Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Courtyard - Dragons and Goblins]

"How are you sure its him? Since the nexus is full of strange beings who all can be remarkably similar to one another." Ambrosia should know, she studies all the different dragons that are around here.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

bc56 wrote: Apr 08, 2023 9:22 pm Courtyard - Sekhmet
"I, uh, it's all right." Sekhmet definitely was spooked. "I, uh, just didn't expect... Uh, you know." A armed stranger staring at her is an uncomfortable experience and she expected the worst.
[Courtyard - Sekhmet]

"It happens", Hoshiki notes, suddenly lamenting he doesn't have a drink at hand to sip. "In any case, thank you for our little talk." Sekhmet might notice he's still occasionally peering in Magtok's direction. If she doesn't restart the conversation, she might notice him start to drift away like a big dark cloud. If she makes no fuzz of it, eventually he'll vanish into the crowd, or, if she wants, she can float away herself as gracefully as the situation could allow.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard - Sekhmet
Sekhmet nods. "Uh, no problem. Bye." she lets Hoshiki leave.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 04, 2023 2:27 pm Courtyard- Felicity & Arkant

Not if it's done properly? Earl's got a vague idea that bubbles are bad in the blood stream, and introducing one into an IV is a good way to kill someone. And that's what oxygen entering the bloodstream via needle would be, an air bubble.

"He doesn't put a lot of advertisement out. He doesn't want the Guild getting their hands on any of his serum, so mostly it's spread by word-of-mouth amongst the superheroes and villains that prowl Skyside's alleyways. And adverts on obscure websites and apps and things." Felicity found him on the internet, whilst looking for a summer job. Some of the supers that bought powers from him found him the same way.
Courtyard- Felicity & Arkant

It's just my imagination that air might come through the needle, But I admit i am not firm with it.

"A very interessting fellow. But from your words I would assume Vigil would hun him down." He looks around to see that non of the higher ups is in hearing range. "If they ever act in Skyside.
If you need some other part time job, I can offer you a place to do your research."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I'm... pretty sure the higher-ups know about my employment history." Although it's feasible they don't, since she was hired as an add-on to another person who has apparently since deserted the organisation. Most of the science department know, though, as she's informed both Dr. Eun Jung-bu and Dr. Geneva Richards. "I guess because he doesn't deal with slavers and has quite a small operation he's beneath their notice, at least for now. There's more important things for Vigil to do in Skyside." Like stamp out slavery and try to prevent the near-constant gang warfare from spilling out of that city and into the others.
"Thank you for the offer, but... I think for now I'm good." Felicity smiles, and makes a note to investigate what exactly it is Arkant does, both in Vigil and in Skyside. She's learnt the hard way not to jump into such things without looking first.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

"I can't be sure." That's a lie. He is sure, deep in his bones. "But the patterns of behavior match. Our peoples have had dealings with him, usually without knowing it. The Gentry wore many faces and names back in the day."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"So how did you find out about this being then? I found him in a swamp after researching fey creatures. In particular, I was interested in his dragon. Though as it turned out, it was an elemental-class. More of a living force of nature under his command than anything else." She absentmindedly pats the strange boa she has draped over her neck and it reacts by giving a small discharge of electric energy.

Elemental, huh?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: Apr 02, 2023 10:41 am [Lizard, Worm, Bird's Eye View]

"A fascinating story", the entity signs to Khafir, "Do you think it's all true?" Not that it would be impossible, given what the entity knows of the world. But it wouldn't be out of place for someone to tell a tall tale to impress people in a party. "Do you think it all happened in this world? Go ahead. Ask it, please."
[Lizard, Worm, Bird's Eye View]

Khafir nods and starts to sign the question at Kothar, before realizing her mistake and switching back to verbal comminications. "Pardon me, sir." She begins, as cordially as she can manage without the benefit of inflections. "But my companion was wondering about some of the details of your story. Where did this happen, exactly?"
Keeper wrote: Mar 28, 2023 4:27 am Chemistry with Chef Bacon

"Well, it was mostly making sure the two of us live through the night. Maybe vaguely swaying to music." He's aware neither of them can dance. "No singing at this kind of gig." Sam certainly has a much better singing voice than his dancing ability, that's for sure.
[Chemistry with Chef Bacon]

Seconded, Eun thinks to herself. She's had dancing lessons before, and provided her teacher was being honest, she was apparently quite good at it. But given the massive bodily changes she's gone through since then (weight loss and gain, metabolic shifts from a change in diet, puberty) she doesn't trust them to hold up. And she certainly isn't going to sing when there are so many people around.

"...So... do you think we should leave?" She asks quietly. "I mean, since neither of us are really comfortable here..."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chemistry with Chef Bacon

"Aw, heck no! There's free party-food to be had that I didn't have to cook for once!" Sam insists.
"And fancy-dos in their fancy duds. I think I passed my boss in formal-wear on the way in. I've never seen him in formal wear. We could mingle just a little and people might even mistake us for classy people." he adds with a wink.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Like I said, our people have had run-ins with him. Or his servants. He seems to be spreading his influence pretty widely." He's still dancing around certain topics. "I have read that the Gentry used to command dragons. And take their shape. But those were only legends. You know, my home colony is subject to one called the Dragonbone Colony. I've never been there but they say that when goblins first came there, they found a massive dragon's skeleton."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"It seems our worlds have something in common in that regard. Since the fey used to command dragons where I'm from as well. Unlike in yours though, they never stopped." Ambrosia pauses as something Dipsnig had said regarding this colony made her realize something. "So dragons are extinct in your world then?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Mar 19, 2023 10:08 pm [Lab]

"Well, that does make things complicated." Mia says.
"I'm not going to speak things down, but whatever we assumed compromised the arm is not focusing on it. The detached arm seems to be free from anything but some 'entity' is in your body. It does focus on the place were the arm is, but I guess that it is easier for it to controll the arm then your whole body."

She doesn't seem that Happy abut the whole situation.

"If it would be on the arm I wouldn't have a problem clearing it, but that way is anotehr story. I am a high priest, but my spells are most effectiv on machines. Since this is part of something that can controll a dragon we might ask someone for backup. Or maybe the dragon itself who was influenced."
[Lab]

Awen nods, hearing the bad news.

"Ah. Okay."

She looks at her own arm, and sighs. "Well, there's no guarantee it actually came from the thing controlling the dragon, right? Maybe it's something from before, but it just became strengthened after coming in contact with it?" The witch hopes that's the case, because the thing controlling the dragon was very strong and she doesn't want it to control her, too.

Awen bites her lip.
"Well, if your spells do work on the machines effectively, maybe you could still do a spell on the mechanical arm? A spell that could keep this thing from going from my own arm into the mechanical arm. That way it won't wear down quite as quickly."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View
"In fire mountain, Vokthiss," Kothar answers. "Many leagues far from here." Is he talking about a volcano? It sounds like it. The name should be unfamiliar, it's not in the Nexus.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View]

"How would one get from here to there?", the entity asks of Khafir, again hoping she will ask Kothar in turn. Khafir might realize it is fishing for a landmark or some other datapoint to use her farsight to see the mountain.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Near as anyone can tell." Dipsnig shrugs. "There are various dragon-like creatures around, like wyverns or slyzards, but true dragons are long gone. Other species like to tell stories about great dragonslayers. Not goblins, though. It doesn't suit our character."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 11, 2023 10:49 am Courtyard- Felicity & Arkant

"I'm... pretty sure the higher-ups know about my employment history." Although it's feasible they don't, since she was hired as an add-on to another person who has apparently since deserted the organisation. Most of the science department know, though, as she's informed both Dr. Eun Jung-bu and Dr. Geneva Richards. "I guess because he doesn't deal with slavers and has quite a small operation he's beneath their notice, at least for now. There's more important things for Vigil to do in Skyside." Like stamp out slavery and try to prevent the near-constant gang warfare from spilling out of that city and into the others.
"Thank you for the offer, but... I think for now I'm good." Felicity smiles, and makes a note to investigate what exactly it is Arkant does, both in Vigil and in Skyside. She's learnt the hard way not to jump into such things without looking first.

"I don't think you can be judged for his research. A lot of people with good intentions end up with shady people, either by getting decived or having no other option." Arkant says. "It's important to know what you intentions have been while working for him. A complicated situation I think."

To her replie he just smiles. "A wise decission. I would be a bit suspiciouse if you jump at the offer immediatly." he then grabs into his jacket and puls out a business card for her. "Just call me if you have questions."

Otherwise Arkants player is out of talkative things. Smalltalk might be boring.
Thursday Violist wrote: Apr 13, 2023 2:48 am [Lab]

Awen nods, hearing the bad news.

"Ah. Okay."

She looks at her own arm, and sighs. "Well, there's no guarantee it actually came from the thing controlling the dragon, right? Maybe it's something from before, but it just became strengthened after coming in contact with it?" The witch hopes that's the case, because the thing controlling the dragon was very strong and she doesn't want it to control her, too.

Awen bites her lip.
"Well, if your spells do work on the machines effectively, maybe you could still do a spell on the mechanical arm? A spell that could keep this thing from going from my own arm into the mechanical arm. That way it won't wear down quite as quickly."
[Lab]

"No, but the chances are rather high." Mia says. "I doubt something that has been there befor would be strengthened that way. If so I can blame myself not to notice it. After all bevor we attached the arm I did a checkup for your health and there I should have seen in" (I am not sure if we did that IC, but I guess Mia at last did a check for her health. It's not normal to geth a mechanical arm attached to you.)

"Yes, that should do. I can strengthen the arm and make sure you will never loose control over it." She stops as her mind goes off and she stares into nothing. When she focus again she looks more seriouse. "Would you mind leaving the arm for a day? I have an idea which might help you stop yourself if it takes over."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"I personally include creatures by those names under a broader category of dragons but I see what you mean. They're extinct in my world as well though it's of course impossible to know for sure. Dragons just tend to be poor at hiding so once the ones they knew had died it was a safe assumption that there were no others." She falls silent for a moment.

"Of course, if I did indeed speak to him and that was one of your legendary dragons then they might not be extinct."

[The Battered Shield]

Blanche is having a beer at the bar when she happens to glance over at the tv.
Since for once it isn't showing sports. Seems like someone has put on an entertainment channel as there's a goblin presenter talking about what she assumes to be celebrities given the tone of the show.

Then just as she's about to look away again her face is suddenly on the screen.

"...has taken the islands by storm. Here’s a few of them now.”

The screen shifts to an eagle view of a small village filled with panicked villagers and that’s when Blanche will probably realize what this is. It’s the commercial she recorded a while back. Since she recognizes these goblin actors as they are running away from a mechanical godzilla-like monster that is approaching the village.
They’re really hamming it up even as they’re supposed to be screaming in terror which sets the mood for the scene.
Then the screen shifts over to her. Blanche immediately recognized herself in that outfit. Recalling how uncomfortable that snipers nest was.
Then she sees something that might make her react, the way the screen title is referring to her.
“The White Lotus
VIGIL Special Operative.”
She sees herself take aim and then fire, immediately shifting the view to the head of the robot-monster exploding.
As on cue the villagers start to cheer and soon Blanche can see herself flying over them on a hoover vehicle while hanging from a rope-ladder. She’s smiling and waving as the villagers cheer. From what she recalls from that scene, it wasn’t nearly as tough as it could have been if they had used a helicopter. The hoover vehicle wasn’t nearly as loud or tough to be under.

Then she sees herself standing leaning against the rifle she had used to blow up the monster with while prices are displayed. Ironically, this was the scene she had most retakes with since the director wanted to lean against the rifle in a rather particular way which looking at it now almost seems a bit seductive.
But that’s when the person watching aims the remote at the tv and changes back to NWE again. Oh no!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"OK, I'll do that." Felicity smiles, and takes the card. Further small talk can happen off screen.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

The King in Rags has a dragon? That's just what they needed. Dipsnig's face and ears fall briefly.

"If he's got ambitions to regain his former position, getting himself a dragon would be a logical step along the way. Though I do wonder how he found it and where."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"What makes you certain he found and didn't create this dragon, mister Razortooth? Since it sounds like he was at least able to do it before so its possible that he found whatever he needed to make another one." Ambrosia gestures to him. "Furthermore, I'm not clear on how any of this would let him regain his former position. Now, I suspect you don't either but if he would somehow, would it mean he could your people again? Since the way you're describing it, it sounds like its attached to his position somehow."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Battered Shield]

Taking another sip, Blanche's eyebrows raise a touch at the sight of the commercial. Huh. She hadn't realized it was -
The White Lotus
VIGIL Special Operative
There's a loud coughing sound as Blanche's eyes widen and she chokes on her drink. Wiping her mouth, she watches the rest of the ad, the grip of cold and mortified embarrassment coiling around her. That was how they framed the footage??? Unsteadily, she moves to get up, her mind racing. That wasn't what she'd signed up for at all! What should she even do? Call Wenomir? Talk to the producer??

[In Search of Distraction]

Anastasia arrives a few minutes early for her lesson at the training grounds today - and it is readily apparent that something is wrong. There are two Anastasias for one, both with paler eyes and a single tail. The first one carries her usual gym bag, biting her lip as she looks around in swift and small little motions for her instructor. The second follows behind, one arm wrapped around the sheath of her sword... and the other wrapped around a taller boy with a shock of blonde hair.

Once she spots him, the two girls move to approach, one behind the other. "Um - Mr. Wenomir?" The first one greets uneasily, "We're, um - here for our lessons." The other one, meanwhile, swallows and studies him nervously. Now that she was here, she wasn't sure this was a good idea after all.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Battered Shield]

"Hey, I was watching that!" Comes Anika's voice across the room and Blanche can see how she briefly struggles with the hogman holding the remote before she switches back to the ad.

Now they're showing quite a different commercial. There's a group of goblin children being harassed by what in the script was known as a "pervert" holding a gun. Originally, it was supposed to be a 'Toran-sōbu'. A group of weirdos obsessed with knowing what others had between their legs and bathrooms. But it got changed as it was considered unlikely most viewers would even know what that was anymore.

Then she comes casually walking into the scene wearing a transparent eye visor. She holds up her own gun and as the 'pervert' turns to her it fires, cleanly blasting the weapon out of his hand. This part had actually been real as she was using a 'smartgun' that had an assist aim function which allowed anyone with even some semblance of firearms experience to instantly pinpoint near-impossible targets.

Then she kicks him into a wall in a way that definitively wasn't real. Basically the actor had invisible wires attached to his clothes and when she kicked him the strings had pulled back. She follows this up by using her other foot to press up the 'pervert' against the wall. She leans close with her knee still visible in the close-up of her and his face and whispers.
"If you get close to those kids again I will -beep- you up."

The 'pervert' looks utterly terrified and looks down, causing the camera to briefly switch the view to his crotch, revealing that he's pissed himself in fear. This causes her to let go of him and he crumbles to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Apparently passing out.

She turns back to the camera, and the kids, and starts talking about the smart-gun and its functions while the children are cheering.
The tv-show then zooms out from the video to the comments as the newscaster talks. "This is by far the most popular of her ads and as you can people have had some spicy reactions."

It's clear that the majority of the comments on the video seems to be involving a debate regarding gun-reform which is of course why the tv-show has chosen to pick out the ones that have nothing to do with that.
Holy shit
Wish that was me
#LotusStruck
For once I wish I was a pervert
"And the hashtag Lotus Struck is trending like crazy now."

The view switches to a scrolling view of comments on this 'hashtag' and Blanche can briefly get a glimpse of herself in a gif of the video which eventually was cut as the 'meme' it was based on was considered too dated. Yet it seems someone still have managed to track it down.
It involves her and Anika dancing to some rather particular music.

"Wow, that's me!" Anika exclaims as she turns up the volume.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Apr 16, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Apr 12, 2023 12:44 pm Chemistry with Chef Bacon

"Aw, heck no! There's free party-food to be had that I didn't have to cook for once!" Sam insists.
"And fancy-dos in their fancy duds. I think I passed my boss in formal-wear on the way in. I've never seen him in formal wear. We could mingle just a little and people might even mistake us for classy people." he adds with a wink.
[Chemistry with Chef Bacon]

Well.

Eun can't really argue with that. Much as she might want to.

"I, um... okay, then." The scientist exhales, attempting to de-tense her shoulders. Nothing for it; she's stuck at this party, but at least she has Sam.

"If, you, um..." She starts again, before giving up any explanation and just retrieving a monocle from her Hotbox, offering Sam an uncertain smile.
bc56 wrote: Apr 14, 2023 3:11 am Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View
"In fire mountain, Vokthiss," Kothar answers. "Many leagues far from here." Is he talking about a volcano? It sounds like it. The name should be unfamiliar, it's not in the Nexus.
Hraithre wrote: Apr 14, 2023 8:20 am [Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View]

"How would one get from here to there?", the entity asks of Khafir, again hoping she will ask Kothar in turn. Khafir might realize it is fishing for a landmark or some other datapoint to use her farsight to see the mountain.

"You can't." Khafir replies simply. "I have already gone over many of the candidate landmarks. Vokthiss is not among them."

Wait.

She meant to sign that.

Whoops.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

The entity can't hear Khafir, but it does understand what she just said. It's not satisfied with that answer, it wants to hear what Kothar has to say on the matter. But, it does not sign anything new to her, because it's sure it will hear what he has to say regardless.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"As far as I can tell, having a dragon under their command was a sign of status among the Gentry a long time ago. When they were still with us." He has clearly put a lot more research into it than he's letting on. "I wouldn't know about creating them, though. What makes you think he did it?"

[In Search of Distraction]

Wenomir is waiting for Anastasia in the usual spot before his house, wearing a thin polar shirt instead of a uniform, the Answer in a sheath and held in his hand and the usual set of training aids nearby. He's very surprised to see two Anas and a boy, but being Wenomir, it's expressed in a raised eyebrow and little else for now.

"I wasn't expecting a guest today. And I certainly didn't expect you to multiply. What happened?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Humans also like to use dragons in their heraldry so that's hardly surprising. They want to associate themselves with physical power which dragons happen to represent. But I'm not saying that he created the dragon, I'm saying that it's possible. Since your gentry did create them, correct?" She tilts her head, looking at Dipsnig curiously.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[The Battered Shield]

Blanche's phone is ringing!

Caller ID says it's Reinholdt.
► SHOW SPOILER
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Lizard, Worm, Birdseye View
"What you mean?" Kothar doesn't understand what Khafir just said, but he seems to have picked up that it was insulting... Whether or not it was meant that way.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"My apologies. That was not directed at you." Khafir replies evenly. "It is not especially apparent, but you are speaking to two entities; the woman you see, and one you do not. There have been communication difficulties with the latter, as she is not quite capable of verbal responses; we communicate through hand signals. Moving from a verbal language to a somatic counterpart and back again is not a mental task with which I have had much practice. It has required some adjustment." As she speaks, Khafir's hands move to demonstrate and to make certain the entity in her head understands what she's saying; she doesn't want any further misunderstandings.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

The entity ponders for a moment what it should communicate, and to who. As Khafir converses with Kothar, it eventually notes something to her: "If it is a real place, there might be a pathway you have not considered - a path through the dark." It is referring to the Octahedron. "Every additional detail is hence useful." Of course, if the entity could plot a course to Kothar's home that way... it would imply there is an entrance into the Octahedron in that world as well.