Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"I don't see any reason not to believe her." Rose interjects, running her hand along one of the lab tables as she saunters up to Dorota (who might realize it's the same one, and from the same side, as where she found the radio). "She didn't give me any trouble on the way up. And she knows that doing this any way other than exactly right is going to have adverse effects on her coworkers. And, of course, it's far too soon for her to be anticipating a rescue. Stalling for a few more hours, especially if it's obvious she's stalling, would be a fatally stupid move." She smirks and runs a hand under Dorota's chin. "She's many things, I'm sure, but she's not that stupid. Or that duplicitous, for that matter. I can't picture her doing anything under the table." She flashes Dorota a little wink, her back still to Raven so the gesture can't be properly seen from where she stands.

"...In summary, nah." Rose shrugs, stepping back and giving Raven a little side-hug. "If she says it's a long and delicate process, it probably is. This is why you get an expert, yeah? This and the villain cred that comes with taking hostages."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Raven is about to... absolutely accept Dorota's answer when Rose jumps in, going exceptionally hard in her defense. She eyes Rose with a frown for a time. "Well I can picture it."

Her gaze returns to Dorota and gives the alchemist a confident, almost too sweet smile. "No matter. If you were to try anything, I will find out and that will be... unpleasant for everyone." Her eyes turn back to linger on Rose for a moment, before turning to head back out of the room. "Carry on then, as you were."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota nods, stiffly, suppressing a sigh of relief.

"Yes," she simply says, not having a reason or desire to be more verbose.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"...Well. Glad we all understand each other, then." Rose smiles, seemingly oblivious to the looks she's getting from Raven. The two of them can have a conversation later about their respective intentions; if Raven's ever looked suspicious of Rose, her motives, and her actions, that was it. Clearly, she'll need to have a frank talk with her about what's going on once they're away from Dorota. Or at least she needs to make it seem frank. It needs to be enough to head off any suspicion of actual betrayal.

"Well. We should let her get back to work, then, yeah?" Rose begins, before noticing that Raven's already made her way to the door. With an awkward little start, she bolts after her, making a less-than-dignified exit.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Raven steps out with a bit more grace than Rose, but then Raven does have the fancy dress and umbrella and sometimes throne, so it's only natural her poise is greater.

Dorota is left to her devices once more. Brian stares at her and the lack of groan on his behalf is the closest thing he can muster to a sympathetic shrug. He tried his best.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota focuses back on the tube with the love potion. All she can do is what she always does and hope for the best...

[Approaching Groundtown]

In whatever vehicle they're using to get there, the goblins are going over their plan.

"We should stick together down there. And not advertise we're from MERC. But if we say we want to kill the thing, I hope people will be forthcoming with info. Then again they might wonder why."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Approaching Groundtown

"That sounds shiny to me. We're going in." Sian will lower the helicopter to the nearest landing area to where the shadow-stalker-like-beast has been reported to minimise travel distances. They might not have much gear, but Olvisin and the other goblins have short legs. And the goblins may have more gear than I realise.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Approaching Groundtown]

"Let's pretend we're working for an artificer," Luuvat suggests. "This gives us a reason to hunt this creature down without revealing we're from MERC. And maybe people will help us to be rid of it."

"They'll also probably try to fleece us, but some things can't be helped," Kuvesh adds.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arriving

"Sounds good t'me. Oh, and if y' see a wanted poster with the name of Samantha Boroughs, lemme know, OK? It's been a while, but there might still be a few hangin' around." Hopefully the heat's died down, and her new hair colour and relatively new face should serve as a sufficient disguise, it's just in case somebody remembers her old identity.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Groundtown]

"No worries, we've been there and done that," Zaalmin assures Sian as the five of them head out into Groundtown. The goblins will ask around for rumors and sightings of the creature, pretending they're hunting it down for an artificer who wants to use its organs.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Groundtown]

Groundtown represents the slums of skysie. durin the day most of the area here is covered by the island above them so only the outter rings get sunlight over the day. The groupe stands out much here. The people who live here are either not suited as slaves or had a hard time staying alive.

That means most of the people here aren't willing to give out information or at last not just by asking. An Old looking man who already list an arm and a leg seems rather talkative, maybe because he is close to his end?

"You seek to face the night stalker?" he says and laugths like a maniac. "Poor childs. You don't know what you got yourself into. THEY can't be hunted. THEY are allways the hunter."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Groundtown

"If they can't be hunted, how do we make ourselves bait?" It might be useful if they can bait it into prepared ground, set up to ambush it with light and fire and guns. Lots of guns. Sian reaches into a pocket as she speaks, her left hand pulling out a bulky pistol wrapped in tubes connecting green nodules and vials to a yellow barrel. The plasma pistol's a pretty basic example.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Groundtown]

The goblins are accustomed to taking what they can get when it comes to information sources. This guy is willing to talk, so he'll do.

"Yeah, what is this thing after? Just eating people?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Groundtown]

The man looks at them with a blank stare for a moment.

"None yet small one." He says. "Or if they did, they caught someone none cares for, even here."
The man laugths like he made some bad joke, but to be true he just laugths over the sadness he just told them.
"Right now? You would be lying naked outside the 'town'. Maybe with shakels or what not. Should you really want to be eaten by them I suggest you wait until their kids hatch. Those small ones don't have the time to wait for the easy targets."
Last edited by Zefir on Dec 12, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Groundtown

"So there's eggs? And you've seen them? Where?" Hopefully the old guy's not just guessing and making it up. If he can tell them where the eggs are, then perhaps they can find the beast there. And even if not, destroying or capturing the eggs would save lives- and perhaps net a profit.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Groundtown]

"What do you mean by shackles? Are people fed to it? Does it go after slaves?" Zaalmin asks.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Raven returns to check on Dorota's progress in four hours, though she enters with less pomp this time. She doesn't want to have to keep doing dramatic entrances for this alchemical stick in the mud who doesn't understand or appreciate flair and dramatic timing. That's not to say the air of self-importance has dissipated any.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Notably, Rose doesn't return at all. Maybe she's busy elsewhere. Maybe she's convinced Raven's got her hackles up too much for her to be involved here. Or maybe something happened when Dorota wasn't looking and she simply wasn't able to come.

Regardless, there's no ex-ARC agents here to bail her out, if something goes wrong.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

It seems Raven has arrived just in time. Four hours later, a tired-looking Dorota is pouring a thick shimmering substance through a filter. What emerges is a small flask's worth of glowing, rainbow-hued liquid.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Groundtown]

"Seen them? Are you nuts. I would need to find their den and step inside." the man says. "I don't know where their den is I just know them. And what I mean? They pick whatever is the weakest around. What I can say is that they were seen around here, which means their den isn't around here. Never hunt where you live
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Groundtown

"So where haven't they been seen? And for someone who's not seen them, you seem to know a lot about them. That they have eggs, that they're smart enough to not hunt near home, and they are apparently cowardly enough to go only after the easiest targets." It's possible some of the information is wrong or based on conjecture.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Groundtown]

"If it goes after weakest targets, we could use it to set up an ambush," Kuvesh suggests. "It'd be very dangerous to whoever is the bait, though."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Is this it then?" Raven asks, stepping forward to crowd Dorota's space and peer at the potion. "It's more colorful than I imagined. Huh. Well I guess it'll still work, even if it isn't black." Black's really Raven's preferred color.

Raven pulls back, giving Dorota some space and smiling widely at the alchemist. "Are you ready to test it then?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota stiffens. Here it comes. Who will drink this poison she made? Herself? Someone else? But what can she do? Please, can someone come here and help...

"I... I am."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Hopefully it's just a potion and not poison!

Raven happily takes the rainbow hued flask and hands it to a mecha-zombie who lumbers off with it while Raven motions for Dorota and Brian to follow her. Her umbrella spins gaily as they walk to what it is clearly some sort of observation or security room. On the biggest screen is a room containing the two companions that were kidnapped along with Dorota, along with a third person unknown to Dorota. Raven points the tip of her umbrella at that man on the screen. "That's Greg. He came into my office demanding something called 'dental insurance' for my employees," Raven explains. Dental! Benefits! HAH!

The mecha-zombie with the flask arrives within the other room and puts the potion that Dorota made down between the three people before exiting the room and closing the door tight. Now it's just three people staring at each other and one flask with obvious confusion. Raven presses a button on a microphone and all three look up as she speaks and the voice comes through a speaker in their room. "One of you is going to drink that. Decide."

Raven releases the button on the microphone and glances at Dorota with a wry wink.
► SHOW SPOILER
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Groundtown]

"That my boy is easy to ask. I was a slave for those up there, looking up all kinds of crazy stuff they can hunt, like Unicorns, Turtles and humans. You know the stuff they put on their walls for fun. They threw me down here after they said I got mad. But whos mad now?" He laugths maniacly.

Then he turns normal. "None ever saw them in this town, allways at the edge. I haven't heared of any sighting at the other side." (Let's says they are north and he means south) "Thought who tells a mad orld man? Would be crazy."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Groundtown

"Well-volunteered, Kuvesh." Sian smiles at the goblins at the comment, not meaning it- they'll probably have a proper discussion on who gets the job later, Although the goblins might take it seriously, and that'd also be fine.

"So no direct experience with the critter, but extensive knowledge of wildlife and predators. Good to know. Do you know of anybody up there that might be confident enough to bring them here but not clever enough to keep them contained for a hunt of their own?" Last thing they really need is a group of noble 'sportsmen' galloping up to interfere or claim it's their hunt and the Mercenaries are sticking in where they're not wanted.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Is that what you need my potion for? Get your underlings so enamored with you that they won't ask for basic benefits?"

Dorota isn't quite sure where her defiance came from. She just doesn't want to watch what's happening without at least saying something.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Groundtown]

"Rich people doing stupid shit never fails to give us work," Olvisin comments.

"Maybe we can set up a stakeout," Luuvat suggests. "Just monitor the area for some time. Trying to find this creature directly sounds like it'd be difficult."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Raven laughs heartily. "Ohohohohoh!!! How delightfully petty and small-minded! I think you're in the wrong business Dorota! Have you considered an evil internship?" Raven wipes a small tear out of the corner of her eye. "Not a bad guess, but I'm thinking...... BIGGER!" Raven says, voice full of sinister enthusiasm as she dramatically sweeps her arms wide.

Unsurprisingly, within the test room, a fight has broken out. At first there was some disagreement because each of them thought maybe drinking the potion would get them out, but Greg disabused them of that notion. Now they're fighting because no one wants to take the potion. It doesn't take all that long for it to become physical, much to the giggling Empress' amusement. She motions to the screen. "Look at those savages, in need of a strong ruler like me to keep them in line. The masses just lack such... refinement." Raven shakes her head dismissively at the brawl. At least until one of them bumps into the table with the potion on it and the flask wobbles precariously on the edge. Raven's attitude shifts instantly and she slams the microphone button to hiss threateningly at them. "If you break that you're all dead!!"

This gets their attention quickly and all three subjects manage to steady the potion just in time. The two from HALO look at each other and nod, taking advantage of the momentary distraction to break from the free for all and turn it into a 2 against 1. Greg is quickly pinned to ground and moments later, the potion is being forced past his lips and down his throat.
► SHOW SPOILER