Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: Jan 07, 2024 6:26 pm [Inside Khafir's Lab]

Non-functionality of Khafir's fabricator is a significant setback to the entity. If said device did work, it could maybe simply show to the doctor what to make with it. Alas, it is not an option anymore than the entity figuring out what is wrong with the device - after all, Khafir herself has not managed to do that, and the entity, living inside her brain, cannot exceed her problem-solving ability.

But, the entity does figure out one attack vector: Khafir did activate wireless capabilities of LB1 and LB2, and her communicator can send and receive messages to those two machines. Of the two, LB2 is a more appealing target, given its mobility and increased freedom. The right inputs over a call could be enough to insert a suggestion, a seed of an idea, into the reverse-engineered artificial intelligence. But which inputs, and how to sell the idea to the doctor?

When no external event seems to shake the doctor's routine and the entity has exhausted what it can learn by studying VIGIL, it turns to the one other place it truly knows: the Octahedron, its point of origin. It exploits the doctor's farsight to venture into the dark passageways, not hard to do since Khafir herself occasionally checks on the structure to see if anything's changed. Sadly, the non-functionality of the structure means it is still overwhelmingly unlit, and the entity has learned the hard way that Khafir's farsight does not penetrate the pitch-blackness of the empty halls. It has also learned that whatever mechanism Khafir's farsight works by, it cannot bring the entity back into contact with any of its brethren. Because of these things, most of its runs are blind, with no feedback to guide it through the dark. For the same reason, Khafir might not realize the entity is attempting anything with these runs. There quite literally is nothing to see.

There are two notable exceptions. First is familiar to Khafir: the great archive, its walls lined by blue-glowing cylinders storing all of the structures. It is still under watch by VIGIL, lit by light they left behind. In theory, anything the entity could wish to find is there - sadly, it has no physical presence to open any of the cylinders and reveal their contents to the doctor. So, that room is a dead end.

Second is less familiar - Khafir has never visited it, only briefly glimpsed it through her farsight. It is the armory, faint light from four pair of glowing red eyes barely giving it dimensions. The entity knows what they watch over. If it had fingers, they would itch to grasp that thing. If it could long, it would long to see it properly in the sun once again. Khafir needs to see it, though seeing it is, sadly, not enough.

Since the entity cannot physically retrieve it, nor can it bring more light to that sealed chamber, it has to resort to other means. It has learned that it can "augment" the reality of Khafir's visions, paint objects on her field of vision that are not truly there. Now, it bends that power to reconstruct a scene - an image of fictive past. It is an arduous task, taking many days and nights. To Khafir, the initial attempts might look like nothing. But slowly, it paints the armory with colors, gives life to the guardian statues.

In the fabricated vision, they are not statues at all - they are living giants, leaning on massive swords, each wearing an animal-themed headdress. The first, intimately familiar to Khafir, is an eagle; the scond, a wolf; the third, a ram; the fourth, a ram. They stand guard at the corners of a square arena, built on top a stone pillar rising from the sea. An arched bridge connects it to the mainland - Khafir can see a lush, verdant landscape across.

A procession is walking over the bridge, dressed in silver and gold, carrying incense, wood and trays of food with them. The head of the procession, also wearing a gold eagle mask and a feathered headdress, has in their hands a small object covered by red silk. He holds it up as he walks towards the middle of the arena, showing it to each of the giants in turn. The procession fills the arena, some set aside the food and begin sharing it around, others build a small pagoda at the center from the wood. When it is almost as tall as a man, the leader places their offering on top. His followers cheer. The crowd sets up tents and mattresses in the shade of the giants and begin celebrating.

It looks like a good time.

"Do you wish to see more?", the entity signals to its host once it is done. It knows it cannot really rouse an emotional response in her, but maybe, it can trigger an impulse to tell someone else of all this.
[Inside Khafir's Lab]

...This is new information.

So far, not entirely out of the domain of inference, and mostly the entity is confirming (or at least corroborating; she has no guarantee this is a reconstruction of an actual memory and more than a little evidence it isn't) a number of things Khafir and those among her Vigil compatriots who studied this data already suspected. But that didn't have to be the end of it.

Khafir pauses what she's currently doing, taking some time to address the entity directly. "If this is not a matter of some urgency, I would ask that you allow me some time to properly log what you are about to show me." She says flatly, standing and making her way over to the door of her laboratory. Leaning outside, she pulls a small plastic placard from her lab coat's pocket and hangs it on the outside of the door.

Testing in Progress
DO NOT DISTURB

That done, she turns her attention to a device in the back of her lab, one that passingly resembles a futuristic salon chair. The entity will not have seen her use it before, and indeed might not have been aware of its presence at all; it's been sitting in the corner, undisturbed, for the past several months, with the most acknowledgement of its existence being the red "Out of Order" tag on its control panel, which Khafir ignores as she sits down.

"This device monitors brain activity and records it for study." She explains quickly. "I can set it to tune into my visual cortex and record the images you are showing me. Do I have your consent to do this?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

It's a pleasant morning. The sun is shining and clouds are light and it's just perfect weather. Surely only made all the better when VIGIL gets a call through its official channels. Whatever they have in terms of getting in touch. It's Ilpholin! And she would be delighted if they could put her in touch with one or more of the commanders to discuss business.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Face Time]

The call will be redirected to the command center, where only the commanders and those they authorize will be able to see it. Wenomir is there, his face looking even more sour than is usual for him.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

Anika had wanted to be here but she got shut down by Cessie and Wenomir.
However, the other commander is not here either. Not physically at least. She's joining by video chat as there was parental duties that she had to attend to.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Inside Khafir's lab]

The possibility of Khafir recording her visions had eluded the entity. It takes a moment to answer because it is busy figuring out how to exploit this opportunity. Sadly, it can't come up with anything at this short of a notice. Most of its capacity is spent on keeping the image alive.

"Yes, you have my consent", it signals. As Khafir sets up her device, the entity loops back to the beginning of the image sequence, as many times as necessaey for the doctor to capture it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

That's probably just as well. The scanner makes a precise record of brain activity, but Khafir doesn't yet have a means of converting that back into a sensory simulation; any attempt at subterfuge would have to be made to account for an interpretative program that doesn't exist yet and would likely be either caught or filtered out during testing.

With the scanner in place, Khafir leans back in the chair and closes her eyes, filtering out everything that isn't her farsight or a vivid visual hallucination.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

As she shows up on the screen, Ilpholin's expression stays neutral and dignified, betraying no deeper opinion of the situation or the people.

"Wenomir. Cessie." The Phyrexian Nymph inclines her head ever so slightly in a formal greeting.

"I'm sure by now you've become acquainted with a growing cancer upon the Nexus. A blight, dark and insidious, feeding on misery. I'm certain that the only reason you haven't... taken care of the problem is that you lack the solution." Ilpholin's eyes focus on each of them in turn before continuing.

"It should come at no surprise that I have spent the last several years engineering a solution myself. I am but a single step away from enacting said solution, but I require one more thing and I would request your aid in retrieving it. With it, I believe we can finally take care of the King in Rags."
► SHOW SPOILER
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

Once the doctor is comfortable, the entity progresses the vision. Festivities seem to continue until nightfall, when they are disrupted by an explosion. The vision does not include sound, but it is conveyed through shaking of ground. The vision pans to show the bridge to the mainland has been severed. On cue, the celebrant draw previously concealed weapons and begin ritualized combat, turning against people they were just sharing food and drink with. One by one, the contestants are eliminated under the impassive watch of the giants. When only one man is left standing, he steps over the prostrating bodies of his opponents and reaches for the top of the pagoda. There, the image freezes, with the landscape surrounding the arena rising up and enclosing it, so it takes the now-familiar shape of the Octahedron armory.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

Well that was certainly unexpected. One doesn’t generally see a battle royale break out in the immediate aftermath of a feast. During, possibly, if they run out of rolls, but certainly not immediately after.

This was all definitely planned. The slaughter was a part of the celebration. A rather barbaric part, and not one she would have initially suspected, but a part nonetheless.

But to what purpose?

Presumably, the images to follow would make that clearer.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Face Time]

Wenomir is somewhat surprised that Ilpholin is calling them about the King in Rags, rather than demons. Maybe he shouldn't be. But the next obvious questions is why she wants their help. He smells a trap, but maybe there isn't one. Having a common goal with someone they need to bring to justice is enough of a bind.

"And what would that thing be?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

There is no follow up. Just the usual abandoned gloom of that bone-filled room, illuminated only by watchful eyes of its guardians.

"You must be wondering why", the entity signals, "sadly, that part is not something I can convey with images. But the object they venerated is still there. It would be simply to recover your study. As far as I can tell, your organization has near-exclusive access to the structure. At least from the outside."

It might be speaking prematurely. The outside world has not stood still while it was crafting the vision.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

Cessie's expression remains stern and the only comment she has so far is. "Go on."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

"Hm." Khafir wordlessly removes herself from the scanner and makes her way back to the display, tapping a few buttons to save the file back.

The information she got was... illuminating. Or interesting, at least. But there's no clear indication as to how this really affects the situation at all. So some people in the past, allegedly, were willing to ritualistically kill each other for whatever it is that's interred in the armory. That doesn't tell her anything about what the item is or why she should make any additional effort to retrieve it. Or, more importantly, it gives her nothing actionable to take to VIGIL's leaders so they can authorize a second expedition. And without that authorization, she'd almost certainly be going in alone; a dangerous proposition with an unacceptably high risk of ending in her demise, taking any insightful data she might collect with her.

It's noteworthy, but almost certainly only worthy of being a note.

But before she can relay these thoughts to the entity in her head, assuming it wasn't picking up on them already, her attention is rather abruptly drawn to the millipede-like creatures hanging out in the focus of her farsight.

That seems... significant.

Khafir returns to the scanner and hooks herself up again, setting about the process of making a recording of this serendipitous encounter. The commanders will almost certainly want more details than she can provide verbally.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

The doctor spots the millipedes before the entity does. It would be startling, if the entity could truly be startled. "What are those things?", it signals.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

Ilpholin continues then. "There are three things necessary to defeat the King in Rags. I possess two of them. The third is a spear, said to be Jarowit's spear. Lost and passed down through the ages. I have tracked it to the current owner, what I believe to be a false heir to Jarowit."

The nymph brushes a strand of hair away from her eyes and behind her ear. "Said false heir is making waves though and appears to have developed something of a cult of personality around himself? He's gathered a small flock I believe." They are incredibly likely to put up some resistance to someone stealing their prophet's holy weapon.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: Jan 18, 2024 5:36 am [Inside Khafir's Lab]

The doctor spots the millipedes before the entity does. It would be startling, if the entity could truly be startled. "What are those things?", it signals.
[Inside Khafir's Lab]

"I do not know." Khafir replies, watching intently. "But I suspect their presence and activities will be of considerable interest to VIGIL's commanders. I would request that you refrain from appearing in my field of view for now; we do not want any doubts anout the integrity of this recording."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Face Time]

Wenomir's eyes narrow noticeably when the name Jarowit is spoken. It's subtle and his poker face is as steady as ever, but Ilpholin may well notice.

"We know of this claimant and his weapon. Do you think it's really Jarowit's spear? And what are the other two objects?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

Cessie has her own questions for the nymph, though unlike Wenomir she has no special reaction to anything she just said. "So you've done your research, would you mind sharing what your sources for all this is? Since we've done our own share of research and it didn't turn up with this much."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

Right. Ilpholin had almost forgotten that Wenomir has something against mortals who became powerful. She would enjoy the irony, but instead continues on without pause.

"The first is on a very strict need to know basis. The second is the betrayal of someone close to him."

"Several years ago I approached the Oni responsible for Libra after she had lost her powers. Libra is something of a representation of that Oni as it were. I requested that Libra not be granted her full powers back. In exchange, I would become the Oni's representative instead. You saw this when the storm that was a part of the demonic invasion upon Riverside started becoming a tangible personification of itself. That was me. The biggest responsibility given to me by the Oni for its patronage was to watch the Nexus for reality changing threats."

"So when the King in Rags approached me some time later, seeking to recruit me and speaking fondly of the Fairest of Lands, I deemed him such a threat. It seems being a powerful nymph was enough to catch his eye, as he sought to rebuild his fey court. I recognized that traditional methods would not be enough to bring him down and seeing as he sought to usurp this plane with a whole new existence, I agreed to work for him on an entirely mercenary basis. Tit for tat, while I studied him."

"And I know with great certainty that he fears that spear, regardless of who it once belonged to."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Face Time]

This is vague enough that Wenomir is uneasy, but specific enough that he can't dismiss it. And it once again reminds him of what a force of good Ilpholin could be if her hatred for demons didn't consume her. Even if she helps defeat the King in Rags, the massacre in Hell Bend can't go unpunished.

"The betrayal of someone close to him... it already worked against him once. I can see it working again," he admits, then looks to the screen with Cessie. "If there is a chance this spear might be used against him, we have to take it. And this Jaryło might be a concern in his own right, as we discussed."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Inside Khafir's Lab]

The entity does as requested, vanishing into some dark corner of the doctor's brain. It still sees what she sees, though. Silently, it wonders if these new intruders are more of a threat or an opportunity. Did they happen on the structure by chance, or are they perhaps some old enemy of VIGIL?
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

Cessie looks at Wenomir, or what little she could see of him from her camera, and then back to Ilpholin. "Ilpholin, forgive me if I digress from the topic for a moment, but when Blanche reported back to us I got the distinct idea that your impression of us was not great. So before we continue this would you mind explaining your view of VIGIL?" She moves her hand towards Ilpholin and then back to herself in a gesture indicating a connection.

"Since I know that Miss Turath and you have an antagonistic relationship so consider this your chance to tell your side of the story. Just so we can trust one another a bit better."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

Ilpholin nods lightly towards Wenomir. There was a real chance to strike a telling blow against the King in Rags.

Cessie wants more assurances though and the nymph stares at her conservative counterpart for a moment. "Indolent. Complacent. Complicit." Ilpholin never breaks eye contact with Cessie as she answers the commander's question. "Assisting me in this would go a long way to repairing that image. Besides, I've come to understand you were somewhat recently attacked by the King in Rags. I figured you might have a personal stake in the matter."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Face Time]

Wenomir's face contorts in a way that suggests a carefully concealed growl. Before Hell Bend, Ilpholin's judgement might give him some pause, but now... no longer. She crossed the line with that attack.

"Our image... or anyone else's image... isn't the reason we're having this conversation. If a way to gain advantage against the King in Rags is in reach, we have to try taking it."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

Cessie nods in agreement with Wenomir. "And as an organization we try to refrain from making any matter 'personal'." She would go into the matter in more details but this was neither the time nor place to argue with the drow.
"So go on. You have a plan it seems but how do we fit into it exactly? Do you need us to obtain the spear for you?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

Ilpholin slowly blinks as Wenomir quickly deflects away from the question that Cessie asked only for her to swiftly back him up. If they didn't want to know, they shouldn't have brought it up.

"Uh-huh... but no, I'm not asking you to do my work for me. I can't dismiss the possibility of the King in Rags setting up a fake, so I'll have to be there to confirm it's the real one. As mentioned earlier, there should be more than Jaryło there, having built up a cult of personality. Which means people will be protecting it and him. Innocent people that will need to be temporarily subdued or incapacitated. I'm not terribly familiar with Jaryło's capabilities either, so simply having support on site could make a considerable difference. You could surely handle that. And after I've retrieved the spear, there's still the matter of getting to the King in Rags, past his sycophants and wood dragons, and using it on him. Though I figure that best discussed after step one. Unless we wanted to roll directly into it after retrieval before he has a chance to realize what's happened. Which would be fair."
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Face Time]

Wenomir's silence is a tense one. Can they trust Ilpholin? Is she really only interested in fighting the King in Rags? A part of him wants to consider it a test of how far gone she is, but the rest reminds him of Hell Bend. That crossed an irrevocable line.

"We shouldn't expect the King in Rags to be blindsided by betrayal. It already brought him down once. And planning what to do when we get the spear before we get it won't do us much good. Too much can change. Besides, a lot depends on just how justified Jaryło's claim to godhood is. I'm doubtful of it, but he obviously has some power and gathered a following. People desperate for the old gods to be back. If he was able to train them in the old martial styles, we might be up against dangerous warriors."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

"There's also the matter of the dragon." Cessie remarks once Wenomir is finished. "Since you never mentioned it in your plan, are you aware that the King is in possession of at least one? That seems like it could be relevant here. It could be guarding the spear itself or show up when he feels himself threatened."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Face Time]

"He's certainly fond of mentioning he has a dragon as a reason to support his claims of power." Ilpholin shrugs lightly. "But I don't find it particularly likely the dragon's left the King in Rag's swamp domain to hang around the urban environment the spear is in. Some dragons may be able to pull off an inconspicuous bodyguard role, but this one is closer to animal than enlightenment. The wood dragons on the other hand... well, you can see why I'm requesting your support. And the old martial arts certainly can't be underestimated." Those three brothers were quite a challenge. Their father even more so.

"So. Can I count on VIGIL, then?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Face Time]

"Perhaps not." Cessie says in response to Ilpholin dismissing the idea of the King using a dragon to guard it. "But he's shown himself capable of controlling other dragons too so its plausible that he's ensorcelled other, more subtle, beings to his cause as well. My point is that I think you should expect more than just wood dragons barring your way."

Then she looks to Wenomir as she felt with his connection to the King it was his decision if they should aid her or not.
Hopefully Ilpholin wouldn't ask about the 'other dragon'. Since they hadn't even mentioned the attack on vigil had they?