Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Academy]

"Bye-bye ladybug, see you again at home." Cessie waves her daughter good-bye before blowing her a kiss and turning off the communicator. Then she turns to Wenomir with a smile. "So what are we doing today? We left off at funding last time I believe."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Gullara wrote: May 23, 2023 4:24 am [In Search of a Distraction]

"Huh, it's your pet? I guess not the weirdest pet I ever heard of." Eliseo grants. He's spent his whole life in the Nexus, that's to be expected. "Where do you even get one of those, though?"
[In Search of Distraction]

It’s around now that Anastasia returns to the training grounds. She’s dressed in the same shirt and skirt that Stasia had arrived in, gym bag slung across one shoulder and sword over the other. At first she seems to watch Wenomir, Eliseo and Coco for a moment, as if nervous to interrupt. Once one of them spots her, she offers a wan smile. ”Um, hey.”
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[The Academy]

Through heroic effort, Wenomir smiles as he waves at Jillian.

"Bye, Jillian. It was good to see you."

When Cessie's daughter is gone, his expression falls again but at least it doesn't look like it'd make milk curdle when he looks at it.

"Yes, and we need to discuss it further. But I have a concerning report." He puts a file on the table. "Some of our people were patrolling outlying towns and settlements. They heard about a deity calling himself Jaryło. And proclaiming to be an inheritor of Jarowit... by right of owning his spear." Wenomir huffs. "Jarowit is the old god of war from my homeland. When the King in Rags forced Ambrosia to attack us, she imagined I was him."

"Ah, Anastasia. You're back, I see."

As she comes back, Coco enthusiastically trots up to her, reaching up with her head and cooing.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard: D&D
Sekhmet nods. "I've spoken with him before. What he's doing is very impressive." She genuinely believes that, but of course she has little to compare it against. She doesn't know much about industry.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Little Mew's Artistic Escapades]

Having important information in written form is always handy. That way you don't have to remember it yourself!

Geneva listens curiously to the description of the implants. All those things make quite a bit of sense! And as for the drawing, "That's just an issue with practice. Artistic ability takes time to cultivate. You still did a good job for you first try, but with a little more work your drawing skills will keep improving! That's just part of being alive. It's all about the growth, especially when you're stills mall."

And LB-M is very, very small.

At the mention of projects Geneva certainly continues to be curious. "Acoustic levitation? Interesting... That usually requires precisely positioned sound-sources to work. There was a machine of some kind that was aiding Magtok Prime that utilized that sort of technology, though I wasn't able to actually study it to figure out how it was projecting sound so precisely."

There was kind of a pitched battle going on at the time.

"Most pokemon abilities act on the underlying data-structure of reality, if you want to get technical. Psychic abilities, specifically, create very precise kinetic or electro-chemical forces depending on the application. Acoustic levitation could replicate the end result of telekinesis but the mechanisms involved are pretty different."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

LB-M stops drawing to listen to this discussion, visibly confused. ~I can imagine how it would work in principle, but it would either be very weak movement, or my sister is the size of a house and somehow you've omitted that. Now I really want to see her.~ She floats off the table and does a little circle around Khafir.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: May 23, 2023 5:33 pm [In Search of Distraction]

It’s around now that Anastasia returns to the training grounds. She’s dressed in the same shirt and skirt that Stasia had arrived in, gym bag slung across one shoulder and sword over the other. At first she seems to watch Wenomir, Eliseo and Coco for a moment, as if nervous to interrupt. Once one of them spots her, she offers a wan smile. ”Um, hey.”
Morty wrote: May 23, 2023 6:17 pm [In Search of Distraction]

"Ah, Anastasia. You're back, I see."

As she comes back, Coco enthusiastically trots up to her, reaching up with her head and cooing.

Eliseo turns and his face lights up when he sees Ana. "Hey babe." He greets warmly, and he'll hold out his hand for her to take when she gets closer. "Did you know he had a pet raptor?" He leans in conspiratorially. "Kinda reminds me of someone we know."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: May 23, 2023 6:17 pm [The Academy]

Through heroic effort, Wenomir smiles as he waves at Jillian.

"Bye, Jillian. It was good to see you."

When Cessie's daughter is gone, his expression falls again but at least it doesn't look like it'd make milk curdle when he looks at it.

"Yes, and we need to discuss it further. But I have a concerning report." He puts a file on the table. "Some of our people were patrolling outlying towns and settlements. They heard about a deity calling himself Jaryło. And proclaiming to be an inheritor of Jarowit... by right of owning his spear." Wenomir huffs. "Jarowit is the old god of war from my homeland. When the King in Rags forced Ambrosia to attack us, she imagined I was him."
[The Academy]

Cessie raises an eyebrow at this report though she doesn't appear too concerned yet. Since she had expected something far worse when Wenomir was plagued by that expression. "When you say that a deity is proclaiming this do you know if there's an actual god walking around or just someone claiming to be? Or is this simply something that's being claimed by this faith's followers?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 22, 2023 2:36 pm [Courtyard: D&D]

"I know of him." Ambrosia remarks as she hears the name Arkant. "More than just a business I'm pretty sure. Several of them in fact. Though they might all be under the same name." She briefly looks to Awen's fox as it comes picking up the holy symbol. Was that... associated to the fox-church in Inside that she had heard so much about? She couldn't think of anything else though in the nexus there was a million of possibilities so it was hard to assume anything.

"I heard there was a love potion crisis hitting Skyside the other day. A necromantic villain had tainted the milk supply of the city." There was a pun she realized the moment she had said the words. But she wasn't going to bring attention to it. "Is that sort of disasters common in Skyside, miss Vuntha? Since I heard that actual cow milk is hard to come by which is why it spread so fast." It also sounded like something Sekhmet might be aware of considering her position and, well, the kind of servants she had.
Zefir wrote: May 23, 2023 7:24 am Courtyard: D&D

"Yes, he has developed several companys to give the people work." the dragon lady replies.
She does look a little suprised at the incident Ambrosia mentions, mainly because her player has missed that.
"I'm sorry, but I didn't heared of this incident." she says. "I guess we weren't hit by that because we have our own supply chain for food. As for you question, don't think such disaster hit Skyside often. Since slavery is extremly dominant there such things might fall under it or the people there act mire radical then in other places."

Arkant is around having a drink. He is likly to far away to hear them, but shot after Ambrosia mentions the incident he get's a call he attends to.
bc56 wrote: May 24, 2023 2:13 am Courtyard: D&D
Sekhmet nods. "I've spoken with him before. What he's doing is very impressive." She genuinely believes that, but of course she has little to compare it against. She doesn't know much about industry.

[Courtyard D&D]

Wow.
Is Awen the only one here who had never heard of Arkant before today?
Awen tries her best to not look lost or out-of-the-loop.

"No wonder she's a villain," Awen comments, latching onto something she can understand. "Drugging people with love potions sounds incredibly villainous."

She makes a note to avoid milk, just in case there's still a supply of it floating around.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Anastasia's all too happy to clasp Eliseo's hand in her own, her smile getting a touch brighter at the contact. She lights up further when Coco waddles forward, kneeling down and offering it a friendly scritch under the chin like she assumes all animals tend to like. It's certainly worked for her when in fox form.

"No, I had no idea!" She glances back. "A-am I doing this right? I've, uh, never really been around pets that much. O-or, um, raptors." Eliseo's commentary takes her a moment to click - but eventually she raises a hand to cover a sudden titter of laughter as if she's just been told something scandalously hilarious.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 27, 2023 3:42 am [Courtyard D&D]

Wow.
Is Awen the only one here who had never heard of Arkant before today?
Awen tries her best to not look lost or out-of-the-loop.

"No wonder she's a villain," Awen comments, latching onto something she can understand. "Drugging people with love potions sounds incredibly villainous."

She makes a note to avoid milk, just in case there's still a supply of it floating around.
Zefir wrote: May 23, 2023 7:24 am Courtyard: D&D

"Yes, he has developed several companys to give the people work." the dragon lady replies.
She does look a little suprised at the incident Ambrosia mentions, mainly because her player has missed that.
"I'm sorry, but I didn't heared of this incident." she says. "I guess we weren't hit by that because we have our own supply chain for food. As for you question, don't think such disaster hit Skyside often. Since slavery is extremly dominant there such things might fall under it or the people there act mire radical then in other places."

Arkant is around having a drink. He is likly to far away to hear them, but shot after Ambrosia mentions the incident he get's a call he attends to.
bc56 wrote: May 24, 2023 2:13 am Courtyard: D&D
[Courtyard D&D]

Well, someone just mentioned slavery so it was hard to steer the conversation anywhere else at this point.
"Just how is he running his industries though?" Ambrosia inquires as Sekhmet calls Arkant's work 'impressive'. "Companies are based on profit so I can't imagine he came to a city completely free of any regulations to spread good-will to its population." She gives Vuntha a skeptical look.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 22, 2023 4:12 pm [The Battered Shield]

"Oh, you mean Mag-tok? Well, what if you invited them both on a trip or dinner with you but didn't say that the other one was coming? Then they have to get along with one another since you'd be there to keep an eye on them." Anika suggests even as Blanche is freaking out about what she just had told her.

"Don't worry, that just means they're going to contact you any day now, right? Easy!" A beat. "Don't you want an interview? You could tell them to stop being so weird about you."
[The Battered Shield]

"Maybe," Blanche concedes, "But knowing them I'd have to spend the whole time making sure they don't try to stab each other or slip something into each other's drinks or something. I don't think it would work out very well."

Anika's next point seems to surprise Blanche. "I guess, or they'll just try to surprise me and corner me somewhere. It's anyone's guess. I'm... not really good at talking to people though, y'know?" She shrugs. "I can try to say that if it happens though. Assuming they do listen to me instead of continuing to be like that." The woman can't help but smile. It was nice having Anika's relentless optimism on her side like this.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Battered Shield]

"Whoa, so they wanna kill each other?!" Anika's amber eyes widens. "I didn't think it was that bad!" Yikes.

"But you're alright at talking to people I think. Didn't you say that the commanders asked for your advice when they were talking to that dragon? Since that means... uh, well... goblins and dragons aren't too different are they? Both want a lot of stuff and think they're the most powerful thing in the world. Plus, we've already talked to a whole bunch of goblins already. How hard can it be to talk to a few more? I mean, we even got a couple of goblin members."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard: D&D
Sekhmet shudders at the talk of love potions. "It's despicable." If even a succubus doesn't like the idea of love potions, they've got to be really terrible. But Sekhmet isn't exactly a typical succubus.
Even if Sekhmet's been to one of Arkant's factories, she doesn't know much about how they're run, so that question is for Vutha alone.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[The Battered Shield]

"I dunno. I don't think they're at each other's throats like that anymore," Blanche concedes, "but from what I've heard they definitely used to, even back when I was a kid. I feel like there's still enough animosity that forcing them into the same space for a long while like that is just asking for trouble." She sighs. Is it really that much to want everyone in her weird, strange web of family to get along?

"And yeah, I'm good at consulting I suppose, but... I dunno." It was hard to articulate her lack of confidence in the area. It still didn't feel like a comfort zone for her even after all these years. "Maybe you're right though. I suppose it can't hurt too much."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Morty

Post by Morty »

Anastasia's efforts seem to be going in the right direction, as Coco chips with contentment.

"She seems to like it. I got Coco when Koshal, Cassandra and Lucien conspired to get me a pet." He might be embellishing just slightly. "Cassandra is my partner and Lucien is their little brother. And Anastasia has met Koshal, of course."
AshenAmbrosia
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: she/her

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 18, 2023 8:18 am [Courtyard - Mages]

"Wenomir is a man of surprises." Cessie agrees and takes a glance at Wenomir as she spots him in the distance talking to Hoshiki. "There was a time when the people we fought underestimated him constantly but now I'm pretty sure he's about to get his own fanclub once Cora get a bit older." She gives Cass a knowing glance. "Since I don't think I need to tell you that she's hardly his only fan. Lucien has gotten pretty attached to him too, hasn't he?"
[Courtyard - Mages]

"A little," says Cass, seeming surprised as her younger brother is brought up. "He doesn't exactly have a lot of male rolemodels in his life, though. Just Wenomir and his older brother..."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Battered Shield]

"Yeah! In fact, I say you call in and give them a piece of their mind right away rather than letting it hang over your head like... a bird that's about to poop. Something like that." Anika suggests. "Oh! Maybe if you had a few more of those beers it would be easier?" She gestures at the one Blanche had been drinking.

[Courtyard - Mages]

"Neither did any of my children and they turned out more than alright." Cessie remarks even if they were hardly grown yet. "So I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. But that said, I can't imagine Wenomir being anything but a positive influence on him. Despite not having any children himself he shows a great deal of care for them. You can tell that he's more than a little enthusiastic about teaching Cora and it shows. Since part of her own enthusiasms is due to him I suspect." Cessie glances in Wenomir's direction. "Since as much as he tries to temper it in her his own still shines through I think."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Academy]

This is indeed fairly low on the scale of threats Vigil faces. Wenomir's rancor stems from personal grievance.

"I don't know if he's an actual god. I don't know how one defines a real deity. But he appeared in person and in visions, proclaiming himself Jarowit's heir. He does have a spear that matches the legends of Jarowit's weapons. And he displayed powers befitting a god of war."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 27, 2023 3:03 pm [Courtyard D&D]

Well, someone just mentioned slavery so it was hard to steer the conversation anywhere else at this point.
"Just how is he running his industries though?" Ambrosia inquires as Sekhmet calls Arkant's work 'impressive'. "Companies are based on profit so I can't imagine he came to a city completely free of any regulations to spread good-will to its population." She gives Vuntha a skeptical look.
[Courtyard D&D]

"I'm sorry, I wan't there when he first arrived at the city." Vutha says. "From my knowledge he bougth slaves and offered them a normal Job. With enougth time he was able to aquire land and indsutry to start up his brand. It is known that he does pay those people less then you would get in other citys, but he offers them a safe place to live in their city without the fear of getting enslaved. Mrs Sekhmet might approve this. "
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Academy]

"Which are? Actually, before you answer that, who told you all this? Since even if it's our own agents I doubt they would know that much of the legends that you speak of, or what Jarowit's spear looks like, unless they're from your world as well. It sounds to me like they're retelling the stories of others which are probably not all that reliable." Cessie remarks, applying some critical thinking to these reports.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Academy]

"Our people gave me a report and I cross-referenced it with what we know about Jarowit." Wenomir does dimly realize that he's taking it far too personally. "He has displayed feats of martial prowess and power over lightning. Some myths have ascribed the latter to Jarowit. I think it's enough to be concerned, at least. A war deity can get up to a lot of trouble."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Academy]

"Okay, I think you have to explain why it is a concern to me though. Since it feels like I'm lacking some context here. Is he encouraging them to do violence?" Cessie inquires.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Courtyard D&D]

On one hand, Awen feels awkward for approaching people but having nothing to say.
On another hand, Awen feels relief because at least this time she has an excuse for not saying anything: she actually doesn't know the topic that well.

Well, she feels just a little bit of sistership with Sekhmet, who doesn't seem have that much to comment of Arkant, either. Well, not exactly, since at least Sekhmet has spoken with him before, so it's not exactly the same.

In recognition of that limited amount of comradery, Awen inches a little closer to Sekhmet, as Ambrosia and Vuntha discuss Arkant's factories. In order to not interrupt or distract from the more-important conversation on Skyside policies, the witch drops her voice to a whisper and asks Sekhmet, "I'm afraid that I don't know much about Vigil's guests here: so may I ask, what is it you do?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: May 27, 2023 4:17 am [In Search of Distraction]

Anastasia's all too happy to clasp Eliseo's hand in her own, her smile getting a touch brighter at the contact. She lights up further when Coco waddles forward, kneeling down and offering it a friendly scritch under the chin like she assumes all animals tend to like. It's certainly worked for her when in fox form.

"No, I had no idea!" She glances back. "A-am I doing this right? I've, uh, never really been around pets that much. O-or, um, raptors." Eliseo's commentary takes her a moment to click - but eventually she raises a hand to cover a sudden titter of laughter as if she's just been told something scandalously hilarious.
Morty wrote: May 29, 2023 3:47 pm [In Search of Distraction]

Anastasia's efforts seem to be going in the right direction, as Coco chips with contentment.

"She seems to like it. I got Coco when Koshal, Cassandra and Lucien conspired to get me a pet." He might be embellishing just slightly. "Cassandra is my partner and Lucien is their little brother. And Anastasia has met Koshal, of course."

There's that name again. "Koshal... I swear I've heard that name before. He's not from Riverside or something, is he?" It's itching in the back of his mind.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER

"You must be happy they did! She's such a good little bird..." Ana's voice trails into that enraptured, babying tone people tend to take in the face of something extremely adorable. She's fully scritching Coco with both hands now, all of the day's troubles entirely gone. It's only when Eliseo asks his question that she drifts out of the reverie again.

"Oh, uh - he's one of Wenomir's other students. Like, our age. I think he knew that girl we met at Spooktober?" A beat as some stray memory clicks into place. "Wait, didn't Iknika say she ran into you in MERC?"

[Battered Shield]

Blanche can't help but chuckle. "Heh, I'll consider it. I'd prefer to think about, er, anything else for a while though." Lifting up her neglected mug of beer, she glances over to Anika. "Want to get another drink?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: May 25, 2023 6:09 pm [Little Mew's Artistic Escapades]

Having important information in written form is always handy. That way you don't have to remember it yourself!

Geneva listens curiously to the description of the implants. All those things make quite a bit of sense! And as for the drawing, "That's just an issue with practice. Artistic ability takes time to cultivate. You still did a good job for you first try, but with a little more work your drawing skills will keep improving! That's just part of being alive. It's all about the growth, especially when you're stills mall."

And LB-M is very, very small.

At the mention of projects Geneva certainly continues to be curious. "Acoustic levitation? Interesting... That usually requires precisely positioned sound-sources to work. There was a machine of some kind that was aiding Magtok Prime that utilized that sort of technology, though I wasn't able to actually study it to figure out how it was projecting sound so precisely."

There was kind of a pitched battle going on at the time.

"Most pokemon abilities act on the underlying data-structure of reality, if you want to get technical. Psychic abilities, specifically, create very precise kinetic or electro-chemical forces depending on the application. Acoustic levitation could replicate the end result of telekinesis but the mechanisms involved are pretty different."
Hraithre wrote: May 25, 2023 6:50 pm [Little Mew's Artistic Escapades]

LB-M stops drawing to listen to this discussion, visibly confused. ~I can imagine how it would work in principle, but it would either be very weak movement, or my sister is the size of a house and somehow you've omitted that. Now I really want to see her.~ She floats off the table and does a little circle around Khafir.

"And as it would happen, it is neither." Khafir explains. "Although its practical implementation involves calculations that take quad-space and interdimensional interference into consideration, which puts it beyond most humans' abilities to properly conceptualize, let alone implement personally. It is almost exclusively a tool for data processors designed or programmed exclusively for that purpose." She stands and carries her tray with her, heading toward one of the exits to the cafeteria. "Doctor Bu is not in her lab just this moment, but her lab is still accessible and she has given standing clearance for LBs 1 and 2 to visit with each other at any time. One can infer that would extend to their other siblings, as well."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Coco is all too happy to receive pets and scritches. Wenomir smiles slightly as he watches it. It's good to see Anastasia cheer up a little.

"Koshal is my student. A minotaur boy about your age. Very devoted to learning martial arts." The pride with which he speaks about Koshal seems a touch more than just that of a teacher. "He doesn't live in Riverside but he visits his uncle there."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Oh, huh. Yeah we've met. Like, years ago, though. I barely remembered." The boy's expression is a bit surprised. "That's pretty funny. Who'da thought."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"Small world, I guess," Ana remarks, starting to ease off on the pets and scritches as Eliseo draws her attention fully. She takes his hand again. "You should come to more of these - maybe you'll get to say hi to him next time." There's a falter to her cheer when she remembers that it might be a while before 'next time'. That it might be a long, long time 'til she becomes any less broken, let alone enough to wield a sword again.
~Welcome to Night Vale