Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Vigil

Post by Rebonack »

[Little Mew on the Run]

"I'm not sure if I would call two many but there's another you haven't met yet. Her computational medium is a portable computer/interface console. While she can be carried around easily she isn't as ambulatory as yourself or the sister you met already," Geneva informs LB-M. "I believe the intent is to transfer her into a medium that affords greater autonomy; being stuck inside a computer isn't exactly enjoyable."

It can be potentially alienating for sure.

"You have to keep in mind that the creation of all three of you wasn't really intentional. We just stumbled upon the process. But now we have a much firmer understanding of what causes you to manifest as individuals. And now that you're here we have a responsibility to ensure that you have the opportunity to grow as people."

Which, in this case, includes the requirement of getting LB-M to the cafeteria for some food.

And on a slightly different topic-

"What do you think of the idea of a nick-name? I'll admit a designation like Lightbearer-M isn't particularly euphonious."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Little Mew on the Run]

The little mew looks at Geneva wide-eyed as the scientist explains the situation. ~Ah. So they both have different bodies than I have. Very odd for sisters, but I guess stuff happens.~

LB-M slows down and rubs her nose in contemplation. ~Huh. Now that you said it aloud, it does sound like a crappy name. Hmmm. What are my sister called?~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Little Mew on the Run]

That first observation gets a laugh (and a snort) out of Geneva. Stuff happens alright.

"Boy does it ever! Sometimes the inexplicable is the NORM in the Nexus. It can make setting up proper controls for an experiment a nightmare. Did the beam splitter turn into a parakeet because of the experiment or because of a passing cloud of wild magic? Building a large enough sequestering chamber to run my tests was expensive but definitely worth it," Geneva says, more than a little mirth in her voice. "I find the process of discovery exciting. There are so many different systems interacting that teasing them apart can be challenging, but it's an enjoyable challenge."

Unfortunately a challenge that stresses Eun out sometimes.

The cafeteria begins to loom in the distance. LB-M will likely be able to smell it before she can see it.

"Light-bearer One and Light-bearer Two,"
Geneva replies. Also kind of crappy names. A bit on the impersonal side, to be sure. "I believe Doctor Bu and Mia might have felt uncomfortable giving your sisters proper names. Usually when a person names someone else there's an implication of authority and responsibility."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Little Mew on the Run]

When the smell reaches LB-M's nose, she floats higher to see further. Such a delightful mixture of strange new scents. Her mouth waters, she licks her lips and her nostril vibrate in anticipation. She almost forgets to respond to Geneva! Almost.

~Yeah those are crappy names too. I guess, since we're all based on the same program, we didn't have unique identifiers... wait. Let me check... oh, fiddlesticks. Nevermind. I no longer have the parts to check if that part ever was there. That means I'm nameless. Hmmm.~ She remains quiet in contemplation until they enter the cafeteria. When they do, she excitedly floats towards the nearest visible dish, giving it a good sniff and a good look.

~Hmmm. What is that? What are those? What what what what?~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Little Mew on the Run]

A VERY delightful mixture of new scents. Some pungent, some spicy, some buttery, some sweet. It's really quite the variety.

"If you like I could make a name for you. It wouldn't be unreasonable to say that you're my responsibility, at least a BIT. After all, it was my experiment that caused your manifestation. And my mDNA that you used to help fashion your body," Geneva points out. "Or you could try creating your own. That isn't a usually how names are done, but you aren't usual either."

But then!

Food!

LB-M will find an adventurer mid-meal leaning away from the tiny creature hovering in his personal space.

"I believe that's garlic nan bread and a lamb-kabob," Geneva replies. Then offers the adventurer an apologetic smile. "Sorry, she's curious and harmless. Come over this way, we'll let these people enjoy their lunch. The counter space with the glass cover is where we get our food."

She'll head over toward the cafeteria counter, gesturing for LB-M to follow. The food has a pretty strong bias toward Indian cuisine, so the melody of spices is powerful.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Little Mew on the Run]

Ah, tiny animals coming to steal your meal, a constant threat of adventuring. LB-M stares hungrily at the food for a moment, before floating off to follow Geneva. ~I think I would like that bread for a start~, she broadcasts, ~but I think I'd like to try a bit of every-thi-ng... o-h-sor-ry...~ This close to the counter, the scents are growing stronger. Perhaps a bit too strong. The little mew's eyes water and she begins blinking rapidly. She draws in air in short bursts and then sneezes, making a faint "tsiff" sound. This repeats a few times, before she thinks to hover away and land on a far-away table. There, she sits, scrubbing her nose with her eyes closed, shedding tiny tiny tears. Indian cuisine day may have been a bit much for a fresh baby Pokemon.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[In Search of a Distraction]

Wenomir regards the boy... who isn't much shorter than he is. Growing quickly, it seems. And Anastasia is obviously fond of him. He's been supportive of her throughout the entire ordeal, too, which is to be respected.

"I am a busy man, but that just means I have to take some time for personal projects. I do need to be selective about my students. But Anastasia has what I'm looking for in one. She shows a lot of promise."

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"Oh, I can readily believe that." Wenomir seems only mildly surprised. "Such things just happen around here. But we'll go there if we can't find you."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Little Mew on the Run]

Ah, the dangers of really spicy food.

Not kind to really strong senses of smell.

Geneva gives LB-M a sympathetic look. It hadn't occurred to her that the VERY spicy food would have that reaction! Granted, she's never actually BEEN in the cafeteria while a mew; she's pretty much always here in human form. After all, the chairs aren't really made for cat-sized floating animals. Let alone mouse sized ones.

~I'll get something a bit more mild for us,~
Geneva helpfully sends back. A few minutes of weeping and rubbing later, Geneva will approach their table with a selection of breads (that are easier on the spaces) and a plate of diced chicken and rice with coconut sauce. Some of the breads are stuffed with meat or vegetables while others are just the plain bread.

She gives a well meaning laugh as she scoots a plate of various small breads that are still as large as LB-M toward her. "It looks like you're about as tolerant of really spicy food as I am."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arkhosia wrote: May 03, 2023 5:20 am [The Battered Shield]

While the sign-off brings a genuine smile to the corner of her lips, Blanche can't help a slight wince. She wasn't a fan of the way both of her fathers talked about each other even when she knew the all sordid reasons why. And her experience with Magtok made it hard to agree. Sure, the man could be aggravating, full of himself and hard to get to take you seriously. But it was hard to hate him when she hadn't seen her mother this happy in years.

With these complicated emotions roiling through her mind, Anika's entrance comes entirely and uncharacteristically unanticipated. It's enough to make Blanche jump in her seat and whirl around. "Oh! Er, heyyyy Anika." The expression is cheery and awkward. She shrugs. "He... did, I guess? I didn't really, er, catch much of it though."
bc56 wrote: May 02, 2023 2:36 am Courtyard: D&D
"There are other duties a princess should, uh, attend to. Uh, mostly ceremonial ones," Sekhmet explains. But there's a much more interesting question. "She wants to be an artist," Sekhmet sounds genuinely proud of her daughter. "She does the most amazing work with oil and canvas, and my husband is teaching her sculpture on the side. I'd, uh, teach her metalwork as well, but she's not interested."
[The Battered Shield]

"Aw, man. That sucks." Anika gently ruffles Blanche's hair. "But super-cool that your dad approves at least." Her eyebrows raise as she meets Blanche's gaze, sensing some hesitation there. "We could probably look up the clip though. At the end they said they even said they would have an 'interview' with you soon. That means they're going to go and talk to you, right? Sounds pretty important!"

Courtyard: D&D

"So your people are as prone to ceremonies as many human cultures then? Fascinating. Are they ordinary ceremonies or do they have significance beyond simple cultural expression? Since fate seems to enforce your lives I could see people wanting to appease it to some degree. Or perhaps you have other religious figures?" She wasn't quite sure if 'fate' was an actual thing or something Sekhmet simply believed in. But it was probably best not to question it.

But it was best to bring back the topic to Mary again. "If these ceremonies are anything like the ones I've seen then there's at least inspiration for a up-coming artist like Mary to be had there." Which begged the question what succubi ceremonies were like. Hopefully they didn't involve that thing succubi were most known for.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"You do that. I wish you a good and productive evening." Hoshiki bows to Wenomir and takes his leave, going to find some ride back home. Hah, home. Such a funny thing to call a house he effectively stole. But for now, it's what he has.

---

[Little Mew's Culinary Adventures]

~So-sorry. I ha-haven't eaten anything b-before. I didn't know the smell could be so strong~, LB-M broadcasts. She takes a moment to recover and open her eyes. When she does, she gives a curious look at the breads. She pokes one piece with her paws a few times before lifting it up and giving it a nibble. ~Ooh, soft.~

The piece is indeed as large as her. Just a few bites are enough to puff her cheeks, making her look like a greedy blue squirrel or such. Halfway through the bread, she's visibly rounder than before. She stops for a moment and taps her tiny belly. ~Ah, I'm full.~

Then, something interesting happens. She stretches her limbs and body and shakes her neck, squeezing herself into a different shape as if made of soft clay. It's not unheard of, many Pokemon can change their size and mew in particular is one of the few species capable of changing shape entirely. In half a minute, LB-M's proportions are normal, but she's slightly larger in every dimension. ~Ah, now I'm hungry again.~

She proceeds to devour rest of her bread and then a whole another piece. Then the process repeats. Overall, she consumes maybe three hundred grams of food, but given how small she was, that constitutes tripling or maybe quadrupling her mass. ~Okay, now I'm really full. Very good breads those. What was in them?~
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"They, uh, serve to pass the time. Distract from the monotony of eternal existence." Calling it "life" is a stretch. They aren't really alive, per se. "My mother's festivals were, uh, depraved. I've done away with that, but, I, uh, still don't want a child dealing with succubi and incubi on a regular basis." Sekhmet frowns. "Of course the fact that I forbid it draws her interest to them."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Morty wrote: May 07, 2023 10:12 pm [In Search of a Distraction]

Wenomir regards the boy... who isn't much shorter than he is. Growing quickly, it seems. And Anastasia is obviously fond of him. He's been supportive of her throughout the entire ordeal, too, which is to be respected.

"I am a busy man, but that just means I have to take some time for personal projects. I do need to be selective about my students. But Anastasia has what I'm looking for in one. She shows a lot of promise."
[In Search of a Distraction]

Eliseo smiles at that. He likes to hear good things about his girlfriend. "Fair enough. I get it, though. I've been helping out with the junior basketball practices a bit recently. But I mean, someone's gotta make sure the team doesn't go to shit when I graduate in a couple years." He jests with a wink. "Next generation and all that. Stuff's important."
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Geneva, meanwhile, focuses mostly on the plate of rice and chicken occasionally scooping some onto a piece of nan bread to enjoy both together. It isn't quite as dramatic as a tiny creature devouring several times her own volume and growing.

Suffice to say Geneva is a bit surprised when that happens. And fascinated. She isn't actually aware of how an infant mew grows. Or whether or not this is normal. She was born human and only later was taught how to transform. Only once she was old enough to have a fairly strong grasp on her psychic abilities. After all, they can be dangerous when getting thrown around by a child.

IS this normal?

It could be?

Given the fact that mews have such fine control over their ability to transform maybe this is just how it works in infant mews that don't hatch as some other species initially?

Such interesting questions. Maybe she could try looking into that subject further?

"The first one was a regular nan bread. The second was stuffed with minced, sauteed vegetables. I made sure to pick the least spicy items since you apparently share my intolerance for extremely spicy foods,"
Geneva admits. "I'm curious, when you grew just now did that take any conscious effort on your part? Or did it happen reflexively?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 04, 2023 9:55 pm [Courtyard]

Luckily for Arkant, it seems people won't investigate him so long as there's still the worse things going on in Skyside.

"I'm not afraid of being eaten," Awen says.
She looks over at all the wealthier and more famous people at this party.
"But...well, they all look busy, hanging out with people they know and other famous people. I don't really want to interrupt them and stand out as the only person who doesn't belong..."

Is most of the problem just in her head? Yes.
[Courtyard]

They just don't know what 'worst' is Muhahahahha. Eh nothing here.

"Those people allways look busy." Vutha says "That is their whole job, if you get what I mean. Just remember they are all normal people as well. A lot of people aren't open and go to people they don't know. Also you have to think about their position. They don't know your a member here. You might as well just acompany someone or even be an investor. If you want I can acompany you as backup."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

The little mew mulls over the question, her tail swishing from side to side. ~I don't know. Maybe a bit of both?~, she answers. ~It just felt a little cramped inside my skin, so I stretched a little to make more room. But I think it would've happened on its own, maybe the next time I sleep. Can't say much more than that. It's not like when I was a machine, I cannot look inside myself and see exactly how things work anymore.~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Well, that's certainly fascinating. I can't say that I've ever experienced a growth spurt like that," Geneva muses thoughtfully, poking at her chicken with a fork. "But then again, your genesis was a little unusual, too. Maybe not the strangest, but still unusual."

Mewtwo's was definitely stranger.

After all, creating him had been accomplished by altering mew DNA itself. Usually mew DNA is passed on with no real modifications and simply functions as mitochondrial DNA until it's activated via Transform. Save for random point mutations, all mew DNA is identical and passed materially. The only real difference between mews is what the DNA of their host-species is. Which, granted, can make quite a difference! A human-mew and a ratatta-mew are going to have wildly different cognitive abilities.

Regardless! Geneva works on finishing up her meal.

"Now that you've eaten for the first time do you have any further plans for the afternoon?" Geneva asks, a wry smile tugging at the corner of her mouth. LB-M hasn't really done anything before and has a wide open horizon of new experiences ahead of her.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: May 08, 2023 11:36 pm Courtyard: D&D
"They, uh, serve to pass the time. Distract from the monotony of eternal existence." Calling it "life" is a stretch. They aren't really alive, per se. "My mother's festivals were, uh, depraved. I've done away with that, but, I, uh, still don't want a child dealing with succubi and incubi on a regular basis." Sekhmet frowns. "Of course the fact that I forbid it draws her interest to them."

Pass the time? Had to be Sekhemet's interpretation of the purpose of the ceremonies. Usually people at least pretended that they had some greater purpose than the social and, well, time wasting aspects of them. "Seems to be that she should at least get the chance to understand the people that she's supposed to rule over." Ambrosia comments. "Since she's supposed to at least in part serve their interests too, no? Keeping them apart by force will probably not work long term. Eventually she's going to meet up with them one way or another."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: May 09, 2023 9:00 am [Courtyard]

They just don't know what 'worst' is Muhahahahha. Eh nothing here.

"Those people allways look busy." Vutha says "That is their whole job, if you get what I mean. Just remember they are all normal people as well. A lot of people aren't open and go to people they don't know. Also you have to think about their position. They don't know your a member here. You might as well just acompany someone or even be an investor. If you want I can acompany you as backup."

[Courtyard]

Awen nods. "You're...probably right," she concedes.

The witch looks around the courtyard.
She takes a step towards someone, then stops herself. Wait, that person doesn't look like they want to be talked to.
She looks around for someone else.
Gosh, it's so hard to just approach someone! How do people do it?
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

LB-M rubs her nose in contemplation. ~I have ideas. Biiig ideas. Too big for my brain. I need something to draw on to sort them out. Oh, and you said there's a book of names? I'd like that also. I can think of my name while I doodle.~ As she broadcasts this, she reaches for another piece of bread and picks it up with her tail. ~Oh, I think I have room for one more after all.~
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Room for more is always possible when you physically get bigger after eating something rather than digesting it properly. There's clearly something going on here which Geneva isn't totally clear on. Though she IS curious about it. Too bad her expertise isn't in biology.

"Getting a drawing pad for you shouldn't be very difficult," Geneva reasons. "I don't have a book of names but there ARE useful archives of names and meanings of names that you could use as a reference if you like. That could be pulled up on most any computer with network access in VIGIL."

Geneva's finishing up her chicken and rice and moves on to one of the chicken and vegetable breads. More wonderful lunch.

"Actually... let me see if I have one in my inventory spell," Geneva mutters with the bread half way stuffed in her mouth. It... doesn't look like she's really doing anything. Her eyes are twitching a little? Like she's reading something in front of her. "Ah! There. I used to hoard all sorts of things in the Wasteland before I made it to the Nexus. I should really clean my inventory out some time..."

As she speaks she reaches into her lab-coat pocket and withdraws a standard writing pad and a pencil from a pocket that definitely shouldn't be able to hold it. She sets them down on the table to see what LB-M decides to do with them.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"She's met some of them," Sekhmet replies, "But for her safety, I can't let them too close to her. Not until she's an adult." Sekhmet seems firm on that point. "They're dangerous people. They didn't get to Hell by being nice and helpful."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"Wouldn't that make it even more important to educate her about them? And I mean more than just book-knowledge. Since as much as I love theory I don't think it would satisfy her curiosity in this case. Perhaps you could ask her if she wants to meet them in a more controlled manner. With people that you trust by her side." Ambrosia suggests. "Probably in a space that you have some control over."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Little Mew's Artistic Escapades]

LB-M tilts her head. ~Inventory... spell?~ She has no idea what Geneva is on about. But she's happy to accept the writing pad! She grabs the pencil with her tail, as it has longer reach. She still has to use her paws too to control it, because the pencil is as long as she is tall. She has to walk around the pad to reach every part of it.

As she does, she doodles what looks like some kind of spongy mass... a brain, perhaps? It's surrounded by little spheres. Eggs, as it turns out, when she draws a hairy worm thing hatching from one of them. She looks at this picture for a moment, then grabs edge of the paper and drags it to the side to reveal a fresh page. She then starts sketching what looks like an anatomical study of a mew, or, well, how an anatomical study of a mew would look like if drawn by a ten year old.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"That's, uh, what I meant when I said she's met them," Sekhmet answers. "It, uh, has been a while. Last time, it was with the palace clothier for a fitting." Mary needed clothes that could accommodate shapeshifting. "I can't leave them alone with her, that's certain."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Pardon me."

From anyone else, it would probably sound passably polite. But from the dark-haired woman taking a seat across Geneva, it almost sounds like an ordern instead of the sound made when one recognizes a necessary inconvenience. Shs glances briefly off to the side, as though nodding to some unseen spectator, before returning her attention to the mew and its creation. She's brought along a lunch of her own; some kind of curry, it seems.

Khafir folds her hands over her mouth and watches the proceedings. She's going to imminently have questions... but for now, nothing more to say than that minimal attempt at an introduction.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"A means of storing objects for retrieval in a pocket space. It's a significantly less advanced version of the 'simulation' space you and I met in," Geneva sort of explains. That isn't a totally accurate description but for the purpose of sating curiosity it's probably sufficient. To Geneva's knowledge LB-M wouldn't have been designed with any knowledge of arcane science and technology, so trying to provide details without the requisite groundwork would be like trying to explain integrated circuits to someone with no background in semi-conductor technology.

Then?

She watches the doodles. Mostly because it's fascinating. The way LB-M is choosing to express her ideas is without a doubt something worth noting. There doesn't appear to be any inbuilt knowledge of drawing, that much is clear. But she's certainly trying.

But then!

"Oh, good afternoon Doctor Khafir would you care to join us?" Geneva asks, mostly out of politeness to make it clear that she doesn't view this as an intrusion.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Even if there was in-built drawing skill to LB-M, it would be optimized to a human bodyplan, not a mew. Geneva is watching her trying to put her fine motor skills into this use for the very first time. She remains totally focused to her task, not commenting on Geneva's explanation or Khafir's arrival. She tries putting some details on her anatomy drawing, but when it doesn't really work out the way she wanted, she starts anew on a blank page. She hasn't figured she can erase pencil lines yet, if Geneva's pencil even has an eraser at the other end.

Khafir's mental passenger is captivated by LB-M's actions. "What... is that thing?" On its part, the entity has gotten better at communicating with Khafir. It no longer requires her to see her reflection. It has learned to encode its desired message into her peripheral vision - a bit distracting, maybe, since no-one is ever really there, but adequate. "Why is it planning those kinds of alterations to itself?" The finer parts of LB-M's drawings have caught its attention. Khafir might get the impression that it knows what the tiny mew is trying to do.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Good afternoon, Doctor Richards." Khafir reciprocates, giving her colleague a little nod of acknowledgement.

She finds herself agreeing with her passenger; those are indeed some interesting modifications... though she probably isn't thinking of it the same way her companion is.

"Interesting." She notes, circling a completed and unattended portion of the drawing. "As of recent, I have found myself quite involved in the study of dataforms. The AIs in Doctor Bu's care are obvious examples, but there are also the cognimorphs in my own lab. In both cases, there is little distinction between willing a change and seeing it done; the nature of data makes it rather simplistic to execute a planned change." She looks up at the mew. "You have the capacity for self-alteration, correct?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

She's really focused, isn't she?

Good for LB-M to really give her goals all that she's got. That kind of drive is always admirable.

Geneva recognizes the alterations that LB-M is trying to depict, or rather that she's trying to depict alterations, but she isn't sure what they're actually FOR. Geneva's areas of expertise are fairly narrow, though her depth more than makes up for it. She isn't a polymath like Doctor Bu. But what she does excels at she REALLY excels at.

Thus, Geneva begins working on one of the dumplings while Doctor Khafir asks a few questions of LB-M. While Geneva is well acquainted with her own applications of Transform she doesn't know if LB-M's own abilities are similar or not. Typically a young mew can use Transform upon hatching. It comes second nature to them. But LB-M is hardly typical.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

The tiny mew freezes for a second when Khafir's hand near her drawing. She contemplates how to anwer for a moment. ~Oh, these alterations? I already did them, before taking this form. I'm just trying to put all my ideas of them down somwhere, before I forget. I can't see inside myself at the moment to check if everything is as planned.~ Geneva might realize she's talking of her implants, her drawing skills just aren't good enough to illustrate them as more than vague scribbles. ~If you mean other alterations? I'm not sure. I haven't tried yet. I think I have to grow bigger before I try.~