Skyside Prime

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Skyside Prime

Post by Hraithre »

[Groundtown]

Turns out, "Colonel Sandels's" idea of "catching something to eat" on the way, was going through several trashbins by the roadside and at least one unfortunate dog's bowl, in search of scraps. Dog food tends to be both humanly edible and nutritious, if a bit bland, and considerably less guarded than other things he could steal, at least when the dog's not around. Or hiding from a metal hell-horse. Both work.

He also picked up a roadkill for his companion, Hyphaelia, to eat. Hey, the mushroom girl said she'd eat corpses, and he delivered.

This isn't the first time Sandels has been here. However, last time he was on a bike, wearing biker gear. Now he is a hobo on a horse. Hopefully, no-one will recognize him in a hooded grey overcoat and ill-fitting jeans. Not that that's any guarantee of safety in a place like this. Some other hobo might jump on him bust because he's on their turf. Lots of people passing by look just as dirty and poor as him, except for them, it's not a disguise.

"Going to leave this horse here", he remarks to his companion, "easier to hide without it, and if we need a ride, I can steal someone else's. So off we go." He jumps down and beckons for her to do the same.

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Groundtown

Hyphaelia is in no way put off by scrounging through the trash. Decay is a part of life, and in her estimate usually the most delicious part. Waste not want not.

She accepts the roadkill happily, although her method of eating it is a little unique. She exhales a small cloud of spores that settle over the small carcass, and rapidly begin to grow until the already unidentifiable thing is covered in clusters of small brown mushrooms. Then she eats the mushrooms, with obvious enjoyment. Is it cannibalism? Who can say. By the time she's done, there's nothing left but bones.

As they approach Groundtown, Lia looks up, wide eyed, at the floating city high above. She's never seen anything like it, and the thought of being so far from the earth makes her dizzy. Shaking her head, she resolves to keep her focus on the ground for now.

Hopping down from the horse alongside Sandels, Lia gives the beast an affectionate pat and takes in her surroundings. Although the Colonel is well disguised, she likely sticks out like a sore thumb, unless glowing mushroom ladies are common in these parts. However, keeping a low profile isn't something that would really occur to her anyway.

"Alright! So what are we looking for?"
horses can attack and eat me
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Groundtown]

There are weirder things than either of them in this city. A glowing mushroon girl will fit right in. Sadly, under current standards of the place, "fitting in" might mean being captured and sold as a slave.

"First, we'll be looking for a lift", he answers her question, pointing at the floating body of Skyside proper, "there was a basket lift around here last time I visited. Hopefully, it's still in place."

Sandels begins navigating through the slums. The horse neighs, maybe as its way of saying good bye, and then trots off. Some brave Groundtown resident might get it in their head to catch it. They're welcome to try.

"Second, we'll look for an apotechary", he explains while they move, "then I'll engage is some good old fashioned robbery. In case that bothers you, I'll inform you that the law here is a joke and nearly everyone is at least as bad as me, so really, they deserve it and it's for the greater good."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Groundtown

Among the many things that Hyphaelia is unaware of is slavery, so she's entirely unconcerned with the possibility. Ignorance is confidence.

But one thing she's not very confident in is above them. She quails as Sandels points at the distant sky city. "Oh, we're going up there? Okay. Okay great, can't wait. Love it." She does not love it, but she's not going to back down now.

Waving at the horse, Lia follows Sandels through the winding streets. She's not being very observant of her surroundings, as her eyes keep drifting upwards.

"What stuff are we getting from the apothecary?" she inquires, trying to get her mind back in the present, "And no I don't care about stealing. Owning things still really doesn't make sense to me, you can't own anything but yourself." Seems they each have their own justifications for unsavory activities.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Groundtown]

Lia is lucky to accompany Sandels on this trip. He might not be in the best of shapes right now, but he can sense evil intent targeted at himself and various other horrible things even before they happen. So, her unobservant attitude is mildly less dangerous than it would normally be.

"Well, let me introduce you to a revolutionary new concept then", the man jests, "one can also own everything they can prevent others from taking. Anyways, what i need is bandages, spirits and aspirin. Oh, and pen and paper. Those'd be nice. I'll decide what else once we're there."

Eventually, the two come to a lift attached to a long cable hanging from the side of the city. "This is it. Get on board and try to get comfortable. It's a slow ride." The frame of the elevator platform seems to have minimal amount of steel to keep the passengers from falling off. Not enough to keep them safe from the wind or cold.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Groundtown

"Well, that seems fair as long as you need the things more than they do," says Lia reasonably. "Which I'm sure you do...?" It's barely a question, because she barely expects an answer. They could be doing a lot worse.

Lia looks dubiously at the metal lift. Her fear of heights is well established, but she hadn't even thought of the cold wind until now. Mycoids tend to thrive in hot, humid environments- exactly the opposite of this windswept journey. Still, she gingerly steps aboard, already tensely gripping the railing in anticipation of the ascent.

"This is safe, right?" Not that she'd believe him if he said yes. There's nothing safe about any of this.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Black Abyss Milk Factory

Mina can't actually see the contents of the vats from where she is, so she can't really know that the crane moving is a good thing. Desperate, Mina jumps, kicking off the side of the vat for height to reach the lip of the vat, planting a hoof on the rim of the container of (harmless water) and leaping, an arm thrown around the falling woman as she lunges all the way to the catwalk beyond.

Not the most graceful or gentle grab, but Dorota has probably been treated worse in the past day or two.
Of course Raven is getting away and Mina can't just let that happen without at least trying, so she pulls Sai from her gi one more time to point him skyward and let out one more shot.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Keeper wrote: Mar 17, 2023 3:49 am Mina's Place

"Well. I live alone besides Sai, who's a spirit. So uh. No, there's no one besides me to protest. I'd just have to trust you with the spare key." But Mina usually feels like someone who does superheroics willingly can probably be trusted not to rob the place
[Mina's Place]

"Then... yeah, hell yeah I'd be up for it. I was worried I'd have to stay at a motel or something," Emily responds, her head bobbing in agreement, "Cooking for you while I'm here should be no issue."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Going up from Groundtown]

Sandels slams the elevator gate shut behind them and hits the controls. There's a beep, a short hum, and then the thing jerks into motion. "You remember that praying thing we did?", he says laconically, "now would be a good moment to pray a little."

The elevator sways slightly from side to side as it climbs up the cable. From inside, they can see other people and other lifts going up and down. Occasionally, even small aircraft. The air is cool, but the wind is not too harsh.

"So, back at the inn, you had some questions. About magic", Sandels starts after a moment of silence. Why not, they have time for a little chit-chat, and it's one way to distract Lia from looking down at the ground. "Do you have any training in the occult? Did your mother have?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Black Abyss Milk Factory]

Raven narrows her eye. Doing little else than watching, it's easy to have Brian swerve around Tempest's parting shot as they escape out the hole and into the night sky. So greedy. Both the hero and the temptress thinking they can take and take and take with no consequences at all.

As the Empress exits from view a small box falls down from the fleeing catgirl, tumbling into the hole to the warehouse floor below, now eerily devoid of any visible active mechazombies. Maybe it gets smashed, maybe it gets caught, it doesn't particularly matter either way. Regardless, the remote with a single button marked with skull and crossbones is useless to Empress Ebondark now. They can have it.

The Empress' song gets cut off, replaced with a much more ominous warning.

[Black Abyss Milk Factory - Control Room]

The monitors before Rose all flick away from the cameras, replaced with bright red numbers. 1:00... 0:59... 0:58...

Awkwardly, the Control Room is probably furthest away from any emergency exit. Though there are a lot of buttons in here that Rose could push if she'd rather go that route. Including a large black one covered with glass.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Oh, fuck me..." Rose groans as the monitors switch over to a clear indication that Raven did not, in fact, intend for Rose to walk away from this encounter unpunished.

Or, in all likelihood, at all.

If she runs, and really runs, maybe she can get clear of the factory before it goes up in smoke. But there's no guarantee of that, especially not if Raven locked the doors. She probably did, didn't she? That sounds like a very Raven thing to do.

Before she does anything else, Rose tries the doors to the control booth, specifically the ones that lead out to the catwalk with Dorota and Tempest. Those two are her best bet for getting out of the building in one piece, even if they have absolutely no reason whatsoever to trust her.

A bit late to be worrying about that, though.

Unable get through the doors, Rose screams out a warning to the two of them: "Get out of here! The whole building's going to blow!" Her attempts at survival are going to be a moot point if she can't even get out of the room she's in, but neither of them deserves to be blown to smithereens with her.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Mar 22, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 04, 2023 7:24 pm Groundtown

Sian nods, but doesn't speak to keep running. She's not got a great deal of endurance when it comes to running, being a gunslinger and fighter at short ranges and for relatively short periods of time. Her training's been more focused on improving her reaction speed and accuracy with handheld firearms. She does keep her dazzler up.
Groundtown

For now it should be clear that the beast is heading for the other side of the city as the old men expected that sure will come in handy as information.
The problem is that following will get a lot harder. The creature has shaken during the run and sometimes taken a stop to get the paint of so after around 2/3 there is near no pain trail. Thought the followers can catch up enougth to hear that the creature suddendly left the path around groundtown and jumped into the fores around, unless they still got a high view in taht case they might have a clear shot at it as it leaves the cover of the city edge.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Going up from Groundtown

Lia keeps a death grip on the bar as the contraption begins its ascent. Every bump or rocking motion makes her shift uncomfortably as she watches the beloved ground grow further and further away. She considers taking Sandels literally and mouthing a quick prayer to Mist, but rain might actually make the journey rockier and it's already bad enough.

Sandels' question does distract her though, and she grimaces at the mention of her mom. "I don't really have training, no. Where I come from magic is everywhere, but its more in what you are, not something you do. I want to learn more, though. About that and everything else." Her eyes become a little distant, as if she's remembering something.

"As for my mother, she has more than training. She knows everything there is to know, and I do mean everything. 'Queen Hyphaelia, wisest being in all the land, living afterlife of the mycoids'. And me just a fragile little copy." There's some deep seated bitterness here. Speaking of bitterness, Lia is broken from her trance by a particularly chilly gust of wind, and she temporarily releases her hold on the railing to rub her arms with a shiver.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Hyphaelia letting go causes the lift to sway a bit more. There's no danger of it tipping or anyone falling off, but it might make her more scared. Sandels grips the bar closest to himself to keep balanced. He considers telling her to not rock the boat, but decides against it. It's better to just keep the conversation going.

"See, where I'm from, we look at it the exact other way around. Magic is a method - a collection of methods, really. For anything people are, we have other, more specific terms", he explains, "not that humans ever are that precise in how they use such terms. If I wanted to be technical, I would not even use the word. We would be talking about the hidden Paths, of psychic energy, of true names and words of origin. Concepts and philosophy of how the subjective and objective worlds blend together in the otherworld. Oh, and praying."

He chuckles and pulls the silver pendant from beneath his shirt. "A lot of my kind don't like to use that word, because they feel it gives humans a wrong impression of where we stand in relation to other kinds of beings. Even if that is what reciting words of origin and calling on spirits through the Paths is."

He looks at Hyphaelia. "Do you think that, if I were to pray to your mother, she would hear?"
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

It takes a few moments for Dorota to register that she's not boiling alive in a vat of chemicals.

"T-thank you," she stammers out, as panic starts lifting off her body a little, restoring the use of her limbs. Didn't Rose say something about her bonds being easily loosened? Then, however, Rose's warning sends a fresh wave of terror through her and she redoubles her efforts to get free.

[Groundtown]

"This thing is smarter than it looks," Olvisin remarks as the paint train grows thinner.

"I think it's heading into the woods," Luuvat observes, his sensitive ears twitching. "If we hurry we can catch it in the open."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Going up from Groundtown

Lia gives a small yelp at the sudden sway, and quickly grabs back onto the bar. She's not going to do that again in a hurry. Closing her eyes, she focuses on Sandels' voice to take her mind off their surroundings.

"I know a little about the power of names, there are some in my land who trade such things amongst each other. But I haven't heard of hidden Paths. Everything is interconnected, so it makes sense that you can influence those connections with the right pull." She's never thought of praying in such terms before, but then again she's never thought much about praying at all.

At Sandels' last statement, her eyes snap wide open. Carefully taking one hand off the railing so as not to rock it again, she reaches over and grips his arm urgently.

"I don't know if she would hear, but I really don't want to find out. She can't know I'm here, or she'll try to bring me back." That thought seems significantly more upsetting than her fear of heights.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Mar 23, 2023 12:54 am [Black Abyss Milk Factory]

It takes a few moments for Dorota to register that she's not boiling alive in a vat of chemicals.

"T-thank you," she stammers out, as panic starts lifting off her body a little, restoring the use of her limbs. Didn't Rose say something about her bonds being easily loosened? Then, however, Rose's warning sends a fresh wave of terror through her and she redoubles her efforts to get free.

Without Dorota's body weight pulling the rope on one end and the anchor on the other, her bonds come apart almost comically easily; the minion, it seemed, knew her knots.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Groundtown

"We were warned about that. The old dude said it was clever." And it's a predator; they often tend to be smarter than their prey. If she gets another look at the predator, Sian's going to pull her other hand from the pocket of her coat, pulling out a small paintball gun and firing a burst of inaccurate and low velocity plastic spheres filled with brightly coloured paint inside, hoping to spatter and add a few more drops to make their trail easier to follow.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Would going back be that much of a bad thing?", Sandels asks, looking the girl gripping his arm in her eyes. "Calling your mother 'the living afterlife' for mycoids makes it sound that's where you belong, and, maybe, where I ought to take you. I understand if you don't want to go. People often don't. The guy we're after for here, he certainly didn't. Stabbed me in the leg, that rat bastard. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go."

The lift begins to slow down and docks itself at the side of the floating city. Sandels opens the gate and beckons for Lia to get out. Based on the barrack-like houses stacked on top of one another and black pillars of smoke rising up into the sky, it seems like they're on the edge of the Thunderhead Distict. "Ah, we're here. Hmmm..." The man looks around. "... damn it. I can't remember how to get to the hotel from here. We'll have to ask around. Maybe from that apothecary I'll rob. Keep your eyes open for... wait, you do know what an apothecary looks like, right?" He realizes she probably doesn't. In truth, he doesn't know himself, he's never been to one in this city, he doesn't know how they're marked, if they're marked. Based on his experience, this city isn't big on standards.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead District

Lia pulls her arm back like she's been stung. She glares at Sandels with a look of betrayal.

"You don't understand! Running away is the only chance I have to lead my own existence, to be more than just a piece of her hivemind. You'd take that away from me? And even if it was a good afterlife for me, I'm not dead! There's no reason for me to go now even if I wanted to." Crossing her arms, she looks away from him stubbornly.

As soon as the lift arrives she eagerly steps past him off the platform and onto the city itself. It's a far cry from being ground, but it's significantly more stable than the lift, and she breathes in a huge sigh of relief. This place is far more industrialized than she's used to, but that doesn't particularly bother her. Looking around, she shrugs.

"I assume an apothecary would have bottles, right? I'll keep an eye out for bottles," she says shortly. How hard can it be? Not many places have bottles, surely.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Thunderhead District]

Sandels narrows his eyes. "Little princess, some humans would say my lot exist to take everything away from you." He steps out after Lia and lets the elevator return back to the ground. He settles for walking a few steps behind her, hands in his pockets, a hood pulled over his head.

"Bottles, cans, boxes... anything that'd look like it has medicine in it", he confirms. "You can read, right? Silly me, of course you can." Would've been hard to read Don Quixote otherwise. "See if you can spot a sign on a door or window reading 'hospital', 'apothecary', 'pharmacy', anything of the sort."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead District

"Well I'm not human. Or a princess," mutters Lia crossly over her shoulder. She stomps off down the street, clearly in a foul mood.

"I can read practically any language, so it shouldn't be a problem." She peers about, looking here and there, suddenly determined to be the first one to spot it. Maybe she's just trying to prove that she has something to contribute.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Thunderhead District- Pharmacy

It's a heavily fortified building, with bars over the windows and a hired thug leaning next to the door, but it is indeed a pharmacy. Or possibly it's a house that sells drugs, some of which are medicinal. Either way, it has a green cross in the windows and a neon sign above the door saying 'Harmacy', though only because nobody's fixed the 'P'.

The thug outside is a bulky blue-skinned chap with a shaved head, wearing a string vest to show off his muscles and a pair of jeans. He's also wearing bits of sportswear; an elbow pad on his left arm, mismatched shin guards, and a leather glove with metal studs on his left hand. His right arm has been replaced between shoulder and elbow with a crude cybernetic, his right hand replaced with a pair of scissoring blades. Hanging near his organic hand is a bulky pistol, made from crudely stamped metal and 3D printed plastic.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Thunderhead District- Pharmacy

At the sight of the (P)harmacy sign Lia quickens her pace.

"Found it!" she hisses triumphantly over her shoulder, not bothering to wait for a response. She begins to walk directly towards the front door, then stops abruptly as she realizes it's guarded. That shear hand looks nasty, and a more subtle approach might be best. However, she's still in a bit of a mood, and isn't too keen to wait around for Sandels to tell her to stay put while he does the heavy lifting. If he wants to sneak in, well, she's going to provide a distraction.

"Hey, you! You got any, uh..." What had Sandels said? "Any astirin?"she calls out, waving cheerfully. Behind her back, she begins to manifest a ball of spores to throw if the situation turns ugly.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Thunderhead district - (P)harmacy]

"Aspirin", Sandels corrects, slowly catching up to Lia, holding his hands up as he approaches the guard. "Or any other painkillers. Just a quick supply run, nothing special."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Thunderhead District- Harmacy

The thug nods and raises his hand off his hip, jabbing at the door. "I'm just the muscle. You want the boss. She'll know if we'll sell t'you." His voice is surprisingly high-pitched and quite squeaky. The door, if either try it, is unlocked, and leads into a large room split up by a long counter topped with a reinforced glass window through which the pharmacist is visible, a withered and elderly-looking gnome with a very large nose and long, spindly fingers, sat upon a children's highchair. There's a slot in the counter for passing things through the barrier without making it easy for intruders to get into the area the gnome is seated in. Behind the gnome are an awful lot of shelves with a great many boxes, cartons, and containers of medicine, drugs, and poisons. "Can Ah help you, dearies?" She smiles, a sharp and predatory grin.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia opens the door and strides in without hesitation. She's never been in any sort of pharmacy before, so she doesn't seem at all surprised by the shady setup. Walking up to the counter, she gives the gnome a winning smile.

"Hello madam! We're in need of aspirin, bandages, and uh...spirits." She isn't sure which kind of spirits Sandels meant, but she's not going to admit that. She peers through the window at the varied assortment of items beyond, despite not knowing exactly what they're looking for.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Thunderhead District- Harmacy]

Sandels saunters in at Lia's heels. He stops to poke the reinforced glass. "How charmingly old-fashioned...", he mutters, before walking to Lia. "Yeah, enough bandages to completely wrap an adult human. While you're at it, throw in a tourist brochure. Or at least give me some directions. Need to find the Trust-Worthy Hotel. Or at least I think it was the Trust-Worthy Hotel. Would be bloody inconvenient if there's more of those things..."

While he's striking a conversation, he leans to his side of the counter and scans the area behind the glass, looking for the way the little ugly lady uses to get to and from her workpost. He's also looking a short distance into the future, trying to discern if there are any non-obvious threat aimed at him or his companion, how alert the thug outside is, how long would it take him to react to events inside the shop... that kind of thing.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Black Abyss Milk Factory

”Oh crap. We should-“ Mina’s eyes go wide.
”OH CRAP THE OTHER HOSTAGES.”
Mina takes one more leap back to where she came in and sets Dorota down.
”Follow me, Miss. CLEAR THE DOOR!”
Mina wastes no time ramming the door she came in from. She’s only got about thirty seconds to make sure those other people get out of here.

Mina’s Place

”Okay. Uh, well you have room and board here, for sure. And I’ll pay you on top of that. Send me the grocery bills I guess?”
Mina shakes her head, clearly embarrassed.
”Sorry, I’ve never hired someone before.”
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

There's a door in the back, which may lead out of the building. It's steel, and fastened with a number of locks and bolts across it. Glancing into the future reveals the floor has the potential to be electrified, and the guard reacts quickly (if the glimpse includes sound, the alarm is practically deafeningly loud so he can't easily ignore it), opening the door and shooting at anyone moving once the electricity has been turned off.

"Aspirin I got. Got better stuff, too. An' bandages. Sure y'don't want a nice bit o' morphine? Kills pain dead." And is far more addictive, which is one reason why she's fortified her shop as far as she has. She clambers down to grab the bandages and the aspirin anyway. "Trust-Worthy Hotel? Hmmph. Place burnt down a while back, y' don't want to go there. I know a much nicer little hotel, called the Happy Hole. No slaves, neither, so it's good for tourists with ethics or morels or whatever." The gnome sounds dismissive of ethics and morals, which is one reason her aspirin is spiked with nicotine. "Bandages're [decent price], aspirin's [cheap enough to be slightly suspicious], cos I like you two." She grins, revealing a poor-quality set of dentures replacing her teeth.