm BeInG sO sInCeRe RiGhT nOw
EvEn ThOuGh YoU bRoKe My HeArT aNd KiLlEd Me)

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I do not have anything to pack. I can leave now." The armour nods, as much as it can at least, and will stride forward, ready to follow wherever Lia and Sandals go.

The cephalid, meanwhile, starts to run. Stiorra grins and turns to follow, though she's not running. The other goons don't quite seem to know what to make of the developments.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

"Well if you're going to be coming with us, we should actually introduce ourselves! I'm Hyphaelia, but you can call me Lia. As you might have guessed, mister spooky here goes by Sandels," says Lia pleasantly as the armor walks over to join them. "What should I call you?"

She's a little taken aback as the cephalid takes off running and Stiorra follows after. She half expected them to attack, but this...what is this? Lia blinks bemusedly after them.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Don't die!", Sandels shouts after Stiorra and the fleeing tentacle-beard, "it's more work for me!" It's not clear which one he's shouting to. Then he stuffs his hands to his pockets and saunters towards the nearest lift down.

"I left my ride below", he notes as they walk, "it might be a bit much to cram all three on it, so one of us might have to walk. We're headed... Inside, I think it's called? We'll stop by Arkham Street. I left another suit of armor there, Lia will have to pick it up for me. I'll use parts of it in remaking you. Once I'm done, you will have a new form. A couple of new forms, possibly. I'm still sketching it out in my head." He waves his hands around, as if drawing something. "I'm thinking... a suitcase. That then unfolds into armor. It can also contain all your small arms when not in use. How's that sound?"
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Halae wrote: Apr 24, 2023 6:27 pm [Mina's Place]

"It'd be appreciated," Emily nods. That does sound nice, "I'm used to my old city. Was a little crazy, but not quite so much as the Nexus."
Mina's Place

"Sure. Sai's aesthetic is a little specific but it's nice."
Mina will take Emily through the hallways to see the bathrooms (huge, tiled, with a massive tub big enough even for Emily if she squeezes a little), the sitting rooms (large, with a brand new TV), the library (actually stocked though not all with things Mina would have picked), and finally the guest bedroom. As with every other room, it's large. Though not quite as decorated. The bed is at least large enough for Emily.
"At least there's no statues in this room. Better for sleeping in."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Mina's Place]

"Mmm, creepy stone-faced watchers are my favorite," Emily says, then calls out, "That was sarcasm, don't look at me like that!"

She didn't actually see Sai, of course, but there's a look of amusement on her face just the same.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I am Sir Persyval Ambrefuce the Third of Sturston, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." The helmet turns towards Sandals after. "I do not come with small arms, just one very large sword. I was not able to stop somebody from carrying off my poignard as I was dying, and my lance and original sword broke in the battle. Otherwise, however, it does sound good. I... am almost looking forward to it." Not quite, however. He's got a suspicion that reforging his physical aspect will hurt, which might be less-than-pleasant.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Ruins of Trust-Worthy hotel

Lia traipses after the two, listening to them as Sandels plans out the reforging. She's not especially keen on stopping by the strange house on Arkham Street again, but considering what they went through in the hotel, dealing with a creepy doorkeeper is a picnic in comparison.

She does perk up a little as the armor introduces himself. "You're a knight then? Or were, I guess. I've read about knights quite a lot. Were you in service to a monarch?" Clearly this is an interest of hers, and also she's trying to distract herself from the growing sense of dread as they approach the lift. The journey down isn't likely to be any less terrifying than the journey up.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: May 03, 2023 3:47 am [Raindrop Apartment]

"Oh no, the rooftop is employee access only." There's that little smile again. "I'm not yet aware. It's a bit early to check, actually. My husband is advocating that we leave it a surprise, but I think I'd like to be able to prepare accordingly."

The elevator stops a moment alter, and opens up to the roof. As she mentioned, it's really not a space meant for people to be spending time. Most of the surface is occupied by various machinery.
[Raindrop Apartment]

"Ah, well, they should be glad to have someone as skilled as you on their payroll then." Ambrosia remarks, seemingly having realized the situation judging by how she's smiling. As well as a dragon can smile at least.

When they exit the elevator she spreads her wings once more before starting to look around at the machinery on top. "Perhaps I shouldn't summon a cloud, these machines are probably important aren't they?" She quickly loses interest and instead turns to the view of the city around them. "Beautiful in its own way." Finally, the dragon focuses on her again. "But shall we start then? Probably not going to get a better opportunity than this."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[From ruins of Trust-Worthy Hotel to Groundtown and beyond]

"Oh, you will have small arms when I'm done. I can squeeze in your sword in there, too. You'll see, Sir Persyval", Sandels notes. He doesn't engage in the conversation much after that, letting Lia and the ghost chat as they make their way back town.

Once there, he whistles, and the metal warhorse soon trots to them from behind a corner. It stops a short distance away, scratches the ground with its front hooves and snorts some sulphurous air through its nostrils, as if incredulous that it now has three people to carry.

"We can take turns riding", Sandels says, turning to his companions, "I can be first to walk. Unless someone has other ideas?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Raindrop Apartment]

"If you're concerned they might be damaged, then I'd err on the side of caution." Utayo agrees.

Then the moonfolk kneels, sitting on her feet, with the added detail that her knees don't actually touch the ground. She produces a thin rod, which she stretches open into some sort of digital display. She positions her finger over it, and looks up to Ambrosia. "Yes, let's begin. Perhaps a sidelong view will provide a good foundation." She suggests.
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

Raven's anger fades away quickly into surprise and shock. She clearly doesn't have a clue what to think about this and wasn't expecting Rose to pick up at all. "R-Rose? H-how? Why? How?" A dozen more coherent questions roll through Raven's head but they remain ethereal, each one grasped disappearing in a haze of sleepless confusion.

Todd from ZR runs through the background, chased by a trio of mechazombies, his scream completely ignored by the focused Empress. "Y-you exploded..." Technically inaccurate.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"I got lucky. Some of my friends from MERC were able to find me and get me to a hospital." Rose explains, doing her best to keep her voice level. As she speaks, she looks Raven over, noting the sudden change in demeanor and trying to read the implications from there.

"...You missed me." She notes quietly, her smile fading a bit. That was something of a relief. If Raven was upset that Rose had lived, this would be a very different conversation.

(As ThEy BuRnEd, It HuRt BeCaUsE
I wAs So HaPpY fOr YoU)

"...I'm sorry I have to ask this, but it's... very important and I need you to be totally honest with me." Rose continues, rubbing her temple worriedly. "I swear I won't be angry, no matter what the answer is, but I have to know."

"Back just before you set the factory to self-destruct, you... you threatened to throw me into the vat in Dorota's place. And then when it was time to blow the place up, it triggered an automatic lockdown, leaving me with no place to go." She closes her eyes and sniffs, willing tears to the corners of her eyes.

"Raven... did you do that on purpose? Did you try to kill me? Did I do something to make you that angry with me?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Near The Metal Horse, Away From The Trust-Worthy Hotel

"I was, sort of. I served a baron, who served a count, who served a duchess, and she served the monarch. You don't need to walk; there's nothing in this armour of mine. Just me, and I'm... not as solid as I was." Sir Persyval's armour unbuckles itself, clattering against itself as it comes apart into its components and collapses into... well, it's not an easy to carry pile, but it is far smaller and easier to move than a fully articulated suit of armour. The sword remains a large chunk of sharpened steel, however, so that will probably still prove somewhat tricky.

If Sandals looks, Sir Persyval is still present, his spirit connected to the armour by a silver chord linking him to it. Underneath, he's wearing a padded doublet and thick clothes to provide padding, a chainmail coif and presumably a small metal skullcap underneath, and his legs are soaked in blood from the stab to the femoral artery that killed him on the battlefield.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

From ruins of Trust-Worthy Hotel to The Horse

Lia listens to Sir Persyval's story as they descend; the journey is every bit as harrowing as she expected. Once they get to the earth again she all but collapses, instead digging her toes into the soil and closing her eyes to center herself.

"I think that was enough time in the air for a long while," she says with relief. As the warhorse approaches she smiles. It's nice to see the beast again.

Her expression turns to dubious surprise as Sir Persyval dissembles himself, especially since she can't see his spirit. "Are you...okay?" she asks. She kneels, starting to collect the pieces and load them onto the horse. The sword she saves for last; hopefully Sandels can deal with that particular item.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Groundtown - Metal Horse]

Sandels raises an eyebrow, then nods approvingly when Sir Persyval disassembles himself. "Ah, that's convenient. I wasn't sure you could do that", he says to the ghost. To Lia, it looks like he's talking to thin air. He picks up the sword and packs it on the horse. If Lia and Persyval are observant, they might note a second ago there was no place to hang it to, but now there is - the saddle and the barding moved to make room for it.

"He's fine, just a little insubstantial", Sandels answers to Lia as he gets on the saddle, "he's still bound to these earthly remains. He'll be as good as new once I put him back together."

Sandels waits for Lia to get on the horse, or she can walk, if she wants to. Then, the long journey back begins. As they go, Sandels begins singing:

"It's all the same where you'll go cavalryman / It's all the same where your road will meet its end / Even finest flowers wither, autumn brings the smell of death / Once night will lay your weary head to rest."

"Even joy of wine is just a fickle dream / The merriest song but a chime in the wind / Vanity of all as your banner you will own / before in the river of Lethe you will drown."

"Once roses of love bloomed for you / Once prettiest lips to you swore they'd be true / Even sincere vows keep like a snowflake on your palm / A fading kiss not enough to keep you warm."

"It's all the same when you'll die cavalryman / It's all the same when your life will meets its end / For blackest roses always bloom on forlorn fields of Hell / It's all the same because you'll die cavalryman."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: May 05, 2023 4:25 am [Raindrop Apartment]

"If you're concerned they might be damaged, then I'd err on the side of caution." Utayo agrees.

Then the moonfolk kneels, sitting on her feet, with the added detail that her knees don't actually touch the ground. She produces a thin rod, which she stretches open into some sort of digital display. She positions her finger over it, and looks up to Ambrosia. "Yes, let's begin. Perhaps a sidelong view will provide a good foundation." She suggests.
[Raindrop Apartment]

The dragon, which is now notably larger, positions herself to give the moonfolk a sidelong view and spreads her wings as far as possible. "Like this?" A beat. "Do I look like the dragons of your world?" She inquires, holding her head high.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Raindrop Apartment]

"Yes, that's quite good." Utayo says and immediately sets to sketching. "You're similar in some ways. Your long profile mainly, though they would be longer proportionally. They also lack any sort of wings." She explains. "Mind you I've only seen them from a distance. They're quite aloof, and certainly would not pose for sketches."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Raindrop Apartment]

"Perhaps they're wiser than me then. It is said that other beings rarely approach us willingly with the best of intentions. If you're brave or confident enough to approach a dragon you usually have more ambition than sense." Her inclines in Utayo's direction. "Don't suppose that description applies to you too? You certainly seem ambitious at least."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Raindrop Apartment]

Utayo arches a brow at Ambrosia, then refocuses on her work. Without looking up she replies, "I like to think I have both sense and ambition. Unless you're suggesting I should be keeping my distance? I'm not sure that's founded, though."
~Images by Soushiyo