Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Post Reply
User avatar
AshenAmbrosia
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 40
Joined: May 18, 2022 11:07 pm
Location: My Hoard
Pronouns: she/her
Contact:

Vigil

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

Whereas GLoG concerns itself with redeeming evil-doers (and healing the sick and sheltering refugees etc.) and AMEN is evildoers, Vigil takes a more neutral approach. Vigil doesn’t concern itself with good or evil, but with kicking people who need to be kicked. It is dedicated to preventing threats to the Nexus, both massive-scale and small-scale, from muggers and exploding taverns to apocalypsoi and demonic invasions. Of course, given that evil-doers tend to be the ones who cause those things, Vigil tends to be pitted against the forces of evil more often than not, but it doesn’t care that they’re evil, just that they’re causing trouble. Calling it a 'Good' organization is likely to draw the ire of some of the more morally relative members around. Maybe. Some members do call it a Good organization. There's no real reason to care about it, so I'm not gonna!

VIGIL is an organization that exists to stop some bad things from happening.

Oh, and also their first base done got blowed up by demons. It was terribly inconvenient.



Current VIGIL Locations: (PLEASE USE LOCATION TAGS IN THIS THREAD OR I WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR BASEMENT IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT AND SHANK YOU).


[Vigil Skybase] (Official Vigil HQ)

Vigil's new base, built atop a flying island hijacked from the Hunting Grounds. The island is propelled by large engines created by the Mia, priestess of Deus Mechanicus, and is currently on patrol.

The portion of the base on the surface of the island consists of several complexes red stone buildings ringing a basin towards the upper end of the island. Flanked by several peaks, the basin serves as a natural shelter to the surface structures of the Vigil base, and is bisected by a narrow lake that flows into a river towards the lower end of the island. Plentiful footpaths crisscross the various complexes that make up the Vigil base, along with a one-way monorail that runs the length of the valley, allowing for rapid transit from one end of the base to another.

The Academy
Placed strategically at the head of the valley, the Academy serves as a main hub for the base, splitting the two halves of the basin with a complex of several large stone structures. The largest of these structures is the Library, which contains numerous books on magic as well as the theory of warfare and martial arts; some saved from the wreckage of the former Vigil base, others new additions donated by Vigil members or the organization’s various benefactors. The Library also contains several Labs well suited to conducting magical and scientific research, map rooms for strategic planning, and a telescope observatory at the top of a tower for star-gazing. Flanking the Library are the main Armory and Clinic, as well as buildings containing indoor Training Facilities, and elevators and tunnels to the interior and underside of the island. The Library foyer and Academy courtyard also serves as a useful Reception for new visitors to the base.

The Training Grounds
Taking up an entire half of the basin on one side of the lake, the Training Grounds serve as the main point-of-call for any open-air practice Vigil members should wish to conduct. Separate facilities include a running track; arenas for dueling and swordplay; a shooting and archery range; areas for jousting; and other such facilities for martial pursuits.

The Upper Village
On the opposite side of the lake to the training grounds is the Upper Village, where the majority of Vigil members will make their residence. The Upper Village is primarily populated by large stone halls. Living space prioritizes economy over luxury, with large barrack halls splitting their space equally between intimately sized single rooms and larger bunkrooms for members that value their privacy a little less. Centered in between these barrack halls are a central plaza and some community buildings, including a mess hall, gym and recreational building, tennis courts and basketball hoops, laundry buildings, and a large bathhouse with group and individual baths. Close to the lake are several fenced-off gardens and open grassy areas ideal for outdoor sports, and the lakeside has a rather nice sandy beach. Magical landscaping is convenient like that.

The Battered Shield
A large tavern that has opened up in the Upper Village, meant for off-duty Vigil members and their guests to congregate, relax, and get a few drinks. The tavern gets its name from the broken shield above the entrance, which changes weekly. The back wall of the tavern is covered in more damaged and broken shields, each one smashed in the defense of the Nexus. Live music most nights, including from Rain, Vigil's resident bard.

Commanders’ Village
A little ways uphill from the Upper Village, a set of overlooking terraces set into the mountainside are home to some modest two-story houses. These houses are space provided to the current commanders of Vigil, and each have their own amenities including kitchen, several bedrooms, and plenty of space for studies, workrooms, armories, or shrines to one’s own magnificence.

The Lower Village
Further down the valley, near its foot where the lake narrows into a river that flows out of the basin, is the Lower Village, partially secluded from the rest of the base amidst the valley walls and the start of the woods that cover the rest of the island. The Lower Village has small, separate houses with their own gardens and more privacy compared to the communal living spaces of the Upper Village.

Emergency Monorail
This stone railway along runs from the Lower Village, through the Upper Village, up towards the Academy. Runes placed at intervals along the railway allow for the summoning of a magic platform that moves rapidly in one direction up towards the Academy, making it useful for emergencies or other times when expedience is required.



Command/Combat Information Center
Located deep within the heart of the island, this easily defensible underground complex could serve as a future command center for Vigil operations. As of right now, it’s sparsely furnished with a few offices including some larger offices for Vigil’s command staff, a mainframe room, and a pair of video conferencing rooms.

Battle Clinic
Less luxuriously equipped than the main surface clinic, this clinic’s central underground location makes it an ideal spot for emergency treatment in the heat of battle.

Vaults
Underground vaults for the storage of possible artifacts and items of apocalyptic or near-apocalyptic importance. Currently very empty.



Airship Gantry
Carved into the underside of the island is a cavernous open-air hanger, crisscrossed by bridges and hanging platforms. As of yet, a pair of large skyships built for hauling cargo currently occupies the interior, in addition to a small flotilla of yacht-sized skyskiffs for transport. Given Vigil’s past history with flying devices of all sorts, it’s likely to become the home for many more in the future. An upside-down tower near the entrance to the hanger serves as an air-traffic control of sorts, as well as a command tower with communications linked to the other exterior observation towers.

Skyship Reference (bulkier, with less weaponry)

Skyferry Reference (less fancy, no propellers)

Observation Towers
Upside-down towers dot the underside of the island at various point, providing lookout points for sentries to observe the land below, as well as a possible platform for defensive or siege weapons to be mounted in the future.


[Vigil Safehouses - Inside/Skyside]

A pair of safehouses, located in Inside and Skyside. The Vigil safehouses from the outside look like ordinary, unattractive worn-down apartment blocks, though they are equipped with a heavy door and security systems to prevent entry to non-Vigil members. Inside there are beds, toilet and bathing facilities, and enough supplies and equipment to last about a dozen members each for several months. Intended to be used as temporary staging bases so that Vigil can still operate semi-normally while in hiding, but light on electronic equipment, in order to avoid detection.

[Vigil Ruins]

The old base, located on a cliff-side above the lake. Done got blowed up by demons. They're still there, probably.



CURRENT LEADERS (talk to these guys if you need help - of the regular kind, not psychiatric help. They're not qualified for that.)
- Wenomir
- Cessie Mithar
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]
TARBot doesn't even flinch when the projectile hits him: since he fired it, it'll deal no damage to him.

He crouches very low to the ground when Wenomir feigns being caught off guard, having anticipated forward movement. This lets him parry Wenomir's overhead slash, and he then moves forward so he's out of range of the midsection stab. He makes sure to pick up the Pokeball left on the ground as he's moving, because by this time his ability to go to that pocket dimension has already been disabled. This infuriates him, though he doesn't show it. "That was cheap, so let me be cheaper still." Turning to face Wenomir and staying in a low guard position, TARBot bounces the ball in Mia's general direction. Provided it is not interrupted before it hits the ground, a Doublade will appear from it, that does not look happy to see Mia. "Get her, my Pokemon! Because ironically, she's done more damage than her more egotistical cohort over here ever will."
Mia should have waited for TARBot to pick another sword which would be weaker then his current befor disabeling the ability. He seemed to be weak to her divine magic, but on the other hand her god is the god of machines so it is appropiated that it works so well. Well now she has to face these flying twin blades? Lucky for her they don't seem to attack immediatly. so she puts her hand on the symbol on her blade making the cogwheels spin faster.

Then her edges beginn to emerge two colors one side blue one red like an aura extending the blade. Shes ready for whatever they try
Wenomir also disengages from TARBot, taking advantage of not being attacked for the moment, and moves closer to Mia, going on the defensive as well.

"Haven't your teachers told you that overconfidence kills?" he asks TARBot.

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Thariza sits down on the ground and is silent for a time. She closes her eyes, then opens them again.

"This is going to sound pretty crazy, but I need to go there," she tells Utayo. "I've... been dreaming about this place. About that moment. I need to go there and see it for myself again. Put it to rest. Put myself to rest. I know it doesn't make any sense. But I've been hiding from what happened for a while."
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Vigil

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

A new pair of visitors arrive at VIGIL one sunny afternoon, stepping off the shuttle and setting out towards the base's training grounds. One is a redheaded adolescent of around sixteen, slight in stature with a pair of vulpine tails and an air of nervous optimism about herself. She carries with her a long, two-handed sword, slung over her shoulder in a clasped scabbard that leaves visible only a simple crossguard hilt.

"Wow, um - y'know, I'm not sure I've ever been this far from home before. Like, definitely not vertically, at least," Anastasia remarks to Obriane, glancing down at the ground beneath her. It was honestly a little dizzying to think about - they were so far up in the air, and yet there was so much solid, natural ground beneath and before them. It's certainly not the strangest manner of location in the Nexus, all things considered - but for a teenager with so little breadth of locale and experience, it all still felt a little fantastic.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 238
Joined: Jul 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Location: Somewhere in Fort Knox
Pronouns: He/him
Contact:

Re: Vigil

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

"I'm self-taught. And I say, overconfidence is better than no confidence."

TARBot utilises the brief standoff to do something interesting: in a few milliseconds, he invisibly scans Mia and Wenomir. This doesn't do anything to them directly, but should reveal to him their full legal names and other personal details. Provided, of course, they use the Internet at all.

Meanwhile, the Doublade flies into action. It's targeting Mia, with a flurry of swipes and thrusts that aim to wound her sword hand and force her to drop the sword. One of the Doublade's blades is doing so less intensely than the other, as it's keeping its guard up to defend an attack from Wenomir or Mia.

"So what did your teachers tell you? How to look pretentious?"
Last edited by Gold on Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"Ay, you, it's Gold and I'm noble!" -Gold, Red vs. Gold - Pokémon Rap Battle
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

"It's exactly what it looks like in the guide, see?" Obriane gestures towards her copy of the Nexus Field Guide. A digital book that she had recently invested in.

And it does have photos of the general area which they are standing in right now. "And we're looking for W-e-n-o-mir." She remarks while typing the name in. "Yeah, he's in here as well." Sure enough, a popup with a blurb and a photo of Wenomir has appeared. He looks rather sullen in it. "It even says he sometimes takes apprentices-" Obriane glances at Ana. "Which is what you want, right?"
Image
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Vigil

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can’t Be Cut]

Anastasia nods. ”Its uh, what I’m hoping yeah. Though honestly I'm not sure he'll accept me - I mean, I'm not that special, and it sounds like he's pretty busy as it is." She shrugs. "I guess I'll just, like, have to make a good first impression."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Zefir
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 6:59 am

Re: Vigil

Post by Zefir »

[Training Ground]

For the scan, I am not surw what he thinks he can get. I am also confused how this search works in the first place. Is he looking up their images? Well The Name is Mia Mechanicus which is no secret neither off- or online. For her Personal data there aren't any I would see usefull for him. She is a member of Vigil joined while it was Watchtower. She got her religion spread but her name is less mentioned in that. Only that she held a few fair in the past. Otherwise her informations seem to be restrictuid. Heigth, Age or even abilities aren't mentioned anywhere on the internet. Or not were people have access to.

Mia will block the attacks off with her blade. That is simple training and as they seem to target her arms rather then her torso it is much easier to anticipate their attacks. Neither the less she gets hit twiche, but thats not enougth to let her drop the sword. She would join their confersation and tell TARBot that her master in swordsmanship is right next to her, btu she has to focus here. Tarbot might notice that Mia uses allways the same side two block one of the blades and the other side of her sword when the other one attacks. Since they just attack they should notice to late that the color from her edge has moved on them. And when they finally realize it the blades of the duoblade will feel drawn to each other as they have been magnetical charged. Yay for magnetic magic.
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Fox Can’t Be Cut]

"You seem pretty special to me at least, Ana. You just need to put your mind to it, that's all. Regardless if he takes you in or not you will need to do your best. Either to find a new teacher or following his instructions. You only really fail when you stop trying." Obriane remarks as they walk towards towards Wenomir's office.
Image
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]

There's not much to be found on the Internet about Wenomir except for official information and activities as a commander of Vigil. His legal name seems to be just that - Wenomir. No surname to speak of.

Meanwhile, Wenomir isn't sure why TARBot isn't attacking... but wait. Mia shut down his teleportation ability. And he's stalling so it comes back. Time to press the attack, since Mia seems to be holding out against his summoned creature.

His left hand lashes out, sending two adamantine throwing knives - one at TARBot's head, the other at his chest. He then immediately charges forth, aiming a powerful thrust at his mid-section, then leaping into the air, spinning and landing again, slashing down as he descends.

He can only hope Mia continues to match the summoned creature, as fighting TARBot is likely to occupy all his attention.

[A Fox Can’t Be Cut]

Wenomir won't be found in his office, but various Vigil members can direct Obriane and Anastasia to his home instead. The warrior is in front of it, sitting on a bench and sharpening his weapon. It's unclear why he does it, given that it's indestructible - but it seems to be an important ritual to him.

He's not wearing an official Vigil outfit, but a loose sleeveless shirt, given the weather. It altogether gives the scene a sense that they're approaching him as a private person, not a commander of Vigil. Koshal, his student, should be nearby.
User avatar
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 238
Joined: Jul 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Location: Somewhere in Fort Knox
Pronouns: He/him
Contact:

Re: Vigil

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

TARBot was not expecting that. He instinctively blocks only the knife aimed at his head, since usually the Core in his chest would teleport an incoming projectile out of the way. He realises just too late that that's not working anymore. The unblocked adamantine knife sticks in his core, causing him to stagger backwards in a pained manner.

This hit has left him in a bad spot, but he still has the speed to jump up just before the thrust hits, letting the sword go in between his legs instead, and dash forward so as to run under Wenomir before he can get slashed.

With the dagger still sticking out of his Core, TARBot runs towards Mia and starts barking orders at the Doublade. "Doublade! Hold the old fuck off with Protect. I'm getting what I came here for. Now." The Doublade obeys, flying past TARBot and pulling up a large invisible wall between him and Wenomir which will protect against a single hit of any caliber, but will shatter after. At the same time, TARBot is targeting Mia with another flurry of five slashes, slightly slower than the one launched against Wenomir thanks to the hit on his Core. The pattern this time is alternating between slashes aimed at her midsection and chops aimed at her arm, starting with a slash. TARBot wields the sword with only one hand since he holds Doublade's Pokeball in the other, but the Meowmere magic will mean successful hits feel as if he had been using three hands.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"Ay, you, it's Gold and I'm noble!" -Gold, Red vs. Gold - Pokémon Rap Battle
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 781
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: Vigil

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote:[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

It might just be Utayo's look of concern, or it might be Thariza's comment on it being 'therapeutic', but Ambrosia's attention is drawn to the charr. "Me feeding there shouldn't require you to getting close to that ruin, Thariza. Just to clarify that. There's absolutely no need for you to follow me in there if it causes you distress."

Ambrosia let's out a small sigh. "And we've had far enough of that today." Then she reaches up to touch Thariza's hand. "So please, take care of yourself. You've put yourself in enough danger already."

Then, assuming there's no protests Ambrosia will once again find a good spot and take a meditative pose on the ground.

Then eventually her dragon form can soon be seen flying towards the old VIGIL ruins.
Morty wrote: Aug 02, 2022 8:45 pm [Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Thariza sits down on the ground and is silent for a time. She closes her eyes, then opens them again.

"This is going to sound pretty crazy, but I need to go there," she tells Utayo. "I've... been dreaming about this place. About that moment. I need to go there and see it for myself again. Put it to rest. Put myself to rest. I know it doesn't make any sense. But I've been hiding from what happened for a while."
[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Utayo watches Ambrosia go, then turns her eyes back on Thariza. She nods slowly. "I can understand, in a way. Old ghosts need to be put to rest. Do you wish to do this alone? I can leave you if need be." She offers. She's uncertain if she's imposing.
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

As the dragon has descended upon the ruins Thariza and Utayo can see storm clouds starting to form above it. Wherever this is something Ambrosia has made them do or if this is somehow a byproduct of her consuming spirits isn't clear though.

It does make the ruins look even more ominous however.

Should be noted that Ambrosia's human body is still sitting there not far away from them.
Image
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

"You can go if you want. Might be safer that way." She looks over at Ambrosia's human body. "Ambrosia's magic book should keep her human body safe. But if you have some other way to protect it, it won't hurt."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 944
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Vigil

Post by Keeper »

Morty wrote: Aug 04, 2022 7:53 pm [A Fox Can’t Be Cut]

Wenomir won't be found in his office, but various Vigil members can direct Obriane and Anastasia to his home instead. The warrior is in front of it, sitting on a bench and sharpening his weapon. It's unclear why he does it, given that it's indestructible - but it seems to be an important ritual to him.

He's not wearing an official Vigil outfit, but a loose sleeveless shirt, given the weather. It altogether gives the scene a sense that they're approaching him as a private person, not a commander of Vigil. Koshal, his student, should be nearby.
A Fox Can't be Cut

Koshal is indeed nearby, likewise sharpening his weapon. His crossbow sits nearby, having been maintained earlier as well. It doesn't have a string but he does like to make sure the metal parts are properly oiled in the wood has been treated.
The minotaur seems like he's starting to fill in a bit. He's looking less lanky and his hand-me-down mail is almost starting to look small on him.
He waves to the people approaching but doesn't open his mouth to greet them as he is in Wenomir's home at the moment. It would be impolite to greet guests on his behalf without talking about it beforehand.
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Vigil

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

As the two near Wenomir's house and warrior and apprentice come into view, Anastasia straightens, stiffening with nervousness. Oh boy, she was really about to do this. It's all too easy to read her body language as they near, though Koshal's greeting eases some of the tension in her shoulders and she offers a brief, acknowledging smile. She comes to a stop before the Co-Commander of VIGIL and swallows.

"Um, Wenomir, sir- hello, I was hoping I could talk with you." A beat. "My name's Anastasia, and - well, I hope I'm not bothering you by doing so, but- I am hoping to find someone who could teach me to wield the sword, and it was suggested I come here and speak with you." Her twin tails wave anxiously behind her, but she does her best to quash it in her expression, putting on a friendly and polite face.
Last edited by Arkhosia on Aug 07, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Zefir
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 6:59 am

Re: Vigil

Post by Zefir »

Gold wrote: Aug 04, 2022 8:37 pm [Training Ground]

TARBot was not expecting that. He instinctively blocks only the knife aimed at his head, since usually the Core in his chest would teleport an incoming projectile out of the way. He realises just too late that that's not working anymore. The unblocked adamantine knife sticks in his core, causing him to stagger backwards in a pained manner.

This hit has left him in a bad spot, but he still has the speed to jump up just before the thrust hits, letting the sword go in between his legs instead, and dash forward so as to run under Wenomir before he can get slashed.

With the dagger still sticking out of his Core, TARBot runs towards Mia and starts barking orders at the Doublade. "Doublade! Hold the old fuck off with Protect. I'm getting what I came here for. Now." The Doublade obeys, flying past TARBot and pulling up a large invisible wall between him and Wenomir which will protect against a single hit of any caliber, but will shatter after. At the same time, TARBot is targeting Mia with another flurry of five slashes, slightly slower than the one launched against Wenomir thanks to the hit on his Core. The pattern this time is alternating between slashes aimed at her midsection and chops aimed at her arm, starting with a slash. TARBot wields the sword with only one hand since he holds Doublade's Pokeball in the other, but the Meowmere magic will mean successful hits feel as if he had been using three hands.
[Training Ground]

Mia is aware that TARBot is faster then her and doesn't wait for him to close tha gap. She jumps backwards and makes his first swing goe into thin air, but there is still the strange cat projectile. Mia hasn't forgotten, but now close range it feels a lot stronger and pushes her back. Sadly that get's her of balance which means she can't dodge his second swing and just holds her sword to parry it. Tarbots attack pattern is rather 2 dimensional after all. Thought that hit has even more impact. She can hold it up since her Training under Wenomir has increased her strength, but she has to do something. Some with the third attack, but it will be noticabe that Mia staggers. The fourth his send her back on the ground, not loosing her sword. As he swing for his final attack something gets thrown at the robot. It's the upper section of a training dummy.
Depending on how TARBot reacts it either hits him and should throw him of or he uses his last swing toslash the dummy away. If he looks at the direction it came from he will see two other dummys standing close by now playing dumb.

Either way should he be distracted for just a moment Mia will try to pierce through the robots core with ehr sword.
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 781
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: Vigil

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Aug 05, 2022 11:44 am [Dragon Storm - An Aside]

As the dragon has descended upon the ruins Thariza and Utayo can see storm clouds starting to form above it. Wherever this is something Ambrosia has made them do or if this is somehow a byproduct of her consuming spirits isn't clear though.

It does make the ruins look even more ominous however.

Should be noted that Ambrosia's human body is still sitting there not far away from them.
Morty wrote: Aug 06, 2022 12:39 pm [Dragon Storm - An Aside]

"You can go if you want. Might be safer that way." She looks over at Ambrosia's human body. "Ambrosia's magic book should keep her human body safe. But if you have some other way to protect it, it won't hurt."
[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Utayo looks slightly concerned at this prospect. "As long as you're sure that's alright... I could leave a drone behind to monitor her at the very least." Without waiting for confirmation on that she takes her satchel off her back and digs into it. She produces a device with spidery legs and some sort of lopsided octahedron stone with strange markings on it suspended in its main body. As she sets it on the ground a low glow comes from inside of its body and it stands up on its legs.
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Thariza breathes out.

"Alright. Let's... do this."

She sets out towards the ruins, along the disused path.

"I wonder how much of the place is left. I don't know why it exploded. Or why the demons didn't occupy it."
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

As the two have had this exchange the storm clouds have only grown larger and as they enter the ruins it has started to rain and soon enough they can also hear thunder.

Seems like Ambrosia has a tendency to create and attract storms. Figures.

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Obriane wasn't expecting everything to be laid out this conveniently as she approaches his home. Usually there were secretaries, phone calls, wait time...
But here they were actually granted access to someone's home which to her felt like a invasion of privacy. People showing up at their apartment for a job would probably be turned away. Yet it seemed to be a different work culture in VIGIL.
This Wenomir even seemed preoccupied with something else yet they were allowed to just walk up.

Well, here Ana was introducing herself so she certainly wasn't going to object. She just hoped Wenomir was as welcoming as VIGIL seemed to be open to newcomers.
Image
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]

Wenomir pursues TARBot immediately, only to run straight into the wall. With a colorful array of curses, it doesn't take him long to realize the invisible wall is gone now. Once that happens, he throws another dagger at TARBot's back and resumes his advance with dizzying speed. However, TARBot did gain valuable time.

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Wenomir regards Anastasia and Obriane for a moment, then stands up, stretching out to his full height. He rests the tip of his sword against the ground. They can now see the three runes on the blade hear the cross-guard.

"Many people come here asking me to teach them. I accept some, like Koshal here, but I couldn't teach everyone who comes to me. Why do you want to learn from me, of all available teachers, and why should I choose you as another of my students?"
User avatar
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Posts: 781
Joined: May 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Contact:

Re: Vigil

Post by Gullara »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Utayo looks up as the first rain drop hits her. The power of a dragon is not unexpected, but still awe inspiring to experience in person.

"So this place was once where Vigil resided. And these demons, they were some foe of yours?" She asks. She's getting thrust into some of the history of this plane quite rapidly.
Image
~Images by Soushiyo
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 944
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Vigil

Post by Keeper »

A Fox Can't Be Cut

Koshal winces. Master Wenomiiiir, you can't just stick your sword on the ground! What if the ground/floor is abrasive and ruins the tip? You can't get into bad habits just because you have an unbreakable magic sword!
Koshal stands up since everyone else is standing but stays out of the conversation for now. He's without question the tallest person here. Faye, his shadow blink dog, manifests from her usual position of being Koshal's shadow. The girl seems nervous. People are usually less nervous around friendly dogs. Faye gives her cutest dog stare, tongue out.
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Vigil

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Anastasia stiffens a little as Wenomir gets up off the bench. He has almost foot of height over her, and cuts a rather imposing figure - but the foxgirl refuses to let that cow her, and she doesn't flinch at his questions. "Truth be told, you're the first person I'm asking - if you think I am not a good fit for your training, and I might be better suited under Miss Calm Reed, Miss Ambrosia or any of the other swordspeople around here, I will understand."

Anastasia takes a deep breath. "My name is Anastasia Bellamy. It, um, used to be Anastasia Haz'wehrs - I live in Riverside, you see, and- well, I lost my parents during the invasion. It... well, I mean, it was really scary, but that's not exactly why I'm here - while I really want to be able to defend myself if something ever comes after me again, I'm not here to ask you to teach me how to fight so I can like, go off and kill demons so I can avenge them or anything."

Anastasia steps forward, tugging the sheathed blade off over her shoulder. She opens a pair of clasps on the scabbard and levers the weapon out of it, setting the leather aside and presenting it to Wenomir carefully. The weapon is silvered, and at this distance he can read a foreign, flowing script along the base of the blade. While there are signs of long wear and use, the weapon hasn't seen combat in several years - however, it has been incredibly well maintained.

"T-this was my father's sword. My parents were both adventurers before they came to the Nexus - and, um, it's... well, it's pretty much all I have left of them." Anastasia swallows, pulling her eyes from the blade and back to meet Wenomir's. "It was passed down for generations in their family, but growing up, I never really showed interest, so, they never taught me to wield it. A-and now that they're gone, I realize that I didn't really know them as well as I wanted to."

"And uh... that's why I am here, really. Knowing how to fight was important to them, to their whole family, really. A-and whatever philosophy you follow is probably different from the one they did, but - if I can understand what it means to be a swordswoman, maybe I can better understand the people who first raised me, and honor what I still have left of them." The teenager holds eye contact with Wenomir the entire time she speaks.

Anastasia looks towards Wenomir, studying his reaction. There's a certain nervousness behind her eyes - she knows that she's speaking quite a lot, and asking much as someone with little to truly show for herself in the moment. And yet, there is not much apprehension - if anything, there is a certain sense of quiet resolve. She is neither resigned to dismissal or desperate for acceptance. She has worked up a certain courage to ask, and now that she has, she will accept whatever answer he has for her with grace and understanding.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 238
Joined: Jul 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Location: Somewhere in Fort Knox
Pronouns: He/him
Contact:

Re: Vigil

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

The dummy does hit TARBot, interrupting his final swing. This means Mia actually gets a clean hit on his Energy Core, piercing through it and him. This causes TARBot to drop his Meowmere, and it clatters to the ground with a yowl! Meanwhile, electricity begins arcing wildly out of the robot's chest, which is highly liable to burn or electrocute Mia if she isn't careful.

"If-f I didn't know an-n-ny better... I'd th-th-think you were... trying to k-kill me." he says, in a voice filled with static.

Using his now-free hand, TARBot immediately grabs on to the blade of Mia's sword, seemingly no longer worried about cutting his hand. His grip, though shaky, is still strong, and he aims to keep it exactly where he is.

"But r-robots don't die... un-n-ntil our mission is d-d-done." he says, in a voice dripping with either determination or continued overconfidence.

With a great effort, TARBot jumps a few feet in the air, and hovers there. He then leans back heavily, causing the sword's grip to point skyward. This means Mia, unless she lets go of it, should be hanging off of it since the hilt is in the air.

Now that he's in this bent-over-backwards position, he looks behind himself and glimpses Wenomir fighting the Doublade. The two blades are fighting as best they can despite being stuck together, having formed themselves into something of a double-bladed sword. The Doublade takes the hit from the dagger, severely wounding but not fainting it.

"D-Doublade... use Destiny Bond." he orders, in a voice loaded with the feeling of putting someone you don't like in checkmate.

As Wenomir advances on TARBot, a dark purple orb flies from the Doublade and touches him, briefly surrounding the both of them with a purple glow. Then, the Doublade, still between the swordsman and swordsbot, orients itself so that it will stab Wenomir in his midsection if he does not hit it first. It'll try its best to mirror any evasive actions he makes to ensure he has to hit it or get stabbed, though he may be able to outmanoeuvre it if he's quick enough. If he does hit it, though, it will faint and crash into the ground, and thanks to the ghostly magic of Destiny Bond, this should knock out Wenomir too.

While this happens, TARBot will return to a standing position whilst trying to pull the sword from his chest, by the hilt this time. Due to his damaged state, his balance is quite off at this point, which Mia might pick up on.
Last edited by Gold on Aug 10, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"Ay, you, it's Gold and I'm noble!" -Gold, Red vs. Gold - Pokémon Rap Battle
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Wenomir regards Anastasia during her speech.

"I understand the desire for revenge. The demons took much from me as well. It's good that you can control it." He rests his sword on his shoulder and suddenly it blurs and shifts. Where there was a longsword before is now a greatsword, of the same length and weight as Anastasia's - but with a different hilt and retaining its original color. There are also three runes on the blade, same as before. "The way of the warrior is chosen, not inherited. Your parents might have known it, if they didn't try to mold you in their image. Do you understand it? It needs to be your choice, not a choice you think they'd have made." Which is something Anastasia said already. But maybe Wenomir is trying to make her think about it and repeat it.
User avatar
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: May 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Location: 🚮
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Vigil

Post by Beans »

[New Arrival]

The redheaded woman that steps off the shuttle grips the strap of her battered duffel bag, squeezing it with a morgue-pale hand. "No big deal, no big deal..." She looks up the length of the island, then glances out into the vast expanse of sky all around. Shit, everything's big. Maybe she should just go back down where little broken things like her belong---

NO. She grips the bag's strap so hard it hurts a little, the muscles of her forearm bulging a little. No, she is strong and she is capable and she can do something that matters, more than just throwing around muggers in alleys. She just needs... something to help her. Vigil can do that. "You got this, Vo, you got this..."

The stitch-marked redhead trudges up from the shuttle dock toward the Academy building, running through her little script in her head all the while. My name is Vo, I'm here to join Vigil. I'm strong and I want to stop bad things but I need to learn discipline and focus. My name is Vo, I'm here to join Vigil...
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Vigil

Post by Arkhosia »

New Arrival

As Vo reaches the academy, she'll see a pair of figures standing in front of the structure. There, a blonde catgirl with a stern pink eyes and a expression is speaking to a slim brown-haired woman with tanned skin and a scarred face, who seems to be nodding as if following along while the catgirl offers her advice.

Both of them are dressed casually, though the latter definitely moreso - the blonde is in jeans, a simple shirt and a military jacket, while the brunette wears a hoodie, stockings and a short skirt. They are, however, both armed, with a pistol on the blonde's hip and a pair of knives on the brunette's.

"...so I think you should consider talking with Kal. I didn't know half of the things I knew until I asked him for advice, frankly. Not a bad teacher, either," the catgirl suggests.

"Okay, thank you. I've uh, mostly learned on my own 'til now, so that might be pretty good." the brunette smiles awkwardly. "Y'know I'm kinda surprised, I never figured you woulda known how to use a knife. Since, well, you seem like a point and shoot kinda gal."

"Er, yes, but... well, I don't think I have to tell you that things get uncomfortably close sometimes." Blanche's ears twitch, and she looks up over at the new arrival. "Oh, hello - I don't think I've seen you here before."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: May 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Location: 🚮
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Vigil

Post by Beans »

[New Arrival]

Vo adjusts her cheap-framed glasses; her flannel shirt and jeans look well-worn, as does her stitched patchwork skin. As she gets close enough, they may even notice that her patches of freckles don't line up across those stitch marks. Her eyes dart between them and she swallows.

"H---uh---hi, uh, I'm Vo. I'm he---I came to join VIGIL, uh, 'cause---" She squeezes the strap of her bag again, her taut forearm muscles like steel cables as her grip tightens anxiously. "---I---there's... bad stuff a-an' I wanna stop it, an' I'm strong, but---like, I'm not... I'm, I need to learn focus a-an' stuff."

She looks down, shifting a little on her feet. This is going so badly already. How hard could it be to just say some words she'd practiced? She's not really making a good case for herself like this. But she can't just run now, that'd be worse, right? So she forces herself to look back up at the two women.
User avatar
Lady Serpentine
Fresh Baby Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: May 16, 2022 4:38 am

Re: Vigil

Post by Lady Serpentine »

[New Arrivals]

Not long after Vo's arrival in the Academy courtyard, she's joined by another new face. Though this one isn't marked by stitches, and so almost certainly stands out at least a little bit less. She's still quite recognizable, however, and so just as plainly marked as not a regular visitor.

Black hair ruthlessly clipped short in a style easily maintained by quickly running a brush through it stands in stark contrast to skin as white as polished bones. That, in turn, frames blood-red eyes, and a pair of truly dangerous-seeming fangs hide behind her pale lips, ready to come into view the moment she opens her mouth. Even more striking, however, is the fact that she has four arms; one pair seems entirely normal for a human, but the other is smaller, and set lower on her torso. They're not vestigial, precisely, but they're obviously not her primary set.

The dark red blouse she's wearing is tailored to accommodate them, though how they join to her body is kept hidden. Her upper shoulders, on the other hand, are bare save for a pair of emerald straps that might be from a bra or some kind of undershirt, and her pants are loose-fitting without being bulky, the black fabric tucked into the tops of her equally-dark boots. All together, it's an outfit suited for working (or fighting) in, though it's clearly been put together with the intention of being acceptable for at least a moderately formal occasion despite that.

The final touch that might be apparent to a careful observer is the pair of holy symbols she's wearing. The more obvious of the two is the small golden charm in the shape of a shield dangling from an otherwise-unadorned black collar around her neck. Not that remarkable in itself, but the noose that trails away into ragged threads painted on the front of it is rather more striking. The other dangles from a thin silver chain, a seven-pointed star with a vertical crack nearly splitting it in two half-hidden by the neck of her shirt.
User avatar
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: May 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Location: 🚮
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Vigil

Post by Beans »

[New Arrivals]

Vo hears someone approaching from behind her and starts turning very quickly---but midway through, she tries to make it not look like she's so skittish. All she manages to do is look awkward. Her green eyes flick over the four-armed gal, but she doesn't want to look like she's staring. Only partly looking at her, she swallows. "H---um, hi, are... you here to join too?" She looks like she's got it together. She's dressed a lot better, certainly. Vo wonders what those two necklaces are about, and why one is broken.
Post Reply