Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Vigil

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Depends," Emily raises a brow, though she's clearly interested, "What weapon restrictions?"
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Emily's offer makes Ambrosia pause. "Let me clarify, perhaps 'duel' is the wrong word to use. This is more a 'training-duel'. So you would be restricted to the training sword that I gave you. Since this would be a part of the training you wanted." She gestures to Emily.

"Unless of course you want an actual duel? Since that would be another kind of training."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Feb 17, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

There's a humming sound and the Pokeball begins to wobble slightly. This goes on for a while, before the ball settles and lets out a small click to indicate succesfull transfer. Geneva's machine might play a little jingle to accompany this.

Then, the ball opens and blue light from within coalesces into a tiny, light blue mew. It's likely even smaller than anticipated, small enough to fit on Eun's palm. It is curled into a ball and fast asleep as it floats in mid-air.

Meanwhile, LB2 keeps drawing on her board. She's fitted the curve Eun explained on her own diagram. Travel between time-displaced worlds creates a nice wave pattern between two thick parallel lines. There are also two thinner diagonal lines now, with a similar wave pattern between them. It's an illustration of how "routine travel between time-displaced worlds" might cause an object travelling from brane to brane to accidentally and temporarily align itself with a brane it was previously unaware of.

The holographic girl stops drawing and puts the board away when she hears Lapis's question. "Ah, if that's the way you want to use the word, I'd say we were more talking about things that seem like 'magic', because they are difficult or impossible to explain from our vantage points. But, in that sense, depending on cognitive limitations of an observer, almost anything can seem like 'magic'."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"You know, I never put this kind of thought into my own training. I was a soldier and that was that. I was ordered to train and I did. It's pretty recently that I started... thinking about it." Thariza's tail swishes behind her. "A duel between you should be interesting to see, though."

[Far Too Early]

Wenomir closes his eyes briefly. On the one hand, this is very embarrassing. On the other, it made Magtok leave more quickly and in a funnier way. So it's not all bad.

"He was just leaving anyway. But he did bring important news and I need to discuss them with Cessie next. We'll inform everyone about the news later."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"I'm fine either way. Though, I do feel like I have some unfair advantages when it comes to an unrestricted fight between us, what with my size and all," Emily says. And then she turns to Thariza, "I've always felt that the reason why you fight is more important than the how or what. At the end of the day, action must be for purpose."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"Then why don't we continue training? Since we should start with your pose." The scholar gestures to Emily's training sword. "No matter how strong you are a ssangsudo carries a lot of momentum when you swing it. So to prevent it from controlling your movements instead of the other way around you should hold one hand to the ricasso of the blade. This will give you better control when you swing it."

She takes out her own blade and shows her the grip. "One aspect which makes you uniquely suited for this type of blade is your strength. You might not even realize it but it takes a lot of upper body strength to swing this weapon around. I had to work for a long time to be able to match that requirement and I would have you do it too if not for the fact that you clearly don't need it."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Sure," Emily retrieves her training sword from where she tucked it onto her belt and mimics the grip Ambrosia is showing by gripping the ricasso. Her stand isn't perfect, but very good for a first try.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"It might as well be called that, yes." Eun agrees. "Because things like... that," she nods toward the mew-fetus, "defy explanation. Even the technology here in the Nexus doesn't always obey well-established rules. I don't know what I would call a pattern of data that can create new universes, in effect, just by thinking about it, other than magic. Or forces that can bend the laws of physics. Or..." Eun rubs her fingers against her temples, taking a step back and finding a convenient stool to sit on. "...Sorry. I just need a minute."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"Okay, try a few swings with it now." She demonstrates by making a swing of her own, precise and calculated.

She has a few more comments for Emily however. "It's a huge weapon so try to use its reach. You might already be aware of this but with larger melee weapons you trade in mobility and energy for reach and impact. While a single swing, or even a dozen of them, probably isn't a great deal for someone of your prowess it still adds up. Which is why most great fighters try to finish fights in a single swing or less." Ambrosia had a feeling that Emily knew quite well how to finish a fight without striking a single blow. Give your opponents the idea that fighting you would be suicide and no one had to be hurt at all.

"I have a feeling that you could use the ssangsudo in different ways than me so don't be afraid to experiment a bit. Use what you have and we shall exchange a few swings afterwards, alright?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

Emily watches Ambrosia's swing, looking at all the details for a moment, before following through with her own swings.

... It's not a perfect recreation, but Emily only has to adjust herself once, without even being told, to modify it towards something a journeyman could manage. It seems to be her limit at the moment - she won't turn into a master overnight - but she clearly has an incredibly good head for combat arts if all it took for her to get that level of quality was a single explanation and an example.

Of course, the knowledge is theoretical for the moment; she'll need an opponent to experience it properly.

"Am I doing it right?" she asks.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"It's a good start." Ambrosia remarks as she repeats the slashing movement but slower this time. "Like with all arts one must master the core before they can start building on it. While all masters styles are different their foundations are always the same. Which is why it sometimes can be dangerous to train on your own. It's easy to pick up bad habits that are difficult to root out later on and if there's cracks in the foundation the whole building becomes unstable."

She makes a series of slashes as she slowly moves forward. Subtly changing her grip as she angles the blade differently. Coming in from the right and the left and finally a thrust.

"You already seem to have a fairly good foundation though with all your previous training in other arts. Doesn't seem like your former teachers have let you pick up any bad habits."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Nah, they beat those out of me pretty well," Emily says, smiling. She'll follow the same pattern of movements Ambrosia did; a series of slashes followed by a thrust. It's clear her hands are a little too stiff though, not repositioning on the handle properly for every movement. She has a fantastic foundation, but that's for kinesthetic sense and footwork. Her weapon-specific skills seem to be lacking, even though she was able to follow the full set of swings Ambrosia did well enough besides that.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Lapis doesn't know about lots of things.

She doesn't know much about magic.

She doesn't know about the laws of physics.

But... she DOES know that Miss Eun seems upset. So Lapis moves over and hugs her friend again. "It's okay Miss Eun sometimes things don't make sense or they aren't fair but the world is broken and it isn't Correct and we can just work to make it better a little at a time."

Lapis ALSO knows that hugs make things better.

As for Geneva?

She is kind of offended that Doctor Bu implied that pokemon teleportation, digitization, and actualization technology is some sort of magic. Obviously it isn't. The basic principles of it are all well known and exhaustively defined! But now really isn't the time for that. Eun is clearly having issue with cognitive dissonance overload.

Instead?

She turns her attention to the tiny mew-pup. Geneva carefully gathers it in her telekinesis and gently probes at it with her mind. Is it whole and well and healthy? She wasn't expecting something the size of a newborn kitten. Not at all. Did something go wrong?
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

LB2 follows Lapis's example to an extent and her hologram goes to pat Eun on the back. "Don't worry. I'm fairly sure you'll figure it out. Maybe even within your lifetime! Think of it this way, you're living a scientist's dream! Lot of unexplored things and new theories to make!"

Meanwhile, LB-M continues being fast asleep. She is perfectly healthy despite being so tiny. Her unexpectedly small size might be explained by presence of half-realized cybernetic implants. Apparently, LB-M realized there would be some issues with the modifications she made for a real living, growing thing, so she used principles behind the cellular automaton to create mechanical organs, so to speak. The implants are waiting for her to eat and grow to her full size before fully assembling themselves.

It's unclear how long she'll take to wake up on her own. Geneva probably could prod her in some way to rouse her before that. Or she can just move her somewhere where she won't accidentally float against anything dangerous.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"In what way is that a dream?" Eun frowns, still rubbing her temples. "I got into this business because I wanted to know how things work. The universe around us has always been layers upon layers of black boxes, and I wasn't content then to take 'it just works' as an answer. I wanted to look inside and see all the mechanisms and relays in place. And over the course of several years, I'd found time to look into so many boxes. I thought I understood... well, almost everything. Then, one freak accident later, I'm back to being surrounded by boxes and these ones have locks on them." She groans and buries her face in her hands. "This isn't a scientist's paradise. It's hell."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Far Too Early]

"I'm- I'm going to go... er, work on some paperwork." An excuse suitably concocted, Blanche leaves the room brisk and hurried, a look in her eyes like she's trying to will away the incredible embarrassment coloring her cheeks.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Eun is definitely not having a great time. Geneva decides to supply some encouragement, if only a little. ~It isn't as hopeless as you think. I was running into the same problem when I first arrived here. Everything seemed contradictory and nonsensical. But as I learned more about the Nexus' translation effect I realized that this place has MULTIPLE sets of sets of natural laws corresponding to multiple home universes. It isn't impossible or constantly changing. There are just multiple rule-sets functioning at once governing different things. It's... messy. But it isn't impossible to overcome or comprehend. The BIFROST device is a testament to that! It needs to be able to interface with MANY physical law rule-sets simultaneously. It can be done, but it helps to focus on one part at a time. It gets... overwhelming... otherwise.~

The floating mew gives a tiny nod to the others.

~I'm going to move LB-M to a more appropriate location while the data is compiling,~
Geneva sends to Eun as he begins drifting toward the door with the tiny mew in in her gentle telekinetic grip. ~If you're going to remain in the lab make sure Lapis doesn't touch anything.~

Geneva is well aware that the girl is curious. She's also well aware that Lapis is unable to receive telepathic messages. And that said she'll be moving off toward her own quarters. Geneva doesn't stay at VIGIL all the time; she has her own flat Inside where she lives with her husband and children. But her VIGIL quarters are still useful whens he needs to get away from the lab for a spell.

Lapis still isn't totally sure what's going on here. But! "If you need help finding the keys for the boxes Miss Eun I can help I'm really good at finding keys I've done it lots before it's fun!"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Halae wrote: Feb 21, 2023 8:23 am [Superhero Training]

"Nah, they beat those out of me pretty well," Emily says, smiling. She'll follow the same pattern of movements Ambrosia did; a series of slashes followed by a thrust. It's clear her hands are a little too stiff though, not repositioning on the handle properly for every movement. She has a fantastic foundation, but that's for kinesthetic sense and footwork. Her weapon-specific skills seem to be lacking, even though she was able to follow the full set of swings Ambrosia did well enough besides that.
[Superhero Training]

Going to do a time skip here to a training course for Emily in Outside.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

The holographic girl withdraws her hand and puffs her cheeks at Eun's response. "Well that backfired royally", she mutters to herself, only realizing as she says it that she doesn't really know what words like "backfire" and "royally" mean.

Thankfully, Lapis is there to distract both of them. LB2 laughs a little at the other kid while Geneva spirits LB-M away. LB2 doesn't have anything to add to what Lapis said, though, so her gaze starts to wander. "So, I take Dr. Richards got what she wanted from this?", she wonders, looking at remaining pieces of the disassembled cylinder and whatever else is still visible in the room. "It's undeniably been a productive evening... or morning or day, I wouldn't really know... I'm a bit confused, though. What prompted all this? I feel I missed it during all the theorizing."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Eun gives Lapis a grimace and one last side-hug. "I'm sure you could." She says, all too aware that Lapis could probably take her metaphor literally and still present a workable (if incoherent) solution.

As LB-2 makes her thoughts known, Eun frowns and looks down at the tiny robot. "You know, I'm actually not certain. I came in to assist, but as far as the scope of the experiment is concerned, it looks as though we went a bit off the rails. And, incidentally, made you a new sister." She turns to watch Geneva exist the lab with the pokeball in hand. "We've got to stop doing that. Creating new life without having prepared to support is is wildly unethical." She adds, glancing down to LB-2 again as she considers how this trend started.

...Huh.

"...Speaking of which, we should check in on your sister." Eun adds, standing up and straightening out her coat. "And maybe see about getting her some means of locomotion. Hanging out in the lab all day would drive any human crazy, I'm sure it's not that much better for her."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Feb 16, 2023 11:29 am The fact that her fingers can move in ways a normal hand can is something I remember Mia mentioned when she made it. After all the machine isnt limited like a normal hand.

Mia looks at the hand and the aura she can see around it. Her face darkens as she notice that the spirit of the machine is in pain. Like if something posses another body the machine itself suffers under it. It shouldn't be that much of a problem to purify it again, but there are other things at hand.

"From your words I would have guessed a configuration is wrong or connections are broken, but this doesn't seem the case. Would you mind telling me what you did befor this behaviour occured? Like did someone touch it or did you get into contact with some strange objects."

[Lab]

Awen shrugs: "Well, I don't exactly know. Can't exactly remember when it started acting weird, just that it's slowly been getting worse and worse over time," she says.

She pauses, as if trying to think of anything at all she can add that would be helpful. "I mean, it's been several months since I noticed it acting up, but I figured it was just a normal robot thing that happens sometimes. At first, it was barely noticeable, which is why I don't know exactly when it started. Over time, it just has gotten worse. But...um, in terms of things I've been doing or things I've gotten in contact with? I mean, I've just been largely practicing magic, and training, and so on. There was that dragon dream mess that happened some time ago, but I don't think there's any direct links between that and this."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

The holographic girl takes one last look around Geneva's lab before turning towards the door. "I wouldn't be too worried about my sister. She is very good at entertaining herself. But, I do think she will be very curious to hear everything we've done here. Let's go."

So the little robot follows in Eun's wake, back to her own vault-laboratory.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Feb 28, 2023 4:54 am [Lab]

Awen shrugs: "Well, I don't exactly know. Can't exactly remember when it started acting weird, just that it's slowly been getting worse and worse over time," she says.

She pauses, as if trying to think of anything at all she can add that would be helpful. "I mean, it's been several months since I noticed it acting up, but I figured it was just a normal robot thing that happens sometimes. At first, it was barely noticeable, which is why I don't know exactly when it started. Over time, it just has gotten worse. But...um, in terms of things I've been doing or things I've gotten in contact with? I mean, I've just been largely practicing magic, and training, and so on. There was that dragon dream mess that happened some time ago, but I don't think there's any direct links between that and this."
[Lab]

"You mean the one attacking the island?" Mia says. She was there as well and supported from afar.
"That migth be the case. If I recall correctly the dragon was manipulated by something. Maybe this something got on the arm and infected it."
Her face darkens as she thinks about it.
"If that is the case we need to look over everyone involved. In that fight. Can you take the arm off and put it here. I will take care of it. That shouldn't need to long."

She points at a table on the side that seems to be free and has a bracket for parts like arms and elgs.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Zefir wrote: Mar 06, 2023 10:25 am [Lab]

"You mean the one attacking the island?" Mia says. She was there as well and supported from afar.
"That migth be the case. If I recall correctly the dragon was manipulated by something. Maybe this something got on the arm and infected it."
Her face darkens as she thinks about it.
"If that is the case we need to look over everyone involved. In that fight. Can you take the arm off and put it here. I will take care of it. That shouldn't need to long."

She points at a table on the side that seems to be free and has a bracket for parts like arms and elgs.
[Lab]

"Yeah, was being manipulated through dreams," Awen confirms. "Well, if it was because of that incident, it's possible that it just affected me. Since I did fly pretty close and use my magic to try to directly connect with and manipulate whatever was doing the controlling." Awen even got moderately close to being effective! Sadly, the controller was just too overwhelmingly powerful for her.

Awen nods, and she looks down at the connection for the robotic arm. She walks over to the table.
Her hair animates and lengthens, then wraps around the prosthetic, and her hair undoes the connection.
Soon, it's of, and...the witch grabs the disconnected arm and takes it from her hair.
Her hair shortens itself.

"Yeah, here," she says. She sets it down on the table.

Further analysis of the disconnected arm will show there's...currently nothing possessing it. Not while it's disconnected.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Lab]

Mia will tend the arm like any other, looking fro defacts, detached links and what else. Then as she tries to purify it she suddendly stops. It's gone? That can't be. She does cast a simple protection on the arm just to proof she just can't detect it. Then she turns to Awen with the intend to scan her whole. She doesn't say anything and just looks. After all she can't be sure of herasumption unless she has an evidence. Maybe it's not the arm that got the problem but AWEN and for some the posses shows on the mechanical arm because it's not part of Awens original body.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Zefir wrote: Mar 10, 2023 9:39 am [Lab]

Mia will tend the arm like any other, looking fro defacts, detached links and what else. Then as she tries to purify it she suddendly stops. It's gone? That can't be. She does cast a simple protection on the arm just to proof she just can't detect it. Then she turns to Awen with the intend to scan her whole. She doesn't say anything and just looks. After all she can't be sure of herasumption unless she has an evidence. Maybe it's not the arm that got the problem but AWEN and for some the posses shows on the mechanical arm because it's not part of Awens original body.

[Lab]

There's no particular defects, just way too much wear and tear.
Well, there is one part that looks on the verge of breaking. The mechanical hand does have small knives that can pop out of the fingers, like sharp fingernails, and they're all really close to breaking.

Besides that, Mia is correct in her assumptions!
When she scans Awen, there's some entity that certain magical scans can detect. And, to confirm it, the entity is most noticeable and strongest on her arm, close to where the mechanical arm would go.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The little mew who could]

Somewhere inside the VIGIL base, a tiny Pokemon yawns and wakes up from sleep. It floats the ground, rubbing its nose and eyes to shake off remnants of sleep. Then it puts its front paws on the ground and stretches like a little cat, even though at the moment, it is more rat than cat sized.

The entity tentatively known as "LB-M" looks at her paws, at her tail, then at the room around. It is a knew feeling, being this strictly embodied and having her consciousness stop at the boundaries of her body, rather than extending to the walls and beyond. Well, not entirely - as a mew, she is of the psychic type and so has some telepathic ability. But at the moment, such extrasensory perception is more an extension of her physical sense of hearing, and she's not powerful enough to hear very far.

On the plus side, this lets her know that she is truly outside any simulation, or at least in a qualitatively different simulation than before. All attempts to query or think like the simulated machine intelligence she used to be part of return nonsense. It's another new feeling - thinking without really knowing how she is thinking. Supposedly, this is how humans also feel, not that she'd know, since she's not been a physical human yet.

On that note, can she turn into a human? Apparently not. Trying to feels like lifting a weight that's too heavy. Likely, she has to grow to her full size before she can do that. For that, she needs to eat. "Miuuuu!", she cries, in a way anyone hearing would recognize as baby crying for "FOOD!".
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Little Mew Who Could

A bird flies closer to the little mew. It's a rather large and ungainly bird, orange underneath and blue-black on top, a blue-skinned face with a spiky orange crest. It's a clumsy flier, though how it got inside is anyone's guess- a bird this big should've been noticed. Nevertheless, there's a hoatzin nearby, fluttering busily up to perch near the ceiling- so much as it can, anyway.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The little mew who could]

LB-M tilts her head, first left, then right, staring at the bird. This is her first time seeing any kind of bird. "Miu?" Some genetic instinct informs her which part of it is head and which is tail, while her inborn vocabulary links these to human words such as "beak" and "feathers", so it's not like this exotic creature is completely alien. But it's still a far cry from what she expected.

Hmmm. Is it edible? She sniffs the air and then sneezes in disgust. Edible or not, it does not smell very good.

Maybe it's another kind of pokemon? She has not seen any of those either, but some instinct tells her it could very well be. Can it talk? Maybe not, at least not in a way a human would. But it looks like it's alive, and hence thinking, so maybe it can hear her thoughts? ~Hello there, bird~, she broadcasts telepathically. ~You are a bird, yes? What are you here for?~
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Little Mew Who Could

The hoatzin smells of manure. It could be eaten; it's not poisonous or toxic. But it wouldn't taste very nice.

The hoatzin tilts its head and regards the mew, as it makes a rasping laughter-like noise. It doesn't otherwise respond to the telepathy, and its mind seems... oddly empty, for such a bird. It does have a brain capable of thought, but investigating it like this gives the impression it's not using it. If LB-M had any such experience, she'd possibly be able to compare it to the brain of someone in a coma, or perhaps in dreamless sleep.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.