Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Extraction Successful]

"It's called Tojin's Tooth and it's a sea stack just off the coast near a village known as Nazato. Of course, remember that I'm still trying to keep my true nature out of public knowledge so tell the engineers you send to be discrete. In fact, it might be best if I carry them there myself." Ambrosia pauses.

"Actually, did I tell you why I like to keep all of this a secret? It's to prevent being controlled again. Like when I was made to attack this base not too long ago." The dragon looks to the sides as for empathize.

[Khafir and Cessie]

"That depends, do you believe disciplinary action would be effective, Khafir? Since I know your mind functions differently than most people's and there would little point in disciplinary actions if nothing changed other than sending a message to other members who don't have the same altered brain function. So I'm genuinely asking you what you believe to be the most effective way of dealing with this issue."
Image
User avatar
Zefir
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 6:59 am

Re: Vigil

Post by Zefir »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 03, 2022 1:06 pm [Briefing Room]

"Um... well, that's... not entirely true." Eun stammers. "Doctor Khafir and I both have access to intensive scanning devices. We could get a good look at our captive's power core without harming them in any way. The hard part would be passing off the replica as legitimate, since we can't just plug in a false core over top of the real one, and it would be suspicious if VIGIL apparently dismantled a captive."

"That is a considerable overcomplication." Khafir replies with a little frown. "This is a task that could be accomplished with the addition of an implanted memory device no larger than an office paper clip. We would simply give our guest a backdoor to prevent them from crashing themself, and still have a trap planted for their assailant."

"...Even so, this wouldn't be our first line of defense." Eun points out. "If we leave our captive unguarded, it will give away the presence of a trap immediately, and since the assailant would probably rip out the core to use it, the virus would kick in too late to save them. We would still need a more traditional solution to layer on top of this, but if all else fails, we can ensure they never get any further than this."
[Briefing Room]

"Having a copy of our prisoner would be an easy task. I could even simulate his ability, but with a limit." Mia replies. She is a bit annoyed by them, because it sound they are the only one able to do such things, but on the other hand she never had contact with them anyway.

"Using our PRISONER would be out of the question anyways. From my observation he only gave us this information because he is cornered. If he is set free he will properbly flee rather then taking any risk. After all his escape has worked so far.
We didn't make it public that he was imprisoned by us so there shouldn't be any informations. Still him appearing by the guy he runs away from or something may rise questions."


"Befor we get stuck with that Virus we might think about a way to controll his ability from afar. In case of our prisoner I could anchor his movement to our dimension, but I don't have something in mind for time travle."
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Khafir and Cessie]

"You are referring to my diminished limbic system." Khafir surmises. "And the inherent futility of using aversion conditioning on someone who does not experience aversion. If I may be frank, Commander, I believe that is the wrong question." She gives a stiff little nod in the direction Rein and Ambrosia went. "Were you not telling me just a moment ago that the problem here is one of perception? The solution would be steeped in the same. Whether the act has any effect on me is irrelevant; it only needs to appear to." She straightens her neck. "...If you feel the need to take a more personalized approach after they've left, for proper corrective purposes, we can pursue that matter without the imminent deadline of our guests vacating the premises."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Khafir and Cessie]

"I am planning to tell Rein that I've talked to you regarding your treatment of Klaus if that's what you're referring to. As to say, that I've given you a warning. Though anything beyond that would feel a bit forced at this point don't you think? However, as we've both pointed out now, if you cannot change yourself then at least the perception of you can and I think there's a way to do that. See, VIGIL employs many other members with a divergent brain function and rather than making them hide it I prefer to take advantage of their unique perspective."

She gestures to the doctor. "And you're no different Khafir. So how would you feel about educating people in HALO and VIGIL about your implants? Not just yours specifically but neural implants in general. Since I think it would not only make more people understand you but perhaps also make people see their advantages and thus improve our organization overall in the long run."
Image
Ember
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 69
Joined: Oct 09, 2022 12:07 am
Location: Wouldn't you like to know, weather boy?
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Vigil

Post by Ember »

[Raptors!]
Morty wrote: Nov 06, 2022 10:12 pm"It has been several months since I last saw you." Wenomir is growing increasingly concerned. What happened here? "But yes, you can pet her. She's quite friendly. I've only just begun training her. She needs to get to know this place." Coco sits back, fluffing her feathers to appear larger and makes a cooing sound in Iamar's direction.
Iamar crouches down to Coco's level, and reaches out slowly - not out of hesitance, but to show her that there is nothing to fear, that she's safe, before gently stroking down her neck. She continues like that for a moment, before Wenomir's words finally sink in, and she looks back up. "That... cannot be right. I returned from a small mission just last night, did I not?"
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Raptors!]

Coco seems happy enough for the attention, preening and cooing.

"What was the mission?" Wenomir asks. "It should be in our records. Then we can check the date on it."
User avatar
Arkhosia
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:07 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Vigil

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Far Too Early]

"Magic always was a blind spot of yours back in the day, if I've heard right," Blanche comments, "so I guess it would make sense for that to apply to the original as much as you." She's pretty sure it's why Needs exists in the first place, after all. Or at least, she hopes that was the plan and that her very strange new uncle(?) didn't just decide to start reading Necronomicons for the fun of it.

"A couple redundancies here might not hurt - some kind of tracking magic on the device itself seems wise, and I wouldn't be surprised if we have that in place already as part of security. We can also make an effort to secure something we can use to track during the escape, maybe have someone already given a heads-up and prepared to follow even before the jailbreak starts." As to Cessie's question, Blanche cedes it to Magtok. There was the fact that he had originally planned this to be an actual jailbreak, but she wasn't going to let that little bit of doubt-inducing knowledge slip out first.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
User avatar
Reinholdt
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Reinholdt »

[Extraction Successful]

"Tojin's Tooth, got it. I, um... don't know how they'd feel about riding in a dragon's mouth. There's probably other ways to keep things discrete. A fishing trip perhaps." Just keep the parts they need in various tackle boxes, nobody would look twice.

Hearing why she wanted to keep it all a secret is indeed a first for Rein. He raises an eyebrow in concern for Ambrosia. "Is controlling dragons common from where you come from? Or is it just something you've come across since coming to the Nexus?" She was forced to attack Vigil, but had she been controlled even before then? Not that once isn't enough. Not exactly a thing anyone wants repeated. Well anyone who wasn't extremely kinky.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Khafir and Cessie]

"..."

For a moment, Khafir is silent. Cessie might get the impression that she managed to surprise her, or at least confuse her. It certainly takes time to process; from where she's sitting, Khafir can't help but see the proposition as something of a non-sequitur... "you should be in trouble, but instead I'm asking you to educate our guests on why your behavior is acceptable, actually".

"...I fail to see how that relates to the current situation." Khafir says finally. "As another matter, I would give it due consideration. The long-term health of this organization, as with any other, would benefit from understanding between its members. However, in the here and now, I do not believe explaining the quad-spatial mechanics that power my clairvoyance, or the impediments that come with the limbectomy needed to create space for the necessary organs, will have a positive effect on our guests' perception of the incident." She frowns. "Quite the opposite. One might get the impression that we intended to make an excuse for my breach of conduct."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Khafir and Cessie]

"Does it? Since you having to make lectures at HALO might seem more like a punishment. And of course it's an excuse, Khafir. But you literally can't change your mind so it's a good one. Since what would be the alternative? Fire you? Make you remove your implants? Just sounds like ways to be cruel. Especially as actually punishing you seem far more of a dishonest alternative than this is."

Cessie shakes her head. "But we have digressed enough. We need to focus on the Klaus situation."

[Extraction Successful]

"It's something I've known about my entire life. See, where I'm from my kin, the dragons, were created by the fey to rule over mortals while we in turn were controlled by them through means I don't completely understand yet. For this reason I've tried to keep a low profile for as long as I've existed to not fall under their sway. Masquerading as a human just to interact with the rest of the world."

She shakes her head. "In fact, if not for my adoptive father I would probably would have been born in slavery. A puppet of the fey. I thought perhaps that I would be free of their control in the nexus. Which was why I've grown more brazen about using my dragon body until the incident at VIGIL happened. Since it seems like not even around here I am truly free of their influence."
Image
User avatar
Reinholdt
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Reinholdt »

[Extraction Successful]

Reinholdt frowns sympathetically. "I... see. That's truly awful to hear, I'm sorry you've been through that. I'll be exceptionally discrete, do not worry. I used to live and die off the information and secrets I had." Even made a deal with Helios once, though don't ask him about what, he doesn't have time to dig through those archives of his life!

"Well it will probably please you to know that HALO is planning a big move against a big name fey soon. Granted, participation is voluntary, so don't feel pressured to put yourself at risk or anything." Honestly just a matter of pushing the button and calling the meeting to get HALO's plan against the King in Rags underway. Probably do it after this business with Klaus concludes.
► SHOW SPOILER
User avatar
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer
Posts: 85
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 9:33 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Magtok »

Far Too Early
Cessie wrote: Nov 04, 2022 11:09 am"So Magtok, how exactly were you planning to have the chip 'accidentally' fall into his hands?" She raises her hand. "To clarify, I don't expect you to have a full plan for it yet but it would be good to hear a basic idea at least."
"The way I see it, our best option is to have one of our best liars sneak into the prison with the implant, claiming to be a hypnotized double-agent sent to infiltrate the prison, set the clone free and cover his escape. Hail God-Emperor Magtok, etcetera, etcetera. The clone nods, happy he's still important enough to have a rescue mission organized on his behalf, and doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth as he steps past the hypnotized goon and flexes his telekinetic muscle to break out of prison," Magtok explains, idly wondering if there's anyone in Vigil who could genuinely hypnotize a consenting volunteer. It's probably not that hard to pretend to be a mind control victim, but a little bit of extra authenticity wouldn't hurt, right? The best lies are the ones virtually indistinguishable from the truth.

"It's either that or someone 'accidentally' trips and drops the implant on his side of the cell, or they hand it over during an interrogation for cooperating with questions about Prime, not realizing how powerful it really is. Both of those two alternatives are really bad, because they predispose the clone towards vindictively harming the person who mistakenly helps him. I'd rather not have someone get telekinetically smashed through a wall just because Prime's puppet was feeling petty and happened to feel like hurting someone on his way out the door." Some collateral damage is expected when trying to stage a prison break, but Magtok would much rather the damage was all Vigil's property and architecture, and not its staff. Wenomir can scowl all he wants if Vigil has to pay a hefty repair bill later, but it'll be a very bittersweet victory if Mag's plan gets an innocent person killed right at the very beginning.

"Now, for tracking, I'm fine with whatever magic or fancy tricks or bloodhounds you've got. I don't have anything that can reliably follow a psychic from a distance without getting spotted, so that part of the operation is all yours. I'd like to suggest snipers, but I don't know what his telepathic range will be, so if you want someone to follow him from afar to try to pop his head like a balloon, you'll want someone who can keep their head completely empty under pressure." Magtok is trying really, really hard to keep himself from looking in Blanche's direction when he suggests snipers with nothing going on upstairs. He's so sorely tempted to glance her way, even if just for a moment, but it would sabotage the plan, the relationship, the catgirl's feelings...it would be funny, but not that funny. It's just not worth it this time, unfortunately.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Deviltok by Miss Nobody
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Extraction Successful]

The dragon nods solemnly. "I appreciate the commitment. But I wouldn't have committed to your cause if I hadn't been expecting it truth to be told. The idea of working together towards a noble goal is a nice change of pace."
She pauses if only to allow him to reply and her head draws closer as she seems intrigued by the idea. "Is that so? Can you tell me more or is that leadership information only? Since I would have nothing to fear from the fey while in my human body."
Image
User avatar
Reinholdt
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Reinholdt »

[Extraction Successful]

"It's not some confidential secret or anything," Reinholdt says, probably a little too used to playing things close to the chest. "We've been tasked with writing and publishing a story that paints a fey called the King in Rags in a bad light. Make it so he's defeated by some heroine or his plans are foiled and the hero realizes he isn't so scary... some such thing. I'll go into it more with everyone when I call the meeting, but the idea is just that he's the kind of fey who feeds on stories and comes to mirror them in some ways, so we're going to give him one he doesn't much care for and spread it around as much as possible."
► SHOW SPOILER
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Extraction Successful]

Ambrosia's head tilts to the side at the mention of this name. "That's... strangely convenient." The dragon pauses, collecting her thoughts for this painful recollection.

"VIGIL never actually gave you much information about what happened here when I was made to attacked the base then? I did ask them to keep my true identity secret but I had assumed they would have at least told you who was responsible for the attack. Since unless two fey share exactly the same name this Rag King was the one who was controlling me. I visited him in my human body to learn more about him and the dragons he was said to command. But believing that fey of other worlds had no hold of me I decided to go after him once my human self had left."

This would be a natural part for a pause but yet she continues as if afraid for what Rein's comment on it might be. "It was arrogant of me, I know. But such is the folly of my kind it seems. At least I managed to best his dragon in battle first. A small patch on my wounded pride considering it was a mere slave to his will." The dragon let's out a deep snort. Something looking like mist billowing from her nostrils. "But now that I shared that, I'm curious. How did you learn of this fey and why did you decide to stand against him?"
Image
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 09, 2022 6:57 am [Khafir and Cessie]

"Does it? Since you having to make lectures at HALO might seem more like a punishment. And of course it's an excuse, Khafir. But you literally can't change your mind so it's a good one. Since what would be the alternative? Fire you? Make you remove your implants? Just sounds like ways to be cruel. Especially as actually punishing you seem far more of a dishonest alternative than this is."

Cessie shakes her head. "But we have digressed enough. We need to focus on the Klaus situation."
[Khafir and Cessie]

Khafir cocks her head, eyeing Cessie with what could best be described as an expression of pure bemusement. "...Not quite." She says, turning off the device next to Klaus and putting her hands on her hips. "Because it sounds as though there may be a misconception on your part, which will need to be corrected before any command decisions are made on this matter. I am not incapable of 'changing my mind', as the term is used idiomatically. I simply do not neurologically respond to incentive. You cannot intimidate me into compliance, nor do I experience aversion as is necessary for conditioning. Conversely, I do not act on sentiment or zeal. Whatever decisions I make, I make unemotionally." She crosses her arms. "Which leaves only logic and a sense of the consequences of my actions. If you have a need for me to change procedure, all you need to do is ask and explain, logically, why the change is necessary, and I will adjust accordingly." She straightens up and looks at Cessie down her chin. "...As an aside, I would also point out that 'removing my implants' would not change that aspect of our interactions. I do not behave this way because there is something where my limbic system would be. I behave this way because my limbic system is not there. Removing the sensory organ that now occupies that space would only blind my third eye; it would not restore emotional responses to my brain." She stiffens. "...Am I being clear?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Briefing Room]

"If you take a good look at the device that powers him and his other systems, maybe you could fake the signals they give," Wenomir suggests. "Then we could lure the target into a trap. Of course, he wouldn't believe that his quarry is just approaching his home like that."

[Far Too Early]

"Pretending to be mind-controlled is probably more reliable. It's what the clone would want to believe, so he'd do most of the work in his own head. Of course, there's always the possibility of the clone being vindictive regardless." After being defeated and captured, someone so arrogant and cruel is going to lash out at any available target. "Tracking him and taking him down quickly would be a challenge, regardless. Many of our people are strong-willed, but it's still a gamble to pit that against Prime's power."
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Briefing Room]

"More importantly, we could also mask the signals with the same method." Eun points out, scribbling something down on her clipboard. "A little destructive interference could make our prisoner that much harder to track when we inevitably release them."

"...That sounds... questionable." Khafir mutters.

"...Or, um... or we could not do that." Eun backtracks clumsily.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Reinholdt
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Reinholdt »

[Extraction Successful]

Reinholdt maintains a general poker face as Ambrosia explains her situation in greater detail. "Well, for what it's worth, I'm glad you got out of that situation alright." He makes no further inquiries or comments about the attack as it seemed a sensitive subject.

"I can't take any of the credit in that regard. All of the work regarding the King in Rags was done first by Maria, our librarian, and then Zhareen and Korrina of the Fourth Tower after Maria recruited them. She found the ubiquitous nature of the story of the Banished King across cultures both living and dead, far and wide to be too coincidental for her liking and I guess unheard of in anthropology? I guess. Anyways, Zhareen and Korrina went out into the field and discovered the King in Rags was somehow responsible for the story and drawing power from it. So similar countermeasures were suggested," Reinholdt says, rubbing the back of his neck.
► SHOW SPOILER
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Khafir and Cessie]

Well, this was going poorly. They were both talking past one another it seemed which demonstrated how little good will she had earned from Khafir. Nothing to it she supposed.

Cessie takes a deep breath.

"First of all, I didn't mean so suggest that removing your implants would cause that. I meant to demonstrate just how unrealistic that whole argument would be. To just tell someone to change or recommend some other simple solution that ultimately wouldn't solve anything. Since there are no simple solutions here." She let's out a small sigh.

"As you might have noticed, I am struggling during our interactions." The commander gestures to Khafir. "Since everything you've told me I know yet it's still difficult to wrap my head around. I mean, even if I would punish you I don't know how. Cut your pay? Demote you? Since those seem like drastic solutions to me. Especially since I don't even know if they would be effective."

[Extraction Successful]

"Really? Fascinating. Sounds like joining HALO was even more fortuitous than I thought. I will need to speak to these people as soon as possible so I can help out." Not to mention having a gander at their library. "Perhaps you could give Maria a call and tell her that I'd like to speak to her and the others involved in this project?"

She pauses for a moment. "Actually, another question I had, just how many within HALO knows of what I am besides yourself and Dorota?"
Image
Ember
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 69
Joined: Oct 09, 2022 12:07 am
Location: Wouldn't you like to know, weather boy?
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Vigil

Post by Ember »

[Raptors!]
Morty wrote: Nov 08, 2022 12:15 amCoco seems happy enough for the attention, preening and cooing.

"What was the mission?" Wenomir asks. "It should be in our records. Then we can check the date on it."
Iamar gives Coco a few more strokes down her neck and a couple of scritches under her chin, before standing back up.

"It was..." She quickly shakes her head, like she's trying to deal with a headache. "I was scouting a mage's place of operations, I believe. I'm... afraid the details escape my mind right now, but I surely made a report when I returned."
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 11, 2022 12:01 pm [Khafir and Cessie]

Well, this was going poorly. They were both talking past one another it seemed which demonstrated how little good will she had earned from Khafir. Nothing to it she supposed.

Cessie takes a deep breath.

"First of all, I didn't mean so suggest that removing your implants would cause that. I meant to demonstrate just how unrealistic that whole argument would be. To just tell someone to change or recommend some other simple solution that ultimately wouldn't solve anything. Since there are no simple solutions here." She let's out a small sigh.

"As you might have noticed, I am struggling during our interactions." The commander gestures to Khafir. "Since everything you've told me I know yet it's still difficult to wrap my head around. I mean, even if I would punish you I don't know how. Cut your pay? Demote you? Since those seem like drastic solutions to me. Especially since I don't even know if they would be effective."
[Khafir and Cessie]

"On the contrary." Khafir straightens, giving Cessie a stoic stare. "...I do not make a habit of condoning this line of reasoning, but perhaps you are simply thinking of me as too human." She crosses her arms behind her back. "Conditioning through punishment is a very human way of handling misbehavior. We employ it from a young age and maintain it on the macro level all throughout adulthood. But the mechanisms by which it functions demand emotional responses, an evolutionary advantage I no longer have."

Khafir turns to a convenient nearby window and rests her hands on the windowsill. "...So rather than think of me as a human, despite clearly not behaving like one, it may be more productive from a disciplinary standpoint to think of me the way you would a malfunctioning machine. If your computer is not behaving the way it should, you do not yell at it, threaten to cut its power supply, or give it a lengthy lecture over how it has disappointed you; all of those would be unproductive. You take it in to be repaired, have its hard drive scoured of viruses, replace broken components, reboot in a controlled environment." She lifts her hands and returns them to her sides. "...And because I know we live in a world where it is entirely possible to take my advice far too literally, no, I am not advocating brain surgery. I am advocating remedial training."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Raptors!]

"Hmm." That's not very precise. "Let's go to the command centre. We should be able to find that mission in the archives."
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Magtok wrote: Nov 09, 2022 9:00 am Far Too Early

"The way I see it, our best option is to have one of our best liars sneak into the prison with the implant, claiming to be a hypnotized double-agent sent to infiltrate the prison, set the clone free and cover his escape. Hail God-Emperor Magtok, etcetera, etcetera. The clone nods, happy he's still important enough to have a rescue mission organized on his behalf, and doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth as he steps past the hypnotized goon and flexes his telekinetic muscle to break out of prison," Magtok explains, idly wondering if there's anyone in Vigil who could genuinely hypnotize a consenting volunteer. It's probably not that hard to pretend to be a mind control victim, but a little bit of extra authenticity wouldn't hurt, right? The best lies are the ones virtually indistinguishable from the truth.

"It's either that or someone 'accidentally' trips and drops the implant on his side of the cell, or they hand it over during an interrogation for cooperating with questions about Prime, not realizing how powerful it really is. Both of those two alternatives are really bad, because they predispose the clone towards vindictively harming the person who mistakenly helps him. I'd rather not have someone get telekinetically smashed through a wall just because Prime's puppet was feeling petty and happened to feel like hurting someone on his way out the door." Some collateral damage is expected when trying to stage a prison break, but Magtok would much rather the damage was all Vigil's property and architecture, and not its staff. Wenomir can scowl all he wants if Vigil has to pay a hefty repair bill later, but it'll be a very bittersweet victory if Mag's plan gets an innocent person killed right at the very beginning.

"Now, for tracking, I'm fine with whatever magic or fancy tricks or bloodhounds you've got. I don't have anything that can reliably follow a psychic from a distance without getting spotted, so that part of the operation is all yours. I'd like to suggest snipers, but I don't know what his telepathic range will be, so if you want someone to follow him from afar to try to pop his head like a balloon, you'll want someone who can keep their head completely empty under pressure." Magtok is trying really, really hard to keep himself from looking in Blanche's direction when he suggests snipers with nothing going on upstairs. He's so sorely tempted to glance her way, even if just for a moment, but it would sabotage the plan, the relationship, the catgirl's feelings...it would be funny, but not that funny. It's just not worth it this time, unfortunately.
Far Too Early

Cessie considers these options for a little while in silence. "...Magtok, you know Prime better than me so how likely would he believe us simply handing him the chip in exchange for an alliance? The reason being that we need his help to go up against what we think is a bigger threat. Perhaps we could say that we believe that the Mag-collective is a threat to the nexus as a whole. Since I get the impression that he would love to take that down so much that he's more likely to buy it."

She has nothing to say regarding the tracking right now since she had to hear what Magtok had to say about this idea first.

[Khafir and Cessie]

The commander raises an eyebrow. "Okay, I can see the core of our misunderstanding now as I don't associate the word 'punishment' with 're-education'. Some of the terms that we're applying here seem to be lacking in properly describing you. But I digress. Since we're actually in more like than you might think now as 'reeducating' yourself in this case wouldn't be any kind of traditional educational course you could take. No, you would have to see people interact in a natural environment and take cues from them, isn't that right? Since I don't really see another way to train you in this."
Image
User avatar
Zefir
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 6:59 am

Re: Vigil

Post by Zefir »

[Briefing Room]

"We might consider a trap this way. Let's spread the news we fought him and injured him. Then the decoy can be found somewhere trying to hide and repair. If the target is really eager to get him it would at least check it out." Mia says.

"We just need a measure against the targets abilitiy. We only got a brief description. Anything else must be made either on speculation or during the encounter."
Ironsmith
Reborn Elder Poster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 13, 2022 8:44 am [Khafir and Cessie]

The commander raises an eyebrow. "Okay, I can see the core of our misunderstanding now as I don't associate the word 'punishment' with 're-education'. Some of the terms that we're applying here seem to be lacking in properly describing you. But I digress. Since we're actually in more like than you might think now as 'reeducating' yourself in this case wouldn't be any kind of traditional educational course you could take. No, you would have to see people interact in a natural environment and take cues from them, isn't that right? Since I don't really see another way to train you in this."
[Khafir and Cessie]

"...With due respect, Commander, that is what I have been doing." Khafir stiffens. "And that method's limited success is what brings us to this position, here, today. If there is no course available, then perhaps it would be prudent to apply a more hands-on approach. Surely, VIGIL has members who could be described as 'sociable'. I would suggest contracting one of them to pair with me and give me more direct feedback on what I do right, what I do wrong, and what is appropriate under a given circumstance."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 990
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Briefing Room]

"That sounds like a good plan." Wenomir nods with approval. "We mask our prisoner's real presence and fake it elsewhere, after letting our target think we've released him. Hopefully he won't be able to resist capturing his quarry while he's weakened."
User avatar
Reinholdt
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Reinholdt »

[Extraction Successful]

"I... could certainly try, but Maria is not the type to answer the phone... or reply to texts... or listen to voicemails. I'm not sure she even knows how to use one or if she just willfully ignores it in favor of whatever book she's reading at the time. She seems to have an obsessive personality that way. She is almost always in the library if you just want to swing by. Or just talk to her in the meeting I mentioned we were about to have on the project. It's an open one, so you'll be welcome to join."

Reinholdt shakes his head as Ambrosia asks who knows about her draconic existence. "I haven't mentioned your situation to anyone and I doubt Dorota has either, but I can always contact Dorota and directly request her discretion. I may share the information privately with Felandria at some point should I feel it necessary, but I don't see any reason to mention it to her before then."
► SHOW SPOILER
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vigil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Khafir and Cessie]

Cessie shakes her head. "Perhaps I should be clearer then. Since I'm not suggesting that you should go on as before. That's quite the opposite of what I'm suggesting in fact. Since I had something similar to what you had in mind. Though I can't be sure who I'd assign you to observe right now. You would have to come back to me for that one. But if you want to take the initiative you could always ask one of the members if you could observe them for this purpose and I could with their permission try to make it happen."

[Extraction Successful]

The dragon nod in a quite human-like fashion. While her expressions are difficult to decipher her other mannerisms seem more in tune with humanoids. "I understand. Sounds like its best if I participate in this meeting then. Since it would be a good way to get introduced to the others too. Then I can decide how much I'm comfortable to reveal to them myself.

So I do appreciate you keeping this a secret. Though I had assumed you had told Felandria already and if not that you will tell her now since it feels like an important detail about a new member to share with your boss. So whenever you feel it necessary to share it with her you will have my permission to do so."
Image
User avatar
Reinholdt
Old Fart Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Re: Vigil

Post by Reinholdt »

[Extraction Successful]

Reinholdt doesn't generally consider someone's race an important point of discussion to have with Felandria, but that might just be the cat in him. "Of course, thank you. I look forward to seeing you at the meeting then, though we'll get you all set up first for sure." Rein smiles at Ambrosia in confirmation of their discussion.

"Anything else? I feel like maybe we've overstayed our welcome here and should probably be getting back. I know I'm eager for a good meal and some girlfriend snuggles. Who knows how long that surgery on Klaus is going to take?" Reinholdt assumes that's what they've been working on the whole time while Rein and Ambrosia were talking. "I'll buy you lunch on the way if you want." They both earned a little extra today after all.
► SHOW SPOILER
Post Reply