Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[In Search of a Distraction]

"I've met a fellow teacher and athlete, I see." Wenomir raises an eyebrow in feigned surprise. "It's not martial arts but noble in its own way. Over in Riverside, the idea of studying swordsmanship in Vigil must be unusual."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Eliseo chuckles. "Eh, I dunno. My mom's kind of a sword freak, so I guess it's not that weird to me. Different kind of swords, though, and I don't really see her using them too much." He shrugs. "Uh, not that you're a sword freak. Different energy, I promise."
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I'm glad to hear it." Wenomir briefly struggles not to laugh. "Though if I ever have kids, maybe I'll be a sword freak to them too. Maybe that's just how children perceive their parents."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Little Mew's Artistic Escapades]

"For which you require the consumption of physical materials. Biomass, I would assume." Khafir continues, watching the drawing unfold and the mew work it over. Like Geneva, she can't tell immediately as to the nature of further alterations, but she can attempt some educated guesses based on ther location and shape. In particular, Khafir finds herself focusing on any cranial alterations; for dataforms and psychics both, changes to the brain are very significant.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

"She just ate several times her own mass and grew by not quite that amount. I'll admit I don't know if that's how a mew would grow normally from an infant state; my family waited until the next mew in the line was old enough to have precise control over her own psionics before introducing her to Transform. Or at least that's the tradition my mother explained to me," Geneva admits.

This is all quite fascinating, really. Mews are very odd creatures and difficult to gather wide reaching information on by design. They have no way of actually detecting another transformed mew. No real way to identify each other. But then again that wasn't necessary for their purpose, assuming the hypothesis that they're meant to steer the evolution of life on a planet in a particular direction is correct.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

LB-M stops drawing and stares at Khafir for a moment, head to the side like a confused kitten. ~That is a funny way to say I need to eat to grow big. Like, I understood everyone does that. You... do do that, right?~

"Something is off", the entity signals to Khafir, "how is this creature communicating with you? I can hear it. I can hear it even though I can't hear anything else."

Maybe it's too much to expect Khafir to answer that. It's doubtful even the originators of her implants spent much though on how they would interface with a mew's telepathy.

As for LB-M's own implants, it's hard to decipher details from her doodles, but it looks like the implants are placed at different part of her skull and spine. It would be a reasonable guess that they're meant to interface with her cerebral cortex and spinal cord. Alternatively or additionally, they may be reinforcements.
Last edited by Hraithre on May 15, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Considering pokemon are fictional creatures on Terah, it's already a fair bet that Khafir's implants were never designed to interface with a mew.... but then, they weren't designed to interface at all, unless one counts different parts of Khafir's brain. Her implants catching telepathic signals is something like headphones catching radio waves... not the intended use or design, but working nonetheless, apparently.

"I did that, yes." Khafir confirms. "In adulthood, eating is more of a matter of maintenance than growth. And the process is far more complicated and inefficient, apparently." She looks over at Geneva and raises her eyebrows in a somewhat exaggerated fashion. Eating a light snack doesn't normally make an animal balloon up to quadruple their original size.

"I would assume that means you are not going through the normal process of digestion, given that information." Khafir continues, looking back down at the drawing. "But rather, that you are reallocating the mass directly, after integrating it into your overall structure. This is consistent with a physical dataform, but not a biological entity... which raises some other interesting questions that will, momentarily, go unanswered." She taps the implants in the drawing. "Would you be so kind as to draw these again, but larger, so we can see the details?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Eliseo gives a sharp laugh. "Nah, you're probably safe." He's not going to actually rag on Irena to this guy he just met, though. "Maybe it's different with dads. I dunno; never had one." He shrugs.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

That's a reoccurring problem in the Nexus, isn't it? Or at the very least a reoccurring oddity. The discovery that something that was fictitious in one world is quite real in another. Or something that's common place in one world is utterly unknown in another. There was speculation on what a world without pokemon would be like where Geneva came from, of course. How things might have been different if Earth hadn't been discovered by whatever it was that seeded pokemon there to begin with.

Would humans have ever existed? That seems like it would be impossible, yet humans appear to be a commonality in many worlds. A point of similarity between deeply divergent worlds.

Geneva has wondered about that in all her research of various realities for the purposes of her teleportation work. It's a strange thing. Improbable enough that that intent starts becoming a viable explanation. After all, one can't really rely on the multiverse to explain deeply improbable serendipity when that improbable event repeats in better than ninety percent of the universes where atoms heavier than lithium exist.

Since Doctor Khafir is apparently interested in the subject Geneva begins compiling a collection of electronic books on pokemon physiology and how that interacts with their existence as a primarily information-based life form. That information is in turn stored on a bit of removable memory that pops out of her wrist computer. It's definitely handy to have her Gear with her at all time.

Geneva sets the drive down and finishes off her bread.

"We'll be able to get higher fidelity scans of the implants, assuming LB-M consents. But from the information we have available so far I don't know if we'll be able to determine their purpose until they're actually complete."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

~Oh, I can tell what they're for. That's easier than drawing. I try and try, but despite the pictures being clear in my head, it's hard to move them out.~

LB-M pulls another blank page and starts a new, larger drawing, focused on her brain and spine. She really can't do her nervous system any justice, but the implants get a bit better. She points the pencil at her spine. ~So these ones are for capturing signals better. I have sisters who are machines, right? I thought, they prolly work in a different frequency than other living things. This ought to help with that.~ In other words, they make her spine into an antenna.

She shifts focus to implants at the sides of her skull and base of her neck. ~These are ports for direct connection, for if I find some machine made with same principles as me.~ Geneva might remember the simulated syringe to her head. Apparently it's possible to prepare an organism for that interface.

Lastly, she points at configuration at the top of her skull. ~This is for back-up memory for sensory data. That's all the easy ones. Does this satisfy your curiosity?~
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: May 10, 2023 2:55 pm [Courtyard]

Awen nods. "You're...probably right," she concedes.

The witch looks around the courtyard.
She takes a step towards someone, then stops herself. Wait, that person doesn't look like they want to be talked to.
She looks around for someone else.
Gosh, it's so hard to just approach someone! How do people do it?
[Courtyard]

Vutha points to Sekhmet and Ambrosia.
"Maybe those are a good start." and then tries to slightly push her in their direction.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 11, 2023 11:05 am Courtyard: D&D

"Wouldn't that make it even more important to educate her about them? And I mean more than just book-knowledge. Since as much as I love theory I don't think it would satisfy her curiosity in this case. Perhaps you could ask her if she wants to meet them in a more controlled manner. With people that you trust by her side." Ambrosia suggests. "Probably in a space that you have some control over."
bc56 wrote: May 11, 2023 10:49 pm Courtyard: D&D
"That's, uh, what I meant when I said she's met them," Sekhmet answers. "It, uh, has been a while. Last time, it was with the palace clothier for a fitting." Mary needed clothes that could accommodate shapeshifting. "I can't leave them alone with her, that's certain."
Zefir wrote: May 17, 2023 6:59 am [Courtyard]

Vutha points to Sekhmet and Ambrosia.
"Maybe those are a good start." and then tries to slightly push her in their direction.
[Courtyard]

At some point after being pushed towards Sekhmet and Ambrosia, Awen's heart starts pounding and her mind races to think up something to say to them. She can't let herself look ridiculous, after all.

Awen swearing a little black dress, a veil over her eyes, and a necklace with dozens of holy symbols clinking on it. Overall, she looks fragile, even with her mechanical right arm. And her hair is a mix of thin black snakes - which are behaving quite well and are looking at everything curiously - and long black hair in a ponytail - which is definitely not behaving; her regular hair is squirming enough that if the snakes didn't have tongues and eyes it would be easy to mistake which part is the snakes and which part is the hair.

Her fox follows as well, but then looks up at them and decides its time is better spent begging people for food scraps and swiping from unattended plates. So he pads off to somewhere with more food.

She comes up to them and curtsies. "Um...good evening, mesdames," she says. She breath to right her mind, and then introduces herself: "My name is Awen, and as a member of Vigil, I'd like to thank you both for your continued support of our organization."

The witch Awen's mind blanks on how to continue, what to say next. She looks down at the ground and finishes the curtsey. Her mind defaults back into 'maid' mode to keep herself from standing there awkwardly. "And...I was wondering if there was any way I could assist you two today, or anything I could get for you."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Courtyard: D&D

Ambrosia was thankful that Harley had decided to come by just as she had no idea how to reply to that.
Still, Awen's question wasn't all that much easier to answer. "Oh... uh, no I believe it should be I thanking you, Awen. You've done more than enough for me already." She glances at Sekhmet, she did assume she knew who Awen was but she couldn't be sure. "In fact, is there anything I could do for you?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Awen is followed by someone. I dont think Sekmeth and ambrosia met her yet but maybe i forgot a meeting.
The woman has that unnatural beauty on her that tells them she is no human. Apart from that her horns and eyes are a clear sign of her dragon heritage. She also wears a black dress combined with some juwlery.
She takes place behind Awen as a mental support and just nods at them as Awen greets them.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Courtyard: D&D&D&A
Sekhmet has never met Awen before. But she can still be a gracious guest here. She smiles. It looks a little forced, but she's just uncomfortable with the attention, especially from someone carrying so many holy symbols. "It's my pleasure," she nods. "I'm quite all right, no need to get me anything," she confirms. She's not quite so ready to offer her own services as Ambrosia was.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I may not be a father, but I deal with enough kids and teenagers that sometimes I feel I'm close. One of my apprentices, Koshal, is close to you and Anastasia in age. She's met him. But I also teach my co-commander's daughter, who is only eleven."

As Wenomir speaks, a newcomer approaches. It's a small, fluffy green raptor that runs up to Eliseo and chirps.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Shadowcaller wrote: May 19, 2023 9:34 pm Courtyard: D&D

Ambrosia was thankful that Awen had decided to come by just as she had no idea how to reply to that.
Still, Awen's question wasn't all that much easier to answer. "Oh... uh, no I believe it should be I thanking you, Awen. You've done more than enough for me already." She glances at Sekhmet, she did assume she knew who Awen was but she couldn't be sure. "In fact, is there anything I could do for you?"
Zefir wrote: May 19, 2023 10:56 pm Courtyard: D&D

Awen is followed by someone. I don't think Sekmeth and ambrosia met her yet but maybe i forgot a meeting.
The woman has that unnatural beauty on her that tells them she is no human. Apart from that her horns and eyes are a clear sign of her dragon heritage. She also wears a black dress combined with some jewelry.
She takes place behind Awen as a mental support and just nods at them as Awen greets them.
bc56 wrote: May 20, 2023 3:52 pm Courtyard: D&D&D&A
Sekhmet has never met Awen before. But she can still be a gracious guest here. She smiles. It looks a little forced, but she's just uncomfortable with the attention, especially from someone carrying so many holy symbols. "It's my pleasure," she nods. "I'm quite all right, no need to get me anything," she confirms. She's not quite so ready to offer her own services as Ambrosia was.
[Courtyard: D&D]

Awen doesn't blame Sekhmet for not knowing her; after all, Awen doesn't know Sekhmet either.
However, she feels a little bad for not recognizing Ambrosia, even though she purportedly helped Ambrosia at some point in the past...maybe she delivered her some drinks earlier this evening and Ambrosia's just exaggerating? Maybe she has ties to that one succubus who Awen rescued?
Or maybe...oh.
Awen suddenly realizes: Ambrosia is thanking her in place of thanking Vigil, as evidently Vigil helped Ambrosia some point in the past - and that's why she's here. Of course. This answer was obvious in retrospect.

Awen feels a little foolish for not realizing that sooner.

Regardless, she glances back at Vutha - the woman who had pushed her into approaching these two. Since, after all, she had never actually experienced being thanked back, and having someone else offer their services. What's she supposed to do now?
Luckily, professionalism kicks back in.
She looks back at Ambrosia's direction...more at her throat than her face, since Awen is incredibly uncomfortable with eye contact even with this veil here. (And it's not even because making eye contact with her can be dangerous! Rather, it's more because she's believed her whole life that she's only allowed to make eye contact with people who are in the same class as her, and pretty much everyone here at this party is decidedly 'above' her.)
And Awen shakes her head: "Oh, no need to thank me. As a member of Vigil, we're just doing our job. Besides, it would be highly inappropriate for me to request anything from a guest. If you wish to discuss contributions you can make or anything similar, I'm sure it'd be best to speak through one of our commanders or staff." As opposed to a lowly combat member like her.
Awen hopes that was professional and cordial enough to make up for her inability to recognize Ambrosia.

So that she doesn't leave Sekhmet out of this, she turns to look at Sekhmet...'s throat, too.
The witch opens her mouth, and almost says something, then notices how uncomfortable Sekhkmet appears.
She gets a better look at Sekhmet, puts two and two together, and then realizes something.

Her hair in the ponytail moves and undoes the necklace's clasp. The necklace of holy symbols falls, and she catches it in her hand. She then holds the necklace behind her own back. "Um...I - I apologize, is that better? I didn't mean offense, I j-just feel more comfortable while I'm wearing them."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ambrosia knows half-dragons (or a potential actual dragon in human form) from a mile away, they were included in her research after all.
Then she realizes, Awen had never actually seen her human body before. Only her as a dragon. So of course she didn't recognize her.
Well, that probably made her offer all the more strange, awkward.

Better change the subject.

"Erm, whose your friend then, Awen? I don't believe she's a vigil member." She gestures to Vutha.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Courtyard: D&D&D&A

When Awen looks back at her she just smiles friendly. For now nothing wired happened or emberacing. Thought the holy symbol thing is something Vutha couldn't see. If

"I am Vutha, Vutha Isk. I'm the accompaniment of mister Arkant." she says with a formal slight bow as the attention is drawn to her. "A pleasure." She adds to both.

"I just met Miss Awen, but didn't want to interupt her duty so I just tagged along."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Academy]

What should be a fairly routine meeting between the two Vigil commanders promises to be more serious than that, as Wenomir strides into the room fuming. Cessie may already be there waiting for him.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Awen is clearly quite perceptive. Being stared at in the throat is weird though. Most people look either a little higher, or a little lower. "You, uh, don't need to put them away on my account," Sekhmet responds. While it does make her more comfortable to not have the holy icons right in front of her, it's not such a big deal. Then Vutha introduces herself. "It is a pleasure to meet you both," Sekhmet affirms.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: May 16, 2023 6:44 am [Little Mew's Artistic Escapades]

~Oh, I can tell what they're for. That's easier than drawing. I try and try, but despite the pictures being clear in my head, it's hard to move them out.~

LB-M pulls another blank page and starts a new, larger drawing, focused on her brain and spine. She really can't do her nervous system any justice, but the implants get a bit better. She points the pencil at her spine. ~So these ones are for capturing signals better. I have sisters who are machines, right? I thought, they prolly work in a different frequency than other living things. This ought to help with that.~ In other words, they make her spine into an antenna.

She shifts focus to implants at the sides of her skull and base of her neck. ~These are ports for direct connection, for if I find some machine made with same principles as me.~ Geneva might remember the simulated syringe to her head. Apparently it's possible to prepare an organism for that interface.

Lastly, she points at configuration at the top of her skull. ~This is for back-up memory for sensory data. That's all the easy ones. Does this satisfy your curiosity?~

"I am never satisfied. My curiosity, even more so." Khafir says bluntly. "But for the moment, I have few other questions I can ask for which I could expect an answer. At least, not without further reading." She reaches out and picks up the memory Geneva just printed, tucking it into the pocket of her lab coat.

"That said, I am curious to see what would happen if we were to introduce LB-M to either of her sisters, but especially LB-2. Doctor Bu was floating a concept for an acoustikinetic algorithm for her, but has yet to implement it. In broad principle, it would be indistinguishable from telekinesis. One has to wonder if, given that there would be no hardware modifications involved, LB-M's innate abilities and nature as a dataform may assist in developing this feature without a need to explicitly program it." She pauses, folding her hands in front of her. "If so, the implications would be... considerable."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Ambrosia doesn't need to worry about the offer being strange or awkward: Awen already blames herself for it, so she's not going to consider Ambrosia to be awkward.
"Ah, yes, Vutha," Awen says. Once Vutha explains who she accompanied, Awen turns and points out Arkant - who is probably nearby and who Vutha pointed out to her earlier - a tall man in a grey suit. She tries to recall what Vutha told her about him earlier: "He owns a business in Skyside, I was told."

Awen's fox momentarily returns to the group, with some food it managed to score in its mouth. Without needing to look, Awen drops the necklace by the fox, who picks it up with his nose and walks away, intending on now finding a way to use the holy symbols to convince people he deserves food...somehow.

It seems Awen is very avant-garde, looking at an entirely unique location: the neck. Not everyone can say they had someone look there.
Awen shakes her head, takes a deep breath, and tells Sekhmet, "Don't worry, nothing bad will happen if I'm not wearing them," she says. Honestly? Half of those holy symbols, she hasn't even prayed at those gods in weeks.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Morty wrote: May 20, 2023 4:11 pm [In Search of a Distraction]

"I may not be a father, but I deal with enough kids and teenagers that sometimes I feel I'm close. One of my apprentices, Koshal, is close to you and Anastasia in age. She's met him. But I also teach my co-commander's daughter, who is only eleven."

As Wenomir speaks, a newcomer approaches. It's a small, fluffy green raptor that runs up to Eliseo and chirps.

"Yeah, but have you dealt with babies? Babies are a mess." Eliseo remarks, with the face of someone who has some first hand experience. Harrowing stuff.

He looks down, surprised by the chirp. "You got a lot of big chickens running around here?" He asks, bemused.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: May 21, 2023 11:06 am [The Academy]

What should be a fairly routine meeting between the two Vigil commanders promises to be more serious than that, as Wenomir strides into the room fuming. Cessie may already be there waiting for him.
[The Academy]

She is indeed. As Wenomir walks into the room she's on some kind of phone meeting with Jillian, her daughter, whose displayed on her communicators screen. "Okay, I have to go now, ladybug. Why don't you wave good-bye to me and Wenomir?"

"I know of him." Ambrosia remarks as she hears the name Arkant. "More than just a business I'm pretty sure. Several of them in fact. Though they might all be under the same name." She briefly looks to Awen's fox as it comes picking up the holy symbol. Was that... associated to the fox-church in Inside that she had heard so much about? She couldn't think of anything else though in the nexus there was a million of possibilities so it was hard to assume anything.

"I heard there was a love potion crisis hitting Skyside the other day. A necromantic villain had tainted the milk supply of the city." There was a pun she realized the moment she had said the words. But she wasn't going to bring attention to it. "Is that sort of disasters common in Skyside, miss Vuntha? Since I heard that actual cow milk is hard to come by which is why it spread so fast." It also sounded like something Sekhmet might be aware of considering her position and, well, the kind of servants she had.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 08, 2023 8:03 am [The Battered Shield]

"Aw, man. That sucks." Anika gently ruffles Blanche's hair. "But super-cool that your dad approves at least." Her eyebrows raise as she meets Blanche's gaze, sensing some hesitation there. "We could probably look up the clip though. At the end they said they even said they would have an 'interview' with you soon. That means they're going to go and talk to you, right? Sounds pretty important!"
[The Battered Shield]

Blanche leans into Anika's hand as she does, her own conflicted energy relaxing with Anika's easy demeanor. "I guess so, yeah. Still some tension between him and, er, my other dad though." Which was pretty expected considering the two of them and their history of course. Still, it was hard not to think of both of them as her family - and the idea of potentially having to side with one over the other was still difficult even when they were both newer presences in her life.

Not that she gets to mope about it for long considering what Anika mentions next. "- wait, what?" Blanche jolts up. "An interview? I never agreed or was even asked about one!" Oh boy.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Battered Shield]

"Oh, you mean Mag-tok? Well, what if you invited them both on a trip or dinner with you but didn't say that the other one was coming? Then they have to get along with one another since you'd be there to keep an eye on them." Anika suggests even as Blanche is freaking out about what she just had told her.

"Don't worry, that just means they're going to contact you any day now, right? Easy!" A beat. "Don't you want an interview? You could tell them to stop being so weird about you."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"True, true. I don't deal with babies often. I used to, when I was about your age. Grew up in a small village, where babies are everyone's problem." He looks down at Coco, who swivels her head vertically to peer at Eliseo from different angles, making "wok" sounds. "This is Coco, my raptor. Come here, Coco." The raptor obediently trots up to him.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Huh, it's your pet? I guess not the weirdest pet I ever heard of." Eliseo grants. He's spent his whole life in the Nexus, that's to be expected. "Where do you even get one of those, though?"
Shadowcaller wrote: May 22, 2023 2:36 pm [The Academy]

She is indeed. As Wenomir walks into the room she's on some kind of phone meeting with Jillian, her daughter, whose displayed on her communicators screen. "Okay, I have to go now, ladybug. Why don't you wave good-bye to me and Wenomir?"
[The Academy]

"Aww..." Jillian's voice complains on the other side of the screen, but she doesn't hold onto it. "Okay, bye bye, mommy. Bye bye mister Wenomir." The little girl waves.
~Images by Soushiyo
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

"Yes, he has developed several companys to give the people work." the dragon lady replies.
She does look a little suprised at the incident Ambrosia mentions, mainly because her player has missed that.
"I'm sorry, but I didn't heared of this incident." she says. "I guess we weren't hit by that because we have our own supply chain for food. As for you question, don't think such disaster hit Skyside often. Since slavery is extremly dominant there such things might fall under it or the people there act mire radical then in other places."

Arkant is around having a drink. He is likly to far away to hear them, but shot after Ambrosia mentions the incident he get's a call he attends to.