Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Battered Shield]

Once Blanche has ended the call the segment she was watching is long over and the pub has gone back to watching sports.
However, Anika nearly pounces on her the moment she puts the phone down. Sitting down right next to her. "Your dad must have thought that was awesome! Did you see that one clip where you rode on me and shot down like a dozen bad guys?!" She gestures wildly at the tv.

Courtyard: D&D

"Well, yes. But that's sort of my point." Ambrosia gestures to Sekhmet. "I don't want him to grow up too fast. Since when we're saying 'adulthood' what we really mean is work as it has come to be defined by that. After all, you just said that you don't want her to have your duties for a long time, correct? So while she might theoretically might take up the position much sooner you're already preparing her for something that she might not have for centuries if not more. But what does she think about all this? Does she have any idea of what she wants to be before taking up your position?"
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[In Search of Distraction]

"Will you need to take them to your lab for that?" Wenomir asks. That might require some emergency security clearances...

[Courtyard - Swordsman]

Wenomir frowns slightly, surprised.

"So... are you dead? Or undead, rather?"
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard: D&D
"There are other duties a princess should, uh, attend to. Uh, mostly ceremonial ones," Sekhmet explains. But there's a much more interesting question. "She wants to be an artist," Sekhmet sounds genuinely proud of her daughter. "She does the most amazing work with oil and canvas, and my husband is teaching her sculpture on the side. I'd, uh, teach her metalwork as well, but she's not interested."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Stasia's gaze flits back to Eliseo's with a soft little "hm" and a wan smile to match, but she seems too distracted for the humor to truly reach her eyes. Geneva holds her attention now, and she almost goes to shake her head before the woman steps closer and continues. Sharing what happened doesn't seem to be a matter either of them want to discuss... but the assurance that she won't be delving into it does seem to set Ana's shoulders just enough at ease.

"Um, sure." The girl hesitates to answer at first, looking back to her paler self for an unspoken look of confirmation. Something is found and she chooses to step forward, taking Geneva's hand in her own. Stasia follows suit a moment after; it's as if she needs to work up the courage to pry herself from her boyfriend's arms.

What Geneva senses next is just as she anticipated - and perhaps even more so than she realizes. The two are, indeed, two halves torn apart roughly and impromptu. But despite this, each half seems more ordered than one might expect. It's as if some base compartmentalization or metaphysical representation already existed for Anastasia's very spirit to coalesce around.

On Ana's side, there's a sense of willpower and spontaneity, something inquisitive and mischievous. She's the half that's more outgoing, adventurous and capable of finding strength under pressure - and some portions of her psyche seem recently developed, as if Anastasia had just begun to find or rediscover the capacities within her.

Stasia's is gentler and more clearly cemented. She's shy, sensitive and nervous, with a swaddled core of something idealistic. A swirl of quiet hopes and love-drunk fantasies, churning with exaggerated terrors. Wings tattered with scars fresh and faded.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Eliseo gives Stasia a little squeeze around the shoulders through this. He'll stay where he is to reassure her, unless he needs to step back. If she he'll do so with a slight look of reluctance.
~Images by Soushiyo
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

Hoshiki gives Wenomir a joyless smile. "Oh, right now I'm as alive as you are. That doesn't mean I haven't died in the past. Maybe I have difficulties remembering details of my past because memories from multiple incarnations are blurring together." He shrugs. "Apologies for such grim change in topic. But this kind of thing comes with... comes with my position."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

"The equipment in my lab is for studying various means of teleportation; I have everything I need to examine the girls here," Geneva says, tapping the side of her head. Strictly speaking psionics is more of a hobby for her.

If by 'hobby' she means something she spent her whole life honing and a fair bit of her younger years conducting tests and training lessons. It isn't her JOB but neither is it something she's unskilled at.

Oh! Excellent! Her assurances had the desired outcome. That's good. This would be quite a bit more difficult if Anastasia's hesitancy were stronger. When she takes the hands of the girls her suspicions are quickly confirmed. This break is magical, that much is clear. Though the sort of magic isn't immediately obvious to Geneva the effect is quite familiar; a psychic split partitioned along aspects of the mind. Every mind has some traditionally feminine and masculine aspects; cold and hot, dark and light, nurturing and protecting, compassionate and ambitious. And unless care is taken the mind will often break along those lines like a cleavage plain through stone.

Geneva gives a small nod. "That's good. The break is there. A bit messy. But not as bad as it could have been. You're quite fortunate," Geneva reassures the girls. "The two of you are connected, but it's a ephemeral connection. To join you again you both need to be in synchronization. To begin I'm going to strengthen the bond a little, alright? You'll start feeling what the other is feeling more acutely."

If she's given consent, Geneva will begin to do so. Just a little, at first, but then steadily stronger. Quiet hopes to temper adventurous spontaneity, strength under pressure to quell exaggerated terrors.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

Wenomir waves his hand.

"I'm no stranger to grim. I have a reputation for it, though you might not have heard yet. I prefer a grim honest topic to..." He glances at the rest of the room. "Smalltalk and honeyed words. It's something I have to abide as a commander, but I don't like it."

Wenomir does nothing. His job here is done, as it were, and now it's in Geneva's hands.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Ana and Stasia both answer with a nod. ”I- um, we know,” Ana adds, awkwardly. “We’ve both, uh, felt things the others touched.” Stasia’s cheeks turn just a little warmer.

Slowly but surely, their feelings begin to blend together, the nervous expressions between the two shifting closer. A flicker of something a little more steadfast in Stasia’s eyes, and a degree more of nerves in Ana’s posture. Geneva will find no resistance to any of her efforts.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

It might be surprising just how quickly this seems to transpire.

Once the two girls are in synchronization with each other again, once there is a single mind in two bodies, then the inversion of this manifestation can be employed. Where once there was two there is instead one. The precise visual effect might be... a little hard to predict. That more has to do with the individual manifestation of Ana's own unique magical presence. But the important part here is that it is done.

And WHILE it is doing something ELSE important takes place.

Geneva is applying her own knowledge of how to reintegrate a substitute again. And while she might not be any sort of expert in the sort of paracausal forces that Ana operates under she CAN tell that this split has awakened something. So while she's playing out the integration she's also feeding the magical schematics of that process to Ana's own mind as a parent might guide the hands of a child with an unfamiliar task. Once a mind has been split like this it isn't ever wholly the same afterward.

Might means Ana could, potentially, split herself again.

Either by mistake or by intent.

And Geneva is quite certain that Ana would appreciate being able to reintegrate herself without outside help in the future.

GENEVA the MOVE TUTOR taught your ANASTASIA SUBSTITUTE!

A deep breath. A smile. "There! Far easier than putting an egg back together, right? Haha*snort*ha."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Battered Shield]

While the sign-off brings a genuine smile to the corner of her lips, Blanche can't help a slight wince. She wasn't a fan of the way both of her fathers talked about each other even when she knew the all sordid reasons why. And her experience with Magtok made it hard to agree. Sure, the man could be aggravating, full of himself and hard to get to take you seriously. But it was hard to hate him when she hadn't seen her mother this happy in years.

With these complicated emotions roiling through her mind, Anika's entrance comes entirely and uncharacteristically unanticipated. It's enough to make Blanche jump in her seat and whirl around. "Oh! Er, heyyyy Anika." The expression is cheery and awkward. She shrugs. "He... did, I guess? I didn't really, er, catch much of it though."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

What happens is simple. The two girls stand there for one moment, eyes closed and breathing slow - and then both seem to flicker. The effect is like a faltering lightbulb before Ana disappears into mist and Stasia is all that's left. Another passes before she dares to open bright sapphire eyes.

A breath is let go that she didn't even realize she'd held. The girl looks down at herself - at her gloved hands, at her padded jacket - and then raises her gaze to meet Geneva's. Her twin tails start to wag. A smile breaks the clouds. "I- I'm... me."

The very statement is enough to leave Anastasia briefly overcome as the fact sinks in. Cheeks brighten and exhaustion flickers, breathing long and shallow. "You- you really managed to fix me. I- I mean - thank you!" Everything about it is effusive and heartfelt, She goes to step back - and then seemingly remembers the boy whose arm loops round her shoulders, glancing back and raising a hand to squeeze his own. "I- I can't- we can't thank you enough."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Apr 29, 2023 4:08 am [Courtyard]

Awen nods: "Ah, that sounds pretty nice," she says. "I've never been to Skyside, but that does seem to be a problem. Glad he's doing something about it," she says.

She looks over at some of the investors.
"Well, I...I...I just got here, sort-of. I mean, I've been doing some behind the scenes things at this party, but I just barely came out."

The witch exhales. "Besides, I'm sure they'd much prefer to talk with the leaders or the other higher-ups."
[Courtyard]

Little does Awen know that Arkant is not that generouse. People work for low salery, but with the benefit of not be a slave. Some people might say he abuses their situation to make cheap products. On top there is a secret, but Awen shouldn't even know about that. None ever wondered why their are suddendly some monsters near skyside.

"Don't be afraid, non of them will eat you alive." Vutha says. "Thought Magtok is an unpredictable person, he might, but not while the higher ups are aound. You should give it a try.Maybe they just can#t name anyone other then the high ups."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Eliseo blinks in surprise, taken aback for a moment before he grins broadly. He leans a little to kiss the top of Ana's head. "Yes, thank you so much." It's such a relief to see some real relief and happiness on Ana's face.
~Images by Soushiyo
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"Hmmm. I understand. Me, I don't dislike them, exactly... but I may be a little out of practice", Hoshiki remarks, "the people I've met in my time here have all been different from what I was used to and from each other. I can only guess how my manners look to those around me. At least one of your guests was a bit... intimidated." He looks around and nods towards Sekhmet.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Well, that turned out quite pleasantly, didn't it? Geneva is pleased with here work here and while it's clear that something is still bothering Ana she certainly isn't going to pry. She's a stranger for all practical purposes, after all. Whatever lead to this trauma is none of her business.

"You're welcome. That should be plenty of thanks, probably. After all, who would I be if I didn't offer help to a friend of the Commander's when I have the opportunity?"
Geneva replies with a kind smile. "You should keep in mind that the splitting effect isn't gone. I believe you're able to do something akin to this naturally. Whatever happened to you simply triggered it. With a bit of practice you should be able to split and reintegrate yourself without any help from me. Which is a very handy skill to have! You wouldn't believe how often having a second me on hand when rooting around in the guts of a teleportation beacon ends up being invaluable."

Just imagine all the important tasks you could do more quickly with two of you!

It really stretches the bounds of what's possible.

"If you find yourself wanting to get some practice with the Substitute technique I would be more than happy to offer it. Especially since you're already coming to VIGIL for lessons."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

"I- Really?" The girl's eyebrows raise, even as Eliseo's gentle affection warms her face a touch. "That, um - might be nice, later. I still don't really know how this, um - h-happened, in the first place." One of many different things she could hypothetically do but didn't fully understand. Though she's not sure she wants to ask for guidance on the rest of her potential powers - too much of a chance for them to connect to all of the horrible things wrong with her.

"For now though, um-" Anastasia turns to look past her and Eliseo's shoulder's, back towards Wenomir. "If lessons are over, I- I guess I should probably start heading home?" There's a glimmer of hope in her expression - pleading, almost. She still wants to train further, wants to keep distracting herself from what happened... but Wenomir's probably right, and she doesn't expect him to change his mind on it anyways.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Morty

Post by Morty »

Wenomir nods.

"I'm afraid so. I understand the need to distract yourself from trauma with training, trust me. But it's not a good state of mind to be learning." He then looks over to Geneva. "Thank you, Geneva. That went a lot more smoothly than I was worried it might."

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

Wenomir follows Hoshiki's gaze briefly.

"Ah, yes. Sekhmet is... nervous. She's got a lot of responsibility on her shoulders. Which she doesn't deserve. I can relate, to a point. I learned about etiquette when I was a court duelist, but that was a long time ago, in a different society. Here, everything I say in a setting like this will reflect back on Vigil."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"Yes, it's a heavy burden. But it's unavoidable for a leader. If it's of any consolation, you're doing a fine job as far as I'm concerned", Hoshiki says with a nod. "But, I think I better get going. I didn't really come prepared for festivities. It has been a pleasure, though."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: May 03, 2023 9:41 am [Courtyard]

Little does Awen know that Arkant is not that generouse. People work for low salery, but with the benefit of not be a slave. Some people might say he abuses their situation to make cheap products. On top there is a secret, but Awen shouldn't even know about that. None ever wondered why their are suddendly some monsters near skyside.

"Don't be afraid, non of them will eat you alive." Vutha says. "Thought Magtok is an unpredictable person, he might, but not while the higher ups are aound. You should give it a try.Maybe they just can#t name anyone other then the high ups."
[Courtyard]

Luckily for Arkant, it seems people won't investigate him so long as there's still the worse things going on in Skyside.

"I'm not afraid of being eaten," Awen says.
She looks over at all the wealthier and more famous people at this party.
"But...well, they all look busy, hanging out with people they know and other famous people. I don't really want to interrupt them and stand out as the only person who doesn't belong..."

Is most of the problem just in her head? Yes.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

Wenomir nods.

"Of course. How may we find you when the time comes to go after Prime?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Eliseo gives Ana a squeeze around the shoulder and says in a lower voice for her. "There's always next time. Don't beat yourself up about it." He tries to reassure.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"I'm happy to help, Commander," Geneva replies with a differential nod to Wenomir. Then she turns her attention back to Ana.

"Wenomir is right. You've been through quite a bit and you need some time to come to terms with it," Geneva says gently. "Find someone you can trust to talk about. That will help. Once you feel better then that's the time for training. It's best not to drown your problems in business."

Face them.
Process them.
Be at peace with them.

Or at the very least come to terms with them.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[In Search of Distraction

Anastasia's expression falters as Wenomir lets her down gently. "I- I understand," she answers simply to both of them, the brief flicker of a curve on her lips. "Thank you for, um- being understanding."

Which isn't a lie - she does genuinely appreciate him being so accommodating for her today and trying to look out for her best interests. There's just a bit too much personal baggage on her right now to set her perfectly at ease.

Geneva's advice, however, doesn't land quite as well. There's a brief and nervous jolt in her eyes again, that same frightened-rabbit look just for a moment. Talk to someone about it? How can she? She'd already told her moms about it, and it only seemed to hurt her and Siana more than anything else. And telling Eliseo - gods no, how could she? No matter how much she wants to stop keeping secrets from him, he'd probably never love her again if she did.

"I'll, um- I'm going to go get changed," Ana picks up her bag and offers one last polite smile, then heads off to a changing room to slip out of her training gear.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Little Mew on the Run]

After her return from the Bronze Pyramid, LB-M sneaks through the door the Encyclopede generously opened for her. Her trip to that place left many interesting ideas in her tiny head, but right now, those are secondary to a single concern:

Food.

Food, food, food.

The tiny Pokemon has not eaten anything since waking up, leaving her quite hungry. So, the gerbil-sized, light blue mew hops, sneaks and floats around, occasionally stopping to sniff the air, roaming the VIGIL base in search of something delicious. She's so hungry, she could eat a... a... uh, something very big. She's a little short on words for very big things, but she'll know it when she sees one.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[In Search of a Distraction]

Geneva offers a nod as Ana departs. She can tell something is up for sure. One doesn't have to have any psychic powers to tell that her suggestion unsettled Ana. That brief flicker of shame and fear. Geneva can't help but hope that Ana settles this situation in some way because emotions like that are like acid, eating at a person from the inside.

Traumas are terrible.

Doubly so when one feels in some way responsible.

Survivor's guilt is something she's familiar with herself.

"Feel free to contact me if my help is needed again. I should probably get moving myself; I was on the way to the cafeteria when I picked up on Ana's distress. If I wait around my longer my stomach rumbling might get embarrassingly loud," Geneva says to Wenomir before offering a nod and heading out.

Looks like that just leaves the DUDES hanging around. Wonder what they'll get up to?

[Little Mew on the Run]

The campus of VIGIL is, of course, well known to Geneva. While she might not be the flashiest or best known of VIGIL's many luminaries she's been here for quite some time. Her work is mostly esoteric and more often than not the fruits of her labor are seen by the outside world rather than Geneva herself. VIGIL's rapid response teleporter is cool and flashy! Geneva is just an engineer in the background who ensures that it functions properly.

Yes, the campus is well known. So tracing a path from the training grounds to the cafeteria is no difficult matter.

Spotting the tiny blue mew along the way is, however, something of a surprise. It's quite clear that the baby pokemon is searching for something. And considering the needs and wants of most baby pokemon it doesn't take a mind-reader to guess what it is.

"Hello, LB-M," Geneva calls out. "Have you decided to do some exploring? I was just headed toward the cafeteria to get some lunch. Would you like to accompany me?"

Geneva already knows the answer to this question.

But one doesn't always ask questions because one doesn't know the answer.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Courtyard - Swordsmen]

"I have a mansion on Arkham Street, Inside. You can send a word there, anytime", Hoshiki says, "should I not be there, you can contact Knight & Bishop Pawnshop... might've been on King's Alley, but close to Arkham Street too. I have an arrangement with the shopkeeper there, so if I'm not home, they have the best chance of knowing where I went and how to contact me." He scratches his neck. "Can't promise I'll always be available. I have a habit of being drawn into... all kinds of altercations, whether I look for them or not. One time, I barely got out of the door when a host of angels started a fight around me. Can you believe?"

---

[Little Mew on the Run]

LB-M is just hopping across a hallway when Geneva spots her. She freezes to stare at her mid-motion, like a spooked blue squirrel. But then lunch is mentioned, and she relaxes, floating off the ground and hovering to Geneva. "Miu", she confirms. She's not sure what a cafeteria is, but it has food, it is the right place.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Little Mew on the Run]

Somewhere with food is absolutely the right place right now, as the rumble from Geneva's own stomach announces. She offers a sheepish smile and puts a hand over her belly. "It sounds like we have the same problem right now! Thankfully it's a problem that's easy to solve."

That said, she continues on her walk toward the cafeteria.

"I was a bit worried when I returned to my quarters and discovered you weren't there; but I probably shouldn't have been too surprised. You and your sisters are quite curious so it's only natural that you would begin exploring. And VIGIL is quite safe! Though I imagine a few of the stray cats around the grounds could potentially be hazardous."

A terrible fate, to be caught by a cat. Thankfully LB-M's own psionic abilities, underdeveloped as they are, would probably be sufficient to ward off a hungry feline.

"Did you find anything interesting yet?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Little Mew on the Run]

LB-M thinks, then shakes her head vigorously. She didn't find anything interesting (yet) - but a few interesting things sure did find her! ~I have many sisters?~ , she broadcasts a question. ~I remember that flying whatyoucallit saying it was so, but that's only one.~
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[In Search of a Distraction]

Eliseo gives Ana a parting squeeze and a smile, and then after that says bye to Geneva like a responsible young man. After that he's left alone with Wenomir. He takes another look at the swordsman. He really was as scarred up as people said. Makes him wonder how often he's used that sword of his. Probably more times than Eliseo could possibly guess.

Hm, he better make smalltalk, eh? Bit awkward to just stand around and wait. "You know, I'm kinda surprised an important guy like you has time to be teaching sword lessons." He observes.
~Images by Soushiyo