Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by Gullara »

quillpleasant wrote: Feb 12, 2024 7:07 am Grave Matters

The nanobots are difficult to grab, since their oiliness makes them slide off the tools easily. It'll take a could attempts, but eventually Utayo is able to separate a minuscule clump in her tweezers.

Strangely enough, there's a clear and dramatic effect as the nanobots are removed. After a few moments of being removed, they cease their movement, becoming entirely inert. They no longer transform into the oil, remaining dormant metal. It seems that a critical mass is needed for them to be able to animate.
[Grave Matters]

Hm, that's a valuable find. Let's push that a little bit. She maneuvers a slightly larger pile of the machines to see if that group can function on its own. Then she'll repeat the process, increasing the quantity each time until she gets the result she's looking for. It might be a slow process, but she's patient.
~Images by Soushiyo

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Thunderhead Rescue

"I can use my wand to hide you, but I'm afraid I can't let them take all those people. We still have yet to prove if there's anything close to happening as what they're talking about."
The large amount of guns make him think no.
"Can you find a safe spot to hide?"

Incognito Golem

"Well, I mean. We're in the air, so there's not really a ton of crypts." Those tend to be underground.
"You can try the sewers. That's where I found those weird zombies. I don't think it would be great if you ate the magic back at our place, but there are enough floating rocks that if you sipped on some of the loose ones it might not be a big deal. And Emily might have found stuff too. She's my roommate."
And also somehow bigger than her.
TeChameleon
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Eddie adjusted his hood and tweaked his dark glasses downwards for the sole purpose of giving Mina a shocked look. "If you were to invite me into your home, I would never draw mana from anything that was not explicitly offered for that purpose. It takes physical contact and an extended period of time for me to do it anyways, so it's not like I just run around doing it will-ye-nil-ye." He actually sounded a bit upset, maybe even a little offended.

"And I had noticed that we were in the air, yes." he added, a bit of dry humour creeping into his voice. "But you said that you had done some delving, so I had hoped that you knew of some that might be worth me taking a look at. Are there any active bounties on the things in the sewers, that you're aware of, or do you know where I should look to find out?"

A brief hesitation. "Sorry for so many questions; I just don't know my way around here all that well yet, and I don't want to inadvertently wipe out someone's private zoo or some such." His tone suggested that he might be speaking from experience, or at least from having seen it happen.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Grave Matters

Through trial and error, Utayo is able to figure out some more information. It seems that the smallest amount of nanobots that isn't completely inert is about an ounce, although the movement is still sluggish enough that it takes a couple moments to notice. Any additional amount slowly increases the speed and activity of the bots, up to the visibly undulating pile on the table.

Thunderhead Rescue

Lia nods readily. "Thou art absolutely right, sir G'nichi. We cannot allow these blackguards to terrorize the innocent." She looks around, then points at a walled bus stop. "I can hide there, they won't see me from their position. But oh, do be careful- and take this!"

Cupping her hands together, she exhales a cloud of glittering pink spores over them, right towards G'nichi's face. Should he breathe them in, he'll find them to be enhancement spores, giving a significant boost to adrenaline, pain resistance, and energy.

After bestowing this boost, Lia ducks out of sight behind the bus stop, and it's all up to G'nichi.
horses can attack and eat me
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

"Hmm. I admit I mostly just help people, not focusing on places to raid. But look for disappearances and that should lead you to the right place."
She crosses her arms.
"Those things were eating people. If someone gets mad at you for pummeling them into dust, screw 'em."

Thunderhead Rescue

Wow! That's really worrying! Good thing G'nichi is already surrounded by the most worrying allies possible.
Still, G'nichi has the ability to cheat, so of course he does.
Totally Real Definitely Not Another Solid Illusion G'nichi goes straight up to the lead scientist.
"Hello, sir. Can I ask under what authority you are detaining these people?" he asks in a straightforward manner.
Meanwhile a mysterious green-scaled hero who no one has seen before sneaks around the trucks to get closer to the detained folks.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

"... I'm not sure I'd call it 'raiding'..." Eddie said after a moment. "At least, I try to avoid doing things that could be called that except maybe in the context of 'raiding the bandit camp' or 'illegal laboratory', that kind of deal. Would you be willing to join me in a sewer expedition, if you are able and have the free time? I can handle most physical threats, but that doesn't help much with getting lost, and it would honestly be nice to have someone to talk to."
Last edited by TeChameleon on Feb 21, 2024 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

”…I don’t suppose I could convince you to come to the surface with me and try something…drier? Put simply, martial arts are hard when you’re half submerged, and sewer water takes days to clean out of my coat.”
She is going to assume the comment about not getting lost is not a Minotaur joke. She doesn’t think he’s that kind of person.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

"Oh, sure!" Eddie said. "Only reason I was thinking the sewers was because you mentioned it as being close. I don't mind going wherever- like I said, I'm pretty new here, and I'm still exploring to figure out where everything is." He flashed her a quick, rare smile.

There hadn't been any malice in Eddie's comment about getting lost- if someone had pointed out the possibility of a minotaur joke in there, he'd actually be quite surprised and a bit annoyed, both with himself for yet another blunder, and with the world at large for making a completely innocent statement into something weird and vaguely racist.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

"...if you promise to be good guest you can stop by my place for a while. It sounds like you don't have anywhere to stay and if you don't really have regular needs I'd be pretty callous not to offer."
I mean, he's some sort of construct who eats magic? She doesn't have a ton of that she can spare but everything else makes it sound like he doesn't have much to deal with as a host.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Eddie stood and bowed formally.

"Upon my honour as Dag Wenick Filias Edmond Lapis and that of my family, I do swear to uphold the principals of hospitality."

He straightened, then paused. "Er, sorry. Some habits die very hard, even after seven hundred years. Yes, I'll be a good guest if I am invited. You don't need to worry too much about 'feeding' me- I have a small stash of random magic whatsits that should keep me fed for a week or so; beyond that, I'm hoping that I'll have found some work to gain more. Thank you for the offer."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

quillpleasant wrote: Feb 16, 2024 7:09 am Grave Matters

Through trial and error, Utayo is able to figure out some more information. It seems that the smallest amount of nanobots that isn't completely inert is about an ounce, although the movement is still sluggish enough that it takes a couple moments to notice. Any additional amount slowly increases the speed and activity of the bots, up to the visibly undulating pile on the table.
[Grave Matters]

It seems physical disruption would need to be substantial, but it's certainly a viable approach. She has at least one more thought though. Taking one of the piles within the active threshold, she positions two fingers of her prosthetic hand on either side of it. Then without any visual trigger, electricity arcs between her fingers, intending to pass through the nanobots. Time to see if that electronic signal can be disrupted.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

"Well, sure. Um. Did you want to see it now?" Mina looks down at the stuff Eddie has. It doesn't seem like he has anything keeping him here. But she could finish that tea she ordered...
"I don't know if you appreciate cushy stuff. But it's a very nice place, I promise."
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Eddie stifled something that sounded suspiciously like a chuckle.

"I am sure it is very nice. But I am a... wait." he hesitated, and his body language closed a little. "All you know of me is that I am a magic-eater and am quite old. And short. Oh, and I suppose you know my name. Still..."

"I am a golem; a being made of animate stone, powered by spells. I hope that will not be a problem?" he sounded even smaller for a moment.
Last edited by TeChameleon on Feb 21, 2024 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead Rescue

The illusion seems to fool the people quite handily, at least for the time being. Looking up from the machine, the doctor smiles personably.

"Hello there. We're not detaining anyone, we're merely screening for infection. Thanks to terrorist activity, a deadly virus was released from our laboratory, and I'm personally making sure that anyone infected by it gets immediate medical treatment." He gestures to the machine. "If you'll just breath into this box, then we can confirm your safety."

The guards watch, impassive behind their masks.

But that also means they're not watching the truck. The real G'nichi is able to get alongside it- although talking to the people inside would be very hard to do stealthily since there's a guard standing just feet away. But he can see inside the truck, enough to see that it contains an array of medical supplies, and there's currently no driver.

Grave Matters

The zap of electricity has a sudden and dramatic effect. The nanobots immediate enter a frenzy of activity, twitching and writhing at a far greater speed than before. The movements are powerful and erratic, almost reminiscent of a living being getting a sudden shot of adrenaline. It's a definite increase in energy, but a decrease in cohesion and stability.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Grave Matters

Utayo might have heard that her shower has been turned off some time ago.
Or she might not considering her ability to focus.

Either way, she has put on the robe she wore underneath her armor and has started to make her to the planeswalker. Likely able to see whatever Utayo would do next.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

Hm, curious. Perhaps a greater charge would yield different results, but she'd need more specialized equipment to test that theory.

Without looking up, Utayo remarks as Ambrosia enters. "Given time I can gather more observations, but I suspect you're hoping for some urgent answers?" She observes; it's barely a question.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Incognito Golem

Mina shakes her head.
"Sai was 'briefly' incarnated in mortal form during a time displacement event. He built my house for me, and everything in it. Since he's been returned to his original vessel he can control all of the statues in the place. So really, you're not entirely different from him when he wants to actually get hands out."
Though being fair, Sai is quite comfortable as a weapon and does encourage Mina to be self-sufficient. So he doesn't simply use the statues to wait on her.

Thunderhead Rescue

G'nichi's illusory doubles are extremely convincing- if they're of him. He's not good enough at role-playing for them to accurately replicate what anyone else would do.
"Well that's odd. Because your compatriot told me that what escaped from your lab was a number of eight-legged creatures that were carrying a biohazard, not a direct virus. I also can't help but notice that despite the alleged virus, you're the only one here not wearing a mask. I don't suppose you'd be willing to give me some information on this virus so I could consult a few experts I happen to know?"
Meanwhile, real G'nichi tries to get a good look at the truck to see if the containers seem legitimate or just something to fool passer-by.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

"Oh? It would be... oddly comforting... to not be the only animate stone around, for a change." Eddie said thoughtfully. "Thank you for your kind offer, and I would be happy to accept your hospitality. I do not need much; a quiet corner for my dormant periods and a dry place for my few possessions, and I am perfectly happy."

He paused. "Oh- I require a dormant period of about an hour every twenty-four hours- Pater Edmond believed it had to do with the indexing of memories. Otherwise I am available for whatever I am needed for, whenever it happens to be. I would be quite pleased to visit your home, once you are ready to travel; you do not seem to have finished your tea, yet, and having spent much of the early part of my time out in the world in the United Kingdoms, I know better than to interrupt one's tea."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead Rescue

G'nichi's argumentative attitude turns a few heads, and the doctor narrows his eyes at him. "Our compatriot... eight legged...? Oh, I see. You're the one that Burke radio'd about. Well, I'm sorry to say that it's much worse than just a simple virus. It's very dangerous, and very classified, so no, you'll not be getting any further information."

Raising a hand, he beckons, and two of the guards step over, flicking the safety off their guns. "Please step forward and breathe into the machine so we can confirm your status. If you refuse, we'll have to treat you as infect, and you'll be coming with us." The look of satisfaction in his eyes makes it clear that this is a man who greatly enjoys exerting his authority over others.

Of course, while this is happening the real G'nichi is examining the truck. It sure looks like that's real medical supplies inside. In fact, it looks pretty advanced as well- but it's not just medical supplies. There's also tranq darts, chloroform, bleach, lye, and other heavy chemicals; as well as a small armory of extra guns. This truck is very well equipped to either kidnap people, or make them disappear entirely.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Feb 19, 2024 1:50 am [Grave Matters]

Hm, curious. Perhaps a greater charge would yield different results, but she'd need more specialized equipment to test that theory.

Without looking up, Utayo remarks as Ambrosia enters. "Given time I can gather more observations, but I suspect you're hoping for some urgent answers?" She observes; it's barely a question.
[Grave Matters]

Walking into the room Ambrosia immediately spots Utayo bent over the mass of tiny machines with that look in her eyes. That impassioned gaze which- wait, she had just asked her something.
It takes a moment for her to register it. "...erm."

She hadn't wanted to stroll in without her armor as it made her feel even more naked and vulnerable and before Utayo on top of it all. Yet the need to get back her orb had compelled her to. There was no choice but to focus. Closing her eyes she saw the orb before her inner vision and that was all the motivation she needed to remember her question.

"Yes, I had wanted to ask about the possibility to possibly knocking it out by manipulating the electronic fields near it. Similar to how thunder and lighting can knock out other electronics."
Phew!
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

Utayo finally straightens and turns to Ambrosia, though she angles herself so she can keep an eye on the machines. "It's possible, but I've been unable to observe it so far. An electrical shock seems to super charge them, but a stronger current might disrupt them. It would be a risk to test that theory in a compromising situation." She warns. "I expect one of the best methods of disrupting this network would be explosive force. When separated into small enough groupings, they become inert."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Grave Matters]

Well, that at least gave her something else to think about than the situation she was in.
She sits down at a nearby chair.

"What about a thunderclap, as in a loud enough noise? Or my breath weapon, which should be hot enough to melt through the metal of these things." She gestures to the heap of metal creatures on the table.
Lighting was after all hot.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thunderhead Rescue

"Of course, sir. I would be happy to cooperate with your not at all suspicious machine." G'nichi says, stepping forward towards the machine. Though he positions himself at a very specific angle- namely, the goon on the left and the scientist are on opposite sides of him. And of course, while the illusion is just solid enough to move air into the machine, that's all it is. Just ambient air being pushed slightly by nonexistent lungs.

Incognito Golem

Mina smiles, sipping her tea.
"You must think me odd, inviting strangers into my home." she says quietly, looking down at the tea in her cup.
"Honestly, it gets lonely in there. The place is huge and it's just me, Sai, and Emily, my friend who cooks for me."
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Eddie took off his dark glasses entirely and gave Mina a friendly look.

"Honestly, I do not think it odd. Although I suppose that is partially because I have long since given up on organics behaving in a fashion I find comprehensible, so I reserve 'odd' for friends who are acting in a fashion outside what I understand as their norm." Eddie shook his head.

"Er, sorry. Having multiple centuries of linguistic drift in my head means that I can occasionally slide into some strange speech patterns. And loneliness is something I can understand and respect- even with only fifty years out in the world, organic friends come and go, or change in ways I don't understand. I would be happy to call you friend, at least until such a time as you no longer want it." he finished, an unreadable expression on his small stone face.
Last edited by TeChameleon on Feb 21, 2024 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Grave Matters]

"Sound waves would have to be powerful in order to cause the kinetic disruption necessary. I wouldn't expect sound waves to have any other impact, except to overwhelm audio receptors." Utayo turns back to the workbench. She has some doubts about the viability of her next test, but she might as well. "As for heat." She puts her finger tip near a small mass of machines, and after a quick reconfiguration she applies the flame from a small torch in her finger to them. It's certainly not the heat of Ambrosia's breath weapon, but it's a simple test.
~Images by Soushiyo
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead Rescue

As the illusion breaths into the machine, it makes a small beeping sound, and some readings pop up on a screen on the side of it. The doctor leans forward, studying it. After a moment he straightens up, his face sympathetic but firm.

"I have good and bad news. The bad news is that you seem to be infected. The good news it, it's early enough that we should be able to cure you with no ill effects. You'll need to come with us back to the tower, but you should be good to leave in just a couple hours once we give you the antivirus. My apologies for the inconvenience."

He gestures at the truck where the four other citizens that have been singled out are sitting. The guard on the other side of the illusion subtly but intentionally adjusts his grip on his rifle, as if to remind G'nichi that refusing to comply will have repercussions.

Of course, the fact that nothing was said about plain air being blown in the machine should make it obvious that this whole thing is a sham- they're not testing people, they're choosing people based on other criteria. And likely for other motives.

Grave Matters

The nanobots barely react to the flame, continuing to subtly shift and writhe. They're clearly resistance to heat, although being immune to a handheld torch is a far cry from being fully immune. A hotter application would be needed to confirm one way or the other.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Grave Matters]

The scholar rubs her chin finding her wishing she could have performed tests like Utayo did regarding how metals and other man-made objects reacted to various elements. It would have made her understand herself better. Yet ironically, she had focused more on understanding other dragons.

Then something occurs to her. "What about the smoke? I heard that can cause electrical failures." From another dragon of course.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thunderhead Rescue

"Well, that's awfully funny, because I don't actually have lungs."
He smiles wide. The real G'nichi draws his sword, very quietly tapping it on the side of the truck to get the civilians' attention while the guards are watching the double, gesturing at them to get up.

Double-G'nichi simply shrugs his wings and picks up the box, throwing it directly at one of the goons. He's just barely solid enough to do so, though it won't be thrown incredibly hard.
It would be unfortunate if they opened fire though, as the illusory G'nichi would pop as the first bullet hit him and result in a very unfortunate cross-fire that would not be great for the scientist standing behind him.

Incognito Golem

"Well, it's good to know someone can keep Sai company when I'm gone. I have a lot of life left, but my last incarnation apparently died before she was thirteen so I have to plan for these things."
That's just a thing that happened.
Definitely not bitter about hearing about how her past self was sent out to die.
Nope, not bitter.
TeChameleon

Post by TeChameleon »

[Incognito Golem]

Eddie blinked. "You know, you're the second person I've met in the space of about six hours that just casually mentioned a prior incarnation. Is that just... something that happens around here? I'm fairly certain it wasn't a thing back in my original dimension. At least, if it was, it didn't come up in conversation when I was around."

"And I'm fairly certain that twelve years old is very young for an organic being to die, isn't it? I mean, normally? I confess I haven't known many minotaurs, but the handful I have met were definitely older than that. If it's not too sensitive a topic, may I ask what happened?" he added.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead Rescue

The civilians in the truck look over to see the real G'nichi. There's a young gnome woman in a shawl, a brawny orc man in workman's clothes, and a wiry old human with an eyepatch. Realizing his plan, the latter raises a finger to his lips to silence the others. However, there's a problem- there's still a guard standing just a couple feet away. He's currently focused on the illusion, but moving so close past him is risky.

The civilians look to G'nichi- should they try sneaking past, or perhaps attempt to knock him out?

The illusion, meanwhile, causes havoc. The box sends the goon staggering, before crashing to the street, sending bits of plastic and screws bouncing. The guards do not immediately open fire- they're too well trained for that. But he's immediately surrounded by weapons as they shout an converge on him, machine guns leveled. In moments, he's surrounded. The other civilians in the area yell in panic, some cowering and others taking the opportunity to flee.

"That was a bad idea," says the doctor icily, stepping back out of the danger zone, "Down on the ground, hands on your head. Now!" He still hasn't realized the illusionary nature of who he's speaking to. Maybe some people just don't have lungs.