Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by Ironsmith »

[Extraction : CB]

Like what? Think nasty thoughts at her? Klaus is completely helpless in Ambrosia's mouth.

-

Meanwhile, on the ground:

"...Well. Shit."

"Nice play with the rocket, Gerald."

"What? How was I supposed to know she'd Neo that?"

"...Man's got a point."

"So what do we do now?"

"Excuse me, gents? I think I can help with that."

"...Weren't you in cuffs a minute ago?"

"..."

"Right. Dumb question."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Right, so refusal to do her bidding will see others suffer first. Dorota should have expected that. Not that she's brave enough to risk her own life, but condemning others is even less likely.

"You've made your point. I'll do my best."

What does she need a love potion for? Most likely to mass-produce it and turn people into infatuated slaves. How does she get out of it without dying or helping with such an atrocity...
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Somehow, I knew she'd see it your way." Rose giggles and shuffles up next to Raven, within hip-holding distance, punctuating the movement with a little peck on the cheek. "Classic move. Motivate the hostage with another hostage. I don't think anybody's ever not fallen for it." She grins. "No less brilliant for it, though. And pulling out the Voice..." She walks her fingers up Raven's arm. "...Well, we'll go into how I feel about that later."

A sidelong glance back at Dorota might help clarify that Rose partially means this as a comfort to her; she's not the first person to be caught in a hostage situation, and it's not easy for anyone, so she shouldn't feel bad for her part in it. But of course, she can't just come out and say it in front of Raven...

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"No, you'll do the job," Raven corrects Dorota. Best doesn't cut it in Raven's world, only results! Still, it's a little disappointing how much Dorota just... gives in without really squirming or protesting. "Any materials you need will be procured by Acquis, the Volus that was just in here. Make sure the love potion lasts forever, whomever drinking it falling irrevocably in love with the first person they see. Better get started. If people show up to rescue you prematurely and mess up my bovine showdown, I'll have to pull the plug on... everything." Everything mostly meaning everyone who is still alive.

Sounds like Dorota could make potions that aren't as permanent as they first seem, so long as they last long enough to pass whatever tests Raven might put them through. Plus, rescue will likely happen! Presumably. She's mentioned it once or twice now, as if already planning on it happening.

Rose is attempting to distract Raven! It kind of works, the catgirl's eyes wandering over. "Well, I can't take all the credit. It was your idea to get extra hostages to begin with." Raven hadn't even considered the idea until Rose mentioned witnesses she had to dispose of. What a fortuitous outcome! Rose truly is an exceptional evil minion. Empress Ebondark accepts Rose's hips and wraps her hand around it. "I think we're about done here. We can go talk about your feelings if you want."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota is definitely more of a sullen, withdrawn captive. Her brain is working at high speed, trying to figure out how to get out of this. And oh boy, Raven and Rose are lovers. Well, Dorota can't quite blame Raven, Rose is pretty attractive. She can blame Rose's taste. Unless this is another deception.

"I'll need to see my lab, then," she says, subdued and resigned. Though really being away from those two when they start being affectionate is going to be worth it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"What, that? Nah, that was serendipity." Rose giggles, running her hand against Raven's shoulder. "One might even call it a mistake, on my part. Sloppy technique, got more people involved than I intended." She grins and pecks Raven again. "So yes, you're absolutely getting all the credit for that one. You're the one who made it an opportunity."

Another "coded" message for Dorota. Though she has the benefit of prior knowledge there; Rose released the hostages before Raven told her of the plan to bring them in. If the empress had said nothing, they wouldn't be here now. Rose was effectively ordered to bring them, and therefore she, personally, places the blame for these peoples' lack of safety squarely on Raven's shoulders... and not Dorota's or her own.

"Aqcuis will get you hooked up with a lab." Rose adds, addressing Dorota more directly. Technically, Raven's the one giving orders, but that seems like such a trivial thing, the sort of thing an empress really can't be bothered with. She then turns back to Raven and smirks. "And you... yeah, let's go talk about our feelings for a while, hm?"

Anybody who's worked with Rose and Raven for more than a few days knows about the former's euphemistic use of the phrase, of course. Even if they didn't catch on from the incongruency between "talk about feelings" and "Raven Ebondark, Empress-to-be of the Nexus, nyahahahaha~", the correlation of its use and rhythmic thumping within the hour would give up the game sooner or later.

And if Dorota can catch onto that, too, then she should know that Rose will at least be attempting to keep Raven distracted for the next hour or so.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Nov 18, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"What? No, that's fantastic technique! Collateral damage is to be desired dear. It's one of the biggest perks of being bad." Raven won't have Rose degrade herself with the false morality of the masses! There was no mistake here.

Raven does have to pout at both Rose and Dorota though, glancing between them. Did she catch on to their coded messages?! Turns out it's nothing like that. "I know you're both naturally enraptured and awed by my presence, but..." Raven waves her hand around, motioning to the lab they were standing in that was described earlier. "You're already here. I- I know it might not be the lab you're used to at HALO, but it should suffice," Raven says, sounding suddenly insecure about the quality of her lab compared to others. She didn't want to spend too much investing into the lab, considering it's probably going to get trashed by a cow later, but maybe she should have gone all out? It's not like money's an issue. Ugh. Nekromancy was so much easier to understand and handle.

"Whatever. Yes, Acquis will get anything else you might need. Don't try anything stupid or Brian will know."
"Braaaiiiiins?" The labcoat assistant mechazombie steps in far too close to Dorota's personal zone, watching her and waiting for her guidance and instruction.

Finally Raven squeezes Rose's hip, content they've covered all their bases here. "I suppose you need a reward as well, huh? For a job well done. And then some. I'll provide you and then some in return~" Raven's hand slips a little further south and back, using the grope to guide Rose out of the area to a more private setting.

In her absence, two non-Brian mecha-zombies take her place, one at each door leading out of the lab. They're much less intrusive than Brian is. And Dorota has about ten minutes to herself before Acquis, the begrudging Volus, will come back to check on her.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

The lab really isn't much to look at. Maybe Dorota was hoping this wasn't all there is to it. Not only is she working on a love potion for a megalomaniacal madwoman, she has to do it with substandard equipment. But she's not going to say it to Raven's face.

Once her two captors are gone, Dorota spends some time hugging herself and shivering, the reality of her situation hitting her again. Hopefully the mecha-zombies aren't impatient.

"Let me... let me take a look around," she tells Brian. She then tries to take stock of what she has to work with. Both in terms of alchemy and possible escape. Not that she has much hope of the latter; being rescued is probably her only real option.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Now, Raven, honey, you know how I feel about precision~♡" Rose giggles as she's led away, showing absolutely no objections to Raven's advances. On the contrary, she has her hand placed over the Empress's encouragingly, and still has it there as she rounds the corner and goes off to do evil minion things with her.

Whatever else Dorota finds in the lab, she's going to find a curious little device taped to the underside of one of the lab tables; a small circuit board with a single push-button, a nine-volt battery and power switch, and an extendable metal rod attached to it, the whole thing small enough to fit neatly into Dorota's palm. There's a note folded over and attached to the back, as well.
1-1 : Disregard the last message
1-2 : Meeting required (follow with timing count in five-minute intervals)
2-1 : Distraction required (follow with timing count in five-minute intervals)
2-2 : Urgent assistance required

Memorize codes and destroy this note.

You are not alone. Help is only a call away.

Δ28

If Dorota is familiar with electronics, or has read a spy thriller ever, she might be able to recognize what she's been given.

It's a simple radio transmitter. It doesn't have enough power to send a signal much further than the building, and it lacks a microphone, so she couldn't use it to send complex messages, but she could still send a signal to someone with a corresponding receiver. Properly speaking, it doesn't even fit the standard AM/FM classification; it has two states, on and off, sending a steady signal or not. Whoever is on the other end would be limited to receiving intervals of beeps, and maybe with the right equipment, triangulating the transmitter's rough position, but that's it. It's also very crude technology, maybe a step up from a flashlight in the window; its creator was probably banking on it being too small and simple to be noticed among all the other radio noise that doubtlessly flows through the building, and Dorota could plausibly have built it herself with carelessly-placed zombie parts if she's discovered with it. Alternatively, as neatly put-together as it is, she plausibly still could build it, or something similar, with spare parts if she felt the need, using the radio in her hand as a basic how-to guide.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

In all honestly, the mecha-zombies are perhaps too patient largely standing around doing nothing. Well doing nothing but watching Dorota with their one dead eye, one mechanical one. Being unsettled is quite reasonable.

Brian groans when she asks to look around. That probably means yes. But even if it meant no, he doesn't move to stop her, reacting very little.

Dorota might not have top end materials, but she's a step above a beginner's set, probably passing for apprentice or mercantile work. Whether she has enough for a love potion depends on what she's capable of mostly and she can always get more when Acquis comes back to check on her soon. Dorota honestly could cook up something alchemical to escape with relative ease, though not without danger, something that's probably unavoidable in such situations. The real problem mostly lies in the two hostages she's been separated from. She's unlikely to be able to both escape and rescue them in one go and leaving would certainly doom them. But maybe she can come up with a clever plan.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Did Rose leave this device behind? The idea that she really might want Dorota to safely escape from this has difficulty taking root in Dorota's mind. The alchemist isn't someone who lets go of her initial preconceptions easily and she has been soured on Rose. She pockets the note to memorize and destroy it later, regardless. No reason to dismiss this opportunity out of hand.

Taking stock of the rest of the lab, an idea occurs to her to stall, using the less than stellar state of it as an excuse for why the love potion is taking a long time to produce. But how long could she keep this up? Raven is impatient and erratic. For now, Dorota starts preparing some simple extracts of rust-inducing. If rescue comes or an opportunity comes up, they might help slow the mecha-zombies down. She has another idea, borne out of the research she'd been doing before the kidnapping. But that will take time. The rust extracts are simple enough she can make them and pass it off as testing the equipment, hopefully.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

When Dorota begins, Brian steps over, expecting her to teach him how to create a love potion. Complete with instructions about what she's doing and why. Presumably. He really just awkwardly holds a pen smooshed against a notebook, the cap still on. But he does groan and listen to what she has to say. While he's pretty patient and passive, Raven might not be if she finds out Dorota has not been teaching him the one thing she told Dorota to do.

Meanwhile Acquis returns, the Volus pushing his way past the mecha zombie that doesn't move even when told, grumbling through his air filter. The short creature waddles over to Dorota. "Ksssh... is everything... satisfactory? Do you need additional... Ksssh... ingredients or equipment?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota manages to make one small vial of rust extract before she feels making more would be suspicious. This zombie... can it even learn anything she teaches it?

"It seems good enough for a start. I won't fully know if it's sufficient for a love potion before I start. I'll let you know as soon as there's something missing." She looks up at Brian. "I'm about to start listing all the ingredients I need for the potion. Write it down."

The more professional she appears about it, the less suspicions anyone will have...
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

The Volus hesitates for a moment, confused. "You... ksssh... haven't started yet?" He could have swore she was brewing something up when he walked in.

Perhaps he comes to some conclusions of his own, because he continues. "Nevermind. Ksshh... look, take it from experience. The best way to avoid becoming one of those," Acquis lightly motions to the mecha-zombies with disdain. "Is to be indispensable. Don't rock the boat. Anyways, I'll be back in twenty minutes, tell me what you need then."

Brian dutifully writes this all down! And then everything Dorota says too. Well, if pressing the pen against the paper and making slight scratchy impressions on it counts as writing anything down. Seems rather ineffective to anyone looking to actually read Brian's notes.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota allows herself a small sigh of relief. That was close. It seems that Acquis is at least somewhat sympathetic to her position and here under duress as well. Worth keeping in mind. For now, she best follow his advice and play along.

"Alright, so first we need to create the potion base. It's what we call the basic substance that we'll further alter into the love potion." She looks up at Brian. "You should remove the cap from the pen before writing."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Brian groans in scientific terms. "Baaaaaaase."

But since Dorota insists on the pen thing, Brian stops writing to remove the cap, accidentally crushing the cap in the process before it bounces useless to the floor and the mecha-zombie continues writing. Honestly his writing isn't much better than before, but at least words can kinda be seen in that horrible mess he calls notes? It'd be a headache in and of itself to try and decipher though. It's quite probable the notebook is just for show. Raven seems to have a thing for being showy and over the top.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Oh boy. Is this unfortunate creature even absorbing anything she says? Nothing to be done about it except obey her instructions and hope for the best. She makes notes about which ingredients she's missing as she does it. There's one more thing she needs for the potion base; a sufficiently strong purifying agent.

"Did you understand all this? Once we have the missing ingredient, we'll walk you through creating it."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Brian unsurprisingly groans. "Baaaaaaaaassssseeee..."

That might mean he's hungry, or maybe thirsty? It's really hard to say. He does, at least, nod. Never before has a mecha-zombie sounded more confident!

Acquis returns when he stated he would to check up on Dorota, waddling into the room with all his usual mediocre aplomb.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"I'm going to need a stronger purifying agent before I can create the base for the potion," Dorota says when Acquis returns. "I... hope Brian is learning. I've never had to teach a zombie before."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Ksssh... is that all? Good." Acquis thought it'd be a hundred different things. One thing is so much more manageable. "I can get that to you in, kssh, ten minutes or so." That's pretty fast. Well he is called Acquis and kept alive for a reason.

The volus looks at the mecha-zombie. "Yeah, don't underestimate their ability to perform, ksssh, complex actions. It's the computer in them, I think. Kssh... does all the thinking for them." He shrugs. Sounds like a science thing he doesn't get. He's a man of business and logistics, not mad science!
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Ten minutes should be just enough for me to do an inventory of what I need for the potion proper. The base is the first step. " She doesn't go into detail, since Acquis most likely doesn't care. "And that's... good, I suppose. I worried I was being set up for an impossible task."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

"Kssh... Our Great Evil Empress doesn't overask the impossible. At least of us peasants. You'd have to ask Rose how many impossible jobs she gets a day." The Volus tiredly shakes his head. "Very well. I'll be back."

Once again he leaves, giving Dorota some time alone. Unsurprisingly, he's back 11 minutes later with the purifying agent she requested.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota will spend this time taking inventory of what she needs and what she's missing. She makes sure to avoid using substitutes or shortcuts even if she could. Any way in which she can delay the process without outright obstructing it is valuable.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

This will likely continue until the process is completed then. Acquis seems supernaturally adept at getting raw materials for Dorota, as if he could print them out or something. Or perhaps he merely predicted some of the requests ahead of time upon learning an alchemist would have to be kidnapped.

Unless Dorota drags things out quite a bit or the love potion naturally takes a long time to complete, Raven will return after the alchemist has finished, looking refreshed and tired in that one way only extensive exercise and a shower can accomplish, but still all too eager to get her hands on the final product.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Predictably, she doesn't come back alone. Rose is only a few steps behind Raven, looking similarly refreshed, although maybe not quite as together as Raven. She's not wearing the pseudo-military hat she's normally seen with, instead choosing to carry it in her hand. Her hair is still wet and a bit matted, carrying a strong vanilla fragrance with it; apparently, she used too much shampoo. All the same, she's all giggles and smiles when the time comes to check on their captive.

"...kay, okay, one more, and I swear it's the last one." Rose clears her throat and puts her hands on her hips and puts on an affected deep voice. "'I don't like elevators. I take steps to avoid them.'" She rumbles. "'Though the stairs are not much better. They're always up to something.'" She grins and spreads her hands. "Eh? Eh? I'm telling ya, you would have loved my dad and his sense of humor."

Oh, hey, they're here. Neat. Rose's hands drop to her sides as she turns to face Dorota, flipping up her cap and mounting it on her head, taking the next several seconds to adjust it while the conversation gets started properly.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

The potion does in fact take a while to complete. After adding the first batch of ingredients to the base, the mixture needs to simmer for two hours, with Dorota having to carefully manage the pressure and temperature in the container. She will explain this to Brian as well.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Then it seems Raven's arrived early. That may put a damper on her jovial evil spirits. Oh no wait, Rose is accomplishing that already. "That you are your dad's spawn is... perhaps too believable." Raven refuses to admit how much she likes puns, largely because these ones aren't delivered in evil monologues or dramatic, high stakes fights. Rose's dad cheapens the value of Raven's carefully thought out evil pun schemes.

"I know, I know, you've missed me~" Raven says half-heartedly to Dorota as she enters the room, still suffering from Rose's humor. "Now, where's my love potion?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Well, there it is. Time to see if Raven is capable of understanding that the potion takes time.

"It's here." She points at the container where the mix is bubbling gently. "At this stage, I must monitor its temperature and pressure for two hours."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Raven narrows her eyes slightly at Dorota, tail flicking behind her slowly.

"You're not trying to stall for time, are you? It'll be days before a proper rescue attempt can be made for you and I'd hate for anything to happen between now and then."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Lair, Sweet Lair]

Dorota manages to stand firmly, but not hide the quivering in her voice. Will she be able to convince Raven? She's not lying or stalling, but will Raven believe that?

"This stage goes take this long. The love potion requires precision. If the time, temperature or pressure are off, it won't work. Or it will have severe side-effects."